Reviews of Heritage Queenstown 4.5 stars

91 Fernhill Road, Fern Hill, 9197 Queenstown, New Zealand

#34 of 71 hotels in Queenstown

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

The Heritage Queenstown was in an exclusive location with amazing views from our room. All the staff were extremely accommodating and friendly. Would definitely recommend!

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

Would have expected breakfast to be included in price.

Enjoyed our stay, room was comfortable & clean. Due to hotel location you need your own transportation. Staff very pleasant & helpful.

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

Best location. Staff professional, friendly , nothing was problem. Room superb. Bed the most comfortable and ate at restaurant each night. Food top class.😍

• Deluxe Family Room

Unfortunately the lift in my wing stopped working and made it difficult with a baby and buggy. Heated pool was pretty cold too.

The staff were excellent. Everyone was very friendly and super helpful. When the lift broke I had staff carry my buggy and luggage when we were leaving. Property was good and was very close to town but away from the noise it can bring.

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

I love staying in this property when I visit Queenstown. Beds are super comfy, staff are super helpful, restaurant food is amazing. Always my go to accomodation.

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room with Lake View

Provided lovely bath salts, but the bath did not hold that much water to enjoy it.

The bed was comfy! TV choice of channels good. Staff was friendly although did not take advantage of the amenities.

• Deluxe Family Room

Resort getting a little tired , but always a good place to stay in Queenstown. A good walk into town , quiet and beautiful views . It’s a good idea to walk into town and taxi home . Parking in Queenstown can be a nightmare . Some great deals to be had if you book in advance ! We spent Queens Birthday here and loved the light festival in the gardens ❤️

• Deluxe Family Room

That our stay was to short

Was Beauitful the drive down the hill from hotel was breathtaking the hotel was awesome we are from New Zealand and having so many different ethnicities working in hotel was cool we really enjoyed our stay thank you very much

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

For me personally I can’t think of something to be improved upon

Lovely friendly and helpful staff. Peaceful, beautiful location with a pleasant 20 minute walk to town (there is a bus if you prefer). Gorgeous food in the restaurant as an added bonus. We had such a relaxing stay.

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

Would have liked a fan in the bathroom to clear shower condensation. Also we were disappointed with the view; thought we were getting a lake view but maybe we have to request it? Also had a drink in the bar and were handed a food menu, however this menu is different to the restaurant menu (also in same room) so was a little confusing... Be warned the outdoor pool isn't heated enough to swim outside comfortably either!

I asked for a special request to leave a packet of gummy bears on the bed - my friend loves them - and they did! Was very pleased. Loved how beautiful the room looked, nice big tv and some cute complimentary additions in the bathroom. Bar host was very chatty & underground parking was a bonus with it being so icy.

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

Would suggest their own shuttle to take guests to town and different locations. Would prefer designated car parks.

A lovely hotel, great location. Friendly staff, clean rooms. Highly recommend it.

• Suite

Common areas were a bit run down. Car parking was an issue on the Saturday night, we were staying four nights and on the Saturday night came back with no onsite parking available. Your website said no need to book parking however we were told we could park across the road in the gravel car park in the pouring rain!!! We didn't pay $1000 to park in offsite parking!!!! There is more to the story about were we ended up parking but cant be bothered going through all of that. Other nights were fine for parking though.

Comfy bed and nice layout of the room, very cosy

• Two-Bedroom Suite

Teflon kitchen utensil does not work well The building is old When we book for an apartment for 5 pax, we expect it to be seperated living and bedrooms. The units we are provided are combines studio units

Good hotel service

• Deluxe Family Room

Hotel is just a bit tired and old and need of some serious money spending on it to make it worth spending at this level. I have stayed at the Hilton in QT twice before and wanted to stay where I got a bigger lake view. The owners need to spend the money on the whole facility. A new coat of paint just wont cut it, its passed its use by date, sorry.

The staff were fantastic and the view is to die for ! It was clean, comfortable and nice to come ‘home’ to at the end of the day.

