Reviews of Apple Motor Inn

409 Railway Road, SH2 New Zealand, 4201 Hastings, New Zealand

#17 of 20 hotels in Hastings

6.2

• One-Bedroom Family Room

Thank you, we were thrilled to have a two bedroom unit at such a reasonable price!! We come to Hastings often to see friends, this is the best option we have found so far and hope to be able to snap up this same room again in future. Thank you also for accommodating a very last minute date change, with ZERO drama. Thank you.

• Budget Room

very clean nice bed this unit for a one person value for money nice friendly management so close to town thankyou would stay again when next model train show is held in hastings

• Upstairs Studio Twin Room

Needed more lighting in room there wasn't any main lighting. No tea spoons . Heater in room didn't hear room up at all . I froze most of the night until i hoped into bed with electric blanket .

I liked how room over looked swimming pool . Room i had did have a heater but it didn't hear room up and i was very cold . Also room had very poor lighting in room . There was one bed side lamp and one wall light then 3 or 4 lights around a mirror . No main lights at all. No tea spoons . Room was clean . Bed was comfortable TV a gd size . Bed spread may need changing regular as i was itchy all night .

• Ground Floor Studio

Had to request another pillow for both of us, only two in total on bed. Table legs rusty. Water only warm not hot enough for shower. No smoke detectors, thought this was mandatory.!! Requested extra blanket twice not provided. Was told the units were insulated. Requested assistance with tv reception, person came over advised it was atmospheric Ok. TV on table not on bracket cords handing lose , hard to use table to eat. Male in office was rude when approached about TV I was told to calm down it would be fixed, I advised I was calm just annoyed, I was at no time rude.

Free paper on arrival.

• Upstairs Studio Twin Room

It was easily accessable, clean, spacious, awesome value for money!!!! The beds were comfy and our space hadveverythingvwe needed. Great shower awesome pressure.

The smell

The bed was a bit itchy were seem like need to be washed. The floor carpet was dump and dirty that you feel like not walking with bare feet. The room smells cigarette smoke.

• Budget Room

Didn't have hot water on the first morning until we were told to run the water for about 5 to 10 minutes and then the hot water did come thru to our unit.

Price was good

• Budget Room

Clean, comfortable if you're not looking for frills. Free newspaper and milk was a nice surprise. We slept well, but the toilet/shower room could do with a exhaust fan.

• One-Bedroom Family Room

Their customer service could do with some attention! The pool needed to be cleaned. The plug-in essence was so overpowering we had to open the windows while we were sleeping. No one was on reception when we tried to check out had there been someone there, I would have voiced this to them in person. We won’t be back, EVER!

Didn't like much of it at all we should have been able to stay as team rather than scattered all over the complex and no hot water on one and the water pressure was discussing dirty dishes in units and no key for a unit having to leave it unlocked when we were away for the day on Saturday

• Budget Room

Two lights were not working when I arrived. There was no comfort (Except for the bed) The website suggested there would be a couch in the room. There wasn't; just two hard chairs. No electric blankets and no extra bedding was provided. I was cold. The shower was just a dribble of lukewarm water. (Apparently affected by extensive road works which blocked the entrance to the motel.) Limited channels on TV and poor reception. No milk provided.

Comfortable bed Wifi worked well

• Upstairs Studio Twin Room

It was a bit weird that you had to wash your dishes in the bathroom sink. it didn't feel culturally appropriate that you would go to the toilet and your washed dishes were sitting in the dish rack on the bathroom bench. The TV in our room also had a lot of static interference and the volume sometimes had it's own mind.

We really appreciated that staff waited for us to arrive. We called in to let them know we were going to be later than expected and it was not a problem. We hope we didn't keep them too long . Also liked the ease in booking our accommodation, its proximity to the city center and to our event, plus on site car parking. The weather didn't allow for us to use the pool but it looked great.

No milk was supplied.

It was handy to where we needed to be. It's not flash by any means but when I book a very budget motel all I expect is clean, secure and quiet. It could have been a little cleaner (the sheets didn't seem that fresh) but it was secure and quiet and adequate for a one night stay when all you need is a bed.

• Budget Room

The interior is well overdue for redecorating. Some of the paintwork - doors , architraves etc - looked like it had been done by a very unskilled person. I think my 12 year old grandson would do a better job and would also use an acrylic paint rather than a water based one. This is not a serious defect but if corrected could have scored the place close to 100% as it was certainly clean and tidy with all amenities.

Reception was very pleasant and the room was clean and tidy. Everything was provided that I would need and the place proved very functional.

