Reviews of Novotel Tainui Hamilton 4.5 stars

7 Alma Street, Hamilton CBD, 2001 Hamilton, New Zealand

#17 of 54 hotels in Hamilton

• Reviewed: 23 September 2018

The bathroom was amazing!
    • Executive King Suite

The steam veges side in the restaurant. They were so soggy and steamed to mush we couldn’t eat them

The bathroom was amazing!! Loved having a pillow menu to choose what I like. Everyone was fast and efficient to serve our needs

Luxury at an affordable price.
    • Superior Room

The spa pool was not working, would have been nice to use it after the gym. I recall that the last time we stayed at the Novotel, the spa was not operating fully (it was luke warm instead of hot).

Helpful staff and great to see Maori staff, nice parakuihi, comfortable bed and loved the chaise couch in the room!

I will be back
    • Superior Room

Nothing, all was fabulous. Comfortable room, helpful and friendly staff, great restaurant, fabulous facilities

Everything was wonderful, from the room to the staff, I thoroughly enjoyed my stay.

Spacious, clean and modern room.
    • Superior Room

There was a bit of street noise on one of our nights stay (people in the square yelling)

Spacious, clean and modern room. Nice bathroom. Comfy bed. Yummy breakfast. Friendly staff. Close to nice restaurants and Casino.

Awesome check in and check out experience - handy location
    • Superior Room

Our requests from booking.com didn’t go through - asked for two double beds and was book in as a king. Because of the change, we didn’t have a bath in our room - which we wanted for our son to relax in after a week of rugby and league. That was it though - everything else was awesome

Nice shower and beds and pillows were comfy. Great location - right in town and the staff were very helpful and friendly. Tidy rooms and the shower was awesome!!

• Reviewed: 9 September 2018

- Comfy bed
    • Superior Room

- Comfy bed - Good location (walking distance to many good shopping mall/pubs/restaurants nearby- went to Koreana restaurant) - Good breakfast (many varieties) -

Overal venue is awesome and front staff is great.
    • Superior Family Room (2 Guests)

When i booked on line...we asked fir a room with ONE super king bed only.... got given room with two beds and when phn reception after got into our room got brushed off in been told that was all that was available...funny it was when i booked. Then checkout time was 11 am... room cleaner kept knocking at door at 8.45 and wasnt impress when we told her we are still showering..... saw one of the staff setting tables while we eat and the plate that she put on table must have had something in it so she first blew on the plate and when it did not come off she proceeds to scrape it of with her fingernail and then wipe plate with hand. Eeewww thank heavens by then we where finish eating but i then keep thinking what don't we see? And sorry but food was average.

The bedwas very comfy

The breakfast was presented well and clean and fresh.
    • Superior Room

The reception had a woman with missing front teeth she was polite but image was not classy. The room service food poor and when i commented i was sent a guy that looked like management and it was a little weird. Food was still not high in presentation and taste.. example i ordered a choc shake and got iced choc but the ice was still whole not blended..so just a waste of my time and money.

The breakfast was presented well and clean and fresh. Room was cleaned by friendly happy people General nice atmosphere. Bed very comfortable Hotel seems tired

Excellent location and comfortable clean rooms.
    • Superior Room

Shower cubicle - awkward - kept pumping the shower knob. The gym needs work please. Remove 1980s spa and reace with treadmills facing daylight. Rower and crosstrainer room dull and uninspiring. Art work and better lighting might help.

Room decor refreshing clean well balanced. Open spacious and comfortable. Clean sharp well maintained.

• Reviewed: 1 September 2018

Good sleep but that's about all we enjoyed
    • Executive King Room

When we booked we specifically chose a room with a bath but when we arrived we were checked into a room with no bath. I called down to reception and was then told it was us who had made the mistake. Which was incorrect. When we did get moved the room was dirty and the plug in the bath didn't work. For future guests make sure they are told that before you check out the room needs to be checked as we had to wait about 20minutes and nearly missed an important appointment (the whole purpose of the stay)

The bed was comfy

I was very disappointed with the room being dirty. Stayed 2 nights & room was not serviced.
    • Superior Room

I did not like that the room was not clean.

Room was not clean . Rubbish on floor as in food wrappers & half filled water bottle. No bin liners in bins,

Overall we have stayed at Novatel before and would not hesitate to stay there again.
    • Superior Room

What I really didn't like was the trays of food out in the hall from room service that had stayed there all night and were still there at 9.0am in the morning, the hotel is kept immaculate and clean but this was a let down.

