Reviews of Best Western Karl Johan Hotell 3 stars

#79 of 193 hotels in Oslo

• Reviewed: 9 October 2018

Convenient and Comfy
    • Single Room - Non-Smoking

The hotel is located on a pedestrian only mall, so I expected it would be super quiet. One night big machines came and moved and dropped giant planters for hours and the next night a bid truck came and dropped those metal barriers with a clang that made you jump out of bed. Turns out, there was to be a parade and they were preparing in the middle of the night! That had to be a once in a blue moon kind of event though.

This hotel is situated in the middle of the city and as such is convenient to everything. It's an old building with lots of charm. I thought the rooms were charming too but with all of the amenities except air conditioning which we did not need at this time of the year. But when the hotel manager told me they were planning on a full renovation soon, I could see why. It would be a difficult place for a handicapped person to stay with its winding hallways and lots of 3 step down areas. The included breakfast could not have been better! There were scrambled eggs, hard boiled and soft boiled eggs, meat of all kinds, museli and yogurt, tea of all kinds, and excellent coffee. Not to be missed!

• Reviewed: 9 October 2018

Great mattress and bedding.

Bathroom lacked enough towel bars and hooks for hanging towels and clothes. It also lacked any sort of shelf space by the sink and in the shower. Adding these things would make the bathroom much more practical.

Great mattress and bedding. Wonderful breakfast included in the price, but the space in the breakfast room was smalll and it was very crowded.

• Reviewed: 7 October 2018

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Room thin on amenities such as shampoo. Soap was in a wall dispenser like an airport motel. Also, with no air conditioning system and the window open there was a lot of street noise to wee hours.

Perfect location in central Oslo

• Reviewed: 1 October 2018

The room was small but very clean and the bed was very...
    • Single Room - Non-Smoking

It was chaotic in the breakfast room because there were many guests there at once. The coffee tasted so bad. I would really recommend to have a proper coffee machine.

The room was small but very clean and the bed was very comfortable. The location is perfect!

• Reviewed: 1 October 2018

Great value for money with good breakfast in centre of city!
    • Single Room - Non-Smoking

The only negative thing is that my room was next to the elevator and the sound of the elevator was disturbing. But it was manageable.

Very happy with the hotel and the quality. The breakfast was great, the room comfortable and great value for money. Also right in the middle of Oslo centre! WOW

• Reviewed: 1 October 2018

a comfortable stay but refurbishment of the rooms and the public area will enhance the experience

Need staff to be better trained at the Front Desk to reflect a friendly and helpful hotel

It is a very good location in a very desirable area but the hotel needs a significant upgrade. It is a classic building with beautiful staircase; the corridors are wide. It has the location and the charm of old classic. The owner needs to invest appropriately to bring the best out of this hotel. The bottom line will be able to justify the expense.

• Reviewed: 28 September 2018

Excellent location, huge room, spacious bathroom with heated...
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Excellent location, huge room, spacious bathroom with heated floors. Very friendly stuff, they gladly accommodated our luggage in the storage room for a day while we were on fjords excursion. Much recommended!

• Reviewed: 27 September 2018

it was good in general
    • Single Room - Non-Smoking

there was a lot of food but.. it was not very testy. shower too strong no glass to cover properly, water went everywhere in the bathroom

bed was comfortable, towels very clean

Perfect location expensive for the room.
    • Superior Double or Twin Room

The elevator making a strange noise sound and the next day of our stay it was off so we need to move our luggage from the third floor to the ground floor by the stairs.

Location is the big pro of this hotel, food is tasty, clean, and comfortable
    • Superior Twin Room

There was a receptionist named George, probably a new one, that lied to us. As we came to the hotel we understood that we need to extend our stay in the hotel for another day. The guy told us there were no rooms available (which was a lie) and if we want the room we had we need to pay a lot more. He charged us extra 500 NOK. To our good luck, we didn’t complete the extension of our stay in his shift and came back later on when Diane was in the reception. She immediately extended our stay in the same room without any extra payments, and with a 😃

Diane the receptionist was so kind, helpful, skillful, and pleasant it was so very good experience. She did her best in very short time to help us

• Reviewed: 20 September 2018

Beautiful old hotel

Excellent location, within walking distance to all major attractions, Very friendly staff and a beautiful old building I would recommend this hotel to anyone staying in Oslo.

