Reviews of Millennium Hotel Rotorua 4.5 stars

1270 Hinemaru Street, 3040 Rotorua, New Zealand

#47 of 88 hotels in Rotorua

• Superior Twin Room

An award I won included staying at the millennium for 3nights and I loved everything. When my sister and I did a 8 night trip of the north island I made sure to stay at the millennium since I'd told my sister all about it. It is the perfect place to stay with all the facilities, the beds are super comfy, staff are the loveliest and one even remembered me when i returned! It's also located right in town so close to everything. We also do activities for a good price and the shuttles picked up and dropped off from the motel. I just love this place

Breakfast was overpriced, even with the discount. There is not much to eat, for full breakfast, there is no fresh eggs cooked by chef; no fresh salad etc. Dining room staffs were really inefficient when we tried to get our bill, they seemed a bit lost.

The bar food was good and people are very helpful and nice.

• Double Room with Club Lounge Access - Adult Only

Great facilities and the club room, with breakfast and the evening drinks & food included, was just perfect. The hot pools were so relaxing and my girlfriend went for a massage and she loved it. Staff are very helpful and nice. Room was clean and spacious

• Superior Double or Twin Room with Lake View

I asked for a quiet room and they put me in a room away from the lifts. I always find Millennium Hotel very easy to deal with and always try their best to meet our needs.

• Double Room with Club Lounge Access - Adult Only

The bed was super comfortable, clean room and lovely breakfast and drinks and canapé upstairs at level 5. I would love to go again very soon. Staff were fantastic.

Very rude duty manager called Ram, we were quoted a price over the phone when rang to book a room, I was very specific to what I needed and was quoted a price, upon check in we were told the cost was a further 50.00 and was made to look like I had misunderstood, the lady who took the call then confirmed I was right and this duty manager still refused to help. Dated room with chrome fittings peeling, shower would not regulate and would be freezing cold one minute and extremely hot the next minute, any children in this would get scolded. Fridge was turned of which caused a puddle on floor when we opened it. Wifi kept dropping out.

Excellent location and over all friendly staff, special mention to Jenny restaurant manager who was very pleasant. Great buffet breakfast.

• Superior Twin Room

It took us almost 10 minutes to locate our room. The hotel is actually larger than it appears and the layout is somewhat or a maze. Room number directional signs were confusing. Hotel staff could've provided better instructions on how to get to room and advised location of proper elevator (lift) to use (as there were several which lead to different parts of the hotel).

The rooms were clean, spacious and stocked with essential amenities. Location of hotel was ideal and within walking distance to the lake and city centre. Parking was convenient. Staff were helpful and friendly.

• Superior Twin Room

We were initially charged for breakfast which was actually included in our room rate. I was also nearly charged a 2% credit card surcharge for using a debit/eftpos card. It was all sorted out on check out, but it would have been nice to not have to question both issues.

Bed was very comfortable and the room suited our needs well. Porters were helpful with our luggage and my daughter enjoyed the swimming pool.

• Superior Twin Room

Disgusting bathroom and toilet, the stains on toilet bowl and bathroom vanity looks awful and dirty. The food at restaurant was good but the service not so good. Very confused and unprofessional waiter/ waiterss. We had to remind 3 different people a few times to bring our desert and we were still waiting after 45 mins! Very poor ventilation system at the restaurant, it was like seating in the middle of the kitchen.

Beds were comfortable , The bar lady was very friendly and professional. Breakfast was good too.

