Reviews of Mataki Motel 4 stars

34 Hotham, 7007 Murchison, New Zealand

#4 of 4 hotels in Murchison

A restful overnight stay.

No complaints

pleasant setting with animals in the field opposite, small garden with fountain. Warm room and good shower. Handy to town. Quiet. A good half way point for travel to West Coast from Golden Bay.

Had all we required for our stay.
    • 1 Bedroom unit

Not many evening eating spots in a small town, but. Looking fa ilities adeauate.

Had all we required for our stay. Staff were friendly and helpful. utumn trees. Delight.

Great Motel for a short stay!
    • Standard Twin Room

Room was a little squashed with both a double bed and single.

Warm welcome on arrival and offer of fresh milk. The room was comfortable with great facilities. Good location in Murchison.

Brief and of necessity.

A rather gloomy and cramped room, very old fashioned decor. I would call it basic. Murchison has little to recommend it to the passing traveller. Would give it a miss next time.

Acceptable place to stay.

The staff had written our complete credit card number (rather than just the last 4 digits) and expiry date on a full page receipt. Not sure if they had kept the paper secure before handing it to us at check in.

The rooms were very clean

The bedspread was really heavy and we need to take it off.
    • Standard Studio

The bedspread was really heavy and we need to take it off. However overall the place was good. Would stay again if in the area and needed accommodation.

great place to stay really quiet
    • 1 Bedroom unit

The Motel was very clean and nicely presented. the couch was a bit soft. The check was good no hassels and we left early the next morning with no hassels

Pleasant enough motel accommodation, good value for money.
    • Standard Studio

There was some washing up liquid and a dishcloth but no sponge/brush etc to actually use in washing up.

An average sized double room with a private bathroom - shower, very small basin and toilet. The facilities included a kettle, toaster and microwave - good value for money, we were very happy with our stay !

Adequate

A bigger mirror in the bathroom set at alevel where stooping to see in it was not necessary. The shower needs a support rail for older travellerts and a soap/shampoo holder.

Everything was as good as could be expeted from and older type of motel. A handy location for trtavellers tak.ng the inland route from Christchurch to Picton.

Good Motel - No Bon Homie
    • Executive Unit

The woman on duty was not a bit friendly, no welcome, how are you or any niceties at all, it all seemed like too much trouble to have us stay, she pointed on the site map where our room was, which in all fairness was just next door, but did not tell us anything else and handed to us half a jug of milk and the keys. There is a launderette available for guests to use but the price is quite high. I went to speak to the woman again, paid for the launderette and asked the location of the pool, I felt as though I was speaking in Martian, the woman, who never did introduce herself, did not seem to comprehend what I was asking, this is not a language misunderstanding as I am English and I believe she was too. Any how she showed me on the map a way to the launderette and pool nearby, so I walked to there, only to have this woman meet me there having taken another route. She called to a man and said that I wanted to wash my clothes, his reply was “Tell her to go somewhere else” he then appeared, saw me and became slightly contrite and explained they were upgrading the electricity so the power would be off. No problem says I, what about my swim, there then ensued what I can only describe as a domestic dispute between the woman and the man which had something to do with the woman’s son going home early and that he was not going to sort the pool out for me. At this juncture I told them not to bother and left them arguing whilst I did my washing in the nearby cheaper launderette. The following morning I returned the clean jug with the keys to the office, the man shouted from the back office “thanks” so I just said “Yeah right” and that was the end of our stay. Would I stay here again, yes the motel itself is good however did I feel like a valued customer and have a good customer experience - absolutely not

The Mataki motel is clean, functional and comfortable with above average cooking facilities and utensils. Bed was comfortable, bathroom and towels clean, table and chairs outside to look at the view, ample on site parking. Situated only a short walk to town which has a French Patisserie, laundrette, shops, restaurants etc. There is also a small swimming pool.

Ok for a stopover

Bit dated, and small washbasin so not possible to fill the kettle. Third bed made the room cramped. It would have been so much better without it.

It was ok for us as a stopover after a day's drive. It was not on a busy road. We booked a studio room and knew it was small. There was a picnic table at the side of the building in a tiny garden which was a plus.

A convenient stopping place on my NZ tour
    • Standard Studio

It was a small room - but I was expecting that. The bed springs had seen better days...