The hotel is a grand old thing in a perfect location and was definitely worth a visit.
    • Superior Double or Twin Room

The hotel is overall a bit tired but has plenty of character The main street was very noisy so if you are a light sleeper ask for a room at the back

Great location as we overlooked main street and were close to everything. Breakfast was lovely with plenty of variety and the dining area looked over the rooftops of Oslo. Staff, including the front desk and cleaners were very friendly.

Good location, nice building, friendly people, needs air-conditioning
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

No actual air-conditioning in the rooms, forcing us to open the window for some cool air, and also letting in the sound of revellers and construction machinery from outside.

Friendly, welcoming reception. A very good location right opposite the park in the heart of Oslo, walking distance to most downtown places. Good wi-fi.

• Reviewed: 30 August 2018

Great location, good staff and again great location.

Everything was superb for the price.

Great location, good staff and again great location. The staff upgraded to a suite for a nominal amount and we loved it.

An excellent stay, my second at this hotel, and I can recommned it to anyone.
    • Standard Single Room

The reception area was very limited and inadequate place to wait for transport. I realise that space is at a premium and this was only a minor inconvenience.

The reception was excellent (even remembered me from last trip). the breakfast were very good, the location could not have been better. I really cannot fault the whole experience.

It was very good.
    • Superior Double or Twin Room

A bit of old fashion style of room. Room looks empty, not filled with comfort of the rest of hotel.

It was very good. Many different tings that you can choose. Fresh and nice served.

I can't say I find something that I didn't like.

Location is the most important for my trip to be a success story and this time was 100% successful. Everything is at walking distance, really great location. Great great breakfast and the last but not least, a BIG THANK YOU to Irene who transformed a possible disaster into a great stay.

You cannot beat the location!

The bathroom was nice but the shower was quite small for my taller partner. However, I’ve heard this is quite common for Oslo hotels. Would still very much recommend the property

You cannot beat the location! We were in town for a wedding and every place we needed to be for the festivities was right there! The staff were so lovely and helpful! The bed was comfy and the room clean. The breakfast was also nice to have included in the room and saved on having to buy a meal in a very expensive city. Would really recommend!

Recommended for visit Oslo
    • Single Room - Non-Smoking

The temperature is my room was to hot and the room was rather small. There was no international channel-TV.

The hotel is very well located in the center of OSLO. You can access everywhere by walking.

• Reviewed: 25 August 2018

Very comfortable stay.
    • Superior Double or Twin Room

Great location and view from room. Close to sights to see and 10 mins walk to railway station. Lovely boutique type hotel with great character. Very helpful, informed staff.

hard to beat

no issues

Outstanding location!! Closer to the National Theater train stop from the airport than the Sentrum Train Station. Remarkable location for all sightseeing (HOHO Bus stop 1 minute walk). Lots of shopping and food all around as well. Breakfast buffet was wonderful and front desk agents were super helpful and kind. Rooms don't have A/C but they equipped the room with an oscillating desktop fan.

good location close to everything
    • Superior Double or Twin Room

Not so much the hotel fault as we arrived in a heat wave and there is no air conditioning at all The staff were very apologetic although not their fault The breakfast was a stuffy hot area with too many people for the space

Hotel was right in the centre of everything and a 10 minute walk from train station ..close to restaurants and staff friendly.Room we had was quite large for Europe We had a great view from our room

Don’t stay here

The hotel looks old, the carpets are dirty and worn, there was a bad smell in the corridors, the beds were uncomfortable, and some mechanical noise from outside was loud throughout the night. We decided to skip breakfast even though it was included.

Our rooms had high ceilings and large windows.

Left us with great memories of Oslo
    • Superior Double or Twin Room

Some days the breakfast room was cramped.

Friendliness of the staff. Excellent location. The room we were provided was wonderful, large and great views.

the location is convenient.
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

no air conditioning, so if you visit there in summer ,don't choose it .besides, our price includes breakfast ,but the next day we are in a hurry to take the train. the hotel gave us two cookies. so disappointing.

the location is convenient.

• Reviewed: 8 August 2018

Good location though.
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Poor Breakfast, a old hotel that needs some investment. It's heyday was probably back in the 1960's, it badly needs to be updated.

Friendly staff.

Terrific location, but otherwise quite average and overpriced
    • Single Room - Non-Smoking

Room was too hot and noisy with no air conditioning. Toilet was inside shower/wet room area and got wet ever time you take a shower!

Comfortable bed

Excellent location and very good breakfast.
    • Single Room - Non-Smoking

There was no air conditioning and the room was very small and hot, but according to them it was an unusually hot summer this year.

