Reviews of Distinction Hotel Rotorua 4 stars

390 Fenton Street, 3010 Rotorua, New Zealand

#65 of 88 hotels in Rotorua

• Superior Room

the room we got this time was on the ground floor very close to the reception. we got woken up by the very noisy tourists talking full volume and dragging their s.uitcases along the floor at an early hour

we love the pool and the spa spools. breakfast is always great.

• Superior Room

Our room was way too hot and we couldn't cool it down without opening the windows. There was a thermostat on the wall that showed 30 degrees of heat but I don't know if that was the problem when we first entered the room as we couldn't find a vent. We turned that off and put the ceiling fan on, which stayed on the whole visit and the windows had to be opened at night.

The vicinity of the room to the Bar, Restaurants, Pool/hot pools underground and playroom. Bar meals were excellent and staff very friendly. Kris the Manager in the Bar was really accommodating.

• Deluxe Room

Perhaps a kids cartoon TV channel would have made the place even better for the little ones.

I really liked the classical and classy style of the hotel in general, TV screen was bigger than in most hotels, swimming pool was warm and lovely, plenty of parking space, excellent location away from the city noise but still a short drive to most places in Rotorua, a refreshing view of colourful trees and mountains that I enjoyed looking at from the window, very delicious breakfast buffet. I loved staying in this hotel.

• Superior Room

Breakfast had only one set of cutlery and no extra bowl for cereal. Bed was to bouncy and the room was in poor condition and needs a total makeover.

• Superior Room

Small cups,glasses,tv didn't fit surrounds,no toaster,Small fridge.Sauce with fish dinner was sweetmayo instead of tartare.

Comfy bed, balcony on sunny side, views,plenty of towels.

• Deluxe Room

Only thing I can think off is maybe a couple of complimentary biscuits to go with the tea and coffee.

Comfortable beds and good to have chairs to relax in, great to have in house dinning and good location.

• Superior Room

We had a deluxe room that had 2 queen size beds, it would have been nice if there was 1 hard bed and 1 soft but they were both EXTREMELY soft so therefore I didn’t sleep very well at all I prefer a much firmer mattress especially being 34 weeks pregnant.

The pool was amazing, lovely and warm and the breakfast was absolutely delicious.

• Superior Room

When I booked it said my credit card wouldn’t be charged, that I would pay on arrival. This wasn’t the case. The receptionist was very very rude and I would not stay here again because of the rude staff

• Superior Room

My husband would have liked a TV racing channel apart from that all okay

Every thing met expectations, clean, nice towels, comfortable bed. staff friendly all good.

• Superior Room

This hotel is very tired and not worth the money. It's definitely not comparable to a 4 star hotel in my opinion. The beds were very uncomfortable - pretty much the softest beds I've ever slept in! Customer service was average - I don't really appreciate having my feet vacuumed around while I'm checking in at the allocated time. Also dead animal in the middle of the driveway entrance to the carpark which was left for the two days we were there, we had to lift our luggage over to avoid it and the wet leaking drain. We spend a lot of time travelling in New Zealand and overseas and unfortunately this is one of the worst hotels we've stayed at in recent times.

The kids liked the pool

• Deluxe Room

The rooms are looking a bit tired. Location is quite good but but a longish walk to town.

A large hotel complex with all of the facilities you would expect. Has a good conference room with plenty of parking.

• Deluxe Room

Fire alarm went off at about 5am. We didn't know whether or not to evacuate the building as no one informed us what was happening. So obviously we were on edge and couldn't get back to sleep.

Not much

The bed and pillows were too firm for my liking

A very pleasant surprise for the price paid. Had a great room which was spacious, well appointed and quiet. Amazing value when compared to others on Fenton St

• Superior Room

Dining experience could of been a little more professional , it was kind of like ordering at a small takeaways uptown.. but saying that the food was really good .

