Reviews of Copthorne Hotel Wellington, Oriental Bay 4.5 stars

100 Oriental Parade, 6141 Wellington, New Zealand

#7 of 54 hotels in Wellington

• Deluxe Harbourview Twin

Décor/furniture just a little dated.

We has a deluxe twin room, very spacious, and clean bathroom. Had a fantastic view of the harbour, and when doors shut very quiet. The bed was super super comfy. The hotel in a fantastic location, have to pay for parking but worth it for the least hassle and its valet parking. The furniture in the hotel is now getting a little dated, but the room was still very nice. The staff were friendly and helpful. We had breakfast included and there was a very good buffet put on. I would stay here again.

Room was extremely overpriced for where it was situated! For the price I think a waterfront room would have been a given. It was also next to a staff room so extremely noisy at all hours of the night. $30 for parking is quite expensive for it to be outside in an unsecured carpark.

Bed was comfy, breakfast selection was fantastic, bar staff were friendly. Location was good.

• Deluxe Harbourview Family Breakfast Included – Family Package

They left my room open after cleaning it for over an hour while I was out, anything could have been taken. Staff blocked our wedding car in & had to reset room key numerous times

• Deluxe Harbourview Double

Despite the room being generously sized, the television was positioned on the wall opposite the bed. As there was only one easy chair in the room, the bed had to double as seating. However, we requested an extra chair to be brought in, which they were happy to do.

The room was spacious and tastefully decorated, and the view over the bay was magnificent. Oriental Bay is a lovely part of Wellington in itself, where you could easily wile away the hours in a delightful waterfront setting, but this hotel's location has the added benefit of being within walking distance of many of the popular Wellington attractions.

I think this is just an individuals preference. The pillows where hard.

The location is fabulous with a great view over the harbour. Easy walking distance to Te Papa and the CBD. The bed was comfortable and the breakfast was very enjoyable with a great selection of yummy food.

Car park view from room considering the price paid. Not great value. Bathe was old and small. Carpet a bit worn near bathroom entrance.

Room and decor were pretty good.

The armchairs were not very comfortable in the rooms. So to sit and read in them was no good I thought. So a couple of comfortable chairs would be a great improvement

Rooms were great lots of space fabulous bed. The pool and hot tub in the exterior area was a great benefit especially after a day out exploring. Great location walk into the main auckland shopping area. Local bus gets you there too for $2.

Having to track through the dining area to get to the 8th floor felt a bit intimidating when first arriving as we arrived at dinner time but got over it once we got to our beautiful room

Views were beautiful and staff lovely. Loved the close proximity to museum and city

Booked a room that was supposed to have a spa but didn't it didn't have one. Staff made it right in the end but was a huge disappointment to get to a room after along day of walking and expecting to have a nice relaxing spa but didn't happen

The staff were amazing

• Superior Harbourview Double

Unfortunately there is no sound proofing so we heard guests doors being knocked on, alarm clocks going off, conversations in the corridor and other guest walking across their floors. The bed seemed to be pushed into the the corner and the bathroom was tiny. The decor looked tired and ready to be updated. Rather disappointed with the “balcony” which was standing room only.

The staff were very friendly and helpful. Rooms were clean & tidy and the heater worked a treat. The location was awesome with a great view of the harbour. Easy walking distance to the cbd and short trip to the airport. Due to lack of sleep we didn’t make breakfast so unable to comment on the food.

Very comfortable bed, and perfect location for a visit to Wellington. The hotel is only 10 minutes by taxi from the airport, many of the rooms have stunning harbour views (ours didn't this time), and it is 5 minutes walk from Te Papa and about 10 minutes walk form the centre of town.

Bed mattress was too soft. Long way to reach room (two elevators and walk with luggage thru restaurant

Location was perfect. Staff was exceptional friendly and helpful

Breakfast dining needs to improve. Cold water in tea urn (wasn't turned on), slow toaster (wasn't turned on!), chipped cups, sour milk (blamed on supplier - perhaps the kitchen staff should read the date on the bottle), cracked handle on milk jug.

