Reviews of Aztec Motel This rating is a reflection of how the property compares to the industry standard when it comes to price, facilities and services available. It's based on a self-evaluation by the property. Use this rating to help choose your stay!

109 Ruahine Street, 4414 Palmerston North, New Zealand

#28 of 54 hotels in Palmerston North

Read more– opens a dialog box

• Reviewed: November 12, 2018

Pleased we stayed only the one night.
    • Studio

Bed was hard. Room and bedding smelt of smoke. The cockroach on the bathroom wall. Could have been a lot cleaner.

Location was great. Size of room good.

• Reviewed: October 30, 2018

With 6 adults, there was plenty of room for every one in the...
    • Two-Bedroom Apartment

Every time we cooked toast the fire alarm would go off even with the doors open !!Most motels have a directory to let you know what restaurant and things are available in the area, would have been helpful 😉😑

With 6 adults, there was plenty of room for every one in the lounge, and kitchen, the unit was well service, nice and private with good out door area for family's xx

• Reviewed: October 29, 2018

The room was clean and comfortable
    • Studio

There was no breakfast available, I was told there was a cafe 1 minute down the road, but I don't want to have to get up at 5am to go out for breakfast before I start work. The room was a bit noisy with the next room being very active very late (2am!)

The room was clean and comfortable

• Reviewed: October 25, 2018

We enjoyed our stay. It was very handy to our dinner friends and to the business we had to do.
    • Studio

We were surprised there were no electric blankets, despite the manual saying there were. Having to wash dishes in the bathroom basin felt funny.

Clean and tidy. Easy access. Good parking.

• Reviewed: October 14, 2018

Great value room for our stay, one of the best we stayed in...

Great value room for our stay, one of the best we stayed in during our travels around the North Island. Excellent amenities, all the little things such as makeup washer, skylights in bathroom and kitchenette made the experience that much better.

• Reviewed: October 6, 2018

Cruzing
    • Studio

There was really nothing to fault about this accommodation during my stay.

The facilities were great. Easy for me to get to and from during my stay. Accommodation was great would recommend staying again Easy to find.

• Reviewed: October 2, 2018

It was ok, but certainly nothing flash.
    • Two-Bedroom Apartment

The jug over-boiled because it didn't turn off by itself and almost caught fire. There was a really, really strong smell of Indian cooking. It seemed to be infused in the fabrics because it never went away. The facilities could do with modernising.

I liked the spaciousness of the unit. The manager was nice and helpful.

• Reviewed: September 22, 2018

The staff where really good and there was no trouble...
    • Studio Apartment

Traffic noise was a bit loud on the weekend due to the standard Palmerston North hoons.

The staff where really good and there was no trouble extending our stay due to travel problems

• Reviewed: September 5, 2018

Only stayed one night - too short to really review
    • Two-Bedroom Apartment

The room was a little dated. Although we spent most of our stay at our Event - we still liked our stay.

The room size was great for our group of 6 adults.

• Reviewed: August 21, 2018

Staff were lovely!
    • Queen Studio

All the cups and cutlery were covered in food and coffee from the previous guests. Made me question the cleanliness of everything

Staff were lovely! Helpful as well

• Reviewed: July 22, 2018

Very enjoyable
    • Studio

The shower was a bit mouldy and the fridge was very small.

Loved the room servicing daily. They even did our dishes and made out beds as well as replacing towels and other things we used. Made the stay lovely.

• Reviewed: July 22, 2018

Comfortable and suitable for 3 adults.
    • Studio Apartment

Heat pump control falling off all.

Close to friends we were visiting. Quiet unit. Clean and tidy. Obviously recently renovated. Modern kitchen and bathroom. Excellent shower

• Reviewed: July 20, 2018

I enjoyed my stay at the Aztec and the proximity to the venue we were going to was very convenient

NA

The room was more than enough for us and we had extras turn up and they were allowed to stay in our room. We had 2 couches for them to sleep on. The kids had a swim even though it was cold as. Thank you very much.

