Reviews of ibis Hamilton Tainui 3 stars

18 Alma Street, 3204 Hamilton, New Zealand

#23 of 54 hotels in Hamilton

4.8

• Standard King or Twin Room

Extra $20 for a valet parking?? Valet normally suggests the car getting cleaned which didn’t happen. Also, my car door was damaged although the hotel negated any responsibility when it definitely occurred at their premises.

That I only stayed one evening.

• Standard King or Twin Room

The staff on entering the facility were very warm and genuinely welcoming. My room was warm, easily adjustable and the bed very comfy. I really enjoyed having breakfast on the deck on the banks of the Waikato river and being right in the middle of the city.

• Standard King or Twin Room

No free parking on site - I had to pay for valet parking which should have been made more obvious before I booked. No free WiFi - everywhere should have free WiFi these days.

Great breakfast. Staff were very helpful.

• Standard King or Twin Room

They made you pay for parking, this is not stated when booking. they will not let you park your own car, you have to let them drive. this is not acceptable when you do not allow anyone to drive your car. for this reason,i wanted to cancel my booking that i made on the ph 20 min before i got there and was told NO, you card will be charged because you did not give us 24hrs notice

breakfast

• Superior King or Twin Room

When arrived very busy so had to back out park car then bring bags To entrance not far but was starting to rain. Maybe a variety on room service though what we had was great

Breakfast buffet excellent large variety

• Standard King or Twin Room

Nothing that you can control. The very very loud drunk people and the the slamming of the doors in the AM hours. But that is something you can not control.

We always stay at the ibis when we travel to Hamilton. But I must say the late night fries were particularly nice, just the wait to get them.

• Standard King or Twin Room

Excellent stay from the moment we arrived, staff were very friendly and helpful, the dinner was lovely, the bed extremely comfortable and a fantastic buffet breakfast. Would definitely be back.

• Standard King or Twin Room

Didn't like getting woken every night by the alarm clock going off at midnight 😡

The buffet was amazing, great selection of foods. Everything about our stay was easy.

• Standard King or Twin Room

We paid for a full buffet breakfast on the Sunday morning and were very disappointed that some of the food was very sparse and not replenished promptly. The tables were not cleared in time to allow other diners to sit down and we had to push the previous diners plates to the side so that we had somewhere to sit. Had we have known that it was going to be busy then we would have either booked prior or made other plans to go elsewhere. We used the valet service for our vehicle and when it was brought around to us on the Sunday we noticed that the mirrors had all been adjusted. When my husband went to readjust the rear vision mirror it fell off the windscreen! Although we have no proof that it had anything to do with being roughly handled by the valet driver, we are suspicious as the vehicle is 12 months old and therefore the incident would not have happened due to general wear and tear of the vehicle.

The location was excellent for our purposes as we were able to walk to the Claudelands concert venue. The staff were extremely pleasant and obliging when we arrived. The room itself satisfied our pupose and was clean.

• Standard Queen or Twin Room

We got breakfast included, we went to breakfast at 9am wanting a cooked breakfast. There was no food left, we waited thinking it will be refilled. It took forever for this to happen and only small portions come out if any did come. There was no juices, salt or sauces left also. There was no staff around to even ask for Any of these things. We paid $24 each for this poor service. We were not happy and a lot of other people around us felt the same.

The bed was amazing!!

• Standard Queen or Twin Room

Parking was misrepresented as available then on arrival advised as valet and $20. Ibis carpark was maybe 3/4 empty. This is in Hamilton. My guests for dinner could not find local carpark Restaurant meal was very small and overpriced

breakfast was good

• Standard King or Twin Room

No free wifi. Would have eaten and drank more at the hotel had there been but plenty of free wifi at bars and restaurants nearby.

Clean and comfortable room in a great location. Room was a little larger than the average Ibis room.

• Standard King or Twin Room

Honestly i can not think of anything that did not meet our needs.

I found the staff amazing, so help full. Resturant food both dinner and breakfast were superb. Loved how central this was as i put our car in your care and never needed if again till it was time to leave Hamilton. Bed was very comfortable. We stay 2 nights with not one issue!

