Reviews of Hotel Van Walsum 3 stars

Mathenesserlaan 199-201, 3014 HC Rotterdam, Netherlands

#23 of 58 hotels in Rotterdam

Nothing really :)

Motorbike Friendly! "You can park your motorbike in the backyard for free, because we like motorbikes". Apart from that nice staff, nice hotel, nice breakfast and spacious room. Would like to come back :)

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Safe place to leave the car for just 15€. Very friendly and helpfull staff. I asked to have a room before the nirmal xheck in time. We did arrived before the check in and they prepare the room earlier. Grwat breakfast. Definitely will come back

would have been nice to have carpet on the bedroom floor

Overall it was next to some great amenities and served its purpose for a quick business trip ....

Once I went there with partner. The rooms are perfect for 1 person, but quite small for 2.

I come to this hotel every year and it feels like coming home. Very comfortable, quick check-in and check-out, excellent bed, near the city centre, parking, bikes, ...

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Bathtub was pretty small. Doors are not at all soundproof. It was a bit annoying at night hearing the banging of doors and people talking outside.

Breakfast was really nice and complete, staff is very helpful.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

From checkin to bed and bed to breakfast was amazing. The value for money is amazing. The staff is very friendly and really helpful. They will go out of the way to cater to you!! If I come again I won’t stay anywhere else. 👍😀

• Standard Double or Twin Room

No de-caff coffee other than instant which was a shame. I wouldn’t describe the hotel by any of your descriptions. Old building some old features but properly up to date. Really good service with all requests.

I really cannot fault the place at all.

Everything was excellent. The location, the staff, the property etc was superb for the price that I paid. I cannot fault it and it will be the first hotel that I book when I return to Rotterdam.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The bed was in fact two beds mashed together- itself not so bad- but there were two separate sets of bedding which was a little odd. Bathrooms functional but outdated.

Breakfast was on point, staff was friendly and helpful, location was top notch.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The only thing I didn’t like we’re the towels

We stayed for 2 nights and found this hotel really nice, good value for money. Easy access to buses and trams and a 5 minute tram / 15 minute walk to Rotterdam Central

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Nothing. Everything was great!

The hotel has a good location very close to the station of bus 44 which goes to the main railway station and also a short walk to the metro station. The hotel is very clean, the breakfast is great and the staff is extremely friendly. Thanks for everything!

You could hear people in the corridors and upstairs talking and walking, so I had to buy earplugs to be able to sleep (I do have to say I'm a light sleeper, but the steps and talking was really there all the time). The room is small as many pointed out, so if you have a lot of luggage you'll suffer, if you have just hand luggage it won't be a problem. I had some problem with the AC noise too, and its temperature, I'm not sure but I felt like it was able to cool down the room but not to warm up, so the room felt pretty cold even with the ac turned off.

Friendly staff. Good price. Good breakfast that starts very early (good if you want to eat early and have a walk before check-out time). Good wifi. Accessible by public transportation and walking distance (I guess around 10 min) from the touristic centrum. Good soft mattress. Clean room.

Very steep stairs, just outside my door. Room sounded a bit hollow and could hear neighbours in bathroom or trying to negotiate stairs. Security concious, but not sure i liked being buzzed back in evertime i left the building. Room was small, basic and I wondered about value compared to chain hotels at competitive prices in Rotterdam I have stayed in.

Cheerful, basic, clean, family run feel, not too far from city centre. There was a breakfast every morning and seating in the garden area for those that wanted to use it. The bar was available for a late night cap. Comfortable bed!

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Breakfast: Twice there were no more coffee cups, we had to ask for some or use glasses instead. Twice there was no more bacon left. Fresh open jam would be nice.

Did not expect the room to be so small. I asked the night receptionist for a towel one night as the cleaner did not leave a new one in my room. After an hour, I went down to the reception as no one had brought me a towel yet. I thought the night receptionist was going to get me a towel and apologize. Instead as another guest suddenly arrived after I asked him for my towel, he proceeded to entertain and check in the guest, leaving me to wait until he had checked in the new guest. This really upset me and the night receptionist did not even apologize nor asked if I could please wait as he entertained the new guest. He said that he could not do anything as he was alone. I said I deserved to be treated better than that. 😖 I hope the other guests did not get the treatment I received from this particular staff.