• Superior Double or Twin Room with Lake View

This hotel is let down by the meal presentation at the table. HOT FOOD SHOULD ALWAYS BE SERVED ON WARM/ HOT PLATES; particularly in a cold climate like that of Rotorua in the winter. There was No hot press to provide warm plates for the Breakfast cooked Buffet. Despite me telling the door maitre de on the Friday morning; no attempt was made on the Saturday nor Sunday to provide warmed plates. Likewise in the Nikau dining room hot food was served on cold plates each evening. There was no Newspaper order doorknob hanger in our room, we only got a newspaper by going down to the lobby and talking to the Door Man, who efficiently arranged for a Saturday paper delivery. This major shortcoming, at management level, because the staff can only work with what is provided; was a major reason for my low ratings of facilities and value for money. PS: I have a Wife, not a partner; hence no tick in the 'who did you travel with'. We are not all liberal easy option individuals who can' make a commitment in life. Ref your 'wordcount' This report has about 182 words, not 1075.??

Nothng

The staff were most helpful and friendly. The room was very well presented and cleaned each day. The bed was very comfortable. Could not fault the place.

• Superior Double or Twin Room with Lake View

The noise of the air vent was 2 loud. My partner has to wear ear plugs to sleep. The water temperature of the shower is insane, first mins is okay, next mins crazy hot. Too bad

Location is awesome. Staff was helpful Bed was comfortable

• Superior Twin Room - Something for Everyone

Everything was epic as always, your staff are your biggest asset, and that is why we only stay with you when in Rotorua. The only points I would say to look at are on booking.com it says you get a 20% skyline discount and you don't. Also in our room 4503 there was a flickering bulb in bathroom and mould? around the ceiling vents, both not major and didn't bother us, but need addressing.

• Double Room with Club Lounge Access - Adult Only

Bathroom needed some small fixes and updates, but it was ok. Club breakfast could benefit from some small improvements (e.g. nicer breads, butter, and some breakfast-type cheeses like havarti). Must book and pay a small fee to use the hotel sauna.

Nice hotel. Room was warm and the bed was big and very comfy (mattress was soft but great quality). Club lounge was good, particularly for evenings.

Breakfast was not nice - eggs tasteless and bacon and sausages were oily and unpalatable Waited for 20 mins to get a jug of coffee and we had nearly finished breakfast Heating in room was uneffective and stuck on a high heat - bought to attention and no one came to sort out as promised

Close to town Friendly staff

The bathroom wasn’t very clean upon arrival. The bath and shower needed a good scrub and the tiles and shower curtain were dirty. The room was also very hot making it difficult to sleep - and there was a fan you could use but I woke up a lot of times in the night as I then became to cold and had to turn it off, then too hot and had to turn it back on. The walls are also very thin and each morning we woke up when we heard people walking past our room in the corridor. - perhaps signs asking people to be quiet in the hallways could be good.

Great location and has everything you need

Room was much smaller than expected. No free wifi from the room. Cleaners only replaced one toilet roll on day two. Neighbours were noisy. Bed was uncomfortable. Shower was terrible and the bath was too small for my partner. Definitely not worth what we paid!

Zazu bar was good with lovely food

• Superior Twin Room

There wasn't internet connection in our room. The shower was difficult to get in and out of, even for a young person. Not enough lighting or power points in the room.

• Double Room with Club Lounge Access - Adult Only

Unfortunately the private spa was out of order.

We enjoyed the free drinks, cheese and crackers in the evening in the club room. Great value for money.

• Superior Twin Room

Shout out to Sherie she served us our beverages at the bar she was very accommodating. Pool was lovely a little cooler than expected but was nice and clean. Beauty spa could have had its own private section away from the publić otherwise was an awesome stay 😊

• Superior Double or Twin Room with Lake View

Felt restaurant staff when going for dinner didn’t know their specials on offer. Had to ask 3 staff members to get answers.

Good location friendly staff

• Superior Twin Room

The bed was super comfy the best staying bed I’ve ever had. Loved the spa on the deck. Hot and clean. Staff went out of their way to help us and were lovely with our grand children. We felt very comfortable in the bar with our children. Being a large area it meant we had space but still a warm atmosphere. Loved it. Breakfast by the huge indoor pool. Again lots of people there but lots of space for everyone.

