Reviews of Quality Hotel @ The Ambassador 4 stars

86 Ulster Street, Whitiora, Hamilton CBD, 3240 Hamilton, New Zealand

#38 of 54 hotels in Hamilton

There was a guy walking around the car park early hours of the night. Maybe you should have a security guard over night???

Over the weekend our family had 6 rooms there and it was great.

The elevator would play up at times

The location was fantastic considering it was across from a supermarket and 5 minute walk to the city. Heaps of shopping a minute walk away. The rooms were clean and beds were very comfortable.

Xtreme noise from traffic on intersection close by. Room facing busy road. Little sleep. Bathroom extremely small as was the room. Beds quite firm borderline hard. Noise could be heard from passersby in corridor. Lift door stuck & had to pull open. I couldnt get my invoice until i checked out. No signage for entrance into building & we arrived at night.

The lovely lady on departure. Towels were large.

The mattress was so soft, that my back was in so much pain, by 4am I had to move onto the floor where I slept the rest of the night. The bathroom was old, in a bad condition and so small, one could reach all the walls by stretching out one's arms. I am surprised they did not find a way to put the toilet into the bath. The wall to the neighbouring bedroom wall was so thin, that when they had a party next door, till midnight, they could have been on the edge of our bed. I heard every single word of their conversations. The room was very cold, there was a heat pump, but one had to find the instructions on how to use it, which I didn't bother with. The hotel did not have a coffee plunger, or offer any kind of good coffee. There was one mug of a good size for 3 people. It was not worth $138, in fact the backpackers would have been better. It was an awful experience, not to be repeated.

TV Channels were good. Thick blanket which made the floor a bit more easier to sleep on.

There was a lot of road noise outside my window, on a very busy set of traffic lights (other rooms may be better). The air conditioner in the bathroom ran constantly and was very loud. Carpet in hall and stairs was very old and smelled.

Bed was comfortable, full Sky channel range, room was clean and modern.

• Executive Room - Non-Smoking

Room was right by roadside, was bearable, loads of drunk woman returning from a night out made for an unpleasant sleep, woken every hour after midnight with different crowds.

Room was cosy, beds were comfy

Toilet is a bit old and rusty.

The bed is very soft and comfortable. The location of hotel is very good very close to shopping area. Room is a bit too small for two king sized beds.

Only limited facilities in the room, and small bathroom. Pack and Save across the road is convenient but doesn't make for a great balcony view

The hotel offers good value for a clean basic room in Hamilton. Reasonably convenient location near centre

The bed was extremely hard, and the toilet and sink in bathroom were not that clean. Also the spa was stone cold. There was no travel toothpaste. Internet was slow.

Location was great. Towels and linen were awesome. TV with sky.

Room decor was nice but this was the only positive. The Hallways smelled bad, and had badly stained carpet. Very very noisy. Heard everything that happened next door on both sides of me, and the room doors all slammed shut by the closing mechanism design. My room faced a four lane intersection which no amount of double glazing or even ear plugs could counter. The fridge was from the sixties, the bathroom fan didn’t work and the bathroom was tired. When I asked to be moved to a quieter room on my third night, the bathroom fan in there never turned off. I was really really unhappy staying here.

Nice linen.

The bathroom could stand some upgrades.

The staff was very friendly, room was clean and had a nice balcony overlooking the pool area. Parking was free and wifi was unlimited. Having a fridge and a tea kettle was great. Our room was quiet and we enjoyed our stay.

Room was right on the main intersection which was noisy at various times of the night. Recommend requesting a room away from this. Could do with a revamp but was clean and tidy.

Comfortable beds. Friendly staff. Good location.

We stayed for 2 nights in room 225 the traffic during the day is horible may have heard less if we were up a level also no plates/sauces in room, otherwise enjoyable stay

balcony in room, nice abd cosy and warm

• Executive Room - Non-Smoking

We were running really late and they had a way to accommodate this at no cost which I was really appreciative of. The room was really snug and the beds were really comfortable which was another plus. Pak n Sav and KFC are literally across the road which is ANOTHER plus! :) Central town is only a short walk away

The bathroom was a bit run down could do with a sprucevup

Location and service at reception very good. Very acessable loads of parking very good overall

Um...nothing its all we needed for the purpose we were here for very close to our places we needed

I love the hospitality i love the warmth front desk lady is amazing!! 😁

We thought the bathrooms need upgrading and the bed was a little to hard for our liking.