Such a quiet location - it was great waking to the sound of birdsong

I'd stay again.
    • Deluxe Unit

Can't think of anything that I didn't like.

Arrived at 9pm to find my room lit up and a welcome note at the office explaining where to find my unit, and if I had any issues to phone the office. The unit had a good kitchen arrangement, the bed was comfy, and the shower had good pressure, and everything was clean,

We would only stay here again if we stayed in a 1 bedroom unit with full kitchen facilities.
    • Standard Studio

The fact that the unit (even though it was a Studio unit) did not have a wash-up sink. Cups etc. had to be washed in a tiny sink in bathroom, close to toilet. This is a real NIO NO. No toiletries.

Comfortable Bed and quite. The rest could be lived with

There was no Kitchen sink so you had to use the hand basin to fill the jug which you had to use a mug to transfer the water Very messy and not really acceptable

The scenery at the Motel and the sounds excellent

Served the purpose but would not likely return

Had to keep the windows closed as the party next door were smoking and we were down wind of them. Also they sat out late and were quite loud. Luckily they shut down around 10:30 as we had an early morning upcoming. The area we were in. Was older and used a skeleton key. Out of curiosity, I tried my key on another room as we left. If worked?

Had everything I needed suitable for a one night stay
    • Standard Studio

Had everything I needed, however was on the small side particularly the bathroom and lacked space to put things in the bathroom would benefit from a shelf above the sink and another towel rail.....good for one night but may struggle if staying more than one night.

Had everything I needed suitable for a one night stay

A value place to stay for a night...
    • Deluxe Unit

This motel was close to town and they had a secure place to store my bicycle. The room was clean and comfortable and all of the facilities (sinks, refrigerator, toilet, and shower) were in good working order.

Good place to sleep on long journey but eating facilities in town very limited
    • Deluxe Unit

No toiletries - just a small bar of soap. Very few eating places available on a Sunday night and the 2 basic food places overwhelmed with customers

Good size room and big bathroom

We booked this property as stopover on a long journey and were very pleased with the accommodation
    • Standard Twin Room

There wasn’t anything we didn’t like

The motel room was very clean with good bedding (sufficient to keep warm when required) very good towels. There was everything required to make our stay a good one

Good, clean, comfortable accommodation in a very quiet location.
    • 2 Bedroom Unit

The apartment was 2 bed and very expensive considering the price of the smaller apartments. It was, however, quite spacious and would have suited a family well.

We had a 2 bed apartment, although there were only 2 of us, as it was the only accommodation available at short notice. It was self-contained, a good size, had a well-equipped kitchen, and was clean and comfortable in a very quiet location. Staff were friendly and helpful.

Clean, budget option
    • 2 Bedroom Unit

Reception was friendly and accommodating; family room set-up fulfilled our group's needs (two bedrooms with little kitchenette). Nothing fancy, but it was clean.

I wish we could stay more nights
    • Executive Unit

We could arrive well after closing hours which was not a problem at all. The guy at the reception left a phone number and arrived at the motel in 30 seconds despite it was late at night. The room was very big with clean linen and towels, the kitchenette is really well equipped and the bathroom was spacious. Murchison is a characteristic tiny little town offering quite a lot of activities. We will definitely spend a couple of nights there next time.

Excellent overnight accommodation
    • Executive Unit

Unscheduled overnight stay due to closure of Route 1 following Cyclone Gita. Had low expectations of this motel, but very pleasantly surprised on arrival. Chalet accommodation was modern, spacious and spotlessly clean. Staff very helpful. Highly recommended for South Island travellers in similar situation.

Ideal for a 1 night stay .
    • 1 Bedroom unit

tv coverage wasn't very good.

we like to be able to take our dog on holiday with us and this motel was ideal.there were plenty of areas around the motel that we could take her for a walk.

Good stop on the way south.
    • Standard Studio

This is older motel much like most of the places we have stayed in NZ. Very well maintained and cared for. Nice sitting area outside between buildings and each unit has a small table and 2 chairs outside. There is a small fridge, microwave and dishes. Very friendly owners (I assumed)when we arrived. As is typical, there is no air conditioning, but windows open easily.