Location, ease of access, views,

• Superior Harbourview Twin

I had booked for a room on levels 5-8 and was told that this was exactly what I would get (in writing) roughly one -two months in advance. On the night I got there they put me in level 3, with really bad views of the sea (two massive trees blocking it) and loud traffic noises; there were carpet stains, one of the beds was extremely lumpy and the bathrooms looked nothing like the pictures (extremely old!). I was only going to be there for 2 nights and had booked ahead, excited for my trip. I was told by the manager/staff on duty that night (mark?) that they didn't have any rooms left. I felt really disappointed! I mentioned this and was ignored. They literally lied to me - so beware. The manager Mark (I think it was mark?) was the worst and made me feel extremely uncomfortable, enough to want to leave the hotel that night! The following day the manager on duty then, rectified this and put us in level 6 as per the original plan. That room was what I had booked - modern bathrooms, excellent views with no obstructions and no loud traffic noises!! If my booking was made correctly in the first place, my stay would have been 10/10 and I definitely would have come back/extended my stay. On that note, the room service brought food up from the restaurant and it was delicious! Very friendly restaurant and bar staff.

• Superior Harbourview Double

We were celebrating our 26th Wedding Anniversary on the weekend of our stay and it was a lovely surprise to find a complimentary bottle of wine and a card in our room on our arrival. The buffet breakfast was excellent and the food was freshly cooked and hot.

• Superior Harbourview Double

The bed was extremely comfortable. I looked forward to going back to sleep in the bed every night! The view from the room was excellent. The hotel room was clean. The best part about the hotel was the staff. The manager Alex was great. Mitchell also, he gave really good food recommendations which we appreciated. I would definitely recommend this hotel. I was attending a conference at Te Papa Museum and it was about a 5-minute walk away.

• Superior Harbourview Twin

Location was good, within walking distance from the museum and a very short drive from the zoo, and we ended up being able to park for free across from the hotel, which was a nice surprise.

• Superior Harbourview Double

The hotel is excellently located for visiting Wellington's wonderful Te Papa museum. It is a pleasant 3 minute walk away, around the harbour side.

• Deluxe Harbourview Double

There were not enough/thick enough blankets which meant I was cold throughout the night. The heating system was broken too which meant I had to choose between no heating and it being freezing cold or super hot at 25.5deg with no setting in-between possible. Very uncomfortable indeed.

Loved the view from my room. The staff were friendly. Convenient to town.

Parts of the hotel are starting to look a little tired and many of the communal areas were not heated adequately. I was disappointed to be allocated a room overlooking the street when my other colleagues were allocated rooms with stunning sea views and we all booked and paid the same amount, One of my colleauges along with me had a room facing the air conditioning units. I little disappointing when we visited our colleagues rooms to find they had amazing views of Oriental Bay!

The room was clean and bed very comfortable. The hotel was located very close to Te Papa Conference Centre.

• Deluxe Harbourview Family

Such a comfortable bed and love looking out over the harbour to the city; fantastic whatever time of day it is. The family room is perfect for three or four.

Our room was a very long distance from the lift which made it difficult as I have fatigue problems and low vision. Thought the room had a better view.

I loved the comfy bed and pillows. The bathroom facilities were very nice too.

1. Wi-fi was good - when it connected! I had problems entire stay. 2. I kept having to get my key card activated - not a big deal but annoying

The room layout was great, beds comfy. Service was prompt and friendly. Excellent location - walking distance to cafes, restaurants, Te Papa, museum, supermarket ...

A bit upset about the hair drier was not supplied because it was showing included on the website.

The room was really clean and the bed was comfortable

• Superior Harbourview Double

The staff member on duty when we paid our bill could have been more friendly and did not ask about our experience of the stay .

The bed was lovely and comfortable. The view from the room was beautiful especially at night-time. The breakfast was very good with plenty of choice.

• Deluxe Harbourview Double

My husband and I had three nights at the Copthorne. It has a fabulous location within walking distance of the city and all it has to offer. The rooms are spacious, clean and comfortable. The breakfast has a generous offering and it is lovely to look out at the city before you start the day.

My credit card was charged with the accommodation fee the day before we arrived and a week later it still has not been reversed. Not knowing that the card had been charged we paid the fee again on leaving the hotel. So, we have paid twice. When phoning re this we were told that it would be reversed in a couple of days. A week later still not happened.

Comfortable room; good views over the city and part of the harbour.

I initially booked the superior room which didnt have aircon, felt dirty and musty. The hotel thankfully upgraded me (at a reduced cost). I was far happier in the front part of the hotel, overlooking the bay. The hotel staff were very accommodating and this made me much happier with the situation.

