Reviews of Holiday Inn Auckland Airport 4.5 stars

Ascot Road, Mangere, 2150 Auckland, New Zealand

#44 of 161 hotels in Auckland

Parts of the dinner buffet were not very nice. In particular the roast meat. It was disgusting. The meat left in gravy is not ok. You need someone to stand behind the bay mariner and carve meat. Keep gravy separate. The Roast veges looked disgusting. For $41.00 I would expect better quality food. The menu was ok just the quality and presentation of the food was bad. Same as the Breakfast buffet. The bacon should be cooked under the grill. The bacon tasted disgusting. Parts of the bacon is cook, crispy but other parts are half cooked. Did not look good. Tomatoes were not grilled. They were pale. No pride taken in the food prepared and served.

Friendly and helpfule waitresses in restaurant and housekeeping. Thank you. Great to have Wifi free.

This location was close to the airport and easy to find. The staff was prompt to check me in and direct me to my parking/room location. The lobby was clean and appealing. The room was spacious enough for all of our luggage. The bed and pillows were very comfortable. The room had tea/coffee and milk available. The bathroom was upgraded and well lit. The room was a great value.

My flight was early on a Sunday, but staff told me a transfer bus was available from outside the hotel. The was an extra cost for this (which I paid) but no one made me aware that a limited timetable operates on a Sunday, so I and another customer waited for half an hour for a bus that didn't arrive! In the end we had to get a cab to make our flight. I wasn't impressed at having to pay twice to get to the airport or at not being warned that there were less bus services on a Sunday.

The hotel was clean and comfortable, and the staff were very friendly and helpful. I was upgraded to a spa room on arrival, which was a nice touch. The area around the hotel also has a few shops and restaurants if you feel like getting out, and is a very short cab ride from the Villa Maria Winery. There is a public bus stop across the road from the hotel, which can take you to the airport and is a cheaper option than the transfer bus.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The staff at holiday in were very polite and friendly. Fast and efficient. The beds were very comfortable I would recommend holiday inn to friends and family.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

I do not like the bar area how its wide open, i believe it should be closed off we're children can't see adults drinking away getting intoxicated

I love how tidy the rooms are and how private my surroundings were didn't run in to much people or get interrupted by anyone loved that.

No elevator.

Excellent ambiance! Very cool decor! Lots of places to sit, lounge, relax. The lobby, the halls, the gardens, the rooms, the restaurant, out front , in the back! The whole property is beautiful!

• Standard Double or Twin Room

fan in bathroom was noisy and could not be turned off so disturbed sleep. Booking was not as requested - only one bed in room. Noisy guests in corridor until after midnight.

restaurant was good

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The customer service was atrocious - I went to book a date and realised when I received the confirmation email that the date selection was wrong. Called within the hour to cancel the booking (a week in advance of the booked date) and was told that they refused to do anything about it. Even when I dropped by the hotel to discuss things, I was left waiting, and again told there was nothing they could do. Worst customer experience I have EVER had, and that includes staying at cheap and nasty hostels when backpacking years ago. Will never stay at a holiday inn, and will happily recommend to others to avoid this one.

It was a little noisey at times as there was a function on just down the hall in a function room. However once that was finished the noise ended and all was good.

From stepping inside I could see that the place had been decorated tastefully, and the room was very nice. The pillows were a highlight, very comfy.

Although not used, it appeared only limited shopping facilities available close by.

The friendly, helpful and very efficient staff I.e. front of house, restaurant and domestic, all, clearly very well trained. Comfortable bed. Handy enough to the airport to ensure quiet rooms.

No elevator. Airport hotel....every person has bags so carrying them upstairs was not acceptable. I thought the room very comfortable and your staff at reception were great but will not choose to stay there again.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Great new restaurant and bar. Good breakfast buffet.Excellent place to stay if you need to be near the airport. You wouldn't stay here for your trip to Auckland - too far from town.