• Standard King or Twin Room

Rude staff member in the bar. We went down for breakfast at 8am and lots of the food had ran out and didn't get restocked.

Was close to where our group of friends were staying

• Superior Queen or Twin Room

I found it strange being greeted by lifts and stairs, would have been pleasant to see the receptionist greet us on entry. My room felt a bit tight not much room for personal space, the bathrooms ventilation wasn’t great felt like the minute the hot water let of even a little steam I couldn’t breath. In comparison to Novotel Tainui value for money I’d probably prefer to stay with them. Given the extra’s as well spa and gym rooms are a bit more roomier.

I appreciate how attentive and helpful the staff were, I really enjoyed the views surrounding the bar and from my room. The breakfast buffet was great had a wide variety and was bery kid friendly.

• Standard King or Twin Room

The walls are thin and I could hear my neighbours music and chatting. And the bed is on little wheels so it rolls away from the headboard. Also, when people are in the hallway talking it echos through the hall.

I liked that there was 24hr reception and Car Valet, I felt like I was able to come and go and I pleased and the reception was warm and welcoming and they were willing to answer at any of my requests at any time. Good for a night stay.

• Standard King or Twin Room

The staff were so accomodating. They were all so respectful well mannered and very very happy to assist. The room was super clean and the breakfast well set out with everything you could ask for. I will stay here again.

• Standard King or Twin Room

Parking is a distance from hotel. Noisy fridge! And I don’t understand in this day and age why there is such excessive pricing on hotel wifi!

Clean rooms, quiet with nice river views! Great location and very accommodating staff. Great service.

• Standard King or Twin Room

Partner could not sleep as the fridge was very noisy, we did not know it was the fridge making the noise until the morning. No problem with cleanliness, but carpets in hallways & stairs need replacing.

Bed was comfortable thankyou and room was clean.

• Standard King or Twin Room

Having to pay extra$10 for wifi, in this day and age this should be included as standard in any good accommodation.

Excellent room for the price, great view of the river and all room amenities were provided.

• Standard King or Twin Room

That we got overcharged, we were rung later in the day to let us know the error but I did query the price at the time of paying and was told it was correct. But glad for the phone call to say they were refunding it

Breakfast was great, bed was comfy

• Standard Queen or Twin Room

The fire drill i am fully aware of why but the reaction time of staff needs to improved, your staff need more training for any evacuation.

I loved my room and the view over the river. It was so close to everthing also made good coffee.

• Standard King or Twin Room

The king size bed was very comfortable. A no frills hotel, clean & great location in the centre of Hamilton, close to the Waikato river - great for an early morning riverside walk - close to other amenities, restaurants, shopping, would definitely stay there again.

• Superior King or Twin Room

Our bar fridge made noises a lot during the night Our bed moved away from the headboard

The breakfasts were very nice. Overall a very nice place to stay

• Standard King or Twin Room

When we checked in we given diSable room not king size bed as advertised and couldn't sleep alnight due to noise first night than we moved to another room the next day

Bed was comfortable room was nice and clean

• Standard King or Twin Room

Wonderful comfortable Beds Great service from all Staff Breakfast was great Central to the City and Eateries Overall a Hassle Free overnight stay. Thanks will be back again

I couldn't stay longer :(

Great ventilation in the bathrooms (no poo smells in room). excellent sun block out from window shade. Very comfortable bed.

• Standard Queen or Twin Room

The bed was extra comfy. Great to have a balcony to sit on a warm autumn evening. Breakfast was great too with plenty of choice. Very handy to a lot of cafes and restaurants if you would rather eat out than in the hotel

• Standard King or Twin Room

We had to check out very early as the smell of something burning filled our room. We smelled it throughout the night but got really bad about 4am. Staff came to check it out, but the smell was coming from the hallway, not our room. It smelled like being right next to a smoldering campfire . Outside of this event, the stay was good.

