Reviews of Scandic Sjølyst 3 stars

Sjølyst Plass 5, 0212 Oslo, Norway

#73 of 157 hotels in Oslo

• Reviewed: 7 September 2018

The breakfast is fabulous (just as I remembered from last...
    • Queen Room

The room was a bit sparse, little colour etc. Last time I stayed here was 3 years ago and there was more colour in the room (e.g pictures). This time the room felt a little sterile and lacking of warmth. The throw cushion on the bed also had a suspicious stain..

The breakfast is fabulous (just as I remembered from last time)!

Decent.
    • Queen Room

The receptionist was horrible. She only smiled when we first walked in and within the first five seconds, the smile was gone and was rude with us. I tried to be friendly but it didn’t help. She gave us the cards to the room, and didn’t say much after that. I bought snacks and drinks from the shop and was able to charge it to our room but the receptionist did not seem happy each time. When we checked out two days later, there were three ladies in front of us who I assume were checking in. The same receptionist was at the counter smiling and laughing with the ladies. After they left, I walked up with a smile but the receptionists smile was gone and looked irritated that I was there. I was nice and friendly with this women and didn’t ask many questions but no matter what, she never seemed happy with us. The next thing I didn’t like is the shower. Normally a shower glass door seals the water from wall to wall or glass to glass or however. This shower had a glass door that went about half way to the wall and ended leaving half of the shower just out in the open so water got everywhere.

The place was clean, nice sized rooms and toilets. The main lobby has a little shop to buy drinks and food. The location was nice. Only a few minute walk to the train station and close to a few restaurants.

Great once we had a decent room!
    • Queen Room

The first room allocated to us was dire - I don't know if this is because we booked through Booking.Com as this has happened to us before. We get the impression that hotels would prefer guests to use their own websites. We refused to accept the first room as it was very tired, totally outdated and desperately in need of refurbishment. Atfirst we were told all the other rooms were full but hey, ho another one became available all of a sudden - this was a vast improvement and contributed to our enjoyment of the holiday! had we been allocated this room in the first place, the scores given would have been much higher!

The breakfasts were delicious and offered a lot of choice. The staff were mostly helpful and friendly and were great at giving information regarding tourist activities.

we would repeat

it was close to the train station to go down town. we arrived later than midnight and they kindly received us. room was comfy and clean. breakfast was good, great variety.

Really enjoyed our stay, would definitely recommend!
    • Queen Room

First we were given a room that probably was not cleaned, however it was very quickly resolved by staff and they gave us a new equal room.

Everything was very good, we really enjoyed our stay. The hotel is in walking distance from the Vigeland park and the centre of the city. The room is very good - comfortable bed, table for work, TV, tea and coffee, clean bathroom. Breakfast was very good, everything you could ever think about you may want for breakfast was there. Very quick check in and check out. There is even gym on the 8th floor. Thank you, all was amazing!

We were very happy with the family room which was spacious...
    • Family Room

We stayed on the top (8th) floor and had to walk past the gym to get to our room. There were a lot of kids at the hotel and they were often running and shouting along the corridors and were in the gym unsupervised. Small kids (around 6 years old) had access to, and were playing with, the running machines and heavy weights and I thought it was pretty dangerous. In order to keep noise down and improve safety I suggest the gym door is kept closed and that it can only be opened with a separate gym access card.

We were very happy with the family room which was spacious and comfortable - bunk beds were great for the kids and the roof terrace was an unexpected bonus.

The entire experience was excellent.

The entire experience was excellent. The hotel is a bit far from the town center, but it's located close to several bus stops and the T-bane, so it was easy to get around town. The staff were friendly and very helpful with answers to our questions. The choices for breakfast were varied and great, so it was well worth the price.

Not so good I expected
    • Queen Room

No place to sit during breakfast and lack of food. No towels in the room after cleaning. We had request for early breakfast the last day, but staff forgot it, so we had no breakfast.

Good connection to the airport and city center. Free bike rental.

Outstanding experience
    • Queen Room

Outstanding willing to assist you, definately recommend. The rent a bike facility was unexpected and very pleasant experience. As well as the breakfast was beyond expectation

Good hotel in nice location

Stayed here several times and price varies considerably but Oslo is never the cheapest place. Really comfortable hotel with great breakfast and central location, close to station and just two train stops from Oslo Central and on a direct train stop for the airport train.

Exceptional

Lovely hotel located centrally with a reasonable balance between price and quality. Fully recommended if you are going there for few dates. Free WiFi.

Good for a weekend break but dont get your hopes up with the images on site!

