Reviews of Airport Gateway Hotel 3 stars

206 Kirkbride Road, 2022 Auckland, New Zealand

#121 of 161 hotels in Auckland

• Standard Double or Twin Room

It’s the first pick up for the yellow bus which then calls to about 5 more hotels so takes about 30 minutes to airport, so make sure you allow plenty of time!

Good value for money & close to airport for an early flight, free parking, comfortable bed.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

I arrived in the middle of the night, freezing cold and exhausted after 24 hours of traveling, and they had left a heater on in the room. I was so grateful for that!

• Standard Double or Twin Room

I was quite disappointed that most TV stations were not accessible due to a new system being put in - I would not have rebooked if I had known this in advance. There was a lot of noise happening outside - perhaps late night road works or building - going on through into the early hours of the morning - not helpful when sleep time is limited already due to flight schedule. No Hot chocolate sachets. No 'real' milk available even though there is a restaurant on the premises which had no people dining both times that I stayed at the hotel. I was told to go down the road to get it at the same time that a kitchen staff member was sitting in reception as there was no one in the restaurant. Speaks for itself :( I will Not be staying at this place again.

Reasonably comfortable bed and bathroom. Free Yellow Bus transfer. Driver was very helpful.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Well where do I start. The photos looked nothing like what it actually was. It was dirty and run down. The beds were like rocks, the sheets were like cardboard and the pillows were as hard as anything!! Not worth the money that they won’t! Very poorly run. Showed at at 3am were never talk a time for breakfast and was nothing displayed in the room. When we show up at 9:35 we were told breakfast finished t 9:30 so tuff luck we had missed out! Who close breakfast at that time! Especially when you have people arguing early in the morning as you are an airport motel! They are trying to make a quick buck. People would double pay for breakfast as they were never told anything about it so would pay for it when it was included in the price of the room. The restaurant was dark and dingy! When we arrived to our room they had the heater on full bore! It was so hot we had to open all the windows at 3 in the morning and turn on the fan so we would be able to sleep. The list goes on! Would so not recommend! Way over priced!

What did I like?? Not a lot. Only how close it was to the airport

• Standard Double or Twin Room

We stayed there twice in 2 weeks, first stay was fine, good for just a bed at night. However second stay we arrived and after going to get into bed, we found 10+ long black hairs in the bed and the bathroom vanity sticky. I went to reception and the guy said he would come down. We waited 20minutes and still no one arrived so I went back to reception, he was with guests and understood he was busy and gave him a reminder. another 15 minutes passed so I headed down to reception for the third time to find the reception guy getting himself a coke from the vending machine - he had obviously forgotten. He came down, looked at the bed and then offered us another room down the hall that was blocked due to a leak, we didn't care at this stage as we just wanted to sleep after travelling all day. he had turned the heater on for us which was nice but also taken the remote with him, so we had woken up some hours of the morning over heated without being able to turn off the heater. For $120.00 per night it is not worth it, maybe $80.00 but we got no compensation for our issues besides offered a breakfast which opens after we depart for our flight anyway. So wont be returning.

We got a complimentary shuttle bus to and from the airport which was great.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

No baggage trolleys to use esp when you have few bags and your room is a distance away

The staff and the price. Rooms were good, the restaurant was delish.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

3 channels only on TV, uncomfortable bed, dirty tissue on floor under desk, wet carpet, broken cords on jug.

Location was good near airport and transfers with yellow bus Reception staff were good.

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

We arrived hoping to watch a rugby match on TV only to find we weren’t able to. There was a fault with their Sky.👎 We are avid followers so we’re disappointed of course!

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Said i would get a bath but didnt, was looking forward to a soak before international travel

Price and location also staff friendly and free bus transfers

• Standard Double or Twin Room

My bed broke within 5 minutes of me getting to the room, the front desk man told me it would be fixed in the morning by staff because he was unsure on how to fix it, I went out the next day and came back and my bed was made but was still broken. The shower head didn’t stay in place and you would physically have to hold it, The place next door gets noisy occasionally and can be heard from the room.