Convenient, near tram and metro. Most of the staff were nice and accommodating. Room was cozy

• Standard Double or Twin Room

1st room could have done with a renovation - all a bit brown and bare walls. 2 nd room much brighter and nicer. Single rooms looked nice.

Staff were fabulous. Breakfast REALLY yummy.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

There can be a little noise from passers-by on a night if you have a room in the front.

Location good. Friendly family-run hotel. Good buffet breakfast.

• Quadruple Room

Pseudo-wood floors which meant you heard those running around upstairs but minor overall and staff were happy to pass on the message.

Friendly staff, great family room with comfortable beds and tea/coffee in room. Large bathroom with double sinks handy for a family. Ground floor room with access to shared garden area. Decent breakfast range. Quiet neighbourhood with a lot of nearby food options.

The staff at the hotel are very helpful and there is a great choice for breakfast. Outside is a lovely little garden/courtyard area for sitting and enjoying a coffee/drink in the evening. We liked the location of the hotel: the view from our window; the local restaurants within walking distance and city sights, like the Markthal and the cube houses; as well as good shopping. We also liked the family-run feeling. It felt cozy and welcoming, like a family-run Bed & Breakfast but with more room and facilities. The off-road parking for the hotel is a little (charming) adventure, especially if you are travelling in a larger vehicle.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

It was not directly next to the main attractions but transport was easy. The room was relatively small but that is common in Europe.

The staff were friendly, the location was close to buses and a tramline, the breakfasts were good and a lift was available. Coffee and tea and a kettle were supplied.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Nothing. Some people may have found it a bit far to walk to/from the station but it was only 20 minutes and fine for us.

Comfy bed, good sized room, eco-friendly toiletries, excellent breakfast & friendly staff. Quiet location but close to plenty of good cafes & bars.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

This is not a 3 star hotel indeed. It's a very old made hotel, the bathroom and room looks like those from 90s. Even though it was clean as much as possible, but it was feeling of old property. The bed was very rough and not comfortable.

We stayed there only a day. The street parking, free at nights, was just available in front of the hotel. The breakfast was simple, but not bad.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

This hotel was in a great location and offered twin beds which suited our travel needs. The staff were friendly and helpful with information on the area. It was very clean and the breakfast substantial. Rooms are quite small but had everything you needed. The dining lounge and patio provided alternative space for relaxing which made up for the small room. Location was excellent to walk to many restaurants and pubs, museums and right off the main transport line.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

At our arrival in the room some towels were not perfectly clean, but anyway the next days' towels were clean. The electrical grounding system in the bathroom is visible and not really appropriate. May I suggest an upgrade?

Hotel in a good position, in a quite and beautiful zone, near to tram/bus stop, for a direct run to train Central Station; you can easily go by walking to the centre. The breakfast is with a quite good choice and with food of good quality. Staff is helpful and friendly. We appreciated very much the Rotterdam Welcome Card, available at the reception. I recommend this Hotel for a stay in Rotterdam.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The room is exactly the same as depicted on photos. In the room with double bed you can find refrigerator, safe, iron and ironing board, dryer rack and electric kettle. The room is pretty spacious. Our room was located on the last fourth floor and there was a big window with great view especially at night hours with all that city lights. Breakfast is rich with fruits, watermelon slices are especially delicious. Also they serve very tasty pastry.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Bathroom was a bit under equipped for us, missing curtains, place for putting change clothes etc. Room is good in general.

Reception and service was good. Decoration is nice.