The room we were shown and were settling down in turned out not to have had the sheets changed - dirty with black hair too; I called the front desk and they did move us to an 'upgraded room' for the rest of the night - this was done promptly after my call. Staff said they did not know how it had been overlooked (it had been made - how is that overlooked). Was disappointed that they did not even offer a small discount for what we were put through.

We got to park our car there for 4 nights free of charge. We got in late at night and were allocated a room that was quiet. staff were excellent and very helpful. Breakfast was very good, it set us up for the drive home.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Too crowded and noisy, need to paid yellow bus which visits every hotel before arrived our hotel. Some part under renovation, the room is far away and tired to get there with luggage

Near the airport, hotel arranged and paid for the yellow bus to the airport early in the hotel

• Standard Twin Room with Two Double Beds

The buffet dinner, I think it needs a major change to have to pay $41...

The breakfast buffet was fresh and catered well for different people. I really thought the buffet dinner was over priced for $41 and the food didn't look very appealing.

The prices for the food were a bit high.

The beds were very comfortable, the room was well equipped, even a decent hair dryer, and the food was very acceptable.

• King Room with Pool View

It would be better if the pool is heated, more breakfast variety and the coffee cups need scrubbing. They look clean but when you hold them you can feel they have not been scrubbed. I have tried several cups but they’re all in the same condition.

We had an excellent time overall. Your hotel is child friendly. Stay and eat free. On our last day Easter Sunday, you gave Easter eggs to kids. Friendly staff. TV has a lot of child friendly channels. Very peaceful and relaxing place.

The bed was super comfy, The Restaurant had a great selection of tasty foods, The Rooms were quiet with the considerate signs up in the corridors, Perfect location to/from the airport. Welcoming, Friendly Staff :)

• King Room with Pool View

A nice hotel to stay in if you want to be close to the airport. Is not much else around the hotel and you need to use a taxi or the shuttle to get to the actual airport. The shuttle works fine to get to and from the airport and is cheap. The restaurant and bar was nice with good food and some local beer to try out.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Pool area is a bit like a fish bowl with lots of non sunbathers sharing the courtyard. I think that works against using the pool without some reservation about being on display.

convenient with airport bus running right up to reception. Value for money car parking whilst away for a fortnight was the clincher!

• King Room with Pool View

The price of $570 for a single room, older style was very high. Top dollar for this room would be half what they charged

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Seemed to be one problem after another...no pool towel, no a la cart menu in restaurant, very long delay on food delivery, noise, unhelpful staff (except manager who got to know me well).

I got plenty of exercise because of the number ot times I had to go to the front desk to complain about different things

Room assigned was not what we had originally requested. Manager made up for it by providing us with complimentary dinner. Very nice!

Hotel manager went out of his way to please us.....thanks.

• King Room with Pool View

The room is a little tired but all in all not too bad.

Great location near airport but really quiet and spotlessly clean., it also has good links to motorways. with Auckland City Centre only 10 mins away. Our room had 2 Queen sized really comfortable beds, tea and coffee making facilities plus fridge. Ladies, great hairdryer, toiletries, iron etc. Breakfast was really great, eggs cooked to order and all the staff were so helpful and friendly, a big thank you to Angie who works in the restaurant she is the best. Big plus was the free parking, quite a few of the local motels charge for over parking. And the most useful thing for travellers from over seas a huge luggage scale in the foyer to make sure your luggage is not overweight, what a great idea. Would definitely stay here again.

I didn’t like the piece of leftover pizza in our fridge from previous guest when we arrived, and paying $25 for a chicken pizza that had only 3 small pieces of chicken on it. Unable to order anything other than pizza as gas wasn’t working.

Shuttle service a disgrace. Bus late and over full. No hot food available something to do with the gaz had to go out of the hotel for food. Swimming pool full of teenagers jumping in and making it impossible for other guests to use it. No supervision in 3 hours I was there. No bottles of Tonic available in the bar. Just about the worst hotel I have stayed in in years.