Nice, clean and peaceful. A very good place to stay.
    • 1 Bedroom unit

Good value for money. Been renovated recently. Very nice bath room. Nice, clean and smell nice. $150 for a unit with one bedroom with double bed - what more can you expect? Staff were all nice and friendly.

Excellent rooms.
    • 1 Bedroom unit

Excellent rooms. Very spacious, clean, and comfortable. Nice amenities like a tv for each sleeping area. Would definitely stay there again and recommend to others.

Excellent place to stay, The town is really nice
    • Standard Studio

The room was a bit hot, It is a good idea to have a fan or an air conditioning

The room was very clean, the town is lovely and there are amazing places to visit near that area.

Couldn't pay me to go back!!!

Booked through booking.com and arrived solo with my small dog(pets allowed as per the info on this site too) on a Saturday afternoon. Checked in with the lady and they had already charged my card, double checked about the dog and the lady said it was fine as long as I would clean up any mess- I assured her I would as she would be in a crate anyway. Got to my room & checked my receipt- noticed that they had overcharged me by $30. I went back to the office & asked about the overcharge as I was only meant to be paying $125 for a night but had been charged $155, lady said it was because I had booked in for 3 people (which shouldn't have mattered anyway as it clearly states $125 per room for a maximum of 3 guests on my booking). She got her partner who was so rude- he told me they had the right to charge me whatever he wanted. Also told me to read my paperwork correctly as I had my facts wrong. I told him I was going to write a review on here as his mannerism was appalling- I left upset and sat outside my room. He then came around the corner and abused me some more and told me he was going to charge me that extra $30 for my dog. I said lets just call this quits and I'll leave to which he replied "you can stay and suffer" I rang my husband & told him & he rang the motel to ask what was going on and the owner hung up on him when he asked for an explanation to what was going on up there. I went down to the pub and talked to some locals and said they have heard similar stories about this man before. In the end I didn't feel safe staying here alone so I went back and handed in my key & told the lady I would not be staying the night as I didn't feel safe- she told me I wasn't getting a refund. I did manage to get a $30 refund from booking.com for the overcharge after submitting an appeal. I would definitely not stay her ever again

N/a

A very pleasant experience. We would go back and stay there anytime.
    • Executive Unit

The gentleman behind the counter was very friendly and knowledgable about the town. It is located a little off the main road but that is not a bad thing. It is a quaint little town and the people are very nice.

Back off the main road, unlimited wifi, good washing machine...
    • 1 Bedroom unit

Small freezer space for slicker pads in fridge, camper van parked outside our kitchen window with man smoking.

Back off the main road, unlimited wifi, good washing machine, helpful man helped me with trailer.

Great place for an overnight stay, quiet and quaint town.
    • Standard Studio

There is not much choice for eating out in the town,but there is a supermarket where we bought food.

We used the gas barbecue provided to cook our evening meal and sat outside to eat which was lovely.

Basic but clean and good location
    • Standard Studio

Nothing in particular to mention.

Quick check in, friendly welcoming. We stayed for 1 night after a long days drive. Clean, quiet and in a good location. No complaints, we were happy with our stay.

A hidden gem.
    • 2 Bedroom Unit

Our two bedroom unit was a cottage over the road from the main motel. It seemed very new and was wonderfully set out for our group of a couple and two single adults. Very clean and comfortable. Lovely veranda to sit and watch the sunset. A wonderful night stay.

Average
    • Standard Studio

Appalling, rude manner that proprietor treated a fellow traveller. Regardless of the issue, this was unacceptable and soured our stay. Room was extremely small and overpriced.

Convenience of location

Decent sized room.

Executive room that I have booked smells bad. Pungent odor in bedroom and bathroom. Walls are pretty thin. Baby next door kept me and my partner awake all night.

Decent sized room.