Nice and clean hotel , really roomy room , definitely stay there again

Nothing at all

Very impressed from when we arrived till the time we checked out, we come over from Tauranga, try different accommodation, at arriving at Distinction Hotel, receptionist Wai greeted us, lovely lady with a beautiful smile, informed us we had been upgraded to room 414, in future what we would like, if we ring to book, that there is a possibility room 414 might be available on the special deal Thank you to everyone for a wonderful 2 night stay

• Deluxe Room

Large groups of rude Japanese tourists- hardly anyone else going about. Dining room empty at 9 am and grumpy chef when asked to fry 2 eggs

Location excellent for main attractions

• Superior Room

No robe, black marks on the wall in room 217, which could easily have been washed off I was a bit taken back that I had to ask reception for a robe

The grotto spa the are fantastic- could be a real selling point however you don’t market it at all on your web site or in the lobby, if you had pictures more people would use them

• Superior Room

There was no aircon in the room or a proper window to open. No bottle opener or cutlery in the room, couldn’t open a second drink without having to call reception and wait. The location was average and deceptive photos, wouldn’t stay again

The property looked nice

• Deluxe Room

did not like getting an $84 bill at the end of our awesome stay for breakfasts we were not aware we had to pay for. This should have been clear when we checked in the breakfast was not included in our room booking. When we checked in the lady made it sound this was available to us each morning, with no mention of cost. This was a huge shock, especially when the kids only had ricies one day. The breakfast was convenient but hardly worth the $84 charge. We are local to nz and we could have gone to a cafe or the BP up the road for cheaper. I've stayed in many hotels and breakfast has been included in the room rate. This was disappointing rather than anything else.

Loved the beds, pool and location

• Deluxe Room

the GYM was a DEATH TRAP! I asked for it to be closed before someone was seriously injured by the broken 1980s equipment. I actually book my hotels on the fact that they have a gym and so do 95% of who were part of the wedding party, including bride and groom! we all wanted to use the gym facilities and were shocked at the terrible equipment available. it is misleading to say on the hotel description that there are gym facilities when you clearly have a 'health and safety disaster waiting to happen' facility! the breakfast buffet was overpriced. we went elsewhere.

loved the pool and the area to sit out in and drink, I loved the spa pools, very cosy. loved that there was food facilities and bars. the wedding reception venue was awesome. I liked that there was lots of planting and a luxury feel to the hotel. heaps of parking was great.

• Superior Room

Left a container in the room aND then told it wasn't there when returning to collect it post checkout on the same day..

Breakfast buffet very good food. Deluxe room well appointed and comfortable.

• Superior Room

Old worn out rooms, cobwebs full of insects above curtains, needs a good Reno. No fan in bathroom to let out steam. the pool was being cleaned during open time, kids had to wait around for chlorine to dilute.

The pool and mini cafe, 24 hr check in, late check-out. Discounted deal. Most staff friendly.

• Superior Room

The pools were awesome my kids absolutely enjoyed them. Awesome experience to have restaurants and bar onsite and the family room next to the bar is perfect for the kids to relax in. Would definitely stay here again. Staff were awesome to talk to really easy going.

• Superior Room

The outdated marble lady in the pool, having to go to the main reception to get a pool towel.

Value for money, pool facilities. Movie options/facilities offered for kids.

• Superior Room

The bathroom in our room had mould behind the door, dirty floor tiles with years of build up grime, years of dust around the skirtings and filthy light fittings. The bed was the worst I've ever slept in...no sleep at all that night.

• Deluxe Room

Not that we didn’t like it but the grottos seemed a little worse for wear and there was no a/c in the rooms. The food menu was a little lacking but the food itself was lovely.

Beautifully clean, warm pool. Every staff member we met was friendly, helpful and took time to engage with us. Always appreciated by us! Thanks heaps 😀

• Suite

When I booked through Booking.com it clearly stated that one room only accommodated TWO people so I booked two rooms. When we got there room 500 accommodated all four of us but it was too late to get our money back from the hotel for the room that we didn't use. This was a huge disappointment to us as I was directed by the information given on Booking.com at the time of booking to get two rooms for the four of us. This isn't the hotels fault and they did offer to refund if they could resell the room but they couldn't. My disappointment is with Booking.com and I will be very reluctant to use them again.

