Reviews of Distinction Hamilton Hotel & Conference Centre 4 stars

100 Garnett Avenue, Te Rapa, 3200 Hamilton, New Zealand

#33 of 54 hotels in Hamilton

Okay place to stay - quite expensive for families though - no breakfast included in stay
    • Superior Family Room

faulty bed side switches were dangerous and couldn't be used. Chose hotel because of the pool and spa - pool closed and spa didn't work. Both reported but not fixed. A microwave in room recommended!

The extra comfy bed and the 1 bedroom for the children - allowed the family some space

Underwhelmed but OK
    • Standard Twin Room

We booked it based on it having a spa but arrived to find it was under maintenance, we also had snow through our SKY TV and the booking came through incorrectly but that was Booking.com not collecting the 3 adult info properly. Also note you need to carry your suitcases up two levels of stairs.

The beds were comfortable, with loads of pillows and the aircon was warm, room was clean

very comfortable and location great
    • Superior King Room

Bed very comfortable, shower pressure great and shower area easy access to enter, rooms spacious, new carpet laid on floor, heating good and car parking closeby to room .

Nice room for a short stay.
    • Standard Twin Room

We were gutted when on arrival discovered that the pool and spa area were closed. This was not on the hotels website or booking agent information when we booked. This is specifically a pain when this was the reason that we booked the hotel - when we mentioned this to the staff member at the front desk, he simply said well its on the website (which it wasn't), just didn't care. So disappointing.

the recent refurbishment in the rooms was obvious with new carpet, and new fittings in the rooms. Beds were super comfy.

Great stay
    • Standard Twin Room

Two conferences rooms were right next to each other and a lot of noise came through the dividing wall. There were other Conference rooms not in use and it would have been way better if there could have been a room between the two conferences

Great layout

Sheets not changed on bed.
    • Superior King Room

Sheets not changed on bed.Bathroom linen thin and stained.Cup missing and no spare toilet roll.Restaurant meals not worth the money.Poor quality meat and over cooked. Hotel not busy yet given a small room under stair landing and by doors. This is the worst booking done through Booking.com

This stay would have been perfect if the pools were working and my room was ready for me.
    • Standard Twin Room

I booked this hotel through the Booking.com app on my phone on the day we needed the room. There were 3 Hotels my family and I had on our short-list. My kids chose this hotel because it has 3 hot pools. It had been raining continuously that day so the thought of getting into the hot pools was appealing. I inquired about the pools on arrival and was told one wasn't working. When my family and I used the pools less than half an hour later, one of the two remaining pools was not working and the other had a foul musty smell. I let the staff know and they drained the pools - needless to say we did not get to use the pools. Also when we arrived one of our rooms wasn't ready for us - I had to call reception to get house cleaning to sort it out. I am hoping this experience was just unlucky for me, not sure I would book this hotel again.

The bed was extra comfy and the rooms were warm when we entered. The rooms had new carpet laid. The staff were helpful and the location was good very close drive to the base, the city, Te Rapa pools and the zoo, and located just off a main route through Hamilton.

Enjoyed our stay here.
    • Standard Twin Room

The lead into the room is very run down, although we guessing this will be ready for a refurbish soon as the room was absolutely lovely...clean, fresh and well decorated. I always like a bath but unfortunately there wasn't one, however everything else could not be faulted. Well done, Distinction!

The rooms have recently been refurbished...lovely!

The stay was great.
    • Standard Twin Room

Someone before us may have used the kettle to boil something (tea bags ??) and the kettle was dirty. Not a normal issue but such was the case.

Nice and roomy

We will stay here again if we are in Hamilton.
    • Standard Twin Room

Location was a bit further to travel but there were no issues other than slow traffic at times.

The hotel facilities was very good and suited our requirement.

Have stayed here for the last 4 years on average 2 times a...
    • Standard Twin Room

Not a fault of the Hotel, but the children in the adjoining rooms spent most of the night in the hallway playing.

Have stayed here for the last 4 years on average 2 times a year and the upgrades have added value to the experience.