Excellent location and very good breakfast. The staff were very friendly and helpful

Good basic hotel for a few days stay.
    • Superior Double or Twin Room

Bathroom was quite dark and old looking. The breakfast room was quite small and had really poor circulation so even though the breakfast was good, it was hard to enjoy it.

Huge spacious rooms with big open window. Decor quite dated but clean. Staff were very helpful.

• Reviewed: 27 July 2018

The location is excellent.
    • Superior Double or Twin Room

I really feel my ‘welcome’ at reception was a bit too detached and disinterested. The older lady checking me in just went through the motions of checking me in - She was nice enough but I had to ask about breakfast, whether there was a lift and about air conditioning. After these questions I decided not to ask further about recommendations for getting around although that is so important for the new tourist in Oslo. It can be a puzzling place for the tourist (learning how to access the trains and trains etc) and I didn’t see an Oslo tourist centre anywhere in my 2 days so this kind of reception support would be so valued. Other reception staff after my checkin were much warmer and more helpful. Tips for visitors? This location is extraordinarily expensive for eating and you might be better placed staying in a more residential area. I walked for ages on both nights trying to find a place that was not too hot and not too expensive! I settled for an Italian both nights on the city hall square with efficient service and a welcome breeze from the harbour - called Fila something I think! Their pizza was great and pasta was only average but at least both nights I paid just under $50 for the main and glass of wine. The Vigeland Sculpture Park really is worth a visit - with the heat though I recommend doing that visit first thing in the day before the heat stings - I took the no 12 tram from the tram stop down at the harbour on the fortress side- buy your tram ticket first though- the Narvessen kiosks sell these and a lot of the train tickets also. You validate your ticket on the tram. If you like Ibsen you could time your return to town from the sculptures for the 11 am opening of the Ibsen museum - a superb English guided tour of Ibsen’s apartment starts each hour on the hour. I got there a little early and enjoyed a good coffee at Pascal’s cafe just next door - they have great looking food also but I didn’t end up trying it.

The location is excellent. Very centrally located with an easy walk to the harbour, city hall, national gallery, Ibsen’s wonderful museum and the royal palace. I stayed there for 2 nights during their unprecedented hot days in a superior room- it was warm but I could leave my window open all night and I had a fan which I certainly used.

• Reviewed: 27 July 2018

Basic with great free Breakfast. Good value for money.

Room was small but that's to be expected at this price/location. Heatwave in Oslo caused some trouble for the hotel that doesn't have AC or even a good ventilation system so we had to leave the window open listening to the garbage trucks at 6am. But that's downtown so I don't blame the hotel.

Smack in the middle of the main street. Walk to everything downtown. Great breakfast (as is usually the case in Norwegian hotels), caring and friendly staff. Room fan didn't work but staff swiftly repaired it after reporting the issue.

Awesome location, beautiful hotel, very comfy. Near train. Loved it.
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Loved this hotel!! Amazing location, we walked from the train! Walking distance from the train was a priority for us. Beautiful structure and lovely art lining the walls. Beds so comfy, and we had a window that overlooked the street. It's a nice area with a park nearby, lots of restaurants and shops. Highly recommended.

Great location;

One of the front desk staff was unwelcoming, rude, and not at all helpful.

Great location; excellent breakfast; good value. Most staff are very helpful and accommodating.

Excellent position and fantastic weather which meant a few downsides with the hotel.

Unfortunately there was no air conditioning as it’s an old hotel but we did have a fan. Because of the unusual hot weather we needed to have windows open at night and it’s was extremely noisy with a ? Night club thumping all night and lots of young shouting etc outside. The breakfast was in the attic which felt a bit claustrophobic in the heat. However I understand this is not usual for Oslo.

Large room in central location very easy to find and get to from station. Easy to walk to harbour area for ferry and meals by the sea and fortress.

Our stay was pleasant, primarily due to very friendl and accommodating staff.

Staff was extremely accommodating; the weather was unusually hot and the front desk staff gave us a choice among four different rooms to find one that was a cool as possible.

Enjoyed the stay and would recommend this hotel to others.

The room would get a bit hot, but we didn't open windows at night due to street noise.

Great breakfast and great hotel location. Friendly and helpful staff.

Very bad hotel
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

I paid for a room with a window, and got something more like a basment, a window facing metal ventilation basically had no window. The room was extremly hot, not ventilated and no AC, I was sweating the ENTIRE stay in that hell room. the breakfest - food was great, but it was in a tiny room, no ventilation, standing for 15 min untill people clear out to get food, after all that you sit to eat and sweat like your'e in an oven. No lobby at the hotel or even bathroom at the ground floor. No place to pur anything in the bathroom, only the sink itsel. No hair conditioner or body lotion. Very bad hotel overall!!!

