Reviews of Distinction Wellington, Century City Hotel 4.5 stars

70 Tory Street, 6011 Wellington, New Zealand

#20 of 54 hotels in Wellington

• Studio with City View

On the Saturday evening - very noisy guests on the floor above and next door who did not respect the suggested times for quietening down.

This is in an excellent location so close to excellent shopping and entertainment, museums etc. Comfortable with easy access

• Standard One-Bedroom Apartment

View from my room was directly across to the multi story carpark about 2m away. Fortunately I was there for work and was only in my room after dark so had the curtains pulled across. If I had been there during the day and wanted to open the curtains I would have been very disappointed. On the upside - it was quiet!

Spacious unit, lovely comfy bed and pillows. Staff friendly and helpful. Excellent central location and has parking in adjacent carpark building.

• Standard One-Bedroom Apartment with City View

Dirty sheets on the bed. They hadn't been changed from the person who slept in them before. It was revolting and I have never stayed in a hotel where I have pulled back the top sheet to find traces of the previous sleeper including hairs on the sheets. Will never stay there again!

• Studio

Ordered breakfast for the morning and while out at dinner a paper bag was left in the fridge with "self service" breakfast ie 2 pieces of bread wrapped in glad wrap + 1 small butter+2x small container of jam etc NOT what I would expect from a quality establishment. The compendium showed the pool hours as 6.00am - 11.00pm. When I checked just after 9.00pm was very abruptly told that "It closes at 9.00 but they haven't changed the information in the compendium yet". Only small things but enough for me to decide not to stay there again.

In general terms the room was well appointed but there were several annoyances ie fridge door hinged on 'wrong' side making it difficult to access as table was located adjacent. Table also made it difficult to access wall heater. Staff on arrival were very pleasant and helpful.

• Studio with City View

Based on the existing reviews, we probably ended up with a lower end studio, whereas we had booked a Studio with City View. It was nothing like the images listed here on Booking : Very little space to go round the bed, no armchair / sitting space, and the entrance door was just by the side of the bed which meant much more noise and light disturbance coming from the hallway. Probably bad luck compared to other customers then, but fairly disappointing.

Excellent central location. Bed was comfy and bathroom was functional even if it had seen better days.

• Superior Two-Bedroom Apartment with City View

Dirty carpets and the shag pile rug, not really suitable for public use. But they were being replaced throughout the whole building, just not in our room yet. Nothing else

Bed was the best and the pillow perfect, didn't want to get up! We were up graded as carpets were being replaced throughout the building, but hadn't been done yet in our up-grade, they were pretty yuck! Great view, quiet, plenty of space.

• Standard One-Bedroom Apartment

The room, was so dark couldn’t open window because of next building was so close and the smell from the car park...... lucky it was only one night in that room .....

• Studio

Great location. Friendly and helpful staff (I left something behind and the staff when called about it went and checked for it, called me back and forwarded it to me). Extremely clean. Great value for money.

• Studio with City View

The room no air conditioning very small no vent in shower all the steam went through the room no room to move the pool and gym times where wrong in the book I went down stairs to get the keys in my togs only to be told they hadn’t updated the book in the room the room was very cluttered

The staff

• Studio

Great value for Money - Spacious - Very Clean - everything we needed was in place Loved the Balconies from Lounge and Room Outdoor Furniture would be good

• Studio with City View

1. The shower head was great as it had different levels of use for soft, rain and massage 2. being in the city i did not even hear the traffic 3. I would totally recommend to all

• Superior Two-Bedroom Apartment with City View

The quality of our room for the price we paid. The carpet was filthy with stains, when our room got serviced, a new toilet roll wasn’t replaced so we had to make a special trip to reception to get one. We used the plunger coffee on our first 2 mornings and then it was never replaced. Nothing major but it was more the inconveniences when you have paid a high price for our room.

Liked the location without being right in the cbd, but close enough walk to everything. Staff were super friendly & lovely.

• Superior Two-Bedroom Apartment with City View

We booked the hotel for the pool, but we're very disappointed about the pool, first we couldn't get a key to it for hours then we had to walk out in a cold car park down stairs to found a very disappointing pool- that we only every went to the once

Room was lovely clean and very comfy

• Studio

As a first time user the explaination of entry to the parking was a little ambiguous. In particular the entry to the hotel parking and the box for the swipe card entry needs to have clear signage. The room had old stained carpet around the kitchenette area which was disappointing

• Superior Two-Bedroom Apartment with City View

the furniture in the living area & the carpet in particular were very tired, in disrepair & marked - this was disappointing & definitely did not give a good first impression

beds were comfortable however the second room was not made up into single beds for our kids as we have expected. the location was excellent & in walking distance to all that we needed to do. apartment was also very spacious

• Standard One-Bedroom Apartment

Couldn't connect to the WIFI. Bed dipped in the middle. Was strange walking through the car park building to and from the swimming pool.

