Reviews of Base Rotorua 4 stars

#74 of 88 hotels in Rotorua

Based on 286 hostel reviews

5.5

• Double Room with Shared Bathroom

Free Wifi in all the rooms would have been the only improvement

The hot thermal pool was amazing, it was like being In a hot bath and during the cold winter months it’s just what you need. Staff were friendly and the double room with TV was great value for money.

• Double or Twin Room

The bed was a little bit worn to the springs, rest was great !!

I do a lot of traveling and the customer welcoming at Reception was outstanding!! The room was fantastic and the heated pools the cherry on the top !! This is the best deal I have had so far in my travels !! Brilliant !! Thanks a lot , will be back !!

• Double Room with Shared Bathroom

I liked absolutely NOTHING.

This place is absolutely DISGUSTING. Upon entering our room we quickly noticed the white sheets stained with yellow. We were horrified and look at the pillow case which was soiled in brown stains. There was a sign posted on the wall stating keep windows closed due to flies. To make matters worse their Air conditioner was weak. I couldn’t understand why the ratings on booking.com were so high and I realized it’s because this place is perfect for those on an extreme budget who just need a place to crash. It’s also for young and new party people. If you’re like me, need cleanliness, quietness and customer service, you should AVOID THIS PLACE at all cost.

• Bed in 4-Bed Dormitory Room with Private Bathroom

The room had a musty smell and we had to pay extra for internet access in our room. Kitchen can use some cleaning and update

The 3 of us stayed in a 4 bed with private bathroom. It was adequate space for us. And good value for money for a night's stay.

• Double or Twin Room

had issues sleeping the second night as there are a lot of bag packers partying late night and being noisy

got a good deal . total value for money . clean and spacious rooms .

• Bed in 10-Bed Mixed Dormitory Room

Beds were basic. I wish I could have been allowed to take a pic of a receptionist, the best looking girl on NZ

Warm swimming pool with beauties. Excellent stuff!

• Double Room with Shared Bathroom

place was old and cleaning weren’t great. My room had very old windows with cobwebs around and bathroom was old,which doesn’t help the eyes to judge a positive way. Price was expensive for the tipe of place. we have been a day after in another backpacker and was way more clean and cheaper than this one. That’s why i’m rating this, hope is going to help to improve. u

staff nice and avualable. Location great,

• Bed in 8-Bed Dormitory Room with Private Bathroom

Bedbugs! Got bitten all over my arms :( no alcohol policy, the Lava bar next to it is so loud at night till early morning hours that i couldnt sleep

Location - close to center

• Bed in 8-Bed Dormitory Room with Private Bathroom

Got bedbugs... they changed my room and washed all my clothes, but was still very annoying No place to charge electronic gear near the bed - only 4 places to charge in a 16 bed room Room wasn't very clean

Very helpful stay (specially Kelly) Location - near visitor info

• Bed in 4-Bed Dormitory Room with Private Bathroom

The kitchen need a microwave :-) . The curtain in the kitchen need replacing as it was tired and torn . Bed is Ok BUT ... do you evaluate this one too ... or how often ? I think the Base have to review this . And that horrible parking area not so much space to move !!! If you come in late at night and in the rain ... you better start praying that you do not hit another parked car !!!

The location was great . We have a peaceful/ quite night - we really have a good sleep ( thanks that noone have used the pool , it's just outside our room :-) ) . Very helpful staff especially who attended us that afternoon as there was a mistake ( on my side :-( ) on double booking ... bleeeh !!!

• Single Bed in Female Dormitory Room

The common areas need a face lift, the kitchen stoves didn’t work well, the kitchen was messy, could be better organized. Wi-fi only by the reception and they turned it off at 7 pm, if you wanted to use it in the dorm or after 7 you had to buy wi-fi.

Big hostel w a pool. Close to the center. Free parking. Stayed in the 6-bed female dorm with ensuite toilet and shower. Clean, modern room with balcony. Helpful staff booked tours etc.