• Standard King or Twin Room

Very comfortable and spotlessly clean, with view of the river. The staff were very helpful. We had a very nice dinner at the hotel, excellent service. Breakfast was also very good.

Would like to have free 24 hour internet as other hotel do

Very nice location overlooking the river with view Outdoor seating for eating on terrace Good selection for breakfast Nice dinner

• Standard King or Twin Room

The bed was so comfortable and the black out blinds made sleeping in a breeze! The easy access to town also make it great for going out for dinner or breakfast.

• Standard King or Twin Room

My access card kept being wiped - it took a couple of times to get it reactivated before someone suggested that it could be because it was close to my mobile phone. My fault really - but it was a bit annoying as I keep all my cards - ATM, transport and loyalty cards - in my mobile phone case. It was just automatic to keep it there. I think it was also strange that there wasn't a laundry service, though I appreciated being able to use the basement washing machines and driers to self-launder.

This was up to a good standard - as you'd expect for a chain brand. The location was excellent! Easy access to the river walk and fantastic eateries. Nothing was too much trouble for staff - and everything was done with a smile - they were great!

• Standard King or Twin Room

Super good location. Super clean. Lovely breakfast. Great view, very friendly staff. Just overall a very pleasant stay. Totally recommend this to friends and would totally stay again. The air conditioning was amazing during our very hot stay in beautiful Hamilton.

• Standard Queen or Twin Room

Bed was a bit hard, but others probably like that (I do like a soft bed). Unfortunately parking was not free - : (

Location is good. Love the restaurant. Was glad of the air conditioning as it was an extremely hot evening. Reception staff were good.

• Standard King or Twin Room

Can,t think of anything at the moment, so that's good

Super king bed always a bonus.I actually got 1/3 of the bed instead of 1/5 ( when we stay at Ibis.)

Nothing I didn’t like

Loved the huge bed! So comfy! I booked the hotel very last minute on our way over to Hamilton the nice man on reception said he upgrade us to river side view, we appreciated that! Love that fact that they park your car for you! Usually half the battle in town is trying to find a car park especially on a Saturday. Our room was cleaned by Jesse and wow was it clean! Not one speck of dirt or dust! Was very impressed

• Standard King or Twin Room

We had to go down and collect our room service dont know the point in ordering it to your room only to have to go and get it ourselves! Toilet dirty. Bed uncomfortable and pillows are in shocking way! All around pretty shocking and we will not be back would rather go stay in a motel cheaper and better!

The front desk staff where lovely

• Standard King or Twin Room

Parking... costs an extra $15 per night to park at the Sky city casino which is about 200 metres away

central location - 11.00am check out. loads of TV channels, big bed, clean bathroom, good views of the river

Room was a bit small for 3 people and bathroom needed a extraction fan

Bed was comfy. Staff were very friendly, pleasant and helpful.allowed us to check in early at no extra cost. Very quick at getting our car from valet.

• Superior Queen or Twin Room

Bathroom a little small however enough with facilities not like you spend the night in the bathroom. Overall a good stay for the $$

The rooms were spacious if travelling alone. I travelled with family of 6 we booked 3 rooms I had a room to myself and found this just right. Only stayed one night but the staff were friendly and helpful, parking facilities $20 per night hotel will park car for you (most helpful).

• Standard King or Twin Room

Twin room very small, limited bench space to work from, bathroom cramped, shower not that clean

Checking Out the lady who served me was Excellent, a huge improvement on the Check In experience.

• Superior King or Twin Room

Been several times and they act like they don't know me. How many times do I need to write out my email address?

Best kind of hotel for us. Not pretentious just functional.

• Standard Queen or Twin Room

Fresh fruit for the breakfast was a disappointment, not fresh at all but everything else on offer was so yummy and a really good selection!

Nice simple clean room. Extra comfy bed!

• Standard King or Twin Room

No room service as mentioned, drinking water tap is right in front of the toilet bowl and tats disgusting,no ventilation so room gets stuffy though they have AC

Bed was alright, AC rooms

• Standard King or Twin Room

Paying for wifi. Shower trays were bouncy. Pretty minor.

