Reviews of Heartland Hotel Cotswold 3 stars

88-96 Papanui Road, Merivale, Merivale, 8014 Christchurch, New Zealand

#130 of 163 hotels in Christchurch

Much nicer places to stay in Christchurch
    • Two-Bedroom King Suite

There were ants in the bathroom, chips in the bath enamel, old chipped furniture, stains in the carpet and on walls and dust on light fittings. Very run down for cost

Friendly and helpful staff at check in

Smokes and mirrors

My water bottle in the fridge was removed after my first night (not sure why, Hotel was aware I was staying for 2 nights) I requested for a knife (to cut lemons) from reception who asked me to go to Restaurant (not sure why he didn't just ring and have it delivered) I went to the Restaurant and there was no one there to greet me, upstairs was dark so I left. When I walked outside someone called out behind me so I walked back to the restaurant, I asked for a knife to cut lemons and was given a small glass of badly cut lemons. I again asked for a knife and was told "We have no knives?" So I said "Just any knife even a butter knife to cut lemons" and was given a butter knife To see whether of not this was a weird request, a colleague of mine was staying in another room so I asked him if he could ask for a knife, he was given a sharper knife which easily cut through lemons I found the whole experience comical given I had stayed here previously and also laid a complaint to management about service etc

Look from the outside is very medievil

a good hotel with a quirky tudor vibe

we were on the ground floor near the reception. as other guests had early flights there was a lot of coming & going if you required quiet ask for a room in a quieter part of the hotel when you book. it didn't bother us until a group of 12 Chinese people decided to take refuge from the rain under our porch & chattered continuously. the buffet breakfast wasn't great.

the room was clean & well equipped, the bed was comfortable & it was well decorated. there is a bus stop right outside the hotel that will get you into the city centre in 5 to 10minutes. the tudor style of the hotel is very pleasing it is well laid out. the staff are very friendly & helpful. Pedro's lamb takeaway is located 5mins walk away it serves shoulder of lamb slow cooked with scalloped potatoes & is delicious.

Its seen better days; look elsewhere.

Uncomfortable beds, non-working tv remotes and few channels. Overall, the place is creepy and there are much better and newer alternatives that aren't in the middle of nowhere.

A very good location with a bus stop right outside the hotel.

A bit far to walk from rooms to the restaurant area, especially if wet! Food a bit pricey and the breakfast could have been a lot warmer. The automatic toasting machine was a nightmare as they are in most hotels. Either not done enough or well burnt!

Lovely setting, made us think of Stratford 0n Avon in England. Lovely large room which was very comfortable.

Location was decent- about 20min walk to town center.

Noisy room if your room is by the stairs.

Location was decent- about 20min walk to town center. The room was huge (with a living room plus a separate bedroom!) for some reason it felt really cold at night despite turning on the heat (late March) and if your room is by the stairs leading to the 2nd floor it will be super noisy. I got waken up at about 6am. I ate at the restaurant for dinner one night and the food was great (I was pleasantly surprised). The hotel was also a block from a cafe which had great coffee and baked goods.

The nice staff saved the day.
    • Twin Studio

The bed mattresses, pillows are not comfortable. Even the sofa. You sink into them. It seems the materials inside the mattress could be felt already even with the sheets.

Reception staff helped with luggages to and from room on upper floor.

A friendly hotel in a good location.

We used this hotel for one night at the end of our trip to NZ. It was close to the centre and the gardens so suited our plan. We used the swimming pool which could have done with a bit of a clean up but was ok to use. Our room was vast and clean. We found reception staff helpful and polite. We ate in the restaurant and went early as advised by staff that a large party were expected at 7.30. We enjoyed our meal which we ate at a leisurely pace. We were able to leave our bags in a safe place when we went exploring the following morning. A well placed hotel.

Last time we will stay here, its time some money was spent on the place.
    • Two-Bedroom Suite (4 persons)

It was too noisy, rooms need double glazing to block out noise from other travellers. Spouting outside bedroom window falls straight onto driveway so kept us awake all night.

