Reviews of Kantipur Temple House 4 stars

Chusyabahal, Jyatha, Thamel, Thamel, 14229 Kathmandu, Nepal

#39 of 208 hotels in Kathmandu

We had a wonderful time and wholeheartedly recommend the Kantipur Temple House hotel.
    • Deluxe Double or Twin Room

An extra lamp in our bedroom would have been nice

The hotel is an amazing building. The staff could not have been more courteous and helpful. The location is excellent. The food was very good.

it was okay but doesn't worth the money i paid
    • Standard Twin Room

The Staff especially on the front desk , i missed my flight back cuz they forgot to make the wake up call , also the normal rooms need more upgrade for the bathrooms.

The Location , and the design

Beautiful building, really calm and peaceful, but very...
    • Standard Twin Room

No air-conditioning but they do make this clear in the property details and the fan was fine, though may have been more of a problem in hotter season

Beautiful building, really calm and peaceful, but very conveniently located in Thamel district of Kathmandu. It's environmentally friendly with no plastic bags etc and supports sustainable tourism.

The urine stench from the rest room near the lobby.
    • Standard Twin Room

The urine stench from the rest room near the lobby. The pizza , which I ordered was not hot and not baked well. Felt like eating a salad over the pizza base. Oral complaints were done by me to the concerned staff. No elevator.

Excellent!
    • Deluxe Double or Twin Room

No Bidets in the bathroom. Missing a Spa and for some reason they do not have ice cream ;(

What an absolutely fabulous Hotel.Organic, plastic free and perfect if you plan to visit Thamel. I wouldn't mind Bidets in the bathroom ;). Was given a late check out and the food was just great! Temple architecture made me feel like i had walked back in history. Stunning!

The hotel is a refurbished temple, well located in Thamel...

As per the brochure the hotel is eco-friendly, but we felt that it is more of cost savings rather than eco-friendliness. We were aware that there will be no TV and no AC, but we were surprised to see that there is no flush in the toilet. They provide for you a bucket that you fill once you get a shower and you use it to flush the toilet. The rate that we paid does not reflect the services provided. No basket of fruits, no welcome drinks, no facilities or activities except of the free yoga class. Make sure to request a room in the first or second floor, as we stayed in the 4th floor with no lift ! The rooms were dark and light was not enough to make the room bright. Even with its large windows, you wake up in a gloomy room. The bathroom is not well maintained. We spent a nice stay in Kathmandu but we were happy to leave the hotel to the second hotel that we booked in Nagarkot.

The hotel is a refurbished temple, well located in Thamel area. It has a particular charm due to the unique architecture of the premises. The staff are very friendly and the restaurant offers delicious dishes. As per my research it is one of the best hotels in Kathmandu.

• Reviewed: 24 August 2018

A quiet, relaxing stay in an attractive Nepalese style temple close to the heart of Thamel.
    • Deluxe Double or Twin Room

The rooms are very dark, part of the authentic ambience. We found the bed too hard for our taste. A lack of storage, hanging space in the rooms meant we didn’t really unpack which was frustrating. The facilities are limited, perhaps aimed at short stay visitors rather than guests staying a full week.

A quiet haven on the edge of Thamel. A good base for touring in and around Kathmandu. Walking distance to Durbar Sq and the Garden of Delights. Very friendly staff in the restaurant and at reception. The evening meals we ate in the restaurant were tasty, the Nepalese set meal lovely.

• Reviewed: 24 August 2018

The architecture is just stunning, outside the building, in...
    • Standard Twin Room

A lot of the rooms face an interior courtyard that found beautiful, but that makes the rooms quite dark. I was fine with it though, I think it adds charm. But might be an issue for some people.

The architecture is just stunning, outside the building, in its corridors and in the rooms themselves. The bricks and detailed wooden work are so charming. With its garden and fountain outside, and because it’s in an alley, and not right in the main street, it’s a true heaven of tranquility in the hectic Thamel. The room was big and very clean. Staff was nice. Wifi worked perfect in the room.

It was a gorgeous stay and I am sure to recommend it to friends and reserve for future visits.

For some of you who addict to A/C, you may need some time to get used to this place. At least, my first night here was not well because the air was warm and the lacquer smelt very strong.

