Reviews of Hotel Vondel Amsterdam 4 stars

#179 of 410 hotels in Amsterdam

• Reviewed: 22 September 2018

Location was perfect.
    • Small Double Room

Although we got a small room we were not expecting it to be as small as it was. However it did not matter too much for us as we were always out and about

Location was perfect. Walking distance to the centre but away from hostels

• Reviewed: 20 September 2018

The staff and location were great but the rooms were tiny and they didn't offer any extras!

I thought breakfast would be included but Booking.com offered it for just $19 more! We thought that was high after looking at the buffet. It wasn't the type of food we wanted. There is no gym, no coffee or water in room or lobby and the rooms are tiny. We asked for 2 twins as we are two women traveling together and we were literally practically sleeping together as they didn't even pull the two beds apart!

The staff was great, friendly and helpful.

Recommended
    • Souterraine Double or Twin Room

booked the hotel through booking.com. Battling to get holding deposit or test payment back.

Location of hotel and room comforts. Friendly reception. Clean room and bathroom. Close to public transport.

Lovely lobby, restaurant, bar and staff.
    • Small Double Room

Very noisy, due to being central.

Lovely lobby, restaurant, bar and staff. Room was small but fine for what I needed. Bathroom was lovely, looked recently refurbished. Comfy bed! Great central location!

The location was excellent and very smart clean interior.
    • Small Double Room

Was woken by building work next door at 8:46am as room backed onto garden area. Was not told about any ongoing work close by on check in.

The location was excellent and very smart clean interior.

Nice stylish hotel ,lovely staff and great location

No breakfast menu for room service. Some rooms didn’t have plug sockets by the beds and no full length mirror.

Location is great and staff are very helpful.

Hotel Vondel!!
    • Small Double Room

Breakfast was great! Staff was very helpful, friendly, and professional. Bed was cozy. I had an issue with my bathroom and they sent someone up to sort it out immediately. They are doing it right. I stayed in another hotel for a night and Vondel was exceptionally better. When I come back for a visit, I will choose this hotel. The location was perfect. Outside of the hustle and bustle so you can rest quietly.

Fair because of the allocation of a substandard room to a guest.
    • Souterraine Double or Twin Room

See Second paragraph above.

A receptionist called Kaylee was very helpful. The other lady receptionist during day-shift was only helpful and eventually changed me to another basement room when I threatened to leave the hotel because a sewage stench( of perhaps a damaged sewage pipe in the bathroom) of the basement room that the male receptionist during the day-shift had allocated to my wife and I. I learnt from this experience to never prepay for a hotel room in the future. I regret to have to write such a negative report but as you sent an e-mail requesting my response; such was our experience in an Amsterdam Hotel.

Extremely helpful desk staff able to provide booking /...

We had a family of 4 and grandmother travelling - we were able to get a 3x singles room which was very spacious but wish more hotels in Europe had rooms to accommodate families eg DBL + 2 singles at least.....

Extremely helpful desk staff able to provide booking / touring advice and support. Happy to assist with anything requested - nothing was too difficult. Great location near museums and Vondel park (all within 5-10 minute walk), tram at the end of the street to train station and central Amsterdam, and a block from supermarkets and affordable eating places. Beautiful, quiet street with a real feel of Amsterdam....We would definitely stay here again

Perfect.
    • Souterraine Double or Twin Room

Contemporary style, very comfy pillows, calm breakfast time, very friendly and helpful staff who suggested where to explore to get a feel of the city to start with.

Good location. Small rooms.

Small bedroom and bathroom. Only had a view of a roof outside.

Very clean, good air con, comfy beds although asked for a double we got 2 single beds pushed together. Reception staff very helpful.

Great location and lovely staff
    • Souterraine Double or Twin Room

Room was located right below dining room so chairs being moved across floor early in the morning was disturbing

Fabulous location within easy walking distance of everywhere

The property is really close to city centre making it so...
    • Small Double Room

The property is really close to city centre making it so easy to access everything. There is also aircon...we were there in a heatwave so was a gift!

Such a nice hotel, friendly staff and great location. Would highly recommend!
    • Executive Double Room

Amazing hotel in the best location. Close to everything we wanted to see and appreciated the great air con when it was 37 degrees outside!! Very clean rooms and the beds were extremely comfy beds.

