Reviews of Scandic Holberg 4 stars

Holbergsplass 1, Frogner, 0166 Oslo, Norway

#95 of 157 hotels in Oslo

• Queen Room

Filthy towels, no room service, tv not really working, stuff on the floor. Waaaay too expensive for the value. Same price as Grand hotel room but the inside of the hotel its same as staying a the boat to denmark. Need to upgrade that hotel with those prices

• Family Room

Oslo is expensive. We are American and traveling with American children and, thus, felt like the loudest and most obnoxious people on Earth (even though our kids are actually quite reserved, that's just Norway for you).

Amazing breakfast. Very comfortable room. Easy walk to several restaurants. Friendly and helpful staff.

• Queen Economy

We arrived in an unusual high temperature for Norway and the hotel did not have air conditioning in the room. This caused us to get very little sleep due to being hot. Rooms are a little small.

An OK location, but there is a Tram (Light Rail) stop just outside the hotel which gets you anywhere in Oslo quickly and easily. Approx a 20 min walk to the Norway Opera Building, 15 minute walk to Oslo Central, However on the tram it took just a couple of minutes to either location. If you're coming in via public transport, you will want to stop at Holberg Plass for the hotel. The breakfast each morning was great, and we never had a problem getting a table.

• Queen Economy

There were no convenient plugs. The bathrooms looks like it's from the '80s.

Breakfast was amazing. All the rest was mediocre and old. The hotel is clean and nice staff.

• Queen Economy

The room was very hot through the night so had to have the windows open, then a lot of street noise which meant disturbed sleep.

Location was great, easy to get around to places and for the shuttle bus to the airport. Receptionists were great and on hand to help. Breakfast was good but limited for vegans I did speak to reception to see if could accommodate something, they said would speak to kitchen but nothing followed up.

• Queen Room

There was to much light in the room in the morning. The curtains aren't good enough. And they set up the room for 1 person. There was one pillow and blanket on the bed while we where with two persons. But there was an extra pillow and blanket in the closet.

The hotel is at a perfect location near the royal palace. The breakfast is great. They have glutenfree options and the buffet offers many options of great food and drinks. The hotel is clean and the rooms are big. The bathroom is fine.

• Queen Economy

The hotel seems to be old and overused - you can particularly see it in some of the furniture, the doors in the hallways etc.; it is well taken care of, but looks like it needs a complete redo. One little thing in the breakfast area: they have 3-4 types of nice bread available but you have to slice it yourself manually. This leads to constant queues and it is a bit annoying, as it could be easily avoided.

Location - walking distance to City hall, the National Theatre, Aker Bridge and literally few steps from the tram stop. Very close to the Royal palace & park, overall nice surroundings. Bonus: the Flybuss from the airport takes you directly to Hotel Scandinavia which is 2 minutes away from the Scandic Holberg. Breakfast - generous, includes pretty much everything you could possibly need. Bathroom - recently renovated, very clean. Staff - discrete, but helpful, we were able to leave our luggage half day after checkout in the luggage rom.

• Queen Economy

If you treat this hotel as a 3 start hotel, it will exceed your expectations. It is definitely not a 4 star hotel. The room was amazing (had one with the slanted roof), the breafast was superb, bathroom was a bit meh and the shower was definitely old. Overall it was an excellent stay, but then again, only if you consider it a 3 star hotel.

• Queen Economy

Old lift/elevator. Bit difficult to enter hotel with pram due to makeshift ramp and heavy doors.

Good value for money. Also no charge for a baby cot, which was much appreciated! Like the other reviews, breakfast was great selection.

• Queen Economy

My husband and I were guests to Scandic Holberg from 16 Mar to 18 Mar 2018. We would like to complain about the treatment we got from your hotel. First of all, we have put in our booking that we would like to have a double bed for our stay. We have also made a note in our booking that we would arrive past midnight due to our flight time coming from London. However, the staff at your hotel missed all these details and gave us a twin bed room instead of a double bed one. Although I understand the it was only a choice of "preference" for room types, please do understand though if you gave guests an option to choose they would expect the room type they had preferred. The second thing is for the first room we got the manual lock did not work and we could only rely on the digital lock. Considering we stayed on the second level we were rather concerned about the security. However, we did not have a better choice given your hotel's mishandling of our booking. We could only stick with the rather disappointing room which was not even up to the quality of the room type we had preferred. On the second night, we were finally given a change of room. The key card didn't work and we had to go back to the reception to renew the card. That was such a hassle and very disappointing again. To more of our disappointment, this time in the room the toilet flush did not work properly and every new flush had a waiting time of roughly 30 minutes. Imagine you are in a hurry in the morning to get ready for sightseeing you simply have to have for 30 minutes to flush for another person to use the toilet. This was a huge inconvenience I did not expect from a four-star hotel. On top of that, we had only single duvets but not a double duvet as it should be for a double bed. I simply cannot say how frustrated I was given the limited time I had to struggle between sightseeing and complaining to your hotel.

