Reviews of Copthorne Hotel Palmerston North 4 stars

110 Fitzherbert Avenue, 4410 Palmerston North, New Zealand

#32 of 49 hotels in Palmerston North

Based on 2032 hotel reviews

• Standard Double or Twin Room (External Building)

Easy to find, central location, warm comfortable room, great price and included breakfast, we were upgraded from the original room we booked so our whole experience exceeded our expectation

• Standard Double or Twin Room (External Building)

The woman on reception in the restaurant was far more interested in answering the phone calls rather than dealing with the customers lined up waiting to be seated. She left them waiting.

Being upgraded to a room in the main block.

• Standard Double or Twin Room (External Building)

The menu in our room looked incredible but when we went downstairs to eat we were shown to the buffet... We weren’t sure how to ask for a cooked dinner instead as it was a bit awkward by this point...

Location Service Cleanliness

• Standard Double or Twin Room (External Building)

Its my first time to Palmerston North and I will be back again and will not be looking elsewhere. I will stay at Copthorne only. I love the room is comfortable and can relax nice tv with nice amenities . Shower room was nice a tidy with everything needed. All staff were very friendly and helpful. I enjoyed the breakfasts included and the restuarant. Thankyou so much for great service . See you all again

• Standard Double or Twin Room (External Building)

We were very happy with our accommodation for the three nights we were there. Very close to the city and the unit we stayed in was very clean & comfortable.

• Standard Double or Twin Room (External Building)

discussing poo all around the bowl of the toilet, broken door lock which left the room unsecured. floors not vacuumed, furniture broken. Quite Shocking experience!

The Beds where comfortable

• Standard Double or Twin Room (External Building)

Shower was hard to get in to, door opened inwards and the gap too small to get in and then close. Also turning the shower on was difficult because of how the door opened

location and cleanliness

• Standard Double or Twin Room (External Building)

The entire stay was great. First time at Copthorne PN. I was put in a lovely quiet room as requested. Inside, the heaters had been keeping the rooms toastie warm. It was immaculate, bathroom amenities were brilliant. Lovely staff at reception and in the dinning room.

• Standard Double or Twin Room (External Building)

Not a complaint - but an observation. Great heater in the room, but could be turned down a tad. Even though it was a cold wintry night, we turned it off and had the window slightly opened - which was more comfortable, temperature wise.

The location was good as it was near The Square and opposite PaknSave. We only stayed one night. Initially booked the room in the external building but was upgraded to one of the rooms in the main building. Thanks very much for that! The beds were super comfy and very clean. Breakfast was included - a mixture of continental and cooked breakfast available. Very friendly staff at reception.

• Standard Double or Twin Room (External Building)

sadly we had to tell the front desk that the shower plug needed cleaning. However the rest of the bathroom was immaculate.

The facility was really good. My husband and I enjoyed the experience and it was good value for money.

• Standard Double or Twin Room (External Building)

Nothing, it was all great

Started at check in. Friendly, fast and informative. An upgrade was offered but I declined as I needed to park my vehicle and trailer unit safely and close to the room. My request was accommodated. Then came the room. Extremly comfortable with everything we needed. The bed was so comfy, everything clean and well presented. Nice and quiet.

The room was immaculate & the bed was extremely comfortable! The breakfast was excellent, great value for money!! Only a 5 min stroll to the square.

• Standard Double or Twin Room (External Building)

The duty manager when i checked in didnt charge me the correct amount for my room when i checked in, this led to some confusion when i checked out to pay my room service - she might have been new so it wasnt too much of a big deal.

I loved that they upgraded my stay - i really appreciated it and thought the room was lovely, nice view and easy to get into with the key card instead of actual keys. bed was super comfy and I had one of the best nights sleep while on the road.

• Standard Double or Twin Room (External Building)

Our bed was poorly remade made both mornings; looked alright but when pulled covers back the bottom sheet had not been straightened and lots of wrinkles of under blanket remained. In our room. No easy chair to sit and relax in. The chairs were nice but not for relaxing in

The bed was very comfortable. Stylish décor . Great parking. Excellent value buffet or a la carte breakfast. Free newspapers

• Standard Double or Twin Room (External Building)

It was clean and welcoming. The staff were very lovely and made sure we were well looked after. This is our second time staying & will be back again.