The room did not live up to the pictures! I can only guess that the images on site are artist mocks up because what we got first time was awful, raised our complaint and got moved to a room that had been ‘ronovated’ .... questionable!

The bed was comfy and spacious, the breakfast was good and the location was ok considering it was out if the city centre - easy access to train line.

OK stay in a classic business hotel

My windows didn't close completely and close to a pretty busy road ... annoying.

Great location (close to work), standard business hotel, don't expect a wow factor. Just ok, nothing more. Breakfast is more than satisfying.

Super place with good connection to the city

Nothing bad

The breakfast was amazing and huuuge variety!!! Bed was very comfy and the room was so quit that we thought we are totally alone until we met the people at breakfast :)

Great value for the price and very easy to get to the City Center from there

There were all tables occupied at the breakfast, so we had to wait a few minutes for a free table, but I guess thats just a sign of a great pirce-value-ratio :)

The breakfast was very good, there was pretty much everything there Also they have a cute little fitness room And the hotel is right next to the train and bus station

Overall good for the price
    • Queen Room

The pastries at breakfast could have been better. The checkout could have been a bit better too. We were leaving early in the morning so did the online checkout and just as we dropped the keys in the box a grumpy receptionist appeared with a face as if to say what were we doing. He asked if we checked out online and I said yes and he barely said thanks/bye. The shower in the toilet has a weird setup with a half a door and an area of slanted floor, no matter what way you leave it the rest of the bathroom gets soaked

The bed was comfy, the room was nice and the location is grand. Around 15 mins total trip to city centre with bus/train. Breakfast is ok. I say that because I had pastries that weren't great. Room doesn't have a great view but is nice and bright

Very clean and nice.
    • Superior Twin Room Extra

The rooms are big and very comfortable. We had a huge breakfast, they have fresh eggs, juices, fruits, fishes, warm bread, etc. If you need by the reception you can by tooth brash, tooth paste, soap est.

Location in Skøyen.

Bathroom was cold, electrisity in the room shut down and not prepared for my stay. They say refurbished rooms, but it is half done in a cheap way. I expect more when you pay over 1250 NOK per night. Woodlist painted white badly, phone from the 80's, old toilets, etc.

Location in Skøyen.

-Great hotel
    • Queen Room

Maybe you can offer something at the reception to order food for guests that are hungry in weekends.

-Great hotel -Location is not in city centre but you know that when booking! Easy to get to the city with a bus stopping 500m from the hotel or by metro! We even walked to the city it's possible! -Good beds -WONDERFULL BREAKFAST! Big up to the whole team

The location is right by the train to the airport, very...
    • Queen Room

The location is right by the train to the airport, very convenient. Oslo city centre is a bus ride or a longer walk away, the Viking and Folklore Museums are about 3 stops away by a bus which goes every 10 minutes, even on Sundays! There are two supermarkets very close to the hotel and also many restaurants. Breakfast was excellent. I left my sweater in the room and the staff posted it to me, what a great customer service :)

I left the room 08:00 and returned 16:00, even then the room...

I left the room 08:00 and returned 16:00, even then the room was not cleaned. The shower was broken. When you pay 2.000 kr per night, this should be in place. Also the room was old. When they charge this high amount per night they shoot their selves in the foot. The reception guy acted more like he wanted to be in another place. Low quality hotel for a high price.

The hotel is easily accessible with the city's trains...

Restaurant/Bar closes early, and during weekend nights you have to go far to find somewhere decent to eat/have a drink. The breakfast is fine, but they stop refilling the popular items (eggs, bacon) way too early, so even one hour before breakfast closes the popular options are gone. Our room had no mini-fridge (don't know if that's general) so we had to get creative to chill our canned drinks.

The hotel is easily accessible with the city's trains and trams, and only a few steps away from their respective stations. The neighborhood was nice, mostly business all around. The room was comfortable and spacious. The staff was friendly.

Quality stay at a quality place.
    • Queen Room

The hotel was quite close to the metro facility, walking distance, with a lot of shops around and a lively place. The hotel staffs were very humble , breakfast was sumptuous with a lot of options and quality of the food was very good. Definitely recommend this for single as well as family travellers.

A hop skip and jump from the city with excellent comfort and a splendid breakfast selection

The hotel was located slightly too far away from the city centre to comfortably walk it in. Thankfully the public transport options were superb, no dramas.

The breakfast selection was superb. There was an amazing choice of fresh, dark bread to slice. The cereal selection was catered for with museli, various yoghurts, nuts, dried fruits, compotes. There was even a waffle maker, which allowed the novices (i.e., me) to have their hand at a local Norwegian delicacy: Waffle with brown goats cheese, jam and cream. The hot waffle sweetens the taste of the cheese. Amazing! There were various eggs, salad selection including various complementing fish and... even various tropical fruit served in a fruit salad arrangement. The rooms were comfy, modern and minimalist. They offered a perfect amount of room and we easy to organise my items in.

