Reviews of Rydges Auckland 4.5 stars

Cnr Kingston & Federal Streets, 1010 Auckland, New Zealand

#38 of 161 hotels in Auckland

Based on 2003 hotel reviews

Great value for money, lovely staff. Would recommend.
    • Deluxe Room with Two Double Beds and City View

There was a bit of construction noise but the hotel can't really control that.

Comfortable beds. friendly accomodating staff, nice bar area, great location.

We loved the clean rooms and the friendly staff who made us...
    • Deluxe Room with Two Double Beds and City View

We loved the clean rooms and the friendly staff who made us feel so welcome! The staff were so helpful and our view of the Sky Tower from our room was fabulous.

Disappointed
    • Superior Room with Two Double Beds

I didn't like the fact that as I paid with debit card there was a 250 bond and that the staff member who checked me in said it would take a week to refund. He really did not know what he was doing and he made me so upset and did not seem to care. The person who checked me out was polite but then they had to check the room to make sure there were no damages. He said have a seat and i will come and find you when it's done it should be 5 minutes. 15 minutes later he hadn't come so i went back up there and he said oh yeah that's fine you can check out now. Overall I am very disappointed with the staff and the way they handled me with my stay but the room was perfect

Cleanliness of the room

Great place... Check out took too long
    • Superior King Room

A friend and I booked rooms for this place through booking.com. We booked the same room (ended up being next door to each other) she paid $179 and I paid $220..... cant see why there was such a big price difference. Also.... it took 30 minutes to check out which was annoying because I just wanted to leave.

Quick check in. Nice facility. Great location.

This team has no management, they seemed friendly but truly...
    • Deluxe Room with Two Double Beds and City View

This team has no management, they seemed friendly but truly not helpful after all.I lost my Kathmandu warm jacket in the wardrobe of our room, I called back twice, they said it was not there, that's it. No one has made any effort to look for it or call me back with their result, I wondered how could it just disappeared like that when I was 1000% sure it was there, where is the management to handle these things? be careful with your belongings, because you will never ever get it back.

They said they had no rooms, 5 minutes later I’d booked one...
    • Deluxe King Room with City View

They said they had no rooms, 5 minutes later I’d booked one online (3 were available) They took a $10 booing charge, but when I tried to get back to my room I’d been locked or and had to pay for the room up front. I tried to purchase movies, three times, it did not work.

Friendly staff.
    • Superior King Room

Shower set up meant that water went all over the floor and there was very little room in the shower unit and basin to place toiletries.

Friendly staff.

Easy access to room
    • Superior King Room

Bed wasn't made properly it looked good on top but underneath the base sheet wasn't on at the feet end Very disappointed that we had to remake it ourselves to make it more comfortable

Easy access to room

Fine for 1 night, not suitable for families.
    • Deluxe Room with Two Double Beds and City View

The high amount of homeless people so close to the hotel. The reception staff should learn to smile!

Rooms were nice could have been slightly bigger. Beds were very comfortable and the rooms were warm and cosy.

Perfect location, comfort and service.
    • Superior Room with Two Double Beds

Booked another day onto our stay, notified hotel via email about special request to stay in the same room (instead of checking out and in again), the staff were great and were able to make this possible for me.

Hotel got bugs.
    • Deluxe King Room with City View

The room got bugs, wake up with 5-6 red dots of bug bite on each foot! I showed them my feet, and the manager thanked me for telling them. Not a single apology!!!

Very happy with the location/ hotel, would definitely stay again.
    • Deluxe Room with Two Double Beds and City View

Did originally request a Sky Tower view room, which we didn't receive, although did have a great view of the Harbour Bridge instead!

Great location - we had an event at the Sky Tower so it was within walking distance for us.

Fantastic location and great service.
    • Deluxe King Room with City View

Fantastic location - right in the city center, without being noisy. Beautiful room with lovely touches. We were catching a long haul flight the next day and the staff were very accommodating with printing boarding passes and holding our bags after check out until our flight - all done with a smile on their faces. Would definitely stay again.