• Standard Double or Twin Room (External Building)

TV remote didn't work. Driveway could be better lit at night for pedestrians.

The shower was great. Easy access for people with physical problems. Close to town centre.

• Standard Double or Twin Room (External Building)

Our room was not part of the main hotel building and was like an old motel room. However it was a good price, could park right outside the front door and was OK for one night.

The restaurant (Jimmy Cooks); the dinner was excellent and reasonably priced. The same applies to the breakfast.

• Standard Double or Twin Room (External Building)

we stayed in a room of external building. sound proof is very poor. can hear people's conversation outside of room very easily. same as hear the noise of car when they drive pass

very comfortable bed. room size is good and also clean the best part of this hotel is location. but good value for money as the special rate was too good price.

• Standard Double or Twin Room (External Building)

Perhaps if they had asked us if upstairs was ok or if they had said I are single beds ok we could have responded . But the staff were polite and very nice we did not want to make a fuss.

Breakfast great. Coffee purchase great. My husband and I would have preferred a double bed. We are 73 Upstairs was ok .but my husbands feet not as gd . I know we could have asked to move but ..

Unfortunately our room was on the 1st floor facing the entry to the hotel. It was rather noisy hearing people coming and going until late hours.

Fantastic location, very close to shops and transport.

• Standard Double or Twin Room (External Building)

Single bed for corporate booking- old motel type unit for accommodation rather than Otel which was selected in booking by corporate travel.

Bathroom was in need of a good clean/ bleach. Mouldy shower tiles.

• Standard Double or Twin Room (External Building)

Was not what I expected. Felt a bit mislead by the pictures. Did not stay in main hotel. One of the lights was not working, window above door allowed light to flood in room entire night, uncomfortable bed, And security camera was visible the entire time. Bathroom was very very dated. Have paid less for a lot more in Palmy. However staff were friendly, breakfast buffet was fantastic and having free wifi was definitely a plus, really important for my work to have.

Location was great.

Asked for partial room service never recieved it, had to ask reception for clean towels. Night meal almost finished main when veggies bought out.

Great meals, comfy beds, great staff

• Standard Double or Twin Room (External Building)

I found the people upstairs, Seem to be quite noisy You could hear them having showers etc. Also for some reason one of wheels Keep falling off. We did mention this

• Standard Double or Twin Room (External Building)

Room was very cold smelt like mould out dated bathroom beds were super small car parks were small people were double parked

Room smelt like mould was cold beds were super small very out dated

For our purpose as a one night stop over it was adequate. However the restraint was in absolute chaos. Very slow but food was quite good. Room was decent size. But their was something about the property that was odd which we could not put our finger on. All in all we rated 3.5 out of 5

• Standard Double or Twin Room (External Building)

The bed was one of the most comfortable beds we have ever slept on. Location was so close to city centre and there is a bar and a restaurant if you don't want to go out.

Our room had a leaky roof and with some rain overnight it developed a loud drip from 3 am - so didn't get the sleep we were after!

Comfy bed. Super dark curtains. Handy location to walk to town. Breakfast included.

fantastic Hotel wonder why we have not found this one before. Comfy bed, fantastic breakfast and the staff go out of their way to make your stay enjoyable ( not always the case in Hotel Chains) Will definitely stay there again.

The rooms had no Air conditioning so if it had been summer it may have been hot.

I expected a hotel that had seen better days but was pleasantly surprised by the standard and condition of Hotel and rooms.

• Standard Double or Twin Room (External Building)

I didn't realise when I booked that we booked an external room, however on arrival they informed us that we had been upgraded to a superior room, bonus! The room and breakfast we got were fantastic value for money with the upgrade, however this rating is based on the upgrade not the external room we originally had booked.

• Standard Double or Twin Room (External Building)

Should be area for smokers to go had people talking and smoking outside our room at 2.30 am we were in an external block. Room not vacuumed well behind cabinets. In need of repair and up grade.