The eco-friendly hotel was perfect to us! Everything is very considerate for environment-friendly models. Its own is a must-see spots in Kathmandu.

• Reviewed: 4 August 2018

Good place to spend the day
    • Standard Twin Room

Maybe because it’s been decorated recently, there’s very strong smell in the room and in the aisle. We have to open the fan all night try to brew the smell, and still not sleep well. The hotel can rate much higher if not for the smell. Maybe after a few months, after the smell gone, the hotel is worth visiting.

The building is like a historical site, nice and exotic. The location is good, easy to go around Thamel. And the idea to be eco-friendly is also great.

I was only meant to stay for one night.
    • Standard Twin Room

I was only meant to stay for one night. Ive stayed for 4 nights. I arrived a bit ill from another country. The staff have been fantastic at looking after me. The front desk making remedies, the oter staff checking in on me to ask if there was anything I needed. The building is just gorgeous and well kept in quite a busy part od town. One of the owners/founders even came round whilst I qas in garden and was really curious about how my stay was and how I had found out about the place. The staff, who just want to help, have been great. They will bend ovwr backwards. I have already decided to come back from my treks a day early sonI can relax here before I get my flight out. Thankyou!

Could not have been better- an excellent start to my holiday in wonderful Nepal.
    • Standard Twin Room

All the staff were extremely polite, pleasant and helpful. The food in the restaurant was excellent. The hotel was tastefully decorated and oozed character. I liked the practical approach they had adopted to reducing their impact on the environment.

I asked why no TV, fridge and air con. Answer: they wanted us not to stay in but to go out. Healthy.
    • Standard Twin Room

If I were made aware at booking time that there were no TV, refrigerator and air conditioning, I would have chosen another place. Also 3.5% charge for using credit card. Other than that things were good.

Traditional building. Birds chirping. Good for anti TV, anti air conditioner naturalists who prefer room temperature drinking water.

The entire staff is incredibly friendly and attentive.
    • Standard Twin Room

They didn't inform before that they will apply high charges for credit card payment. So we paid in USD for which they pretended to not have any change (even though USD is used all over the place and even the hotel itself has an exchange service). This behaviour was really upsetting for us upon check out.

The entire staff is incredibly friendly and attentive. Location is amazing, so many things in walking distance! The hotel doesn't use any plastic and has a very ecological approach which we thought is great and we were happy to participate.

The whole property feels like pure traditional Nepalese...
    • Deluxe Double or Twin Room

The bathroom in my opinion should blend better with modern and traditional.

The whole property feels like pure traditional Nepalese culture. Unique and full of amazing artwork. One of the most amazing places I’ve been, takes you back in time.

Hotel had great character, great food, great location.
    • Deluxe Double or Twin Room

We loved the character of the hotel and the feeling it gave of being in Kathmandu. This is a quality hotel but, it is older. Our room was fantastic, but no a/c or heating. We did not need it. We were fine with just a fan. (Don't let this stop you from staying here, but we understand it might be a factor if this matters to you.) The shower and bathroom were fine for us, no complaints, but some might not find it four-seasons quality. That's it. Almost no negatives.

Breakfast was good, but mostly typically American. Dinner at the hotel was excellent. The wait-staff at dinner, and actually all the hotel staff, were fantastic. Some of the nicest people we've ever met. The hotel had a lot of old-time character, giving us the feeling we were looking for while being in Kathmandu. Just a beautiful hotel. Excellent location for walking to Thamel shopping, including Durbar square. A lot of the city is loud and this hotel was a bit off the main road and so was very quiet. We were very happy we stayed at this hotel.

If you are looking for a cool, clean spot that's also quite compared to Kathmandu this is it.
    • Standard Twin Room

wifi could be better but it's not the best anywhere in Nepal.

It's rare that I say the hotel was one of the best parts of our trip. Easily one of coolest places I've ever stayed. Great staff, the grounds are beautiful and I love that they have yoga in the morning. Also very environmentally conscious.

Loved the architecture!
    • Deluxe Double or Twin Room

Beautiful hotel with traditional Newari architecture. The rooms are clean and comfortable, the staff were very friendly and helpful. Great location would definitely recommend .