Breakfast is the only thing that is good in this hotel.

• Queen Economy

Tea making facilities missing, dirty rooms, furniture from another century and rude service. We booked the Queen room and at 1st night we were given a triple room, after we complained they said they couldn't do something and maybe they fix it the next day! Eventually they did but their behaviour wasn't apologetic at all.

Location is good.

• Queen Economy

Breakfast was very bad. Food was too old. It was clearly keept for many days and brought back in to the buffet even though it was too old. I am suppried I didnt get sick. Staff was not helpfuld and didnt take it seriously when a blouse was stolen from out room. Bad service.

The breakfast was honetly awful. It is true there was a lot of different things to choose from but it was poor quality and much of the food had been there way too long. Cucumbers completely soft. It was actually kind of disgusting. Coffee pretty bad too. Staff was not very helpfuld. When a blouse when missing from a room they did not take it seriously.

room was very clean but fairly equipped. the fridge was empty, no house slippers available and only one blanket. no iron and iron table in the room but this is available on the 5th floor (just for your information).

excellent location walking distance from the city center with some shops and restaurants closeby. Very good and diverse continental breakfast (ex. nice selection of high quality bread) and very friendly staff easily available for any additional request. There was no way to have a coffee or tea in the room but later I realised this was available for free in the hotel's lobby, which was great. In the afternoon a nice hot soup was offered for free, an unexpected and appreciated bonus.

• Reviewed: 15 December 2017

• Superior Twin Room

Strange smell in bathroom, no electrical outlets next to the bed The breakfast was nothing special, worse than in other Scandic Hotels that I had occasion to visit.

• Queen Economy

The hotel is overpriced. Most of the furniture in the room were old and uncomfortable. There was only one elevator and it was not easy to get to it with your luggage from the reception. The room where breakfast is served is rather small. It was difficult to get a seat and enjoy the meal.

Breakfast was good. Bathroom was big and clean with all necessaries.

• Queen Economy

Ok... when I booked the hotel I booked a Queen economy, based on the picture and price. When we arrived the room we were given was not as advertised and was very small. The bathroom was tiny. We complained it wasn’t as advertised on booking.com and were offered the advertised room (which is a Queen). I’m glad we complained as the smaller room certainly was not value for money. So if you arrive and it’s not as per the picture, please do the same. There is no kettle or tea and coffee in the room, and there’s could easily be. It would be very useful. The shower in the bathroom was powerful but the water leaked from the shower through the bath as they were not attached. The hotel is a bit dated. It probably needs a refurb. There are engineering works outside the hotel to repair the tram or road (Oct, 2017). Luckily, it was a weekend so they weren’t working.

The hotel is on the other side of the city centre, nearer to the University I think, but as Oslo is quite small it really isn’t a problem to get around on foot. It’s very close to a beautiful park and probably quieter than right in the city. There was a free breakfast with plenty of choice, and as Oslo is expensive, it’s nice to get a free meal. Our bed was very comfortable, the room was spacious and there was a TV. It was fine for a weekend stay and I’d compare it to a cheaper version of the Jury’s Inn if you are from the UK.

• Single Economy

I stayed twice and the second time my room, though clean, was down a narrow hallway and was extremely cramped with a small window facing the tall building next door; not a pleasant space. HOWEVER, I asked for a different room and was given a very nice one with a little balcony the looked out into the city. I would not have been terribly happy if I'd had to stay in the first room. I'd suggest having a look at the room they assign you to make sure you don't get stuck in one like it.

Breakfast is unbelievable. A huge variety to choose from: Cereals, breakfast pastries, boiled and scrambled eggs, bacon, poached salmon, four or five varieties of wonderful freshly baked loaves of bread, juices, excellent coffee. Best breakfast I've ever experienced at a hotel.

• Queen Economy

I prefer more storage in my room (shelves or drawers) so that I can fully unpack my luggage.

Breakfast was excellent, Hotel was quiet (apart from the roadworks but even these were not too intrusive) Bed was very comfortable. Staff were helpful . The location is central and very close to National Theatre mainline and T-Bannen station.