Location was good bed very clean and comfortable.

• Standard Double or Twin Room (External Building)

The bed was on the hard side a little, and i could hear the neighbours loud conversations outside as the sound insulation in that section of the motel wasnt the best - i think if they provided earplugs just in case that would be a good improvement. Other than that it was good.

Excellent service and friendly staff. The breakfast was really great, good hot food and buffet style - coffees were bought separately but the barista was really good. The bed was on the hard side a little bit but overall it wasn't uncomfortable! Good room temperature and the bathroom was clean.

• Superior Twin Room

The single beds and small bath were not expected when paying $199 per night I don't think it is good value I expected more for the price.

It was close to town clean and comfortable

• Standard Double or Twin Room (External Building)

Probably because of the price, the room was in one of the outer buildings. It has seen better days so needs a good revamp. I wouldn't like to stay in the room on a hot day as there was only a desk fan to cool the room.

The location was great and everything we needed was within walking distance. Parking was available almost outside our room. Breakfast was included in the price. The bed was large and comfortable.

• Superior Twin Room

All good! Except they told me I couldn’t run on the treadmill at 5:30am. Said it was too loud and I asked “did a guest complain” she said “no my boss downstairs can hear it” I was like ummm okay I’ll do the elyptical. Lol. But the woker was VERY nice about it. No biggy. Just not sure why they brought it up if a guest didn’t complain. Also if you’re fitness center is on the second floor maybe have better structure or support for it?

Breakfast yummy, beds comfy, able to crack the windows in the room, which is nice for a cool breeze :)

• Standard Double or Twin Room (External Building)

Dated bathroom with cobwebs on window opener. Door lock didn’t work had to slam the door to ensure it was locked

Bed was comfy, good size room, staff friendly . Good location to access city centre and university

• Standard Double or Twin Room (External Building)

I was not happy to see a hair on the toilet seat and hair in the shower. Some plaster board coming off the outside of the shower.

Nice comfy bed, shower had great pressure.

The shower was disappointing as my husband is disabled and he couldn't use the shower and they didn't have any disabled rooms in the hotel. They described the room as a walk in shower but there was a step into it.

The room was lovely and clean and the bed was comfy. The restaurant had great food too. The staff were helpful.

• Standard Double or Twin Room (External Building)

Dirty cups. Shower had been cleaned but the product left on which made the tiles extremely slippery when you stepped up into the shower. Lucky my partner was there to catch me or there would have been a nasty accident. No toilet brush. 2 single beds pushed together to make a king size bed. Unfortunately there was a hard ridge down the centre of the bed, so not comfy and they started coming apart during the night. Little bits of rubbish on the floor.

The locality is good. Close to everything.

• Standard Double or Twin Room (External Building)

Felt unsafe in the shower being tiled, had to step-up and there were no grab-rails. Wonder why when the 'green' label requesting only towels on floor need replacing that even the ones we had hung up were replaced, but the rubbish bins were not emptied. No complaints - just wondering why bother with label if not adhered to.

Had trainee at reception who was extra careful to get the room we wanted - but was not expecting given we had a two-nights for one deal - as the rooms were still being cleaned when we arrived. Bar staff were excellent too.

Hotel exterior dated. Use of warm/ cool lighting together in rooms unattractive from outside

Clean, great value, great room service serving great meal. Request for a balcony room was met

• Standard Double or Twin Room (External Building)

Hotel also owns motel on property. Our room was in there. Room not as nice as pictured. Shower old and small. Water pressure low in motel part. Lighting in the room was not the best.

Good breakfast. Big room. Comfy bed. Lots of parking. Lots of windows. Really good value.

Clean rooms with windows and a view Complementary wifi perfect for travellers Excellent location Very friendly and helpful staff Comfortable beds

The room service seafood platter was overpriced and gross. All it was, was a bunch of deep-fried seafood with a batter that was way too thick and chips with aioli. No lemons or tomato so it was just creamy deep fried yuckiness. Also very overpriced at $28, couldn't even finish 1/2 of it before feeling sick. Do not order and I recommend Copthorne alter this platter or remove it.

