Reviews of Base Wellington 4.5 stars

#48 of 54 hotels in Wellington

Based on 569 hostel reviews

4.3

• Bed in 4-Bed Female Dormitory Room

Unfortunately there is a nightclub across the road which I could hear the music super loudly. so I put earplugs in which resulted in me missing my alarm and therefore missing my flight. So be cautious of which day you will be staying as may be club nights.

The rooms were a nice size and everything was easily accessible. The staff were super lovely and so helpful during my short stay

• Bed in 4-Bed Female Dormitory Room

Hi base: For two nights plus two days of parking, total payment should be 162. But you charge me 179.4, I already told the reception when I leave, reception said you will return the money back to my account, but until now I didn’t received any message .please return the money and reply my mail as soon as possible thank you.

• Bed in 4-Bed Dormitory Room

Big queue due to tour bus arriving at same time (nothing can do about that tho) Mattress was a bit thin, could feel bed frame under

Clean, tidy, easy to book

• Bed in 6-Bed Dormitory Room

The rooms can use an update. And the kitchen mostly is a mess, but that is the family of the backpackers, not the hostel.

Bathroom was neat Enigheid spaces to hang around

• Bed in 6-Bed Dormitory Room

Shower in the morning for hot water as they are quite cold in the evening, kitchen could have been cleaned and tidied more regularly

Rooms are a good size, cleaned regularly. Bathrooms are also clean.

• Bed in 6-Bed Dormitory Room

Tedious check in process- staff wouldn't let us check in until we downloaded an app on our phones using our own internet. When we asked if there was an alternate way to check in the staff member said there was but it was a longer process for her entering in the information and only then offered us the iPad behind the counter which already had the app downloaded on it. The process was very lengthy and cumbersome and was not a great start to the stay. Additionally the showers were only ever cold every time we tried to use them.

Fairly clean. Big common areas

• Bed in 6-Bed Dormitory Room

Check in was really slow and staff didn't acknowledge or apologise for the wait time at all.

Closeness to the CBD, cleanliness particularly of the showers

• Bed in 4-Bed Dormitory Room

The checkin took AGES. Also, my booking.com reservation "did not come through", so it seemed a bit probelmatic to get a bed in the booked out hostel. I got a bed, just had to change rooms. But even if you had no issues like this, checkin took sooo much time. I had to wait a LOT for people to be checked in in front of me in the line too. The lack of free wifi in the rooms, and no free wifi in the evening is very unconfortable. If you are willing to pay for wifi, then the hostel is already more expensive than YHA, which is a nicer hostel with free wifi.

The bed was comfortable, and the room had a very nich view to both the harbour and the city. The location is good.

• Bed in 6-Bed Dormitory Room

The Hostel is a Party Hostel. Everyday from 9am to 9pm continuously music. It´s really noisy all the days...really unhealthy. But for 1 or 2 nights a really good one.

The Stuff is really nice and friendly. The hostel is really clean.

• Bed in 4-Bed Dormitory Room with Private Bathroom

They blare loud music in the hallways by all the rooms, you can hear it in the rooms, in bed, in the shower... WHY?? After three days of being woken up by the fratellis and having losing my religion permanently stuck in my head I was going insane and moved to the YHA hostel round the block which is GREAT! Yeah, I don't get it.... Would have been fine otherwise.

Beds were comfy, it's clean, 4 bed dorm was relatively cheap, good location

• Double Room with Bathroom

Too expensive for private room no hot Water!! Ridiculous! I had seen other comments about this -the response was problem had been fixed.....no it’s not fixed & considering the price completely unacceptable - staff not too interested in complaint Too noisy - unless your bedtime is 4:00 a.m. - take earplugs!! The location is great for city sights, but my room overlooked the loudest stretch of bars/pubs in the city. Impossible to sleep

location very good for seeing city

• Bed in 4-Bed Dormitory Room

The ladders for both bunk were pressed against the wall and unable to be used. The bed was so uncomfortable that when I slept on my side my hip bone would hurt. There was stains all over the floor and drapes of the room. Mold on the ceiling. Could hear everything in the hallway, which sucked when the drunk people came back at 1-3.