Overnight stay in Hamilton
    • Standard Twin Room

We requested to be close to the pool area, which would mean having a room in wing 600, well, we wont want a room in that wing again. It was like we had gone back in time. It was very dated. The corridoor heading to the rooms was creepy eerie. The toilet wasnt flushing properly, the bathtub had cracks around the skirting. We usually get assigned room on the other wings which are newly renovated and very different to wing 600. The Distinction Hotel is a great place and we normally give good reviews but in this instance, Im sorry to say, does not warrant a good review sadly.

All the staff at The Distinction are wonderful! Thank you for your service.

More suitable for conferences & group bus tours. Not for families in my opinion.
    • Superior King Room

Had to inform staff of several snags in room & bathroom. Bathroom floor not cleaned, hair still on floor after room service had been in. Door difficult to open because of new carpet. Mass catering type dining room which closed one evening due to lack of guests, dinner available in bar.

A la Carte dinner very good. New carpet in room. Close to Minogue Park and lake for walking.

Super comfortable sleep
    • Superior King Room

I wasn't expecting stairs to the room. The shower had a fixed rose, I prefer a detachable, hand-held.

Very spacious. Luxurious new carpet in the room. Bed was huge and so comfortable. Very nice decor. If I was there longer I would have visited the pool.

Good sleep
    • Standard Twin Room

The indoor pool could have been slightly warmer for my liking

Quiet and comfortable. Nice modern room. Room service was fast and food was hot and delicious.

Lovely. Highly recommend
    • Standard Twin Room

Sky TV was all snowy. Spa.pool water was smelly. Could do with a playground on green space

The nice smelly soap and the safe was great. Large tv was good. Swimming area. Carpet.

Very enjoyable stay apart from the room not being serviced to match the quality furnishings
    • Standard Twin Room

The housekeeping badly lets the hotel down, in particular, the toilet area. The grout in the walls and floor of the shower required cleaning and the top of the vanity unit had not been cleaned.

Was upgraded to one of the refurbished rooms which had been undertaken to a very high standard equal to any 5-star hotel. The staff were very helpful and the evening meal in the restaurant was excellent

Great value for money - clean, quiet and very family friend
    • Standard Twin Room

Superior twin room had plush new carpets and very comfy beds. Very clean and spacious for a group of three adults and one child. Gym facilities were perfect and thank goodness for the pool which kept us entertained most of our stay.

Would not stay there again as found it quite a depressing environment
    • Standard Twin Room

On arrival the overall appearance of the hotel was extremely disappointing. It desperately needs a renovation and general cleanup. The entrance way, reception area and beyond was very dark and dreary and uninviting. We ask for a 'renovated' room which appeared to have new carpet and new bed linen but otherwise dreary. Shower pressure was extremely weak. Carpet not vacuumed at all during our 3 day stay. Could hear people talking in room next door. No elevator. Have previously stayed in other 'Distinction Hotel' locations and standard was far superior to this hotel. Overall very disappointed.

Location was Ok but only if you have a car. Staff were very nice.

Relaxing, convenient and enjoyable.
    • Standard Twin Room

Nothing it was all good.

The rooms were spacious and comfortable with great facilities, good to have 2 T.V's so the kids could watch in their room. Kids really enjoyed the swimming and spa pools, also enjoyed having room to play outside. Also I had booked online and made a mistake, when I rang to check the staff were extremely helpful and sorted the problem and gave us a better room.

Overall, our stay was great. Will definitely come back with our next visit to Hamilton.
    • Standard Twin Room

I was looking for a microwave but there was none. Was hoping to cook a popcorn as me and my partner will gonna watch a movie.

Newer room and a big bed. Paid the twin size bed as it is cheaper rather than getting the room with the king size bed. But when staff asked whether me and my companion were a couple, she immediately offered us the room with a bigger bed with no addtl fees which was a plus!!

Everything in one place
    • Superior King Room

Other guests could be a bit loud at night

Bed was very comfortable. Heat pump in room allowed me to cool down. Loved the bath. Room was large with large bed. Staff were excellent, the dryer didn’t go so they went the extra mile and dried my clothes, really appreciated this! Very easy and very comfortable, would definitely recommend. Plenty of parking and great wifi. Food, conference rooms - everything is here under one roof.

Good location.
    • Superior Triple Room

The pool facilities are getting a bit tired. I know they are improving things so I am sure this will soon be improved

Good location. Good size rooms available for families. Friendly staff. Very comfortable beds.