• Double Room with Club Lounge Access - Adult Only

had a club floor room with club access could not have been more impressed great nibbles in the evening and good selection of drinks all included in room rate no need for dinner will be back again had a great pool down stairs and and spa pools.

• Deluxe Double Room

The swimming pool was very cold. Room needed a very good dust the tv was layered in dust. No hooks for dressing gowns in hot tub area. Could not get wifi. Man at the reception in the morning had no greeting at all and was very uninformative with the payment process.

• Superior Twin Room

Would like this Hotel to be able to cater for more people like me. Coeliacs.

Great location within walking distance to the Food Court. Great for nights in at the bar with plenty of room.

• Superior Double or Twin Room with Lake View

Shower head was leaking black stuff and door had hairs on it. Curtains were filthy. Shower and bathroom was not cleaned just towels and vanity supplies topped up.

Location pretty good and room view was beautiful

The housekeepers were very noisy in the morning and we were in the very end room. They knocked on the door twice before checkout.

The bed was very large and comfortable. Their was decent space in the room and the breakfast was deliscious. Also we really like the discount cards.

• Superior Double or Twin Room with Lake View

Fantastic place to stay..... Great Staff and All Friendly.... Reception and Bar & Service Staff were very Helpful and Friendly and Nothing was a Problem... We were very Impressed...

• Superior Double or Twin Room with Lake View

The hotel buildings needs renovation. For the price we paid for a lake view, they could easily put 2 outdoors chairs to enjoy the view. The breakfast was awful for the price, even considering the $10 reduction coupon. I would definitely not recommend this Hotel for the asking price for a lake view. Not worth it. Too expensive for the services provided.

Location is perfect at a walking distance from the (expensive) Polynesian Spa. The view from our balcony towards the lake pretty good. The bed xtra comfy.

• Superior Double or Twin Room with Lake View

Bed was super comfy room was clean pool and spa were amazing.. staff were very friendly and helpful..all round great stay will definitely be back again..

Unclean, poor quality air conditioning, uncomfortable, pokey, without many comforts a hotel of this quality usually offers such as mini kitchenette. The breakfast quality was very poor.

Excellent location, could walk to the Polynesian Spa house right from our back door. The food we received with room service was delicious.

Good breakfast choices Service and meal quality in the dining room was excellent even an extra birthday treat "THANKS AGAIN GUYS"

Nothing really.

The hotel rooms were better than expected. From the photos, the room’s design appeared dated but it was surprisingly new. I liked it. Location is good.

• Superior Twin Room

Aircon leaked into to room and flooded the floor. TV had no channels. Called reception and was told to load the channels myself. After this didn't work, I when down to reception and then they told me the paid TV channels system was down and that free to air should still work.

• Double Room with Club Lounge Access - Adult Only

Sadly Sky channels were down - luckily the friendly staff in the Club Lounge sorted us out so we didn’t miss the netball...

Bedroom was a good size, bed was very comfortable, plenty of amenities in room and dressing gowns were a bonus... Gym will appointed & Spa & pool excellent.

Can't get away from the sulfur smell, but that's Rotorua

Very nice hotel, wish I could have stayed longer. Great location, close to lake and surrounding parks

Bathroom was not fully stocked when we checked into our room. The spa pools had no bubble facilities, appeared to be broken and poorly maintained. Restaurant evening meal was overpriced, poorly cooked and overall not to the implied restaurant standard.

I liked the proximity to the gardens, pools and city centre

• Superior Double or Twin Room with Lake View

SPA & Massage - would recommend to have a pre-booking system as we missed getting a booking. my Partner was not happy with this! and I had to then go to Polynesian Spa

The TV was not working for Saturday games. gave me more time to go out and enjoy with my Family or else I would have been stuck in the room.

• Double Room with Club Lounge Access - Adult Only

Parking was minimal had to park on street

Room was spacious, pool and spas were amazing. Plenty of options for in house dining & wining. We didn’t even leave.