Location. Perfect. The bar and balcony overlooking river was a real bonus too. Valet parking very good too. Staff friendly. Room was resonably clean but walls and surfaces are looking tired.

• Superior King or Twin Room

The parking made it difficult, and had limited options and space. We also had trouble with our card for the rooms as we couldn’t get in and staff members were great but it was annoying having to go down to get access

The breakfast was fantastic and had lots of variety to choose from. We had interconnecting rooms as we had 2 children and it was soooo spacious

• Standard King or Twin Room

Nice hotel in Hamilton with good breakfast (for an extra $22 pp) but quite a few extras to pay for: internet extra $10 p/n, valet parking extra $20 p/n and no other options to valet provided. Nice clean room with an extra bed for our daughter though.

• Standard King or Twin Room

Only got a double bed when booked a king. Tried to charge a lot more than bookin quoted and when I showed the confirmation email they seemed to doubt it. Then they wereally polite! Too late by then as was not a nice end to the weekend

Staff friendly

• Standard King or Twin Room

Lovely veiw over the river- good coffee from the bar. Make the most of the valet parking if you needn't use your car- Hamilton parking is expensive and a pain. Walking distance to claudelands events, crickey and rugby grounds, restaurants, shopping, Hamilton gardens.

• Standard King or Twin Room

Slightly confusing to find entrance & reception & a little bit of confusion over valeting our car lead to having to be rung up twice in the middle of the night but having this service then be complementary more than made up for it.

A great value for money room which was clean & comfortable with a huge very comfy bed & a great view. Enjoyed eating breakfast on the balcony overlooking the river. Good location, took 5 mins to walk to our dinner at a central city restaurant.

N/a

Nice hotel with good views off the Waikato river. Breakfast and dinner was excellent. And very good service starting from reception and the other departments

• Standard King or Twin Room

You can choose between valet parking ($20) or parking at the casino ($15) but if you choose the latter you have to pay every time you take your car

Good location Free unlimited internet

• Standard King or Twin Room

This is an old hotel, has a few dings and scrapes and feels more like a dormitory than a hotel.

Its central, fairly quiet and clean, with a comfortable bed.

• Standard Queen or Twin Room

The hotel offers a valet parking which will cost you $25 per use. The other option is to park at the casino for $20 per day.

Good size room. Friendly staff.

• Standard King or Twin Room

No pillow options in room, all were very large (high). Very noisy at night with guests coming in at all hours (early am) and having conversations in the corridors or calling out between rooms. The walls seem very thin as you can hear neighbouring rooms flushing their toilets and what they're watching on TV.

Very helpful friendly staff. Efficient reception and valet service. Check in and out very easy. Bed was comfortable and room was clean. Nice view. Good restaurant and bar at a fair price.

• Superior Queen or Twin Room

The rudeness of some of the other guests making noise in the corridors lat at night. The breakfast was just okay.

Comfy bed, good shower, pleasant view and very helpful staff.

• Standard King or Twin Room

When 1st checked in we were given a room that wasn't cleaned, BUT staff quickly set us up into a room that was ready. Other than that, awesome stay.

Very clean, quiet, awesome view from our room, very friendly and welcoming staff. Close to casino. Loved the shower and very comfortable bed. Id definitely come back here and stay. Highly recommended 👍

• Standard Queen or Twin Room

Great location, friendly staff and the room was ready and very clean. The food was good and didn't take long and there was very little noise from outside or other guests.

• Standard Queen or Twin Room

The staff are brilliant. Very friendly and efficient. We were a little early but our rooms were ready for us to go to. The next morning when we checked out, we were able to leave our car there while we went a did a bit more shopping. This was so handy particularly when we came back and our bags had already been placed in the vehicle for us. Honey who was our waitress for our evening meal was lovely and coped well with my sister's endless requests and questions. She also remembered us from the last time we had a meal there. Rangi who was our waitress during breakfast was unbelievable - she interacted with us as if we were long-long best friends.