Perfect place for a getaway holiday😊😊
    • Standard Twin Room

Nothing, Everyone was so friendly and the rooms were amazing.

The only reason i ? marked the restaurant question was because we didn’t have anytime to eat at the hotel. We were always out. But for everything else we really enjoyed our stay at this hotel and we would love to go back for another holiday but this time a bit longer.😊

Spacious, comfortable and clean
    • Superior Family Room

My only disappointment was the spa bath had sand in it when we arrived, so it wasn't cleaned and they didn't clean it during room service. Other than that I would recommend staying again. Also the spa pools weren't hot enough.

We had the family room. Spacious, comfy beds, lucious carpet, 55 inch TV in both rooms, huge bathroom/shower. We were a family of five adults so there was a bed for all of us.

Very good in the emergency situation that I was in (e.g. arrived after midnight)
    • Superior King Room

As I wasn't expecting to stay in Hamilton overnight, I didn't have any overnight 'gear' with me and when I asked for a toothbrush there was none available though the night staff did say that they do have them on site.

The room was very well appointed and had everything that I expected.

Very comfortable, rooms well appointed & were given a quiet room as requested.
    • Standard Twin Room

Still a little way to go with replacing carpets in hallways & stairs which currently spoils the first impressions. Spas very chlorinated. Hopefully, they will be upgrading the pool later as well?

Upgraded to a Superior room. Since they took over from the Kingsgate, refurbishment has taken place in the upstairs rooms with plush pile carpet & furnishings.

Convenient
    • Standard Twin Room

The cost of breakfasts- far too expensive. $23 for a continental breakfast really? At a very good cafe a good cooked breakfast can be bought for $18- and that’s a cooked breakfast which you have to pay $30 at the Distinction.

Staff were very helpful.
    • Superior King Room

Location was not what I expected, wanted a place close to freeway. It was difficult to get to, without a GPS we would have been lost. Not in a good part of town to walk or drive for food.

Staff were very helpful. Breakfast was very good, many different foods to pick from.

Overall it was good
    • Standard Twin Room

The shower over the bath is not good for us older people. We stayed at this property in Dec. 2017 and the room we had was bright, clean and had a separate shower

The room was clean and the bed comfortable

good
    • Superior King Room

the receptionist a young boy who i felt was very rude! he accused us of eating in the dining area and asked i pay which we did not! and still te amount of times i said no he didn’t believe us not apologise. i felt this very unprofessional and very ignorant

the air con is amazing and very tidy

Room was great - food standard needs to lift.
    • Standard Twin Room

Food in the restaurant - evening meal was dreadful. Note that it is convenient to eat at the hotel due to the distance from town so they need to ensure this aspect of their offer reflects the cost.

Room was very nice and the bed comfortable.

Value for $$
    • Superior Twin Room

Hotel does need a paint up as looks a bit old from the outside which does not do it justice as its a lovely hotel with a lot of space. Cannot do late checkouts, 10am is 10am unfortunately.

Large, comfy and spacious beds. Good breakfast. Friendly Staff. Excellent Location as near to the town and stadium. Good park car area and free parking. Spacious hotel with lots of room for movement.

My partner and I enjoyed our 1 night stay and would definitely return.
    • Superior King Room

There was a mini bar in our room however nothing but little milk capsules in it. Informed that it is not normally filled up. I think its a bit of a waste of electricity so maybe other alternatives options?

Check in was great. Friendly reception. Room was comfortable and the carpets were deep. Bar was great. Didn't have breakfast as we left to continue our travels. Pool nice and cool. Huge reception area, could fit our house, garage, cars and then some. We ordered KFC delivery and they were prompt. Was cheaper than our mains for 2 would have been. Not complaining though because the food is usually delicious any way. Would definitely return.

Appreciate the help of Jacque but probably not stay again.
    • Superior Family Room

ACs in the room didn't work. It was extremely hot. When we complained initially we're offered a fan. Then Jacque the night manager provided us with two single rooms with working ACs. Also our first room was in a unit with Belgian hockey team with all their equipment in the corridor and entrance. Unit smelt of liniment after their game.

Good location as my son was swimming at Waterworld just around the corner.

Met our needs for one night.
    • Superior King Room

The smell when we first entered our room. The shower wasn't very clean (had mould in it).

Breakfast, location, facilities available (pool was great).