• Reviewed: June 30, 2018

Overnight stay for a function
    • Studio

Light from outside came through door as glass panels.

Comfy big bed, fan heater in room. Big bathroom, nice shower. Close to hospital and lovely bakery for breakfast. Quiet.

• Reviewed: May 26, 2018

Overall it was a good nights stay.
    • Studio

It’s just a little dated, needs a facelift. The kitchenette doesn’t have a sink so you fill your water and wash dishes in the bathroom which I don’t particularly like.

Overall it was a good nights stay. Comfortable and clean. Close to hospital - directly across the road. Close to airport (between 5 and 10 mins drive depending on traffic). Has Gas/Petrol station across the road too. Host is very pleasant and helpful.

• Reviewed: May 20, 2018

Value for money, clean and tidy accommodation with a great shower.
    • Studio

I chose the location for its proximity to where I needed to be in Palmerston North. It would not be convenient for The Square or river walks and being on a busy road there wasn't anywhere for a quiet stroll. There was no heating in the kitchen or bathroom.

I arrived earlier than expected in Palmerston North; the motel staff were welcoming and it was no problem for me to check into my room early. The room was clean, comfortable and well presented. The shower (with a shower dome) was excellent as was the heat pump in the bedroom/living area.

• Reviewed: May 4, 2018

I've been to a few places & honestly the Aztec made me feel at home I highly recommend this place.
    • Queen Studio

Absolutely brilliant I won't be going anywhere else highly loved,cant wait to come back...there is no better place to stay.

The laxed out environment & the sense that your living in your own element...its a mint place.

• Reviewed: May 2, 2018

Sorry but you really need to adress those a/c units
    • Standard Quadruple Room

So noisy, our unit was close to a main road. hardly got any sleep, too much road noise and the roof mounted heat pumps were vibrating so loudly it was the worst thing ever

• Reviewed: April 30, 2018

Clean
    • Studio

The room was not what we had booked. No lounge, no seperate bedroom for adults no bath, we needed a bath for athlete who was competing. We had been very careful when booking, and thought we were getting the pictures. All the person said to us was pay now the minute we arrived and never spoke to us again. We had to wash our dishes in the bathroom. Because we had paid we didn’t feel we could complain or try to get a room with at least a bath

Clean

• Reviewed: April 28, 2018

Bed was very comfy and the pillow was awesome!

Bed was very comfy and the pillow was awesome! Great sleep after an exhausting night dancing. Third time staying here. Thank you. We will be back again soon. Cheers

• Reviewed: April 22, 2018

Good value for the price with awesome takeaway nearby
    • Standard Quadruple Room

Would’ve been better if we didn’t need to go past the shower room to get to the toilet. These should’ve been placed the other way around so that you don’t have to see somebody showering on the way to the toilet, just for a bit of privacy.

Great price for the service provided.

• Reviewed: April 13, 2018

Not very friendly
    • Queen Studio

Not very friendly, I needed a receipt so I had to fill out my own receipt that the till receipt was stapled to. Wasn’t shown to the room or had anything explained, we were just given a key and milk and left to it.

Location and price

• Reviewed: March 28, 2018

Luved it and would definitely stay again
    • Queen Studio

We couldnt get the air con to work as it was very hot and couldnt get netflix or youtube to work

Room was clean tidy and had a ranch slider which was great, we could park directly outside our room so made it easy to unpack and pack the car

• Reviewed: March 12, 2018

Good and I'd certainly be happy to return.
    • Queen Studio

The lack of a kitchen sink was a problem - didn't like having to dispose of coffee grounds in the hand basin although there was clearly no room for a kitchen sink! And the lack of a TV guide was a nuisance - usually found in other motels.

Very comfortable bed, the unit was very clean and the lighting good. Generally very good.

• Reviewed: March 8, 2018

I like that for the price it was a large room very clean and...