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room with Lake View

It was a bit further from the town centre than I had expected. We had booked a lake view room but were put in the Forest wing at the end where you could see the lake but over a huge concrete balcony area. They kindly moved us to a lake view room the next day. The rooms were ok, clean and tidy with all the standard facilities. But for the price I expected a bit more wow factor. The lake view is the only WOW!

Beautiful building with great views

• Executive Double or Twin Room

Paying almost 300$ for one night, entering a room with one king bed and the second bed being rolled in on a cot is unacceptable. When I reserved I specifically asked for 2 proper beds. Luckily reception was kind enough to change our room to a family room with 2 proper beds. Also, in my booking I specifically requested late checkout at 11am and was approved via an email from manager Alex L. It was dissappointing to receive a call and then getting hung up on following a knock on the door from a man asking why I haven’t checked out. I explained I requested checkout at 11am, received and email from mananger approving it. I offered to show him the email and he held the door open only saying “we’ll we weren’t told.” Sorry, but communication within the hotel is not my responsibility and I would have expected a different response when offering to show the email.

Bar staff was amazing with great local recommendations.

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room with Lake View

We had a lakeview just not from the lakeside. You could still see the lake though so can't complain.

I think we were confirmed for a "deluxe double room with lake view" but looking at the website now we stayed in an "executive deluxe room with lake view" so... thank you! Reception were friendly. Amazing staff working the breakfast buffet during our stay, they were very attentive and welcoming every morning. Also, breakfast selection was great! They even had a raw breakfast bar with nuts and all that fancy stuff. We checked out the heated pool but didn't get a chance to take a dip we definitley will next time. Our bed was super comfortable and our room was serviced daily. We had a small fridge and electric jug available with all the complimentary tea service. Fantastic location which was perfect for us because we didn't hire a car. Bus stop right across the road ($2 trip on a bus card) or short walk down hill. If you bus back be sure to push the button before you reach the hotel our drivers always stopped right outside which was nice because it wasn't an official bus stop. Our bathroom had a shower and seperate bath tub. There was a couch in the room for comfortable tv browsing. Sky movies available for a chill night after a busy day out doing touristy things.

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

The food at Bistro/restaurant menu is not up to standard. Very disappointing, menu bereft of imagination and variety and the standard of the food is appalling . We have been there in the past many times and enjoyed the food. We would not like to eat there again and it needs upgrading in keeping with the quality of the hotel.

Comfortable bed, very clean room and great staff at reception and also friendly waitresses.

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

I thought it would be closer to the city. It required a cab ride and that was expensive each time

the hotel was nice and comfortable, the staff was very friendly, the restaurant was very good.

• Executive Double or Twin Room

We needed an extra bed in our room for our 24 year old son. Bed was too soft,damaged bed and also short in length. Unfortunately the chemicals used in the bathroom had a strong smell of chlorine. This may effect sensitive people or people with allergy’s. To be fair the bathroom was very clean. There was no lift to the 4th floor which was a bit of a nuisance. Lift goes to 3rd floor then have to walk up to the 4th floor including carting luggage down the stairs. A little far from the main centre and a big hill to walk up and down about 20 minutes walk. A little hard for older people I would say.

Room was quiet nice . The staff were all excellent. We had a nice view including some water views. Thanks for the 3 free drinks from the bar. Very enjoyable stay.

• Deluxe Family Room

Food. Presentation was not good. The taste of oil was old and bad. Plus poor vegetarian options.

I lost my mum the night before arriving in hotel. When the staff ( Sebastian) heard about my loss, they looked after me with such a TLC. I also received a sympathy card and box of sweets.

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

Breakfast was not included in the (high) room rate A little out of town so not many alternatives for breakfast / dinner

Located approx 10 min walk from downtown Queenstown, this is a very nice property with lots of luxury features... staff allowed me to dry my hiking boots in the "ski" room even though it was out of season and happily took care of any other requests... restaurant was very good for dinner / breakfast

• Two Bedroom Suite with Lake View

The food from the room service menu was pretty expensive and average. The kids macaroni cheese was an awful, tasteless meal and was sent back. The hotel did refund us for it immediately so all good on that front. Also the free drink we had was the house wine, the Adventure Pinot Noir - also underwhelming. I returned the glasses to the bar and said I would just buy my next glass of wine but they were kind enough to give us our next glass free. Great customer service as it was not what I expected.