Great access to all Hamilton has to offer at an affordable price and very comfortable.
    • Standard Twin Room

The kids loved the pool and the spas. My only comment would be that you are upgrading and there was an unusual smell in the hallway but not in the room itself. We were on the bottom floor and the pipes or running water noise from upstairs was a little noisy but the beds were comfortable and the room clean and tidy.

Enjoyable, relaxing room away from home.
    • Standard Twin Room

Aircon couldn’t do without it. Comfy, spacious room. Cool pool to dip in after a long day. Water distiller in the gym to fill up our water bottles. Staff who met our needs eg. Easy access to the 100 wing washer and dryer. Friendly staff at breakfast.

Great rooms, friendly staff - close to a lot of things.
    • Standard Twin Room

No obvious signs where lifts were (if any) in the building. We were on the second floor with a huge bag - it was a bit of a hassle carrying it up and down the stairs. Fortunately parking was super close to the entrance.

Comfy beds and friendly staff. I didn't realise that we had arrived early - however they still allowed us to check in. We had trouble with our door - and a staff member was proactive and reached out to us to make sure that we were okay. She got it taken care of quickly as well, awesome stuff!

Wouldn't hestitate to book again. Good quality at a good price
    • Standard Twin Room

The bathroom was a little tired but certainly not as bad as other ones we have come across elsewhere.

Great room. 2 enormous comfortable beds. Parking and reception staff were spot on. The evening meal across at the restaurant and the staff there were very friendly and helpful. After being a little apprehensive about the location we were more than pleased to have booked after locating our room.

We enjoyed our stay but would suggest eating out
    • Standard Twin Room

Thought the food let the place down- was very average not terrible but not good either - except the bacon, that was good

Spacious rooms, quite and lovely staff

Very nice
    • Superior King Room

Well not much if I have to say only one spa pool was operating so I didn’t bother having a spa that night

Friendly staff, clean and modern rooms at a great price.

The cleanliness wasn't quite up to standard as there was...
    • Superior King Room

The cleanliness wasn't quite up to standard as there was a swept pile of dirt in the pool room which had a cockroach in it which doesn't look good. Overall it was a nice comfortable stay.

Lovely overnight stay wanted to stay longer.
    • Superior Family Room

Pool table in bar needed levelling. Room for five could do with more cups we only had two.

Swimming/spa pool area was great. Room was great and bathroom outstanding. Wifi excellent. Thoroughly enjoyed it and will be back.

Very friendly staff. Enjoyable restaurant surroundings. Comfy beds. Excellent location to the Base.
    • Superior Triple Room

Pool was a bit deep for the kids. But still had fun.

The staff were so welcoming and great with the kids. We could use towels from the reception for the pool.

Comfortable beds, the pool was good.
    • Standard Twin Room

Could be a bit noisy when people in other rooms were thumping around upstairs. Door was a bit heavy and difficult to open. Bathroom needs renovating.

Comfortable beds, the pool was good. AC kept the room at a comfortable temperature.

Hamilton hitel5
    • Standard Twin Room

Being on the second floor with no lift. Just have some mobility issues and hadn't thought to request a ground floor room. My fault!

Ode to where we needed to be for the evening ie walking dustance

On arrival we’re were upgraded our room was newly renovated...
    • Standard Twin Room

The pool facilities were nothing like advertised both the main pool and spas weren’t heated.. the spa was barley like warm.

On arrival we’re were upgraded our room was newly renovated bar the bathroom. Very clean & cosy!

Staff were very friendly and the set up was quite different...
    • Standard Twin Room

We were upgraded to a supereier room however the shower did look quite tired and had black mould in the joinery. We had to turn the fridge off as it was very noisy and kept our son awake.

Staff were very friendly and the set up was quite different however nice. The pool and spa area was great.

Perfect!
    • Superior King Room

My fiancé and I enjoyed our stay here. It was very comfortable. no hassles at all and our room was spacious, clean and had everything we needed. Highly recommend this hotel..

The rooms were spacious and nicely decorated
    • Superior King Room

The spa po was very dirty and smelt bad. The pool was very cold and basically unusable

We had stayed in the cbd for 3 nights previously and it was very noisy. The Distinction was far quieter. The rooms were very large and there were lots of free parking onsite

Great value with comfortable ammenities.
    • Standard Twin Room

Some people kept going in and out of their room and letting their door close loudly late in the night.