Not really anything I couldn’t wait to get out of there

• Bed in 6-Bed Dormitory Room

Our room was unbearably hot! We couldn't open any of the windows and there was no AC or fans to help cool the room. We asked to move to a cooler room the next day (where you could actually open the window...) and that was all good. Thanks to the staff for helping with this!

Great location. Helpful staff. Comfy beds. Fun bar downstairs

• Double Room with Bathroom

The ensuite shower for our room failed to provide sufficient hot water; at best we got a lukewarm dribble of water after having the tap turned on for 10 mins. There was a sign in the room dating there was a problem with water. However, this problem was not fixed for the 5 nights we stayed there.

We liked the location, room size, comfortable bed, views

• Bed in 4-Bed Dormitory Room

Had to pay for things that are usually free at other hostels : breakfast, luggage storage, Wi-Fi (free until 7pm but in lobby only)

It was clean and quiet in the dorm room I was in. Female bathroom on 6th floor was really clean.

• Double Room with Bathroom

Minor fixable things - Window curtains did not cover windows if your watching tele, so to cover windows you can't watch tell. Only 1 chair for a double room.

Location location location.. staff were great, everything we needed were close by.. 😊

• Bed in 6-Bed Dormitory Room

Was a cool cramped room. Zero hot water; on check out I was told they had problems with it the last few days but never thought to tell me on check in. Really disappointed but at least I didn't pay full price otherwise it would not have been worth it.

Was clean and close to town

• Bed in 6-Bed Dormitory Room

Room 307 did not have a window which meant no ventilation, room was a sauna! Staff at recepton need more training from management as they didn't have clue how to book this and that! In the end i had to do it myself!

Nice area

• Bed in 6-Bed Dormitory Room

The noise from the basement, loud music until 2-3am . The window were open as there was no air conditioning as it was so hot. It was uncomfortable

The room was clean. I was on the 7th floor

• Double Room with Bathroom

was $20 more than price quoted when I booked, no aircon and was hot and airless throughout building-especially room, was noisy, lamp didnt work, no hot water in shower the night i checked in, luke warm in morning, tiny tv that gets covered if you wanted to close curtains, toilet roll holder fell off.

comfortable bed

• Bed in 6-Bed Dormitory Room

We stayed two nights and they wanted to put us in a different room the second night. We told them no and then after a long time they could finally manage it to keep us in the room. My bedsheet had white spots on in, so discusting. When I went back to reception I got a clean one, but it should have been clean in the first place.

We had a window in our room, so our room wasn't too hot

• Bed in 6-Bed Dormitory Room

Bathrooms were not kept clean. Windows could not be opened and there was no aircon or ventilation... led to a very hot room which was hard to sleep in

• Double Room with Bathroom

The Tipi process wasn’t explained to us and we were given no help to check in. Our double room did not provide everything that was listed on our booking form (e.g. ironing facilities)

• Bed in 6-Bed Dormitory Room

It was quite warm so had to sleep with the windows open, which meant we had to hear the dull thumping bass from the nearby bars and their drunken revellers.

Great location, 2 minutes from a supermarket, bars, restaurants, cinema, public transport etc. Big kitchen, clean rooms, the free meal.

• Bed in 6-Bed Dormitory Room

Well the staff was not always the nicest, but since they change quite often that shouldn't stop you from staying at this hostel!

The cleanness of the facilities was awesome and the location couldn't have been any better!

• Bed in 6-Bed Dormitory Room

WiFi access was the biggest issue—had a lot of difficulty getting online. Didn’t like the mobile check-in process; found it to be cumbersome and an added burden as a traveler.

Very clean, thank you! Staff was super helpful and friendly. Facilities overall were excellent. Kitchen was very clean. Also appreciated the quiet. Main entrance/lobby atmosphere and music was cool.