We stayed in suit 500 and it was fantastic. accommodate two teenage kids and two adults with three TVs, two toilets, a shower with two shower heads and a huge bath. Was perfect for us. The pool was great and we enjoyed High Tea in the afternoon

• Deluxe Room

The hotel overall is in need of thorough cleaning, dusting and painting. It appears tired with facilities like gym in a need of update and grotto pools would benefit from few litres of bleach and water blastering.

Reception staff were friendly and kind.The room cleaning service was great.

• Superior Room

We stayed at distinction over the Christmas period, we were blown away by the lovely staff who go out of their way to make sure you are comfortable. It was a fantastic hotel for a family with great facilities, we will definitely be back!

• Deluxe Room

bed was a bit too soft for my liking. but was a comfy one. rest of the family slept very well.

pools were heated.awesome for an evening dip. kis have entertainment so the parents can relax. awesome place. will go again

Grotto Pools were not very clean ... poorly maintained guest rooms. No air-conditioning. Charge for local phone calls at check out - but no notification of charges at check in or within the room .

Parking was ready. Restaurant staff were friendly.

• Superior Room

We were upgraded as there was a hitch with checking in. Our room was fabulous. Close to exit and very quiet. This would be one of the best places we have stayed. Staff were excellent and breakfast was excellent.

• Superior Room

Having stayed on several occasions in the last couple of years,sadly this will be the last.Place looks tired and really needs an upgrade.Beds were terrible,one lift out of service,poor quality tea and coffee,towels and linen need replacing.On the whole it just felt stale.Management must feel they can get by with cheap tour pax and steady conference business.

• Deluxe Room

No information about the hotel & amenities was available in the room. The air conditioning unit & safe in the room was not working. During our stay one of the hotel lifts were not operational, which is all good. However the faulty lift was stuck on our level & was making a continous noise which caused a disturbance at night. When I pointed this out to the front desk, the response and was less than satisfactory in my opinion.

Central location, good facilities

As above

We have stayed at dinstinction hotel in Rotorua for years,family trips,holidays,getaways with just hubby and I,trips when family come for overseasyou name it.Was beyond disappointed when we booked to travel from Hamilton on Saturday for 2pm check in and we had a phone call from reservations at Lunchtime to say there was a problem with our room,a maintenance issue and we couldn't stay there anymore????? My parents were over from Australia and were taking the grandkids for a weekend away.They offered to put us up at the hotel ibis full charge,when I looked online that was very budget not even a pool small rooms for a family with 3 kids...I rang back and told them this wasn't good enough and they needed to find another solution for our family.I finally rang them back as they hadn't Called me back and a lovely lady on the other end said it was fine we could have a room after all...........?... so confused,upset.We will reconsider where we stay now as this is simply not good enough,no apology nothing.Very upset,I have always told family and friends how amazing the distinction hotel Rotorua is and have referred lots of family and friends,we will now be staying at the Rydges on our next trip to Rotorua,very sad and unhappy.A simple we are sorry for the inconvenience and maybe a breakfast voucher or whatever nothing.

• Deluxe Room

The rooms do not have windows that fully open so it was hard to get fresh air in, because the air was so stale and stuffy. I most definitely would NOT recommend eating breakfast in the restaurant or ordering room service. The food is extremely over priced- McDonald's would be a better option. Besides breakfast and room service the "restaurants" were also over priced and outdated. The staff could hardly pronounce the menu let alone explain exactly what the dish was. The grotto is outdated and needs an upgrade. I could probably say the same about the staff to be honest. Overall, you get what you pay for.

The outdoor heated pool and the location would have to be the only positive things I have to say about the property.

• Superior Room

Enjoyed the pools and spa baths of the property. Pleasant outlook over geothermal active area. I always get lost in this hotel, and enjoyed doing so again on this visit. Would stay again.

• Superior Room

the lift was not working, a discount or drink voucher would have been nice.