Location was excellent. Car Park easy and reliable. Staff friendly and helpful. Room modern and conservative. Clean and tidy. Loved the apartment style. Very quiet. Shower was great.

• Studio

I have stayed at this hotel a few time and was disappointed with the rooms on this occasion. Typically I have had a street view whereas this time our two rooms had views of a building and a carpark (about 2 meters away). Room was super muggy and didn’t want to open door due to carbon monoxide from carpark building Room 510 had a bathroom like an old hospital and the carpark needs replacing.

• Standard One-Bedroom Apartment

Getting up and down to the car parking

The convenience to all the local cafes/bars/restaurants, it suited well as we celebrated a birthday night on the town. Room was of a very high standard both in comfort, decor and cleanliness. Would definitely recommend

• Superior Two-Bedroom Apartment with City View

When we arrived the first room we were booked into couldn't be described as a 'superior 2 bed' and extremely small for 4 people. The carpet was very stained and the dining furniture torn/grubby looking. I asked to move to another room which was much bigger and although the carpet was stained in places it was a marked improvement. Apparently the carpets are gradually being replaced but it wasn't mentioned in the room description when we booked or reflected in the price!

The hotel is in a great location. The reception staff were very helpful and allowed us to move to another room plus arranged to change bed configuration in one of the bedrooms. The suite was very clean with plenty of towels and everything you could need for self-catering.

• Standard One-Bedroom Apartment

The view was a concert wall which was very disappointing, you had to keep the curtains closed at all times, you could at least paint the wall with murals. I felt I got ripped off paying $280 to look at that wall. I won’t be back.

• Standard One-Bedroom Apartment

First room we got put in was in the middle of the building looking at a concrete wall! Would have thought because we were a 3 night stay that would have been put into a room with a view! Yes I know that 'Home Grown" was on the same weekend but as I said I was there for 3 nights. As I am in the touristy/hospitality industry in Franz Josef Glacier so I am not embarrassed to ask for things! So I asked to be moved to a room with a view which luckily a room was cancelled that morning so everything worked out perfectly. But if the room wasn't available I don't think I would have been so happy! Concrete room was very claustrophobic for my liking. Other than that great stay! Thank You

Fantastic Spot!

• Studio with City View

So close to where we needed to be. Amongst a great supply of shops and restaurants. The layout of the room was really nice & the balcony just added a perfect touch which made a big difference. Good facilities, comfy bed and pillows. Would definitely stay again!

• Standard One-Bedroom Apartment

Carpet was stained on arrival and upon further inspection found that some dishes weren’t even washed, so we cleaned everything. Room service didn’t arrive ‘til late in the afternoon, even after calling for cleaners so we did it ourselves and just ended up with fresh towels in the end.

The reception staff were really friendly and helpful.

• Studio with City View

I didn’t like how you had to use your key for the power to work, there were stains on the floor and all over the wall, looks like it hadn’t been cleaned in days.

• Standard One-Bedroom Apartment with City View

Room was noisey for. outside street noise, and I was on the 8th floor. Carpets in the room were filthy, lots of stains. Bathroom faucet was broken. A very sterile hotel room. Very overpriced. Not a proper hotel reception.

Good central location

• Superior One-Bedroom Apartment

The room was filthy - stains on carpet, leather sofa was filthy, tiles around bath are mouldy, pubic hair on toilet seat. Sheets on bed clean but otherwise, the room felt dirty and it was difficult to relax.

Our room wasn't ready upon arrival and the desk staff was very helpful and phoned us to let us know once it was ready.

• Superior Two-Bedroom Apartment with City View

The rooms were a bit too warm with no air conditioning opening the sliding balcony doors was not a great option as this let in too much street noise through the night.

The location was very central.

• Superior Two-Bedroom Apartment with City View

I would like to Thank You your staff, who offered EXCEPTIONAL customer service. The accommodation was a surprise for our mothers 70th birthday. Location was spot on - and the room was just terrific, although the lightning was a bit of an issue, as you didn't have the option to dim the room , or only have part of the room lit and the other part not. As an added suggestion would be great to perhaps have a lamp in the room - as we found if quite hot when the lights were on for a period of time. But nothing could really be faulted - had a terrific time. We had other family members who stayed and staff were so accommodating to book them across the hall way from us, even going above and beyond to find a better deal. Now that to me demonstrates exceptional customer service. Please pass this feedback on to your staff. They have done you proud!!