• Bed in 6-Bed Dormitory Room

The room was a big mess, there were clothes everywhere (even on top of our beds) from people that wasn't sleeping there anymore and when I told the receptionist she didn't care too much. I reserved a car parking spot for 15 dollars and when I got back from dinner at night there was a car in my place and I had to park in a prohibited area all night because they couldn't locate the owner (They took responsibility for my car, which was good - the late night staff was nice). The wifi only works for free from 7am-7pm in the reception area.

The location is very good and it is cheap, but maybe not value for money.

• Bed in 4-Bed Female Dormitory Room

New check in process, took almost 1 hr to check in, you must have the "tipi" app, quite noisy at times (music from courtenay place at midnight)

Bed was comfortable, nice central location. Clean bathrooms

Everything was good.

Nice and helpfull staff. Clean and comfy hostel. Very well located:close to supermarket, restaurants, clubs and can go walking to museum. Friendly bar in the basement.

• Bed in 4-Bed Dormitory Room with Private Bathroom

The staff was more interested in their Facebook feed than answering questions from customers. Slow wifi and only works in limited time and in the lobby. The kitchen area was unbelievably disgusting! The sink was rarely cleaned. The fridges were dripping water and wasn’t cleaned thoroughly by the staff. Would not come back again.

• Double Room with Bathroom

we took 1 hour in the queue to do the check in - very unorganized place. Only one ipad and one iphone to more than 40 people do the check in. The most expansive rate for a double bedroom.

The view of the bedroom

• Bed in 4-Bed Dormitory Room

Very pleasant and helpful staff. Dorms, beds and bathrooms were clean and tidy. Very good location from the bars, New World Supermarket and Basin Reserve cricket ground - all within a 5 minute walk. The basement bar was a good place to get a jar of ale.

• Double Room with Bathroom

Nothing to complain. Breakfast with three dollars was very good. Free wifi was from 7 to 7. Should have it for 24 hours.

Staff very helpful. Reception staff Charlotte was very very helpful to all our questions. Room was very clean and comfortable.

• Bed in 6-Bed Dormitory Room

I had to wait 75 (!) minutes at the reception to check-in, and they forced me to download some tipi app and upload a photo of my passport in this cranky app. The girls I was traveling with, also booked 2 nights, but they had to check out at 10 AM and check back in at 3 PM, 'cause Base messed up the bookings. I would recommend another place.

• Bed in 4-Bed Female Dormitory Room

The parking spaces were limited

The bed was clean and comfortable. The staff was helpful. Since the building is quite noisy at night, they provide us with ear plugs, which is quite helpful to sleep at night

• Double Room with Bathroom

New tipi booking in process, makes it hard work that everyone in the party has to download the app to check in. Stayed in a double room with bathroom and shower was cold in the morning

Situated in perfect place

• Bed in 4-Bed Dormitory Room

Clean staff threw away/misplaced/disappeared some of my clothes (t-shirt, belt and thongs) that were on or next to my bed.

Room and bathrooms were clean.

• Bed in 4-Bed Female Dormitory Room

The mattresses were unreasonably uncomfortable, it was very noisy from both sound in the corridors, squeaky bed frames and general city sound.

Dorms were very clean, great view from the 7th floor, spacious bathroom with PLENTY OF HOOKS and provided clean soft towels and soap and linen.

• Double Room with Bathroom

Being told there was no room for us because their system had been down and the rooms had all been taken. after half an hour including staff talking to manager they did find a room instead of the dorm they suggested we use. Not sure whose room we took but being told no bed after 4 times confirming accommodation booking earlier in the week was not pleasant at 10 pm at night. We had been told no problem with late checkin.

Location to the bus to the airport

• Double Room with Bathroom

a bit more color in the Eating (Kitchen and Dinning area) area, Jazzs it up a bit more, Maybe a bit more info of what is in your building,

Mainly use the Base Eat and Sleep due to the length of stay, checked out of what the Base had to offer, the Bar down stairs, also distance to the shops (New World), good to see that the car park was just out side the Back door.

• Bed in 6-Bed Dormitory Room

The bunk beds are really noisy. If that's the only thing I can think of then it's an excellent location.