The location is perfect - it is exactly in the center and...
    • Small Double Room

The location is perfect - it is exactly in the center and everything is so near that you don’t need to use trams or buses. As well as that, the staff is always ready to help you and answer all of your questions.

Cosy and friendly hotel great location

Very friendly and helpful desk staff made touring taxis etc easy and we're happy to help us with almost anything including phone problems. Close proximity to Vondel Park and museums as well as supermarket and a range of inexpensive eating options nearby. A little more expensive than we would usually afford but convenience made it worth every cent. Would definitely stay there again.

Enjoyable, comfortable and very well informed.
    • Souterraine Double or Twin Room

Front desk staff were extremely friendly, polite and very helpful telling us on a map areas to go and what you could find where! Bed was really comfortable and room a lovely size. Good facilities in the room and bathroom clean. Security is brilliant too with entry to the hotel via your room key at the main door!

Could be better

Maybe it was an exceptionally high season, but the value for money is rather poor. For 300 Euro a night you can usually get a very decent room even in London or NYC. The room was very small and could do with a thorough renovation. Corridors are narrow and there are vacuum cleaners as well as ironing boards everywhere, so it is a challenge to get to your room without tripping over something. Very uncomfortable sink – the distance between the tap and the bottom of the sink is barely enough to place your hand under running water. I have never seen anything like this. High step in front of the bathroom door – you have to be careful esp. at night. You can have some breakfast items such as omelettes or poached eggs made to order but better stick to what is offered as part of the breakfast buffet. The quality of the ordered items was low (e.g. a poached egg was in fact hard-boiled). The standard time the preauthorized payment is blocked on your card (despite having paid the full amount when checking out) is 30 days.

Very good location near the most famous museums. A short walk to the tram stop from where you can go to the train station. Nice breakfast room.

The location was amazing.
    • Souterraine Double or Twin Room

The hallway and stairs were small and narrow. There was some uncomfortable smell at the room, some weird air freshener.

The location was amazing. The place was clean, especially the specious bathroom. Definitely an option for a future visit

Great value for Amsterdam - amazing location!
    • Small Double Room

- I was travelling on my own but access would be difficult for wheelchair or with small kids

- amazing location - friendly staff - No nonsense hotel with lovely rooms and garden

It had everything I needed including a lovely restaurant and...

Small room but that is to be expected Long wait for my room which wasn’t available until 3pm. I know they state that will be the case but when checkout is 12 you would think they might get a room ready for someone who has been travelling for 29 hours.

It had everything I needed including a lovely restaurant and a lobby to sit and read

Good central location.
    • Small Double Room

Rooms are very small. They charge extra for breakfast, and a very expensive 19 Euros.

Good central location. Very helpful and friendly staff. Room clean and modern

Lovely and nice stay.

I would not say it as something that I did not like. The room I was in may be near to kitchen area and that might be why I the food smell kept coming into the room I was in early in the morning. Not a bad thing but it may be annoying for some so maybe try to do something about it.

Location is fantastic and near to some of the major attraction that Amsterdam have to offer. The hotel staff are all very helpful and lovely. Highly recommended.

Great area and about a 20min walk to most landmarks.
    • Souterraine Double or Twin Room

Great area and about a 20min walk to most landmarks. Staff were very polite and very helpful. We enjoyed our bike hire. Our room was very large which was great however, was very stuffy and couldn’t leave room window open as it was ground floor and no screens. Staff and other residence were smoking also outside our bedroom window- we were on the back part of the complex (basically the basement). Our air conditioner couldn’t be adjusted to project in another direction and was blowing on our bed throughout the night. One night was very hot. Other then that it was a lovely stay.

Wished I could have liked staying in the hotel as much as I liked the staff.

The walls must have been paper. Could hear every single word in the room next door, including the sounds and intimacies of “marital relations”. Had to wear my headphones 100% of the time in my room, including to sleep.

The staff was fantastic, among the best I’ve ever encountered. The location was great .

The staff were excellent, warm and welcoming.
    • Souterraine Double or Twin Room

The only thing was that the twin room booked was actually a double. Swift measures were put in place to rectify things.

The staff were excellent, warm and welcoming. Everything clean. Excellent location.