The Deluxe rooms are far better and definitely worth the price difference.

• Deluxe Harbourview Family

They added a payment hold to my credit card for the full accommodation cost prior to check in (without informing me). Then also asked for full payment on check out (so I was double charged). Numerous days later the payment has still not been removed. Very unimpressed.

• Deluxe Harbourview Family

Was a bit tricky to regulate room temperature at night...even tried turning off unit all together...but this is a common problem in hotels...we survived! Wished there were on demand movies or a few more channels...Haha

Very comfy bed. Family room configuration is PERFECT! Staff were lovely and accommodating, moved us without question when I raised concern over being right in front of elevator. Night manager happily charged my big camera battery at 6am when i was in lobby chasing sunrise photos! Complimentary bubbly delivered just after arrival for our anniversary was SUCH a great gift!! Room clean each day was thorough and above average. Block out noise from street below was surprising. Only wish there was gym/pool onsite for kids & hubby, but not a huge drama. Thanks for having us...will definitely recommend...

• Deluxe Harbourview Double

Friends of ours were staying at the hotel also, it was my birthday and his. They had their room upgraded and got free parking due to it being their birthday... when I told reception my 40th was the reason for our stay the lady didn't acknowledge it...

I love the location of the hotel and the bed was super comfortable! The balcony although small was also a bonus.

• Superior Harbourview Twin

The towels were pretty worn

The bed was amazing and the pillow menu an extra luxury. The welcome from reception and room service staff were super friendly and helpful.

• Deluxe Harbourview Double

The bed was amazing, so comfortable. And the view was stunning. Decor was also modern and nice and staff super helpful. They could help us with toothpaste at 11pm!!

• Superior Harbourview Double

We had to queue for breakfast along with folk who were not guests and I think guests should go first, this was a let down.

The room was comfortable and lovely view of Wellington waterfront

• Superior Harbourview Twin

Decor maybe a bit tired, could do with a refurb, no air conditioning in room

Unbelievable view, handy walk to so many places, very comfy bed, very friendly helpful staff

No bad comments to be had at all

Excellent service. Staff very helpful and friendly. The free upgrade was a pleasant surprise. Breakfast was lovely and we will definitely be back.

• Superior Harbourview Double

A salt and pepper shaker with breakfast would have been appreciated. A tea towel in the room would have been helpful.

The bed was very comfy and the room warm. Loved the view.

Random smell in the bathroom from the drain.

Close to the waterfront, close to cafes and supermarket and walking distance to town. Comfy bed with great views.

• Superior Harbourview Double

The evening meal at the restaurant (steak) wasn't of the quality the price reflected.

Breakfast buffet was excellent, staff friendly and helpful, room comfortable.

The location was fantastic we could walk to everything because it was so central. The room was very clean and the staff were very helpful and friendly.

Upgraded to seaview room however only 1 bed. Son had to share with us. Parking expensive. Hotel holding fee of $100.

Comfy room with sea view. Breakfast included in price. Friendly staff.

• Deluxe Harbourview Family Breakfast Included – Family Package

Small paint chips on dark furniture could be touched up now and that would make the polished wood panels look new as well as some touch up of the white on the walls before it is too late. Just a recommendation not a complaint from an ex hotelier.

Extra comfy bed, reception staff great attitudes and friendlyness, room service spotless. Access was very good at entrance for Taxis to collect, good visibility from reception area. Lovely ocean views over marina from room.

• Superior Harbourview Double

Vegetarian dinner options. As with most of NZ only one vegetarian meal offered, so no choice.

The view from the room was stunning overlooking the harbour and marinas. The room was very generous with a comfortable king bed. All facilities were of a high standard. We were able to walk along the harbour boardwalk to the Museum and Cable Car, which was extremely enjoyable. Our meal in the restaurant was large and very well presented.

• Deluxe Harbourview Double

Free wifi very slow, aircon a bit noisey but I would stay here again

Great location and views. Nice big room. Very comfortable Booked well ahead so got good rate.