Ok for something on the cheaper side, but rude staff

The room was simple, but had everything you would need. The bed was creaky and sagged in the middle so not the most comfortable. The toilet had a bit of trouble flushing and the light in the bathroom didn’t work (only the heat lamp). It was a fine room for a last minute booking. We checked in late and called ahead to make sure that was ok. The woman on the phone was friendly and told us how to access our room. We got in late and went straight to bed. In the morning we noticed the invoice that they had given us. We chose a standard room but apparently (after trying it again later) booking.com set the default number of people to 3 when we were booking (there were only 2 of us). We did not catch this error at the time of booking and the hotel charged us extra for a 3rd person (this extra cost was not mentioned at the time of booking, by the way). We thought surely they would be able to correct the error, but we were greeted by the least friendly man I have ever encountered at a hotel. He raised his voice at us and said that it was our mistake and refused to reverse the charge. We felt a complete lack of hospitality at this interaction. If it weren’t for that, the hotel would be average, but after being practically yelled at for “our mistake” (no regard for the fact that computers make mistakes all the time) I would not recommend staying at this hotel at all.

Very clean

Unhappy with service
    • Deluxe Unit

Could not find staff on arrival to check in. We were down graded told the room we booked had been given to people more inportant than us, and told that we had been charged a cheeper rate, they assumed it would be ok. Not even a apology.

Looked a bit basic but everything we needed was there except the option for breakfast
    • Standard Studio

We were on the end of a row of self contained chalets. The bed was comfortable and we had an ensuite shower/toilet room which was fine. There were 3 heaters, a microwave, kettle, table and chairs one armchair and a TV. The cafe or pub for supper were a gentle stroll down the road. The motel was not serving breakfast so we went back to the cafe for that.

Comfortable, but not a good example of "Customer Service" especially on a high volume tourist route
    • Executive Unit

On arrival I requested a continental breakfast, I was told in a very "off Hand" manner that it was not possible as they had no bread. I then discovered there wasn't the usual complimentary milk in fridge. There was not the usual shampoo/conditioner in the shower.

Well appointed, clean and comfortable, the only TV channels available were "Freeview" but this was not an issue. The unit appeared to have had a recent refurbishment.

OK place for 1 night

A bit too basic but fulfilled our needs for 1 night

Property clean & functional but needs a bit of updating No security issues as 3 police officers live on the property

Nice place to break my journey to Picton
    • Standard Studio

No wine glass in cupboard, even if they put cheap ones in would be nice to have one. But owner very obliging when I went to office and asked for one even gave me a crystal one , and explained why they don't put them in.

Very comfortable Motel for my overnight stay, l loved the quiet area with farm land next door. Some of the heaters could probably do with updating but the fan heather was great for size of unit anyway.

Loved the quiet and stillness which helped me sleep in utter peace :)
    • Standard Studio

We arrived late and the Dairy was closing but the Ladies were so helpful and opened the door for us to buy some snacks after 8pm!

The bed was extra comfy. Room was warm before we arrived to 4 degree temperature. Coming from usual tropical temperature, it was super comfortable and warm!

Convenient location to stay between Christchurch and Nelson.
    • 2 Bedroom Unit

Convenient location to stay between Christchurch and Nelson.Spacious unit with all facilities available.Nice little town to walk around with good corner store for supplies and pub for meals.

Good value for family suite a few blocks off the busy highway but close enough to walk to town.
    • 1 Bedroom unit

Gentlemen at front desk was very helpful. We thought we had reserved a room for 4 but actually only had a room for 2. He helped us into a family-sized room for the cost of the additional two people. The room was very spacious including covered parking attached. Excellent value for the size of the room which also had a very nice bathroom. Very clean.

Perfect stopover for a long car journey.
    • Standard Studio

The location was very peaceful and within easy walking distance to the shops further down the road. I arrived later than expected, and phoned ahead to say I would be late, and when I arrived a heater had been turned on in my room. Very much appreciated.

• Reviewed: 30 April 2017

Not exactly what we were expecting and had hoped for...
    • Standard Studio

Didn't realise that when booking.com says kitchenette that all there was would be a microwave and nothing else to cook on so our steak treat didn't happen and we bought takeaways! No sink either- have to use the handbasin to get water to put into a plastic bowl to wash dishes! Not good enough. Bed was harder than the best we slept in the night before..

It was where we wanted to stop and that's about it.

Clean and comfortable night in Murchison
    • Deluxe Unit

The fridge was small. The volunteer fire department is around the corner and when the siren went off it was very loud. A second easy chair would have been nice for watching TV. In the summer, the noise from the pool, which was near to one window, might be distracting. Luckily, too cold for swimming the night we were there.

