Reviews of ibis Wellington 3.5 stars

153 Featherston Street, 6140 Wellington, New Zealand

#21 of 54 hotels in Wellington

5.6

Convenient hotel to stay in

Toilet was close to wall.

Very central. Great TV. Comfortable bed. Friendly and helpful staff. Would certainty stay again David Jones department store just across the road.

Good value family base to explore Welly from.

Would prefer a room with a little kitchen sink.

All the basics you need to use as a base for seeing Wellington. Comfortable beds and clean rooms. Lovely staff.

Wonderful Hotel

The noise in the hall way can be heard. When the next room showers you can hear the water run.

Comfortable beds, great location just a few minutes from cable cars and Te Papa Museum. Our room was serviced before we got back to the hotel every day with our beds made and new towles. Excellent service!

I have stayed in a variety of places over NZ and respect my experience maybe different to others.

If you need parking in Wellington Ibis Hotel only has 18 carparks, so you may want to find one with a car park. Stuffy rooms, difficulty trying to get the right temperature using the in room air conditioning. I had to request for an extra towel and cup for my son as they only set the room up for 2 people and I had booked for 3. It says clearly in the “Quick guide” located in the room call 24/7 we will bring you extra complimentary items for tea and coffee. We rang and we were asked to go down stairs to collect this ourselves. They only use small potties of milk that have a few millimeters of milk in them so expect not to have too many cups of tea. I actually brought a bottle of milk and extra coffee which we finished and it was on my morning of leaving I needed the milk so I only asked the once.

I chose this hotel for the reviews and the number of stars It had. Wellington Ibis Hotel only has 18 carparks. We were lucky enough to get close street parking and the reception would change notes to coins for the meter which is $4.50an hour, free after 6pm Mon - Thur and after 8pm Fri and Sat and Sun. Be careful where you park on weekdays you car will be towed at 7am. The room was cleaned amazingly and we were provided clean towels while we were out and the room service was super fast when we arrived to get us the extra towels and cup. We did not eat in the restaurant but many other places in Wellington and right across the road is a lovely cafe called “Thunderbirds” which was amazing with a voucher obtained from “www.firsttable.co.nz”.

I feel the stay was average, I don’t thibk i would stay there again.
    • Queen Room

Room service had to be picked up in the lobby by us instead of it being brought up to us. The room was small with no opening windows and was super hot. For what we paid I don’t feel it matched at all

Very pleased with everything except the front desk staff
    • Standard Twin Room (4 adults)

Front desk staff were a little disorganized. Manager was not helpful when I was charged a higher rate for an extra booking than the front desk staff had quoted me.

Great location buildings and waterfrontfor accessing government

Central, consistent, clean, comfy

I stay here often as I find the location perfect, the facilities all I require and the price always consistent and reasonable. The staff are great and late check-ins are never a problem. There are good cafes and restaurants in close proximity which normally visit rather than the hotel facilities.

Don’t expect much, that way you won’t be disappointed.

Rooms are ridiculously tiny, bathrooms even more so. One person in the bathroom and it’s full. The quality of furnishings are poor, like cheap beds, single pillows, old and outdated plumbing fixtures etc. We had a broken mirror in our room and the attempted fix was clear tape over the crack...

It was central and pretty close to all sorts of shops. TV was quite new and nice.

Great location, good sized room.

Had to pay for wifi in the room, there was also a super weird scent in their when we arrived which was super strong, almost like an old musky spice scent. There was no window in the room which meant it got very hot, despite using the air conditioner.

Great location, good sized room.

Everything went according to plan.
    • Queen Room

Noises from adjoining room.

The bed was clean and comfortable but room very small. We did enjoy our stay as we were in a convenient part of Wellington which suited our reason for visit. We did receive an email saying we could upgrade for a further $30 payment but on enquiry were unable to do so.

Dry & Warm shelter after the 2018 Wellington marathon
    • Queen Room

Whilst the Hotel Restaurant had a great dinner menu, my starter and Main were served at the same time... considering my Main was the rare steak, i ate this first. In complete contrast to the competitively priced Dinner menu, Breakfast has 3 options -Full Buffet, Continental or Express, priced 25, 18 and 12 respectively..after asking what express was i was informed it was "just toast" ...

Great location and spacious clean room

Everything was great room was great staff were awesome
    • Queen Room

I didnt like the 500g streak for 2 i thought tbat wasnt enough for how we paid it was awesome it was but potion was disappointing and im a really big girl you need to have larger towels .

