Reviews of Bolton Hotel 5 stars

Cnr Bolton And Mowbray Streets, 6011 Wellington, New Zealand

#3 of 54 hotels in Wellington

Service from the hotel's restaurant could have been better. There was no seating available and they were adamant about not being able to serve us oysters even in the lounge. They could have been helpful to suggest room service which they did not.

Beds were large and comfy.

• Premier One-Bedroom Twin Suite

Not much space on vanity in bathroom for 2 ppl.

Standard of the room and best of all the fantastic shower. Water pressure fantastic. Really comfortable bed and general space.

• Premier Studio

I left my phone in the taxi just before I checked in. The staff made it their mission to get it back - which they did. Very comfortable bed, had uninterrupted 8 hour sleep - unusual for me in a hotel. Great breakfast too.

• Premier Studio

Great location, very comfortable and roomy accomodation. Staff very friendly and helpful. Very clean rooms with good kitchenette facilities. Good range of toiletries. Good choice of wines at the bar. Valet parking excellent as distance so short.

• Two-Bedroom Suite

Apart from slightly slow restaurant service (although breakfast service was excellent) nothing

Spacious suite and very well equipped nice views over city hills

Everything was fine.

The hotel is not too large or too small - you get personal attention, with all the facilities a top hotel should offer. The room was very comfortable and the location is good for visiting Wellington.

• Studio

I’ve always liked the Bolton. Used to stay a lot but it got too expensive so it was nice to get a deal and stay this time. The staff always make you feel welcome as soon as you arrive. I had a studio and I always like them as they are smart and comfortable with a great bed and a great shower which is all that matters to me. The WiFi is great and the facilities and restaurant are quality. I’m keeping an eye out for another deal!

• Premier One-Bedroom Twin Suite

A bit of confusion for first time visitors about car -parking. We thought we coudl drive into a sheltered car park but did not realise it was a drive through- this - compounded by a situation where there were vehicles blocking the entrance waiting to pick up departing guests( probably being sent to the airport). We were left waiting for a good 10 minutes and not realising we could reverse (although quite tight) out and risk and in coming car.

• Studio

The size of the room was a bit cramped and the sky tv wasn’t the best quality

The big breakfast was delicious, cooked perfectly! The pool and gym facilities are great

• Two-Bedroom Suite

Only one thing, we ordered room service on our last night and the meals had cooled by the time they were delivered, everything else was great though, highly recommend the Hotel.

• Studio

Room was very small and overheated when we arrived. Staff were quick to sort it out though.

Staff were very helpful and friendly. Location was perfect and good parking valet service.

• Premier One-Bedroom Twin Suite

The room let it all down. A 5 star hotel does not look like the room we had. Hole in bathroom ceiling, shower door doesn’t close, no extractor fan in bathroom, extractor fan in kitchen did not work, carpet lifting, table has stains, kitchen too. The quality of room let the rating down. Sheets and pillows were not 5 star. Really, really disappointing. Couches were tired and worn.

The staff and service

• Studio

The bathroom smelt terrible like there was a problem with the plumbing potentially. Also the breakfast was average - coffee was undrinkable. I also stay at this hotel all the time and have spent thousands over the years and they are the only hotel I regularly stay at that I’ve never been upgraded at. They seemed very quiet when I was there so unfortunate they couldn’t provide an up grade

Staff are friendly and the location was great

• Classic One-Bedroom Suite

Nothing. It met our needs for our 3 day stay.

Very nice apartment, we had a one bedroom unit and it was large, clean, comfortable and quiet. It's a little dated but not bad. Our unit overlooked the park in back which was nice. Concierge was helpful with ideas on where to go and what to do. Very much appreciated. Location was good, you could walk everywhere. We ate breakfast in our apt so we never used the restaurant.

• Studio

Not many restaurants in the immediate area in the weekend - but just a short walk away

Good location, clean & tidy, nice staff, iPads in rooms, good gym facilities

• Classic One-Bedroom Suite

The bath couldn’t fit 2 of us, but I’m sure we would’ve found a bigger bath if we upgraded

Loved the housekeeping, she was so lovely! Also checking in was good loved the lady who served us, I loved it and I would love to come back!

• Classic One-Bedroom Suite

Staff are the main possitive. They seem happy to see you as you walk in. Nothing is too much of a problem. Really enjoyed having a kitchen. Just needed something stronger or abrasive to clean a pan and there wasn’t anything.

• Premier One-Bedroom Twin Suite

Room was a bit hot but the bed was mega comfy

Staff were amazing, restaurant was amazing, room was amazing! When we returned the week after they had upgraded us to a suite!! I'll be staying here again.