We liked that it was walking distance to most food outlets. Very central and tidy

• Executive Room - Non-Smoking

Probably just two extra toilet paper or so. Not a used one that was almost finish & a new one. For rooms w more than two people.

I “loved” everything!

hot tub was full of floating dry dead skin and small hair room had bugs jumping around coming in tho vent in bathroom we were on 3rd floor and told when we got there the lift was broken and could not be used

the staff were good

• Executive Room - Non-Smoking

The lifts weren't working so it was a bit of a hike up several flights of stairs but it wasn't a bit issue.

Nice comfortable beds in a neat room. Great location in town which suited us as it was walking distance to sporting venues. Air conditioning was a plus as the weather was unusually hot for February.

I booked online and there was at least a half hour transition time from online booking transferring info to the motel. The receptionist wasn't particularly helpful on this front resulting in my kids and I having to wait somewhere else until the booking came through. This was even after she has sighted my booking confirmation. I felt she treated me poorly possibly because of my appearance on the day and the look of my vehicle. Maybe if I had arrived in my Nissan Nirvara and dressed in my normal tidy clothes she may have treated me differently. She did lighten up once the booking came through but her initial reaction left an impression.

Bathroom need renovation. Swimming pool not maintained. Dirty. No house keeping job done. Towels didn’t get changed. Forget about cleaning the room. Housekeeping time says 10am to 3pm. We left our room just before 11am. N still didn’t get done. We would like a fresh towels after a long day. Menu says buffet breakfast is on till 10am but was all packed up by 9am.

Location...

Instead of two queen beds we could have had a table and chairs. Balcony furniture would have been good.

Comfortable room, good beds, cleanliness, clean room, clean pool. Great location opposite Pak n Save.

Bathroom in very poor condition and small with a poor layout. Hotel has used a toilet paper dispenser that is tight to the toilet and dispenses single sheets.....what’s that all about....!

The pool was a great facility to have at the end of a long day travelling. Good value for money by way of price.

No microwave. Beds and pillows really hard. Cigarette smelling pillows. Outside noise loud even w windows/ranch slider closed. Especially the cars that had a boombox n revving up during night. Kids playing in corridors early morning eg: 2-4am. Both pools freezing even though they suggest can be used all year. Requested a ground floor unit, got a 3rd floor one instead.

It had a bath tub. Close to supermarket n some eating outlets.

Being so close to main roads, got a bit noisy on Sat night but that's to be expected.

Staff were pleasant and helpful. Beds were very comfy and room was good size. My family and I enjoyed the pool and hot tub. Laundry facilities were convenient. Location was excellent as just a short walk to everything.

NA

We checked into the Ambassador after a very bad room experience at a local motel. The staff are fantastic, the room was beautiful with a balcony. Loved everything about our stay.

Bathroom was very dated, small for a family of 4, with nowhere to hang wet towels. However we were only there for one night so it did not affect our stay too much.

The beds were super comfy!!!

The pool was dirty and the hot tub Luke warm. Also the staff weren’t very friendly, felt like we were an inconvenience to them. We also asked for directions to Seddon Park and were told it was a 5min walk. Ended up being 20min and with 2 kids it wasn’t really the best option!

The room was clean

Nothing really, would just have preferred a ground floor room, but will stay at the Hotel again

Excellent location, nice clean place with friendly staff. Loved the fact that we could walk to the stadium!

Its a family sized room so I would of liked a bit more space to hang towels to dry. And I would of liked wine glasses in the room. But it wasnt a problem they brought some up to us

The beds were very comfortable. Having a pool at their was excellent. It was great. Not complaints at all

Bathroom could do with a wee upgrade but honestly wasn't too horrible, water pressure was fantastic!

