Reviews of Novotel Wellington 4.5 stars

133-137 The Terrace, 6001 Wellington, New Zealand

#16 of 54 hotels in Wellington

5.9

No help on arrival with our luggage.
    • Superior Twin Room with Two Double Beds

No help on arrival with our luggage. Had to manage the luggage trolley myself. Also thin walls. Woken at 0115 by noisy doors drunken Neighbours. Phoned reception and they asked them to quieten down. It took some time. Very disappointing and disruptive to sleeping.

• Reviewed: 22 September 2018

We enjoyed pur stay and had a restful night. Will definitely come back. Highly recommended
    • Superior Twin Room with Two Double Beds

The carpet in our room was dirty. No toothbrush provided.

The room is spacious and the beds were very comfortable. The staff are very accommodating as well. The food at the buffet breakfast was so good.

• Reviewed: 20 September 2018

Vey enjoyable, comfortable and very clean, great location- will book again.
    • Superior Twin Room with Two Double Beds

Bed super comfy, super clean bathroom. Great location. Will stay again in a flash! Friendly and very helpful personnel at reception. Love the lift down to Lambton Quay.

Good one night stay for an All Blacks game.
    • Superior Twin Room (3 Adults)

No free Wifi. Although the parking options were great, a warning about the height restriction in the public car park would have been helpful. Our vehicle was ok, but only just.

Staff at reception were friendly, welcoming and helpful.

Staff were very helpful @ check-in & check out.
    • Superior Twin Room with Two Double Beds

Staff were very helpful @ check-in & check out. Their small gestures went above the call of duty & was greatly appreciated (a bottle of water for the ferry & help with some rubbish from an event). Thank you for making us welcome & making things easy

Front desk staff very helpfull.
    • Superior King Room

Not a major, TV channels not all working. They did their best to help, including a room upgrade. Unfortunately the upgraded room had the same issue. Staff were accommodating about the situation. I was happy, they did what they could at the time.

Front desk staff very helpfull.

Excellent staff service!
    • Superior Twin Room with Harbour View

Elevator from down town was a little slow.

The staff was excellent! I had 2 or 3 special requests and they absolutely went out of their way to help me.

Great city location for everything
    • Superior Twin Room with Two Double Beds

Some of the decor. The curtains in room looked like blood splatter and the walls in halls horrible mustard colour

Spacious room. Comfortable beds. Location great. Lift access to lambton quay

A great stay and would certainly book here next time
    • Superior King Room

I am not a fan of a shower over bath which was a bit dated. Could also hear running water from the room next door.

The staff were so friendly, the rooms very clean and tidy and the bed was super comfy. Best sleep I have had in a long time. Would certainly stay again and recommend to others. Great location😊

Below par for the reasons stated above.
    • Superior Twin Room with Two Double Beds

When I arrived I was very tired and was looking forward to a bath. There was no bath plug. The staff were unable to find a bath plug, so no bath, despite that being one of the reasons I booked the hotel! This was annoying and ridiculous for a five star hotel in middle of Wellington. They also didn’t know about the breakfast that I had been offered through booking.com and that caused a delay and frustration at the front desk. When I complained about this I was brushed off by management which I didn’t think was very professional.

The staff were very pleasant

Staff were very friendly and helpful.
    • Superior King Room

I did not like the wet floor shower, husband had shower and whole floor was wet. Pillows were terrible. felt like I was sleeping on nothing.

Staff were very friendly and helpful. Comfy bed. We were on floor 7 and it was very quite.

Would return

Can't think of anything

Fabulous bed and pillows looked forward to going to bed. Great location. Extremely quiet rooms could not hear any noise from other rooms. Exceptional staff couldn't do enough to help.

The lovely got her met us on arrival and departure was very...
    • Executive Twin Room with Two Double Beds

The lovely got her met us on arrival and departure was very friendly and super helpful. Loved the valet car parking. No need to worry about the car. So handy to where we wanted to be

Location to Westpac Stadium and main shopping area.
    • Superior King Room

Unfortunately the room we were given was either still occupied or had not been cleaned!! The staff were incredibly apologetic and upgraded us to a very nice room . The manager escorted us to our room and gave us complimentary drinks at the bar.