Room was excellent with everything you needed and very clean, everything in the buffet at breakfast was fresh and very enjoyable. Staff were great and very efficient at there jobs and made us welcome .

Excellent accomodation, good service
    • Superior Room

Perhaps it would have been better if more towels were provided as there was one per person and we shower twice a day

The room was immaculate and the service was second to none

Great get away to relax for a short stay
    • Standard Double Room with Two Double Beds

Extra cost for parking, felt that for the cost of staying their parking should have been complimentary, it was an expensive hotel and seemed a bit on the nose to have to pay for parking on top of this.

Comfy bed and the buffet breakfast was excellent, it was also lovely and quiet.

The rooms were great. Ambience in the bar area was non existent and the restaurant. Meal - terrible.
    • Standard Double Room with Two Double Beds

Our meal on Monday night in the restaurant was really bad. The lamb rubbed with piri piri was terribly fatty, I had to spit it out. I'm not sure it was lamb. Also - no music in the bar or restaurant.

LOVED the pillows!

The staff were good and the food was great too and not too...
    • Standard Double Room with Two Double Beds

The keys had to be reactivated everytime we left the room.. never had this problem elsewhere..

The staff were good and the food was great too and not too pricey..

• Reviewed: 28 July 2018

Great hotel

Nothing. It was awesome.

The staff are all nice. I didnt get one grumpy one the room was awesome. The beds were so comfortable. I cant rave enough it was great

Comfortable room
    • Superior Room

Not all the staffs are kind. Some of them should smile more, and greet the guests with patience.

The room is spacious, bright and clean. The location is near to many restaurants, and within walking distance.

A generally good hotel in a convenient central city location
    • Superior Room

A bit noisy - the down side of being so close to the Casino and down town Hamilton! You could hear loud cars and people yelling from the street. Some of the homeless people/beggars were also a little intimidating, especially as a woman on my own first thing in the morning and in the late afternoon.

Rooms were of a good size and clean and tidy. Staff were pleasant and helpful.

Great place to stay, as always top service good reasonable prices will b back again....

Needs a heated swimming pool, tho there is a spa pool ..

Nice modern hotel Luxury rooms with comfortable beds, helpful friendly staff, was very impressed with the healthy buffet breakfast selection and the all day menu. Great Location walking distances to bars, restaurants, Skycity casino, & local shops, & its Great value for your money< every time! .. Highly Recommend

Good hotel centrally located.
    • Standard Double Room with Two Double Beds

Could have a printer available for guests, service desk printed my documents for me though.

Good hotel overall, clean and very central to all the bars and restaurants.

We survived!
    • Superior Room

Room too small for four people. I do not appreciate being in such conditions.

Pillows too soft. Availability of meals was good. Rooms too small for 2 large beds. Single beds woud be appreciated for children.

The hotel with an authentic Finnish sauna
    • Superior Room

The breakfast could use more healthy options.

The sauna was an authentic Finnish sauna and the Jacuzzi was extremely cosy. The location is central, with lots of nice restaurants nearby. Staff was friendly and welcoming. We were happy with our double bed which turned out to be delightfully comfortable.

Great location, friendly helpful staff.
    • Standard Double Room with Two Double Beds

The fact that we couldn't turn off air conditioning in our room. Manager came up twice (he was great) but not everyone wants it on and no one seemed to know how to turn it off.

The bed was comfortable and the staff were wonderful

Despite calling ahead of time to check, we were one bed short. Not a good start to our weekend!

We were one bed short, despite calling a few days earlier to make sure we had two beds in the room. The parking situation was atrocious - just add the extra $20 per car cost to the room. The toilets, in both of our rooms were smelly. The final straw was when my sister's car was returned to her, the staff member had wrecked her reversing camera mirror by ripping it off the windscreen! This caused major inconvenience as it took two days to repair and she was without a vehicle.

Eight members of my family travelled to Hamilton for my daughter's birthday & we stayed at the Novotel Tainui. The superior family room was an impressive size and the hotel has great location in central Hamilton.

We always come back when in Hamilton
    • Superior Room

Only thing we didn't like was the drunk couple outside the hotel at 5 am swearing their heads off at each other for half an hour

We always love staying at the Novatel. Always friendly helpful staff and very comfortable. Great location as well

Friendly staff and fast check in and out process.
    • Superior Room

Noise at night outside room caused by other inconsiderate guests. It was embarrassing asking for toilet rolls and the tv remote was flat. Also thete weren't menus in the room for ordering room service and when we asked for one was told they were low on them.

Friendly staff and fast check in and out process.