Our room was perfect for what we needed, having air conditioning was a bonus and location was fab! The decor was reasonably modern and fresh which was pleasing as Hotel is a wee dated. We would definately stay again for a short stay

Air conditioner in room wasn’t working properly. Water in hot tub looked quite dirty and kids found a pair of bikini bottoms sitting on the bottom. Although the lady at the front desk when checking in was super friendly and very helpful different lady at front desk when we were checking out was not very friendly at all.

Good location, comfy beds. Room service breakfast was great.

Staff had lost my booking info but found it after approx 20 minutes. Sofa bed my daughter had to sleep on was way too small and the most uncomfortable thing we’d come across to sleep on.

Good location. Nice room.

I didn’t like that we had to leave :(

The amazing customer service we received from Staff. So comfortable & felt like I was home. We travelled from Wellington because my son was competing in the Waka Ama Nationals, everything was taken care of not to mention the price was perfect. We tried to book another night in before we checked in but the hotel was fully booked. Perfect location too! My family will definitely be back

- the communication through reception was quite poor - no one answered the phone between 8 30 pm and 8 30 am - and there was not much provided by way of dishes or facilities

it was convenient - friendly - the children liked the pool - the motel very clean and breakfast very reasonable - the two queen beds were comfortable

Parking entrance is difficult to find at after hours. Staff not too friendly. Fire alarm rang three times at 6am/7am/8am disturbing our sleep.

Strong shower

The bathrooms are very dated - they could do with a bit of TLC. Also the hotel is in the junction of 2 noisy streets, ear plugs recommended!

I've stayed here for the 2nd time. Hotel has its benefits: bar onsite, Sky TV, spa pool, excellent location, supermarket across the road - easy to stock up the fridge in the room with nibbles. I would return. There's a lovely Italian restaurant a few corners away, Caffe Centrale - I highly recommend it!

Room service was average. One of our beds was made with a pillow under the covers half way down the bed. Very strange.

Good location. Pool was well used.

The noise from all rooms, banging from above, loud people and slamming doors in hallway, dirty, loo paper crap, clean cutlery was not replaced, no bowls, worst beds ever!

Pool, location and parking

Breakfast little short after large tourist bus, however staff very nice in clearing tables and ensuring food topped up.

Late night booking. Staff were nice.

Tower rooms/ balconies open out on to a main intersection, make sure to ask for a pool facing room when you book

Friendly, helpful staff, centrally located, good facilities, clean, and value for money

• Executive Room - Non-Smoking

It’s the worst hotel I been in Towels got long hair stick in it There are hair stick in the bath wall and ceiling Hair in the shower curtain & chewing gum Cheap paints in the room Not a secure hotel , doors always open Dirty pool I didn’t had any coffee because the water electrical kettle is so rusty inside that metal float in the water Balcony door is broken and cheaply repaired The whole hotel is very old and the reception it looks like an old motel

the sliding door being left open when we got back from our function about 10pm, it really frightened the kids that someone could have been there. the peeling ceiling in the bathroom was flaking into the bath and the cleaning staff didnt remove it.

judy at receptionist, warm and friendly

Other customers up all night drinking and making lots of noise. Call security but no good out outcome. Lost sleep all night and reason if being in Hamilton affected my performance.

View

I thought the ad said the pools were for year round use but only the spa was warm - the large pools were freezing

Beds were very comfortable and the spa was very nice

• Business Queen Room

Dissapointed on the toilet and shower. It's quite small and everything is old. Didn't quite like it. Floor is quite wet when you enter because the the shower on the bath tab. Everytime you turn it on it splashes to the floor as well :-( .Had a better toilet and shower on the cheaper price we stayed before. Not gonna recommend to my friends.

Big space in bed room

• Business Queen Room

The toilet paper squares. The fact that there was no kitchen facility. Only a jug which you obviously had to fill up from the bathroom, two teaspoons, two coffee cups and two glasses. Wifi was useless and only 1gb upon arrival. Bed was way too hard. The fact that you can't smoke on your balcony, yet other people were on theirs on the other building. The price seemed to expensive for what we stayed in $491 for 4 nights. Could've stayed somewhere else that looked better for a lot cheaper. I even ticked the option to be on the ground floor but nothing was said to me about it upon my arrival. Customer service was appalling from the Indian/Sri Lankan man at reception.