N/A all good

I like that for the price it was a large room very clean and the owner was very accommodating. The lady advised me about where to go get something to eat and had empathy as why I was I was in Palmerston North. Everything in the room and the outside was fresh and clean.

• Reviewed: March 2, 2018

Comfort of 2 small armchairs to sit in.
    • Studio

The room, although supposedly non smoking, stank of stale tobacco/cigarette smoke. No sink in the kitchen area.

Comfort of 2 small armchairs to sit in.

• Reviewed: February 25, 2018

Nice motel but would not book again due to light disrupting sleep.
    • Queen Studio

The light from outside came directly onto my eyes as the blind was not big enough to cover the whole door. I barely slept. For this reason only I would not book again. Everything else about the property was great.

Room was nice, clean, tidy, has signs of being an older motel (exposed beams, and textured wall) but furnishings have been updated and it did not feel dated or tired.

• Reviewed: February 23, 2018

Great value for money
    • Queen Studio

Having to fill jug for coffee from tap in bathroom but that is minor compared to value for money. Owner very helpful, friendly and relaxed.

Great value for money. Lovely cozy rooms, great pressure shower and very comfortable beds.

• Reviewed: February 20, 2018

Our room was really comfortable with all the facilities we...
    • One-Bedroom Apartment

Our room was really comfortable with all the facilities we needed for 3 adult family members to cook meals and chill out together in a good sized space with separate beds. We've already rebooked to come back, and I would happily recommend this simple, no-frills motel.

• Reviewed: February 18, 2018

It could have been cleaner.
    • Studio Apartment

It could have been cleaner. On the surface it wasn't too bad but on closer inspection it wasn't that great. Dishes had been put away dirty. The ceiling had cobwebs and the skirting boards were all grubby.

• Reviewed: February 13, 2018

a 9+ rating for sure
    • Queen Studio

Nothing bad to say. No grocery stores nearby so make sure that you have what you need.

Excellent value for money and a location which allows easy exit out of town. Checkin was good, all kitchen ware, stove good, a swimming pool was available as was laundry. The lady at checkin was friendly and room was bright and airy

• Reviewed: February 11, 2018

A very great experience, comfortable beds and i felt safe being there alone.
    • Queen Studio

I don't think that anything could have been made better. I was happy with everything

The unit was clean, nicely set out and roomy. I loved the air conditioner/heat pump unit was great and easy to operate. Everything I needed was in the unit. No traffic noise. Lovely people. I have stayed the several times now and would not consider going anywhere else. Good value for money.

• Reviewed: January 28, 2018

Awesome

Nil

Location easy drive out to motorx. Swimming pool on site, walk to hospital as able to visit sick family member. Rebooked for this time again next year 2019

• Reviewed: January 8, 2018

Its the best I will recommend to family and friends.
    • Queen Studio

The convenience to Palmerston north hospital where a relative was but just overall everything about Aztec was 10 out 10 for us thank you so much.

• Reviewed: December 17, 2017

Nice small place, with a primo pool, handy to everything we needed.
    • Studio Apartment

The floor in the bathrooms weren't that clean, but not a major!

We were left to do our own thing, no one bothered us, kids could play in the pool with no worries! LOVED that!

• Reviewed: December 2, 2017

Everything you need for a good stay
    • Two-Bedroom Apartment

A bit dated and shower very small but was generally good value. Hard pillows.

Had all the bits and pieces we needed for our stay. Plenty of clean towels, spare pillows etc and all the extras. Great facilities and nice pool.

• Reviewed: November 26, 2017

Comfortable stay and just a few minutes away from my family's home, which I visited every day.
    • Queen Studio

Could have done with just a little more cooking facilities, as microwave not always suitable. The previous tenants could have read the sign better & not have heated up their curry takeaway!

The bed was quite comfortable & I slept quite well most of the time. Pity the bright lights from the new Birthing Centre shone straight in the front window onto the bed. Nice to have clean towels & room cleaned every day.