Better room and facilities than I expected.
    • Deluxe Room with Two Double Beds and City View

On check-out they tried to charge me for meals that were supposed to be included in the deal for my preceding booking (not through booking.com). Staff seemed to need to consult management to get this sorted out. Didn't seem very efficient at reception.

Good quality room. Good breakfast and other meals at the restaurant.

Auckland quicky.
    • Superior King Room

It is 1 block from the Sky Tower, that is what we came to visit in Auckland. Breakfast selection is excellent. They also kept our luggage safe after checkout, so we could sight-see without worry before departing to catch our flight.

Great location.. Bat staff need education 😑
    • Deluxe King Room with City View

The attitude of the staff around serving of Alcohol.. 2 of our party were served water when they ordered.. they had both completed the stair challege as fire fighters earlier in the day, both were well fed and hydrated (water) .. they may have been walking slowly and a bit sore.. but the treatment by staff really took the shine off what should have been a great weekend.

Location, breakfast, late checkout.
    • Superior King Room

Person at check in who gave wrong information. If I didn't know what I was entitled to through the rewards programme would have missed out on these. Also seemed a bit strange to be offered the chance to upgrade and then be told by above person this won't happen for me as all the upgrade rooms were still dirty. I didn't check in early.

Location, breakfast, late checkout.

Our Valet Parker was very courteous.
    • Superior King Room

Not been told how the lift works, felt the staff went very fast at explaining things to a new customer. The shower head on rail was very inadequate!!!

Our Valet Parker was very courteous. Meal room service and food was great for breakfast.

Hotel was in a great location, had a view of the sky tower...
    • Deluxe Room with Two Double Beds and City View

Hotel was in a great location, had a view of the sky tower from our room. Staff were really great. Was no trouble to leave our car in valet and leave our bags at the hotel for a few hours after check out so we could go explore the city!

So close to everything!
    • Superior King Room

Stain on mattress protector, attitude of reception, ( female receptionist, the gentlemen were very professional)

So close to everything! Great breakfast/room service

It was a great stay mostly.
    • Deluxe Room with Two Double Beds and City View

The aircon was broken and kept blowing cold air into the room, in winter it was so cold. When we finally got sick of it and rang reception to ask if someone could fix it they said there was a problem and gave us a little fan heater. Would have been nice to have been told up front there was a problem. I was disappointed I was not offered something to compensate for the lack of heating, given the room was not a cheap room.

The beds were so comfortable!

Very pleasant stay.
    • Superior King Room

The hotel is old and bathroom is dated. The windows opened to walls and other room's window. I had my window drapes drawn all the time we were in.

The service is good and welcoming. The location is very suitable and convenient attending a conference at Sky City Convention Centre. Convenient to catch tours too.

Good city centre base
    • Superior King Room

Bathroom was small and awkward; shower had no door and was inadequately shielded, so whole floor became very wet.

Location and general facilities were good. For a city centre location the hotel does its job well. Room was pleasant and well-furnished.

It was a pleasant stay

Price- overpriced

Excellent position. Attentive staff- in particular, Lenka at reception desk was lovely and patient. Food was nice. I loved fish of the day and vegetable soups.

Was nice but let down with the 2 events already noted
    • Superior King Room

The head board & bed were noisy. (Rm 419) Check out is 11 & we just joined the hotel membership which I thought gave u late check out till 1?We had a knock on door & opened door at 9.30am & 10.30am which I thought was very disappointing

Welcoming feeling when entering room

Greatest location to all CBD & tours etc.... wonderful food with lovely friendly staff.
    • Superior King Room

😩There was a lack of TV channels to watch. Given the price of rooms/hotel expecting more SKY options. 😒There was almost no where to put anything in bathroom...only 2x tiny little glass shelves , painful when trying to apply makeup etc.....I had to leave my make up bag on floor.