The location is superb and we had rooms with a view of the lake and the view was amazing. The rooms we had were also massive and a fantastic change from being in a campervan for 2 weeks. We also received a free drink upon arrival which was a nice touch. The staff were also very friendly and helpful.

• Executive Double or Twin Room

The accommodation exceeded our expectations. We arrived early and whilst the room was not available the reception called when it became available. The hotel is located a short walk to town that offered views the entire way. We were pleasantly surprised by the size of the room and the bed was extremely comfortable. I would highly recommend this hotel

One ply toilet paper

Nothing was a problem for the staff. Helpful friendly. Situated a little out of Queenstown, which is ideal as it is quiet. Meals were outstanding.

• Deluxe Family Room

I have booked though booking.com and I'm a genius client and there say I would have a free drink on arrival (didn't happened)and would pay my stay at the hotel. When arrived the staff said it was paid and could not provide gst receipt ??? never has been charged till last day I was in the hotel, and I still need the gst receipt and it was very clear in my booking that it would be charged at the property. (hotel)Since day one we ask the staff to check if money has been taken and how and 2 days after they said to us that they did nothing about it.

the beds , confy and large, very clean. large rooms

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

The check in staff were extremely friendly sorted us out very quickly. The room was clean and organised well. Although our room didn't have a view there were lots of places around the hotel to take advantage of looking down onto the lake. Queenstown was a quick walk away and quicker bus trip. We felt out of the hustle and bustle of the city and the hotel on a whole was quiet. The bar and restaurant staff were friendly and efficient and we enjoyed the local beers and wine. The tv and wifi worked really well.

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

Our room's carpet was badly stained. The sauna door in the spa had a missing handle and three sharp and rusty screws were sticking out of it. The hotel is not cheap and I had high expectations. in my view it did not come up to the standard expected and indeed was one of the poorest we stayed in during our 4 week trip around New Zealand. The motels we stayed in were more comfortable and far better value.

Dinner in the restaurant was very good. The staff were friendly and helpful.

• Suite with Lake View

2 single beds pushed together for a double, not worth $375+ pn Shower grouting and around outside base needs a good steam clean Bathroom needs upgraded all round - tired and dated Reception area tired and dated with 70s artex on walls. No light switch near bed - had to get up and walk to door to switch lights off - unusual for a hotel. Poor minibar selection. Overall a bit tired.

Good sized studio, washer/dryer in room was very helpful.

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room with Lake View

The room decor & furnishings were a bit dated & tired. Flakey paint etc could use a bit if a refresh.

The view from our room was amazing (forest building room 401) Room was huge & impeccably clean.

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room with Lake View

There was a problem with the water which can't be avoided but it affected us for about 3 days. Also a person in a neighbouring room talked loudly on his phone and we could hear him on at least 2 nights. We had to bang on the wall to quieten him.

The view from the balcony

• Deluxe Family Room

However, I unexpected that they charged me 1.5% credit card fee as well as 50dollars for the credit card security. That does not make sense. And I have to wait another ten days for refunding.

A nice and quiet place to go.

• Suite with Lake View

They could have put bigger windows in to really soak up the view on chilly afternoons..no toilet brush. Communication issues with getting my $50 back at the moment

Amazing Lake View Spacious Room Huge comfortable bed Handy to town Car park right under all the buildings was cool.

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

Bed very uncomfortable far too soft. Had water problem no water for an hour period in the evening, carpet in room was a bit blotchy

Good size room, covered parking, nice complex, Big bed, nice pool and spa,

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

They could have better spelled out what the mini-bar charges were and which items are part of the mini-bar vs. which items were complementary (coffee and tea for sure, but some hotels we stayed at left biscuits or cookie with the coffee and tea and those were present here but were close by obvious mini-bar items).