Will return
    • Standard Double Room with Two Double Beds

Very good variety of items for breakfast and the eggs were freshly prepared. Comfy room well serviced during my two day stay. Valet parking service highly recommended.

Overall being first time guest at the Novotel Tainui we enjoyed our stay
    • Superior Room

There was nothing i did not like at the Novotel Tainui

When i stay at places i like that the facilities meet my standards in cleanliness which they did. I also liked that the bed was nice and cosy as well. We also found that we did not hear any traffic noise or from other guests once we were in our room

We had a lovely short stay and would stay again.
    • Standard Double Room with Two Double Beds

A little noisy outside, with people yelling. Beds quite soft and pillows too soft, would prefer firm and a soft one for choice. Only Two towels 2 adults 2 children. Bath room dusty around the edges and hair on the floor around toilet. A little confusion with parking. lack of computer communication from restaurant to front counter staff.

great location nice staff friendly / helpful tidy

Very easy and a central hotel.
    • Superior Room

Parking is very limited around the property- the hotel provides parking overnight that is $20.00. This service worked very well and when I required the car it was brought upstairs immediately. Very happy with this service.

Overall we enjoyed our stay, it would've been nice to stay longer. Room service attendant - Paris 5/
    • Standard Double Room with Two Double Beds

Maybe a pricing list for the minibar...

Our buffet breakfast was really good with a nice variety for both adults and children. Our beds were super comfy and the staff were great.

Great stay!
    • Superior Room

Parking is by valet only and is an extra $20 a day.

Nice modern building with proper working gym. Good location as well - 5 minute walk to many great brunch cafes.

Amazing dinner
    • Executive King Room

Trying to get a copy of my invoice that I was not given but was promised it would be e mailed which didn't happen, called x 3 separate times to finally get the e mail. The address was incorrect despite receiving a calendar invite to my correct address and filling it out when I checked in I have stayed many times over the years.

Amazing dinner

Almost perfect! Just the length of the queue at check-in was a bit painful.
    • Standard Double Room with Two Double Beds

Really lovely and helpful staff on the front desk. However, when I checked in, a very large company group was also checking in. I suggest that when a large group is checking in that they have a dedicated desk, or that one "team leader" checks in on the company's behalf. I had to wait quite some time to check in as the queue was very long - almost out the door - and the check in process takes time.

The room was excellent - very comfortable indeed, and with a view on to the river. I stayed in the autumn, and the view of the colour of the trees by the river was awesome.

Nice gift left in the room when we checked in (my...
    • Superior Room

The gift was addressed to me instead of my grand daughter even though I specifically gave her name 😂

Nice gift left in the room when we checked in (my granddaughters birthday) and lovely room

It was only one night I arrived in the evening the. Went for dinner with friends so did not experie
    • Superior Room

I was told at Checking I would not be charged for valet parking. It want until I got home and looking at the receipt I noticed I was, I should have looked when I left!

Staff extremely helpful and friendly.

Disappointing stay.
    • Superior Room (3 Adults)

No onsite free parking for guests. Valet parking - damaged car key holder. No baggage assistance to room after check-in, and no advice on where to go to lifts or what floor we were on.

The bed

Most of the buffet food was only like warm, certainly not...
    • Standard Double Room with Two Double Beds

Most of the buffet food was only like warm, certainly not worth $$32. When checking out the ReceptionistHad tried charging us for x 3 breakfasts even tho there were only two of us and breakfast was included in our booking. Then had to prove by showing my confirmation email that breakfast was included. Lucky I had my phone on me. All a bit of a hassle.

Very nice space with attentive staff.
    • Standard Double Room with Two Double Beds

No choice but to pay for valet parking. Had to leave car in a loading zone while checking in. More car parking options would be good.

Very nice space with attentive staff. Enjoyed the restaurant.

Lovely setting .
    • Standard Double Room with Two Double Beds

Thought it was expensive when Wifi was not free and Parking was not free. Lunch was not very Vegetarian friendly. (Seminar /Lunch).

Lovely setting .

PRETTY AVERAGE STUFF
    • Superior Room

Contractors working on same floor cussing and swearing. Desk staff gave us wrong room type and changed undet suffrance Plate of onion rings arrived nuked and went back. No apology

Location good.

I Loved the location, easy access to the town center and...
    • Superior Room

I Loved the location, easy access to the town center and walking distance to wonderful restaurants and bars. The staff were all so helpful and so were the cleaning staff as well, they were all so pleasant.