Great location, friendly staff but dreadful rooms.
    • Souterraine Double or Twin Room

The room was extremely noisy, as it was under the reception area. You could hear wheelie cases and people walking across the floor above almost constantly. We didn’t get much sleep at this hotel. There was some contraption that was outside near our room that made an enormous amount of noise that was used on many occasions during our stay. The stair case down to our rooms was very narrow and steep. The carpet in the room could do with a good clean. One morning we left our room to find a hose pipe stretching from the back external door to the front external door, not exactly safe or professional.

The staff were extremely friendly. The location was good.

Ok but would suggest to look elsewhere

Very poor internet connection, the staff seemed surprised and would call the provider and tell us to go to our room to wait for the provider’s call, which could take up to 15 min.. after 3 days and 3 tries with the provider, no improvement. The staff said that was all they could do, which actually was nothing since they transferred us the problem by letting us deal with the provider. Very expensive hotel for the value !

Great Hotel
    • Executive Double Room

The room was amazing and the staff were very helpful. The hotel is in a great location, within 10 to 20 minutes walk to most attractions. Also easy to get to and from the airport from as the 397 bus from the airport stops only across the road.

very nice location next to Vondel Park, in the center but...
    • Small Double Room

apparently it's a legal requirement for them to obtain the card that you made the booking with. not sure how true that is as I told the receptionist that I don't have it with me and he said we need to send a form and then the cardholder needs to sign it and send it back to us. he made it seem very important but we never did that and everything was fine. could have mentioned it somewhere to avoid confusion.breakfast and coffee could have been better, you could tell they were using cheap coffee beans. double bed could have been bigger.

very nice location next to Vondel Park, in the center but not too overcrowded. clean modern room.

The hotel was clean and well located

Room 408 is a similar size to the linen cupboard. Unbelievably cramped with small windows and views overlooking the roof. I paid €220 euros for this room.

The hotel was clean and well located

Friendly staff, not good value for money
    • Souterraine Double or Twin Room

Personally dont like the neighbourhood, hotel room was in a weird location in the basement, so lots of noise from the road. I dont think it really represent good value for money

Nice Size room, friendly and helpful staff

Booking.com you let me down !
    • Souterraine Double or Twin Room

I booked one week before my visit on a non-refundable basis. The day before my visit Booking.com reduced the rate by 30% !! In future I will use Booking.com for very late bookings only and deal directly with hotel where possible.

Had breakfast and dinner at the hotel and both were excellent.

Clean, central and comfortable but slow wifi
    • Souterraine Double or Twin Room

Wifi is very slow - almost a waste of time

A relatively simple breakfast buffet, supplemented by a la carte omelettes or poached eggs with toppings. All served in very modern, stylish surroundings. Service in the restaurant could be slow at times (more so in the evening)

Close to tram
    • Small Double Room

Rooms are compact Expensive breakfast but lots of places to eat close by so it wasn't a problem

Close to tram Close to cultural centre and Vondel park Attentive staff - changed room due to noise from the kitchen extractor and it wasn't a problem Compact, tasteful room Free water in reception - nice touch Tram passes available from reception Clean Free Wifi Quick and easy checkin and out

Hotel Vondel, Amsterdam

The staff were lovely and friendly, the hotel was in a brilliant location, near to the museums, Vondel park and many restaurants and bars at the Leidseplein. It was quiet on an evening but ideally placed for access to most attractions.

Lovely hotel near city center! Clean rooms, reasonable rates, friendly staff!
    • Souterraine Double or Twin Room

The elevator is a bit cramped, and the stairs a it steep, but nothing really unexpected.

Very nice location near the city center. Walking distance to many activities. Staff was very friendly and helpful. Looks small from the outside, but is roomy. Room size is about as expected for a European hotel. Very reasonable rate for a Friday night stay.

Wouldn't hesitate to recommend, really lovely hotel and staff were super helpful and very polite.

Room and bathroom were very small.

Bed and pillows were very comfortable, we got a great nights sleep! Hotel is in an excellent location for exploring the city.

Breakfast was enjoyable.
    • Small Double Room

Our room was in the attic and the circular stair case was very steep (almost vertical) with extremely narrow steps. Really hard to climb up. We had to have help to get up and down with our lugggage.

Breakfast was enjoyable. Staff are very friendly and helpful.