That it was close to where we had to be.

• Business Queen Room

Our room was very noisy (window facing the back main road). Also I was disappointed that I didn't get unlimited wifi. I ran out of data in about an hour.

The hot spa was amazing.

• Business Queen Room

I have arthritis in my back there were no facilities to heat a wheat bag, no microwave, the lift broke down on the first night, had to take the stairs, the toilet seat didn't fit right, every time you sat down you thought you were going to slide off, the amount of cutlery, glasses etc, you would expect in a motel, not a hotel

• Reviewed: 10 June 2017

• Business Queen Room

The power outlets by the bed didn't work.

I've stayed here before and while the facilities are okay it's the restaurant that makes it pretty good

• Executive Room - Non-Smoking

I was expecting the location to be a little closer to the main area of the city (where all restaurants and bars are on Victoria street) from other reviews. We were planning to walk there but ended up taking taxi. There is happy hour at the restaurant attacched to the hotel and advertised at the front desk. We showed up and no one was at the restaurant to help us.

They've got a big supermarket in front of the hotel. The hotel was easy to find when we drove from Waitomo Cave. The front desk people weren't either friendly or unfriendly but it was easy checking in and out.

Tired dirty musty smelling and very dated

Location was good, close to stadium and Pak n Save but right by a very busy noisy intersection, got no sleep-also you can hear everything from the next room, not the greatest when it's a group of young people going out on the town and you have young children trying to sleep

• Reviewed: 17 May 2017

Staff on arrival didn't even welcome us with a simple HI!(very unimpressed !, even my daughter goes wow mum she want friendly ) Bath plug was so dirty the water built up when having a shower ewww! Shower was 1960s.. bathroom terribly small.photos were fake compared to true life. Sorry the first moment when we booked in and had to figure out where our building was in a pace we never stayed before , we knew we had picked th wrong place to stay .

Beds were comfortable Thankgodness and loved how sound proof it was - Thankgodness as 2 rooms next to us having loud drinking. Enjoyed ththe tv best out of all motels.

small rooms, kind of tight, small hallways

A good place to crash after a long day on the road, conveniently located near the supermarket (across the street) and a couple of restaurants nearby.

Nothing👍

Room was spacious and clean. Shower had great water pressure. Having the private balcony was a bonus. Plenty of onsite parking. Supermarket straight across the road and very close to the centre to town.

• Reviewed: 7 May 2017

• Business Queen Room

Unfortunately one incident soured the experience, we were travelling with a dance group so after the long day the girls all went to the pool to unwind. The Front Desk Supervisor came storming down and told the girls to keep the noise down - it was 5.50pm on a Saturday night!

Good location, clean comfortable room and bed.

• Business Queen Room

The bed was too hard. The pillows were too hard.

The bed was like sleeping on concrete as were the pillows. Got no sleep as so uncomfortable. Softer pillows at least would be a plus. They were so hard. Other than that, the room was clean and the shower was nice and hot.

• Reviewed: 30 April 2017

Not much to be honest. The place is a bit dated, and the bathroom was very small, but it was clean and had what you need. It would be nice to have unlimited Internet rather than having it allocated out in 1GB increments, but it wasn't a problem as I made my phone a hot spot for family members.

The room was clean and tidy, with good info in the room about the place. It was also walking distance to the middle of town, supermarket and eateries, and a close drive to shopping centres and movie theatres.

The free Wifi was only for 1gb when there was 3quests we paid for . And we couldn't even swim in the pool it was too cold should at least be warmed up and the location of the pool isn't good right underneath the tower blocking sunlight.

The beds were comfortable.

Not clean. No room service. Barely any walking space. Bad quality bathroom products caused itching and redness. Wifi dropping in and out of service. No lightbulbs in lamps. Broken electric blankets. No mini bar. Given two towels for a family of 4

The beds were soft and they had sky tv

It was a bit out dated. the room next to us was playing loud music. Then when that stopped the loud talking continued into the early hours of the morning and then turned violent, with loud swearing.