This is a nice hotel with great parking and amenities that is just outside the central business district of Queenstown. It is walking distance to town, but there is a significant hill to climb on the way back. The room was spacious, clean, and comfortable, but nothing super special. We didn't eat at the restaurant, but it looked nice and appeared to have nice menu.

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

Gym really small and poorly equipped. Breakfast tired, greasy and unimaginative. Refused an omelette as that was only available a la carte. So had to have 2 greasy fried eggs instead (scrambled sitting in the big bowl was awful). Worst bacon I've had. Charge to pay by credit card which at $300+ per night is a bit cheeky. Charge introduced in 2011 apparently so 7 years later they still haven't worked out how to incorporate it as a cost of doing business. Generally in need of a refresh.

Good people - good check in and check out experience. Enjoyed the spa and the sauna. Good Sky selection. Great side view of the lake - although too cold to sit out as sun didn't hit this side (Forest block)

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

Hotel is a little tired. Especially the corridors/stairwells, reception and our room was in need of a new carpet.

Linen and room furniture looked reasonably new and was clean and unmarked.

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

We had cheese platter and couldn’t finish it all. Asked if we could take it to room. Refused. That’s just crazy and the one thing that lost points with this place

Excellent facilities

1.Lack of garage space allocation to match room wing location 2.Very poor and confusing access to rooms from garage especially for elderly guests 3.info from reception on how to access garage area on foot was not well communicated. 4. “Tired” looking public areas especially carpets.

It was clean quiet and comfortable

• Suite

Living area not too comfortable. Some noise transference from next door. Unable to park car on hotel site at all one night, had to park over the road. Lift only went to 3rd floor so had to take luggage up stairs to 4th floor.

Bed was comfy. Studio suite was spacious. Nice to have little balcony. Separate shower was good. Location just out of town, walkable, but also bus stop right outside hotel made it easy.

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

Parking was available, but not necessarily in the wing our room was in. Made moving our bags that bit more challenging.

The staff were friendly & helpful. Free drink voucher at check in. Great in room toiletries. Bed was so comfortable. Great views from the restaurant patio & nice food. Bus stop right at the entrance to the hotel, makes town access easy if you don't want to walk or drive.

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

There was an old smell in the far corridor of our wing (waterfall) and the carpet looks like it could do with replacing.

Super comfy bed and great black out curtains. All of the staff were very professional as well as being genuinely friendly and helpful.

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

We absolutely loved staying at the great hotel. The staff were great as was the room with a view to die for! We loved that it was a little out of town and consequently very quiet. Will definitely return.

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

Carpet in room a little stained and patchy

Walking distance to town, just up a wee hill. Although booked mountain view room, could also see the lake which was nice. Comfy bed, clean bathroom.

• Suite with Lake View

Getting slightly dated. Restaurant poorly sited/no views except of kitchen, tho' food was good. There are good close alternatives VKnow or in town.

Lake view suites have (surprise) wonderful views. Room was spacious & well equipped: washing machine in room a very useful bonus. Underground park for car ideal to access It is "out of town" centre/noise

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

One reason we picked the hotel was the likelihood of good views over the lake and mountains. Our standard room looked out over the woods behind the hotel, which was expected. What we didn't expect was that NONE of the publicly-accessible areas would have good views. The common areas, the pool area, the restaurants all had no views at all; the only good views were from the (locked) conference center or a few special hotel rooms. That was disappointing. We had to walk out of the hotel and down a hill to see the lake and sunset.

The location was a great jumping-off place for drives to Glenorchy. The bar/restaurant staff was flexible and helpful when we arrived after the regular restaurant stopped serving. The free wifi was good.

• Executive Double or Twin Room

This was the perfect hotel for our visit. The walk from town is up a steep hill but if you are planning on a treck then you can just count this as daily conditioning! The rooms are beautiful, clean and staff very friendly. We had a wonderful visit and are very happy to have stayed here.

• Executive Double or Twin Room

Walk back from town centre, the hill to the hotels quite severe

Executive room was lovely, comfortable bed and large settee and television. Restaurant good also.