• Standard King or Twin Room

This is the second time I have booked this hotel through a booking site and when we have arrived there is no booking. Thankfully the second time I booked I printed off the confirmation and took it with me as proof. Our dinner was just average.

Hotel is situated in a good central area

Receptionist attitudue

Patience from the Receptionist and some guidance or help on the locality. When we asked for some info. / request while checking-in the Receptionist was look unhappy.... Ask your staff to show some patience and answer questions with grace....

• Superior Queen or Twin Room

We were kept awake by noise in the hallway late at night and woken in the wee small hours by other guests dragging their bags out to outside our door and talking very loudly. We won't stay here again.

The hotel is in a convenient spot and easy to get taxis to and from the train.

• Superior Queen or Twin Room

However, basic kitchen facilities (I thought there would be sink and all)? And bathroom small with tiny shower. $20 parking! And needing deposit. I don't think I read fine print

Beaut views!! Wonderful room decor & ambience ++. Kids felt cozy and watched disney on sky. Big beds and great layout

• Standard Queen or Twin Room

The parking could be included. But Hotel is lovely for an Ibis, compact room but fab location, views, bar and restaurant. Prefer it to the Novotel for value.

Breakfast is expensive if not included. Parking is extra.

• Standard King or Twin Room

Drain in bathroom absolutely stank - very unpleasant. Must have been a conference of young people accommodated there because from 11pm until 4.30am there were groups arriving back shouting up and down the hallway and shrieking with laughter. Overheard others on different floor saying the same thing - no sleep

Location, check in experience great

• Standard Queen or Twin Room

This was a basic hotel with everything available at an extra price which was normally expensive for what is was. If i knew the cost of the additional items, i would have stayed in a nicer hotel where it is included. The room only had a black out curtain with people being able to see in. to get changed i had to turn on the light and close the black out curtain. Net curtains would have done the trick.

Good Location, Friendly Staff

• Superior King or Twin Room

The only issue was the evening meal. The 7 of picked to eat here as we came from all over NZ to be together and it was convenient to eat at the hotel. The food was fairly average but the worst came when the coffees following dinner came in takeaway cups!!!! Yet the breakfast couldn't have been better.

Great service, lovely location. Nice comfy beds

• Superior King or Twin Room

I asked fro a receipt for the extras I was told to wait while he booked out other customers. I was there on Business and was on a tight schedule. ended up having to leave without a receipt. Some of our group were given a complimentary drink some weren't

the room was clean. the bed was comfy. the view from the window was pleasant.

• Standard King or Twin Room

The room although very comfortable was a little noisy. the fridge in particular was a problem until I unplugged it, ditto the air conditioning/heating controls were "clicky' in the wee small hours.

Dinner & breakfast were very nice. The shower was great, nice & powerful. Victoria & the young man who worked Saturday morning were particularly helpful. The room was clean & perfectly serviceable for our needs. Loved the free wifi

• Standard Queen or Twin Room

I would expected more natural juices, instead of "from concentrate". The coffee was no good. Pillows very thin.

It is very close to downtown, transportation center, I-site and commercial centers. The hotel is very nice, it is one of the best ibis I've ever stayed. It has great views to Waikato river.

• Standard King or Twin Room

I chose a non cooked breakfast but my wife chose a cooked breakfast and said by time she sat down it was virtually cold.

The room had a lovely outlook over the city. It had all the amenities we required.

The room was very cold and heating was not working efficiently. I had to request a stand alone heater to be delivered. The bathrooms are small but adequate. Disappointing to discover that there is no room service delivery - guests must collect themselves from the restaurant which is not ideal for a corporate traveller.

The staff were very helpful and extremely friendly - a real asset to this hotel.

• Standard Queen or Twin Room

Bed moved around too much

Included breakfast was brilliant and had something for everyone. The staff were helpful and polite and made everything very easy

Breakfast service

Breakfast was never replenished and food ran out before closing time. This happened at least twice during my stay and cooks were pretty sad to deal with in spite of a branded ACCOR hotel.