Staff very friendly & helpful. Great location to all CBD. Everything was very clean & bed comfortable etc... Breakfast & food excellent 👍 Easy to use Air con Neighbour noise free

Bed was excellent and location handy
    • Superior King Room

The choice of food. The shower was over the bath and the decor of the bathroom wasn’t to the same standard as the room

Bed was excellent and location handy

Awesome stay in city center
    • Deluxe King Room with City View

We came in autumn, and it was a bit cold in our room

Nice view from the window and location - just around a corner from the tower. A decent restaurant inside. Also the hotel was extremely flexible in changing our booking, and after we checked out they allowed us to park our car at their place.

Overall nothing wrong with stay, everyone was pleasant, good venue for our meeting.
    • Superior King Room

Buffet breakfast was a bit average and nowhere near not enough, it was just about cold.

Great venue for business meeting, food provided was really nice.

Very average
    • Superior King Room

The room had a strange smell coming from the bathroom which we told the staff about but nothing was done about it. When we checked out the supervisor said we shouldn’t have told the staff we should have told a manager?! Empty liquor bottle under the bed - not ours. Major road works being done outside which we could hear in our room from 7am.

Bed was comfy

Location was excellent, Nice and close to the bars &...
    • Superior Room with Two Double Beds

The Air-conditioning was cold and couldn't be adjusted so we turned it off, But it would start on it's own after a while.

Location was excellent, Nice and close to the bars & restaurants plus shopping.

Eveything was clean and tidy and a most enjoyable stay
    • Deluxe King Room with City View

We had requested two rooms to be on the same floor if possible, as I had booked them in the same request, but unfortunately my nephew was on a different floor level.

The check in/out was easy and staff were very knowledgeable. Staff were really friendly and happy to help and explained everything clearly.

Theft at Hotel
    • Superior King Room

They did not honour the "Breakfast Included" in the Booking that was booked using this service. The staff at checkout were rude and implied it wasn't their fault that Booking.com were wrong in promoting Breakfast included. Then I to top it off, the staff have stolen my Samsung Wireless phone charger which I left in the room on checkout. When I rang them to report it left in the room they didn't even bother calling me back. We will NEVER stay here again!

Good location but the atmosphere lacked the fun for family vacationers.
    • Superior Room with Two Double Beds

I think staff at the concierge could have been more friendlier or animated. It seemed like they were there just to do their job rather than being happy to have helped people. I got this feeling they didn't want to converse at all so I decided to inquire about the area at the basement of sky tower which was just a block away.

Good location near shops and food places.

Excellent customer service, clean and comfortable
    • Deluxe Room with Two Double Beds and City View

I’d prefer a removable shower head in shower

Check in was easy Staff were attentive Very professional Management was very accommodating Rooms were good size Good view Good bath for our girls Beds comfortable Price was very good

Location was great as very central, room is nice and bed...
    • Deluxe King Room with City View

The bed sheets on our bed didn't even cover or fit the mattress which is bizarre.

Location was great as very central, room is nice and bed comfortable.

Bed comfy, great location!
    • Superior King Room

Parking was a couple of blocks away from the Motel and was hard to find. Parking cost $30 a day or $38 for Valet which I would recommend.

Bed comfy, great location!

Overall very good
    • Superior King Room

Time it took to have valet bring car around on checkout. Steak my husband ordered at dinner undercooked when requested well done and desert below average.

Very comfy bed, facilities met needs, best room snacks and mini bar ever.

Stay ruined by blatant and obnoxious attempt at extortion.
    • Superior Room with Two Double Beds

My daughter accidentally broke a plastic tray. When we told the staff about it they said it would cost $50 to replace. This was a blatant lie as the tray was a cheap plastic tray that wouldn't have cost any more than $5. I felt the hotel tried to extort money from us in a pretty shoddy manner. I shudder to think how many tourists/overseas business people would just passively accept it and then go home with tales about what a scam NZ is.

Good hotel in convenient location
    • Deluxe King Room with City View

Check out experience had a hiccup. Waited a while for staff to help and then got interrupted and had to wait even longer. In general though staff very good. Used the bar and breakfast area and the staff there were all great.