• Deluxe Harbourview Double

The fact that we had only one dining chair. One of the lifts was out of service and it was virtually impossible to use the stairs - not good if there had been a fire

The size of the room was great

• Superior Harbourview Twin

i thought i was booking a room including breakfast it wasn't till check out that i found it did not include breakfast the reduced they rate but still not happy as i would not have had breakfast everyday in the restaurant at $22 per person per day if i had known - will definitely check my booking confirmations correctly next time

bed was amazing, loved the views and location

• Deluxe Harbourview Double

Stayed one night in a deluxe sea view room.. room was excellent, lots of space and amazing views. We also had an excellent breakfast delivered to the room - on time and delicious.

Room 921, bed clean and comfortable but small. Didn’t have sound sleep

Flexible staff, enabling us to leave car parked at hotel on departure date while we could spend the morning in Wellington

• Deluxe Harbourview Double

The restaurant food and service was the worst we’ve ever experienced. The evening meal was less than pub grub! The breakfast was terrible, in fact we couldn’t even eat it and went to a nearby cafe for breakfast which was outstanding and cheaper than the hotel.

The room and location was lovely.

• Superior Harbourview Double

Our room was not easily accessible. The window in our room was nailed shut, obviously broken .

The location, the reception staff and porter were very friendly and competent.

I was disappointed with the breakfast. We arrived at 9am and there were far too many items that had run out by the time I got to the buffet breakfast bar. My view is that whether you arrive at 7am or 9am you should all receive the same choice.

• Deluxe Harbourview Double

Nothing really, all very much as expected.

All very good, staff very friendly and helpful. Comfortable bed, breakfast great, had a lovely dinner in restaurant on one of the evenings! We were having a weekend away to celebrate my friend's 65th Birthday and the staff gave her a bottle of bubbles ... which was a really nice surprise!

Bathroom was a bit tired. Would have liked complementary water in rooms and nicer coffee. No turndown service at night.

Location was perfect. Room size and view was wonderful.

• Superior Harbourview Double

Breakfast wasn’t great value for money and breakfast manager wasn’t very friendly at front of house. Probably need to make the cost of parking clearer at point of booking. It was reasonable but it is nice to know before you turn up.

Lobby staff very friendly. Very comfortable and clean rooms with phenomenal views of city and harbour. Excellent location within walking distance of all attractions, shops, restaurants.

Disappointed pool closed down (it was advertised, and was a reason for our booking). Sharing the public pool is not quite the same. Also- inconvenient shortage of cups and glasses. No milk in fridge for cuppa.

excellent spacious room. Sunning views. Easy access to waterfront, and town.

• Deluxe Harbourview Family

Don’t think the room was worth the money at all, it was called a family room but didn’t even have a sink apart from the one in the toilet. One chair at a little table. If you’re staying with your family go find something for cheaper

• Deluxe Harbourview Double

Great location with super views from the Ocean View large rooms. Close to the main shopping and eating but not part of it. Wellington is picturesque and the view from the room highlights this.

• Superior Harbourview Double

I would have requested a room overlooking the bay on floor 7 if I had known that part of our view would be blocked by the hotel on floor 10. The bath towels were tooooo small, we had to request bigger towels.

The room and view. Staff. Location to everything.

• Superior Harbourview Double

Room well laid out with great harbour view. Very comfortable bed, especially after choosing feather and down pillows option. Friendly staff. Good base for walking to a lot of city locations.

• Three-Bedroom Apartment

Better equipped kitchen ie glasses, cooking utensils and pots and pans. Would have liked a room on a higher floor to enable a better view of the harbour

Great water views of the harbour. Walking distance to attractions and city centre. Washing machine and dryer in kitchen.

I tried to use the disabled car park as I am an incomplete tetraplegic and use a motor poured scooter,if I drive in one way my passenger cannot get out, the other way since I need extra space the car is miles out from the wall. By a long way your disabled park would not conform to standards.

• Deluxe Harbourview Twin

The pool wasn’t open and we didn’t know about this in advance, the kids were really disappointed about it