We stayed at the hotel at the beginning of our stay in South...
    • One-Bedroom Suite

We stayed at the hotel at the beginning of our stay in South Island and returned for the last day. Had a room at the back of the hotel this time which was quieter and larger. Lovely evening meal and breakfast. The staff couldn't have done more to help, especially when we had problems printing out our boarding cards.

The style of the hotel
    • One-Bedroom Suite

It was a very hot day when we stayed Although the room was well shaded the addition of air conditioning would be my only suggestion

The style of the hotel Friendliness of staff The food especially breakfast options Spacious room

Good but very bad understanding on the manager as overbooked by human error I would say
    • Two-Bedroom King Suite

The manager said to us 1 thing on the phone come to what we thought he had said the next day wasn't what it was.. we paid for king suite excepted queen suite to our understanding that breakfast was free. That's not what had happened so NO I will not go back there ever and to be honest I was going to put you on media but I won't. .

The pool

Loved it.
    • King Studio

Door only locked with a key. So you had to remember to lock up each time you leave.

Beautiful, older architecture, wonderful people. Restaurant on premises was great.

Hogwarts is worth a stay
    • One-Bedroom Suite

You need to get past the Hogwarts school vibe with the faux Tudor design and furniture - but would stay again for value, comfort and location.

Very spacious rooms, super clean, comfy beds and quality towels.

The hotel was a pleasant surprize.

The hotel was a pleasant surprize. It is an older facility but clean and comfortable. The staff were wonderful, I arrived early from a redeye flight and they let me have my room early, which was such a relief after flying for over night and arriving tired. I would definitely recommend the this place to friends.

Would not stay here again.
    • One-Bedroom Suite

Décor is dated, room was dark. Door banged in the wind. Pillows were dreadful and the bed was uncomfortable.

Close to conference venue. Staff were polite.

Was convenient but would not stay there again.
    • Two-Bedroom Suite

The beds were uncomfortable, the pillows were dreadful. The place is very dated and dark on the inside. Front door banged in the wind making it sound like someone was knocking.

It was well situated. TV in each room was good. Staff were polite but not very well informed.

Was good and central and staff friendly

Tv in living room - wanted one in bedroom but not a deal breaker . No dramas

It was self contained and staff very friendly - it was clean and dinner through room service was great .

Perfect
    • One-Bedroom Suite

I booked my room from 9am but when I arrived it wasn't ready (I was hosting a pop up store). The staff kindly upgraded me to the Royal suite which was ready and absolutely stunning

Loved it, will be my "go to" when in Christchurch again.
    • Twin Studio

Larger more visible room numbers, when arriving at night and trying to find room, had to get out of the car to view room numbers.

Yes indeed the beds were extra comfy - best bed I've slept in, in a hotel/motel. Our unit was so much bigger than anticipated and very welcome. My duaghter calls is the Ella Enchanted motel- and can we please stay at the Ella Enchanted motel. thanks

• Reviewed: 10 June 2017

A good nights sleep every time
    • One-Bedroom Suite

Beds are just the best - a good nights sleep every time. Rooms are really big and cosy. Setting is funky retro style "olde English". Plenty of space for parking, great staff. Way better than staying in a modern multi-storey hotel.

• Reviewed: 18 May 2017

Clean, comfortable and a superb base for looking around...

Parking was sometimes difficult, and the decor was a little 'tired'

Clean, comfortable and a superb base for looking around Christchurch. The bed was very comfortable with lovely linens

• Reviewed: 11 May 2017

Nice place to stay.
    • Twin Studio

No kitchen facilities; had to rinse tea cups in bathroom sink. Lights above twin beds could not be turned off individually.

Very quiet, warm and comfortable room.

• Reviewed: 30 March 2017

Well five star from my side :)
    • Twin Studio

Ummm probbaly they need to write the room numbers more visibly so people can read it easily :) that's it

I love the privacy I get staying here :) I don't like much nosy people but they are so cool :) we cud say one of my best places to stay In while I m in chch thanks guys xx

• Reviewed: 19 February 2017

Would not recommend, way too pricey.