• Suite

TV in lounge did not work, but one in bedroom was ok

Lovely large apartment, nicely furnished, plenty of room, and large comfortable bed. Fantastic views of Queenstown from balcony.

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

Wonderful place to stay. On the hill, about 5 mins from the centre of Queenstown, overlooking the Remarkables mountain range. Very spacious and modern rooms. Easy 10 -15 mins walk into town, which saves the hassle of parking the car. Staff extremely helpful and knowledgeable.

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

Price but Queenstown is costly and was nearly booked out. Minibar prices. A decent walk from town up a hill.

View, Gym, Pool, Clean. Tasty and individually prepared food in restaurant with top service and presentation.

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

Price but all Queenstown expensive in Feb. A bit slow in booking in at office. They require $50 deposit on minibar or credit card pre-approval.

Had a meal in restaurant. It was superb with great flavor and tender meat. My only criticism is the cost, as Queenstown is really expensive. (I normally stay at lower cost hotels but all booked out). It is also a bit out of town if you dont have a car. Need to walk up a hill but good views over the lake. Has Spa, pool and Gym. Queenstown is vibrant and picturest location.

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

Overpriced,asked for a lake view got a bunch of trees. To top off the stay we woke up to no water in the whole hotel.so we couldn't shower,brush our teeth of flush the toilet!! Asked what was the deal and basically wasn't there fault and handballed it to the city council. Felt really unwanted at this place.

• Suite with Lake View

the amount we paid,we paid over a thousand for 2 nights only.that should have included breakfast or something.way too expensive for what we got

was clean

• Suite

Very over priced for the room where the decoration and facility is a bit outdated. Was assigned with waterfall building, but actually you only hear the sound of waterfall with no view at all! Was assigned to the top floor where the elevator stopped at lower floor. Not recommend this place unless you book a room with view at reasonable price.

Not much choice for me during the peak season.

nothing at all

Good location with beautiful lake and mountain view. When booked, it said Mountain View, but when checked in, it was found with good lake view as well. A bonus.

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

The dining room staff more interested in chatting together than serving.We left and went down the street for another drink and desert.

Everyone especially cleaning and reception staff great. R oom very clean and comfortable facillities great

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

I didnt seem to find a communal area where you could sit have breakfast/tea and enjoy the lake view from the hotel if you didnt have a lake view room.

The staff were friendly. The shower was good. Room size was perfect for us. Nice sized tv and has Sky. There was a gym and pool and spa, we didnt use them but it looked clean. Lake Wakatipu is a 3min walk for a nice and relaxing dip, enjoy the fresh clear water, views and ducks. Take a loaf of bread or two down to feed the ducks. We ordered room service for breakfast and it was quick and delicious. The location is nice. The walk to the city is beautiful takes about 15mins, we took our time taking in the view and stopping for photos every morning. We ordered taxi’s through reception and the taxi’s were always on time. From town to the hotel the taxi is between $12-$14. This is a perfect location if you dont want to be too close to town and enjoy peace and nature. We enjoyed a quiet and peaceful time at Heritage. We were lucky we didnt have screaming kids neighbouring.

• Suite with Lake View

couldnt see the lake due to trees, for the price we paid thought the carpet would be sparkling, the bathrobes fluffy and the trees cut back to see more lake on lakeside

the washing machine was a dryer too

• Deluxe Family Room

I wish we could have the views of the lake from the Hotel that Hotel pictures suggest...

Great location only 3 mns away driving or 10mns walking from Queenstown main streets. Room and bathroom are comfortable and have a very good size. Hotel is nice and clean. Breakfast is complete though we sort of missed fruit options. There is a laundry/ dry automatic equipment for guests. Free parking included. Staff is very friendly and helpful.

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

Food was excellent, especially the breakfast bar. Very healthy. The staff went out of their way to help us. We stored luggage while on a bike trip and when we checked in again, it was already in our room. We were also able to borrow a current adapter from the front desk. Excellent in every way!