The bed was very comfortable and the location was excellent

• Deluxe Harbourview Family

Arrived at reception, right from the get go one or two of the staff came across unfriendly, i was told there was an additional cost of $100.00 on top of the cost of the room (which I would get back if no damage to the room)- when in the information booklet in the room it states there is a $50.00 charge if using your credit card, and in the lobby it says 2% charge if using CC, no mention of $100.00 if paying cash - have never had this at any other copthorne hotel before, I questioned why as it wasn't in there policy or mentioned when the room was booked the reception ladies had no idea why it wasn't in the policy & couldn't really give me any clear answers when I was questioning them - perhaps the copthorne need to look into adding this into their policy so people aren't hit with surprises. It really did make the first impression of this hotel a not so good one. Check in time was 2pm, room was not ready until just shy of 2:30pm. The room is in serious need of a deep clean, there is wonky cupboard doors, scratches and paint peeling, the bathroom is fairly grimey, net curtains have mud/dirt on them. I ordered room service, where I got a burger with a side of fries, I only got SIX chips - may I add they were very undercooked and not seasoned. Then it took them from 6pm until 9:30pm to collect my empty tray from the door which I'm guessing was only taken away because I ordered more food so they had to come up to my room. I added the prices of the food + the room service delivery fee & (probably not a big deal) but they charged me $2 extra both times. The hotel & restaurant are very cold, only seems to be heating in the rooms. I ordered an desert dish to be sent to the room, no worries, was good UNTIL i bit into it to find nuts all thru the ice cream which was not stated on the menu & no mention of nuts in it - which could have been a disaster for someone with allergies!

• Superior Harbourview Twin

The bed was average, the towels were very small and the duvet on the bed was very thin. The bathroom was tiny and dated.

The staff were very friendly and engaging. The view from the 9th floor was very good.

• Superior Harbourview Double

Staff could have been more interactive and helpful on the front desk. Would have likes a couple of small plates in the room. Nothing to put any snacks on to have with cuppa tea. Would have like tea cups as well as mugs.

The bed was super amazing - comfy. View was great.

That there was a function on that night and we would have like to have been in the restaurant. the staff were very kind and made up a table for us in the bar area because it was my birthday and we had wanted to have dinner at the hotel. the meal and staff were lovely. They even made a plate with Happy Birthday on it.

Kind friendly staff who also upgraded my elderly parents who accompanied us on our trip to Wellington

Our ferry was cancelled. When we looked for an extra night to stay there was only the possibility to stay at a rate where we had to pay 50% extra. Very disappointing. Parking along the street was 50% cheaper than at the hotel.

• Deluxe Harbourview Family

As a family we were disappointed our tea/coffee tray was not refreshed each day when the room was serviced and neither was the complimentary milk.

Beds were super comfy and the room was very quiet considering we were right on the road front. Very close to everything restaurants, museums etc, lovely walk along the water front.

• Deluxe Harbourview Family

We ordered room service numerous times in the one night we stayed. We ordered desert amongst those numerous times and one of the deserts that got given to us was still rock hard frozen in the middle it was a real put off. Like we know that these things aren’t always made fresh to order but when you get it frozen it’s quite off putting. We also could have done wth more milk as the little milk containers given wasn’t enough for two people if you want more than one hot drink. There wasn’t much to choose from in the mini bar either.. would have been nice to have snacks in there if we were a bit peckish.

I liked the family room we had booked it was nice and spacious.

• Deluxe Harbourview Double

One of the PowerPoints in our room was coming away from the wall. Might pay for the hotel to check these sorts of things as could be potentially a safety issue.

Dinner in the restaurant was delicious and presented well. Staff in Reception, bar and restaurant were friendly, receptive and accommodating. View from room balcony was fantastic.

• Superior Harbourview Twin

Bed felt absolutely heavenly for the first 2 nights but by the 3rd night had a sore back due to it being a little too soft for me. Also if chairs were updated / recovered, the deteriorating age of the room decor would not have been so obvious.

closeness to the city and supermarket. View over city & harbour. Bathroom was updated and fresh. Didn't experience any sound issues from neighbouring rooms (always a plus)

• Deluxe Harbourview Family

View is amazing, central location, staff were excellent very friendly. Rooms were smallish but nicely proportioned. A good solid clean tidy place to stay

Breakfast.

Everything was very comfortable, the staff were the most helpful we've encountered anywhere in the world, great location & views, walking distance to delicious restaurants, interesting museums, main shopping district & markets.

The baked beans were interesting however I would have preferred plain baked beans. Unfortunately the zip was not turned on so there was cold water until staff turned it on.

Buffet breakfast with lots of choice.I liked how staff came to table amd poured coffee for guests . I liked the pikelets and maple syrup.

Our room didn't have air conditioning although it is advertised as having air conditioning.

Well positioned hotel for Oriental Bay and City. Good restaurant and bar facilities.

Browse Copthorne Hotel Wellington, Oriental Bay traveller photo gallery