The room service number provided wouldn't answer, as we called it 8 times. The price of the room was ridiculous considering 6 months ago I stayed at Heartland for cheaper and got a way bigger room with more facilities and heaps better quality. The fact I requested a down stairs room and a leave time of 11am instead of 10am, as my partner had just gotten out of hospital from having surgery and noone answered and by the time we got there the rooms were all booked. Am not happy and wont be back.

The bed was comfortable. That is about all I can say.

• Reviewed: 20 January 2017

all was great EXCEPT it was Christmas eve and the front desk...
    • Queen Studio

all was great EXCEPT it was Christmas eve and the front desk manager could not tell me where any religious services were being held. He didn't even know where the local church was located...

• Reviewed: 16 January 2017

A nice hotel but the beds need a re-think
    • King Studio

The "king-size bed" in this hotel was actually 2 singles locked together, giving a raised, firm lump in the middle of the bed. This hotel also does the "doona wrapped in 2 sheets" routine, which is fiddly (keeping at least one sheet folded over the doona (duvet), but also not very hygienic (how do you stop guests putting their sticky fingers all over the doona itself. They also insist on putting an overly-thick, synthetic, padded cover on the mattress, under the fitted sheet. This makes the bed feel hot, ridiculously padded, and clammy, as the thick synthetic layer doesn't breathe very well. No doubt they think it makes it warmer in the bed - well it sure does! Who knows where they get these ideas from.

• Reviewed: 7 January 2017

Relaxing stay at a comfortable and nice environment.

Cleanliness of bathroom, could've been a bit better...(floor area)

The room was very spacious and lots of natural light...bed very comfy with extra fluffy duvet as well as mattress layer...plenty of soft plump pillows. Great pool & area to sit. Rooms were away from the main road, down a driveway, by a courtyard, so nice and quiet.

• Reviewed: 5 January 2017

Great stopover
    • One-Bedroom Suite

Not knowing the pool wasn't available until we wanted to go for a swim which was disappointing.

It was a great room with plenty of floor space which we enjoyed.

Happy end to the holiday.
    • King Studio

Nothing. Maybe a full length mirror could be provided, and coat hooks in entrance?

Location was easy to find, convenient for both the airport and the centre of Christchurch. Room was beautifully furnished, very clean and very spacious. The evening meal in the restaurant was excellent and good value. Perfect stay for the end of our trip to NZ.

• Reviewed: 27 December 2016

Very good Hotel will come back
    • Queen Studio

Butter for the toast with my breakfast also salt and pepper

Was clean and tidy, bed was very comfortable had a bath and shower. Star for good it was all good

• Reviewed: 12 October 2016

Long and no one checked on how is it everything until I checked out.

There is no walking distance to other restaurants, food places or even mall etc

I like the service i received from the guy at front desk. He was well presented, helpful and good communications skill.

• Reviewed: 5 October 2016

Quiet and comfortable
    • Triple Studio

The rooms were very clean and comfortable. The staff were very accommodating. Nothing was too much trouble. The location was a little out of town but quiet. There is a small precinct of cafes and shops a 10 minute walk away which was very handy.

No hot water for 3 days.

No hot water for 3 days. Very basic for the price

Very comfortable and convenient

Noise made by buses

Beds were comfortable

Very old and dated- expensive

Very old and dated- expensive

Rooms very clean and comfortable.
    • Two-Bedroom Suite

The staff in the restaurant were very slack and made you feel very unwelcome. We were even forgotten about.

Rooms were very clean.

fab pool

fab pool

We had a good time

Shower very small

Close to mall and city Restaurant on site Very quiet

Lovely place to stay, we will be back to stay again some time soon.

Having to leave.

The bed topper pad thing was amazing and the whole place had a lovely atmosphere.

Charming English style Hotel with beautiful gardens.
    • One-Bedroom Suite

The bar does not open until 4.30pm.

The rooms are very large and spacious and the bed was very comfortable.

Great food and staff

Great food and staff

Christchurch Hotel

Not enough parking

Unique outlook

Clean and relaxed

Clean and relaxed

• Reviewed: 16 December 2017

Great hotel in great location!
    • King Studio

Great hotel in a great location!