• Bed in 4-Bed Dormitory Room with Private Bathroom

There's a bar nearby. And we couldn't really close the door from the terrace because it was hot. Good thing once I catch my sleep, I could sleep through all those noise, I just wasn't sure about my friends. Ear plugs would be handy.

There's a pool! (didn't use it though)

• Double Room with Shared Bathroom

Base cleaninc should Be done in bathrooms and toilets. Absolutisti! Our room was located in the fourth floor and it was really peaceful, but... with luggages... we didnt have too much with us, but it would maybe be Nice to know when booking...

Good location, reasonable price.

• Bed in 8-Bed Dormitory Room with Private Bathroom

Very noisy as the bar was right underneath and across the road was live music both nights we stayed. The rooms were far too hot.

Comfortable beds and clean bathroom.

• Double Room with Shared Bathroom

stayed in private room, was away from the main area nice and quiet. paid for wifi as it was only free in communal areas. the wifi i paid for was good.

• Double Room with Shared Bathroom

Customer Service, Uncleaned rooms and toilets, a noisy lodger all around, Etc. Absolutely no money value !

Except uncleaned things, there was nothing to my liking.

• Double or Twin Room

The WIFi was only turned on between mornings and evenings and shut down at night.

It’s perfectly located. Big rooms with own bathroom. Very clean. The room was even equipped with a small kitchen however without oven etc.

• Bed in 4-Bed Dormitory Room with Private Bathroom

Really need upgrading in common toilets and kitchen equipments and facilities. Free Wifi only works around the reception area however I was able to buy unlimited wifi for an extra charge.

Friendly staff and great location close to the town. Walking distance to many restaurants and supermarket. Tours can be arranged through the reception. Rooms are clean. Highly recommend booking a 4 beds room.

• Double or Twin Room

The room had a lot of facilities but at very low quality. Very outdated and dark. You could also hear the lava bar next door till early hours in the morning which kept me up. The faulty fire alarm also woke everyone up at 3am.

I loved that our room was Ensuit, had a little kitchen area and a little garden area with table and chairs. The outdoor pool was also a bonus.

• Bed in 4-Bed Dormitory Room with Private Bathroom

Noise from the bar / club right next to the hostel went on to about 3am each night. Wifi was ok but turned off at 9pm each night

Good sized 4 bed dorm with separate toilet and shower which was all nice and clean. Fairly big kitchen but rubbish toasters! 10 min walk into the main centre with shops and restaurants and only 5 mins to the park with geothermal pools.

• Double Room with Shared Bathroom

receptionist couldnt guide us spontaneously but always looked for computer help and she was too slow and talkative unnecessarily wasting our time

close to park

• Double or Twin Room

Very very noisy and loud because of the bar/club beside the motel. you can hear all the screaming, the loud music, the car passing by, the cussing and the shouting of the people outside. The area is a good deal for people traveling who wants to have a night out and no need to drive after but not comfortable for people who wants to have a good sleep and not suitable for children because of the noise. Thanks for the earplugs given by the staff but it was very uncomfortable to have our ears earplugged just to be able to sleep.

the room was clean, the location was nice.

• Bed in 4-Bed Dormitory Room with Private Bathroom

I have booked a 4-bed dormitory room with a bathroom and I was really surprised, that the room was very huge with a balcony and nice view too! There was a TV in the room too! Bed was very comfy. Staff was very nice, very friendly and helpful! There is a spa, which you can use free of charge.

• Bed in 4-Bed Dormitory Room with Private Bathroom

free wifi didn't reach the room.

Good location, comfy beds and nice rooms with a balcony in the 4 bed ensuite room. It was very loud with noise from the bar in our room, but that is to be expected on a weekend. We also had a tv in our room but no remote, wasnte really an issue as we were ony sleeping there before our rafting trip. Pretty good prices for the stay and the receptionist was ovely.