Lovely Boutique Hotel
    • Small Double Room

Staff were lovely, all were very helpful. There was a personal note on the bed when we checked in which was a lovely touch. Beds comfy, rooms and bathroom were very comfortable. Location was excellent.

Very enjoyable stay in a fascinating city and great hotel.
    • Executive Double Room

We found the rooms very well appointed and lovely but very warm in fact too warm. Not sure why, but I would have thought the use of air-conditioning in May in Amsterdam was not required, but it was. Anyway besides this it was very good

The hotel was in a fabulous location so near to the Art/Museums etc. Fantastic street with beautiful period houses.

Do not book Souterrain/"underground" room - its not 4* level
    • Souterraine Double or Twin Room

When reseving the room, I did not pay enough attention to label "Souterrain" of the room type. In reality, it is a room that DOES NOT correspond to 4* hotel requirements - I would say 3* at best, since it is located in a basement (underground level). I am a frequent business traveller and have not seen anything like this in other parts of the world. Basically, you get a room which has windows that cannot be kept open without closed curtains in front as otherwise everyone passing by will be able to look into your room either from street (pedestrains) or from yard (hotel staff carrying boxes, other tourists parking their bicycles against your windows). I was ready to pay for room upgrade just to get a normal room above street level, but none was available as hotel was fully booked. They just offered to switch from yard view to street view, which did not make much difference - apparently, the only free room was another "Souterrain" prison cell. The pictures in hotel profile seem to be different from reality and in reality rooms are very dark due to lack of daylight. The air conditioning was too strong. If turned off (to avoid catching a cold), the room kept warming up too fast. If window towards the street was kept open, then you got all the street noises bothering you until 3AM, including singing of drunk tourists. Also, the sound isolation inside the room was very poor as we could clearly hear when neighbours were using bathroom and flushing the water each and every time. In the morning, we could hear people starting to go to breakfast die to squeaking wooden floor right above us. The facilities looked like requiring cometic refresh due to scratched paint and stains. The only design objects we saw were in lobby and some in restaurant area. Our room did not have any. So, not clear why this hotel calls itself design hotel. In short - if you happen to consider this hotel, do not reserve "Souterrain" room.

The staff was friendly, breakfast was ok. Comfortable bed, rain shower, bathtub. The location is good to arrive from airport on a public bus. Be very careful with the choice of the room type as it can substantially influence the experience of your stay.

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and enjoyed the ambience of a smaller hotel.

The stairs to our room were quite steep so may not be suitable to people with mobility issues.

As soon as we arrived at Hotel Vondel we were welcomed by Samantha, who was very friendly, helpful and very willing to answer our questions about the local area and gave us great tips on places to visit. We had a spacious room with a very comfortable bed and great bathroom. The hotel is in a great location, we were able to walk to all the places we wanted to visit, but in a quiet street.

Don't think I will be going back
    • Souterraine Double or Twin Room

Bathroom was tired. Coffee facilities provided but couldn't fill the kettle directly from the tap. Small rooms, thin walls. An expensive hotel, you could get better value for your money elsewhere.

Breakfast was good

It was a quiet clean comfortable room.
    • Souterraine Double or Twin Room

It was a quiet clean comfortable room. The location was excellent close not only to tourist attractions but to restaurants. The staff was helpful in acquiring transportation for us from the port area to the hotel and from the hotel to the airport.

Enjoyed the stay only minor downsides, great location
    • Executive Double Room

No art in room at all although mentioned as a selling point on the website. Although booking a double was presented with two separate beds pushed together with separate quilts.

Lovely bathroom; room enough for two in the tub and nice shower. Large windows and soft bed the small balcony was a welcome addition as a cigarette smoker.

A curate's egg

well, it just was not what it should be given the fiendish prices charged - as in almost all hotels in central Amsterdam. Examples are common parts upstairs tired and worn, air conditioning in our room was either windy or a hurricane - engineer could not solve it and the only solution was to sleep with the wardrobe door open to deflect the gale! On second day the drains smelt in our room, they came and put a sticky red liquid that dried on the shower drain cover and the tiles and smelt very strongly of vinegar - so shower not used after that.

Great position, lovely breakfast, friendly staff, huge comfortable clean bed

• Executive Double Room

Great location. Close to walk to the busy areas but far enough away that the craziness will not bother you. Staff was super friendly and always offered to help with anything I needed.