Best place to have a relaxing and peaceful stay in Thamel
    • Standard Twin Room

Had to wait for long time for hot water. Meals were bit over priced.

Location was excellent and very peaceful place in Thamel which was not expected. Comfy and cozy rooms. Beautiful architecture and interior. Staff was really kind and welcoming. Fast room service. Food quality and taste was good. Wifi speed was very good in the room.

Very good.
    • Deluxe Double or Twin Room

Staff was very friendly, very good restaurant. Hotel manager took personal care to resolve all the problems. Hotel is an oasis of calmness in noisy Kathmandu.

Amazing stay with beautiful traditional Nepali architecture.
    • Standard Twin Room

- Bathroom: shower curtains need improvement as it's quite short and make all water splashes around to the bathroom floor - Room needs more light I guess!

- Great location - Beautiful architecture - Friendly and helpful staff - It's an eco-hotel - Amazing cinnamon yogurt!

Tranquillity and hospitality in an extremely photogenic hotel
    • Deluxe Double or Twin Room

A stunning hotel in a very convenient location in Thamel. Beautiful architecture and a very peaceful setting with a garden that feels tucked away from the central Kathmandu noise. We stayed in a Deluxe Twin room on the third floor, which was enormous and felt truly luxurious. Very spacious bathroom with marble tiles and generous shower with hot water. I loved the fact that the hotel is conscious of the environment, and operates a plastic-free policy - drinking water was provided in a beautiful copper jug; even the bins were lined with newspaper instead of plastic bags. This also means that miniature toiletries are not provided, but this did not concern me at all. Delicious breakfast buffet with excellent locally roasted organic coffee. Free yoga in the mornings in the garden (on sunny days!) was a lovely surprise! We found this hotel by chance at the last minute, but I wouldn't hesitate to come back.

The staff were incredibly friendly and helpful, especially...
    • Deluxe Double or Twin Room

The room was a little dark but easily solved by a better ceiling light. Because it was an eco-hotel, plastic bottles of water were not provided. We didn't realize until the last night that a decorative jug in the corner actually was filled with water. A sign explaining that the jug contained clean drinking water would be helpful for guests.

The staff were incredibly friendly and helpful, especially in the restaurant. They went out of their way to serve us breakfast when we arrived after breakfast had ended. They also were kind enough to offer our friends coffee even though they were staying at another hotel. We stayed in the deluxe room which was quiet and very clean. The outside space was beautiful - such an oasis of calm and quiet in the middle of Thamel!

Good nice comfortable stay
    • Deluxe Double or Twin Room

It was in a narrow lane in a congested neighborhood. So properties next to it aren't very pleasant.

Quite centrally located in Thamel, one could walk down to the market. Night time its bit quite and the popular shops/bars are 10-15 mints walk way. The room itself was very comfortable and spacious. The view wasn't that great, the other side rooms probably had better views. The hotel has a nice garden which one can sit, read, relax and chat.

Terrible
    • Standard Twin Room

I got at the hotel and there was a cockroach in my room. The promised Yoga and meditation classes every day and they cancelled the activity during my stay. Rooms are dodgy and very dark.

Great atmosphere, but overpriced compared to other offers in Kathmandu
    • Deluxe Double or Twin Room

- Booked and reconfirmed hotel airport pick up ($10), but nobody was there. After ~45min waiting called hotel - pickup was promised for in 15min. Another 45min later we took a regular taxi for $7. Free airport drop was afterwards offered for compensation. - Booked and reconfirmed deluxe room with red brick walls, but received first different one. Room was exchanged afterwards. - Maybe I was just unlucky, but in our case hotel didn’t pay much attention to our requests before arrival. - Nice traditional Room, but quite cold and dark (window to inner court) - Bathrooms quite basic, no shower gel/shampoo provided, sewage smell - No safe in the room - No electric heating in the room - Overall nice hotel, but quite overpriced compared to other hotels

- Nice old traditional hotel with great atmosphere. Garden like an oasis in noisy and chaotic Kathmandu. - Simple but really good breakfast - Helpful and friendly staff - Warm water - Free yoga classes offered in the morning (08:00-09:00) - Nice rooftop terrace with good view over Kathmandu (currently under construction)

Great localization and hotel design.
    • Standard Twin Room

Watch out on airport pickup. The guy who was holding a poster with my name try to forced us to pay 20$. It shouldn't happen when hotel organize your transport. When we wanted to shorten our stay hotel didn't agree. But thanks to booking cutomer service we managed to changed stay dates and went to see Pokahara. Breakfast was nice, but range was narrow.