• Superior Two-Bedroom Apartment with City View

Cleaner staff did not do a good clean job on my bed, entry into my room while we are sleeping. Duty manager (Chris) call you and knok you door around 5 in the morning, told there was complaint about noise, till he found from the person made complaint that was the next door, was not come from my room. we are so disappointed about he is un-professional interruption.

Not much, expect location of the hotel.

• Studio with City View

Parking was abit of a struggle, had to pay $20 for an overnight pass to the hotels reserved parks or else park in the public

Central to everything in the city everything was a few minutes walk away such a great spot, the hotel room was very clean and tidy, spacious for me and my partner, lovely view from the balcony out to the city, wouldn’t of chosen anywhere else.

• Standard One-Bedroom Apartment

I loved the central location as it was so close to everywhere I needed to be. Beautiful well appointed apartment that allowed us to prepare a light meal meaning it was a budget friendly option as well. Affordable parking ($6 daily flat rate) next door was the icing on the cake. Highly recommended stay & will be back.

• Superior One-Bedroom Apartment

The superior one bed apartment was dark and the view was into a Carpark with no privacy. For almost $300 a night I was very disappointed that my view was a dark car park. That wasn't what I booked from the images.

Location was great. Very close to city

• Superior Two-Bedroom Apartment with City View

It should tell you on the website that the pool is situated away from the hotel. Also when you check in they should tell you that you need a special key to use the pool

Swimming pool is at the end of an underground car park. I was not told that there was a special key even though the day before I had asked what time the swimming pool was opened so could not go as I ran out of time. I would have to go back to reception then walk back to the pool so I was quite annoyed

• Superior One-Bedroom Apartment

Room was hot and had no aircon. Carpets were stained and furniture was grubby oversized and tied. Staff were dismissive of an early request for a room change.

Great location. Quiet room, good bathroom and a comfortable bed.

• Standard One-Bedroom Apartment

The room looked nothing like the photos, carpets were disgusting, view was the wall from the car park. Couldn't be moved to another room, was charged for the room before I checked in

Close to Courtney place

• Studio with City View

Can't say there was anything I didn't like. Maybe having my room off the main corridor was a little weird, but, it was so quiet, nobody walking pass your door, so to each his own.

Bed was very comfortable. There was everything you needed if someone was in the room more than I was. Could watch TV in bed, there was a kitchenette, table and chairs. A balcony! That was an unexpected bonus. The bathroom was spacious and a travellers needs were well catered for.

• Superior One-Bedroom Apartment

The shower over bath screen doesn't stop the water from going all over the floor. There was a long black hair on the clean towels.

Great location. Modern inside. Comfy feeling

• Superior One-Bedroom Apartment

The room I booked online didn’t match the room I got put into and there was rubbish left out on the balcony probably from the previous tendants stay and few small stains on the carpet.

Great facilities

• Studio with City View

It was difficult to load and unload luggage from the car when it was in the parking garage. Staff were helpful in working out how to do it.

Hotel was very well located. Room was clean and well presented. Hotel had a pool, though we ended up not using it.

• Superior One-Bedroom Apartment with City View

Was hard to find the place as we were looking for distinction and only saw century hotel signs. Wasn’t until a few drive bys we saw the small sign above door. Once we were there though, we had a lovely stay for our honeymoon.

• Superior One-Bedroom Apartment with City View

Had a room on the bottom floor, I felt like people could see in my room while the curtains were open. Need better air con in room.

Great location, staff are friendly and efficient and rooms are nice and tidy. A+

• Standard One-Bedroom Apartment

On arrival, the staff were extremely helpful and friendly. The room was a bright, modern and well equipped apartment. The hotel is located just a few minutes walk from Te Papa museum.

• Superior Two-Bedroom Apartment with City View

The room was not clean upon arrival. Marks on the walls stains on the carpets and chocolate on the floor of the balcony.

The beds were very comfy, the location was perfect and everything that was in the room was good.

• Studio

we were allocated a room that unfortunately had smelt of cigarette smoke and as we are non-smokers we notified the duty manager who was most obliging and shifted us to an upgraded room that was very pleasant and appreciated.

a good comfortable bed and suitable facilities, staff were attentive and happy to assist where needed ,we left some possessions in the room and they were couriered to us on request. All in all a pleasant stay.