• Superior Double or Twin Room with Lake View

Temperature, it’s too hot in the corridors and in the breakfast restaurant The toasters are terrible.

The beds are so comfortable and I love the view from the lakeside

• Superior Twin Room

Our ground floor room was very close to the cobblestone/tiled walkway which separates the lobby and many of the rooms. Suitcases moving across this area made for a lot of noise from very early in the morning.

The pillows were wonderful and room had a nice view across a reserve towards the lake area where there were great short walking tracks along the lake front, which included areas of thermal activity and wildlife.

The air conditioning unit was a bit loud but it had several fan settings and it was good that you didn't need to leave your key card in a slot to access power. The shampoo/conditioner was just shampoo to my mind. I suggest they either change the brand or provide conditioner as well.

The staff were very friendly and helpful and they moved us so we could be in adjoinng rooms. I liked the large spacious foyer of the hotel and it had plenty of seating in groups where you could wait for friends or just relax. The pool area was lovely and clean and the temperature was perfect, as was the spa pool. Good variety of pillows so you could choose the softness, thickness etc. Breakfast was comprehensive, fresh and well stocked. European and Asian style breakfast types were in distinct areas which was sensible.

• Superior Double or Twin Room with Lake View

Fridge in our room was not cold Ventilation in bathroom was not effective

The concierge staff went out of their way to be helpful with our bikes in and out of storage. The spa pools were enjoyed.

No negatives

Friendly and helpful staff at check in, bar staff were about to close but when a group walked held it open for another hour. Rooms were spacious lake view lovely

Bathroom needs refurbishing, along with the elevators, as they were old and musty and dirty. The bar staff were overwhelmed with number of people in the bar and didn’t seem to support each other or look happy.

Room spacious and clean. Lakeside view was welcomed. Location to shopping, lake, points of interest and cafes great.

• Superior Twin Room

Excellent service! Staff were amazing! They really know how to look after their guests! Loved the spas!! Loved the culture and heritage around the place! Stayed for Rotorua half marathon and the location could not have been better!

• Superior Twin Room

Room service is very poor, called twice for shampoo and shop but didn’t provide. Room number 4306 bathroom shower was in very bad condition, not working properly neither hot water was coming. Felt cheated

Bed

• Superior Double or Twin Room with Lake View

Due to it being chilly it would have been nice to raise the pool temp. It was almost impossible to keep the kids quiet in the spa room. Also we had a twin room although it was clean it was tiny and there wasn't much room to dine in.

We loved the spa room and pool especially for the children. We loved that children under 4 could enjoy the breakfast buffet for free and we got discounted prices.

• Superior Twin Room

Club Lounge was great and had plenty of nibbles for afternoon tea. Plenty of parking and close by which is great on a rainy night. Lifts were fast and ALL staff were very helpful and kind. Room was spacious and the king bed was very comfy. Had everything we needed in the room. Pool was a great size and a good temp. View over the lake was gorgeous. Will be coming back to stay next time.

• Double Room with Club Lounge Access - Adult Only

You need to bring the hotel to current standards - whole premises needs a renewal

Staff very friendly and helpful especially the Club Room Manager was exceptional. also the concierge was ever so helpful. I love your staff and can not fault.

No free wifi...to access the internet you have to pay, spa pool didnt seem to work properly and the sauna wasn't a sauna but an electrical heater in a sauna room...they also advertise that use of the spa pool and sauna is an additional cost which i think for a 4 star hotel is a bit much. Not much variety for breakfast.

Location and the bed in the room was v comfortable

• Double Room with Club Lounge Access - Adult Only

My partner and I enjoyed staying at the Millennium Hotel Rotorua, it was very comfy and pleasant, the views were fantastic from our room, over all a very relaxed break away :) :)

• Superior Double or Twin Room with Lake View

I ordered the ceaser salad one night from room service and it was very disappointing. Chicken dry, croutons stale and uneatable. However my partners meal was awesome. Please review this salad.