Great location in a quiet corner of Thames. Design of the hotel is amazing - beautiful details. Nice garden.

Unique hotel's decor is not a substitute for mediocre service and the lack of basic facilities
    • Deluxe Double or Twin Room

No shampoo or body was available, only the poor quality soap. Plastic-free policy is just an excuse not to provide basic utility or clean drinking water: drinking sealed water can be in a glass sealed bottles and shampoo & body-wash can be kept in ceramic container! Roof garden for which the property advertises is nonexistent and the roof is filled with broken furniture with no view whatsoever. Mediocre service and just a basic food in the restaurant. I don't believe this hotel merits 4-star rating and should be downgraded to 3-star maximum.

Building design was nice, however the room was so poorly lit that it was hard to see the decor properly.

Underwhelming
    • Standard Twin Room

For the price we paid of USD 90 the room had no amneties. No tv, no kettle and not even a bottle of water. Most of these we received at “cheaper” $20 hotels during our stay in Nepal.

Comfortable room in a lovely building with a large garden in the heart of Thamel.

locate in a quiet alley at Thamel.

wifi is not stable.

locate in a quiet alley at Thamel. walking distance to good shops, restaurants and bars. friendly staff. eco-friendly spirit and very good interior design with amazing architecture. i feel like it is the only design hotel in kathmandu.

The hotel is an oasis amidst the chaos of Kathmandu
    • Standard Twin Room

The shower was a bit cramped and the water took a long time to heat up which was wasteful.

The service was excellent. Sitting in the garden was very pleasant and relaxing and the free yoga classes was definitely a plus

A very attractive and memorable place to stay with lovely, caring & attentive staff.
    • Deluxe Double or Twin Room

Rooms were rather dark - but that does come as part of the Newari style - not much they can do about that. There are a couple of ground floor rooms, courtyards within the hotel complex, apparently not used, which look a bit 'abandoned'....these need to be kept looking beautiful so that they are in keeping with the high standard of the rest of the property.

The overall ambiance of the hotel, it's old Newari style, makes it unique to Kathmandu and gives the guest the feeling that they are in Kathmandu rather than just any hotel room which could be situated anywhere on the planet. Staff were wonderful - the lovely Nepali caring attention - nothing is too much trouble! Always plenty of hot water for showers. Breakfast was very nice, offering everything you would expect of a boutique hotel of this calibre. Good location for tourists - key sights, easily accessed, tourist shops, bars & restaurants of Thamel a couple of minutes away, and taxis always hovering and available a few metres from hotel.

The entire staff were extremely helpful, friendly, gracious...
    • Deluxe Double or Twin Room

The entire staff were extremely helpful, friendly, gracious and professional. This is a beautiful property and I will stay there again. The yoga classes were awesome. The restaurant and servers and chef were so friendly. Beautiful hotel and gardens.

The location was excellent and the staff were friendly.
    • Deluxe Double or Twin Room

The breakfast was ok but the cooked breakfast was generally cold. No tea or coffee facilities in the room.

THE staff were all very friendly and helpful. The temple features of the hotel were stunning. I liked the eco friendliness of the hotel too. Save water and shower together, that made me laugh.

Location and house is great.
    • Deluxe Double or Twin Room

But SO expensive compared to hotels around! Wi-Fi really slow (when working). Electrical outlets not working. Some points need improvement to justify this price.

Location and house is great. Quiet and peaceful place. Excellent breakfast also.

Oasis of Calm in crowded Kathmandu
    • Standard Twin Room

We had a great stay at Kantipur House! The building itself is really, really beautiful & chic. It is adapted to old nepali Houses and gives you the opportunity to live in a traditional way. Beneath that the garden is an oasis of calm in the dusty, crowded Kathmandu. We really support the principle of sustainability the hotel lives (no plastic, water saving, etc.) and enjoyed the delicious bio food. The staff was absolutely pleasant and suave. When I was ill because of eating street food I received a great, caring special treatment with home remedies & medicine. Furthermore we enjoyed the yoga classes in the morning that are a costless service. Thank you very much Kantipur House & staff for everything!

