Reviews of Sudima Hotel Lake Rotorua 4 stars

1000 Eruera Street, 3010 Rotorua, New Zealand

#54 of 88 hotels in Rotorua

5.9

Right on central city , handy to find where to eat and do...
    • Superior Room

After all day went out and back to the hotel with clean room but turned out our room hadn’t been service after 5 pm :( that was on second day , the first day they didn’t change bath towels n dirty towels was on my bed:(

Right on central city , handy to find where to eat and do activities.

My worst experience ever in rotorua.
    • Superior Room

My worst experience ever in rotorua. beds were so uncomfortable and on top of that we were given tooms that were next to the road so couldn’t sleep the whole night due to the noise. ontop of that our friends called to ask for water at about 12 am and got told off by saying its too late dnt call us!!! never coming back to you

Short stroll to Pools.
    • Superior Room

Bathroom needs updating- had noisy fan and high bath to climb over to have shower. Lots of condensation on windows in morning when I pulled back curtains. Remote didn't work to turn TV off- had to get out of bed- and TV had very limited Sky channels.

Great location- short stroll to Polynesian Pools, and short walk to Government Gardens and lakeside walking track.

Staff are awesome
    • Superior Room

The room was not anything like the photo on the booking. I had also asked for one king bed but we had two queens and it was very dated and not what I would call ‘superior’. Was quite disappointed but I hope that the renovations make a difference. The room smelled musty and the beds were not very comfortable. We had sound issues from a family staying in the rooms around us with the kids running back and forth between the rooms. I asked them to keep the noise down but parents were being quite slack. Finally got sick of it about 11:30pm and rang the front desk who sent someone - though it was about half an hour later. I stay here every year with work and had a much nicer room the week before which is why I booked this hotel for a weekend away. One last thing - the plunger coffee in the room is awful. :(

Staff are awesome

My only criticism was that I booked a superior room with...
    • Superior Room

My only criticism was that I booked a superior room with booking.com that had two queen beds, when we got there the room only had one queen bed and we had to get a trundler bed for my child.

Ok. Was nice to get away with my family. Great location, friendly staff.
    • Superior Room

Fire alarm went off while we were there, however nothing we could do to prevent that. Breakfast was too expensive. Room needed an upgrade. A lot of moisture dripping down the windows, had a damp feel.

Location was great! Just down the road from the hotpools

Enjoyed our stay and slept well.
    • Superior Room

I firgot to ask fior a place i didn't have to climb stairs, also it was a long way to walk. But thaat was my own fault i did not say and they could not read my mind.

We have been coming to this Hotel for years, brought Grandchildren here many times, the standard of the Hotel is really great and we enjoyed the stay as we did all those years ago. The staff are friendly and so pleased to see the Gentleman still working in the restaurant when we had our breakfast, he has been here for a long time, good to see him and be greeted as old friends. Wonderful place to stay, cleanliness and professionalism is always there. Thankyou for our stay, we were on our way to a funeral for my elderly cousin and chose to commute to Hamilton from here and return to Rotorua to stay. Thanks again

Fair place to stay
    • Family Room (2 Adults + 2 Children)

TV was really small, the outdoor odours of sulphur were strongly in the room. Feel like a different location of hotels it wouldn’t have been that bad. Beds were hard. Slept on pillows to help.

I like that there was three beds to accommodate our family. Buffet was good. Pool was nice and warm.

average
    • Superior Room

bathroom ceiling needs to be painted, bathroom wasnt that clean, not up to the standard of other Sudima Hotels ive stayed in

friendly staff, great location

Family friendly
    • Superior Room

Mattress were soft and wore, the room's lighting were quite dark and generally it gave us a dark impressio. Parking for rooms begining with 600 were not enough.

Great location and value for money. Given it's school holiday and hard to find reasonable price accomodation, Sudima is a great choice. Walkable distance to the Polynesian Spa and the large rooms were great for family and friends.