• Reviewed: November 15, 2017

Very enjoyable
    • Studio Apartment

Upon arrival and checking in, our host was a little brief on the greeting and conversation. We discussed this with her the next morning upon checking out and our comments were very well received and her apology was appreciated.

Nice design and layout of studio unit. making it easy to keep our possessions together. Excellent shower and vey comfy bed. Good off street parking. We would stay again.

• Reviewed: November 14, 2017

Would definitely stay there if anyone in hospital for a long period.
    • Queen Studio

Despite being on a main road, the motel units were very quiet, roomy, tidy, and well appointed. Main Hospital just across the road and 5 mins. away from the town centre by car. Reception excellent.

• Reviewed: October 29, 2017

Value for money, good location
    • Studio Apartment

Unit had a smoker in it before me who must have smoked inside, and the unit needed airing out and deodorizing for me a non smoker.

Handy location and close to hospital and airport

• Reviewed: October 22, 2017

Would go back, good location, nice and clean and quiet.
    • Studio Apartment

Had emailed a special request that was accepted and then told no on check in with no explanation. Female owner explained later but why accept the request in the first place?Male owner was rude and abrupt when speaking to me about it.

The rooms were clean and the bed was very comfortable.

• Reviewed: October 22, 2017

Overall my stay was awesome
    • One-Bedroom Apartment

The WiFi wasn't working well. Somebody took my parking outside my room but no biggy I just made my own next to it. I had to set up the TV so we could watch it

The beds were comfy. The staff was lovely. The room was great, I liked the little layout it had.

• Reviewed: October 20, 2017

Quiet motel despite being on a busy street.
    • Studio Apartment

Placement of the TV was a bit odd, given that there was no where to sit and watch it, and was almost unable to be seen from the bed.

Kitchenette facilities always a plus. Large bed , clean , suited us as we needed to be near the airport.

• Reviewed: August 27, 2017

Very suitable for what we needed which was quick, easy access to Ozanam House and the hospital
    • Studio

The shower temperature was disappointingly low. The table to share our breakfast on was inadequate

The bed was extremely comfortable and we really liked the private little view out of our ranch slider, I liked the thoughtful blind on the door so that we had privacy from the carpark

• Reviewed: August 24, 2017

We chose the Aztec for its location near the hospital.
    • Studio

We chose the Aztec for its location near the hospital. Despite its location on a busy road the room was peaceful. The facilities were good for the price and the Manager was friendly and accommodating. It was good not to have to pay for WiFi Access.

• Reviewed: August 24, 2017

Fine
    • Studio

The pillows - particular one of them I found very difficult to get comfy on. I used a second one the next night and found it better The lack of hot points near the bed and easy to use. There was an extension under the bed with one point taped over. I had to take the electric blanket plug out to plug my laptop in when I wanted to use it in bed. Panties in the ornament

It was quite comfy in all.

• Reviewed: August 6, 2017

Not a great experiance
    • Queen Studio

Electric blanket worked 1 side only, multi plug behind the bed was faulty as a result bedside light only worked sometimes (they had tried to repair it with blue tac). The bathroom plug and basin had black hairs on and around, 1 flannel for 2 adults, coffee limited to 2 cups each. The heater, turned it on got only cold air, turned up to 30.c still cold, played around with it was able to get to work, no instructions that we could find. Drainage needs a clean hand basin and shower took a while to empty .

• Reviewed: August 5, 2017

Was close to the venue where we needed to go!
    • Standard Quadruple Room

It was quite damp in the room which made it feel cold! Heatpump was good though :)

Was close to the venue where we needed to go! It was clean and tidy! Kid friendly :)

• Reviewed: June 14, 2017

Great Stay!
    • Studio Apartment

We had a great stay. It was only one night but our room had everything we needed for an awesome stay. Comfy beds, warm room, well equiped kitchen and bathroom. We really enjoyed our stay and would definitely stay there again next time.