• Ground Floor Studio

Was accused of stealing towels, I know for sure towels we're not where they said they were when I arrived, I always have my own towels anyeay

Room was spacious, comfortable bed, reception lady was really nice

• Budget Room

When we arrived at 1130pm, there were a number of people still loitering around the car park. They watched us from the point we arrived until we got in the room. In the morning when packing our van, we had the people next to us watching us through their windows. It was a little disconcerting. We were expecting a small studio and thought we would have a small kitchenette. We didn't make a fuss or share our concerns with the owner. In the end we ended up finding another motel for the second night. Overall the staff were pleasant to deal with and made things easy, it was just the environment that made us feel uneasy

The staff were accommodating and friendly. Good water pressure in the shower.

• Upstairs Studio Twin Room

The people who run it were extremely rude. As was the apple pickers who obviously stay there full time were creepy, and made us feel uncomfortable. They left there washing to dry in the hallway which stunk the place out. They winked at us several times and a little heads up about them being there would have been nice. The pipes made an extremely loud noise every second. The place was cold and our room was cold. There was no place to plug the heater in. The people, place and vibe was so bad we had to take our baby to his aunts house because I didn't feel safe with him there, it took us a 2 hour drive to get there. As we were packing the car in the morning ready to depart the lady who runs that place walked straight pass us having a smoke, didn't say a thing. Went to the reception and there was a note saying she will be back in 15. Safe to say, never staying there again. And I will make sure to tell those who I know not to either.

I enjoyed leaving the place.

• Budget Room

I was incredibly disappointed by the place. I was allocated a room upstairs and felt like I was the only woman there in a sea of men who were apple pickers who all had their dirty, smelly gumboots the length of the corridor. I would have appreciated being given a heads up on this before I arrived at the venue. I would have paid more to sleep in a different part of the facility. The room was old, tired and everything in it worn out. The shower only piddled and the pipes in the walls kept making a horrendous noise. I tried hard to find somewhere else to sleep that night but didn't know my way around Hastings. The place reeked of cigarette smoke too.

Leaving early in the morning

• Upstairs Studio Twin Room

We needed a quick overnight stay in the town, and this place met our needs perfectly. It was a bit dated, but perfectly clean. The bed was comfortable, and the microwave and toaster were a bonus. There were a lot of seasonal fruit pickers staying in the complex, but they were friendly, and not a problem

• Budget Room

No milk was provided. I know there was a problem but was told it would be made available - meant no breakfast or coffee for me . Other wise I was ok with everything

• Budget Room

The refrigerator in room was extremely noisy . I Had to increase the TV volume whenever the refrigerator cut on. It was painful overnight.

Facilities were basic but ok. Room was clean.

• Upstairs Studio Twin Room

No radio,no sink in kitchen area (had to use basin in toilet/shower area),and bench so small,there was only room for a microwave oven! Had to put electric jug on top,cause no bench space!

Comfortable beds, decent size TV

• Budget Room

The facilities were good but unfortunately they'd agreed to allow busloads of migrant workers and their families stay after their hostel burned down. We originally booked for 3 nights but asked to leave after the first and asked for the money back for the unused 2 nights. We still haven't had it back!!!

The cost was reasonable

• Budget Room

i didnt feel like a guest,more like imposer.other stayers very loud constantly.no milk in fridge. when guest yelling at each other at 6.10 am after being loud all night i started yo rethink my tent option.

i liked the pool for my child

• Budget Room

We didn't actually stay here as when we arrived the receptionist, who must have been having a bad day, politely told us that workers down the street had accidently cut off the water and telephone. However she had arranged a room for us next door at the Angus Inn so that's where we stayed and were very comfortable

• Two-Bedroom Family Room

Very basic accommodation. Touring around the south island we stayed in a number of hotels, apartments, motels and two holiday parks. Apple Motor Inn was at the bottom of this list. I would rate it equal to one of those tourist parks (Blenheim) and well below the other (Twizel). The price at Apple Motor Inn was $159 compared with Blenheim Holiday Park at $79 and Twizel Holiday Park at $135. Hence my poor rating under "value for money". The location was well away from any shops or restaurants (15-20 minute walk).

• Budget Room

I was expecting a microwave in the room to heat food but my mistake I know as it didn’t say there was a microwave at time of booking The pool didn’t have any stable loungers to lie on

• Upstairs Studio Twin Room

THE POOL WAS DIRTY. THE MOTEL WAS MORE LIKE A HOSTEL NOT A MOTEL THE PLACE WAS ACTUALLY DIRTY, THE SHEETS WERE NOT EVEN PRESSED I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND THIS TO ANYONE. WE WOULD HAVE PACKED UP AND GONE BUT WE DIDNT HAVE ANYWHEREELSE TO GO

• Upstairs Studio Twin Room

This motel should not be advertising rooms on booking.com pretending it is a normal motel for the average traveller when it is in fact a main accommodation hub for black-African male harvest helpers that party until 2am in the neighbouring room, have noisy conversations in hallways and bang doors, play music overly loud and whistle at you. Not a pleasant place for a single white female professional who is travelling for work and needs a rest. Apart from that it had no bin in the room, no spare blanket, no milk in the fridge and no shampoo.