• Superior Twin Room

Crappy room. The washbasin in the bathroom did not have hot running water. Seemed to be a problem with the hot-cold mixer. I reported the same to the front desk manager and they said they will look into it. Extremely expensive room rate for the ameneties provided. The mini-bar was empty - with a small poster saying something like I need to pick up stuff from the reception - which always has stock. Looks like I got ripped off. The hotel is next to a tramline and there are road repairs outside the hotel. The tram rumbles by early in the morning and if you are a late sleeper, then you are bound to be disturbed.

• Queen Economy

hotel is expensive in oslo, as usual... there is going road construction around hotel...

awesome breakfast in very very expensive oslo! room was comfy. bed and pillow very comfortable. staff was very helpful and kind.

• Queen Economy

The room was too hot and there was no a/c. At that time the neighborhood was under refurbishment and was a bit uncomfortable

Great location, great breakfast varieties

• Queen Economy

The room was a little small and dark otherwise good.

The Hotel was quiet despite the road outside that was under construction. Luckily for us these were not worked on during our stay. The breakfast was excellent and especially enjoyed our first taste of brown cheese along with some fresh fruit. Some stairs had to be climbed but luggage ramps were available. Staff were very helpful and knowledgeable, with the help of the internet. Easy walking distance to both the city centre and Vigeland park. Overall a very good stay.

• Queen Economy

1. Very hard to use the toilet. Just look at the picture - I had to sit on one side to be able to sit there because of the stuff containing the toilet paper. Check the picture to see for yourself. 2. It was clear that the bed was a single bed and not a double bed. They just added an extra mattress for 2 people to fit in it. We had to squeeze in there, and it was not comfortable at all. I attached the picture 3. Room was extremely small, maybe 10 sqm or so. 4. Furniture was very old and used, very simple and basic. 5. Minibar was empty. I doubt this hotel is 4 stars. Someone from the staff of booking.com should check that this hotel is 4 stars, because I really doubt. It is by far the worst hotel we ever staid in... should have just 1 or 2 stars ! Me and my girlfriend felt we were tricked into choosing this place. The pictures on booking.com do not reflect the reality...

Breakfast was the only good thing of the hotel

• Queen Economy

No iron was provided in the room and I was required to go to the 5th floor like some sort of youth hostel. The shower gel was empty so it was lucky I had bought my own. In addition to this, no complementary bottle of water or tea or coffee were provided in the room which is unheard of for a 4* hotel.

The breakfast had a wide selection of items. The bathroom was spacious.

• Queen Economy

The veranda or balcony isn't so stable.

The breakfast is amazing. Location was close to tram station, grocery stores, and museums. I liked that their refrigerator was empty so guests can put theirs.

• Queen Economy

I would have liked the room to have been a little bigger, but as this is an older hotel it was manageable.

The breakfast had a huge selection to choose from and the staff were very alert to clearing tables once it became available.

• Reviewed: 16 June 2017

• Queen Economy

As a female business traveler, not having a hairdryer in a room as standard feels very poor these days - I did not appreciate having to go down to reception with wet hair and ask for one when I was hurrying to leave for a business meeting!

Balcony in my room was lovely when it was so hot outside

• Queen Economy

It was close to airport but a bit of a walk from the bus station which was difficult with large bags.

We did not get to experience the full breakfast but the 4am breakfast was decent. Room was clean and large.

• Reviewed: 3 June 2017

• Queen Economy

Decoration and facilities getting tired and in need of a revamp.

Excellent location close to the centre of the city but relatively quiet. Very good selection for breakfast.

• Reviewed: 2 June 2017

• Single Economy

I paid just under £300 a night for this hotel as it was a busy week. Firstly with the trams going past my room was extremely noisy and too hot with the window closed. This isn't the hotels fault, its just a warning. Secondly they have a bar but it doesn't open so its just for show. There was a sign saying ask at reception for a staff member to help serve, so i did and they said they could only offer what they had in their mini fridge behind reception, beer or wine. Not good enough for the price, it would have taken 30 seconds for them to walk to the bar and pour me a drink. I wanted to bring clients back but with no bar that was off the table.

Good location to train station. Nice staff. Good breakfast and wifi.

• Queen Economy

If you arrive a bit early (as we arrived 1 hour early) and they have your room already cleaned, they will still charge you around 15 pounds to go in early, it doesn;t matter if it's 1 hour of 6 hours.

Breakfast was amazing. The room while not huge It was really confortable. Everything was nicely done.

• Queen Economy

The room was cold but there was an electric radiator to help with that. The bed and pillows were very soft but I guess that's a matter of what you are used to.

The hotel was quiet, location excellent. Breakfast was good.