The Beds were comfy.

• Reviewed: 13 April 2017

• Business Queen Room

The stairs were a bit of a mission but we walked up the drive and then only had one flight to walk up which was way easier

We were upgraded to a suite which was soooooo nice and comfortable and we had our own washing machine and dryer and great sky channels

• Reviewed: 9 April 2017

• Business Queen Room

Couldn't get the wardrobe door open because the small fridge blocked the doorway, could open the door about 10cm to hang up my clothes.High bath edge to get over to get into the shower, not so good for the less flexible.

Comfy bed, central location. Good shower

• Reviewed: 31 March 2017

• Business Queen Room

Facilities are tired - they really need a make over. There were stains on the chairs in the room - so you didn't feel like using them. The tiles need to be re grouted - not changed...the grout just make's the bathroom look dirty. We would be happy to pay more for a newer room. $20/night to put toward a reno plan - they'd get there in no time!

The staff were excellent. Finding the room - no problem. Parking - a breeze.

• Reviewed: 22 March 2017

• Executive Room - Non-Smoking

What wasnt there to like. Loved it

Love how the room was set up and the flow and cumfort my partner and i felt. Needed that break away from our babys. Will definitely b back :)

• Reviewed: 12 March 2017

• Executive Room - Non-Smoking

shower didn't work, hotel is very tired and in major need of a refit. Room was not serviced properly. It was very expensive for what it was.

Location. Last year we stayed next door at the Clarion and had a much better experience.

• Reviewed: 1 March 2017

The pool was freezing, what little mess I left in the room each day wasn't cleaned. The beds were pulled over not made etc. The wifi was terrible

It was reasonably equipt for a hotel room. Good linen, towels, pool towels. The pool was clean.

• Reviewed: 21 February 2017

• Business Queen Room

Really run down compared to photos advertising it. Bathroom was very tired and the shower head was clogged with limescale. We were in the tower and didn't have any seating on our balcony like the smaller building. Seems expensive after seeing the one my family stayed in just around the corner. They paid 20 dollars more than me but got a jacuzzi bath and 2 bedroom suite.

Location and parking was good, when asked about parking I was told that we could leave the car there even after check out which is good. Staff very friendly. Comfy bed.

• Reviewed: 19 February 2017

• Executive Queen Room

no tissues in bathroom, shower tiles quite slippery due to slight slope, no air conditioning, plug in fan was a bit noisy and didn't cool the room enough. no lift, my wife struggles with stairs

the room was a good size, clean, reasonable amount of kitchen utensils, plenty of seating bathroom was clean and tidy, underground parking was good.

• Reviewed: 11 February 2017

Our family had the breakfast buffet and we ate what was still sitting from us when we arrived and the chef never filled nothing up for us. Definitely not "buffet" as advertised

Bed was comfy

• Reviewed: 6 February 2017

• Business Queen Room

Only thing, I didn't like was the food it was restaurant prices, but not restaurant quality.

Very friendly staff at reception. Had everything we required for a comfortable stay. Room always clean and made up by the time we got back each day. Would happily stay again. Pool was a god sent in this scorching weather. The Hotel was fully booked - that in itself speaks volumes.

• Reviewed: 5 February 2017

The bathroom is tiny.

The location was perfect within walking distance to the CBD, Pak n Save straight across the road. The rooms were amazing, clean and service daily. Free WiFi was a bonus.. Outdoor pools the kids loved it. free use of the Bbq facility. The staff are amazing and friendly. We booked two queen rooms then rang and booked for a 3rd room 2 days prior. . On arrival the rooms were upgraded to business. Our rooms were all located next to each other.. our kids loved it. Thank you

• Reviewed: 5 February 2017

• Business Queen Room

Room smelled like smoke and then smokers nearby added to the bad smell. Couldn't wait to leave as it was disgusting for us non smokers

Free parking

• Reviewed: 31 January 2017

Nothing everything was great. Well maybe the restaurant could have been open on a Sunday.

Clean and tidy & very spacious. Comfortable beds good extra facilities. Loved that there was a pool and restaurant on site.