This hotel is in a nice quiet location with nice surroundings and also not far from the Base shopping centre. The rooms had two armchairs for comfortable seats. The bed was very comfortable too.

Never go back, unclean bathroom and towels
    • Superior King Room

Housekeeper just unlocked the door and came into the room in early morning(didn’t even knock and said HOUSEKEEPING and once she found people still in the room she just disappeared without saying sorry. Bathroom was very disappointed especially shower booth. Mold were everywhere in shower booth wall. I found few hairs in every towel they provided for two days. New towels were yellow and had few brown spot markings. Housekeeper wiped the desk forgot to take the dirty one with her. Wonder they do the job properly or not. Better to pay extra money for better place with clean bathroom next time.

Well priced, excellent room
    • Standard Twin Room

The unit where the small bar fridge was, is poorly ventilated, which meant the fridge was not cooling sufficiently, so I needed to keep the units door open, which meant I could hear the fridge all night.

I had one of the renovated rooms which was nice. The bed was comfortable and the room including the bathroom was cleaned to a high standard.

It was a family occasion and staff were very pleasant and accomodating
    • Superior King Room

The upgrade not carried on into the bathroom area. Dinner at night was very nice but took a long time for everyone to get their meals.

The bed was brilliant but found the pillow a little Firm. Overall the room has been upgraded in the bed/living area but only to find the bathroom a bit of a let down. (cracked tiles on the floor and shower cubicle run down )

Great value for Money, with Great attention by the staff
    • Superior King Room

There was a maori woman I didn't catch her name front desk - very helpful and friendly lovely to deal with and most of all polite. Very very Helpful

Would not stay in such a large hotel again, too noisy and rooms a long way away from car park.
    • Superior King Room

The place is pretty dated and I was in an upstairs room at the back with no lift so I had to carry my cases up a flight of stairs and along a very long corridor to get to my room. The fridge was very noisy and kept turning on and off every five minutes. I went to turn it up to stop it coming on so often but the control knob was missing so I ended up turning it off at the wall overnight. The next day I turned it on again but when I got back to my room that night it wasn't any colder. The room was a bit musty and signs on the window warned to keep them closed for security reasons. Several tiles in the bathroom and shower were cracked. The towels were very yellow and one of the flannels looked like it had been used to wipe a muddy floor! There was a rugby league game on and a lot of the supporters were staying at the hotel, so it was quite noisy as they drove up and down the road behind the motel with horns blaring and music playing. They also made a lot of noise inside the hotel late at night, and were letting off fireworks in the car park. When I went to breakfast at 6.30am there were many people wandering around outside drinking.

The bed was really comfortable, although very high to get in. There was a good range of breakfast items from cooked and continental through to toast. Large bathroom, good sized unit. Staff on reception were friendly. Complimentary toiletries.

Comfort! 10/10 Customer Service! 10/10 Rooms! 10/10 Cleanliness! 10/10 Awesome hotel! Recommend!!
    • Superior King Room

Just a small suggestion but upgrading from Keys to swipe cards would be more convenient and easy to access, we had to first unlock the front door to our building and then unlock our room door.

I have usually used other Hotels when staying in Hamilton, The Novotel & Ibis, I come to Hamilton 2-3 times a year for small weekend getaways. This is the first time I have stayed at The Distinction Hotel and it was by far better than my expectations! The bed was to die for!!!! The comfort was amazing! The room was large and spacious and it was modern, so inviting we didn’t want to leave!! We loved our stay!!!

great short stay will return
    • Standard Twin Room

initially couldn't find the porridge expecting to see near the other cereals however serve table on other side facing our back saw it when we went to get our hot drinks

excellent selection fresh varied and delicious thank you

Will stay again!
    • Superior King Room

Our bathroom was a let down after seeing the new rooms. Not dirty but tired and marked.