• Bed in 8-Bed Dormitory Room with Private Bathroom

All reception staff was very good and helpful.my friend stayed first time ever stayed in hostel because of only my stay and it was a wonderful experience for him..He really liked the hostel and the staff hospitality as well

• Bed in 4-Bed Dormitory Room with Private Bathroom

Would have loved towel, soap and free wifi to be included in the price

Making bookings was super easy, good way to compare options. Staff was super friendly and helpful. Accomodation was close to everything and cheap. Loved the pool!

• Double Room with Shared Bathroom

No free wifi and car park was a bit tricky to get into in our big van.

We checked in extremely late (2am) and the lady at the front desk was very accomodating. The room was great for a backpackers, the bed comfortable and clean! Showers were reasonably clean as well - shared!

• Double Room with Shared Bathroom

The lady on reception here is an asset to the hostel and company! One of the most friendliest and caring receptionists I have met on all my travels. She was super helpful and friendly. This hostel has a heated pool, private rooms have TV's and free Tea&Coffee, car park, a pub/restaurant opposite and close to town. Well worth the stay if you are passing through. I left my trainers here on check out and the hostel contacted me to tell me I had left them and arranged for them to get sent to me, this was a lovely touch and very honest thing to do.

• Bed in 4-Bed Dormitory Room with Private Bathroom

Bed was really uncomfortable - I sunk into the middle of it. Couldn't climb onto the top bunk easily as the ladder part of the bed was against the wall!

Friendly staff.

• Reviewed: 9 February 2017

• Bed in 4-Bed Dormitory Room with Private Bathroom

There is very little scope to that !! Wifi -- definitely needs to be better was horribly slow. My net connection on phone was faster allowing me to book tickets. That's all

Well I like the SMILE of the people So much empathy, love and care .wow Thank you Jules who checked me in with the intern she was superb and so nice and polite with loads of patience. Next day Ian - fantastic gentleman Acts as per situation demands and very quick to respond. Does things out of his way to make the life for the travelers and stuffed with information. The gentleman in the night shift as well was very helpful as my friend was coming in late and he did his best to help me out. Also , room was very clean Felt very higenic -- far better then Base Auckland and so nice and fresh Bathrooms were spotless and fresh too Kiddos to house keeping team Nice and basic kitchen The bar next to the backpackers was really happening with good vibe and music. Lovely location as well Amazing value for money

• Reviewed: 27 January 2017

• Bed in 8-Bed Dormitory Room with Private Bathroom

The temperature of the outdoor hot pool onsite was too hot the first day we arrived but was monitored the second day and people able to swim the third day. Unfortunately this was the day we left..

The ability to book all attractions. The local knowledge and expertise of the staff. The bar next door being just as warm and welcoming and our bands that got us discounts and entry. Really cool. General feel of the whole place. And the bikes for hire were awesome.

• Reviewed: 24 January 2017

Internet is from 7 am to 9pm only. We were not informed about this. When asked,we were shown the small print on the notice. There should be a place for residents to congregate - the table and chairs in the kitchen were filled with residents who just sat there chatting - leaving no chairs for those who wanted to eat their dinner. Towels are not provided.

The kitchen is well equipped.The 4-bed room is clean and spacious with attached bathroom.

• Reviewed: 23 January 2017

• Single Bed in Female Dormitory Room

We booked this room for our "adopted daughter" - our daughters best friend - so that we could share time in Rotorua. She loved it. Booked as a single bed in an 8 bed room she had the place to herself on the first night and shared with two Swiss girls on the second. With a private bathroom , comfortable beds and good cleanliness it was great value. Addditionally the pub next door , operated by the hostel , was a great meeting place , served cheap beer and a daily $5 dinner. Perfect for travellers on a budget.

• Reviewed: 23 January 2017

• Double or Twin Room

The walls on the shower were peeling off. The bathroom clearly had not been updated recently. The wifi did not work after 7pm unless you paid for it.