Close to the airport, I added an extra night last minute, which was no problem, Free 1G of wifi for 24 hours, Good value for money, Has a free shuttle to the airport.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

nothing it is an airport hotel and doesnt pretend to be anything else

we had a burger from the restaurant and it was really good a proper old fashioned burger the bed was comfy a perfect place to stay the night in transit it was good value and nice staff made it an easy stay

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Smelled funny and tvs in the rooms didn’t work, heat pump also didn’t work, the did have an oil heater going so the room was warm when we arrived however which was good as we had a baby with us

Staff very friendly and able to check in at 1am

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

Forced to stay overnight in Auckland due to delayed plane departure, the hotel was only 10 minutes away from the airport and the shuttle service was provided free. Hotel is run by a family which also provides an in house restaurant which we used, meals were substantial and very reasonably priced as were the drinks. While the hotel is not new it was clean and provided everything we required being a bed and shower, we caught the free shuttle back to the airport at 04.37am. We considered the accommodation very good value for money

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

The yellow bus to airport is free but it takes around 30 minutes to get to the international airport as five or six hotels it calls into first then to domestic airport before the international.. if it had its own shuttle that would be great..

Close to airport and the car can stay there till you return..

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Wooden Surround around bathroom door rotted out. Door hard to shut as swollen at bottom.Two mismatching cups which didn't even sit on the saucer properly. spilt hot tea over myself. \no hot water in room late Sunday night, luke warm on Monday morning. NO TV when I asked why the reception said they were reacabling the whole hotel so no TV. When I complained about the hot water reception said noone else was complaining. End of conversation!

Nice linens

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Bed mattresses were worn out. Noise from other guests travels through walls easily.

Used this hotel for overnight stay for early flight. Free shuttle bus service very efficient and runs through the night for early departs. Service staff efficient and helpful. Overall good value.

• Two-Bedroom Family Room

The heater blew as soon as we arrived , light didn’t work in toilet , no remote for the tv and it wasn’t as clean as other motels we have stayed in , one of the windows in the bedroom wouldn’t close , needs an update

Location , price , friendly staff . Comfy bed

• Standard Double or Twin Room

For us this was just a stop-over after a very long flight home. The room itself was alright though in need of a facelift but the beds were comfy enough. The fridge hadn't been cleaned though at the last checkout as there was a container of very old and moldy food in it.....the receptionist apologized and made a note to pass on to housekeeping. The shower was great after such a long traveling time, if you are looking for a quick stopover then this place is just ok.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Staff at at reception need to smile and be more welcoming.

Comfortable bed and clean. Free yellow bus to hotel and then back to airport is very good bonus.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Property is fine except very cold room without proper heating for the winter season. Very uncomfortable indeed. Only small portable heater is available in the room and is not working properly!! No extra heater is provided upon request. Only told to put on blanket!! The room temperature is too cold for showing etc..as the outside temperature was 4°C!! Hotel front door locked at midnight!!! Only posted a door sign to call management. This is unheard of!! Do not ask guests to call. Suggest pressing door bell if the hotel needs to lock the front door at night!! Great inconvenience for guests with late arrival, specially for guests arriving aboard with no local SIM card to place the call. Hotel management is also not responsive. Emailed hotel requested the information regarding to free airport transfer and also my flight arrival time days before my hotel booking date. No response till the date after my check out!! Totally unacceptable.

Property could be better maintained.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Building and facilities getting very tired. TV system not working. Advised by front desk staff that there was no system as it was being recabled. Room outside door not closing properly. Hard to close and latch window.

Not too far from Auckland Airport.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

We were flying out early and other guests were really noisy, could hear them through the walls so we didn’t sleep well at all. Booked for 3 guests and only 2 towels were provided.

Great location and shuttle bus to airport was easy to organise

No telivision reception, stained carpets, poorly cleaned. Security light intruded into room.

Its location, close to airport. An attempt to modernise the bathroom.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

It was a lot cheaper than many other options I looked at. The bed was amazing - best sleep I've had in years. Half from being so tired from travelling and half the mattress was so good lol. Shower very good too, spacious tiled shower, was great. It's not a 'flash' hotel but it was all good.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Door wasn't soundproof to passing guests in hall

We arrived 12.30am and were greeted at desk by pleasant young man, was offered a wakeup call and free shuttle to airport in the morning , and pleasantly surprised to find the heater going in our room which was warm and toasty ,

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Unfortunately other inconsiderate travellers either leaving or arriving at thr hotel between 4 and 5 in the morning laughing and talkng loud disturbing us

Close to airport with free shuttle. Eating places close by. A simple breakfast included

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The bathroom wasn't clean (scum and hair in the shower, pee down the front of the toilet, splashes and even writing from the previous guest on the mirror), jug hadn't been checked (had rosemary in it...?) which I was then told to bring to reception at 10pm instead of having a replacement bought to me - I had my children with me. For a family room to sleep 3 it only had 2 cups, 2 glasses in the bathroom and 1 teaspoon...making breakfast rather difficult. 2 towels in a room they knew 3 people were going into, minimal teas and coffees that weren't checked (1 opened sugar and coffee), no kid friendly hot drink option didn't help things either.