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

The checking in part left me disappointed the attitude of the staff member was the worst iv had in the last 30 years of travel as I do a lot for work being a general manager,

The comfort and size of room and secure parking

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

Very comfortable stay. Loved the bed and the view from my pātio. Loved the breakfast buffet. Enjoyed meet others at spa and pool. Would love tō return there.

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

Carpet in the room was stained dirty and pretty disgusting for a hotel of this standard. The room also had a residual odour possibly from cigarette smoke. The manager of the hotel listened to our complaints and responded accordingly.

Pool is a bonus for this area. Spacious room.

• Deluxe Family Room

No water in the morning for a shower or to flush the toilet. Not enough car parking on-site to service all of the rooms in each wing of the hotel. Staff unfriendly & obnoxious when informed of our issues. Dated decor, needs a refurb. Most over priced hotel I have ever stayed in.

• Deluxe Family Room

The pool and spa area were quite busy so on a warm day you have to be down there early to get a spot

Staff were helpful and friendly. Room was clean and spacious. Beautiful views. Overall a great experience!!

• Executive Double or Twin Room

Hotel is rather old and not very modern, no HD TV (and only about 6 channels available during our stay), pool/'spa' were tiny and mostly crowded. Location is within 20-minutes walk to the lively harbour/downtown (uphill when returning home...). Typical travel hotel (groups pouring in on bus loads...). At 350 NZD per night you would expect a complimentary breakfast or at least coffee, an airport shuttle as described on booking.com etc. but instead they charge extra for every detail (including 1,5% for paying with credit card!) and staff doesn't seem to communicate too well: when we didn't have any water in the bathroom one morning, the guy sent up to our room upon our complaint told us there was a water shortage as 'all hotel guests were trying to take a shower at the same time' - crazy at this kind of hotel! We later found out there had been a fire alarm and according to local laws all water nearby had to be saved for extinguishing a possible fire (completely different story and understandable to us!). Conclusion: if you are looking for a good way to waste your money in Queenstown without doing anything crazy such as bungee jumping etc., we highly recommend this place!

Spacious room, clean bathroom, comfy bed, friendly and sweet European bartenders, free parking

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

The hotel is a bit tired and dated including the bathroom area. This hotel is a good 20 minute walk into town downhill but uphill on the way back so if you do not have a level of fitness it might be too far out of town.

The hotel provided adequate toiletries and the room was big, neat and tidy.

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room with Lake View

To get to 4th floor, you have to climb the stairs from 3rd floor. Hard for traveling with big suitcases. We were told kids eat with adult ordered main course the kids eat for free. But I still been charged for my kid’s Bolognese. A bit unpleasant. Apart from that nothing to complain

Beautiful view of lake from the balcony. Heritage and elegant hotel architecture. Clean room and comfortable bed.

• Deluxe Family Room

Every time we go to Queenstown, we stay here. The lake and mountains views are remarkable. The staffs are so helpful, friendly and happy. Far from hustling and bustling. Just the way we like it.

• Deluxe Family Room

Bedroom carpet had multiple stains and was in need of a good clean. King bed was two singles push together which wasn't that comfy for those of us who like the middle of the bed. Finally we had the hot buffet for breakfast and it was quite underwhelming in terms of options and quality.

The sauna was a great addition, really enjoyed it.

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

Close to bus stops, very close to town. Walkable, but you'd be climbong up a steep hill on the way back. Very large rooms with balcony, great for fresh air. Restaurant serves fantastic food.

• Deluxe Family Room

There was a fire alarm went off early in the morning but no staff on the assembly area telling us what to do.

Location is perfect! Not too noisy with traffic and convenient and leisure walk to the city. Love the family room. Not too cramp.

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room with Lake View

The beds were amazingly comfortable, and I liked the 'pillow menu'. The staff in the restaurant were very knowledgeable on the food selections and wine, and the food was lovely. Overall a very enjoyable stay.

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room with Lake View

Booked a lakeview room and got a forest view room, so was not happy about this. Also there was problems with the water to the building on the first day that took a while to fix and the water cut out on me half way through a shower. Came back to the hotel late one night after dinner and found it difficult to get a carpark.

Hotel was nice and clean.