Sudima Rotorua Family Friendly
    • Superior Room

I love that it's very comfortable, homely feeling and warm. The interior colours are vibrant and uplifting, staff are very pleasant, stayed at sudima at least four times and will continue to stay their in future

Good Location , clean room , one double bed and two single...
    • Superior Room

The smell of sulfur in hot springs wake me up in the mid night, but after my wife open he ventilator of the toilet,It ‘s more better . Remember the ventilator is connected with the toilet light

Good Location , clean room , one double bed and two single bed suitable for family traveling . And a swimming pool very close to the room, kits like it. And nice view.

Over all a good stay.
    • Superior Room

Not enough pillows in the room. The phone didn't work so had to go to reception to order room service. Asked for no salad to be on sons plate (he has certain food issues) this wasn't passed on.

Good selection for breakfast buffet.

Great weekend away
    • Superior Room

Climbing the stairs for 2 days Both mum and I have bad knees so climbing the stairs were really hard for us next time I might see if they could put us in a down stairs room

The staff were so helpful and friendly The food in the restaurant was lovely The spa pool was great

Great location. Clean basic.
    • Family Room (2 Adults + 2 Children)

Did not like after having a great spa had to walk to reception to return key,after half hour up. Would have liked to use pool after but having had to dress to return key all to hard basket

Great location. Parked car and could walk to most location s.

Value for money
    • Superior Room

The bathroom was looking old with tiles eith stains and marks. The mattresses were soft and wore, the heater has a water dripping sound throughout the night.

The location was great, walking distance to Polynesian Spa! The value for money was also good! Always available even during school holiday! Buffet breakfast was great! Friendly staff!

GREAT!
    • Superior Room

Just a little run down BUT super do-able and nice. Good value for money!

The service was great, friendly staff! The hotel itself is a little run down, BUT still very good value. What I enjoyed is that this place did have tour buses but it was never over crowded (unlike the hotel next door) Sudima hotel also has many entrances to your room so you do not need to go through main reception every time. I think there was a pool, and they also provided pool towels which is great. Would stay back again. We had 1 bedroom but with 2 double beds, so cheap for what it should be worth! Great location on the lake.

Simply the BEST
    • Family Room (2 Adults + 2 Children)

There was nothing I didn't like. From the booking to arrival at hotel and such pleasant, happy, courteous, smiling staff our stay was the best.

Everything. Although we didn't utilise the restaurant or the bar, we hope to next time.

Great location close to the shops and pools.
    • Superior Room

Room service took longer than expected and then was missing a couple of things and the phone in the room didn't work meaning we had to use our cellphone to organize room service.

The seperate room for the kids was s bonus staff were all really pleasant and helpful.

I would always consider staying at the Sudima Rotorua next time I visit Rotorua.
    • Superior Room

A little hard to find my way to reception from where I was staying.

Good value for money. And very comfortable and warm. Great location for town centre.

Lovely location, friendly reception staff
    • Superior Room

Bed very uncomfortable. Thin walls. Unfortunate to the hotel but some extremely rude and obnoxious neighbours late at night doing laundry that weren’t handled well by staff due to their attitudes.

Lovely location, friendly reception staff

Good value for money, central location but for me is only good for short stays.
    • Superior Room

The carpet looks very filthy, The fridge is not working- with kids needing fresh milk 2 x a day, it didn't feel safe for drinking that we needed to throw away. There is no microwave available. A bit turn off that dirty dinner plates and trays were left on the floor hallway as we enter the 2nd floor.

Staff are very warm and accommodating. Room servicing is very good.

6.0
    One of the room has a foul sulphur smell.
    • Superior Room

One of the room has a foul sulphur smell. It was extremely noisy with the arrival of two buseswith asian tourists. Kept us awake. The pool water in the hotel spa was not hot at all. Quite unpleasant

The food from the restaurant was great.
    • Superior Room

The place needs some serious work done to it as it’s getting dated. I could see one block was currently under renovations so that’s a good sign. When I had booked I had requested a king sized bed and when arriving to the room it had two doubles. This wouldn’t have been an issue had the check in staff notified me that it wasn’t quite what I wanted.