I was disappointed with the wine selection available at the house bar, we have so many delicious NZ wines yet the choices I felt were poor and not reflective of our capabilities. The happy hour offerings were supermarket budget wines!

• Reviewed: 7 June 2017

• Deluxe Room

Old stained carpets had a baby we couldn't put her down on the floor to play, to be frank not family friendly

Old stained carpets, but overall clean will visit again

• Superior Room

Room was very small. Poor soundproofing, we sleep poorly due to all the noise in the hotel. No compendium with info, ie. How to work the heater, checkout time, etc. Overall our stay was average.

Checkout at 11am and the pool area was nice.

• Superior Room

Lift not working. Very poor in room compendium. Hotel is extremely dated. Appeared very empty. Staff were not very cheerful. This was once the Sheraton Hotel and one of Rotoruas premium hotels. No longer in that league.

• Reviewed: 7 March 2017

• Superior Room

Cant think of anything against it.

Meals were lovely. Breakfast was fantastic. Beds so comfy, best sleep I've had in a long time. Staff very welcoming and helpful

The ceiling fan that was revolving at high speed making a noise, b annoying. I could not find the speed controller or the on off switch

the bed was good

• Reviewed: 17 February 2017

• Superior Room

Breakfast was delicious, so many choices, lovely that you can take your time and enjoy a leisurely breakfast. Enjoyed dinner, whoever the chef is, cooks such delicious meals. Am so very grateful and thankful to the Operations Manager, Steven Taylor, he was so understanding, and helpful through my booking. Totally loved the room, spacious, clean and the bed was sooo comfortable, hadn't slept so soundly in years. Staff are always well groomed, smiling, friendly and helpful. It is the second time I have stayed here, both times fantastic, will always be my #1 choice whenever staying in Rotorua.

• Reviewed: 16 January 2017

• Superior Room

Very friendly and helpful reception staff. Very near to see the geysers in nearby attraction. The swimming pool, jacuzzi and underground hot pool caves were lovely. Large spacious room. Free car parking for hotel.

• Reviewed: 14 January 2017

• Deluxe Room

No air conditioning in the room made it very muggy/uncomfortable for a family of four. Very little sleep was had over two nights and because of that reason we will not return - sorry 😢 If the rooms were cooler or had air conditioning, we would come back again and rexcommend others to stay here.

We LOVED the Staff! Shaaron (with 2 a's) was exceptional! We booked off the internet which was fantastic, but when we pulled up and saw the dated facade on arrival we were apprehensive about the welcome we would get. Shaaron turned our negative thinking into positive expectations by her sheer enthusiasm and absolute belief in the establishment. We dined st the Yakitori restaurant on our second night and we're impressed by the menu.

• Reviewed: 8 January 2017

• Superior Room

The rooms could do with an air conditioner as opposed to a ceiling fan! Could improve on their room service. I ordered things and it just never came.

I enjoyed having everything at your disposal in the hotel. Good restaurants, pools games room.

• Reviewed: 8 January 2017

• Superior Room

We were pointed to our table at dinner, we weren't offered a drink, my husband didn't realise you could get a drink from the bar and went to the other bar to get a drink. My son didn't get coleslaw with his fish n chips. Timing of food was not great the cheese platter arriving after everyone had completed their dinner. At breakfast my husband put plates aside that weren't clean.

Bedroom, relaxing and inviting.

• Reviewed: 4 January 2017

Receiving what we paid for

The booking was made through booking.com we paid $290 for a facility that was worth nothing more that $125,being generous.Your advertisement offered breakfast but the hotel denied that privilege.

• Deluxe Room

$28 dollar per person breakfast Slightly ignorant staff Overpriced outdated Hotel Only one lift working Car park location

Room Size / location in the city

• Reviewed: 1 January 2017

• Deluxe Room

Bathroom dirty, toilet had yellow lines just dirty, shower curtain was smelly and disgusting, bathroom wall was dirty and unclean, carpets worn and looked like patched up with bits here and there, carpet very scummy, bed was old - sinks down even before you lie on it. I expected more from a 4 star hotel. Never go by online photos. Bathroom looked NOTHiNG like the real thing. Too expensive for the condition of the room. Maybe $100 a night and definitely not $300.