Helpful, friendly staff made extra effort to make me comfortable with thoughtful and unexpected approach to my return in late June. Good breakfasts but might benefit from some variety in cooked offerings.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The staff was very unfriendly to us. We were staying with our 2 and half year old son. This hotel and staff is not at all child friendly. They had a prejudiced mind against us. It was only once that our son drew with a pencil on one of the bedside table and chair. But for that reason they took away the chair from the room and replaced it with an old dusty, dirty chair. They did not feel like informing us before removing the chair. It was after when we asked about the chair they informed us about it and they also told us that it was because that there is a chance that our son might damage their chair that they took this decision. We felt really insulted, unimportant and unwanted. One thing to be noted is that the manager had informed us about the pencil drawing couple of days before and since then we took away all the pencil from him. Another interesting thing is that after informing them about our displeasure on the way they handled the issue, one of the staff told us that they will try to avoid such behavior, for which we replied that we would simply check out if such behavior is repeated. The last thing to point out is they did not even bother to ask us how was the stay and things like that when we checked out and left the hotel. We felt like we were staying there for free.

The staff was nice up and until the issue about chair came up (explained in detail below). The breakfast was nice and there were different types of restaurants nearby and that the central station and cool district shopping area is something like 15 minutes walk away.

The room temperature was controlled by opening the windows, which didn't have screens, so theoretically bugs could fly in. But this didn't happen. And it was nice to be able to fully open the large windows - a rare luxury.

The breakfast buffet is fantastic. Definitely worth getting up in time to make the 10:30 am deadline. Jan (or 'John' for us Americans, but I like to pronounce people's names the way they do) the front desk clerk/manager, was great for tips and advice, good conversation (not just small talk), and pouring me a drink at the hotel bar. They have a surprisingly excellent scotch selection, for about half the price as in the US.

They only had two electrical outlets in my room, far away from my bed. I asked for an extension cord, and that took them an whole day to find. They did give me a better room though for my last night. Don't stay in room number 11. Otherwize really nice! and super nice people.

• Reviewed: 7 May 2017

• Standard Double or Twin Room

We arrived at the hotel early having travelled overnight by boat to Hoek van Holland. They were very accommodating and stored our luggage to enable us to see Rotterdam unencumbered. The staff were very pleasant, the room spacious and the facilities, which we needed, spotless.

Nothing not to like.

Great older hotel with a lift! Our room was very spacious with a high ceiling. The bathroom was great. The bed very vomfortable. The breakfasts were excellent. The parking is weird - it's entrance is through a narrow roller door back up the street but once through there there is lots of space to park. The tram to the railway is very close by. If we go to Rotterdam again, we will definitely stay there.

• Reviewed: 26 April 2017

• Standard Double or Twin Room

We booked a standard room which was a little dated and the beds needed to be upgraded. Bike storage was in a locked open car park behind the hotel - it would have been nice to have had them undercover for the night as the weather was really wet on the night of our stay.

Warm welcome from the staff - extremely helpful advice on where to eat and local knowledge of the city. Great breakfast included in the room rate - excellent value for money

• Standard Double or Twin Room

For two days stay I have nothing to complain about.

Location is excellent. Personnel was very kind and supportive. Breakfast was perfect with nice variations of deserts, broad fruit choice and excellent coffee (loved espressos - a very rare occasion in other hotels to serve unlimited good quality coffees). Very good wi-fi signal.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The temperature of the room could not be maintained on warm level no matter what I've tried. Considering the climate in Holland, that's not a very nice thing for a hotel. Also there was no ventilation for the bathroom which causes some discomfort during the stay.

The room was very comfortable and the staff was very friendly. The location of the hotel is quite well. Parking was perhaps a bit expensive but still makes life a lot easier if you travel by car, especially considering the parking difficulties in large cities. Most of the interesting points of the city were just walking distance.

• Reviewed: 20 April 2017

Location was good, nice neighborhood and within walking (15 minutes) distance to the train station. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The room was very small but clean, and in all the stay was quite nice.

Could have been a little more aware of breakfast items running out. But were quick when asked for more.

Good central location, a 20 min walk from the station and 10 mins from the main shopping and restaurant/bar areas. A nice old building. Helpful, friendly staff. Tram stop round the corner. Reasonable breakfast buffet. Nice sized room.

• Reviewed: 1 March 2017

• Standard Double or Twin Room

You could hear the neighbors or the wind from your room (needs sound isolation).