• Small Double Room

Room was very loud. Most of staff friendly and helpful, however one Was particularly rude. There was always a line for assistance at front desk- very frustrating.

a good breakfast and a good location!
    • Souterraine Double or Twin Room

the only thing is that our room was in the ground level -1. and there were too many noises coming from the kitchen in the morning at 7 am.. So we had to wake up really early. The price is not cheap for the room, so I guess with this price we deserved a well sleep. next time I would not stay in the ground level.

we liked the breakfast, and location was great.

A quiet spot.
    • Executive Double Room

Slopping floor in room. Old furnishings.Ugly outlook to back buildings being renovated. A long way to take heavy bags through 3 interconnected buildings.

Foyer has some great artworks. Friendly helpful staff on reception and bar. Was a quiet street for front rooms. Try to book these..not rooms looking out back.

Great hotel and best service
    • Small Double Room

The hotel should be a 3 star but the employees make it a 5 star. Rooms very, very small not possible to move around the room and the bathroom. The hotel needs a renovation and an update in technology. Breakfast buffet needs more items at this moment not worth the price , better to eat outside. Very difucult to carry the bags, specially if your room as no elevator.

Great employees from 1-10 a huge 10. Smiling and very Guest oriented. The Staff members absolutly make this hotel superb. The location very good , house keeping very good. Very nice small and sweet hotel.

We would love to come back.
    • Souterraine Double or Twin Room

Our first basement room was noisy. But after changing room, 2nd floor , we were absolutely happy.

Fantastic staff and atmosphere, contributed to make our 5 day anniversary stay memorable! Great breakfast, fine location. The staff's willingness to do all they could to make our stay great.

Don't go here.
    • Souterraine Double or Twin Room

We arrived at the hotel on the 29th having booked a Twin bedded room, to be told that only a double bed room was available. We assume, a reservation is a RESERVATION. They knew we were comming, it was booked, so why did they not keep our reservation for a twin room. We asked for 2 single rooms but there were none available. We asked if we could be accommodated at a sister hotel in Amster to be told everything was booked. Nothing was available. We said we wuld go someplace else, and could we have our money back but they said no, we would lose our money. So take it or leave it. We have got your money so don't care. Horrible experience. Small cramped room in basement, not value for money at £165 + city tax per night and not what we had booked.

Not a lot. Small cramped room in the basement. Pictures of torn carpet under the dressing table. Very small hanging space is on top of the kettle/tray. The room was under the footpath so anybody could see in. The noise from the dining room started around 6am as well as the noise from people on the street all night. And had to sleep in a double bed instead of a twin room. The bed is so high, with a base under it, need to climb onto the bed. As is the bath. Not every guest is tall!

My general impression of the hotel was very good, great location and wonderful staff.
    • Executive Double Room

The sink in the bathroom did not have any room to put your stuff.

The breakfast was excellent. The bread was outstanding. Fresh squeezed orange juice is available. The Omelet was good and I liked my Dutch pancake. The bed was comfortable. There were 2 chairs in the room for reading!

Our bedroom was just beneath the breakfast room which meant...
    • Souterraine Double or Twin Room

Our bedroom was just beneath the breakfast room which meant that we were akawened by the noise of shoes very early in the morning. Besides the twin beds were very narrow.

It has the best location in the city if you love art!
    • Executive Double Room with Spa Bath

They only have a full breakfast. I just wanted a roll and coffee. They need to add that option I think.

Service people were great and came immediately When ask to show us how to adjust the heat. Very helpful people at the desk!

We enjoyed the surroundings and easy access to transport , Vondel Park is beautiful
    • Souterraine Double or Twin Room

Price of room only to high.

The hotel is very well located, close to city but located in quiet street Beds are very comfortable and we had a gr8 nights rest.

This is my second stay at Vondel Hotel, and I can honestly say I would come back.
    • Executive Double Room

The bathroom needs more light.

The staff was wonderful - always friendly and cheerful. Our room on the 3rd floor was quiet and at the back of the hotel, so we can only recommend.

Overall delightful

They need to install towel racks. Only 1towel ring in bathroom. Tub with shower is very high to climb into so would have preferred stall shower

Breakfast was excellent and staff very welcoming and helpful. Room was clean and pleasant

Enjoyed a comfortable, non-luxurious, stay in a location that was convenient to explore the city.