Good location, but there are plenty of other normal hotels in that are- not worth it!!

Just central location but should be renovated and modernized also ...

1- No air condition or climatization ! 2- Hot rooms 3- ventilators in the rooms and expecting from customers to bear hot weather by using these 1980-style ventilators and trying to sleep in humid and hot rooms. 4- carpets smell bad due to humidity and hot weather, 5- no slippers in rooms, 6- very small rooms, 7- breakfast is far from moderate, 8- customer profile

Very very central location on Carl Johan's Gaten Street (Main street of Oslo) and very helpful reception.

Hotel very pleasant. Staff great. Breakfast staff especially helpful.
    • Superior Double or Twin Room

the gay pride thing was on and extremely noisy. Ruined our peace and quiet. Too many crowds

Staff moved us to a quiet room as our room overlooked the gay pride encampment

Excellent room, locationn and staff!
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Bathroom didn't have an exhaust so it felt very stuffy after a long hot shower especially considering the size of the room. Very minor thing but thought it be worth the mention, everything else was great

The breakfast was amazing, room was a touch smaller than expected but was still a very good size, especially considering the unparalleled location on Karl Johans Gate. Bed was very comfortable, room was clean. Windows didn't fully open but they did provide a fan to help circulate the air in the room. Staff were excellent to deal with, very friendly and accommodating, overall a very comfortable stay and the location just can't be beaten! Every thing is at the doorstep

I have stayed here twice, and both times been happy with it
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

The only thing I would say, on my first stay here, the room I had, the shower was awful... it was a small space with a curtain that constantly clung to you while you were trying to shower.

I have stayed here twice, and both times been happy with it

A nest away from home.
    • Family Room (2 Adults + 1 Child)

The cleanliness of the premises and especially the rooms. Breakfast was varied and products were very fresh. The hotels' location was simply excellent.

Overpriced
    • Standard Single Room

The room was tiny and in great need of A/C, and a general makeover. The shower was too close to the toilet, the toilet was even behind the same shower curtain! Breakfast was nothing special and a very boring room with low ceiling. I would expect a lot more with prices like that!

Only the location.

Unique and charming.
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

There is NO air conditioning, and with unusually warm weather it made for a miserable night. The windows only open a few inches, so we couldn't even get a breeze. There was a supplied fan, but inadequate for the heat. The electrical system is quirky. You need to keep your room key in a slot by the door to energize all of the electrical system in your room.

Gorgeous hotel. Extremely pleasant and helpful staff.

Fantastic location, comfy bed and good breakfast

The breakfast room was extremely hot and stuffy. Maybe some airconditioning in the seating area could help.

Fantastic location, comfy bed and good breakfast

Very good breakfast but no gluten free bread available.
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Room was very small and with no view and basic furnishings. Bathroom was exceptionally small and cramped.

Very good breakfast but no gluten free bread available.

Wonderful hotel to stay at. IF the temps are warm, request a fan. IF cooler weather, perfect place.
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Because the temperatures were abnormally warm (80+) and rooms are not equipped with Air Conditioning, our room was very warm.

Great breakfast. Quaint, old fashioned hotel with warm atmosphere.

It was pricey but close to attractions, restaurants and the train stations.
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

The room has a step down from the bathroom to where the bed was a little odd. The room was very small. They had a honor bar.

It was close to restaurants and within walking distance to many attractions,(opera house, palace, Ferris wheel)

Breakfast hall too small, low ceiling, hot and airless
    • Superior Double or Twin Room

Breakfast hall too small, low ceiling, hot and airless Lobby too small and only two sittings No toiletries, (only liquid soap) No facilities gym etc.

OK
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

The view from the bedroom was diabolical. (see the photos) We were on the top floor. In the high wind the wind howled around in the roof space and plastic was flapping loudly (I suspect this also was in the roof space.) There was no room safe and no tea/coffee making facilities in the room - only an unbelievably expensive mini bar! Large trolleys were lined up in the corridor outside our room! We've stayed here before but this time our luck was out when it came to room allocation! Also, no bacon available at breakfast! There was no drawer storage in the room only a smal hanging area and a luggage rack.

The best thing about this hotel is its setting - right in the middle of one of the main streets and within comfortable walking distance of Aker Brygge, Akershus, the Opera, the stations

The breakfast was excellent.
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

The bathroom didn't have any shelf space. The hairdryer was very weak.