Loved the pools, loved the staff, loved the location, loved the public facilities like washroom. Funny public washroom was a million times more modern and clean than the dirty old bathrooms we had in our rooms. It's like walking into two different eras in one place.

• Reviewed: 29 December 2016

Lift couldn't be used when we checked in that day and we waited for nearly half an hour in the lobby with many other guests who were also waiting for the availability of their room, but there was no compensation and official apology.

Location, scenery

• Superior Room

Lifts not working, uht only and it was off, gym equipment mostly not working and although the email given about the lifts said they would carry our luggage they didn't. When I told them about the milk and gym they were not apologetic. Coffee was instant and only 4 normal tea bags for the two adults. For $270 it was really not up to scratch. Never coming back here.

Pool was good

• Deluxe Room

The staff were a little rude and appeared resentful when asked for help. The glasses in the room were absolutely filthy (see photo). I could not believe my eyes. There were no batteries in the tv remote. The lifts were out, we asked for a ground floor room as I was recovering from a broken leg, again staff seemed put out to help. When we entered the room somebody was already in that room and awfully surprised to see us in his room. There was no apology just gave us another room. These are mistakes that can happen and I would not have minded at all had the staff been friendly and helpful but they most certainly were not.

The beds were lovely and comfy, nice pool.

• Reviewed: 19 December 2016

• Superior Room

Grotto pools a bit sandy.

Opening windows ensured a natural temperature for sleeping (no annoying air-con); peaceful and private bush area with beautiful birdsong; fabulous warm, large pool, huge spa and gorgeous grottos; great in-house food options; charming.

• Reviewed: 19 September 2016

Temperature control in the room did not work, was freezing cold. The whole site looked a bit tired. The hot pools not very attractive! Too dark and not comfy at all. Cleanliness ???

• Reviewed: 31 August 2016

• Superior Room

Hair in my mushrooms choices of tea bags taste horrible Checkout staff need to have all their facts before they start throwing words around in front of other guest.like your card has declined this not a reciept its a bond..then realise ohh sorry...too late you need more training

Breakfast was good except..hair Room was warm and nice facilities family friendly love it

• Reviewed: 17 July 2016

• Deluxe Room

The beds are bowed in the middle in all of the rooms we have stayed in not good on the back, pool is not hot enough nor the other pools etc

staff are nice and friendly always good to us that is the big thing at this Hotel. Safe hotel and I noticed security and front reception staff locked up and security staff did foot parols all over after hours

• Reviewed: 14 July 2016

• Superior Room

Rooms are a bit tired..but very clean. They would benefit from a wee bit of decoration Room well away from the bar so no noise..great.

Comfortable room, nice pool area.

• Suite

I had a one bedroom suite and it was very comfortable

Bed too soft

Nice hot pool

• Superior Room

The room didnt feel comfortable enough for my little family and I.

KOWHAI RESTUARANT.

• Superior Room

Noisy neighbors in the hall in the earlier hours.

Location, valet, the pool, the kids room, the onsite venues!! Catered to all needs!!

• Superior Room

You can hear people walking and talking in the hall way and in the other room beside ours.

Nice and comfy. Love the buffet breakfast.

• Superior Room

Room service at night but expensive

Friendly staff

• Superior Room

not very clean,room too small

good location,good price

• Deluxe Room

Girls serving me at restaurant at swimming pool not very helpful.

Swimming pools and restaurants

• Superior Room

Good quality hotel with expected facilities

Small pool

Supperb cleanliness Excellent customer service Awesome Bar restaurant & Staff Spacious parking

The rate was high.

Heated Swimming pool

Nothing all great

Great room staff and service also like the restaurants on site and breakfasts

• Superior Room

Clean, comfortable, exactly what we were expecting

Facilities - Grotto pools fantastic