Beds were good, one of the people on reception was nice, check in and out was easy and free airport bus.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The restaurant looked dated and shabby, so we didn't eat there. The only available two pillows were huge & hard. NZ hotels in general are expensive.

The staff were helpful & friendly, and the location was good. The room was adequately spacious, the bed was comfortable, a good shower. The airport shuttle was professional & on time.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Location free transfer to airport and very clean and comfortable bed.

Needs a little maintenance like paint but I was pleasantly surprised how good it was, great value and comfortable.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Room not clean (food scraps in cupboards, greasy shelves), light in one bedroom not going, TV not going, dated decor, restaurant had run-out of Steinlager Pure...only good point was frontline staff (very helpful)

• Standard Double or Twin Room

We stayed here for 10 hours before flying out, the rooms have a key lock and sliding chain lock,you can hear everyone in the hallway, the restaurant next door is also dated, I recommend you eat at the airport. Great deal if you are only here for a few hours or on a budget.

The big yellow bus free shuttle to and from airport. The early morning 4am pick up, Nice garden for children to play,outdoor pool, friendly smoking area for smokers.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Everything tv didn’t work room was dusty room was dirty door was broken outside our room was filthy I wouldn’t recommend this place to anyone

Shower pressure

• Standard Double or Twin Room

No smile from the lady at the reception desk when I checked in. She was the one that wears some sort if material that covers her head and neck. Didn’t really feel welcomed by her. I was given the keys to my room only to find there was an old packet of cooked chicken in the fridge that smelt bad. I called her at reception and she came to the room to remove the chicken and then she moved me to another room. In that new room the tv wasn’t working which was a bit of a pain because my son wanted to watch TV. Now, because the tv wasn’t working fine in the first room I was given, I called reception and asked if I could move back to that room (chicken was removed and didn’t worry about it anymore) she then said that the room is closed and someone was going in to that room to have a look. We told her about the tv in the new room and she said she’ll send the chef over to have a look. The chef was the one who told me I could move back into the first room! There was a stain on the white sheet that covered the bed and that kinda put me off. I’m not too sure what went on there but it really isn’t hard to be polite. First impression was not good. Don’t think I will be going back.

My bed was comfortable.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Check in staff member not helpful at all. Information not very clear on "shuttle" service. 1am arrival and room windows and door were all open ...room was freezing. Continental breakfast consisted of toast with choice of 2 spreads, muesli or weet bix. Newsprint table cloths and a staff member watching you the whole time.

Bed was comfy

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Shuttlebus takes a little longer than expected (35 minutes) - and put driving stopped for 5 mins to go to the toilet! Not the hotel’s fault but beat it in mind when booking your shuttle time.

Good location for airport with free shuttle bus service (it goes round to a few local hotels on its route so if you need to get there quickly, get a taxi! It took us about half a hour to get to airport so consider that when selecting the bus time you want!). Clean and comfortable room and bathroom.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Didn't realise there was no shuttle to the airport and the bus took 45 mins at 6.30am.

The staff were very helpful and friendly, we needed this as we were travelling with lots of luggage a 2yo and a baby.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Our tariff included a paid breakfast which was not offered by the reception staff and we did not get. Details of our paperwork showing this would have been in their computer system. Reception staff not interested and rude when we complained. We did leave early in the morning and an early wake up call was made. Staff should have offered a take away breakfast. We asked for a breakfast refund which was flatly refused. Would not stay here again as we felt cheated.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Staff were grumpy, rude even. The food in the restaurant was below average. A hole in the ceiling of the bathroom was very badly botched up and this was supposed to be one of their better rooms.

Free shuttle to and from Airport.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

No customer service,non communicative staff at reception,room booked,paid for3 adults & only 2 of everything to use,broken shower head,not very clean. Shuttle is slow & poor staff attitude. Used to be really great WHAT HAPPENED????

Not much.