Location to Westpac Stadium and main shopping area.

Family friendly
    • Superior Twin Room with Harbour View

The mattress were soft because they were wore, as a person was kind of sinking into it. Parking was quite inconvenient and expensive.

Novotel was located near shops and had access to Lambton Quay through shopping centre. The rooms had 2x double beds which was quite good for families, a large TV and comfortable setting. It was clean and well illuminated! The bathroom was spacious and modern.

Excellent hotel and staff which I'm finding a rarety in NZ. Cheers Novotel Wellington.
    • Executive Twin Room with Two Double Beds

The air con couldn't keep room cool as up in the 10th floor all the heat would rise.

The staff were really friendly and nothing seemed to be a problem. The room was nice and close to Wellington CBD. The breakfast was great and was a good start to the day. Room service meals excellent.

Nice Rooms - Quiet
    • Superior King Room

The hotel is centrally located, staff are friendly and helpful. Breakfast was excellent and value for money with a great selection. Would stay here again.

perfect perfect and genuine service...i
    • Superior Twin Room with Two Double Beds

just wasnt sure if the duvet was feather or not...if it was another option would be good...but no biggie i could of rung and asked

spotless genuine service a pleasure to stay in...loved it. valet parking a must! would stay again in a heartbeat. perfect place for a treat if your on a budget but want luxury was was our position. its an AAAAA+++++

Small room and uncomfortable beds
    • Superior Twin Room with Two Double Beds

The room was very small for our family and the hotel didn't have the information on how many children we had so we had to organise the roll away bed when we got there. The beds were only doubles and so soft that my husband and I couldn't sleep in the same bed, instead having to share with the kids.

The staff were very friendly and the location was nice and central.

Amazing
    • Superior King Room

The room was lovely nice to get a lot more sky channels. And the food we ordered for room service was devine . me and my partner loved our stay here :) :)

If Novatel would invest in hand held attachments to showers I would stay there again in a flash.
    • Superior Twin Room with Two Double Beds

1. There were no hand held attachments on the showers so I did not have one. 2. I do not appreciate being served my tea/coffee in stoneware mugs or cups. I asked the kitchen for a porcelain cup/mug without saucer and they said they did not have any. They should keep a few in stock for discerning guests like me.

1. The food at breakfast was excellent apart from the stoneware mugs. 2. Location excellent. 3. Room clean and sheets crisp. 4. Close to one of the best restaurants/bar/cafes on the Terrace, the Ministry of Food. 5. Close to David Jones and walking distance to Parliament.

The Novatel was nice and clean, fresh and vibrant decor.
    • Superior Twin Room with Two Double Beds

The Novatel was nice and clean, fresh and vibrant decor. The staff were all friendly and very attentive. The valet service was fast even though it was a busy weekend with All Blacks game in Wellington that weekend. Had dinner at restaurant- food was beautiful and had breakfast and was a lovely fresh buffet.

Novotel Wellington
    • Superior King Room

No fresh air available as it is all sealed, room had bad smell from previous guest that couldn't be got rid of.

Novotel quality although older and needs some TLC.

Lovely
    • Superior King Room

I did like it was very close to everything, the staff were awesome. The room was fine for 1 person. I wasnt sure if breakfast was included so I don't know how breakfast was, but if it was included in my price then was very good price for room.

very good and would recommend staying at Novotel Welligton again.
    • Superior Twin Room with Two Double Beds

Location great. Very clean and relaxing. Bed very comfortable. Bed & Breakfast package great value. Hotel staff very friendly and accommodating.

welcoming, warm and cosy.

n/a

The friendliness of the staff. the ability to have our cars garaged and brought out of the garage whenever needed. this is not the first time I have stayed there and would not hesitate to stay there again when next in wellington.

NZ Grandma's 90th Birthday brought us to stay at the Novotel
    • Superior Twin Room with Two Double Beds

The support from staff especially regarding the dietary requirements of my husband meant that the chef could prepare food for him so that there would be no gluten was such a relief that they understood completely. The convenience from The Terrace to Lambton Quay is such a bonus in Wellington. The room too was great! Thanks Jeanie

Great place to stay.
    • Superior Twin Room with Two Double Beds

Cold in the dining room (Caucas)

Excellent staff, position and room When we last stayed 8 years ago everything was a bit tired but now after a refurbishment it is all very good. Ellis Li is a credit to the establishment - he could not be more pleasant and accommodating.