• Budget Room

It stunk in the room and reception the showers werent very clean and the beds were less than average, the advertised pool was dirty and looked unusable.

The location was eaay enough to find

• Budget Room

Needed a better surface for food prep/eating than the wooden desk.

enjoyed being ground floor with car parked outside room. Very helpful with the laundry. close to town. Bed comfortable Very reasonable price compared to other motel stayed in.

• Ground Floor Studio

This motel should not be listed as a travellers motel. It is essentially used as a hostel for migrant workers. And therefore not suitable for holiday clients. It was very bad value for money. A few days later we stayed at one Burgess hill new Plymouth and the room was real luxury for only a few dollars more per night. Please discontue to use this place for holiday makers.

• Budget Room

it was the fruit picking season and the motel was inundated with the workers who worked hard and also partied hard making my stay very unpleasent. Late night noise and early morning disturbance as they prepared to go to work

not a lot

• Two-Bedroom Family Room

I booked this room in July. 6 months prior to turning up. The man at reception who I believe is the owner was incredibly rude. He told me they needed to juggle people around Hastings due to the influx of workers in town. So he told me my group and I had been loved to a different hotel. I asked if the hotel was the same eating as his one and he insisted it would be better but the same price. He told me if I didn’t like it then he would refund me my deposit and I had to find somewhere else. I was running late for a business meeting so agreed and trusted his word. Got to the new motel and it was certainly not better. My employees had to walk through my room to use the bathroom. It was smelly and old. What I picked up was that the man had an opportunity to make more money by taking a massive group booking to the detriment of people like me who had the room booked for 6 months. It’s bit right. And he didn’t care one little bit, I still had to pay the same rate for a much lower quality motel I never would have booked. I looked at canceling and going elsewhere but all properties were very very expensive at that late date. Terrible business owner. I hope they learn from this.

Nothing. Unprofessional awful experience. Rude staff.

• Upstairs Studio Twin Room

Reception not opened until 8.30am Pool dirty, almost green. Stairs to and from Room hadnt been swept for a long time. No where to wash breaky dishers or wine glasses. Not taken and cleaned by housekeepers.

• Ground Floor Studio

I can't rate the property as it was picking season and was completely booked out. The owner was excellent in handling the situation and had organised for us to stay in a motel a couple of doors down at the same price.

• Upstairs Studio Twin Room

No allocated parking places for rooms.

Friendly welcome on arrival. Milk for tea/coffee. Very comfy bed. Little veranda from room. Free apples at reception.

• Budget Room

Having been here before and liked it we were very surprised to find that it had gone down considerably. Minimal facilities, only one chair in room for couple (rectified during stay) and the place feels rundown. Sorry to see this as it used to be very good value for money.

We liked being in a convenient place. Close to city centre and to Havelock North which we visited.

• Budget Room

Sharing with hoards if itinerant fruit pickers! Communal kitchen next door to room. Extremely noisy and smelly. Power sockets in room placed in odd positions. So hot in rooms. No air con.

• Two-Bedroom Family Room

The place needs serious renovations very old school. The receptionist looked so tired and not very welcoming. Not very clean and the swimming pool looked dirty too.

The kids loved sleeping in bunk beds bur room was very small even for 3 small children!

• Budget Room

No kitchen facilities. We only stayed one night but would be an issue if staying longer.

Quick and easy check in. Room had plenty of space, en-suite, fridge and television

• Budget Room

If anything not to be in the room too close to the laundry room as foot traffic waz a bit noisy..my room to have a table under the cupboard 4 jug to sit on and boil..pool could of looked cleaner inside it..... also would of loved a spa..

People were friendly and my room was very clean and practical....just good enough for a 1 person stay..thoroughly pleased...will return for longer stay

• Upstairs Studio Twin Room

It looked like the sheets and pillow cases on the beds had not been changed/laundered. The toilet was right next to the fridge and microwave. I understand that there is meant to be TWO doors between a toilet and cooking facilities.The appearance is very shabby. No telephone in room as advertised. No inhouse book for visitors to read about the facilities at Apple, or what the town has to offer. Rubbish was not collected on the first day from our room.