The room was warm and welcoming with a lovely bed. The atmosphere of the lobby was relaxed and professional. The restaurant Jimmy Cooks was excellent at dinner time and the breakfast was delicious. A very clean hotel with great facilities. A great central location and is nearby everything you could ever need. Parking is nice and close. They also have an extensive cocktail menu which was quite impressive. The biggest cocktail menu I've actually seen. Overall recommend!

Cleaning products used in room affected our allegies (strong smell etc. when we entered). Water pressure very low - shower not ideal. Breakfast not very nice.

Comfortable bed. Location

• Standard Double or Twin Room (External Building)

Fresh sheets had hair in it. Got upgraded to a room with twin beds when I ordered a double. No bath and no air conditioning. Just a plug in small desk fan.

The bed was comfy. Location in town was great. Staff lovely.

• Superior Twin Room

Room turn down wasn't that great. They didn't replace our dirty coffee cups and put more sugar/coffee/tea in the room. They also took our opened shower caps but didn't replace them. Didn't take used towels either. Wifi was patchy.

Staff were really friendly and helpful.

• Family Room

There is nothing to fault here. And trust me - we travel often with 3 children under 7 and this has got to be the best value for money, quality, service, privacy, relaxing.

Wow the bed! So glad we made the rest stop booking at this hotel. We stayed in a family room which was not apart of the hotel but did not disappoint at all! All the perks of a hotel Room but with privacy and space for little ones to be little ones. Did I mention the bed! -wow. Very helpful and friendly staff!

The whole setting is a bit odd, with the feeling of the hotel being set on a council block, as it's surrounded by smaller blocks of flats. The room service menu was a bit limited, and not of a high standard. The pillows in my room were a quite old and needed to be replaced.

The hotel is nicely presented in the foyer, and the rooms are spacious and fitted out well. There is ample parking.

Room was a little small but totally adequate for a few nights stay. No sink, microwave plates etc.

Free parking, close proximity to town, buffet breakfast was delicious, friendly staff, comfy room, free wifi which worked well.

We were told that we would need to pay $35 for early check in at 1 2pm . However when we arrived the room we had arranged to have early check in with was not ready. This was one room out of three rooms we booked. Naturally we did not pay the extra fee. However two of the rooms had been made ready in the normal rotation so we were able to use them. We felt concerned about the attempt to charge extra when we had booked so many rooms. The receptionist when we arrived was pretty off hand, however dealing a the desk later on the staff were very good.

We took a cheaper outside room which while old was more than adequate, being warm and having good sized comfortable bed. The difference in price made it really worth while.

• Standard Double or Twin Room (External Building)

Room was noisy, we were near the lifts, also noisy guests. Breakfast a bit hit and miss. Tea and coffee from a machine, and we were unaware that we had to order eggs, we went down for breakfast just gone 9am and there was little left.

Bed was comfy

• Standard Double or Twin Room (External Building)

The floor could have been vacuumed a little more thoroughly. Me and child got bitten on feet from either the carpet or the king bed as we both slept there.

Loved the location as it was so close to fast food outlets and mall

Was not impressed with the lack of privacy and safety shown for my friend staying down the hall from me. Considering a staff member let someone into her room who did not carry a key for the room. (thankfully it was another set of friends). This all happening while my friend was sleeping and completely unaware of who was being let into her room without her consent. Very worrying Considering it could have been anyone.

bed was big and comfy.

A little disappointed that the room service staff let people into our room without our consent. They were our friends that were staying at different hotel but my partner and I were sleeping at the time to be woken up but our door being opened and lights being turned on. Definitely a breach of privacy. Luckily they were our friends but it wouldn’t have taken much for someone we didn’t know to be let into our room while we were sleeping. Not good enough.

• Standard Double or Twin Room (External Building)

I did order a double bed but was given a room with two singles. I did try to change it on the website - but couldn't. No dramas on that score though.

Within walking distance to the city shopping area. No traffic noise.