Comfortable, clean, great room service.
    • Superior Twin Room with Two Double Beds

Check in was a little lacking, I arrived early and was just told to come back later rather than shown to the bar/restaurant/lounge... anything other than walking around the city for 2 hours after already travelling for quite some time.

Comfortable, clean, great room service. Rooms looked nice and were quiet enough for a hotel in the middle of the city (another plus)

We were made very welcome and the room was clean,...
    • Superior Twin Room with Two Double Beds

We were made very welcome and the room was clean, comfortable. Room Service was also very good and breakfast included was the icing on the cake. My new Wellington hotel. Staff were very helpful and held my bags while I did some morning shopping before I left.

Good
    • Superior Twin Room with Two Double Beds

Good stay but a few comments : Was surprised that as I booked online , I didnt qualify for Accor loyalty points . Restaurant food I had was high quality but I would have sacrificed 5-star food presentation for a bit more on the plate for the price charged .

Just what we needed to rest our weary bodies!
    • Superior King Room

Pillows were thin as but being exhausted I didn't even think to ask for another (all three pillows in room were same. The clock next to bed was very bright (but that's just our personal feelings) The hamburger patties were disgusting. Under cooked and pink in centre. Again I was too exhausted to complain at the time.

The staff were friendly and the barman made my special drink to perfection - so I had two! The room was decent size, with everything we needed. Great toiletries, shower gel, shampoo, conditioner and moisturiser. The bed was comfy and the breakfast was great with loads of options and amazing variety of yummy foods and beverages!

The location is really good as it is near shopping malls and...
    • Superior King Room

There is no free internet in the room unless you are a member of their ‘club’. WiFi is available in the lobby but is limited.

The location is really good as it is near shopping malls and restaurants. The room is clean and comfortable as well. We had a great deal with Booking.com, so our booking came with buffet breakfast which is really great value for money.

We had a great stay and will return
    • Superior King Room with Harbour View

Buffet breakfast, food was cold.

Comfort , room was a great size with view, it wzs nicely presented The bed was so comfortable and the pillows were just right...with more available. , close proximity to central wellington, very welcoming at reception,

Let down
    • Superior King Room

Small details missing. Phone in room did not work. It was to be replaced but wasn't. Room service food was tasteless. Ordered fish expecting it to be fresh but was frozen from a packet. Used restaurant for dinner 1 night. Took ages to be directed to a seat then I was forgotten about so left. Staff were doing their best. Clearly understaffed.

Clean and central

It was amazing and clean!
    • Superior King Room

It was amazing and clean! The girl who checked us in had amazing customer service and was part of the reason we would come! Didn’t catch her name but she had dark hair in a bun, New Zealand girl and quite petite!

Very disappointing
    • Superior King Room

The bed was so uncomfortable we were not able to sleep on it, so much so that we changed room. There was a rail running across the bed at rib cage height. The worst bed I have ever attempted to sleep on. The hotel staff attempted to rectify this by placing a small piece of timber under the mattress, all this at 1030pm. Absolutely unbelievable. The new room we were allocated had dirty grout in the shower recess. The pillows were incredibly flat in both rooms. The second room we stayed at had staining in the creases of the mattress similar to some kind of insect pest, and both my wife and I received multiple bites to our ankles from some small insect. The wifi was a paid service, which is unrealistic in this day and age. The bedside alarm radio was a mount for an iPhone 4. Given that we now have iPhone 10, it was obsolete by a number of years. Overall our stay was not pleasant at all, and we spent as much time as possible outside of the hotel as possible. I would not recommend the hotel to anyone, and I will make a note to not stay at a novotel again.

The elevator to lamboton quay was handy.

Novatel isn't any good.
    • Superior King Room

Everything, terrible hotel for the cost have stayed in much better for much cheaper will never be going back, and has taken over a week to get my deposit back on a pre paid for room. All and all crap.