Not a lot

Everything from entrances to car park, food,views,pool area,gym, most of all the staff was awesome. Loved our stay would definitely go again..Thank you

• King Room with Pool View

the location is a bit far from the city but we had no other choice as everything was sold out in the city. other than that, no complains.

staff were extremely nice. they offered me a free coffee once i checked out and thanked me for staying with them. very nice people!

• King Suite

The price at $650 per night was extortionate for a very basic hotel very rough around the edges. This is the most I have paid for any room any where in the world. Limited availability in Auckland is clearly being exploited judging by the room cost. I may have book only a few days before arriving, which I often have to do in other countries, but never have I been charged such a ridiculous room rate.

Not a lot

• Standard Twin Room with Two Double Beds

It's our first day in Auckland, and since it's our first time driving on the right side, we chose Auckland Holiday Inn, it's near the airport! I like the staff in the restaurant, they are so nice and cute, and the breakfast is yummy!!

• Standard Twin Room with Two Double Beds

Being called multiple times to ask if my room service meal was ok in the middle of trying to eat it and then while trying to sleep.

Very comfy, great friendly staff very accommodating.

The layout makes it hard to find rooms, it feels like a maze. The bathroom was fine, but there was no plug for the bathtub. The price was way too much for such a simple service. I don’t want to stay there again

Convenient for airport, there is a bus that comes every 20 minutes between domestic and international terminals.

When I booked I requested two single beds if possible and reception appeared to not get the message, so we did not sleep great sharing a bed for a 3am wake up to catch our flight. Also as we booked online and breakfast was included even though I did not pay until arrival and I advised we would not be there for breakfast they did not take this cost off which being a mother of four and borrowing money for this trip was a little hard to swallow.

The room was lovely and clean and comfortable. Everything was easy to get to. The food at the on site restaurant was AMAZING! I had the steak and I love steak and it was just sensational. My brother also stated that the salmon was amazing!

• Standard Double or Twin Room

After many years staying in this hotel, this is the first time I have been required to make effectively a credit card deposit. I realise that this is a common hotel practice, but there has to be a nicer way of hotels achieving protection against account "escapees".

I have stayed here many times in the past, but this my first since the major decor upgrade. It is now a bright refeshing image and a definite improvement. At the time of this visit the main bar was still under refurbishment, but will be ready for business very soon.

The restaurant was really expensive and had OK food but not the standard for the price. The hotel is undergoing major reno and that was an eyesore but I felt that it was overpriced for the hotel. There was a shuttle but not free and it took a long time so for 2 people it was worth the price of a cab. Room was fine but halls were very dark. Won't stay there again.

Very cold in dinning and foyer. Mold on ceiling above bath. Only 4 little milks. Only one normal breakfast tea bag. Fruit was very sub standard for breakfast. Towels small and thin.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

There was nothing within walking distance, I felt unable to simply go out on foot. The yellow bus from airport took ages to trawl around the hotels. Overpriced relative to what I have paid for better hotels overseas.

The room was large and comfortable.

No concerns

Easy to get to from airport by rental car or shuttle Service from all departments excellent Choice of food for all meals Ease of getting on to main travell routes and within 30 minutes of all Auckland tourist spots/harbours.

The level of renovations going on at the time could have been made clearer. There was a statement on the booking but some work was still ongoing despite it suggesting it should have been finished already.

Staff were super friendly and welcoming. We were put in the quiet wing of the hotel and we were certainly not disturbed.

Staff were all happy and so willing to help. Breakfast was yummy, loads of choices. The spa bath was just what we needed before our very long flight home.

The main meal I ordered came to my table with cold mashed kumara, not what I would expect in any restaurant, and the chef should know better. Were the plates warmed prior to being dressed with food?.

The rooms were a lot bigger than I was expecting. Beds were very comfortable. Definitely value for money. For the disaster with my main course the head waitress removed the cost of my drinks from the bill as compensation.

Roadworks going on around it and on expressway made it difficult to get to but thats not the fault of hotel and is only temporary.

Proximity to airport, 24hr gym

Should provide the free pick and drop from Airport as like most of other Hotels do. because the hotel is not at Walking distance from Airport

The Room were Ok and Breakfast was better. The Staff was very friendly.