The hotel is a bit of a maze and the elevator is tiny, but once you get your bearings it is not a problem.

Convenient location on the outer canal ring, close to the Rijksmuseum, Blue Boat and other tourist attractions.

Location is good, in a quiet and nice neighbourhood and at...
    • Small Double Room

The room was too small (Room #143), the ceiling had humidity and all in all it was completely different to the size, characteristics and photographs shown in the offer. This should be observed by Booking ... In the end I paid too much for what I got, it was not even possible to walk in the room.

Location is good, in a quiet and nice neighbourhood and at walking distance of the the canals, the center and the museums.

Very enjoyable stay
    • Small Double Room

Breakfast was over 17 euros per person which we thought was a bit expensive so did not avail of. Hotels restaurant Joost has a limited menu however drinks were reasonably priced.

Hotel is in Leidseplein area which has plenty places to eat and is only a short tram ride from central station. Room was small but clean and comfortable. We got a good nights sleep each night .

• Souterraine Double or Twin Room

The location of the room was not what I was expecting. Room was situated underground. Definitely not worth the money spent! Fresh bed sheets and new towels were not provided on one occasion.

Adequate
    • Souterraine Double or Twin Room

The bed room was cramped and dingy. Noisey environment: Bedroom doors on our floor all slammed shut and constant noise from workmen on our floor at early hours in the morning. Price of drinks and breakfast out of balance with the quality of the room. Appeared to group younger guests in the higher floors (We were on the highest floor) in the worst area of the hotel. Don't understand how they can class a room like that as a four star experience. If I was to stay again I would ask to see the room prior to booking.

The shower was refined and spacious. Free Earl Grey Tea. Room a safe.

Exactly what we wanted. Great location and lovely staff.

The room was very warm at night and there was no tea or coffee in the room.

The bar was excellent and the building very modern and comfortable. Great location. Staff were also very helpful.

Beds extremely comfortable !
    • Souterraine Double or Twin Room

Placed in a room in the basement. No view at all. Also right under the restaurant so all you could hear from 6 am onwards was chairs scraping across the floor. Very noisy room. Wouldn't recommend staying if put in the basement!!

Beds extremely comfortable !!

Better than I could have imagined
    • Small Double Room

We didn’t receive the room code until 10 minutes after check in which made me quite anxious all day

Absolutely amazing! Didn’t want to leave the room, wish we had stayed longer

Excellent stay in a very good hotel. Don't book lower ground floor rooms.

We booked a subteraine room which i would not recommend as there is a lot of noise coming from the rooms above ie footsteps on a wooden floor, what sounded like tables and chairs being dragged across the floor. I would stay at the hotel again but not in lower floor room. We were in room 104.

The hotel was very good, location is excellent and the beds were very comfy. Lianne on the front desk was excellent and helped us to check in for our flight home. I would recommend this hotel but not to stay in the lower floor rooms.

Great hotel in a central location
    • Souterraine Double or Twin Room

Was a bit small, but it's in the heart of Amsterdam so it's not too much of a drawback.

Nice location and very personable staff. Chic hotel and you can rent bikes at the property.

The room we were given was right below the entrance and we...
    • Souterraine Double or Twin Room

The room we were given was right below the entrance and we could hear everyone come and go all night, as well as anyone hanging out in front of the hotel. If we would have had a different room, I think I stay would have been much better.

i had a great time with my friends
    • Small Double Room

our room was bit cold the radiator didnt work but we didnt tell reception so our fault really. The door downstairs did bang quite alot in mornings. Staff were very helpful and friendly. Bed very comfy

Correct hotel close to the museums
    • Small Double Room

Small bedroom, noisy, with a bad smell in the bathroom The cheeseburger in the hotel's restaurant isn't good at all

Good location, nice staff, comfy bed

I like the building and the location, the design and...
    • Small Double Room

The roon was too small facing a courtyard full of junk. The bathroom also very small, which seems to be common in amsterdam.

I like the building and the location, the design and furnishing were new and nice.

Not recommended for anyone
    • Small Double Room

Very tight and noisy room .. you always hear the voice of the neighbors.. the internet connection is very slow .. few electric sockets and are suitable for only one type of devices !!

The location is great and the cleanliness is excellent

Browse Hotel Vondel Amsterdam traveller photo gallery