Not much, but had no choice as all other Motels were booked out. Our visit to the Hawke's Bay was for my elderly Aunt to visit family, possibly for the last time.

• One-Bedroom Family Room

Needs a bit of modernising and cleaning no rubbish bin the place

Friendly staff and very helpful with allowing an early check in so we could get ready for an event

• Budget Room

free wifi would have been nice but with the room only $60, I guess one shouldn't complain

Basic, but clean and comfortable. Excellent value for the price at $60 a night.

• Budget Room

The bed was a little to hard and the outside light shone right into out room like a indoor light on all night, had to put towels up at the windows.

As we were with a large group the BBQ and tables allowed us to mingle in the earth of the evening with out over crowding the budget rooms.

• Upstairs Studio Twin Room

The washing basin in the Bathroom doubled up as a Dish wash basin -a bit awkward doing dishes in the bathroom even though a seperate plasic tub was provided it doesn't fit under the tap.

The Beds where really comfy, the room was a bit small but clean and had everything we needed for our stay. Was really hot so the pool outside was welcomming and well maintained, good for the kids. Had a ceiling fan in the room (no aircon unfortunately) but kept us cool enough. Walking distance to everything in Town.

• Ground Floor Studio

There was no information provided in the room, about the motel, use of TV, the location etc. It was hot weather, it would have been good to have access to a fan, this was promised, but never arrived.

Location was very convenient. Room was comfortable, Bathroom & toilet facilities very good.

• Upstairs Studio Twin Room

The pool (inside of the pool) needs paint. It made the water "look" dirty This didn't affect my stay or didnt stop me from swimming, the water quality was fresh and balanced and was a nice cool down. My Child and the many others there loved it. We will be back for another stay and swim

Safe area for my child and other kids to play, great swimming area on the HOT weekend we stayed.

• Budget Room

The room felt like prison cell. And the most disturbing thing was there were dishes for us to use but they expected us to wash our dishes in the bathroom which was right beside the toilet. The bed was uncomfortable, the furniture and rooms are out dated and not functional for a studio unit. It was a terrible experience so we left a whole day early even though we were booked for another night. I would be absolutely embarrassed if I had to let out such a room. Would never recommend.

It had a pool, even though it was dirty

quite noisy with people in pool. lady on desk didn't smile once wasn't.impolite but not very welcoming.

bed comfortable good.location. convenient cleaning staff polite and friendly

All the above.

There was a smell when you walked in the room Bed was old and uncomfortable. People had their workin clothes out drying on the ground and hanging over rails.

• Budget Room

We booked this on the basis of the reviews which suggested a nice clean motel within easy distance of the town centre. However, we found the motel dated and very basic. No air conditioning and unable to keep windows open as we were on ground floor and they opened enough to climb through. We were near the coke machine and could hear the motor running in the night. Room didn’t feel secure so kept everything in car when not in room. The nail in the coffin is that within half an hour of going to bed we developed a metallic taste in mouth and irritated throat with a cough that hasn't cleared over a week after our stay. Only stayed one night of the two we had booked as couldn’t stay a second night. When we checked out we were offered a change of room but by that time we had already decided to move.

• Ground Floor Studio

recessed lights in kitchenette area not working, wasn't able to connect to WIFI, couldn't watch TV from bed without getting crick in neck, very hot and no fan available

Seperate sink for dishes would be better and driving in past the seasonal workers gathering around the washing line was a little off putting but motel was good

Nice big clean rooms managed by nice people with friendly staff.

• Budget Room

Pool was in very poor state which was disappointing as was the main reason I booked here. Felt very uncomfortable with the large number of seasonal workers staying here, was noisy and not a good family environment . No smoke alarms. No curtains on the window above the bed making room overly light when trying to sleep. Room very small and worn. No info about motel or surroundings

Staff member was very friendly.

• Budget Room

The towels were thin , the sheets were thin, the bedspread was faded and dated. there was no hair dryer. The worst thing was the cleanliness around the door outside. There was no smoking in the room but there was ashtrays full of butts outside on the table and the concrete around the front needed to be swept. The pool area also looked like it needed a really good clean. I would not have gone near it.

• One-Bedroom Family Room

The pool appeared green and I would not let the kids swim in it.

Parking was right outside our door. Plenty of room for all of us. Clean, tidy and modern.

• Upstairs Studio Twin Room

We were in an upstairs studio - to get there you needed to go up a covered stairway - not completely covered in because birds live in the stairway and poop all over the bannister and the carpet covering the stairs. I was not keen on the children using the bannisters at all. There is a swing - which is good, children love swings, but this one has jagged steel bits at the bottom which gave the children a bit of a bite if they knocked their feet into as they went past. The pool looks unclean, but I suspect the pool water is clean and the bottom and sides need repainting.