Loved the new rooms very comfortable and clean. Staff were very helpful and accomodating as is their norm. We were there on a very busy weekend and noise was minimal even with the fireworks!

nice refurbished rooms clean and fresh
    • Standard Twin Room

Have stayed at the Distinction nearly once a month this year- were fortunate enough to stay in one of the refurbished rooms this time - was nice clean and fresh ordered room service as the restaurant had a conference - food was very nice/tasty

Probably stay elsewhere
    • Standard Twin Room

No hot water in our room, shower & hand basin was luke warm. Sunday Dinner main had little choice and the meat was underdone & tough. No lift, difficulty getting suitcases upstairs. Hallway bleak.

The Sunday Dinner dessert was superb

nice comfortable accomodation
    • Standard Twin Room

The sink in the bathroom needed a decent scrub and there were a couple of long hairs floating round the bathroom that shouldn't have been there

nice comfortable accomodation

Suite very spacious clean, had everything.
    • Superior Family Room

Small things. I like a carton of milk but the lovely girl at the restaurant gave me a jug of milk. Turning the key and pulling the outside door open was difficult.

Suite very spacious clean, had everything.

Couldn't have asked for a better room to suit us.
    • Superior King Room

Toilet leaked water from cistern all the time. I should have reported it but it was the weekend and it really wasn't annoying.

All requests ie disabled parking and a very handy room on the ground floor were easily arranged.

A wonderful place to stay, will definitely be back!
    • Superior Family Room

Lovely big rooms and an amazing bathroom! Very comfortable beds and the staff were helpful and very friendly. We had 3 young children with us and it was a great place to stay with children as there was a lot of space in their room, 3 separate beds and a tv.

Pleasant short term stay.
    • Standard Twin Room

The Gym is pretty low end. It appears like a bunch of second hand equipment from a bankrupt Gym has just been dumped in a room. Some of the equipment isnt functioning properly and needs maintenance.

Good off street parking. The facilities are a bit dated but comfortable and reasonably priced.

Yes very good would come back - in fact have been before years back so gets repeat guest tick!
    • Superior King Room

Restaurant was almost empty yet meal took ages to come. Some confusion over weekend vs weekend menus.

Nice room - door was difficult to close due, I suspect, to new carpet. Bed was super comfy and quiet. TV a bit of an overkill ( screen too large!). Also control not working properly... ??

HIDDEN SUPRISE IF YOU PAYING CASH/EFTPOS
    • Standard Twin Room

This is the second time I've stayed here,..and I have had no problems except that when I checked in...and was paying cash I was asked for a $100 bond!.(refundable)..because the fact i was paying cash!...when I booked with booking.com there was no mention of this BOND....first time I came I paid via credit card. Apparently cash/eftpos they require a bond!...so be aware if you paying cash/eftpos they require $100 bond!

EXCELLENT RELAXING STAY

Nothing i didnt like.

Comfortable, spacious,pleasant staff, relaxing, convenient for all your needs from comfort, to food, room service, quite, just enjoyed my stay.

This is our 4th year staying here; this property fits all our requirements for our stay.
    • Superior Triple Room

The location of this property is perfect for our trip. We stayed in a refurbished room, modern, comfortable and clean. Breakfast buffet is good selection.

Great location for what we needed.
    • Superior King Room

My son was in a standard room and it needed an upgrade. Everything was a bit tired looking. Our biggest disappointment was the pool. It was only very slightly heated - too cold to swim in, and the spa pool wasn't as hot as a spa should be. Two other families came in while we were there and decided against using both the spa and pool as they were too cold.

We had a superior room. No complaints, in fact it was fantastic. Bed was comfy.

Most enjoyable with friendly staff who spoke our lingo!
    • Standard Twin Room

A hand rail in the shower would be an advantage. The outside entrance to accommodation wing could do with a scrub and sweep and entrance foyer immediately through door of wing could do with a vacuuming.

Yes - bed and pillow to my liking - although husband thought the bed was too soft but it suited me.

Reasonable stay
    • Standard Twin Room

The pool and spa pools needed a clean out as the water felt a bit dirty and the photos shown on the website, weren't as accurate as we seen

The bed was comfortable and the accomodation was very close to The Base, why we chose to stay here.

Practical and met requirements.
    • Standard Twin Room

The sofa bed wasn't very good. We needed to change rooms upon arival. It wasn't what I expected and was rather small with few things in the kitchnette but we managed. I wasn't impressed with the room.

Breakfast was nice and communal areas pleasent. Staff were also friendly and helpful providing extra blankets as requested. The entrance was welcoming as well and parking was good.