Nothing terribly over priced.

Excellent!
    • Superior Twin Room with Two Double Beds

The staff appeared abit distant when needing help with changing my booking upon arrival for check-in. Not their fault though, as it was an online issue.

The buffet breakfast was awesome!

Very Average Hotel
    • Superior King Room

Not enough people on reception to sort irate guests and people pushing in from of you. It took far too long to check in. And the information on check in wasn't explained very well cause not enough staff for the number of guests checking in. The location of this place is a bit far from restaurants etc and on the side of a hill, if you have walking difficulties this is not the place for you.

Nice large comfortable bed

Perfect weekend away
    • Superior King Room

Got charged for the carpark when it was advertised as free for guest on booking.com website.

Hospitality was great. Brilliant breakfast and the gym facility was awesome

Overall good

We had valet carparkin..... The delivery of the car was no problem only To pick up the car key is in my opinion a Desaster!! To wait 15 min in line at the reception is unacceptable. A seperate porters desk would help!!

A relaxing comfortable getaway.
    • Superior King Room

The only minor inconvenience, although considered a convenience, was the mini-bar instead of an actual mini fridge.

We loved our room with ample seating and a great bathroom. The place was outstanding in customer service getting us cabs and information as well as a smooth checkin and checkout. I would definitely stay again, hopefully on a higher floor next time.

Loved it and totally would come again - if the price is right ;)
    • Superior Twin Room (3 Adults)

I didn't like how there was nowhere to park the car at the entrance of the hotel. It made it a little difficult when we arrived.

Loved the staff and how helpful they were. We had booked more than three rooms as a group and it was awesome to be located close to one another. Also, we all enjoyed the buffet breakfast. The staff everywhere we encountered were lovely and served with a smile. Bonus was the free gym entry to the gym across the road. The staff there were great too!

Big bed big bathroom.
    • Superior King Room

Didn’t like the entrance from lambton quay- walking thru the serving area to reception Didn’t like the charge for wifi!!!

Big bed big bathroom. Short black espresso at brekkie and made to order eggs

Good Breakfast and location, bad price
    • Superior Twin Room with Harbour View

Price was expensive, especially the variable rates, which came as a bit of a surprise at check out.

The English Breakfast was fantastic, the location was also great

Will probably be back
    • Superior Twin Room with Two Double Beds

This time I had a car, which I notified in advance that I would require parking, on arrival there was no parking available and I was directed to a public park, although I paid the hotel direct. Appears I received a parking ticket - yet to decided whose liability that is.

I always stay here - so it must be ok.

Slightly Disappointing as we choose novetel based on reputation and it wasn’t up to standard.
    • Executive King Room

Our room wasn’t ready for 2 pm check in and so they gave us a bar voucher ... bar was full of dirty dishes and when I used the bathroom there was no toilet paper. Once we got To our room everything was fine except the rubbish bins were not emptied from those before us.

Room and bed comfortable

Valet service is excellent and reception staff were great. Thanjs
    • Superior Twin Room with Two Double Beds

Towels were a bit threadbare, for superior twin price in a 4.5 star hotel I expected thicker quality, and have had this at similar hotels

Comfy beds, good size bedroom.

Dissapointing

Harbour view as stated was more of a glimpse.....very disappointed to have paid the extra....Paid parking process a nightmare ,was not told elevators didn’t work after hours...Beers were ridiculous over price at $10 for standard beer....check in sign at front of motel to indicate you CAN park in bust stop would have saved a phone call in heavy peak hour traffic and a 1 hour detour...😡

Checkout staff guy was incredibly helpful.Bed was fantastic.

Never again.
    • Superior King Room with Harbour View

1. Check-in girl (Milica) was about as welcoming as a German Sheppard. 2. Supposed to be a 4.5 star hotel, what a joke! 3. Pillows were so flat they looked like they had been borrowed from a bad motel. 4. Towels were so old and tired they must have come from the same motel. 5. Harbour view - another part of the joke, there is a big building in the way. 6. I paid almost $300 per night for this dump, and they wanted another $10 per night for internet access.