The location was perfect. The Basement Bar was a great addition that made it easy to meet people.

• Bed in 4-Bed Dormitory Room with Private Bathroom

Over crowded. If you are looking for a nice friendly place this is not the place for you. Hot shower was not working. You have to pay for internet.

Location was good. supermarket and restaurants nearby. Clean and Tidy.

• Double Room with Bathroom

The heater didn't seem to work, however it may have been central heating. It wasn't winter, but nevertheless I was a little cold so the heater would have made my stay perfect. Overall Wellington seemed to be an expensive place to visit in terms of accommodation costs, so I chose a backpackers purely to save some $$, I was surprised how expensive it was still...but I did have the luxury of a private room.

It was nice to be able to get a private room at a backpackers. Friendly staff.

• Bed in 4-Bed Dormitory Room

Toilets were clean but could do one level up and the place would be perfect.

Great place, value for money if your looking for a place to stay a few nights and move one, great location, Airport bus stops just by the corner, would stay again.

• Bed in 4-Bed Dormitory Room

The fact that the lift beeped at me every time I walked in - although it did make me use the stairs more lol

Okay so The Base is a little worn, but if you can overlook a couple of scuff marks and peeling paint this is an awesome place to stay. The staff are warm, friendly and very helpful, the dorm was warm and clean, fresh linen and the communal bathroom was cleaned three times a day so always looking fresh! We loved how close it was to the night life on Courtenay Place and ease of getting on a bus to travel out of the CBD. We didn't use the kitchen but it was always clean and tidy We would highly recommend the Base if you are a small group travelling to Wellington and wanting to stay together.

• Double Room with Bathroom

the noise lots of noise from young guest and the music was too loud in the hallway

We were expecting a room for three My wife and myself and our teenage daughter. but on arrival, there was only a double room. The staff member organized another room at a reduced rate, and then, later on, requested us to pay more which we felt obliged to pay so we just paid. I think this was with "booking.com" I entered all three of us and looked at the rooms and rates and booked them online.

• Bed in 6-Bed Dormitory Room

Not enough electricity plugs, very big and impersonal feel. The parking was full when I stayed (which is the only reason I booked with them to begin with). I ended up parking in a parking lot in the area and it ended up being cheaper than the overpriced price they charge for their parking.

Location, clean

• Bed in 6-Bed Dormitory Room

The room smelled and you could not open any windows, not enough plugs to charged not even a phone and the kitchen was really small for so many people.

Location is perfect, right in the center.

• Bed in 6-Bed Dormitory Room

There was no plugs by each bed. Limited wifi, and when there was wifi it was very poor. The shower was either too hot or too cold, there was no happy medium

Comfy bed

• Double Room with Bathroom

Awful noise from the wind. The building has some specific outside construction which creates terrible sound even if the wind is not too strong.

Perfect location in the center of the city. Good value for money.

• Bed in 4-Bed Dormitory Room with Private Bathroom

I booked it because it had parking as a feature but when I got there apparently the parking spaces were all booked for days so I had to drive around for ages and then park my car elsewhere in a paid parking building for two days

Location and staff are amazing

• Bed in 4-Bed Female Dormitory Room

Localisation of the hostel is a great plus, everything you need is in a walking distance. Also, the toilets are really clean and, if you'd like to meet new ppl, there's a bar downstairs with some events every day. Wifi, even though you have to pay for it ($4/24h or 12$/3d) works on every floor.

• Double Room with Bathroom

The staff were great! The bar was fantastic great place to hang out and meet people. Very clean and plenty information in the relaxing lounge area!

• Double Room with Bathroom

-Lived on 8th floor, elevator only goes to 7th - Expensive Hostel, nevertheless you have to pay extra for Wifi (4 NZD), breakfast (5 NZD) and parking space (15 NZD). After all free Wifi in the Lobby from 7am to 7pm.

Liked the view from the 8th floor. Very comfy bed, nice bar in the basement. Many shops, restaurants and bars near the hostel. A good place to start a long party night.