Another 5* fantastic stay at Kantipur Temple Hotel.
    • Deluxe Double or Twin Room

There is nothing I did not like about the property.

Beautiful tranquil building and garden in the heart of Thamel. Inside and out the building is stunning. Staff provided superb service went the extra mile to make us feel at home and were very friendly. The eco friendly water/plastic policy is also very good to see.

Atmospheric architectural gem in central Kathmandu
    • Deluxe Double or Twin Room

Heritage building is rich with architectural details, atmosphere and is quite spacious & restorative away from the hustle-bustle of Kathmandu. A charming ground floor restaurant, outdoor terrace and garden are lovely amenities adding to it’s charm.

Good, but would prefer no building works for the price paid.
    • Standard Twin Room

The first room we had the outlook the surrounding street was dark and gloomy. Rooms are better off the central square courtyard. The bathrooms need fresher shower curtains, the current ones appear discoloured. There were building works occurring on the roof right above our rooms on the 4th floor between 11am & 4pm most days which was not pleasant when we were resting before heading out for the evening. When raised with the hotel they did not apologise for this or compensate in anyway. We were also not made aware this would be going on when we booked or checked in. Breakfast is ok but could be replenished more frequently.

The building is a great example of the old style Nepali architecture and the hotel was kept to a good clean standard. The eco conscious side of the hotel is good.

The Kantipur Hotel made our welcome & stay in Kathmandu, we will definitely recommend.
    • Deluxe Double or Twin Room

Some wall Hooks in the rooms Extra coat hangers for longer stay guests. Shelf in bathroom for guests own toiletries Full length mirror

We are hotel designers, and thought the ethos and design of the hotel more than met our expectations. The quiet garden in the middle of the busy city was a delight.

If looking for true Nepali architecture and ambience.. this is the place.
    • Deluxe Double or Twin Room

"No heat" was advertised, but would have been a bonus. Depends on one's expectations and season of travel. .. after all... it is Nepal.

Management and staff were friendly, helpful and nice. The hotel and gardens had a rich cultural and serene ambiance, especially considering it is within a busy tourist area.

Special place on a great location
    • Standard Twin Room

It was a bit chilly since there is no heating. However the warm water bottle and electric blanket keep the bed very comfy and warm!

The building is truly something special. Staff is very friendly and really tries to give you a good experience. It is very admirable how the hotel tries to be as eco friendly as possible and succeeds to be plastic free, without compromising on comfort. The location in central Thamel is really great as well!

Eco-friendly hotel in a great location with exceptional staff
    • Standard Twin Room

The staff at KTH were exceptional. I liked that it was eco-friendly, but also comfortable after a long day out walking around this vibrant part of the city.

This place was authentic and peaceful. Good for taking life slow and easy.
    • Deluxe Double or Twin Room

The heating mattress. It made sleeping comfortable and we were well rested. They also provided daily hot water bottles, as it gets cold in the evening. The local Nepali food served in the restaurant for dinner was delicious! The staffs were also kind and courteous. The managers and owners were always involved with the guests. My partner got sick on the last day, and they had simple medicines ready to his aid. This place was a great hideout from the hustle and bustle of Kathmandu yet conveniently located in the center of Thamel.

Excellent! Room, staff, location, cleanliness, and food was all perfect. Would highly recommend.
    • Deluxe Double or Twin Room

Staff was very welcoming, helpful and went out of their way to make my stay comfortable. Loved the architecture, layout and ECO friendliness of hotel. Location was perfect and walking distance to all major attractions in the city center.

Very friendly hotel in fine location
    • Deluxe Double or Twin Room

We were there in winter and although the hotel provided hot water bottles, electric blankets, and a heater, I think for the price, it could include air-conditioning - for heat in the winter and cooling in the summer. I know that's not very ecofriendly, but then neither is flying to Nepal.

Fine old building. Staff were absolutely wonderful - all of them. Incredibly welcoming and helpful.