The breakfast was excellent. The armoire in the room was very useful. Approx.10 minute walk from the train station made a taxi unnecessary.

Poor communication facilities detracted from a pleasant stay.
    • Superior Double or Twin Room

We arrived on a Saturday to be advised that the internet service was down and it would be Monday before a technician could look into the problem. It still was not functioning by Tuesday PM when we left. In today’s environment the is exceptionally poor service because we live in an age of IT dependancy.

Location - excellent with good outlook over the Square/Plaza in front of the hotel. Very convenient to rail stations for airport link.

Staff, Absolutely Fabulous
    • Standard Single Room

Magnificent position on mountain but very basic accommodation facilities and rather difficult to get to and from is relatively isolated but some people would think this very good feature. Meals were plentiful but of average quality.

Staff, Absolutely Fabulous

Perfect for those who want a great Oslo location and great price, and don't mind average inside.
    • Superior Double or Twin Room

The property is older and is a little bid faded in spots, but that its to be somewhat expected for the price.

This hotel is well priced and perfectly located in the center of the city, on the main street of Oslo. It's an older property with some character that has a turn of the century grand facade , but the property has been 'modernized' inside. The decor is more functional rather than "designed." It represents a great value for those who want a great location and good night's sleep, but don't need to be in style hotel.

• Superior Double or Twin Room

We were on one night trip to oslo, so we did not take any shower gel or hair shampoo, since there is always some in hotels. So I washed my hair with one wich was hanging in the shower where was written “ shower gel/shampoo” . Smell and texture was strange. I opened the dispencer box and it was hand soap in it where date of expiry was 2017 :(

Overall we loved this small hotel.
    • Superior Double or Twin Room

I know it’s not the hotel’s issue but the entrance would certainly be more attractive and inviting if the storefronts on the ground floor near the entrance were still open. Currently it looks rather deserted as you approach the hotel.

The location, the old world gracious feel, the staff, the bountiful included breakfast. All great!

Outstanding location and amenities.
    • Superior Double or Twin Room

I had to wait 4 hours to get into my room. They were very strict about the 3PM deadline the day I arrive. On another day, I overheard a guest happily checked in at 1PM.

Beautifully maintained and restored 1920's hotel. Grand staircase with spacious lovely hallways plus art on the walls. Elevator of course. Breakfast exceptional --even shrimp salad! Room ceiling was probably 14 feet. Windows were huge, openable, and very soundproof. Double be was really 2 singles nestled together. Bathroom was thoroughly modernized. This hotel is across the street from a park. Take the Arlanda Express form the airport and get off at the National Theatre stop.

Excellent breakfast in a very simple and efficient manner ie...
    • Superior Double or Twin Room

We arrived at 2.30 pm after a 25 hour flight. Our room still was not ready at 3.30 so we went for a walk - not what you want after being travelling for so long.

Excellent breakfast in a very simple and efficient manner ie, self serve with the food always looking good.

After two trials of stay: never again!
    • Standard Single Room

Room was like a smallest cabinet under the roof. Not acceptable! Breakfast: everything sold out at any time. Bring a lot of timeto enjoy. Incredible!

Not much.Personnel very friendly. Thats all.

Nice location and good breakfast.
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Afternoon staff was a bit off putting with questions. It was as if she had something better to do.

The location is perfect. Right in the heart of town.

Excellent place for reasonable price as starting point to explore Oslo

Surprised by high prices of minibar, quite a narrow bed for 2 personnes

Excellent location directly in the city centre, just few minutes of walk to metro. Big choice of delicacies will nail you long for breakfast.

Relaxing stay in a perfect location. Would definitely return
    • Superior Double or Twin Room

The beds were extremely comfortable. The room was spacious looking out over Karl Johan street. A beautiful stair case led up to the rooms, lifts also available. The breakfast was tasty and plentiful. There was a waffle maker and my niece loved making her own waffles every morning.

Handy for the sights of central Oslo
    • Superior Double or Twin Room

The only (minor) moan was a lack of coffee making facilities in the room, however the use of the business suite located on the 3rd floor made up for it with fresh brewed coffee - not bad for a machine!

Excellent location from which to discover central Oslo. Our room on the 4th floor was clean, spacious and very comfortable, although the heating was a bit much. The views out onto Karl Johan Gate, with Parliament to the left and the ice rink to the right was a plus. Reception staff were really helpful and welcoming. Another plus was the Breakfast buffet, which was plentiful and set you up for the day.