• Bed in 6-Bed Dormitory Room

The free Wifi promised to us as a reward for being Genius members on Booking.com was refused. They informed us that they do not give free Wifi regardless of what is says on our booking. They do however have free Wifi in reception for anyone staying at Base from 7:00 - 19:00 every day which is great but we assumed that as a Genius reward we would be granted the unlimited wifi that you normally have to pay for out-with these times. The beds in the rooms are in need of replacing/tightening up. They are metal frames and very noisy. Turning in your sleep not only wakes yourself up but also the unhappy travellers sharing your room. Buy earplugs! The "continental breakfast for $5" is actually just toast and cereal, standard hostel breakfast, which is normally fine, but as we were expecting "continental" we were a bit disappointed to be croissant-less!

Easy access from the airport to the centre of Wellington, were Base is. The rooms are clean and have enough plugs to charge your electronic devices, we stayed in an 6 bedroom dormitory. There is enough space to cook and eat your own meals in the kitchen. If you just want to stay for a couple night it's ok but nothing special.

• Double Room with Bathroom

Staff were wonderful. We had a private double ensuite room on the top floor. Great view, great place. 24hour access, right in the entertainment hub of wellington. Fantastic. The only gripe is the shower was almost unusable due to poor water pressure and the hot water temperature constantly changing. The room was on the top floor.

• Bed in 6-Bed Dormitory Room

Parking in a car park behind the property is quite expensive and you need to be up early to refresh your ticket, the parking warden first visited at 8.00 am

It provides everything you would expect from a hostel.

• Reviewed: 23 June 2017

• Double Room with Bathroom

Staff were slightly rude and unhelpful at check-in and you can't check in any earlier than 2pm (we arrived at 1pm) to our private room, so no discretion there. On check out at 10am we were told we could not leave a few of our bags in the hostel while we waited for our taxi to the airport at 2pm because we were not re- checking into another room there ?! All the hotels I've ever stayed in provide this facility to guests so don't understand why a 'traveler friendly' hostel would not! Bed on wheels with no brakes so couldn't even sit down without it moving around.

Lovely view from room and relatively clean.

• Reviewed: 15 June 2017

• Double Room with Bathroom

Cover on bed was dirty, no tv remote (which meant TV couldnt be turned on), free wifi only available at certain times of day which seemed pretty pathetic.

Good location.

• Bed in 6-Bed Dormitory Room

Quite a few stove weren't working and it doesnt seem like they're doing anything about it. I understand they do cleaning during non-peak hours but its extremely rude and unhygienic to spray the sanitiser on the same table while i was having my meal. They could have done it better by spraying it onto the cloth and wiping the table. Pillows are extremely flat. There is no soundproof at all, i can hear people walking up and down the corridor, the conversation going on next door and misbehaving guests knocking on the door extremely loud early in the morning for god knows what reason. I didnt have good sleep during my stay.

• Reviewed: 10 June 2017

• Bed in 4-Bed Dormitory Room

The lifts were a little scary but that's to be expected in a building of that age.

The views were spectacular and very close to the heart of the CBD

• Bed in 4-Bed Female Dormitory Room

The kitchen only two old big fridge and smell terrible. I was at 7th floor 708 room, every morning I shut down the heater and open the window, but a terrible fried fish smell came into the room. Chinese restaurant at the street.

Bathroom super clean.

• Double Room with Bathroom

Tried to make sure I could get parking, had no reply, tried to call with no answer, sent an email to cancel the booking because I did not want to take the risk of not being able to park only to be told I would not get a refund - funny how I get a reply when I want to cancel but not when requiring information - terrible service!

• Double Room with Bathroom

the walls are to thin, you can hear everything and i mean everything in the next room which means they could also hear me.

great place to stay but a few changes make it awesome.

• Reviewed: 19 May 2017

• Bed in 4-Bed Dormitory Room

Same issue with ever Base hostel; no real internet unless its paid for. Rooms and general decor are very tired/carpets frayed. Cheap and cheesy bar underneath wacking out lots of noise until 4am. Draws under bed just take up room, dont hold much or a purpose. Found it very hard to sleep here.