The bed was comfortable. The kitchen area was functional. The bathroom was roomy and great. Modern look and feel to everything. Clean and tidy and nicely decorated.

• Reviewed: 20 April 2017

After 3 weeks travelling the South, we copped this??
    • Standard Studio

On our arrival we were greeted by a grumpy man, who didn't listen to us. Missed hearing our surname therefore tried to charge us more. It was sorted but we didn't receive an apology.

The Motel was easy to find.

Comfortable and clean
    • Standard Studio

A real door on the bathroom instead of two closet doors would be good!

Standard strip motel stuff - comfy bed, very clean, fittings dated but all functional and nice.

• Reviewed: 13 April 2017

OK for shot pariods.
    • Standard Studio

The room was a bit small. I had difficulty with internet as it came up as 'Limited'. The manager was helpful and I managed to connect but it still was not satisfactory.

The place was OK for 1 night.

• Reviewed: 12 April 2017

Overnight Picton Ferry stay-over.

No problems.

Used for overnight stay (Picton to Oamaru) due to SH1 being closed. Late arrival and 5 am departure. Met all my needs. Internet was fine. Roads around region are a shambles to to road works. Allow an average speed of 60 kmh (for trip timing estimates) through road work areas..

Helpful host, great BBQ facilities.
    • Standard Studio

Not enough powerpoints in kitchenette area, had to either unplug Microwave or Kettle to use either appliance. Need to check if appliances plugged in, as fridge was unplugged initially. Very small bathroom and sink, difficult to wash dishes used with kitchenette.

Helpful host, great BBQ facilities. Easy parking.

• Reviewed: 21 March 2017

Convenient.
    • Standard Studio

Could have had more space to put luggage. One of the bedside lights were not working and the light in the bathroom also not working. we had to put the heater on to get light. The bathroom vanity was not big enough, it was a toilet vanity. Shower very good.

Immaculate units in a quiet location
    • Executive Unit

The nightly rates were a little higher than expected but I think that is due to the fact that the other roads are closed after the Nov 2016 earthquake so the demand for accommodation has risen as everybody drives through Murchison now.

Mataki Lodge is extremely well-maintained. The units are spotless. The Lodge is a few blocks off the main road, which is good since you sleep in peace and quiet, especially now while the main east coast road is closed due to the earthquake in Nov 2016. The owner is friendly and a joy to talk to. He takes a real pride in his property.

• Reviewed: 17 March 2017

Good value motel, but phone ahead if you might be late arriving
    • 2 Bedroom Unit

I telephoned the manager at about 4 pm from Kaikoura to say that we would be late arriving (about 8 pm, due indirectly to earlier SH1 closure), but he clearly wasn't happy about it as apparently they have had problems with no-shows whilst other people have had to sleep in their cars. It was already a long and difficult drive without the added pressure on us to get there as soon as possible in case he gave the room away to someone else. Not what you expect when you've booked somewhere well in advance so you know you have a bed for the night, and you've telephoned on the day to confirm the booking and advise on time of arrival.

Good value 2 bedroom apartment. Spacious, clean and comfortable. Internet worked. Restaurants nearby. Fine for our overnight stop.

• Reviewed: 14 March 2017

Great little spot!
    • Standard Studio

We couldn't find anyone to check us in when we arrived but it was a Sunday afternoon. We shouldn't have judged the book by its cover as our first impression wasn't great but our stay turned out to be a really good one! The ONLY downside was that the shower pressure was a bit weak.

Everything was really good! It's not just a motel room, it's more like a little home. We had a living room, dining table and chairs, well equipped kitchen, great bathroom, lovely comfortable bed and pillows, very peaceful, quiet location and room, we were very happy with it!

• Reviewed: 12 March 2017

Not great
    • 1 Bedroom unit

Room not ready at 3.15pm for check in. NO apology - just "come back in half an hour" NO please or thank you. Room smelled of mold. Sofa needs changing. Loads of sand flies.

• Reviewed: 12 March 2017

The room, though very small, had all we needed for an...
    • Standard Studio

Decorations made it rather depressing. Breakfast was adequate, but really not happy that having booked it in advance we were charged 14 dollars when the handbook advertised it at 12 dollars.