Dailey make up room service was great, everything really clean.

• Deluxe Double Room

That Breakfast never came the two nights we were there even after I went to the front desk and asked them that I would like x and x for tommorow mornings breakfast.. that didn’t come and wasted time.

Comfy bed. Very friendly and helpful staff in all departments. Be it reception, restaurant, pool and spa and great lock up for your mountain bikes. Nothing too much trouble.

• Deluxe Double Room

Jacuzzi area for room basic and dismal.fan in bathroom broken so room got very steamy when having shower. Road noise could be heard in room. Meal at restaurant expensive and food not very hot

Location good and easy to park

• Superior Twin Room

Perhaps the Zazu bar’s atmosphere could be improved. A bit sterile with the seating arrangements (across the wall seating)

Food was delicious. The staff went above and beyond with helpfulness and we’re welcoming and friendly

• Superior Twin Room

Herb teas as an option in the room. Shampoo and conditioner in the bathroom would have been useful as I forgot my shampoo :)

The bed was good, the spa was great, the staff were excellent, the location fantastic

The room was dark...really dark and the TV was difficult to use. The bathroom could have been cleaner too. The shower was a little annoying as I had to duck to get under it (I'm not exceptionally tall) and it either shot straight down (vertically) or straight out (horizontally).

The staff were really helpful and very approachable and very patient (I was behind a difficult customer when I was checking in)

• Superior Twin Room

As above.. and no easily accessible power point for kettle.

Lively staff but hotel a tad tired. Food ok but not fantastic. Worst thing was note in bathroom asking guest to keep shower curtain inside bath. Problem was curtain 4 inches shorter than bath. Result. Soaking wet floor.

Having a carpet in the spa changing room is a very bad idea. It s time to change this old habit of having carpet everywhere (even in the UK they gave up with that). Really, it stinks, it feel dirty and it so unhygienic...

The restaurant manager was extremely friendly and had good tips to share. The breakfast was good.

• Superior Double or Twin Room with Lake View

rooms weren't really sound proof, you could hear what was happening outside your room easily. I paid for a lake view and was on level 2 so did't see much lake through the trees.

The bed was really comfy and the hotel was in a great location. Breakfast was good selection.

The shower was horrible. It kept changing from freezing cold to scalding hot which actually burnt my skin.

The hotel itself was lovely. We were upgraded and the facilities were great.

• Family Room

I thought there should have been a hot drink station at the buffet breakfast. This is part of my morning routine.

The pool was a great size for the children but the temperature of it was a little too cold. It needed to be heated. The hot tubs were great for adults.

• Superior Twin Room

Money was worth it. We've enjoyed our 1 night stay. We have received a good service and the location was great! Most of all, we loved the beds, very comfy. We will recommend this hotel for sure. 😊

• Double Room with Club Lounge Access - Adult Only

Strongly disagree with on top of an expensive room, being charged 2% for using a credit card. I complained strongly and it was waived

The room was comfortable and clean

* I thought 'private bathroom' on the room description meant it had a spa! We booked the room and realised it wasn't however, cancelling booking would have meant a $159 room fee.

The bed was beautiful! We had the option when booking to chose between a queen and king size, we're happy we chose the bigger bed. It had 'private bathroom' in the description, we paid $159 (I think) for the room and then realised it was a basic bath & shower - the only reason we booked at The Millenium was to enjoy a spa in suite. On top of that it was an EXCELLENT stay! The pool is huge, beautiful, breakfast-side and indoor. Breakfast was complementary with our booking, I thoroughly enjoyed this service though the food wasn't of the highest standard, there was still plenty of it, the variety made it enjoyable, from sausages, bacon, eggs, baked beans, to cereal (of all kinds), fruit, cold ham & cheese, juices (of all kinds also), hot beverages, through to ASIAN food, miso soup, fried noodles, steamed buns, the selection made it all worth it! PLUS the brilliant service from the staff, they continue to hover around making sure you're OK, even collecting things around the buffet for you - indoor seating or pool side. On top of that it was my first motel where I had plenty to enjoy in my room. The first motel I have been in that offered 24HR food services - hot chips, wedges, panini's etc. We had soaps, shampoos, shower caps, robes, slippers, toothbrushes, a shaving kit, and plenty of other little things that I've never received in a motel before, though we had to return the robes :) I really enjoyed what it felt like to be upgraded. We were too early for our room so upon returning at 2pm they still hadn't cleaned it so we were upgraded to a lake-view room - the birds were semi noisey but you got use to it because the door blocked all noise to the outside (we were on the 5th floor). THANK YOU MILLENIUM HOTEL for the real eye opening stay with you in Rotorua <3