Very nice staff, great breakfast, easily reachable from anywhere in Oslo.
    • Queen Room

I booked queensize room with big bed, but we get a standard room (still payed for the qeensize), it was the only room available for the night. I understand that was the night before a big Oslo marathon and the receptionist was very nice and offered us another room for the second night.

Very nice staff, great breakfast - generally I love hotel breakfasts and this one has a lots of options, definitely one of the best breakfast I had this year. The hotel is easily reachable from anywhere in Oslo (the train, bus and tram stop takes you like 5min walking)

Functional but you won't luxuriate in this property

It's very utilitarian and functional. For example I had a white board in my room, as if I was going to do a presentation! Maybe it was for kids as there were additional beds that folded out of the all. Expensive at €212 a night for basic facilities - but then this is Norway which is pricy.

Good location and friendly staff.

Plant-based milk at breakfast, a selection of cruelty-free...

Some machinery noise in some parts of the building (maybe ventilation or something). However, very quite during the night.

Plant-based milk at breakfast, a selection of cruelty-free food, vegan and also some organic.

The hotel is located outside of the central area, but with...

The hotel is located outside of the central area, but with easy access to it (around 15-20) using the public transport. There are a few shops, restaurants, and a grocery shop around the hotel area. It's within a walking distance from Vigeland Park which is one of the main attractions if you are visiting Oslo. The breakfast is also quite good!

Enjoyed my stay, would come again.

Nice and quiet rooms and rich breakfast. Good location to visit museums on Bygdoy and Vigeland park. Easy to find and real close of public transportation (buss and train).

Great hotel in a cool neighborhood!

We arrived after traveling for almost an entire day exhausted and just wanting a bed. I realized upon check in that I had made an error when reserving the room (I had booked for 2 instead of 3). The hotel was almost totally booked up, which would've been a nightmare scenario and a crappy way to start our vacation, but the manager and staff fixed this for us! They were warm and welcoming. We traveled there by the airport train, and it was easy to find. The neighborhood was very cool - the bakery and grocery store across the street came in handy. The breakfast was incredible - I haven't seen anything like it before. I wish we could've stayed an extra day.

Decent hotel, but nothing more.

Disappointed with substandard cleanliness. Dust in the vents, door hinges, under the bed, hairs on the shower wall, etc etc. Way too few power outlets in the room. AC appeared to be non-functional, and there's limited ability to air out the room with the single window.

Breakfast was good. Bed was comfortable.

Amazing stay in a great city

Small detail: the parking. There is (limited) paid parking and as we had been travelling for almost 2 days, we immediately said yes to it and paid for 4 full days. When parking the car and walking back to the hotel, we actually saw we could have parked just one street further and parked 3 days for free as it was the weekend. Now this might change soon (as they were building there), but it gave us a bit of a bad taste. I do honestly believe that the receptionist did not know this, but still it was not the best start. The whole stay did make up for it obviously.

A gem, we loved this hotel and it was a great start of our trip in Norway. Yes it is a bit outside of the center - but the bus or train can take you there quick enough or you can just walk - the route along the river was really very nice. Also, the peninsula is really close (a bridge away), which is great for running and there are lots of museums there. Though the hotel was (almost?) fully booked, we had no trouble getting a table during the breakfast-times. And: it is a great breakfast, with many choices (also for vegetarians) and the staff works hard to keep it that way (clears tables quickly). Beds were comfortable, shower is amazing and the room is big. I would go back there any time. O and there are shops and restaurants nearby, so if you do not want to go into the center you do not have to.

Nice hotel. Easily accessible using public transportation.

There was nothing that we did not like.

We enjoyed our stay at this hotel. When we checked in, the first room that was assigned to us on the 3rd floor was noisy because of some construction going around. On approaching the front desk about it they immediately moved us to a room on a higher floor which was nice and quiet. The front desk people were very helpful and courteous. The breakfast was excellent.

Good hotel, good location, good vacation

Cons (not really a problem for me but just so you know what to expect): - Rather narrow twin beds that slid on the floor of their own accord - A bit dusty under the beds - External corridors not as clean as they could be - Only a single receptionist on duty at the peak of the tourist season; caused lines of weary tourists to form at the desk

A good 3-star hotel (check Norwegian rating, every country has its own) - Very good breakfast: great choice of different foods, fresh produce, beverages - Conveniently located: near Bygdøy (a very nice part of town), close to public transport options, no heavy traffic outside, a marina nearby - Room equipment includes an electric kettle, mini-fridge (or mini-bar), TV set - Rooms cleaned everyday, clean en-suite bathroom with soap/shower gel/shampoo/toilet paper regularly restocked, clean towels changed as often as you need

Good hotel in lovely quiet area.