Everything was great room was great staff were awesome

Staff were very helpful. Location perfect for our short stay
    • Standard Twin Room (4 adults)

The room was only set up for 2 people , but there were 4 of us in the room. We had pre booked so they must have known .

Good location . Friendly staff. Didn't eat at the hotel so could not comment on the food.

Good location and easy check in and check out process.

Breakfast was really disappointing had the continental and got down for breakfast half an hour before the end of service and there was no milk left or any of the pastries etc. Nothing was refilled while we were there until 10am and when I asked the staff about the croissants they said they wouldn't bring anymore out. Later at the table we were told they were cooking some more and would be out in 5 mins, nothing ever came out.

Good location and easy check in and check out process. They held our bags for the day when we checked out so that was really helpful.

Was a nice hotel. Everything you needed was there.

Only thing I was not impressed on was paying for wifi. If you were an accor member you got it for free.

I really enjoyed my stay. Close to town and all the cafes, bars, all within walking distance. The staff were all very helpful.

Too Easy!

I was going to say the lack of sufficient parking in the hotel was a bit frustrating especially as we had come from out of town, but there was free overnight weekend parking in the street around the corner so it really couldn't have been easier.

Such a gorgeous big comfortable bed. The location gave us easy access to the Stadium to watch the All Blacks play. The staff were super friendly and accommodating, and made the whole process too easy. The yummy cheese burger back at the hotel in the bar after the game on a cold and rainy night just topped the evening off perfectly!

Comfortable stay

The wifi could have better, luckily we have the choice to use cbdwifi, available to public around the area

Location, the hotel is new, walking distance to supermarkets and shops, cable cars and the musuems

Great location. Room clean and everything we needed and almost everything we wanted.

Unusual to not have free wifi in hotels of this grading in the CBD. No electric blankets on the beds.

Fantastic location. 5 minutes walk from train station. 2 mins walk to a great selection of restaurants. 2 mins walk to main street shopping. Quiet. Good selection of TV channels. Beds comfy.

Property was in a great location, short walk to te papa as...
    • Queen Room

The duvets did not have covers on them and were put between two sheets which felt a little unhygienic.

Property was in a great location, short walk to te papa as well as being surrounded by cafes.

The location was great.

Took awhile to check in as they didn't know if the room was available even though check in time was at 3pm and we arrived at 5pm. We were away majority of the day expecting a clean room, new towels etc when we got back as we had left the sign on the door to have it cleaned only to be asked at 4pm if we wanted the room cleaned as we were getting ready for dinner. The cleaner had skipped our room as we came back to drop a few things off at lunch time and our room was next to be cleaned but still hadn't done it by the time we came back.

The location was great. Easily accessible to everything wellington has to offer. Quick few minute walk to the museums, supermarket, shopping you name it.

Location was great and staff were friendly.

A pair of earrings in a fabric pouch was stolen from my room (the earrings were not super valuable; the pouch was sentimentally valuable and the fact that the pair was the only pair I was carrying on this business trip made it very annoying that I had to show up to meetings with no accessories) completely unacceptable. Reported the issue on the last day and no one has been in touch.

Location was great and staff were friendly.

Would highly recommend the Ibis Hotel in Wellington!
    • Standard Twin Room (3 Adults)

No dislikes whatsoever!! Absolutely loved our stay at Ibis Wellington!!!!

Like is putting it rather mildly. We absolutely loved our stay at the Ibis Hotel. The staff were friendly and helpful, the room and facililities were excellent. We will definitely be back.

We would stay there again

Lifts were excellent,, $10 lunch was great value- thank you

Would have liked to have had a view onto Featherstone business buildings rather then looking at a concrete block wall - somewhat disappointing.

Very basic.
    • Standard Twin Room (3 Adults)

Very basic. Ibis is basic but it requires a bit more to be added to keep up with the current requirements.

House keeping staff were excellent. Good in house dining. But lack of room service is a pain.

Great location but hotel needs upgrading.
    • Queen Room

The room was quite noisy. There was a constant background noise. We had to turn off the heating as it was almost impossible to hear anything.

Location was great!

Central location , bed large and comfortable though room and bathroom small.

Parking for our car would have been good and when checking in posed problems as taxis were parked in the one space available for hotel patrons

breakfast good . Staff pleasant and helpful.

Chose the hotel for its central location. Thought the tariff was overpriced.