• Studio with City View

Very clean and very comfortable, we didn't really interact with the staff much but, checking in and checking out was a breeze. Would defs stay there again!! There's a dairy right next door and the location is great!! Close by to the city and walking distance to everything.

• Studio with City View

Waited ages for lift as when it came it was always full of staff with cleaning items (5-10 mins wait). Need a separate facilities/staff elevator. Room hot and stuffy as no air conditioning.

Excellent bathroom and products provided in bathroom. Room so convenient and close to everything. Bed comfy but no options to upgrade to a larger bed ie King/Super King.

• Standard One-Bedroom Apartment with City View

No air conditioning & too noisey at night to leave ranch sliders open. Only one fan provided. Stains on carpet in living area & hair & dirt in bathroom on floor between washing machine & wall

Location great

• Superior Two-Bedroom Apartment with City View

The apartment was a bit tired, the carpet was grubby and there were marks on the walls. Very warm nights and no aircon made for an uncomfortable sleep. There were two plug in fans but they were circulating warm air. It didn’t really feel like we were staying in a hotel of “distinction”

Location and staff were great. Room serviced to a high standard daily.

Air conditioning in room

The place was spotless and a great location.Liked the 11am check out and that I was allowed to leave my luggage in reception after I checked out till I left Wellington.

• Standard One-Bedroom Apartment

No AC! Lack of air flow as had to have patio door open which let in a lot of street noise

Location was good. Staff friendly and seemed willing to help

• Studio with City View

Bathroom had a lingering odour, small standing fan not really sufficient - had expected to have ac/heat pump unit or something similar.

Good location close to Courtenay Place for dining etc

• Standard One-Bedroom Apartment with City View

No air conditioning: it was boiling hot in Wellington and fans don’t help a lot. It was very hot and uncomfortable during the day.

The staff was very helpful and the apartment was very nice. The service was great !

• Standard One-Bedroom Apartment

At the start it was a staff member, she made me feel like I was on the wrong place, but later on she became more friendly

Was a great experience as a mother of four, to be able to put my feet up and relax, I loved the room,the bath was great as I only have a shower in my own home

• Studio

We stayed for 2 nights and our room was not serviced after the 1st day - no adjustment to price offered. Carpet in room very tired and stained! After staying several times in this hotel, only once have we been given a room on the street - something I will be requesting if we stay again.

A comfortable room - but a few extra coffee mugs wouldn't go astray.

• Superior Two-Bedroom Apartment with City View

We were in an apartment but it was missing utensils and cookware. It was very hot and humid without air con.

The location and comfy beds. Staff helpful in providing missing room items and fans.

• Superior Two-Bedroom Apartment with City View

The kids single beds were way to small for anyone over 10 years old they have one two seater couch for 4 people and the rooms are almost to hot and stuffy to sleep in no aircon just two cheap noisy fans for the money they charge its not worth it

• Standard One-Bedroom Apartment with City View

The location of the Hotel was excellent so easy to get anywhere. The bed was very comfortable and there was a nice feel to the place. Overall it was excellent and we really enjoyed our stay!

• Studio with City View

The carpet in studio was quite stained and it was off putting. Ranch slider door needed better insulating: a better seal - when it was closed could hear the wind whistling through it.

Location is excellent. Parking on site was easy. Staff were generally lovely. Comfy bed.

• Reviewed: 15 December 2017

• Studio with City View

That we were unable to stay longer this visit.

The hotel is very central, an easy walk to great restaurants and the waterfront. It was surprisingly quiet at night so we slept well in a comfortable bed. Great to have onsite parking. The room was light and airy and had good lighting. We were greeted warmly by staff and able to check in early.

• Studio with City View

It's a very noisy place to get a room particularly on a Fri/ Sat night as people are very noisy on the streets

The young guy on the counter was awesome, so helpful

• Superior Two-Bedroom Apartment with City View

They were amazing! We’re awesome to deal with with my 101 questions answers made my life easy made checking in & easy out! 10/10 would stay here again fanatic!!

• Superior Two-Bedroom Apartment with City View

The only issue is the noise on the weekend from people walking past on the street below from the near pubs bars. The building is not very well sound proofed. If you are staying on the weekend get a higher floor room or room away from the road. This is the same in most CBD hotels so not a reflection on this particular hotel.

Great central location with parking building next door, an easy walk into town. Roomy apartments with well equipped laundry and kitchen facilities.