• Two-Bedroom Family Room

The room and facilities were a bit tired, the 'pool and play area" were in need of a tidy up/renovation. The unit itself was adequate, but not as clean as I would have expected in any motel (I wiped mould off the wall in the bathroom and there were cobwebs in the bedrooms that had been there for some time).

The linen was clean and fresh. It was central to Hastings. The price was good

• Budget Room

Bit unsure about no smoke alarm in the rooms. As I/we were there in the summer, an air condition unit would have been a bonus. Other than those great value for money.

Great location for myself. Got an upgrade. Thanks apple Motor Inn.

• Upstairs Studio Twin Room

Found old food in the microwave that was left behind. Clearly it was not cleaned properly before we arrived and some of the dishes were dirty. I reported it and did not even get an apology.

• Upstairs Studio Twin Room

Very basic facilities. No hair dryer, flannels taken away on first day and not returned. Not enough pillows and the swimming pool looked a little green and not very inviting.

Nice and quiet and centrally located to Hastings.

• One-Bedroom Family Room

The swimming pool is too dirty to go in and the surrounding area feels a bit unsafe with lots of male workers staying in the lodge across the motel.

Friendly staff (and a cute cat on site). Very central location but at the same time very quiet to sleep in. Good value for a family staycation.

• One-Bedroom Family Room

Pool is not maintained. Tea towel would be nice for drying dishes as well as rubbish bin for the bathroom/toilet.

Quite cheap for family stay. Milk provided for. Basic amenities provided. Great value for money.

• Ground Floor Studio

We had very noisy neighbours that started partying after the concert and kept us awake till the early hours. Not the hotels fault but the walls were very thin. Luck of the draw.

The hotel was very close to town and close to catch a bus for going to the concert.

• One-Bedroom Family Room

Lock on ranchslider was worn out so it was a mission to even get your key out the door. We booked a 2 bedroom unit. One room had a set of bunks and single bed but the bunks literally needed dunking in a pool of crc as they were so noisy and creaky that no one could sleep on them as it prevented anyone else in the room and probably the neighbouring unit from getting any sleep. So we had to use the couch. Bunks need throwing away. Dining room chairs were quite dirty, you didnt really want to sit on them, some cheap plastic chairs from kmart or warehouse would be a big improvement. I think they just need a maintenance man to fix bedroom door handle and vanity hinges, this would improve things.

Was run-down with broken windows in hallway, fans were filthy in our room, missing lightbulbs & one of our rooms didn't get bins emptied for the 3 days, the other they took face cloths & soap & didn't replace them

Staff were friendly, except Manager who took offence when I asked for towels & soap & got told they put them in the rooms separately to cleaning & as we checked in early (25 minutes), they would be brought up.

• Budget Room

Big windows but have no security latches so cant be left open + no aircon = hot stuffy smelly room. Hard cum-ish looking stain on sheet. Needs a shelf for kettle to sit on while boiling. no toilet brush. nearly got 3rd degree burns from shower at night, cold water by day.

Wifi worked great, first motel we've stayed at that it's actually worked smoothly so give them credit for that. Pool looked fresh and clean. Coke machine was handy. Reception people lovely including the fluffy cat that greeted us. Price was very fair for what we received.

• Ground Floor Studio

We felt very relaxed at the Apple - and we were thrilled that they allowed us to bring our little 6 month old Fox Terrier to stay as well. This totally made our stay! Also the staff were available at midnight when I needed some assistance.

• Budget Room

I liked NOTHING about this filthy dump

what an absolute dump - filthy, full of prostitutes, pimps - detestable place!! never ever consider going there!

• Two-Bedroom Family Room

The toilet room was way too cramped, there were ants in the cupboard, the lighting was dim, no access to a fan or aircon.

The staff were friendly & very helpful. The pool was great & the location was ideal.

• Ground Floor Studio

Old and dated decor and furnishings. Shower needs refurbishing badly, doesn't look clean. Carpet needs replacing. No fan or air con and the day had been over 30 degrees.

Park outside motel unit. Spacious unit.great water pressure in the shower. Good kitchen utensils etc. Just old and dated.

• Two-Bedroom Family Room

the room had ants everywer and the staff wer quite rude and told us that they were not responsible for do our dishes during our stay... 1st Time for us..

not much

• Upstairs Studio Twin Room

Very basic accommodation - thin towels and simple furnishing. Would have benefitted from bedside lights, a little bit more luxury.

Moved us to a new room when we complained about smoke smell. Service friendly.

Browse Apple Motor Inn traveller photo gallery