Excellent, good value for money, would recommend.
    • Royal Suite

Beds were comfy, the royal suite was large and spacious, heated bathroom tiles pleasant surprise.

did the job

Bit dated

spacious and cheap, good location

comfortable

bathroom needs upgrade

spacious rooms

good valve for money

good bed plenty of space

The location was good
    • Two-Bedroom Suite (4 persons)

The bed was old and not very comfortable for two people. All the furniture was also very old and had lost comfort

The location was good

Needs an upgrade.

Needs an upgrade.

It is a lovely motor lodge. Roomy, clean, very comfortable beds.

The TV in the lounge was faulty. But the T V in the bedroom worked fine

The Lovely big room. We were upgraded to a suite. Very kind.

• Reviewed: 3 June 2017

Spacious comfy unit

Staff were very helpful

• Reviewed: 5 May 2017

Heartland Hotel Cotswold, the excelent location in Christchurch for a stay
    • Two-Bedroom King Suite

Great accommodation, Fine and good service, First-class breakfast en dining opportunity

• Reviewed: 30 April 2017

Disappointing and doesn't live up to its claims
    • Twin Studio

Tired and in need of maintenance

• Reviewed: 22 April 2017

Restaurant was very good

Place was very dated and compared to other places value only so so.

Restaurant was very good

• Reviewed: 9 April 2017

Exelent

Room number hard to see

Cleanliness

• Reviewed: 9 April 2017

Conveniently located ~ 10 minute walk to downtown...

Conveniently located ~ 10 minute walk to downtown Christchurch. Clean room with helpful staff.

Give Christchurch a chance.

The cost was on the high side.

A comfortable stay, very helpful staff.

• Reviewed: 18 March 2017

Comfortable short term stay

Furniture

Friendly helpful staff and water pressure in shower

• Reviewed: 4 March 2017

meh..!!

No air con

bed was comfy

• Reviewed: 24 February 2017

Overnight in Christchurch

Noisy truck loading something outside our window at 7 am

Great supply of toiletries and we were encouraged to take them with us

• Reviewed: 23 February 2017

Nice location accessbile

No hot water for a night need to change room

The receptionist Maori very pleasant compared to chinese reception

• Reviewed: 22 February 2017

Clean.

Dated decor. Light switches in weird places.

Clean. Soft bed topper. Roomy

• Reviewed: 19 February 2017

The beds were very comfortable

The beds were very comfortable

• Reviewed: 29 January 2017

Fun relaxing time

room needed to be more modern like the room I had stayed in in the past

location, comfy bed

• Reviewed: 27 January 2017

Handy

Not the room advertised on booking.com!

Handy

• Reviewed: 22 January 2017

Front desk guy was neither helpful nor kind

Front desk guy was neither helpful nor kind

• Reviewed: 29 December 2016

Nice place, twin studio is very spacious for two adults and two young kids. The room and bathroom are spotless. Great location

• Reviewed: 18 November 2016

Great staff nice roomy

• Reviewed: 4 November 2016

It was clean and tidy.

I bit dated and old furnishishings and fittings.

It was clean and tidy.

• Reviewed: 12 October 2016

A great location.

NA

Very comfortable, large unit ,warm and quiet.

• Reviewed: 6 October 2016

Convenience.
    • One-Bedroom Suite

Noisy plumbing particularly toilet cisterns. Interrupted sleep due to shower and bathroom noise.

Convenience. Location

• Reviewed: 27 September 2016

Comfortable & affordable

Fantastic location, walking distance to restaurants and shopping centre. Comfortable units and quiet when we stayed.

• Reviewed: 20 May 2016

Found the experience of staying there very pleasurable.

The second time we were there sorry forgot to mention it as we left early in the morning, the hot water was extremely hot burnt hands when washing them. Went from warm to extremely hot very fast.

Found the experience of staying there very pleasurable. The staff were very friendly and helpful. I am fussy towards cleanness was very impressed with the bathroom and room. Kids loved their stay.

There are also 52 reviews without text. These impact the overall review score.