Could only watch TV when lying on the bed. Two double beds instead of a queen size. Only one towel per person provided, surely they could manage to throw in a hand towel.

Central location. Rooms are very clean and functional, but soulless.

Convenient

Staff were exceptional. Friendly and smiling at all times. They went out of their way to help with solving a problem I had that had nothing to do with the hotel. Making a quick phone call that retrieved lost property.

We might try again.

The bed. There were granuals of something under the pillows and we found a long scrunched up hair just as we were about to climb into bed. ICK I did take a photo of that! So I pulled the blanket out of its plastic and we slept under that on top of bed. 😯

Loved the meal but disappointed when we found out the raviolli were frozen and not made on site. 😐 Steaks were perfectly grilled. Salads crisp. Receptionists were great and very happy to help us when we were unable to figure out how to turn on the lights, WiFi etc. (We dont leave home often).

There was a large toe nail clipping in the hallway when we...

There was a large toe nail clipping in the hallway when we arrived on Friday. this was still there when we left on sunday. It was an easy way to tell what room we were in. Just stop at the toenail. Also they forgot to replace our coffee, sugar, and milk for the 2nd day. Man needs coffee at 7am!!

generally met our needs for a convenient, comfortable stay
    • Queen Room

I appreciate it was an extremely cold day but the ambient temperature of the rooms and dining room was quite chilly

I liked the location ... so easy to access downtown

Stayed two nights, clean spacious room, comfortable bed, on...

Stayed two nights, clean spacious room, comfortable bed, on second floor, nil noise from city street. No complaints at all. Featherson Bar a few metres down the road do a fantastic roast dinner for 2 with dessert for $49 choice of a whole roast chicken or roast pork. This is great value! Also close to walk to The Crab Shack and Courtney Place!

Overall good experience - very well located and good price.

Having to pay for Wifi in my room - not even a small amount provided.

Overall was good to stay and will consider again when i am back in 2 weeks. The only thing was that my breakfast tray and another sat by the stairwell and lifts for over 24hrs. Had to let the reception staff know.

Great location, with friendly helpful staff, and spotless comfortable room

Staff in all areas were friendly and helpful, even after we left. I realised later that night I had left something behind in the room and contacted them, they said they would let me know the next morning, but 10 minutes later rang to say it was found. Awesome

My short stay was very good, and I would not hesitate to recommend the Ibis Hotel to anyone .
    • Queen Room

The room was more than comfortable; the staff were all very friendly and helpful; the meals were all value for money, and very well cooked and presented. The hotel was very central and within easy reach of all attractions.

I'll be back!
    • Queen Room

Perhaps some cookies or small snack offerings to add to the free tea and coffee in the room would have been nice, but I was out and about quite a bit so I didn't really miss them.

The room was spotless, the bed was really comfy, breakfast and dinner very enjoyable and the water in the shower hot, strong and plentiful! The location is very central and an easy walk to most places in the central city area.

Central basic hotel with friendly staff

Would love a hand towel in the bathroom! Also instructions about how to get into the car park prior to check in would be great. Being on a busy street, there was nowhere to pull in to be able to check in. We had to find a park , which was not easy and go back to the hotel only to be told how we are able to enter the car park for our parking reservation which is a must! Car park is limited on spaces and a little tight to get into spaces with a big car.

location of this hotel is great. Very central. Staff were all friendly and helpful. Stayed in a twin room on 1st floor. It was very compact, especially the bathroom being a little on the small side. Would stay here again based on location etc. Breakfast was included on our deal and saved going out to find somewhere.

We enjoyed our stay.
    • Queen Room

I think they could have a larger restaurant menu.

We like the Ibis hotel because of it,s location. We also find the staff friendly and helpful which makes for a pleasant stay.

Excellent city location for sightseeing.

Everything was great!

Excellent location in the city near to the railway station. Room was very comfortable and had everything necessary for our one night stay. Breakfast variety was very good and enjoyable. Definitely would stay again when visiting Wellington.

Great price for a central property
    • Queen Room

The pillows were really thin and i asked for more and they said they would bring some to our room but they never arrived.

The staff were really friendly and the location was great for everything we wanted to visit.

Would definitely stay again if it was just two of us!
    • Standard Twin Room (4 adults)

Room was a bit smaller than we were expecting. For two adults and two teenagers space and storage was a bit tight.

Great location as we were in Weillington for a festival nearby. Staff were excellent.