• Classic One-Bedroom Suite

The hotel was absolutely wonderful. Jayne on arrival was no kind.and thoughtful. It was an early flight and we had our room availabile asap. Brilliant service and just a lovely, relaxed feeling in the hotel.

• Classic One-Bedroom Suite

Our one bedroom suite was spacious, well appointed and comfortable. Also had a mini kitchen. Very friendly and helpful reception and concierge. Lot of charm and character.

The pillows were a bit too full for me, I ended up with a headache. I put a pillow case on one of the lounge cushions and it was much better.

I loved that everything was provided including dishwashing powder and washing powder. Especially loved there was a coffee plunger and coffee. Hotel staff responded very quickly with anything we needed. Location was very convenient.

• Premier Studio

Our view was cemetery, was in shock when we opened our curtains. When we booked, it wasn’t shown so it was misleading. 2ndly we thought parking was included but it wasn’t:((( again misleading information!!!!

Bed was ok

Small pool which was a wee cool. Slow lifts. Bed very hard, option of topper to soften would be good. Ipad didn't hold charge

Quirky location next cemetery. Friendly staff. Ipad for ease of searching both hotel and other

• Premier Suite

Windows can't be opened which is a shame in nature country like NZ, and I couldn't access the fitness center maybe it is my card but I did not bother asking for help anyway.

Great room, comfortable and quick check in and check out.

Nothing at all.

The staff were just delightful nothing was a bother. They made my stay in Wellington very comfortable and relaxing. The bed was the most comfortable hotel bed i have slept in.Could not fault anything.

• Premier Studio

The room we had was very spacious with a lovely view of the bottom end of the botanical gardens. It was extremely well equipped and tastefully furnished. Although up from the main city centre, we found it an easy 5 minute walk down to the shops and waterfront. The Beehive and parliament buildings are just around the corner and we took the opportunity to go on the free tour of the parliament buildings.

• Classic One-Bedroom Suite

Stayed because there was a pool but it was closed. No info in room e.g. menus (not on iPad either)--- apart from room service No bed turn down No newspaper delivered

Comfortable bed

• Premier Studio

The booking I had said we would have a view of the park (booking.com booking); but we had a view of another building only - no view. Also said there would be an ipad mini...I only realised these things on the second day so it felt too late to complain; also they didn't really matter but I was disappointed - the previous time it had been so wonderful at this hotel.

Location awesome; staff nice

We had dinner in the Hotel the first evening it was late they were very accommodating the food was outstanding. The staff excellent very helpful at all times.

• Premier Studio

Nothing we disliked about this hotel Would request a room on the other side of the corridor next time with a view to the park.

Very comfortable bed and room was spacious Excellent location with onsite parking

• Premier Studio

We purposely choose this hotel because it had parking only to find the parking was full! We then had to park miles away in a Wilsons car park with huge fees! Did not help that a cyclone had come to town and the weather was terrible!

Nice enough hotel

• Two-Bedroom Suite

The staff are amazing - Katie goes out of her way to be super helpful. A downside though -Unfortunately the breakfast here is a real disappointment - its all luke warm and although it looks ok, is lacking flavour and heat!

• Classic One-Bedroom Suite

Noisy - especially air conditioning, rooms were very standard decor and already a little tired, on arrival staff had not attended to my request re room, room service food was not appetising and over priced.

Staff were helpful and very pleasant.

Nothing really!

The hotel staff are delightful and super helpful and the hotel rooms are well appointed, clean, spacious and comfortable. Overall a really great hotel and I would definitely stay again when next in Wellington for business. Also had the most delicious dinner at the restaurant on the 1st floor last night. Highly recommend!

• Premier Studio

Use of iPad for all information was not very user friendly or detailed. And I am used to an iPad! Breakfast options were very limited especially for the continental choice

Location, spacious comfortable room. Parking easy to access

• Classic One-Bedroom Suite

For a high end hotel - the bed was not what I would expect. The following night i was in a motel in timaru for work and the bed had a thick foam topper and was very comfortable. I was also surprised to see paint flaking and marks on the walls - particularly in the bathroom by toilet roll holder.

Staff ! Went out of their way - couldn’t fault them - amazing !

• Premier Studio

Breakfast was too expensive for what it cost and food was luke warm.

The situation looking out over the historic Bolton street cemetery, quietness of of the hotel. Proximity to public transport. Your staff made the major point of difference.

• Premier Studio

Loud trash trucks beeping and clanking at 7:00am every morning. Get an upper floor room!

The staff was awesome. Happy smiling people. Right next to parliament. Lots of dignitaries, pilots and professionals. Not high maintenance tourists.

• Premier Studio

We didn't relise that w had to pay $30 a day for parking!

The location was fabulous we didn't need to use the car at all. Easy walk to the waterfront and main places of interest.