We had a large private room and bathroom. It also came with a mini fridge and stove.

• Reviewed: 20 January 2017

• Bed in 4-Bed Dormitory Room with Private Bathroom

The kitchen was too small for all the people, no ovens, also hardly anyone cleaned up after themselves, although not what the staff can do about this maybe use the cctv and fine the culprits haha.

We got a double bed in a 4 bed dorm which was good. The room itself was spacious and the hostel location is ideal, we rented some bikes to explore further which was nice.

• Double Room with Shared Bathroom

That we couldn't stay longer. 😃

Everything....staff were awesome and very accomodating. Facilities were all we needed and then some. Value for money plus....and great location.

• Reviewed: 30 December 2016

• Bed in 8-Bed Dormitory Room with Private Bathroom

Free wifi only at the reception and 1st floor, we had to pay for wifi in the room Window was broken and there were no curtain so we could hear the bad noise even more than usually. Neighboors had a party on the balcony next to our room until 1.30am Lava bar is really noisy and not only during the week end, even during the week and until 2-3am A man Check in at 11pm whereas we were all sleeping We really had a bad journey in that backpacker and it was quite dirty. Lot of those stuffs were not mentionned on the website and the staff didn't want to do anything. We won't come back to Base backpacker !

The swimming pool was nice

• Reviewed: 29 December 2016

• Double Room with Shared Bathroom

However, I've never stayed at such a dirty, loud hostel during my time traveling New Zealand and Australia. Room wasn't clean and neither was the shared bathrooms. The other guests weren't considerate that others were sharing these common areas. To top it off we were woken up at 5am to drunk people stumbling down the hall making a bunch of noise, tired to get into our room and then once in their room blasted loud music and having sex until 6am, then left once everyone was awake and knocking on their door asking them to quite down. This is the second Base I've had issues with, dong recommend them, much better hostels out there for the money! Staff did refund us our money because of the hassle but would have much rather not had to have moved rooms.

The property location we nice, within walking distance from the lake and good places to eat.

• Reviewed: 14 December 2016

• Bed in 8-Bed Dormitory Room with Private Bathroom

The wifi didn't work in the room and the bed was not that comfortable. The areas you could hang around before check in or after check out were pretty wasted and not really inviting. Would be alright if the hostel would be cheaper but I already went to cheaper ones with better rooms, free working wifi and big kitchens and lounges to have a good time!

We had a balcony which was good to put some washing outside!

• Reviewed: 11 December 2016

• Bed in 4-Bed Dormitory Room with Private Bathroom

The hot tub wasn't hot one night and the beds are creaky, but that's how metal beds are.

close to everything I needed it to be. Plus free parking. Also the staff was wonderful. Especially, Pauline. Pauline, when you do start to travel south island is amazing its worth the money to go.

• Reviewed: 9 December 2016

• Bed in 10-Bed Mixed Dormitory Room

The WiFi is ONLY for free until 19:00, is only available at the reception and common room and suuuper slow! For the fast wifi available in the rooms you have to pay. That is quiet a downside since I mainly booked this Hostel for the fast amd free wifi...

Big rooms with enough lockers for everyone. Very friendly people! Free snack available in the Lavabar between 19:00 and 20:00

• Reviewed: 27 October 2016

• Double or Twin Room

The extremely loud super bass coming from the adjacent Lava Bar until 2.30 am prevented us from sleeping, coming straight through the block walls of Room 1. We had to shift to a distant and inferior room. Moral: don't book a room close to the bar on Friday and Saturday nights. Several items in the rooms need maintenance, and indeed much of the establishment needs a makeover (except for the marvellous staff).

The wonderful staff and their help in our problems. The kitchen was very good.

• Reviewed: 3 October 2016

• Double Room with Shared Bathroom

Facilities (showers, beds) could do with an upgrade.