Centre of town

• Superior Twin Room with Two Double Beds

To have know more about what we were getting very disappointing and we are New Zealanders.

Nothing about the hotel, for what is advertised as a good hotel and being Novetel we expected more would never use this hotel or recommend

Friendly staff, good location, value for money
    • Superior King Room

The hotel is on a hill so make sure you enter the hotel from the main shopping street (and up with elevator to the hotel lobby).

Very friendly staff upon my early checkin (room was ready at 10am after long flight). Spacious rooms with full amenities.

Overall a good place to stay.
    • Superior King Room

Unable to print ballet tickets and was late arriving.

Actually the croissants were quite nice. Breakfast was good and the gym nice to have on a very Windy Wellington day.

Overall, the hotel’s location makes up for any minor points and I would stay there again
    • Superior King Room

Small details but important ones...., One of the white mugs in the room was slightly chipped and should be discarded The sink has a slow leak so a small pool of water appears on the shelf underneath each time it is used

Great location & a short walk to all key tourist attractions

It was a great stay
    • Superior Twin Room with Two Double Beds

We didn't like that booking.com didn't pass on our request of booking two rooms adjoining or close together! We booked 6months in advance as we were travelling with a single mum with 2 young kids. We checked in to find we were on seperate floors! Which we were not happy about!

Very friendly and accomodating

The bed was comfy and it's very quiet.
    • Superior King Room

Having to pay for wifi...really.? We were put into a "disabled" facilities room, shower curtain about 12inches off the floor so water everywhere.

The bed was comfy and it's very quiet.

Good
    • Superior King Room with Harbour View

Something in the room affected my allergies but that’s a personal thing with nothing against the hotel my partner had no issues It was a good hotel and good location

Convient location and great for vacation travelers or business travelers Not very Romantic

Had a great stay and would definitely stay there again.
    • Superior Twin Room with Two Double Beds

Excellent location, being able to take the lift straight to Lambton Quay was awesome. The breakfast buffet, which was included in our room rate was so good!

Clean, comfortable with great service - would stay here again
    • Superior Twin Room with Two Double Beds

The room was the "Superior" room and was expensive. For the price I would have expected a better view rather than a view that was completely surrounded by buildings and looking into car parks.

Beds were very comfortable and room was spotless. Breakfast was excellent with great coffee! Location of the hotel was also excellent and in spite of being located on The Terrace there was a lift that took you straight down too Lambton Quay - perfect.

Always happy to stay at Novotel Wellington
    • Superior King Room

A few things ran out while at breakfast. Air con was a bit noisy at night while trying to sleep but very happy otherwise.

Breakfast was great, nice having a bath (both why we booked with you!). I like the better choice of channels now, much better than back in May when we last visited.

Good location, good breakfast, helpful staff.
    • Superior Twin Room with Two Double Beds

Only very minor; we needed a bit more of the toiletries for two adults and two kids, as we travelled light for the weekend.

Great deal for the price. Central with access onto The Terrace and Lambton Quay. The guy at check-in was friendly and very helpful with ideas of things to do with our kids.

Close to town. Good buffet breakfast. Would stay again.
    • Superior Twin Room with Two Double Beds

The shower was slow and it took a while to find how to turn it on. A sign would be helpful. They had chocolates and drinks to purchase in room and I bought a 200gm bar of chocolate for $7 -twice normal price and i(after opening) saw ur had obviously been melted and reset -I checked expiry date and that was oka.

Beds comfy and room fairly spacious.

Overall it was a good stay ,fantastic staff, awesome location.
    • Superior Twin Room with Two Double Beds

Now I don't know if it was because we had children or they just didn't care but we had stained pillows stained duvet covers and dirty cups.

Stuff were excellent, I asked if there was a little something that they could do for my partner as it was his birthday and they did a dessert and a bottle of wine,was perfect,thank you.