• Reviewed: 3 March 2017

• Single Economy

The main problem was the bed - very uncomfortable because of the mattress (woke up first day with back pains). No free toiletries, except for soap and shampoo (which logically should be standard room supplies - like towels or toilet paper). A little complicated system with key cards: when leaving the room, you have to extra lock it (which sometimes does not work with electronics), you have to use the card also in the elevator to get it moving.

The room was not very big, but enough space, reasonable furniture (desk, chairs, closet, big mirrors, night table). Awesome bonus - the bathroom had heated floor, which was incredibly nice in winter. Room was extremely quiet - however, not sure if because the walls were thick enough, or if there were simply no guests around. Good and stable WiFi signal, good breakfast - enough choices and tasted good. Room also had a mini fridge - which was happily not filled up with mini bar stuff, but you could store your own things in there. Very good location - easily accessible with public transport, also multiple city points are accessible from there (train station can be accessed even on foot in 10 minutes). Above all - the price was perfect (~73€ / night with breakfast). Also friendly staff (there was no problem with late check-out).

• Queen Economy

the staff was extra kind and they even allowed early check in and late check out for free. The breakfast was great and a lot of choice. The room is nice and big and comfortable, at an amazing location. We were very happy with our choice.

• Reviewed: 21 February 2017

• Single Economy

There were lot of cigarrette stubs floating in the pond on the roof straight beside the windowsill of my room. I cannot believe this is a Scandic hotel.

• Reviewed: 11 February 2017

• Single Economy

The bathroom was so small that I could not sit in a normal position when using the toilet. A lot of noise from the trams. Only 1 small elevator

Very good breakfast, serviceminded staff, good location, complimentary newspapers in breakfast room

• Reviewed: 2 November 2016

• Single Economy

No restaurant at Night - Raining on the 31st in the evening got soaked going out to eat else where - NOT HAPPY Bar was rubbish waited for someone to serve at 6:00pm no one came went out.

Nice hotel Basic....

• Reviewed: 16 October 2016

• Single Economy

The room and the corridors were worn-out. The air-conditioning was sometimes on and sometimes off and you could not control it.

The staff was nice and helpful.The breakfast was excellent, even though the same every day. The room was tidy and bed comfortable. Good location.

• Reviewed: 7 October 2016

• Queen Economy

that our dogs could not come for breakfast with us, that is understandable only one elevator for staff and guest was slowong us down :/

everything!!!

• Reviewed: 16 September 2016

• Single Economy

See above - bugs and hot roims

Staff was top notch - pleasant and helpful . Breakfast was excellent. Nice to have water and apple cake on arrival. Good restaurants nearby. Airport bus across the street at Radisson Blu. I was there on sept . 9-13. Rooms were warm and stuffy with no AC. I could open doors to balcony but could not leave them open as 2 other rooms also has access to balcony. Throughout the night I would have to open them for air.room quiet despite. Team and people noise outside. Two harmless bugs (1/2" long or less, very thin bodies appear in bathroom and bedroom on last day. Access to transpiration good.

• Reviewed: 4 September 2016

• Queen Economy

The smallest room that i ever had from all trips,in fact i didnt knew until now that the rooms like these exist.In the bathroom always a bad smell,real not a good experience.

The position not far away from the city center and the breakfast was decent.

• Reviewed: 25 August 2016

• Queen Economy

no room conditioning, only central conditioning furniture is old towels are a complete disaster bathroom is clean, but needs some refreshment along with rest of the room

location breakfast

• Reviewed: 2 August 2016

• Queen Economy

little chunks of dirt on floor, bed too soft, sheets kinda scratchy

excellent location, staff was helpful enough (for instance, when we asked if they sell stamp, they said no, and when we asked if they know where we cd go on a sunday to find them, point to 7-11 across the street, which was helpful, but we had to prompt them to do it), breakfast had a large selection of choices - excellent pancakes, lots of different cured fish

• Reviewed: 1 August 2016

Many/most (?) of the average priced rooms have no good view, except of a central air shaft. There is a terrible humming noise that seems like it is coming from big air conditioning units outside, and it is difficult to sleep without closing the windows to stop the noise. There was also no kettle in the room.

Breakfast was excellent, with a wide array of hot and cold items. The hotel was conveniently located near to the tram stop 'holbergs plass', with the number 17 and 18 trams going to and from Oslo S (central station).

• Reviewed: 25 July 2016

• Queen Economy

Elevator was balky and slow, rooms are a bit awkward.

Excellent selection of muesli/additions and breads/flatbreads at breakfast; very convenient location.

• Reviewed: 21 July 2016

• Single Economy

A bit of nighttime street noise from passing trams.