Nice place to stay, nothing special, you have a bed, shower, breakfast.

parking is rather expensive

The staff is very friendly, helpfull and welcoming. The breakfast is very good, and included in the room price (at least in our case)

• Reviewed: 15 January 2017

Breakfast could have had a bit more to it. Rather limited but OK for what it ewas

Really liked the location, central but the area has some character and there were decent restaurants within walking distance. Reception desk staff (a man) was very friendly and humourous.

• Reviewed: 4 January 2017

• Standard Double or Twin Room

I would have preferred having a shower instead of a bath tub, but that is just my preference.

Our room (n. 27) was very nice and big and even had a small balcony. Breakfast was good. Reception open 24/24. Staff was very helpful and even provided guests with a list of restaurants that would be open on December 31st.

• Reviewed: 19 December 2016

That we couldn't stay longer

One of the most comfortable hotels i have stayed in, the staff went above and beyond to help us especially the young lady on reception in the mornings, she is a credit to the hotel.

• Reviewed: 10 December 2016

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Could do with a bit more space in (twin) bedroom It would be helpful to have a small safe in the bedrooms as other hotels sometimes provide

Good location and fairly quiet bedroom Able to have breakfast at 7am

• Reviewed: 5 December 2016

• Standard Double or Twin Room

No major issues. The interior decoration of the apartment could use a restyling — the 1990s look clashes a bit with the beautiful 1930s style of the building.

Lovely family-owned hotel with a charming personal touch. Excellent continental breakfast with fresh fruit, pastry, organic granola's, good coffee and much more. Very friendly personnel. When the owners joined for breakfast they recognised and greeted several guests, making clear this is a place that people like coming back to. We understand that! When we noticed we didn't have a double bed (as booked) but 2 single ones the reception first said ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ but after 10minutes they called and offered us an upgrade to the apartment next door, with a very comfy bed. (They first had to check whether it was available.)

• Reviewed: 2 December 2016

Maybe I had bad luck but the the room was very disappointing. - It had nothing to do with the pictures (very old) - Laud (you listen the water falling by the pipe upstairs and the lift) - The mattress was too soft (maybe too old too?) - The bathroom could be cleaners (I found hairs in the sink when I arrived and the shower curtains had mold. - The TV is new but the broadcast was blurred (problem with antenna?)

The staff was polite and helpful. The breakfast is very nice and complete including fair trade organic products, fresh mint tea.

• Reviewed: 26 November 2016

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The bedmatrasses were very soft. If you have trouble with your back, it would be difficult to have a good nightsleep...

Great location. After checking out, it was no problem to leave our car at the parking all day without paying extra

• Reviewed: 21 November 2016

I loved the restaurant the staff recommended on my first night, as well as the staff's laid back attitude. The single-bed room was cozy and the bathroom impeccable. Oh, and if I stay here again, I should remember to ask for the ground floor room with access to the garden. There wasn't much selection at breakfast, but I assume that's because I was there 15 minutes before it was over, every day.

• Reviewed: 21 November 2016

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The room are being tidied up too early. The first day we went back from breakfast to find the cleaning ladies in the room, which bothered us a little bit. The second day, in order to avoid that, we put the 'do not disturb' sign on the door during breakfast, only to find out that evening that they didn't clean the room at all (not that it was dirty, but we were expecting that). It's just a little spot over a very good service.

The location is really good, walking distance from the centre, and a bus stop (44) in front of the hotel to go and come from the central station. The hotel is really nice, the room was comfortable, very clean and very bright. Breakfast is really good, and the staff was always kind, friendly and helpful with every request and advise we would ask.

• Reviewed: 14 November 2016

Heating was a problem, was freezing in the night. The door was flimsy, had issues, hard to close and harder to open if the toilet door behind it was open. Toilet was in a seperate side of the room than faucet & shower which was a bit unusual, yet OK.

Best breakfast ever, really. Very friendly staff. Location is much better than one would think. Wifi was good.