Excellent stay with a very nice hotel in Wellington, would recommend to anyone
    • Superior Twin Room with Two Double Beds

* The little knob to pull out to turn the water on for the shower rather than the bathtub was a little too finicky * Not automatically having internet (wi-fi) included in the room price was a little bit of a surprise and annoyance (unless you are a hotel rewards program member, so if you are not, get onto it before you arrive) * I personally would like to see complementary bottles of water included in the room * Again personally, I did wish the water pressure in the shower was a little stronger

* The included breaky was nice and complete each morning * The rooms were very nicely appointed * The large TV in the room had the capacity to screen-cast with my phone to play Netflix * The inclusion of full sports package in channels was a nice bonus * When we requested firmer pillows, they were delivered promptly by a friendly staff member who also knew what they were talking about * Having double beds for the twin room was so nice compared to the normal single beds * Housekeeping did an excellent job at cleaning the room and making the beds each day * Water in the shower was always hot * Beer selection at the hotel bar was surprisingly decent * The chilled water at the bar with lemon or orange option was a nice touch of class * Lift up and down from the main street of the CBD was very useful, though I do wish it would be accessible past 10:30pm * Even though there was street work going on during the day outside the hotel, I never heard a thing inside

Awesome! We will definitely be back again!
    • Superior Twin Room with Two Double Beds

If anything, breakfast wasn’t great, but it was better than okay. I would like to see more real food options and while I loved their effort to provide health food, I felt it fell a little short of the mark. Gluten free was seperate from the other food and a bit difficult to find. The sausages were processed, which was a bit disappointing with having small children who love sausages.

The staff were very friendly and went out of their way to help us whenever we needed it. They were brilliant with children, which made our stay all the more easier!

Very helpful staff, an enjoyable stay
    • Superior Twin Room with Two Double Beds

Rooms were modern and comfy. Access to shops and restaurants by lift is very convenient. It is easy to drive to this property, and once there you can leave your car in the carpark and just wander the city.

Disappointing. It was our 25th wedding anniversary and our room was very average.
    • Superior King Room

Our mattress was obviously old. No support and roll together. I suffered a back ache for my stay. The room was very small compared to other hotels. The bathroom in particular was cramped.

Kitchen staff were very efficient and attentive. Good central location

Im coming down again and staying in your hotel, hoping for the same experiance and friendly service
    • Superior Twin Room with Two Double Beds

I thought the wifi could have being included with the room but i think i had to pay extra for it. I just used my data so wassnt to fussed.

Service, staff were absolutley fantastic, friendly, helpful, thank you to the gentleman who helped me with my car and the staff who helped direct me staight to yr door even with all the road works. Well done team

We originally booked s standard room which was only worth...

The size of the standard room for 2 people

We originally booked s standard room which was only worth having if you are a single person it's just not big enough for 2 people. However the check.in staff were very helpful when we asked to transfer to a king room which is a much nore suitable room for 2 people. Although of course more expensive

Friendly, clean and central.
    • Superior Twin Room with Harbour View

Pamphlet in the room said that there was a swimming pool, but I could not find one. Fitness room was adequate but could be better. Breakfasts were overpriced.

Clean, quite room. Central to the CBD and walking distance to the waterfront and Te Papa. Fairly priced parking next door to hotel.

Central location, clean modern and tidy
    • Superior Twin Room with Two Double Beds

Getting something printed through the reception was complicated and ultimately failed - this service could be improved or made easier.

Central location, clean and tidy, modern looking rooms. The hotel served as a great starting point to explore the city. Really easy to access right from the airport bus stop Lambdon Quay. Easy checkin and checkout without a wait.

Wellington at its best - weather
    • Superior Twin Room with Two Double Beds

Pillows not good. Room servicing needs improvements. Only one Left to Lambton key is working, sometimes.

Location. Relatively modern, air conditioning was ok.

Nice stay in lovely beds and good breakfast not far from center.
    • Superior King Room

Not so easy to find w/o gps/Navi at night e.g. coming from ferry due to somewhat complicated street system around Wellington center. Walking distance thereto.

Welcoming reception, book accor ahead and get good prices plus cooked breakfast (with customized egg station), nice spacious beds. Escalator to harbour streets level, parking options one block down under hwy1)

The Breakfast is nice and the staff at the restaurant are...
    • Superior Twin Room with Two Double Beds

The staff at the front desk is not that welcoming unlike the other hotels. Question and Answer thats how the conversation goes.

The Breakfast is nice and the staff at the restaurant are really helpful