Room furniture, bed and bathroom were clean, but some things like lamp shades, window sills and hairdryer had been forgotten and they were covered in dust when I arrived. Cleanliness was all in all acceptable but could be improved in common areas like corridors too. Location is great for resting and comfort. If you are looking to be near some action I wouldn't recommend it, although is very well and quickly connected to the city. For more life try Grunerlokka/Vulkan/Frogner/Aker Brygge/Sorenga instead. Tip: I'd avoid staying in the city centre around main station, main street, cathedral. Sadly that part of Oslo is shabby and unpleasant with an out of hand gypsy problem, the worst I've encountered in any European capital city centre.

Bigger size room than capital cities standard. Very good modern bathroom. Breakfast is a huge buffet (even too much). Location is very quiet and allows good sleeping but you also have shops, supermarket, cafes, train station at your doorstep. Nice staff, in particular smiley and friendly cleaning staff.

Wonderful stay at Scandic Sjølyst
    • Family Room

There was a bit of a noise and that's strictly because of the working site near the hotel, but this will soon end. Also, we did find some sockz under our bed, I think the cleaning personnel should be more careful.

The staff is very helpful and nice! I think the breakfast is excellent, there are plenty of choices, for everyone, from vegans to vegetarians to meatlovers. It is close to the tram, bus, train stations, reaching them in a few minutes. The surroundings are great, there are shops, coffee shops, restaurants, kiosks and supermarkets. The location is great if you don't want to stay in the city center and I'm truly satisfied with my choice.

don't realy understand how other reviwers wrote that...

don't realy understand how other reviwers wrote that brekfast was wonderfull... It was ok in the weekend but monday it was realy not much choice. Compared with other Scandic Hotels the breakfast is realy poor.

Though this is a little out of the way of the city center,...

Nothing really.

Though this is a little out of the way of the city center, this hotel is still a great place to stay. Just take the Tram #13, get off at Thune Station, and do a short walk to this hotel. Now things I like about this hotel: They have excellent buffet breakfast (fruits, veggies, a variety of bread and cereals, yogurt, eggs, hams and cheeses, different kinds of juices and coffee) served in a large dining area. The Wi-Fi works just fine although I didn't try uploading pictures so can't say about the speed in that regard. The beds are very comfy with thick duvet blankets. Everything is clean, from the entrance to the hotel all the way to the bathroom. The staff might not be the friendliest but they do their job efficiently. They even helped me print our boarding passes. Also, no smell of cigarette smoke anywhere or any unwanted noise. Yay!

Room ok

Breakfast: too less people servicing (taking care of used dishes, providing timely new food ) and the variety of food offered limited comparing to the usual service of Scandic

Room ok

• Reviewed: 16 June 2017

Good location, overall good quality with some minor niggles

The restaurant is always closed over the weekend (Friday to Sunday) which we were told about when we arrived. However, we were not told that it was also closed on the Wednesday that particular week (which was a public holiday). Whilst we managed to find somewhere else, it would have been helpful to have known up-front.

Location outside the city centre, but with excellent train connection into the city and to the airport. Comfortable room, good choice breakfast. Very friendly staff.

Nicely located 5 minutes walk away from Skoyen train station...
    • Family Room

Nicely located 5 minutes walk away from Skoyen train station which is two stops away from the city center. On a nice day you could consider the 45 minutes walk towards the center or 30 minutes walk to the Vikings Museum.

City break
    • Queen Room

It was very close to transport. Clean and modern building in a relatively new and quiet area. It had an amazing breakfast buffet, a great selection of tv channels to browse through. The staff was friendly and helpful. We really enjoyed our stay.

• Reviewed: 4 June 2017

Excellent except from the bedding
    • Family Room

Very warm duvets (bed covers) and no alternative solution with lighter ones, expect from completely removing the duvet and using the cover sheet. However, this then was not enough to sleep with.

Modern building and fully functioning rooms, excellent breakfast, helpful staff, quiet, very nice and safe location at the wealthy side of the city, full of expensive cars and nice shops and restaurants. Just a few stops from the centre with very good connection with train, bus and tram. The room was not super big, but with two kids of 4 and 5 we had no issue.