• Reviewed: June 5, 2017

Good size room and good kitchen facilities, quiet and warm,...
    • Standard Quadruple Room

Some facilities need to be cleaned better e.g. toilet and bathroom basin. The inner duvet looked dirty and bed was not the most comfortable. While putting my son to bed I looked up and saw cobwebs on the picture frame.

Good size room and good kitchen facilities, quiet and warm, heat pump was good. Staff were friendly but I forgot to ask for the internet password which was needed when we got there at midnight by then the office was closed. Definitely value for money.

• Reviewed: May 17, 2017

I didn't require breakfast as I had taken my normal...
    • Queen Studio

I wasn't there to dislike anything or find fault. I knew I wasn't staying in five star accommodation.

I didn't require breakfast as I had taken my normal cereal. I chose Aztec for price and proximity to Palmerston Nirth hospital which I was able to walk to.

• Reviewed: May 8, 2017

A comfortable enough overnighter
    • Studio Apartment

Nothing much in the way of food available close to hand so have to be prepared beforehand or drive closer to the city to find a restaurant or good coffee.

It was easy to find, enough parking, pleasant staff/owner and comfortable. It's mid range comfort for lowish tariff. Kitchen fine and bed comfortable, so fine for overnighting

• Reviewed: May 6, 2017

Modern updated furniture and fittings.
    • Studio Apartment

Modern updated furniture and fittings. Clean well-kept property. Complimentary newspapers. Quiet despite nearby hospital, airport and railway.

• Reviewed: April 25, 2017

Friendly and Comfy
    • Queen Studio

Showers are a little old but still very functional and nice

A very tidy, warm and comfortable motel. The bed is amazing,, shower, Tv and kitchen facilities are fantastic. Parking options are ideal and the staff are friendly.

• Reviewed: April 3, 2017

Little thing to consider is to maybe put some lubrication on...
    • Studio

Little thing to consider is to maybe put some lubrication on ranchslider doors as every time the guest to the left (closest to office) of 17 went out it made a loud noise and woke us.

• Reviewed: March 27, 2017

You get what you pay for .....
    • Studio Apartment

The double bed was two single beds put together and you could feel the crease in between. The TV small and no sky yet had WIFI where you could log in own sky. It was packed and had a roudy lot of party goers who parked their cars where they wanted and were loud even though ended at 11pm which was ok. Still could hear people walking around all hours of night. I paid $115 which was exactly what you pay for....

• Reviewed: March 26, 2017

This is a great place to stay.
    • One-Bedroom Apartment

The Wi-Fi is not the best. Connection very slow and sometimes doesn't connect. Works then stops.

Such friendly and helpful staff/owners. Very comfortable and homely.

• Reviewed: March 23, 2017

Great stay👍
    • Studio Apartment

I stayed here last year with my wife and enjoyed our stay so much there was no other choice for my stay this time. It is quiet, even though it is opposite a busy hospital, comfortable, clean and well maintained. The owners a very pleasant and accommodating. I'll be staying here again next year when I need to return.

• Reviewed: March 20, 2017

Expected better for the price I paid!
    • Two-Bedroom Apartment

I've stayed in worse places but I was not happy staying here. Customer service was appalling, parking was a hassle. Noise from the construction site right next door.

The space we had for our 4 son's. Kids like the trampoline too.

• Reviewed: March 11, 2017

Our favourite motel in Palmerston
    • Studio Apartment

Second time we've stayed at Aztec and we drove away just as happy as the first time. Great value for money, the rooms are tidy modern and spacious, the pool and tramp are a major hit with the kids and the staff are friendly. I recommend this motel to all my friends. Wifi connection wasn't the greatest but that wasn't a major

• Reviewed: February 26, 2017

One bedroom room was nice and roomy - the TV was on a swivel...
    • One-Bedroom Apartment

shower door was sticking and pressure was not good

One bedroom room was nice and roomy - the TV was on a swivel arm which was great. Beds were comfortable. Even than they were on a busy road it was nice and quiet.