Lovely bar food and breakfast. Good location. Comfortable room

Very nice.
    • Superior King Room

We had asked for early check in after flying from U.S. Had to wait until early afternoon to check in. Check out time is early — 10 am.

Location was great, near ferries and Sky Tower.

Dissapointing
    • Superior King Room

Honestly for the price it was a absolute rip off.plus I paid a extra $100 for a room upgrade near the top floor instead we got a shoe box room our toilet and shower were crammed in what looked like a wardrobe. Never staying there again we ha e stayed in much nicer accommodation for half the price!!! We paid $855 crap!!!

Most enjoyable and comfortable, perhaps the room was a little tired.
    • Deluxe King Room with City View

The bathroom was very small and poky with no space on the vanity even for the toilet bag. Shower was average.

Breakfast was 100%. Catered for GF/DF. So many choices with each dish labeled clearly. Beautifully presented with many different options. Exceptional!!!

Nice stay in Auckland
    • Deluxe Room with Two Double Beds and City View

It was a bit loud near the restaurant.

Staff was very welcoming and even gave us access to the gym to freshen up since we had landed at 6 AM. Our room was ready before normal check-in so it was convenient.

Comfortable, cosy, amazing bed, lovely staff!
    • Deluxe King Room with City View

Parking bay out front was a little chaotic, but was managed really well and our car was brought to us efficiently :)

Outstanding breakfast at Rydges in the morning downstairs (but being Vegan id encourage the hot selection of food selection to have more than tomato and hashbrown for vegan options) but the fruit selection and bliss balls and fresh juices were great, and the bed was amazing to sleep on as well, we both slept really well.

It's convenient very comfortable the staff are always...
    • Deluxe King Room with City View

The valet parking is too expensive especially when your staying more than one night

It's convenient very comfortable the staff are always friendly and polite, The rooms are always clean and well stocked for the fridge bar. The movie options are great on the tv

the location of the the hotel made our visit very good as we could walk to everything we needed
    • Superior King Room

service at the bar was a little slow, but they were busy at the time. room was a little dated

the staff were very friendly, the location good and the rooms clean and tidy

A really nice hotel with friendly stuff and very clean and in a great location
    • Deluxe Room with Two Double Beds and City View

I stayed many times at the Ridges in Rotorua because it is my husbands part of job to travel we the breakfast was always included in our room rate but unfortunately not in Auckland .By the way I wasn't offered a coffee at the Ridges Auckland so I don't know ho to answer that question! Other than that I liked Ridges Auckland the only thing that might stop me next time is breakfas because most of Ridges branches do include it in prece. Thank s

Everything was awesome.
    • Premium King Room with Harbour View

Everything was awesome. The room upgrade was greatly appreciated but the view of the apartment building next door was lacking. We didn’t eat or drink there but I’m sure it too would have been awesome. Overall...excellent! Thanks Rydges!

Very good location close to Sky Tower.
    • Deluxe Room with Two Double Beds and City View

Lack of storage space in bedroom. No complimentary water. Got ripped off on checkout. Not allowed to use prepayment currency card so had to use credit card with charges. Told this was normal for NZ but later found this is not the case and no problems elsewhere. More like 3 star than 4.

Very good location close to Sky Tower. Good selection at breakfast.

Pricey and a bit tired, but awesome location and friendly staff.
    • Deluxe Room with Two Double Beds and City View

Linen in bedroom had a dirty spot and rooms are getting a bit old. Pricey for what you get.

Great location, within walking distance of Sky Tower and main shopping centres. Friendly staff and awesome breakfast.

Average, flat, okay I wouldn’t be breaking my back to book and stay there again.
    • Deluxe King Room with City View

The vibe of the hotel was cold and flat. You have a beautiful hotel, bar and restaurant. Without any personality

I liked the In house Happy Hour in the Bar, a great way to relax after a hard Days travel. You should in courage your Check In staff to make your guests aware of this. The in house cafe stand has an Excellent addition

The room was nice despite being told our room was facing the...
    • Deluxe King Room with City View

A warning prior or at the time of check in, that we would be charged for each item from the minibar would have been nice though, as me and my partner would have not gone through so much items, instead we were left with a hefty bill when it came to check out.