Nice and simple love that we have 24 hr food available

Reminder about breakfast times or a call half an hour before finishing would be good as even tho got breakfast included and check out was 11am, we missed out because the kitchen finished breakfast at 10am.

Easy check in check out !

Wonderful
    • Standard Twin Room (3 Adults)

Not enough parking and then had to pay extra to park 5mins away from hotel worried about my car all night

The whole hotel was nice presention and excellent service and so clean very happy

Close to where we needed to go but not best place to be on holiday weekends.
    • Standard Twin Room (3 Adults)

Restaurant too busy due to holiday weekend closure of many surrounding businesses so we had to find alternative.

Good location for why we were in town.

Great for what we needed.
    • Queen Room

Bit stuffy in the room even with air con running, found it hard to sleep both nights. Showers not very consistent temp running hot and cold.

Perfect location. Clean. Great staff.

For the cost of this place; you can definitely find better alternatives.
    • Standard Twin Room (3 Adults)

We had bookings for two rooms as we were with the wider family which appeared to flumix their computer system. Eventually 20 minutes later they found the missing room, however don't believe it was really our room. Our room was for three adults, yet in the room were only towels for two. The most disappointing though was the breakfast which came (at a cost) with the room. Such poor organisation; cuttlery was missing; half the breakfast items had run out (we were there at 8am) and the restaurant itself was barely 50% capacity.

Location was good; near the train station and water front websites.

Everything was easy even with two children.
    • Standard Twin Room (4 adults)

Everything was easy even with two children. The staff were efficient, kind, friendly and very helpful. Also, all the things that help you when you are travelling had been considered.

perfect location for wharf or westpac stadium or shops
    • Queen Room

on check in got sent to wrong carparking building so check out was a bit of a mission. Manager on duty was really receptive and sorted it immediately however so not a problem

Location, location, location....

Nothing major but difficult to find reasonably priced parking close by, no hand towels provided and very noisy fridge.

Fantastic location close to shops, Westpac Stadium and waterfront.

Would not stay there at weekend again because of the amount of noise.

There was a lot of noise from guests in other rooms & corridors until very late on all 3 nights we were there - doors slamming, thumping and loud voices. Staff responded quickly to a complaint on last night.

Staff were all very friendly and helpful; location was good.

The room was very spacious.
    • iBusiness King Room

I would have liked to have known in advance that parking is a problem. When I booked, I advised we would need to park our car, but I was not advised until the day before we were due there.

The room was very spacious. The bed very comfy.

Nice quiet hotel in good proximity to attractions. Very convenient and comfortable stay.
    • Standard Twin Room (3 Adults)

Rooms need a sink to wash dishes in. Bath would also be nice for children.

Breakfast was nice and plenty of choice. Room was tidy and modern with comfortable bed. Access to car park was easy for use.

Good value and nice staff. Will likely be back

Reserved parking only, wilsons parking has to be used at a cost of $30 a night. Wifi also costs an extra $10 too - should be free with room..

Very tidy and clean. Loved the location and staff were very helpful and polite.

Fair
    • Standard Twin Room (3 Adults)

Tacky room fittings and lack of space to store clothes, no room safes and air conditioning/heating extremely noisey and went to extremes of temperature.

Location and housekeeping staff both very good

Would stay again

Spacious room with two double beds. Were provided free internet access for our week stay by signing up for their free club. Great location. Quiet. Good price.

Disappointing.
    • Standard Twin Room (4 adults)

Our room was stuffy, the air con was not working. Our room was set out for 2 people, we had 4. Three times I asked for more cups , once I asked for more towels, (which we received in a plastic bag with our extra milk ect.. dumped on our bed. We paid good money to stay here. I saved for this trip! really disappointing. We will not stay again.

Spacious room, comfortable bed, good size bathroom, good...

Water temperature very temperamental, stupid hairdryer where you have to hold the on button down all the time

Spacious room, comfortable bed, good size bathroom, good coffee downstairs

Good value for money and handy to the Westpac Stadium

Only negative was a screaming child remaining in the restaurant for the duration of our meal! View non existent out window - straight onto brick wall but not too bothered as not there to look out window! Bathroom is a bit tight on space.

Very friendly wait staff and helpful receptionist. !

The room was very nice. The service was ok.
    • Standard Twin Room (4 adults)

We had 4 people for the booking and there was only 2 of the towels and glasses. The next morning we asked the cleaning staff if we could get more towels and glasses when they serviced the room. When we returned the room had not been serviced and we had to go back down to reception to ask them because no one was picking up the phone at reception.