• Superior Twin Room

It seemed to be very warm in the Hotel and for me I found that too cosy. I slept with the windows open to take away the heat.

A really good selection and everything at the buffet was to my liking. I didn't eat everything but very yummy. Thank you !

nothing at all

we were lucky enough to be upgraded,and what a great room,the hotel is only a block away from shops.our room was so clean,really good shower,would always stay there again..

Was upset as we booked and the email that was sent to us see breakfast included and when we went down we just told we had to pay for it and it was around $20 a head. Our room wasn’t serviced .

Great room and viee

• Standard Double or Twin Room (External Building)

The outside is debatabely a bit tired but not a big deal

We arrived and had a free upgrade to a much bigger lovely room. It was a great place to stay and quick walk to town. Loved it

Friendly staff at reception. Allowed me to have a hour extra for check out, which made things a lot easier for me. Bed is comfortable and room is clean. Location is very convenient, and near to shopping and restaurants.

• Standard Double or Twin Room (External Building)

Room was a little warm but the aircon is never going to suit everyone

We were upgraded on arrival which was a pleasant surprise. Bed was very comfortable. Staff were friendly and happy to help with any request. My partner had an extremely bad toothache - staff assisted with finding nearest A & E and taxi's to and from.

• Standard Double or Twin Room (External Building)

False advertising on your website. Our accommodation was a 1970s motel room in a car park on the entrance driveway where half the power points in our did not work. The photo of the new high rise on your website is misleading and deceptive.

Nothing,

Shower pressure wasn't good, it only dribbled out which made having a quick shower a long one. Also, there were about 4 light bulbs blown in the room.

Like the linen used on the beds.

• Standard Double or Twin Room (External Building)

Our only issue was we had to wait 45 minutes for our meal when there was only 3 other couples in the restaurant. when we asked what was happening we did get an apology and our meal duly arrived. Our meals were beautiful.

• Standard Double or Twin Room (External Building)

The bed was great :-) We were originally booked into a standard double room, but when we checked in, we had been upgraded to a superior room. The new room was on the 6th floor. It was great. It also gave us extra exercise by choosing to use the stairs.

• Standard Double or Twin Room (External Building)

Golf passes were not available, because they took off that promo long ago. Even though it was listed on booking.com :(

Felt like an actual great hotel experience rather than those bed and breakfast type classless places, where people just put up properties because they've got four-walls & a roof.

• Standard Double or Twin Room (External Building)

no microwave,toaster,sink to wash dishes, plates ,knives + forks,found pubic hair in the shower and the bathroom floor,,each time the doors shut from other rooms you could hear especially late at night.the bed was hard the pillows were like sleep on a log.

definitely the location

The above.

The bed. But not the bath/shower combination. The side of the bath is far too high to be able to get in and out safely. In fact I consider it dangerous

• Standard Double or Twin Room (External Building)

Room service food below average, could definitely be improved, but service great

Comfortable, clean, friendly hotel, good value breakfast in restaurant

• Standard Double or Twin Room (External Building)

Nothing particular. Perhaps there could be heated towel rack in the bathroom to dry the towels.

Checkin was very welcoming and we were upgraded to superior room. Room itself was nice, clean, spacious. WiFi had a good connection. Extremely nice selection of teas in the room. Also existence of gym well appreciated. Supermarket is just across the road. hotel itself sort of 5 minutes from the main square.

• Standard Double or Twin Room (External Building)

Please chill out and let the diners enjoy their meals together The bathroom was an unusual space which didn't work for us Shower hard to adjust and no basin plug !

The meal was excellent but felt we were being hurried as the plates were taken away before one of the group was half way through the meal Shame as this didn't feel like a relaxing meal at all

• Superior Twin Room

The breakfast buffet was good, a part from the scrambled eggs that tasted like powdered eggs. The room gets very warm and there is no air conditioner.

Had the most amazing sleep! The bed was super comfy and made it feel like home.

Nothing not to like

The bed was very comfy. The staff were very accomodating. We needed an extra park for a ute and trailer and the staff sorted it out for us. All around a very good experience and I would stay again.