• King Room with Pool View

Dinner buffet not great food, no seafood, desserts and other dishes not great. Breakfast buffet could be improved. Could cook fresh eggs on demand, poached, scrambled or omlette.

Proximity to airport, beautiful garden setting, modern and comfortable, beautiful restaurant setting, goid vending machine, pool was lovely. Staff very friendly and helpful

Currently under construction of what promises to be a beautiful decked area around pool. I was disappointed because it was hot and I would have liked to swim.

Veth spacious room with everything I needed.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The only reason we stayed there is because they advertised they had an airport shuttle. Yea the public bus. Unbelievable! $400 for not much.

Not much

I tryed ringing reception, restraunt, and room service from my room over the coirse of 1hour no one answered this was a huge dissapointment other then that everything was perfect.

N/a

From the start staff were fantastic!! House keeping, Marieta, helped me out so much. Offered to look after my 12mnth baby well I organized myself. The team in the cafe/restaurant amazing!!! Thank you to everyone; we'll definitely be staying here again in future

The pillows; the fact that the TV had a very limited range of channels and would not recognize my USB drive to watch my own movies; no barbecue or other cooking facilities.

• King Room with Pool View

On arrival Bed linen looked dirty. Replaced immediately Number of people using mobile phones in the restaurant One young lady walked into the restaurant on her mobile. She was accompanied by another young lady (they were not speaking to each other). The phone user continued while they were sat at their table and even when the waiter took the order. They both got up to go to the Buffett. Miss Phone still on it talking rather loud at times. Even when she was selecting from the buffet she was still on the phone. Only when she got back to her seat did she stop using it. However 5 minutes later it started again. The fact there were only 10 people in the dining room probably enhanced the sound. We left shortly after and had coffee in our room. This is only one example maybe the extreme but it is time. Restaurants and other public places made it compulsory not to use mobile phones. I will think twice before visiting Holiday Inns

The bed was a little too bouncy, which was noticeable when my wife or I shuffled around (jet lag affecting sleep). The price for one night is way too high.

The staff made the stay extremely pleasant and the breakfast was amazingly good.

The McDonalds rubbish left in the room by the previous guest, the completed guest card left in the room. The extremely over priced buffet dinner, dont eat there, very expensive and not worth it.

The room was large and well appointed. It was quiet and had a good vibe to the place.

• Standard Twin Room with Two Double Beds

Unfortunately there were building works going on. Had to pay for shuttle service to and from airport.

Staff were really friendly and helpful. Great facilities and close to airport.

• King Room with Pool View

Booked a room with pool view - when arrived we were hidden around the corner from the pool so payed extra $ for nothing. Fridge was off when we arrived so took hours to start. Very small fridge. TV remote didn't work unless standing in front of it. Adult movies far too accessible for children! Accidentally clicked wrong button and showed us something we didn't want to see!

Comfiest bed and pillows - room service was yum

• Standard Twin Room with Two Double Beds

The building work wasn’t quite finished, but it didn’t affect us, it would just have been nice to see the finished article as the work so far was excellent!

The friendliness and helpfulness of the staff. Couldn’t fault them from start to finish!

• Standard Twin Room with Two Double Beds

We just stayed overnight for an early morning international flight and it was all easy with the shuttle direct from hotel to airport terminal for only $6 per adult/kids free. There is a ping pong table/kids games room, as well as a free pool table in bar area which was great for entertaining kids. Good food in the restaurant for dinner and breakfast early at 5am was great.

• King Room with Pool View

If breakfast had not been part of our room rate, we would of stayed elsewhere.

Good coffee, loved the range of cuisine for breakfast, lots of variety so everyone is catered for. I liked that it was inclusive for our room rate.

Pool was quite small and restaurant was super even for airport hotel.

Property was relatively close to airport. Friendly staff and nice by. Room was huge with nice bathroom. Shuttle ran every 25 minutes but 6 bucks per person each way, but tix ahead at machine nearby.