Receptionist Payton was fantastic. Professional,friendly. Made my stay as a solo traveller great! Loved my time at Base!

• Reviewed: 25 July 2016

Nil

Loved everything about the stay and getting to know the tourist from other countries and their interest. Staff members are "OFF THE CHAIN" and I honestly would recommend this as the number one accommodation in Rotorua!!!...

• Reviewed: 30 June 2016

• Single Bed in Female Dormitory Room

As there were no privacy curtains on the bunk beds for privacy or darkness, it was hard to fall alseep sometimes when other girls had their reading light on.

Great location with only a 5 minute walk to the information centre. The hostel was also next to lava bar which had great food. The females sanctuary room had a balcony, private toilet and private bathroom which was great.

• Bed in 8-Bed Dormitory Room with Private Bathroom

The pillows were paper thin The rooms we way too hot and you couldn’t turn the heater down or off

• Bed in 10-Bed Mixed Dormitory Room

There nothing I dislike about it trufully

Close to cod bar next door with eating arrangements over all good place to be

• Double Room with Shared Bathroom

Clean, friendly staff. Pretty close to the cbd.

Bathroom

Beds we a little creeky

Staff was excellent

• Bed in 8-Bed Dormitory Room with Private Bathroom

Great location for kiwi experience

Close to lava bar haha

Close to lava bar

The kitchen

The staff

• Double or Twin Room

Double- mattress had springs prodding you in some areas. Bathroom needed repainting

We stayed in a family room, which was clean and tidy.

• Bed in 10-Bed Mixed Dormitory Room

Kitchen too small and too dirty. Did not like cooking or being in that space.

Good location.

• Bed in 8-Bed Dormitory Room with Private Bathroom

There were no air conditioning nor even fans, it was so hot in night and we cound not sleep properly.

• Double or Twin Room

Could be noisy in the night cuz the lava bar is just beside the hotel

great location

• Double Room with Shared Bathroom

The cleanliness was pretty poor, in communal areas, cleaners didn't touch my room once

Staff were friendly

shower was moldy

very handy location

• Single Bed in Female Dormitory Room

Staff were really helpful and even people I shared the room with

• Bed in 4-Bed Dormitory Room with Private Bathroom

Bar was very loud when trying to sleep!

Very friendly staff and helpful! Room was nice. Ideal location.

• Double Room with Shared Bathroom

It just wasn't the right setting for us.

It was fine for whom it was intended--backpackers. We just weren't.

• Double or Twin Room

Can be nosy at night, I had an early start, not much sleep.

Location to town and value for money

• Single Bed in Female Dormitory Room

Male bar man was very rude so didn’t go back

The reception staff were friendly and knowledgeable. The bar next door food was ok.

• Double Room with Shared Bathroom

cleanliness of the room and facilities

• Bed in 4-Bed Dormitory Room with Private Bathroom

Parking was not that secure

Cleanliness and bed

• Double Room with Shared Bathroom

Very noisy, a party house, small room,

• Double or Twin Room

That we couldn't stay longer!

Great location! Awesome staff! Loved the poolside room to ourselves! Very spacious, we will be back!

• Bed in 4-Bed Dormitory Room with Private Bathroom

Friendly Staff, smooth check in and decent facilities

• Single Bed in Female Dormitory Room

Accommodation given was not what I booked on line, wifi doesn’t work, not clean

-Great location -Good Service

• Bed in 8-Bed Dormitory Room with Private Bathroom

Beds which created, dirty toilet and mould in the shower

I liked the lava bar; one staff member, in particular. Food was average, though

• Double or Twin Room

It cost NZ$4 extra to have wifi in our room.

Spacious room with private entrance to the swimming pool.

• Bed in 8-Bed Dormitory Room with Private Bathroom

Friendly... welcoming and efficient. Just as awesome as the first time and we WILL be back 😃

Browse Base Rotorua traveller photo gallery