The food from the restaurant was great. As a solo traveller this meant I didn’t have to travel far. Would highly recommend the grilled salmon for dinner.

You can not fault the service!
    • Superior Room

It needs a proper refit, not just a coat of paint

You can not fault the service! Best service I've received from a NZ hotel, and it's not just once, it's every time we stay there. The decor is a bit tired in places, but the staff make the trip.

WE came to see an International Sporting fixture which was walking distance from the Hotel
    • Superior Room

Nothing - we have nothing negative t report

Spacious room - very relaxing with comfortable mattress. Hotel walking distanc to all facilities including Hot Pools Staff very friendly and very helpful. Food was excellent. We really enjoyed our stay and will be back

The location was great and the room was comfortable.
    • Superior Room

The location was great and the room was comfortable. The table and chairs in the room were handy as we were travelling with 2 kids so they had somewhere to play board and card games.

Comfortable beds, clean rooms, friendly staff, good...
    • Superior Room

The pool was rather cool for a winters day and night it was not even like warm.

Comfortable beds, clean rooms, friendly staff, good selection for breakfast.

Loved Rotorua. The hotel staff were all awesome. Very comfortable and great location.
    • Superior Room

Small things could do with an upgrade like the clock in the spa wasn't working, the electric jug took a bit of fiddling with to work, we had to have the TV remote control replaced as it didn't work.

Excellent location, beautiful lake view from our balcony, awesome, helpful staff.

Quick check in and bath toiletries all had an easy single...
    • Superior Room

Really poor dinner in restaurant.

Quick check in and bath toiletries all had an easy single letter to identify the product eg S for shampoo - useful if you're not wearing your glasses in the shower!

Lovely stay at the sudima
    • Superior Room

Hotel being done up as a bit tired in areas. Although our room was totally fine. Spa rooms could do with a revamp.

Lovely room, very clean and comfortable. Apart from a little bit of traffic noise it was very quiet. Pool was fab as well as the private spas.

Warm and comfortable on a winters night. Good value for money including breakfast.
    • Superior Room

The view of the carpark and noise from the road. Internet kept dropping out.

The breakfast was good. The room was warm and the beds were comfortable. Staff were friendly.

Opportunity to improve
    • Superior Room

My access key some how didn't work and I have to call reception 2 times to send some body for opening my room door , we are family of four who waited almost 17 min .

Every thing

Wonderful lakefront hotel with comfortable rooms
    • Superior Room

Comfortable double room and great views over lake. Staff did all to make our stay comfortable and were friendly and helpful. Will definitely stay here again. Walk across carpark to Polynesian spa before bed!

Perfect for a holiday stay. We would absolutely stay there again.
    • Superior Room

It was the perfect place to start our New Zealand holiday. Food was beautiful, as was all the etras that came with it, such as location and information.

Perfect for our requirements
    • Superior Room

On arrival after booking online and giving all details in my booking having to repeat all information and provide confirmation again of CCard, ID at check-in? I book online to expedite this process?

Great service in the restaurant - arrived late at 9pm dinner still available until 10pm was excellent after travelling for 4 hours. Room was clean and tidy, great location close to the supermarket in the morning when I needed extra personal items for the stay. Would book again.

From someone that stays at a lot of Hotels and Motels it was an enjoyable experience.
    • Superior Room

The rooms are a bit dated but they are doing a refurbish on the place so that is only a temporary issue. Im looking forward to when its finished.

The staff were very helpful and friendly

Great, will definitely stay there again valve for money GREAT

nothing everything was perfect

The staff were extremely helpful and friendly, the Indian man that greeted us in the car park was so helpful, he took our bags and showed us to our room, got us towels for the pool and nothing was a problem

Staff were very welcoming and breakfast good
    • Superior Room

We were disappointed that though advertised on the website they did a traditional Maori show and hungi evening and no advise on the website that over the dates we booked was not happening. Until we arrived and was told that due to refurbishments this would not take place. We booked the hotel especially for this so not to pleased.