The room was nice despite being told our room was facing the sky tower we had the view of the city but not much of it was seen, as construction sites were blocking it. Valet parking was very convenient though, great service.

Clean, tidy and handy to everything
    • Premium King Room with Harbour View

During the night we got an arctic blast from the air conditioning every 20 - 30 mins. Turned it off in the end and then sweltered. Did have a harbour view but not quite as we expected. Only a brief view over the yacht basin and around a third of the Harbour Bridge. The view from other window was as brick wall

Excellent Breakfast. Room was clean and Bed was comfortable. Close to Sky City, the Viaduct and lovely restaurants.

Not going back.
    • Deluxe Room with Two Double Beds and City View

Worst customer service EVER!! We will never stay at another Rydges again. Staff were extremely unhelpful and rude, when asked to see the manager, he was even worse!

Pricey but good!
    • Deluxe Room with Two Double Beds and City View

Great hotel and amazing location. Would definitely recommend the hotel to and traveler/family/friend who is interested to stay in Auckland near the CBD (Central Business District)

will be back the key issue is value for money which for many is over the top
    • Superior King Room

Only minor we had a room with views but the layout was opposit for this benefit

the aspect that impressed the most was that this was not the first experience with the hotel but we were remembered with friendliness by many of the staff.

Comfortable and immaculate room, handy location, all better than we expected
    • Deluxe King Room with City View

Car parking an expensive add-on but no different from many other Auckland central city hotels

Room was on corner of buildiing with city outlook including of jumpers off nearby Sky Tower. Room was in top condition, immaculately clean and bed very comfortable. Enjoyed tasty dinner in restaurant with good service. Only minutes walk to Queen Streets

Fantastic
    • Premium King Room with Harbour View

No fan in the bathroom and all the pillows were the same size and to high for me so didn’t have the greatest sleep

We were made to feel very special especially eden and Sam they were amazing looked after us so friendly

Happy with everything!
    • Deluxe Room with Two Double Beds and City View

When my friend booked it, all credit card details has provided. I thought everything is paid. Didn't know nothing has been paid. When I checked out, floor manager said I didn't pay. It caused a bit confusion but everything is sorted.

All good. Great location. Big bed...nice!!

Too expensive for the quality of accommodation.
    • Superior King Room

Lighting in bedrooms very poor. No direct light to read in bed. Does nobody read in bed anymore, so you don't provide for this facility? Not enough room around handbasin to store bathroom requirements.

Friendly efficient staff

Awesome stay and would go back again and get the healthy breakfasts
    • Superior King Room

Valet parking took over an hour to get an item from our car and in fact we believe they forgot as we had to chase them twice. parking in town is a real issue

Great location one block from Sky City and easy access onto the motorways. Lovely modern and clean room. The best healthy option breakfasts I have ever had. Beautiful food in the Hotel. Will stay again

The bed was really comfortable, the bathroom was the right...
    • Deluxe King Room with City View

The WIFI didn't really work, but I wasn't really too concerned.

The bed was really comfortable, the bathroom was the right size, we didn't spend much time other than sleeping, but were pleased with room and it's location was spot on, nice and close to Queen Street and SkyCity Casino etc, some good eateries nearby and just good walking distance to a lot of places.

Good property in central location .... Restaurant staff very obliging and pleasant ...
    • Superior King Room

Out look from the room very down market property opposite NOT what you want to see in the morning... Suggest better nets and drapes ... You cant change the view !

proximity to the casino was the only plus
    • Superior King Room

I've stayed in other 4 star hotels in New Zealand and in Prague and Barcelona recently. I don't consider the facilities or service on a par with any of them.