• Superior Double or Twin Room with Lake View

Swimming pool was closed at 5pm on our first day then it was closed at 4pm the next day!! Absolutely ridiculous as we purposedly booked this hotel for the indoor/covered pool for our child and the early closure just ruined the whole experience!! This hotel only valued their private functions more than their guests! And we paid really good money probably at an highend scale for Rotorua stay for 2 nights. Also the room wasn’t really ‘Lake View’ room as per booking. It was just ‘Lake facing’ and can hardly see the lake at the 1st floor. Just very disappointed!

Bed was comfortable, location was great.

Bath/ shower was below expectations in both size and quality, room was also very small for the price tag, shower would change temperature regularly at one stage actually burning my girlfriends back and freezing me. the room was also very small and the air con would always cool even when set to warm as we were cold. we walked past several rooms being made up and appeared much nicer than ours

Bed was comfy with an OK view, staff were friendly and the breakfast was perfect.

• Superior Double or Twin Room with Lake View

The room was small for 3 people. Fridge didn’t work. Hotel is looking pretty tired. Ridiculous that at breakfast you have to pay coffee on top of charge for buffet breakfast

The pool could have been heated. The pool could have provided towels and a changing area. Getting to the pool was not clearly sign posted Guest accommodation lifts not clearly signed posted as was easy to end up in the wrong area or at a conference room Hotel very American style could do with some modern renovation.

Staff were friendly Accomodation comfort especially the bed. Central location Easy to find.

Our first room the lights keep blowing the fuse only with 1 charger plugged in. We were moved to another room and the ranch slider did not lock properly . Hotel needs renovating inside and the breakfast was tasteless especially the scrambled eggs

Staff were helpful and good location

• Superior Twin Room

Pool not available first afternoon & evening due to.a function

Comfortable beds. Lovely entrance & foyer. Nice cocktails at the bar & reasonably priced.

• Superior Twin Room

Millennium advertises check in time 2 pm, arrived at 3 pm , to be told rooms not ready.

Was offered a free drink as room was not ready Room service was prompt. Waiter very friendly.

• Superior Twin Room

Our room was beautiful but there were a few things that were under par. Our fridge didnt work properly so it leaked a little and didnt keep anything cold. Our air con was also not working properly, it seemed to make no difference to the temperature in the room. We would have brought these up on the frist day of stay but it took us awhile to realise and we only had a few days to enjoy our stay. The gym is in a very beautiful setting too but is is boiling and fan doesn't cool the room down at such a high height. The pool is also beautiful but with breakfast not finishing till 10am and the dinner show starting at 6:30 we found it difficult to find proper times to swim while we werent wanting to adventure around rotorua.

Your staff are incredible. They go above and beyond in every area imaginable. We were super impressed by the breakfast buffet staff, they had some dificult customers we saw while staying there and they handle every situation professionally no matter how rude the guest is. We were beyond happy when we got back from an amazing day in rotorua to find we left the privacy sign on all day so they simply left us a bag of towels and toiletries by the door incase we needed them (which we did). Our expectations were definately exceeeded. Don't see how anyone could be unhappy with any of your wonderful staff, so nice to be greeted by every single member throughout the building too.