Very comfortable hotel with convenient tram connection to main station and all attractions. Super breakfast. Convenience store across the road.

• Reviewed: 20 July 2016

• Queen Economy

In the room (514) the automatic air conditioning and the venting in the bathroom kept running all the times, and it was too loud to sleep. We asked for a room change for other days, and the guy in the front desk was very kind to help us. The new room had no problems.

Breakfast was very good. The location is great. 10 min walk to central station. Wifi was ok.

• Reviewed: 17 July 2016

• Queen Economy

Dark room (furniture, curtains etc.) Dust on the pictures, mirror and furniture. Smell from the bathrom sink/shower. Room not soundproof (you could hear neighbours and people walking in the hallway). No variety in breakfast, same everyday (but has already a wide selection). Elevator running slow and key cards getting inactivated quite often. Pillows very thin.No coffe/tea facilities on the rooms nor any Iron/iron board.

Good size room with balcony and view over Holbergs square. Close to all facilities (tram, airport Express train and coach)

• Reviewed: 12 July 2016

• Single Economy

The hotel was a little further away from the city than I anticipated, but it wasn't a major problem. As in other hotels on my trip to Norway, there wasn't a lot of drawer space.

Pleasant, clean, comfortable hotel. Breakfast was especially good. I expected some tram noise in the morning, but it didn't materialise.

• Reviewed: 10 July 2016

• Queen Economy

The furnitures are really very old and dirty.The floor is brown carpet and it doesn't feel clean.If I felt down something on the floor, I have never taken back.

Nothing !!

• Reviewed: 9 July 2016

• Queen Economy

The staff were very helpful and it was nice to stay in a traditional old building with charm. The breakfast was incredible. Stayed for 10 days and will come back again.

• Reviewed: 3 July 2016

• Single Economy

The location is excellent - 5 minutes walk to the Royal Palace and just a bit further to the main shopping area. Despite this it is in a quiet neighbourhood so there was no noise disturbance at night. The breakfast was exceptional - one of the best I have ever had in any hotel around the world. The staff were very pleasant and helpful. The free bike hire was a welcome added bonus which enabled me to see a lot of Oslo during my visit.

• Reviewed: 3 July 2016

I'm still figuring out Norwegian baths/showers, so it felt weird to let the floor get so wet while I showered. This might be a thing here, though. Also I couldn't close the window in my room properly, and as it's right on a bus/train line, the trains going by could get noisy while I was trying to sleep. Everything else was so great!

I love that I was allowed to check in EARLY (8am). After 18+ hours of travel, it was nice to have a shower and a nap when I first arrived. The gym was nice, and I loved my little room, too. Breakfast was the perfect way to start each day!

• Queen Economy

renovation of rooms (and hallway) should be done

great breakfast, variety of food! great job with all day water, coffee and tea at a loby

• Queen Economy

Centrally located, both to harbour and city. Well maintained, with helpful staff. Enjoyed the stay

• Family Room

Great location with tram lines right in front of the hotel, bang at the city centre; Great staff at the reception. Good breakfast

The hotel could do with some updates but otherwise absolutely fine.

Excellent Location, Great Breakfast Choice, Clean Room and Friendly Staff.

• Queen Economy

The breakfast was amazing. Also the bed was very comfy

Overpriced for the Room Size

• Queen Economy

Very central location, great breakfast, polite staff.

NA

Nice breakfast and comfortable room for family

Lovely breakfast buffet.

• Queen Economy

The hallways were a bit dingy but the room was excellent

Good bed, good shower and outstanding breakfast. Very friendly, helpful staff.

• Queen Economy

Super awesome food and big bathroom

• Queen Economy

Some areas of the hotel are old

• Queen Economy

Room basic but very clean Bed very, very soft

Breakfast choices excellent, staff friendly

• Family Room

Only one lift in the entire hotel which was only a problem when we checked in. We don’t mind stairs with no heavy bags!

Central location

• Family Room

Family room was lovely, bedroom size was great. Beds comfy. Breakfast plentiful. Lovely restful weekend.

Room was small

Breakfast and location of hotel. Staff very supportive

• Queen Room

Good cooperation and good service and very clean

extremely Busy hotel, location is so/so, Small room, busy elevator

Breakfast, Coffee Machine,

• Queen Economy

Would love more and bigger pillows

Love the breakfast

very good breakfast.

• Queen Economy

The bathroom floorheating was to hot and could not be regulated, nor turned off.

Great breackfast!!!

• Queen Economy

Tram next to the rooms. Rooms to basic for a 4-star hotel. Roadworks during the night in front of the hotel.

Browse Scandic Holberg traveller photo gallery