• Standard Twin Room with Two Double Beds

Room very pleasant,beautiful garden,good food,personel very friendly.The Hop On Hop off bus comes pick you up from the hotel to sightsee Auckland.Wineyard to visit nearby at 30 min. walkingdistance!!!

• Standard Twin Room with Two Double Beds

Everything was amazing, the rooms were awesome, the cleaning was excellent, staff in the dinning room was so helpful & friendly. Christmas morning breakfast was special having place names, Tablecloths going that little bit extra made it personal for that day. My mokopuna enjoyed the pools, the games room was great, the food excellent. we travelled as a whanau of over 30 we booked 8 rooms & we thoroughly enjoyed our time staying at the Holiday Inn..

Restaurant could be better tasting food for lunch and dinner.

Room is spacious and well appoinyed. Wi-Fi is excellent. Bed comfy and bathroom is clean. Gym was quite good.

Ventilation in bathroom and for cultural reasons we don’t use water from bathroom area a complimentary bottle of water to start us off would be great for drinking and cups of tea

It was really quiet in the rooms and surroundings

• Standard Twin Room with Two Double Beds

I requested a late check out as our flight was the following evening, this was done very easily with then staff at the hotel. The front desk was very helpful in organizing a shuttle to the airport.

Everything was excellent

Apart from very nice and calm facilities the buffet and breakfast were excellent. Friendliness of staff was also noticed. Holiday Inn in orher cities in Australia for example seem to be at a high standard too.

My meal was a great disappointment, but my husband really liked his. The staff did give me a compensatory glass of wine, a nice touch.

Very comfortable bed. Liked the quiet zone.

• Standard Twin Room with Two Double Beds

You had to pay for the airport shuttle and it made multiple stops on the way to the airport. It still worked out, but you just have to plan for t taking a bit longer.

It was a nice hotel close to the airport. It had a beautiful courtyard!

• Standard Twin Room with Two Double Beds

The hotel is under construction. See above.

The hotel is under construction. This was not visible when we booked through booking. Chaos, noise and reduced service. Not acceptable.

Building currently under construction and looking very tired. Common areas needed vacuuming during the day and room service trays left outside rooms for long periods.

After 30 hours of travel I just wanted somewhere to sleep. My sleep was disrupted because my room was right next to the Gym, and sometimes I could hear the equipment being used, and people talking. I was also woken at one stage by some kind of announcement.

The grounds are beautiful. I loved the huge mature trees. The grounds and gardens were all very well maintained and the ponds were lovely. The room was very comfortable. The staff very friendly and helpful. Very attractive hotel with good facilities.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Restaurant not at my taste (almost no vegetables served with the lamb, additional vegs not cooked)

Close to the airport Large room Guest laundry available

The bed in my room was so uncomfortable as the mattress sunk in places. There was no water in the fridge During the night there were loud banks on the ceiling A few doors down a group were so loud we could hear every word, scream and swearing that would curl your hair None of the restaurants were open

The breakfast was great and very well presented. I ordered a Ceaser Salad and it was the best I ever had - my compliments to the staff that prepare the wonderful food.

First impression at check-in was not as welcoming as many other hotels I have stayed in. I am reminded of the old maxim "First impressions are lasting impressions".

Room was good

• Standard Twin Room with Two Double Beds

The loud booming music all hours of the night, noisy hallways, cold undercooked buffet for dinner and breakfast, no hot pool , will not stay again. Only nice thing was soft pillows. will not stay again.

The interior of the room was worn and the bedding looked dirty, as the hotel is currently undergoing extensive refurbishments I imagine that they will do the rooms up. As there were a lot of guests it was quiet noisy for most of the night.

The staff were lovely, accommodating and friendly. Parking right outside our room but the car park was very narrow and there were a lot of guests staying.

Some other guests were noisy in the corridors late at night - not a fault of the hotel staff though obviously!

Friendly staff, good location, easy to park. Tasty breakfast. The room was spacious, clean and well presented.

Browse Holiday Inn Auckland Airport traveller photo gallery