Staff were very welcoming and breakfast good

Always stay here every year.

pillows

Always stay here every year. Location is grea,t staff are great. My only complaint is the pillows very large and hard, so sleep was a bit of a problem but only a trivial thing

Warm, friendly staff and great location make up for dated room.
    • Family Room (2 Adults + 2 Children)

The hotel is looking a bit tired

Exceptionally friendly staff, warm, clean rooms with great water pressure is the shower. A generous tasty breakfast was included in our room rate and the bus over the lake on a crisp sunny morning was beautiful. The wait staff were lovely.

A disappointing stay from the angle of looks very run down, no lift but comfy bed and great shower
    • Superior Room

Run down and in need of a face lift but did see that some rooms in the block opposite us were being given a face lift. No lift in the block so you have to carry your bags up stairs which is dangerous especially for a partially sighted person. Not very clear directions by receptionist how to get to our "block" as this hotel is divided into seperate blocks with no internal connection.

Beds very comfy and the shower is brilliant. Do not like the shower being over a bath as this is very close to the toilet making it extremely difficult to get and out of.

I absolutey loved our stay
    • Superior Room

Not enuf carparks at th front of th building

Th rooms wer really warm. Th showers wer hard and beautiful. Th beds wer so comfy and breakfast was delicious

Very good hotel in Rotorua.
    • Superior Room

I had booked lake view rooms. But on arrival I got to know that they had none available. Also no King size bed and we had to do with double bed also no lifts in the part we stayed.

Location best. . Room size very good . All amenities in the room. The staff is excellent. Nice and cozy rooms very clean and just what we expected

Overall a relaxing place to stay
    • Superior Room

Breakfast wasn’t good value for money and I’m sure the eggs were powdered. When I checked in I advised check in I had disability parking and they changed my room to a ground level room which didn’t have disability bathroom and being shaky on my legs proved interesting getting in and out of the shower where the hand rail was positioned for people getting into the bath. Couldn’t open the ranch slider to sit outside and read. God knows what the escape route is in case of a fire.

Overall an excellent place to stay. Friendly staff and close to Central Rotorua.

Great rate on last minute deal, added bonus of breakfast...
    • Superior Room

Gunky spa needed a scrub, lighting in the spa was terrible. Carpet needs upgrading in rooms. Some staff in restaurant need to be able to speak English.

Great rate on last minute deal, added bonus of breakfast included.

Great value for money, and extraordinary customer service
    • Superior Room

keep an eye on the buffet breakfast and ensure the cooked food is refreshed as necessary. We got down at 9am and the eggs were looking a little dry and unappetising. The kitchen organised freshly poached eggs for us which was much appreciated.

Incredible and consistent service from every staff member, regardless of whether it was the porter, the front desk, housekeeping or the bar. Although the property itself is a little old and tired, the high level of cleanliness, the warm and comfortable rooms, and the amazing customer service mean that we will make a return visit.

Clean tidy with friendly staff
    • Superior Room

The decor. Very bland colours and rather depressing feeling to the place. You didn't feel like hanging out in the bar....

Clean tidy with friendly staff

• Superior Room

At wee hours of the morning, the noise created by other guests are heard at our unit/room. It was annoying.

All I can say is, E X C E L L E N T... The children and adults alike were all happy with your service. We'll encourage our friends to come and experience the comfort and awesome service of Sudima Hotel... Keep it up guys :)

disappointed
    • Family Room (2 Adults + 2 Children)

room facilities are really poor. i just felt like i was in a 1980's hotel or motel. it wasn't worth paying those monet to stay.

only one thing is that staffs are kind.

Great, good location, warm and clean. Nice staff.
    • Superior Room

Maybe slightly on the smaller side of a room. Just by myself was great, but if 2 of us, maybe a little small. Food, my wedges had a large piece of plastic in it. I left a note on the plate advising this.

Room was tidy, warm and facilities worked. Hot shower, all good.

Bed was fine rooms were old, TV didnt go but all of this is...
    • Standard Room with Two Double Beds

TV didn't work but no big deal.