Cold showers only
    • Standard Twin Room

Showered twice very cold! Let water run for more than 10 min and decided after that this cannot be ecofriendly at all and had kind of an ice bucket shower. Not nice especially if outside and room temp is below 10 degree C

A hidden gem in the heart of Kathmandu city.
    • Deluxe Double or Twin Room

A hidden gem in the heart of Kathmandu city. The whole building is done in red toned brick and furnished with traditional Nepalese furniture. It was a delightful experience reading book while having a cup of coffee at their lovely garden. We had a chance to meet the founder Bharat and his daughter at the dining hall during our breakfast, they shared with us their vision about incorporating eco-friendly practices throughout every aspect of their family businesses, which we find it very meaningful.

This was a perfect weekend break.

All good.

This is a beautiful building in traditonal Nepali style both inside and out. The room was very comfortable and hot water bottles were provided each night, much appreciated in this cold weather. Although the property is close to the heart of busy Thamel it is in a quiet secluded corner and was peaceful even on New Year's Eve.

Highly recommended to travellers.
    • Standard Twin Room

This was a lovely place to stay. A haven in the middle of crowded Thamel, Kathmandu. Facilities are excellent, owner and staff are accommodating, food is superb! Excellent stay during Christmas time.

Staff were fabulous, rooms clean and comfortable although a...
    • Deluxe Double or Twin Room

Staff were fabulous, rooms clean and comfortable although a bit dark. Great location - easy walk to tourist district. We had a 9 hour stop over in Kathmandu a week after our stay so we left our bags at the hotel and went out for dinner. They organised a transfer to the airport and offered a room to freshen up - all without any prior notice. Fantastic!

Not a bad location about three blocks from the Thamel area so it was very quite and peaceful.
    • Deluxe Double or Twin Room

Restaurant where we had breakfast was ok but not great. We had two flights of steps to get to our room.

Spacious room. Beautiful room and old remodeled historic building was very beautiful.

Great stay
    • Standard Twin Room

The building is gorgeous. The garden is beautiful. The service is great. Location is very central with lots of restaurants nearby. I came back to my electric blanket turned on and two hot water bottles in my bed. The perfect end to a chilly day.

A little expensive, but worth it if you want a really nice place to stay!
    • Standard Twin Room

There was no a/c. While it was nice and cool outside, there was absolutely no breeze, so we had to rely on the fan they had in the room. In the morning, it was much warmer in the room than it was in the hallway or even outside.

The hotel and grounds are absolutely beautiful!! It was almost like a castle... What a nice little oasis in the middle of a crazy city! The owner was walking around when we checked in, so I knew he was not a hands-off owner: he actually cared about his guests and making sure their stay was pleasant. He found out that it was our anniversary, and he upgraded our room. He also sent flowers and a fruit basket the morning of our actual anniversary! The breakfast was very good. I hope they will switch to made-to-order eggs, but everything else (including the jams they put on the table and the complimentary teas they include) was very good!

Spacious room
    • Deluxe Double or Twin Room

Having to pay 3.5% of the bill because I used a credit card to pay for our stay. If paying in cash they expect foreigners to pay in hard currency. Who has that at the end of a trip?

Spacious room Design of hotel

Charming, feels like home away from home & perfect location for walking to sites/shopping!
    • Deluxe Double or Twin Room

The shower in our room was clean, but dark & confined feeling. It wasn't a pleasurable experience, made you want to jump in and out as quick as possible. Aside from that, which is pretty minor!, everything else was lovely & charming.

Loved how much the owner took pride in personally making sure the guests were welcome & comfortable. He had a surprise bouquet of flowers put into our rooms and a fresh flower lei made for us to wear upon our welcome, as it was our honeymoon. The staff was very friendly & gear to help make your stay more enjoyable.

I appreciated the workers smile and kindness and lovely atmosphere.
    • Deluxe Double or Twin Room

I could enjoy if less noisy and I was a little disappointed because the top ( a tower ) was under construction. It would be better if I could enjoy the view from the roof. The workers and atmoshere were so wonderful I enjoyed and appreciated.

Beautiful, exceptionally beautiful brick temple- like ...
    • Standard Twin Room

Beautiful, exceptionally beautiful brick temple- like building with a lot of charm and style. Great atmosphere and wonderful, friendly staff. You almost don't feel like leaving/ doing any sightseeing.... great breakfast and nice food in their restaurant as well!