Breakfast was superb delicious.
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

The route to room was consisted some steps which going up and down. As we are carrying the lugauge of 23-25kg per person, it’s actually a tough scope for us to walk from Lift towards the room.

Breakfast was superb delicious. Room was clean & comfortable.

Loved the location, great for using the metro and being near...
    • Superior Double or Twin Room

Room was lovely, but pillows need to be updated, very thin

Loved the location, great for using the metro and being near the shops, bars and restaurants

Good location in central Oslo everything within walking distance.
    • Superior Double or Twin Room

No tea or coffee facilities in the room but was available on ground floor & 3rd floor communal TV room.

The receptionist was very obliging & changed our room with little fuss. The room was spacious clean & had a large window facing out onto the street & gardens. Breakfast was very good too. Liked the ice machine available on 4th floor handy for our drinks.

It was a Ryanair of Hotels but in a nice location.
    • Superior Double or Twin Room

There was music pumping from either below or above my room when I went to sleep at 12am and when I woke up at 7am. It was continuous and annoying. The hotel was basic with nowhere to go eat or drink within it.

Gorgeous looking hotel set in the heart of the tourist area...
    • Superior Double or Twin Room

The hotel is situated on the Karl Johans Gate so there where a lot of bars and restaurants near it so we could hear music thumping until 3am which resulted in a frustrating night of interrupted sleep.

Gorgeous looking hotel set in the heart of the tourist area of Oslo the staff were great and the room was clean and comfortable.

Excellent stay. Highly recommended!
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

There was no electric kettle in the room. There was one downstairs in the lobby with tea, coffee and hot chocolate but it would've been nice to have one in the room.

Price was great and the location couldn't be better! Close to restaurants, shops, a lovely park, the water and all sorts of public transportation. The beds were comfortable and the night lights at the side of both beds were great. Plenty of water pressure in the shower and lots of hot water. Great breakfast and good coffee.

Beautiful old building with modern comfort.
    • Superior Double or Twin Room

I would have preferred a double bed instead of two twins.

Great location. Beautiful old building. Loved the staircase (but it does also have an elevator). Breakfast was great.

Great location right opposite the parliament building.
    • Family Room (2 Adults + 2 Children)

I liked everything nothing not to like.

Great location right opposite the parliament building. Friendly staff and very helpful. This is my 4th visit to the hotel and will be back in the near future.

Our home (away from home) in Oslo

There are small drawbacks which are not huge issues for us on a grand scheme of things: - Double bed in the standard double room we stayed in last time was quite small for 2 people - There is no safe so we locked our valuables in the suitcase - No toiletries apart from the shower gel pump in the shower

We have been visiting Oslo for 4 years in a row now and have always stayed at Best Western Karl Johan hotel. It has many major pluses: - Location: very central, 7-10 min walk from the central train station, which means you get very quickly from the airport to the hotel. It's opposite of the Parliament building on a major shopping street and within short distance to the metro and Royal Palace, Opera House, etc - Great value for money considering how expensive hotels are in Oslo - Rooms are good size with comfortable beds and soft bed sheets. There is also a choice of smaller and cheaper rooms for solo travellers - Beautiful old building with great staircase and décor - Amazing choice of breakfast food (we love waffles that you can make on the spot). There is also a tea station available throughout the day - Nice and friendly staff - Under-floor heating in the bathroom - Mini fridge

Friendly reception staff.
    • Superior Double or Twin Room

The hot water system was poor. Had to run the hot water in the shower and hand basin much, much too long to get any heat. Double bed had 2 single duvets - is this a new trend?? Not very good on a cold January

Friendly reception staff. Excellent corner room on 1st floor overlooking the square. Breakfast food was very good

Easy and convenient
    • Standard Single Room

Bed and pillows could have been more comfortable but it was just fine for a short stay.

Very good location, smooth service. I especially enjoyed that breakfast was served an hour longer on Sunday.

Central location with the Royal Palace and Parliament at...
    • Superior Double or Twin Room

Central location with the Royal Palace and Parliament at either end of the road. Price reasonable for Oslo standards. Great view of Karl Johan's Gate if you have a room that faces the front. Staff friendly and accommodating. Breakfast is a wise move for how much food costs in Oslo! The breakfast was probably the best hotel breakfast I've had. Lots of choice of hot food, salad bar, fresh fruit, cereal, bread, waffles. Catering for allergies they had gluten free, lactose free and vegan options.

Browse Best Western Karl Johan Hotell traveller photo gallery