Bed was fine rooms were old, TV didnt go but all of this is expected in a corrosive environment. staff were friendly and there is a bar on site

Very smily friendly staff
    • Standard Room with Two Double Beds

The main swimming pool was heated as it was broken but never got fixed in the time we were there so very disappointed as it was cold

Very smily friendly staff

Cheap and cheerful and you get what you pay for.
    • Superior Room

Room and decor very worn and tired and damaged in a few places. Desperately in need of a makeover. Carpet had debris on it. Not very well vacuumed/cleaned. The TV sucked, very bad digital reception and the picture kept breaking up and skipping. Broken and leaking soffit of the roof outside the room. The pool is very small and feels enclosed. No lifts in the wing we were in, only stairs.

It's cheap and close to the Polynesian Spa Pools. Bed was comfy and the room was large. Air conditioning is good. Nice lobby area and bar. The staff were efficient.

Rotorua is so surprising. Full of adventure. Great place to base yourself
    • Superior Room

Great staff very helpful. Great dinner and breaky. Convenient. Great outlook would definitely recommend. It’s older than we thought but well maintained.

Overall we would definitely recommend to anyone
    • Superior Room

It would be nice if there’s a microwave to heat up food and have like a separate tap for drinking and for the jug.

Lovely service. Definitely will come back.

On the whole Excellent! Excellent! Excellent! keep up the good work!
    • Superior Room

The only bug bear was with the technical issues of the toilet shower leaking water all over the bathroom floor. This is something I am faced with in most hotels in NZ. They just do not seem to know how to seal the edges of the shower booth. I like to step out into a dry warm toilet room after getting out of the shower.

The service received from all staff we met was exceptional. It is this reason we always visit and stay at Sudima. Not only is the service and the food absolutely fantastic, but they go out of their way to meet your every need.

Very disappointing.
    • Superior Room

The lift needed a good clean. Paint flaking off the floor in the shower, showing the concrete Rang after I booked to make sure It was a short, flat walk to room (as an elderly person with a walking stick) was told all was ok because there was an elevator, when we checked in we found there was a flight of stairs to get to the elevator or a long walk around and up a ramp to the elevator.

Highly cost effective!
    • Standard Room with Two Double Beds

Just the pillow - too soft for me.

Located lakeside, can take nice and peaceful walk to Polynesia Spa and the Government Garden in the early morning and evening. Swimming pool and private Spa are our favourites. Looking out through the window the scenery of Rotorua Lake was enjoyable.

No view of lake
    • Superior Room

Bathroom worn out and in need of refurbish, light entering room in morning from rear timber louvre. Noise from trucks , trolleys and people outside

Room size

Great location, very clean, good value for money
    • Superior Room

I personally like tourist information / magazine in the room to look at, i know they have a Rotorua channel on the tv i just prefer a hard copy.

Room large,beds comfortable and great location to town, lake and hot pools.

Pretty average. If price stays this high, not coming back.
    • Superior Room

Bedroom bathroom has no toothpaste n toothbrushes! The overall look of hotel is lethargic n worn out. Computer (check in) was slow. Lifts (elevators) were old n slow moving. Expensive room rate.

Frontline staff n bell boy were friendly n helpful

Next!
    • Superior Room

First room allocated was just dirty. The cleaning wasn't up to standard for a Sudima Hotel. Dirty linen, hair on the bathroom floors and towels, vacuuming should've been done. Just poor. Second room was slightly better but still dirty linen, hair in the bathroom and on the towels, just a really bad experience.

The receptionist and morning duty manager were great the evening manager for the stay should never have placed us in either one of the rooms allocated. Why? (Read other comments what we didn't like to sum it up). Was given a complimentary voucher to stay next time in Rotorua, half price paid for the room. Just an overall unpleasant experience to be honest.

It was good
    • Superior Room

The bathroom floor was peeling off, which made it look unclean.

The staff was very friendly and location was very good. The pool was closed when we were their and they gave us chance to go to polynasian spa. Breakfast buffet was good too.

Good location great food and big rooms
    • Superior Room

Pool and spa were pretty grim. Could do with a good clean in the spa pools.