• Studio with City View

I had major problem with the internet connection . It didn't connect and ended up draining my phone data dramatically

Just the whole atmosphere was clean and tidy and very nice

• Studio with City View

Upon arrival I was actually really upset with the fact that our request we had put in prior to our booking hadn't been taken into consideration as the receptionist had told me there was no note at all however the request was on our booking and she had read this out to me. That was the first time my partner and I had seen each other in a very long time and I was hoping to make it extra special for us and when I had told the manager about it, the facial expression I had got back was that he didn't Care much about it and the only thing he could say was that he was sorry and the hotel doesn't provide alcohol which I'm aware of now but it would have been a lot better if I was told prior to my arrival so that I could have done it myself. With that being said there was nothing done about it or to make up for it, simply a couple of words and that was it. I love coming to wellington and distinction is always my go to place and I have stayed here multiple times and this was a let down for me.

The bed was really comfy and the location was perfect. The receptionist was very lovely and the service of the room on our stay was always so clean and prompt.

• Studio

Opening the curtain in the room to have a view of a car park building. It would have been appropriate to be advised either when booking or checking in that what the view was or upgrading on checking in.

• Standard One-Bedroom Apartment

No instructions on using the stove top, The vinyl couch it was not comfortable

The room was spacious and had all the "bells and whistles" it was lovely and quiet

• Superior One-Bedroom Apartment

Room was dirty, mirror in the bathroom was broken at the bottom. Lots of marks on walls and hairs in bed. Mattress uncomfortable but the worst part of the room was that it backed directly onto the carpark I couldn't open the blinds as the ranchslider literally opened onto the carpark. The screeching car tyres kept me awake until the early hours of the morning. There are better options in Wellington.

The Wi-Fi was good and the location handy to where I was working for the weekend.

• Studio with City View

Rooms needed good clean, carpets stained, toilet surrounds dirty, glass boulstrade needed good clean could hardly see out of it.

Location was great and bed was very comfortable, staff were friendly.

• Studio

Hotel very noisy and too warm. No view on our room at all and definitely could have been cleaner.

Location was fantastic. Close to harbour, Te Papa and National War Exhibition. Close to bars and restaurants.

• Studio

The balcony was a shared one so you could walk up and down whilst going past other people's rooms. No air conditioning in the rooms and it got very hot. We didn't feel comfortable leaving the door open at night due to the shared balcony.

Great location- Walking distance to cafes, restaurants and main attractions. The room was as expected for the price we paid and was quiet.

• Superior Two-Bedroom Apartment with City View

Room not particularly well cleaned or well maintained. Carpet needs replacing . Leather couches looked dirty, tried to wipe marks off myself and they wouldn’t come off so much be general maintenance/need replacing. Initially we were put into our two bedroom apartment and it was so small. It had two single seater lounge chairs and only three dining chairs. We are a family of 4 and Intended to spend evenings in relaxing with out kids. Not enough room. Thankfully when I discussed with reception she came and looked at the room and agreed it wasn’t suitable and swappped us to a room that had a 3 seater couch and chair, along with dining table and 4 chairs.

REception staff were very helpful. Especially in regards to changing Our room and letting us check in early.

• Standard One-Bedroom Apartment

Leaky toilet in bathroom, and noisy floors in corridors with women walking up and down in high heels on tile floors til late.

Comfortable and clean rooms, good parking.

• Superior One-Bedroom Apartment

Microwave is located to high, fridge door opened the wrong way for the kitchen. Ran out of hot water the first night. Didnt like the showee over the bath, get a flood in bathroom. Lounge suite needed replacing. Should have been told it was a no view room. 20.OO For parking should be stated and its quite a distance.

The bed was lovely and comfey

• Superior Two-Bedroom Apartment with City View

This was a $400 plus a night apartment that slept four people that did not meet price expectations by a long shot. The lounge seating was for three people, we had four people? The tv channels were very limited, expected all sky etc... The balcony was absolutely filthy, regretted going out in bare feet! The lounge suite and dining chairs looked like they needed a good clean. There was scuff marks on walls and marks in carpet. The single beds were really small in width. The noise down below was horrendous till all hours of the early morning and then the rubbish trucks started...hence not a lot of sleep. Don't think I would book here again :(

Location and parking was good. Went to town the morning we checked out and was allowed to keep the car there at no extra cost which was great! The check out fellow was really nice.

• Studio with City View

Room was booked months early. Room was described as "Upper Level's" with "City Views". Upon check in our room was on Level 1 with only a view of the Harvey Norman Carpark. Throughout the night we were subjected to the noise of boy-racing cars and rubbish bins being emptied at circa 4am; all accentuated by the lower level room!!

Good location of Hotel.