Everything was on point as per usual.
    • Superior Room

The bed and pillows were comfy and I had a great sleep, which I usually struggle with if I’m not in my own bed at home. I also loved the fact our car was ready without us having to ring for them to collect as we saw it at the front when we had breakfast in the restaurant. Breakfast was delicious as well. Hospitality and customer service was so awesome, the team should be proud of the level of service they provide. We have stayed a number of times at Novotel and love going there every time.

Disappointed and tierd
    • Superior Room

I checked in at 3am as my husband was admitted to hospital. I asked for a late check out which was granted but no one told me the hotel was being renovated and that work started at 730!,,,

Mixed
    • Superior Room

We were but on 3rd floor and without warning we’re confronted by workers updating rooms when exiting the lift, we had to trudge past them as they were sat on the floor having a break, dust and noise everywhere, got to the room and it was dusty due to work in corridor, my wife wanted a rest but banging made it impossible, following my complaint at reception we were moved to a quieter room on 1st floor, neither room had a bath as described on booking.com for exec room !! I questioned this the following day but they weren’t interested saying the room was as described but the bathrooms were being upgraded, I’m on holiday and couldn’t be bothered taking it further

Nice comfy bed and lounge/bar area, also great location for amenities

Not good
    • Superior Room

Really slow staff especially at the bar and restaurant. Staff at breakfast had low morale and even swore whilst clearing the table next to us. Another poked fun at a customer who requested for some assistance . Poor overall.

Nice stay
    • Standard Double Room with Two Double Beds

Construction works within the hotel from 7.30am on a Sunday AM!

Nice and comfortable, rooms seem new or refurbished, nice staff, good location in Hamilton, good food at the restaurant. Expensive parking and breakfast

Home away from home
    • Superior Room

Requested a huge bed and got it! So comfy and had an awesome rest! The staff were friendly and welcoming from the moment we arrived and the moment we left! Will definitely return!

Convenient and comfortable
    • Superior Room

At the time there were a lot of fly’s in the dinning room.

I liked the quite aircon and I liked that I had room at the top so felt very roomy with the raised ceiling as both me and my husband are tall people it gave a sense of space.

Very comfortable pleasant stay.
    • Executive King Room

Overall nice hotel & except for luxury prices we would certainly choose to stay there again. Just little things not so good. The only problem was we had booked on line & when we got to hotel at 11 pm the hotel had no record of our booking & the ground floor room we had prebooked was not available and the price didn’t include the breakfast as advertised. The young woman receptionist was pleasant & helpful & unruffled by this and found us another room & a $1 breakfast which we didn’t actually have because breakfast menu had finished when we came down 11am. We were only passing through & stayed one night & other than being expensive the staff were pleasant. The stairs difficult to find way out of. Door locked into lobby for some reason ended up outside around back of building. Confusing.Probably just a fire escape but didn’t say that. We ticked box for a newspaper to be delivered in the morning but it didn’t arrive.

Restaurant closed because we arrived at 11 pm The room service young man very helpful .

Breakfast wasn’t up to it’s usual standard.
    • Superior Room

Breakfast wasn’t up to it’s usual standard. We had wet carpet in our room. Used to have bottled water by the bed but none this time. Just lacked those little personal touches we have been used too from the Novatel

Great stay, would recommend to friends and family passing through.
    • Standard Double Room with Two Double Beds

The shower door didn’t close properly so water ran across the bathroom floor to the sink. With a small child we were aware of this and had to mop up after showers to avoid slipping over.

Great service, room was suitable for our family and very tidy. Felt new and light. Lovely view. Valet car parking made so much easier after a long trip, great bonus to the stay. Meal at the restaurant was beautiful with friendly staff. Would definitely stay again if heading through Hamilton.

Probably wouldn’t go again
    • Superior Room

The hotel was undergoing renovation so there was a lot of dust in the hallways. Our shower wasn’t draining and my husband almost flooded the bathroom. We got moved to a different room but one that hadn’t been renovated - so it was like a downgrade

The staff were friendly

The room service meals were awesome and especially th kids...
    • Standard Double Room with Two Double Beds

The bacon at breakfast was very dry and bits were inedible. The whole cooked part of the buffet seemed neglected and not nice and fresh. How ever and room service dinner meals were very lovely

The room service meals were awesome and especially th kids meals.