The buffet dinner was a really good deal and really yummy! Rooms were massive.

People were friendly.
    • Superior Room

There wasn’t a microwave or dishes to have something to eat. There was only one flat pillow per person. I was trying to crunch up my pillow all night so I didn’t get a sore neck.

People were friendly. We even had our bags taken to our room. The room was not cluttered and had air conditioning in room and extractor fan in bathroom nice big bed. Staff were good very professional with key personnel wearing suits at the front desk. My partner had done his 1/2 marathon and we were leaving. We were hungry and went to the dining area only to be told that it was closed by 2 staff members and that we would have to wait 1hr and a 1/2 for lunch. As my partner and I debated where we were going to eat as we had a 3hr drive home and we had not eaten yet. Another staff member came over and saved the day she explained to us that the restaurant was closed while they were cleaning and that we could eat in the bar section she brought us our menus and they even had cluten free bread for me that made my day. The lunch was awesome. We even got tickets to the Polynesian spa as we couldn’t use there pool due to the flooding. This helped with my partners aces and pains after his run. So thank you very much for an awesome stay and to the lady who helped with our lunch.

It was like a nightmare
    • Standard Room with Two Double Beds

There were spiderwebs near the curtain rails and carpet area around the sliding door near the balcony. My wife and I were bitten by bedbugs. It was really a horrible experience, will not even stay there again even if it is free. The cleaner should clean the room more thoroughly or never rent out this room again.

Very comfortable and staff very friendly and accommodating.
    • Superior Room

Room service meals on two nights. First night Caesar salad with chicken and second night crispy salmon. Both were heavily laden with anchovies and capers. Please not so much of both as both are very flavoursome and strong tasting. Interesting to get both on two separate dishes. Also I requested no croutons with the Caesar salad and it was heavy with croutons. I didn't request bread with my scrambled eggs and the eggs were sitting on toast.

Well mannered staff. Room service prompt on all occasions. Room was warm and clean.

Spa pool
    • Standard Room with Two Double Beds

There should be a microwave in the room. Its been six day now and the visa hold by the hotel hasn't been removed although the actual payment is already processed.

Spa pool

Good basic hotel accommodation
    • Superior Room

Night door to our wing was not accessible with our cards after 11pm, it was broken, had to walk and access via another wing. The fan in our bathroom hummed all night.

The receptionist was able to jig things a little to allow us to stay an unexpected extra night in the same room.

Good location, Great buffet breakfast.
    • Special Offer - Standard Room with Two Double Beds

Not being able to use the spa was annoying as it was booked throughout our stay. Also the swimming pool is far too small for a hotel of that size. Room was not fully made up on our arrival, there were no pillowcases on the pillows and we were given the wrong room key. The staff were very apologetic, friendly and helpful and they did give us a complimentary drink each for the hassle. Great buffet breakfast.

Good location, Great buffet breakfast.

A really good stay, super staff and wonderful food. Let down only by poor facility maintenance
    • Standard Room with Two Double Beds

The general state of the building our room was in, was in fairly sad repair..it did not create a good first impression. While the room was just fine, the approach and hall outside was shabby and a bit smelly. I felt we should have been informed the pool heater was broken rather than be left to discover this the hard way.

The buffet dinner was good value and very delicious. The rooms were well appointed and comfortable. The location was very handy. Staff were super friendly and helpful.

Good location - walking distance to town, and right next...
    • Superior Room

Given the reasonably cheap price of this hotel we didn’t expect too much but it’s definitely showing it’s age.

Good location - walking distance to town, and right next door to the Polynesian Spas. Very helpful staff and good food for room service. Comfortable bed.

Would be back maybe
    • Superior Room

The room which we got was at old. The price we paid didn’t have the value.

The location was wonderful to go activities around town. Polynesian spa and Pack n save are just next of the hotel.

Staff friendly but rooms could do with updating
    • Standard Room with Two Double Beds

Couldn’t open window due to sulphur smell from lake, hotel is tired rooms could do with updating. Price shown as a luxury deal, we saw no sign of this.

Close proximity to town and market