Beds were comfy.
    • Standard Quadruple Room

Cleanliness was not the best best, bed etc we're very clean but coffee stains on bench showed it hadn't been wiped down, plates had to be re washed before we could used them and marks on doors & walls in the bathroom area.

Beds were comfy.

• Reviewed: February 26, 2017

kitchen facitilites where great and supplying a portacot was...
    • Studio Apartment

Shower head could have been a lot better, needed to be bigger with more holes for the water to go through. Also updated menus from the restaurants around would be great!

kitchen facitilites where great and supplying a portacot was amazing Amazing of beds in the room 👌👍

• Reviewed: February 25, 2017

Good location and excellent accommodation

Coffee in room was terrible. But really a non issue. Will definitely stay again

Even tho it was fully booked the motel was quiet.Grounds and rooms were all keep very tidy

• Reviewed: February 3, 2017

Just needed a bed for the night
    • Queen Studio

Lots of cobwebs on the beams and light fittings.

The pillows were great, really comfy and while the mugs could have been bigger at least they were tea cups :).

• Reviewed: January 25, 2017

Close to softball venue
    • Studio Apartment

Smoking outside rooms as I'm asthmatic Should of been an area for smokers only Room was musty and black stuff falling from ceiling I did let owner know. Room was a bit expensive for 1 adult and 2kids

Close to softball venue Swimming pool Owners were friendly

• Reviewed: January 15, 2017

Excellent service 👍🏼
    • Standard Quadruple Room

The ventilation for the shower that is above the hand basin in bathroom had dropped some dirt over the basin that had obviously built up whilst the room had not been in use. I gave it a quick wipe down and it was clean 😊

Execellent service 👍🏼 Friendly and very accomodating 😊

• Reviewed: January 8, 2017

There was plenty of room for the family.
    • Two-Bedroom Apartment

The motel was great but the booking system was not - we booked for 2 adults and 2 children and the website said it was $155 for the family but when we got to the motel we had to pay an extra $30 for the children! Therefore not the cheapest as promised by the website

There was plenty of room for the family.

• Reviewed: January 8, 2017

comfortable beds good for a short stay with kids.
    • Standard Quadruple Room

When we got there there was a note on the door back in 15 minute's. There was no time for when 15 min started. We sat there for 30min.I had put on my booking check in between 2/3. Arrive at 215pm waited till 215pm. Phone the place no answer. Phoned booking.com who were great and very helpful and offered to phone the motel. Person answered for theme and said they would be 5min. We were in room 10. Was good nice and clean. Two singles and one double on one room do the kids felt safe and slept well. Bit close to a medium busy road. Good access to hospital if you need to stay somewhere while visiting someone in hospital. Not far from town.

Nice sized place for me and three kids. Great to have a pool and trampoline

• Reviewed: December 12, 2016

Booked at short notice and the room and staff were amazing. Would definitely stay there again!
    • Standard Quadruple Room

We could hear almost eveything the people next door were saying.

The pool was really clean and the staff were really friendly and helpful. The room had everything we needed for 1 nights stay. The beds had electric blankets and the room had air con/heat pump.

• Reviewed: December 9, 2016

Excellent facilities.
    • Standard Quadruple Room

Probably the earthquake but that had nothing to do with the motel.

Excellent facilities. Awesome shower. Quiet room. We know the building is sturdy as we stayed the night of the 7.5 earthquake that hit Kaikoura!

• Reviewed: November 21, 2016

Spacious and comfortable rooms
    • Studio

I had read that the staff were really friendly but did not especially find this to be true. Needed another blind on the front door

Really spacious room. Nice and quiet. Handy to shops and petrol station

• Reviewed: November 20, 2018

Many great stays
    • Studio

Always comfortable and clean and welcoming and in a good location not far from the airport.

• Reviewed: November 18, 2018

• Studio

Extremely quiet and clean, all in all really good value for money.

• Reviewed: November 14, 2018