The room, though very small, had all we needed for an overnight stay. Location very quiet and bed comfy.

• Reviewed: 9 March 2017

Excellent motel for a small town, room was large, clean and...
    • 1 Bedroom unit

The price was a little high, has it gone up now that this is the route from Picton to Christchurch?

Excellent motel for a small town, room was large, clean and recently revamped.

• Reviewed: 3 March 2017

Great little place to rest up
    • Standard Studio

The bathroom was small but clean. We had access to basic kitchen facilities such as cutlery,plates, cups,and microwave. The owner was nice enough to provide us with a frying pan for our simple dinner cooking which was lovely. It was a lovely place for a stop over stay.

• Reviewed: 23 February 2017

The staff was pleasant & helpful and...
    • Standard Studio

Very basic accommodations. Adequate but overpriced, in my opinion. No screens on windows (sand flys could get in with windows open) and little ventilation, so it was hot. However, upon request a small fan was provided.

The staff was pleasant & helpful and facilities/accommodations were clean.

• Reviewed: 23 February 2017

Hallelujah!
    • Standard Studio

Hallelujah! This is a motel that takes us back to our younger days when motels were more spacious! A great motel with plenty of room, a full kitchen and a most comfortable bed. Well recommended.

Nice quiet area away from the main road, can park your car...
    • Standard Studio

Not very touristic, just for transit stay

Nice quiet area away from the main road, can park your car în front of your room, nice ensuite and some cooking facilities

Fair accomodation- use if necessary
    • Executive Unit

There were a few other loud guests at one stage having a disagreement though this couldn't be helped. Breakfast menu very basic. To be honest I felt it was a little over priced.

The bed wasn't great in terms of comfort for me, though the room was clean.

• Reviewed: 12 February 2017

Good base for activities.
    • Deluxe Unit

Walking distance to 'town' but not much there. However, the Buller river jet boat and white water rafting are based in Murchison and these are brilliant! The swing bridge and panning for gold also make Murchison well worth a visit.

• Reviewed: 12 February 2017

Clean and tidy.
    • Standard Studio

Over priced. No hooks for clothes in bathroom. Electrical cords all over the place. Lights halfway up the wall. Washing dishes etc in hand basin. Could barely squeeze jug in to fill.

Clean and tidy. Tidy gardens.

• Reviewed: 9 February 2017

It served its purpose
    • Standard Studio

Bathroom was very small with just a tiny cloakroom sink which we couldn't fill the full sized kettle from as it didn't fit under the tap. Also it would have been handy to know what the siren meant when it went off at 5.45am, maybe just a sentence in the guest info book?

Breakfast served in our room was very good

• Reviewed: 31 January 2017

Wouldn't stay in murchison again
    • Standard Studio

Inconsiderate guests who get up early noisily. Very small kitchen facilities. Small bathroom. Only 1 restaurant to eat at night with very limited food choice

Loca room away from main road was good.

• Reviewed: 22 January 2017

it was a bed fo the night on the way to the Picton Ferry
    • Executive Unit

the open wet floor shower was too difficult for someone like me with poor balance who uses a wheelchair

it was a bed fo the night on the way to the Picton Ferry

• Reviewed: 12 January 2017

What a lovely hotel.
    • Deluxe Unit

Book early. Murchison is very popular place to break travel from Picton to Christchurch while S1 is closed.

What a lovely hotel. This place is perfect, far enough off the hwy so no constant traffic noise but a short stroll to shops. Very neat, clean kitchenette and bathroom, comfy bed and friendly staff.

• Reviewed: 9 January 2017

Have stayed before and been satisfied and would stay again.
    • Standard Studio

Units are small OK for couple but would be a squash for 3 people.

Very Clean and suitable for our needs Found a chipped cup that could do with replacing

Nice new furnishings.
    • Deluxe Unit

No milk and minimal toiletries. Tv could only be watched from bed. Fire station across road, 7.20 am siren wake up call!!

Nice new furnishings. Very comfortable bed. Spotlessly clean.

• Reviewed: 9 January 2017

Functional and clean with friendly staff.
    • Executive Unit

Murchison is a bit of a depressing place, and the motel was pretty soulless. Walls are also thin.

Friendly staff, room was clean and functional. Did a job for a one night stay.