• Reviewed: 7 November 2016

• Standard Double or Twin Room

They didn't unblock the deposit for the first night of lodging, the one that they block on the credit card so they can charge you in case you don't show up for your reservation. At the end of the stay you will pay the full amount and the deposit will be blocked for 3 weeks. Was told about this only because I noticed that they double charged and went and asked

• Reviewed: 4 November 2016

Decor in room 22 looking a bit tired

Approachable, friendly staff. Excellent breakfast. We've stayed at this hotel six times now and can't imagine staying anywhere else in Rotterdam

• Reviewed: 1 November 2016

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The hotel interior is a bit dilapidated. The interior needs to be refreshed. On the pictures, the interior looks much nicer, but in real it's a bit muggy. Along a busy road: the night from Saturday to Sunday, we didn't sleep so well because of the traffic noise. A bit overprised considering these points.

Great breakfast ! Good shower and great beds.

• Reviewed: 19 October 2016

The room (no.3) on the ground floor had seen better days. It was quiet except that the entrance to room no.2 was adjacent, as was the fire door to the tiny lobby for these rooms and the cellar door, and closing the doors made a lot of noise.

Convenient to Rotterdam Centraal station (bus 44 or 15 mins walk). Good breakfast. Has lift (but I was on ground floor). V.friendly and helpful staff V.clean.

• Reviewed: 18 October 2016

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Car park is a bit of a palaver to get to, we were given a key to open and close the garage door but weren't told we had to give it back, so the morning after a few people were waiting to get their car out as the hotel didn't have a spare key for the garage door. Very embarrassing!

Stayed here for one night driving across Europe. Judging by previous reviews we were expecting a beautifully decorated traditional room. However, it was a bit more like an elderly person's residence. Quite pricy too. Staff weren't overly friendly. Unfortunately I wouldn't rush back.

• Reviewed: 15 October 2016

Great staff who was always welcoming and eager to help. Beautiful room at a much higher standard than I'd expected. Awesome location, 20 mins from the central station and a lovely stroll away from the harbour area.

• Reviewed: 12 October 2016

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The accommodations are best described as "functional".

The staff were all amazing and really went the extra mile. This hotel is notable for its friendliness. The bed and bedding were quite comfortable, the garden is extremely nice, and breakfast was good .

• Reviewed: 8 October 2016

• Comfort Double or Twin Room

Not as cozy or designed as I expected; very plain, the room needs a facelift and the bed was very uncomfortable. TV reception in the room was terrible.

A rather homey atmosphere with good wifi; convenient location (near bus and tram) and 15-minute walk to the center.

• Reviewed: 6 October 2016

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Small basic room. No headboard on the bed which meant you had no support if you wanted to sit up in bed. And as we are Irish we are required by law to complain if the room does not have tea making facilities (also applies to the British). Room was at the front of the hotel, so we did have street noise.

Location was great. Easy to get to and from on public transport and the general area had a range of bars, restaurants and shops. The hotel staff were friendly. The breakfast had everything you would want or need. The quality of the food and the coffee was excellent.

• Reviewed: 29 September 2016

The room was a little outdated however clean and tidy.

Comfy bed, quiet room with a terrace (which was a nice bonus), nice breakfast, amazing garden patio, superb staff. Location was really good as well.

• Reviewed: 28 September 2016

Lovely single room, and the staff was very nice. I even became friends with one of them! The garden is really nice to chill when the weather is nice. Breakfast was amazing, I couldn't get enough.

• Reviewed: 24 September 2016

• Standard Double or Twin Room

My room was on the street side, some people could be bothered with unavoidable traffic noise occasionally, but most rooms are away from the street and are probably real quiet.

Very good breakfast, everything was very fresh!, friendly and helpfull reception, room was nice and equipped with all I could wish for, it was very nice to have a real bath tub as well! Good wifi.

• Reviewed: 23 September 2016

Lots of mosquitoes in the room… Was a bit surprised as this seems out of season - but surely, a mosquito net or repellant would've been nice.

Breakfast was alright. Nothing fancy, but you had the essentials - nice bread, fresh fruit and cheese.

• Reviewed: 19 September 2016

Room was not the cleanest and was fairly old.

Great staff, who were very friendly. Located a few minutes from the bars and restaurants. Breakfast was good.