Great location/quiet/comfy
    • Superior King Room

We had a 4 am fire alarm..later learned that this was caused by someone smoking in a hallway. Understand that this is not unusual. Jet lagged, we had to round up passport/phone and walk downstairs/outside. Glad it wasn't raining and we were on the 3rd floor. Management apologized but no free breakfast or other compensation.

Very quiet and comfortable, right downtown. Easy access to downtown rental cars for trips away from Auckland. Bus also very good.

Very tidy, comfortable and conveniently located
    • Superior King Room

Seemed a bit disorganised when arriving before 2pm and wanting to store luggage before checking in. The person on the counter looked a bit shocked (could be a training thing?)

Centrally located, in walking distance of everything in CBD, comfortable, clean, room well laid out, was able to watch TV while sitting on the toilet with the door open - brilliant. Food at the restaurant was lovely and they were quick to fill your cup of water as soon as you had finished it. Liked that I could eat out in the lounge area and not just in the restaurant, very relaxed. Liked that you could choose not to have your room cleaned for the day, so could sleep in and not have to worry about House Cleaning waking me up.

Beds were comfy, pillows good height, easy to walk around...
    • Superior King Room

Would have been nice to have a facility to cater for a quick shower/change prior to leaving for a late evening flight.

Beds were comfy, pillows good height, easy to walk around town from this location.

Really enjoyed our stay. The staff at the front counter we're absolutely lovely.
    • Superior King Room

I really didn't like the shower. It had a partial glass front which was definitely not wide enough to stop water from escaping out and beyond the shower boundary. The floor was all wet and I was trying to be very careful not to spray water everywhere. I think the glass front needs to be wider to cover more of the shower opening. This was the only problem. Everything else was great!!

Everything was clean and tidy and inviting.

Breakfast - not ALL dishes were replenished, this was...
    • Residence King Suite

Breakfast - not ALL dishes were replenished, this was disappointing. As a guest I do not think it is my job to inform staff what needs to be replaced. I even had to ask for more glasses. It is not hard to see. One should be able to enjoy breakfast from starting time to finishing time, and not have to have what's left over. I arrived at 9:50am, I do expect to get the same service as if I was dining at 8am. Thank you

Bed very Comfortable and location was perfect as walking...
    • Superior King Room

Inability to open our Curtains Day or Night due to Huge block of Flats next door whose Balconies all faced our windows. The Room wasn't anywhere close to what the Picture showed although amenities mentioned were in the room .

Bed very Comfortable and location was perfect as walking distance to most things Wifi was fast and generous. Great Cafes and Restaraunts nearby .

Not as nice as pictures on booking , very disappointed
    • Superior Room with Two Double Beds

When we arrived, they questioned our reservation price with booking. When we checked out, they tried to charge me more than booking rate but I had my confirmation with me and I made them honor it, which they did

Beds were clean and comfortable.

Wonderful Staff and Fabulous Location
    • Superior King Room

The only little thing is that the restaurant menu was not as extensive but very very very minor.

The staff were very helpful! Even when I was checking out, I needed to leave a present for a friend who couldn't meet new in time. They went the extra mile to look after it! 5 star service!

We loved our stay!
    • Deluxe Room with Two Double Beds and City View

We loved everything. Used the valet car parking and it was totally worth the money for ease.

The buffet breakfast was amazing! The staff were super helpful and friendly! Couldn't fault the hotel at all. Was clean, tidy and even the maid helped us when we were struggling to carry bags with a young child.

Staff were very helpful and polite.
    • Deluxe Room with Two Double Beds and City View

The beds in our room were doubles which was a little small, but we dealt with it. The lack of a bath in the bathroom was also a little disappointing but understandable given the size of the room. One polite suggestion - putting another chair in the room (besides the desk chair) would be really helpful.

Staff were very helpful and polite. Our room was nice and quiet and the block out curtains worked really well. The lobby was well appointed and plenty of area for us to sit and have a coffee, read the paper and let the kids move around a little. Coffee shop was much appreciated downstairs too. Great view of Sky Tower from our room and the hotel is nice and close to get there.