Size of suite
    • Executive King Suite

Very noisy extractor fans in bathroom that could not be turned off. I felt like I was in the plane with constant humming noise. I could not relax, I had to wear earplugs to sleep. I complained but they didn’t do anything about it. The whole fourth floor was humming like a jet. It was awful

Size of suite

We loved our stay, will stay again & highly recommend
    • Superior Room

It was clean and comfortable. Shower head was large so great for big people too. The breakfast buffet was included with our stay and was the best. Staff were amazing and the hotel itself incorperated some of the local culture which was very lovely to see. The hotel was also located in the centre of town which was perfect for looking around on foot.

Service superb
    • Superior Room

The coffee barrister growled at the waitress right in front of everyone dining for breakfast because she had given the customer a small number rather than a large one He should have been sacked on the spot !! Absolutely disgraceful That ruined our really great breakfast as the poor wee waitress was nearly in 😭 tears

Service superb

Easy and luxurious.
    • Superior Room

Breakfast was under stocked one morning. Staff working very hard but I think more staff was needed for that time of day.

Delicious breakfast. Staff very accommodating. The bed was amazing.

A very comfortable, modern hotel with good facilities.
    • Superior Room

Short-term parking is available at the door but had to park off-site at additional cost; a bit inconvenient.

Comfortable and modern room. Nice restaurant. Friendly staff. Good CBD location.

Always look forward to going back, highly recommend to people we know.
    • Superior Room

Breakfast could be improved in the restaurant area however a nice space to eat and relax.

Always pleasent staff greeting you. Requests for a particular room given friendly and welcoming.

The room was very spacious and comfortable.
    • Executive King Suite

Didnt like that we had to pay extra for parking and wifi, those things should be included in the price

The room was very spacious and comfortable. Staff were friendly and helpful

Excellent - will be back.
    • Superior Family Room (3 Guests)

Not applicable.

Friendly atmosphere throughout the hotel, staff as always are helpful and obliging to needs. Breakfast is amazing as always. Experienced an enjoyable stay. Thank you.

Felt totally ripped off
    • Superior Room

The shower leaked all over the floor. The cooked breakfast was all cold. We were told the breakfast was free and this was stated in the booking but had to pay. The parking was a pain.

Beds were good

Our stay was great! Staff were warm and welcoming
    • Standard Double Room with Two Double Beds

The staff were amazing and so lovely to deal with. The location is great! You're within walking distance of some great places. The bed was amazing!! And shower was even better

Everything was great except the bacon tasted like an old...
    • Standard Double Room with Two Double Beds

Everything was great except the bacon tasted like an old stiff leather bag. Overall stay was great though!

Will come back
    • Executive King Suite

The view from our room was awesome

I felt it was cold in the dining area at tea time..we were here two nighrd and the spa was out of order was looking forward to a, soak..pillows were to soft

Good central location
    • Superior Family Room (3 Guests)

The bathrooms need an upgrade. Every time we had a shower, bubbles would come out of the drain in the floor causing flooding. There isn't much private parking for Novotel guest, they use skycitys' car park aswell but you have to pay $15 every time you exit.

Staff was great !!

Great stay! Would come back again

Bed a bit hard

Friendly staff Easy Check In and Check Out Valet parking Room was spacious and clean Lots of pillows Walking distance to where we were going Coffee and tea facilities in the room Breakfast was excellent with a variety of food

Great city lovely location and up market hotel
    • Superior Room (3 Adults)

Bathrooms were ok we see they are being renovated soon

Great location as we had booked a restaurant we wanted to try across road first then booked hotel before we left Australia. Parking staff were great very helpful

Expected more from King Suite
    • Executive King Suite

Decor and furnishings a little dated

Room was quiet...after the building renovations stopped. Breakfast buffet was very good, lots of choice, fresh and hot.

Meals were yummy & the buffet breakfast was delish -...
    • Standard Double Room with Two Double Beds

The lack of parking, wasn't explained enough at check in. Also took forever to check out with 2 big lines of people waiting

Meals were yummy & the buffet breakfast was delish - especially the croissants

Staff helpful and very friendly
    • Superior Room

Third stay here ,restaurant for breakfast was under staffed,had to wait for a seat as there were so many unclear tables and waiting for hot food to be refilled.Two days running,staff were doing there best.

Comfortable bed, clean room and fantastic position.
    • Superior Room

The bed was really comfortable and the room was very clean. The position of the hotel was really good and the room we were in was in a great position with views along the main street. The foyer of the hotel was open and stylish with comfortable seating. The staff were very welcoming and helpful.

Staff were all fantastic to deal with so helpful, always a...
    • Standard Double Room with Two Double Beds

Staff were all fantastic to deal with so helpful, always a smiling face, I was really impressed with their high professionalism and care for their customers. Thank you for our stay, I will definitely be back.