A Lift!!! Which is a rarety in most hostels! Reception staff were lovely. Good selection on the TV. Reception and ground floor is a really nice area. Kitchen not over crouded. Large comunual area could do with more social seating, looks more like a school canteen. I also had a room with great views here!!

• Reviewed: 17 May 2017

• Double Room with Bathroom

Thin wall..can hear nx door speak or shut the door loudly, no free wifi,no free parking.

Friendly and helpful staff,room with the view, comfortable bed, clean bathroom & kitchen.

• Bed in 4-Bed Dormitory Room with Private Bathroom

Feeling welcome at the reception? No! Hurry to check in and no room for conversation or questions without feeling rushed and in the way. The kitchen was VERY small, not well equipped at all and very dirty!!! I've seen much smaller hostels with bigger kitchens and a lot more equipment for cooking. There was no room left in the fridge or on the shelves to put foodbags on and there was no freezer. Don't stay here if you would like to get some sleep, there was a lot of noise, mostly loud music (from the streets?) and I stayed on the 6th floor... In the morning checking out, I was send back upstairs to get my pillow case for laundry. Well, I sure do hope they wash the sheets too...

It was close to the ferry where I had to be at 7am the next morning.

• Reviewed: 13 May 2017

• Double Room with Bathroom

We guess this hostel is only for students, as there was awfull smell of sweat and alcohol everywhere. In the room there were no fridge, wardrobe and bathroom with mold.

In the city centre

• Reviewed: 11 May 2017

• Double Room with Bathroom

You have to walk up stairs to get to the top level. There was a high pitched whistle from the wind coming through the windows all night which made it difficult to sleep well. The shower didn't stay hot long enough, became cold at times.

the bed was Comfortable and the view was nice.

• Bed in 4-Bed Female Dormitory Room

Some of my bath stuff which I left in da bathroom were missing on da next dat... did not bother.. also da kitchen needs supervisor.. young backpackers would tidy up after their cooking..

• Reviewed: 7 May 2017

• Double Room with Bathroom

Other people's hairs in the ensuite were not a great welcome to the property. The shower was very poor. Didn't appreciate all of the passive aggressive signs about consuming alcohol in the room.

• Reviewed: 7 May 2017

• Double Room with Bathroom

The windows didnt open, but they also weren't sealed properly so the wellington wind was icy cold and deafening. The cleaners didnt clean my room properly before I got there since there was a melted Pineapple Lump under my bed when I got there. No soap provided in a private bathroom so I couldnt even wash my hands until I went to buy my own. Also everything for tea/coffee was provided including a jug EXCEPT A MUG which is the most important part. And even paying so much for a private room they didnt provide a towel so I had to go buy one.

Good size bed, private bathroom if you pay for a private room instead of a dorm.

• Reviewed: 4 May 2017

• Bed in 6-Bed Dormitory Room

If only the room where i was have a heater because it was freezing there, good thing they had a comforter to stay warm during my stay. Then during the night when i arrived I'm not sure why but the hotwater in the toilet was not working.. luckily in the morning it has.

Well at first i was put into a room full of boys which i was not comfortable with so i asked the reception if i can transfer to another room with just girls or most probably a single room and gladly they were very accommodating to my needs. Then on my room which i was placed into has a great view and really quiet too. Overall it was still good, the staff were really accommodating and the place has a good location for transport going anywhere the city.

• Bed in 4-Bed Female Dormitory Room

Is nosy in the evenings all days of the week as bars surround the hostel and nearby streets. I'd advise ear plugs!

You get what you pay for. Nice enough, rooms are clean and tidy though not the biggest so gets cosy when full. The kitchen is a little dirty but it's a big hostel. Staff are okay, not unhelpful but not super friendly.

• Bed in 6-Bed Dormitory Room

Beds and room where very small and bed made a lot of noise if you would lie on it! Wifi only 7 to 7. Bathrooms where outdated and needed to be renovated!

Big hostel with nice kitchen facilities and located in centre of Wellington

Browse Base Wellington traveller photo gallery