Oslo mini break
    • Superior Twin Room Extra

The senseless revving of car engine on the Sunday morning at 7am. No air conditioning or safe in the room. Good wi-if.

Ease to get to. Very good selection at breakfast. Generally very quiet. Helpful staff.

Lovely stay.

It would have been ideal if the rooms had air conditioning.

The pastries at breakfast we're delicious and the staff were extremely friendly, accommodating and approachable.

best breakfast ever!

I had to go back home after a few days. It was a bit too hot, even though I turned the heating off.

Best breakfast EVER I've had in a hotel. They have such a wide range of food available even for veggies! Croissants, muffins, fancy bread, butter, 5 different kinds of cheese, about 6-7 different kinds of fruit and even more vegetables, salad. Their remoulade is first class, so are their boiled eggs, there's a huge variety of meats and fish as well. Smoothies, different kinds of juices, coffee, cappuccino, hot chocolate. The room was tidy and bright, the bed was super comfortable. The staff is very friendly too :)

• Reviewed: 15 March 2017

Good hotel close to public transportation.

Parking was expensive.

Hotel located close to public transportation to Oslo center. Close to motorways. Good spacious room with all required facilities. Breakfast restaurant was good.

• Reviewed: 15 December 2016

Nice breakfast, room price is high

Price is high since there is no other hotel near this business area

Very good breakfast included in room price. Good selection of international foods!!

• Reviewed: 15 December 2016

Excellent Hotel! Will stay here again.
    • Family Room

It would have been nice if the room had air conditioning as I found it extremely warm in the evenings which made it difficult to sleep. Also the double bed had two single sheets which was a little weird.

Since visiting at the beginning of 2015, the whole hotel as had quite a large update and it was an absolute pleasure to stay in.

• Reviewed: 20 October 2016

Great for a business trip in the area.
    • Superior Twin Room Extra

The room was hardly "superior". Some smokey smell when heat was turned on. No bathroom floor heating-which used to be a nice touch ;)

Comfortable beds, great neighbourhood, plenty of shops and cafes around.

Nothing, except that it is near YARA

Nothing, except that it is near YARA

my oppinion
    • Queen Room

in the second flour wasn't any view just another building.

breakfast was fantastic, service great, bed comfortable, all staff always with a smile

helpful staff and comfortable room

staff particularly helpful

• Reviewed: 9 September 2018

Very good service staffs

Very good service staffs

• Reviewed: 18 August 2018

Convenient, friendly staff, good breakfast

Single bed not that comfortable

Central location. Excellent selection for breakfast

Location was good, next to station and area is nice

Their standered of clean below my expectation , compare to price

Location was good, next to station and area is nice

• Reviewed: 11 August 2018

Great business hotel, near to shops, restaurants, and public transport.

Helpful staff. Good breakfast - loads of choice - healthy.

Excellent breakfast!

Excellent breakfast!

Good location, closed to tube to go to the centre only 2 stops away and closed to nature.
    • Family Room

Family friendly. Beds available for kids which was very welcome for our tall 3 years old daughter.

Very nice hotel near the museum island Bugdoy.
    • Family Room

Very nice hotel near the museum island Bugdoy.

Comfortable room. Access to shops and public transport was good. Outstanding breakfast.

Excellent breakfast.

Much poorer standard than I'd expected for a hotel in Oslo

Beds and coffee facilities

Very basic hotel with no frills or extras, small single beds, limited coffee/tea making only with no milk provided

Excellent services - free bikes, gym - and amazing breakfast!

Excellent services - free bikes, gym - and amazing breakfast!

Nice location.

Nice location. Perfect breakfast

Nice hotel near the best museums

Very good breakfast!

All good
    • Queen Room

Ordered queen room, got king room

The stuff, the quality of food, very quiet place, very comfortable bed. Overall we really liked it

All are OK

All are OK

A nice hotel, not far from the train station to go to Oslo airport, convenient.
    • Queen Room

There was a problem with a check-in when I arrived but it was eventually sorted out.

I like staying in Scandic hotels and my expectations were met.

Very good

Very simple bathroom

The parking

Breakfast choices, comfy bed, warm and cozy.

Breakfast choices, comfy bed, warm and cozy.

Will use the hotel at next visit to Oslo.
    • Queen Room

Cofortable beds. Garage available underneath the hotel. Short walking distance to bus, tram and train.

Buffet petit dej excellent
    • Queen Room

Buffet petit dej excellent Breackfast excellent

Close to Airport-Train and visiting Facilities.

Close to Airport-Train and visiting Facilities. Bus and Tram to citty

Comfy bed and good selection for breakfast

Stocked mini bar would be nice

Comfy bed and good selection for breakfast