Beautiful hotel in authentic Nepali style. Central location. Good value. Could be cleaner.
    • Standard Twin Room

The room was clean and tidy but there were ants in the bathroom and there wasn't a proper shower (just a curtain surrounding the shower head). I felt like I was annoying some the staff when I needed advice or had a question.

The Nepali inspired design. It felt very authentic. The banana pancakes were great. Some of the staff were helpful.

The Rustic Haveli architecture makes us feel we have gone...
    • Deluxe Double or Twin Room

The property doesn't have air condition

The Rustic Haveli architecture makes us feel we have gone back in time. Special thanks to Manas & Rubina who helped us with booking tour be taxis during our stay.

the theme of the hotel.
    • Deluxe Double or Twin Room

washrooms should have push shower. if you are not providing ac then you should provide over head fans.

the theme of the hotel. the environment of the hotel. the behaviour of the staff

Lovely Place To Stay
    • Deluxe Double or Twin Room

It's a quaint hotel. Simple, eco-friendly and feels like home. The food is nice, staff are super helpful! If you like simple living (no air con, there's no need really it was nice and cool, no TV..who needs that anyway?) You will love this. Free yoga class in the morning too!

AMAZING beautiful hotel
    • Deluxe Double or Twin Room

I am a sucker for TV and rooms don't have TV / cable.

The architecture, the design, the attention to detail was absolutely amazing. A true work of art and passion!

There are better places around to spend your hard-earned money
    • Deluxe Double or Twin Room

Rude staff --condescending, impatient, nickel and dime; mysterious charges added to the bill (including a 3.5% fee for paying by credit card...Booking.com did you know about this??); lacks the facilities (no elevator), dark interiors and bathroom can use renovating; pushy owner who wants great reviews. Let me give you a tip -- for FREE-- listen to feedback and improve your hotel.

Central location, quiet courtyard, building exterior

• Reviewed: 14 May 2017

Nice design with a traditional nepali house/ temple design
    • Standard Twin Room

When i checked out, i sit on the terrace hotel waiting for my friend to bring the luggage to the car and less than 15 minutes, when one of the employee staff repelling me to quick move out from the hotel, so impolite.

Nice design with a traditional nepali house/ temple design, located in Thamel area, close to the shopping area but not too busy, noisy and dusty. Free outdoor yoga class in the morning.

• Reviewed: 11 May 2017

Stunning hotel - peaceful and traditional
    • Standard Twin Room

Slight issue with the pick-up from airport which annoyed me in the beginning because it was late at night (12am) and the staff didn't seem to concerned. As solo female traveler I had to get a taxi to hotel, however next morning the staff apologized and explained the situation. They offered a free taxi on return and also gave a bigger room. I appreciated that. Hotel doesn't have a Tv in rooms - not an issue for me. Also, wifi is week in rooms and faster when outside in courtyard - but I been told this is an issue in Nepal everywhere. No tea/coffee facilities in room. Also, no shampoo or any other toiletries in bathroom - only soap. Bring your own - I do think a hotel of this standard should at least provide with the basic amenities. I understand there are being ecofriendly/organic but kettle/toiletries are pretty much the bottom line basic.

Beautiful hotel Great staff - very attentive Breakfast okay selection but you have to ask for cooked food. No menu, which they should consider leaving on tables as bit confusing on what you can or cannot order. Very quiet and peaceful 15mins walk to Durbur Sq, not a problem as the walk is pretty interesting and its quite noisy and rusty on that side

• Reviewed: 7 May 2017

A great place to splurge on accommodation in Kathmandu
    • Standard Twin Room

Power went out occasionally, but it seemed they had backup generators that kicked in after a few minutes. Sometimes the water temperature in the bathroom was impossibly difficult to adjust (scalding hot or freezing cold). I didn't eat here because the food looked average and there is much better stuff for half the price walking distance from the hotel.

Building architecture was beautiful. The staff friendly. The facilities clean. The location is central, but tucked away on a side street to eliminate noise from the downtown tourist area.