• Reviewed: 12 September 2016

Perfect staff! Perfect falicities! Amazing stay for the value. Just wish to thank everybody for the amazing service. Hope to visit Rotterdam again soon

• Reviewed: 8 September 2016

No complaints. Our stay was too short :(

Loved everything about this really nice hotel. 1) Great location: From the Central train station it is either a pleasant 15 min walk, or a few min ride on a tram or bus. Then you simply walk to all touristy highlights - cube houses, market hall, Erasmus bridge,Lijnbaan shopping area, etc. Hotel is in a quiet neighborhood near Museum park and lively reataurant- filled streets. 2) Room: Our 2nd floor room (will be 3rd floor by american measures) felt more like an apartment- big, high ceilings, filled with light through the huge windows. Super clean. 3) Delicious breakfast was a treat! You get cereals, yougurts, cold cuts, fresh breads/buns/pastries, jams, eggs, fruit, juices/tea/coffee. I bet there were hot dishes, I did not pay attention. And you really feel a personal touch - one day among fruit there was seasonal red currant (!) plus watermelon and cantaloupe in addition to more traditional selection. When we came back in the evening, not only could you enjoy free tea/coffee, there were fruit and chocolate spreads/jams. Honestly, never saw such thoughtful touch during my extensive travels in Europe and Asia. 4) Superb service! Hotel has been in the family for 50 years. Today it is run by two brothers, but we saw "the founding" mom and dad stepping in. Staff is truly professional, nice and friendly. We got all needed directions, recommendations for great dinner places. When my watch broke, one of the girls at the reception pointed me to a cool place where she shops - so in addition to lovely memories of Rotterdam,my new cute inexpensive watch cheers me up. 5) Last but not least - unbeatable price. Honestly, for 2 nights we paid less than for a single night in Amsterdam. When Rick Steves eventually adds accomodation advice to his Rotterdam chapter, I bet hotel Van Walsum is bound to be on the list! Family owned, relatively small, great location and comfort, affordable price will enhance your Rotterdam experience as it did for us.

The only problem was a low noise of some electrical device (my conditioner was off) close to room, but just because I have a very light dreaming

Nice place, 15 minutes walking from central station. Good breakfast

• Reviewed: 1 September 2016

• Comfort Double or Twin Room

Great location - could walk or use very efficient trams. Staff very friendly and helpful; great breakfast with plenty of variety with good quality food. Parking really good if you have a car. Hotel has an elevator

• Reviewed: 31 August 2016

Some furnishings getting a bit tired, but this is not a real problem.

Good choice at breakfast. Quiet location, but close to tram route 4 - just a few minutes to City Centre and Centraal railway station. Don't be put off by low-key exterior appearance.

• Reviewed: 29 August 2016

No negative comments.

The location was great, close to central Station. Staff great, comfortable rooms, rich breakfast. Just in 5 min. distance from Metro station, and 1 min. from bus station. Especially great was the terrace, where you can relax, hide from the street heat and noise. If I would have to travel again to Rotterdam, I would choose this hotel again. Was impressed how great it was.

• Reviewed: 2 August 2016

• Standard Double or Twin Room

I was "upgraded" to the apartment. I discovered only afterwards that they do not make up the rooms and not clean it during guests' stay. Not a big issue for just four nights, but I have got to fetch some clean towels and toilette paper by myself at the reception.

Good location, good breakfast, very helpful and friendly staff. Please, make more waffles!

• Reviewed: 20 June 2016

• Standard Double or Twin Room

we stayed one night, for us this hotel was perfect, with a parking for our rented car, 10-15 min walking to get to the center, very helpful staff, very comfortable room and bed, very good breakfast.

Old building, Narrow stairs, but I know: It is the Netherlands.

Helpful staff. I had a problem with my passport ans she did her best for me

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The room was really nice, elegant and clear. We love the breakfast and the possibility to park our card.

Nothing in particular

It was a quaint hotel. Good value with discount

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The room was quite small and dark

Amazing breakfast, very friendly staff and well situated

Browse Hotel Van Walsum traveller photo gallery