• Premier Studio

Kitchen hob extractor not working so couldn’t get rid of cooking smell in our room.

Location was great - within walking distance of all the main sights. Bonus to have a swimming pool (although a little cold).

• Premier Studio

After a long day of walking would have liked to relax in a warm bath but although there was a tub unable to move switch from shower to bath fill mode.

Arrived very early and check in and storage of bag was not an issue. Bag was in my room waiting for me. Even though I was a single woman travelling on my own I felt safe having a drink in the bar. Good level of attention.

• Studio

The bed wasn't that comfortable and the room was very small. One room service meal ordered was yummy but was slightly cooler than it should have been as they took it to the wrong room. There was some confusion about which room I was in from the kitchen, and even after ringing me it still took another five minutes for the meal to be delivered.

The room was well equipped and very quiet and good for sleeping. Great location for railway station and parliament house, library, St Pauls and Botanical gardens. Room service meal was delicious...but it got lost and was a little cold (see below)

• Two-Bedroom Suite

Nothing much, although the washing machine took ages to dry things.

We stayed in a two bedroom suite which was ideal for us and our friends travelling together. When the air-con wasn't working we were moved to another room immediately. Recommendations for eateries from the concierges were spot on, also lots of help when there was concerns with ferry departures.

• Studio

The studio room was very small and there was no view. It was fine to sleep in but we had expected more and were disappointed as we were booked in for a two night stay.

Hotel as a whole was lovely, staff were attentive and helpful. Bathroom was well appointed.

• Premier One-Bedroom Twin Suite

Have a non-stick fry pan in the kitchen would be good. Breakfast buffet for $30 is not as good as I expected. The melon on the table has gone off and almost made me sick

Great location, very comfortable bed, friendly staff

• Premier Studio

the only thing I would have liked was some extraction in the bathroom,the window wasn't an openable window or that would have served the purpose.

Nice quiet, comfy and clean place to stay. Great location to shops,waterfront,cable car,Botanic Gardens, Te Papa,restaurants and entertainment venues. Great restaurant and Cafe on site or room service if desired.

• Studio

we enjoyed the total experience, helpful staff, friendly and polite, great location, and very comfortable. It suited us perfectly for our needs and the pool/spa area was a nice bonus

nothing!

Delicious soft bed to slide into and dream away from the hustle of life...only regret- i couldn't stay there longer... Loved the historic write up of the ship named Bolton and her arrival to New Zealand- that the humble rose arrived tucked inside a potato plant leaves me admiring my roses all the more.

• Two-Bedroom Suite

Suite was excellent. Corner room with floor to ceilling windows overlooking wooded hillside. Room had many amenities and was in first class condition. True luxury stay.

• Premier Studio

There was not any window to open in the suite so the air condition is running always. The Park view to Thornton Hills was beautiful but below you look on the motorway less than 100 m

The spacious room in the suite was great. Everything in Wellington is in walking distance.

• Premier One-Bedroom Twin Suite

Very clean, tidy, comfortable and loved the facilities. Made good use of the pool and gym area- perfect for a family holiday. Staff are friendly and willing to help

• Classic One-Bedroom Suite

The hotel is designed to flex in earthquakes. Unfortunately this means it flexes in high winds as well. One night the winds were so strong the drawers in the bedroom kept opening.

Convenient location and comfortable bed. Charming staff

• Classic One-Bedroom Suite

Excellent stay at a favourite Wellington hotel. Combined a booking for business with a personal booking for the weekend. Handled very well, retained same room etc

• Classic One-Bedroom Suite

- weren’t able to fix the USB iPad mini charger during the stay (minor issue)

- Fantastic to have a kitchen with dishwasher & washing machine - housekeeping fast as lighting, would fulfill any request within minutes

• Studio

On three separate occasions our card key would not work. On two of these occasions we were stuck outside our room in bathing suits. While the staff who helped were good, we would've appreciated an offer of a new key as this was pretty embarrassing for two 17 yr old girls. As we were under 18 yrs old reception said they would have to remove the alcohol from our mini bar. No one ever showed up to do this.

The room was very nice and comfortable.

• Two-Bedroom Suite

Gosh, there was a really annoying sound in the room (which I’m sure they’ll fix) and the room service food was terrible!!

So clean, th prettiest view, great linens, great supply’s, nice understated decore, great windows and window treatments

• Two-Bedroom Suite

The room service menu is probably one of the worst I have seen. Really hardly and choice.

Excellent twinge bedroom suite with all facilities such was washing machine and provided laundry detergent etc. Was very comfortable.

• Premier One-Bedroom Twin Suite

Lovely helpful and friendly staff. Great location. Exceptionally clean. Huge white fluffy towels. Great pool and spa area. Spacious and very comfortable rooms. Great view over the hills. Barista makes a mean soy flat white. We are only sorry that due to circumstances we didn’t dine at the restaurant which looked beautiful.