It was nice and clean when we arrived.

Great location, but not worth the money.
    • Queen Room

The room was really small, to small for a couple. Very clostaphobic no windows for fresh air, and the bathrooms smelt like sewage.

The location was great, and the buffet food services.

Very simple accomodation and facilities, but great location

Only two small towels in the room, could hear people through the walls coughing and talking, you had to pay for wifi and could only have 3 devices connected.

Sausages at buffet breakfast were yum, room was clean, staff accommodated as much as they could for early check in, the location is great

Handy location, clean and tidy place with great staff!
    • Queen Room

Our room wasnt serviced till mid afternoon, which was a bit of a pain because we'd gone out in the morning so that it could get done while we were out. Not a big deal, we just had a drink downstairs while we waited!

Brilliant location. Bed was comfy, buffet breakfast was awesome! Parking was easy and secure.

Well worth the stay and I would stay there again.

The placing of the toilet. I know there is not much that can be done but anyone larger than I do probably has a lot of trouble. Just a comment really.

It was a lovely place to stay. Staff very friendly.

Price gouging at its worst.

Price gouging at its worst. There was a concert on at the time which we were not aware of. We had to overnight in Wellington due to flight connection. I understand the whole supply and demand thing but $400 for a basic basic room is just rediculous. Won’t stay again if I have the choice. Being an Accor member makes little to nondifference.

Location and restaurant

Good location and great for a short stay.
    • Queen Room

Small room, very noisey in the mornings due to street cleaners and rubbish collectors, breakfast expensive. so did not eat there.

location in the CBD and to restaurants etc

not recommended, you can find another decent hotel with similiar price
    • Queen Room

Our room was right next to the staff room and lift, away from the rest. You hear people getting in / out of the lift. The bathroom was clearly converted from a disable toilet with no bathroom tub.

Location was great with access to a few major tourist attractions. Staff at the front desk was friendly.

Frustrating as with better advice 're parking in street and charge for breakfast.

When booking I noticed prominently displayed $1 breakfast but this didn't happen when having breakfast the reason staff told me was because I booked through booking.com. Maybe there was some small print advising of this special but I didn't see it if there was. There was no parking available for my car staff suggested that I could park in Fetherston Street from 6 pm till 8 am but I found out later that it was only one side of street the other where I was parked being a freeway after 7 am.

Room and facilities were fine.

Would definitely go back 100%

The only let down was having no toilet scrubber so when anyone went for #2's you couldn't clean afterwards which was a little disturbing for the next person to see someone else's business they left behind... :/

Room was perfect! Was a relaxing atmosphere and beds were very comfy :)

Had a great weekend, would certainly stay there again, staff where very helpful.

bathroom was very small, had to sit sideways on toilet as it was to close to the wall. TV only had half the available free channels, needed another hot point on other side of bed Restaurant menu was very limited (only 4 mains), and expensive, however plenty of options within 5 minutes walk

very comfortable bed,

Value for money and near to the Bluebridge ferry

Very near to the Bluebridge ferry which was a short walk away with our cases. Also very convenient for looking around the port and the city. Good value for money

Great location, very friendly staff , room was quiet and clean

Very clean and quiet , the staff at front desk on check in were great as it was 2am more than helpful re parking questions etc . Will stay again on next trip

Pleasant

Our room was not made up on the second day. We returned to our room at 5 pm to find our room had not been made up. We rang down to managers desk and they said they would send someone to do it. No one arrived so we corned a housekeeping staff in the hallway who came and made our room up. I think she was about to finish for the day, so you could say she went out of her way, which is more than I can say about the staff on the desk.

Great place to stay
    • Queen Room

Initially my room which was very noisey but it was changed without any problem thank yoy

Staff are very helpful and friendly it was lovely to get a cheerful good morning from housekeeping staff every morning

• Queen Room

Have to pay for wifi, which I find ridiculous (especially for a large chain hotel).

Very good location, within walking distance to lots of things. Friendly staff and 24 hour check in (very handy as our ferry was 2 hours delayed).

The bed was extremely comfortable.
    • Queen Room

No Room service, you had to go to the restaurant to pick your purchase up.

The bed was extremely comfortable. Location to Wellington attractions was excellent.

Browse ibis Wellington traveller photo gallery