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

Poor selection at breakfast. No glasses available Colleague had to go to next door hotel to find a room as we were told only 1 room had been booked. Despite disputing this, we were told clearly there was no second room booked or other room available. This proved to be incorrect - both rooms HAD been booked and paid for. Although there was an apology and a refund, it was still unacceptable that this degree of hassle had to be put up with.

Staff was rude, unfriendly. It may sound like you will be at the airport in 5 minutes with their free shuttle, but it took us 25 minutes on the 4:37am trip, so keep that in mind. 3-bed room: one bed great, one fine, and one really bad. We had a room at the back, and it's hard through 2 sets of doors and outside path to manouvre big/many luggage. Dilapidated grounds.

Fine for one night sleeping only, otherwise look elsewhere.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The carpet in the room was visibly dirty. The lamp shade was stained. The sheets and pillowcase looked dirty.

The proximity to the airport and the free airport shuttle.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The Wifi allocation ran out extremely quickly . When I phoned reception I was not informed that I could purchase extra. Only was told that at checkout.I think allocating WIFI like this is very dated. No instructions in the room on what TV channels could be selected so I was stuck with only one channel

The rooms were reasonable value for money

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The hotel is very easy to get to on the shuttle. The rooms are very reasonably priced and quiet. 24 hour reception makes staying here whilst in transit a breeze

• Standard Double or Twin Room

We had booked and paid for 3 adults in the room, but only had towels and tea cups for 2. Walls were really thin, but luckily we didn't have noisy neighbours.

Very comfy bed, clean, lovely sheets. Clean and tidy room.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

We thought that there was a free transfer to the airport, HOWEVER, IT IS NOT FREE! We called the hotel when we arrved and they said that we had to come with the yellow bus which cost us NZD6 per person one way.

The room was very big, the bed was nice and the bathroom was spacious.

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

We were advised that we will be picked up by a shuttle and all you need to do is call 48 from I sisite. The instructions given to be picked up and what happened was different and put undue stress on us and the driver of the yellow bus. There was a breakdown in communication and we were left scrambling to return to collect our vehicle. We did get to hotel but was with drama.

Location and free parking of vehicle for 5 days

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

There was no tea/ coffee in room on arrival, even after two trips to reception, could not get SKY working which was one reason we picked this motel. Bed was very hard, motel was noisy throughout the night

Really good location for Auckland airport, easy to find

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Wake up call did not happen at all; therefore missed bus pickup; other than for my knowledge of procedure, having only carry on luggage and being very well known at the airline, I would have missed my flight and an important meeting. If a wake up call is offered and accepted, then it MUST happen.

Nice room, very comfortable bed

• Standard Double or Twin Room

This Hotel is very convenient for Airport connections. Our room was roomy and comfortable and clean. We would stay here again. Restaurant meal was very good.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

It's very basic and out of dated people running by India. The breakfast is very limited choice, nothing to eat. There is a weird smell in the carpet.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Needed some TLC in the room - the bathroom door should be replaced as it was damaged around the bottom and brought down the rest of the room. And the base of the bed had been repaired with some bare 4x2 timber- not a good look.

Friendly staff and the room was a good size and quite

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The first room we were in the sliding door did not lock properly and the air-conditioning didn't work either so my partner went to tell the manager and got told we can move to a nicer room. So we went out the next day and told the supervisor that we wouldn't be back until a certain time to get back earlier than the specified time to find them in our room without us saying that could be in there. The second room was the same as the previous room it was just a view of the out of service swimming pool rather than the car park. We were dissapointed to see that both the swimming pool and the spa pool were out of service.

The manager was polite the rooms were tidy

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The pool was out of order

The property has been refurbished since we were last there so it made a huge difference we had a comfortable bed a new shower, the halls had been repainted and retiled.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Room was for 3 people, but only two of most items supplied! Not serious but should be checked. Menu of restaurant should be in the file supplied. And times restaurant open and closes.

Beds and pillows very comfortable. Quiet. Shower had great pressure! Enjoyed tea and coffee supplied. Parking right outside our room was handy. Shops close by.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The linen/ bed sheets, pillow cases smells body odour. I have to cover it with towels & turn the sheets over. Was very tired & exhausted that I didn’t bothered to see staff

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Very noisy so didnt get much sleep. Single bed in room really soft and not appropriate for an adult to sleep on. Carpet in my room was really dirty.

Bathroom.

• Three-Bedroom Family Room

Our room wasn't ready for us when we arrived just after 2pm. We were asked to wait another 15 minutes. The building was quite old and run-down. Some of the skirting boards were damaged. However we did get the room for a very good price.