• Premier Studio

dinner was nice but meh, have you changed the chef from the start of the year?

Our premier studio room was lovely and spacious with heavy drapes to shut out the morning light for a good sleep in. As on previous stay, and from what I'd expect of a five star property, friendly and efficient, nothing is too much trouble service!

• Two-Bedroom Suite

Valet parking It was unclear what coffee-tea etc you would have to pay for Stuffy room temperature Nighttime ceiling noises Very bland personality lacking customer service

Not much

• Classic One-Bedroom Suite

Room shared a wall with the fitness area, which was not ideal when guests were using the weights machine at 10pm, but totally fine 95% of the time.

Great central location if you're keen to stay in a quieter area of town. Staff were super helpful and polite, and wifi connectivity was A+.

• Premier Suite

The hotel, the room, the service, were great. BUT the sewing kit was unusably cheap, the needle bent just from opening the packet and was tiny and unthreadable that the whole thing was pointless. I was running late for an extremely important event and had a small hole in my sweater, I had to just leave it. Kinda ruined my night. These situations are the whole point of having sewing kits in hotel rooms, so I don't know why you would skimp a few cents by stocking one that is completely unusable.

Staff were extremely helpful, room was very clean and fully equipped.

• Classic One-Bedroom Suite

That we couldn't stand outside with our drinks so we could have a cigarette whilst drinking in a comfatable place. you should cater for smokers. Expensive for such a room. toilet was loose when sat on.

The drinks where as expensive/cheap as I thought.

• Premier Studio

Daily internet limit and the property uses a strong air freshener.

Excellent location right next to Kings Cross train stop. Lots of great restaurants nearby and only a short walk to Hyde Park and great shopping.

• Studio

For room service we ordered the porridge but the side of berry was missing then near finishing the food two pieces of meat that looked to be bots of bacon were found in the porridge. My booking.com quote was $598 but I was charged $609. The beds were okay but not as comfy as I would expect from a 5 star hotel.

The I pad mini in the room.

• Premier Studio

The food was somewhat expensive. Probably our fault but we ordered two steaks, our guests thought there would be some accompanying veges but there weren't. We were in 806, for your maintenance team, the fridge door rubs on the floor

Comforable bed, very clean. Restaurant very good

• Classic One-Bedroom Suite

All pretty good, the spa pool is getting a bit dated if I had to pick something but that is very minor

The room was very comfortable, the gym was great and open late which is a bonus, stalf very helpful, great location in town

• Studio

On check out their POS system would not allow payment to be split between company cards - I usually do this when I am travelling/working for two of my companies at the same time for easier internal billing to each entities respective clients .

Bed was great and location perfect

• Two-Bedroom Suite

we asked for a configuration of two single beds and one large. The smallest room was used for the smallest single beds and no ensuite. Why did the single beds not go into the larger room? The extra cost for WOW loading was excessive and we were not prepared for that.

Staff were very helpful. Milk in fridge had separated and was not replaced each day. room service delivered a fresh jug.

• Classic One-Bedroom Suite

The pillows so hard I couldn't sleep on them . the second night I took the pillow out of the case and replaced with my daughters puffer jacket. The furniture old and dented.

The staff esp concierge was extremely pleasant and helpful

• Premier One-Bedroom Twin Suite

Each time we stayed the ipad in the room was not working there was no information in the room about the hotel ie its restaurant times, pool times, Tv schedules

Pool for kids

• Studio

the room decor felt tired and cookie cutter type interior [hotel lobby similar] . We only discovered after attending the WOW show that there was a pre-show menu available . It was a shame reception didnt inform us of this . Whilst on the subject of reception we felt the staff at that desk could take a lead from the concierge team as both our arrival and departure experience at reception was at best lukewarm and scant in terms of engaging with us as guests and visitors .

The concierge service from arrival to departure was excellent and left a lasting impression of authentic hospitality . A late night supper fireside in the lobby with a small but perfectly formed library was wonderful

• Premier One-Bedroom Twin Suite

Had a problem with airconditioning, couldnt get it below 23 degrees in the room. Was looked at but little change when moved to another room. Staff helpful throughout.

Friendly staff, lovely little cafe in lobby to relax in.

• Premier One-Bedroom Twin Suite

There was no bedside table or bedside lights in the second bedroom and very pushed for room with our suitcase in the room as well. The second bathroom also lacked room to put a toilet bag etc.

• Premier Studio

Appalling customer service at hotel restaurant during breakfast. Coffee served cold. Complaints ignored. After 15 minutes scrambled eggs still not delivered.

Well appointed and spacious room with comfortable bed