Wonderful hotel with beautiful, traditional Nepalese design...
    • Standard Twin Room

Wonderful hotel with beautiful, traditional Nepalese design in great location, very quiet area, yet in the heart of the city with the walking district to major attractions. The staff and the hotel owner are very welcoming, attentive and exceeding expectations. The owner of the hotel takes his time to meet his guests and make sure that they are happy with their stay. We enjoyed every minute of the stay, starting from the morning free yoga in the garden, then enjoying the organic and tasty breakfasts and being taken care of even with the sightseeing by booking all our excursions with the hotel, which are highly recommended, as the organisation of the hotel is superb. Our guide was very knowledgeable, with very pleasant personality and we felt very well taken care of. Also for a short stay of 4 days we explored really many tourist highlights. We loved the ecological approach of the hotel with no plastic wastage, as hotel simply does not use plastic at all. Water is in the rooms in the metal kettles and for the first time in any of the hotels I stayed at, we had more than enough water to drink and did not have to purchase additional one. Rooms were very clean. The restaurant offers amazing, organic variety of dishes and we highly recommend eating your dinners there. We will definitely come back and stay in the same place.

Very nice hotel in a historical building, morning yoga,...
    • Standard Twin Room

I would prefer water in bottles, not in jars. No hair dryers in the room, no coffee/ tea facility.

Very nice hotel in a historical building, morning yoga, helpful staff. Spacious and comfortable room.

• Reviewed: 22 April 2017

Nice and helpful front desk.
    • Standard Twin Room

Everything is good but the washroom. It is dated and does not comfort to the style of the hotel.

Nice and helpful front desk. Every guest should try the free yoga course in the morning. It's amazing and relaxing.

Great building and gardens
    • Deluxe Double or Twin Room

The rooms can be a little dark in the day. Some heavier blinds/curtains to all windows are needed at night time.

We stayed in the Deluxe Double room which is a very generous size with a window seat overlooking the internal courtyard. It is a lovely space with decor in the traditional Nepalese style. The building and grounds are nice spaces to enjoy, especially to have a respite from the busyness of the city streets and are well maintained. Staff are very professional and accommodating. We had an evening flight and had to check out of our room earlier in the day, so the staff gave us access to a room to freshen up before the flight free of charge.

Enjoy the Nepali architecture with modern facilities
    • Standard Twin Room

They don't have a lift so it's a little difficult for the elderly people or people with small kids.

The hotel is located a little off from the bustling Thamel Chowk area which gives you a good experience while you sit for your tea or evening snacks in the courtyard of the hotel. The lawn there gives you the liberty to take a stroll bare feet to feel the green which is a rare experience in Thamel area. The hotel is built on local architecture yet modern when it comes to facilities. They have a nice dinning space and also food is good there too.

• Reviewed: 12 March 2017

The first boutique hotel in Kathmandu, gorgeous building, but facilities need enhancement
    • Standard Twin Room

(1) Facilities are a bit old, especially the shower area is not very convenient to use, and it took a while for hot water to come (2) The room we had has red carpet covering the floor, and it looks a bit aged. I think it's not very ideal considering Kathmandu being so dusty. But I saw other rooms with wooden floor, and that looked more pleasant (3) It's quite cold in the room and no heater. The good thing was that they prepared hot water bags in bed.

(1) Very pretty building in the Nepalese style, the wooden-carving windows are gorgeous (2) Very thoughtful to have placed hot water bags in bed to keep us warm

• Reviewed: 3 March 2017

Most tranquil hotel in Kathmandu
    • Standard Twin Room

English breakfast is delicious, especially the fried eggs. Hotel staffs are really helpful with explaining the surrounding areas and the places to go and even provided hot water bottle to pass through the cold night.

• Reviewed: 25 February 2017

For a unique experience in Kathmandu!
    • Standard Twin Room

No heating facilities available which could be challenging during winter for someone who's not used to cold weather. However they provide hot bags which wasn't suffice to be honest. During my stay - no one inform me that they were having problem with water system so when I was about to take a shower, there was only mud coming out of the tap. For breakfast: they serve really good tasting food however I suggest that they leave a print out on each table of all breakfast selection so guest can know that they are entitled for a free ala carte breakfast. I saw some guests just walk out of the restaurant, assuming they don't serve breakfast or guests have to pay extra for it.

I love the temple-like structure and ambience of the hotel with good interior. Friendly staff.

Browse Kantipur Temple House traveller photo gallery