Room was quiet and comfortable.

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

The water pressure in the shower was not very good. The corridors were long and multiple with mirrors at the end, which made the place feel a bit like a maze- we met several fellow lost guests while trying to find our way out!!

Friendly, helpful and professional staff. Plenty of car parking. Spacious room, functional, clean and a comfortable bed with everything we needed (including fridge, kettle and microwave). Great location for a stop off before heading to the airport. Didn't use restaurant or other facilities, so unable to comment on those, but overall, met expectations for the price paid.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The restaurant was very outdated decor wise. Although the meal we ordered was really good. Paint and possibly real plants would make the world of difference. Also the tablecloths and chair covers with the paper on the tables was actually quite unattractive. White cloths would be nicer along with uncovered chairs.

Room was clean with nice bedding. Free parking for up to 4 or 5 days is fantastic. Also free transfer to the airport makes this incredible value for money. I would definitely stay here again as the location to the airport is also fantastic.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The included breakfast was rather basic - but adequate for one day.

There was a shuttle service to the motel, even late at night, and an hourly service back to the airport in the morning. Location reasonably close to the airport terminals.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

I didn't like that the purchase I made showed a $100 tarrif but I ended up paying 106. I didn't like that the purchase I made showed a bath tub but didn't get one. PLEASE check the dangerous wall sockets that move when u plug something in and also check the smoke alarm that wasn't closed. Apart from the above,nice although the hallway carpet is very dirty and needs ripping up

Queen bed has sticky out springs

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The restaurant was very poorly presented and the food was worse!! Should have known by the menu's that it was going to be very poor quality. We ordered the Cajun burger which was meant to come with cheese and onions. It was a meat patty drowned in bbq sauce and mayo and a piece of lettuce. The menu has a selection of wines but they aren't actually available. I'd stay here again but wouldn't eat at the restaurant.

Comfy bed, quiet location.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Not extremly clean, and for 120$ a night I would expect the room to look better. Not as showen as pics.

Staff is nice Good for one night stay incase of connection

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Obviously the room was for 3 but the amenities provided were only for 2, the service was average in finding the ac remote control lol. The common laundry room was a bit dusty, could have done a daily check on it.

Lucky to get a room very near to reception, first floor, check-in process was smooth, free airport shuttle, room size was big enough for 3 adults and most importantly they are a single storey property!

Old run down property. Do beneficiaries stay here? I know its Mangere but the neighbours outside my window at 6am had been drinking.

Cheap. Near airport. A trip back in time.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Convenient location for our airport departure. Could have had a shuttle bus to the airport, but we didn't need. Room clean, spacious and shower has good pressure.

• Two-Bedroom Family Room

It’s incredibly old, though they have renovated parts of the room. The furniture is lovely, but door handles were falling off, carpet was marked and the dishes were oily and grimy.

Great proximity to the airport and the bed was AMAZING!

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The price for what was on offer steeeeep. We stayed in a busy weekend for Auckland I do realize that but to make it up to $410 for 1 night wow!

Good accessible, free shuttle, from and to the airport.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The locks on the door did not work in three rooms we got moved between. Several reasons; cleanliness - poor. Faeces and urine stains on the rim and seat of toilet, blood and urine on mattress protector as well as hair under the bedspreads.

Breakfast was budget rate, cold; poached eggs were poorly cooked and cold, tomatoes were over cooked and cold, bacon was over cooked and two small pieces.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The shower door was broken and the carpet into the room from the bathroom wet, so obviously a problem. Very surprised the staff seemed unaware as it was an obvious issue.

Nothing bad to say

Location is close to the airport with bus transfers available if you ask at the front desk, was a good hotel for an overnight stay before a flight in the morning, staff were amazing and friendly, room was comfortable and spacious.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The room was showing signs of its age with an old style vent we could hear the wind through in the bathroom and damage on some of the walls.

Everything was clean and the room was a good size. There was Sky TV and a Skywatch guide. There is a free transfer bus to the airport, which is great with the high price of parking at the airport.

• Two-Bedroom Family Room

This place is in need of renovation. Our room, a two bedroom apartment was noisy as it is located on a main road. The staff need further training in customer service. It is situated close to the airport, and there is a free airport transfer bus. Allow extra time for this as traffic is very slow.

The room was clean and warm.

Browse Airport Gateway Hotel traveller photo gallery