Reviews of Spencer on Byron Hotel 4.5 stars

9-17 Byron Avenue, Takapuna, 0740 Auckland, New Zealand

#52 of 170 hotels in Auckland

• Reviewed: 14 October 2018

tired decor - this hotel really needs a significant face...
    • One-Bedroom Apartment

tired decor - this hotel really needs a significant face lift. location good; got burnt by the restaurant once before so always bring my own food or eat out!

• Reviewed: 13 October 2018

Staff went the extra mile to bring our luggage up.
    • Studio

Staff went the extra mile to bring our luggage up. were friendly and efficient. Alterations were being made on the floor below.. Builders noise didn't start till after 9>30

• Reviewed: 11 October 2018

Overall great experience. Will definitely use again.
    • Studio

Lack of information in room as to what is available in the hotel

Great location. Good that it's currently under renovation as everything looking a little tired.

• Reviewed: 9 October 2018

Nice stay Good food, but no spa was not operating.
    • Studio

I had told reception the reason for staying was to swim in a hot spa and the kids to enjoy the pool and she didnt mention the spa was actually not working, only to find out after paying,that the spa was not working. And the room on the 5th floor had a very strong scent like paint. I aired out the room so that it wasnt so strong.

There was good customer service:A guy at the bar was very pleasent and a young guy waiter at the restaurant was very pleasant and nice to deal with. The kids enjoyed the big cold pool. The food was delicious.

• Reviewed: 1 October 2018

Ok with our stay
    • Studio

The couch is so hard and uncomfortable and the bed is a little hard to. It was clean but definitely starting to be a bit dated

The staff member who was there at the front desk was very nice. The location is brilliant.

• Reviewed: 30 September 2018

Over all, a very good stay
    • Studio

I arrived early (2pm) ok room wasn't ready. I went back at 3pm, room still wasn't ready.. got access to room at about 3.20pm...

bed was excellent. View was outstanding. Room seemed well insulated for sound and temperature.

• Reviewed: 27 September 2018

Once in it was good
    • One-Bedroom Apartment

The staff couldn't find my booking, but didn't really engage with me through the process so I was just left standing there for about 15 minutes. Also the double bed was just two beds pushed together so not great

The room was spacious and the location was great, along with on street parking

• Reviewed: 27 September 2018

Comfortable, Convenient, Good Value.
    • Studio

Windows could do with a clean! Hard to see the lovely view through all that grime.

Great location for the purpose of our Auckland visit. Nice to be on the North Shore away from (but still close to the CBD)

• Reviewed: 26 September 2018

Great restaurant, great cocktails, handy and Near awesome...
    • Studio

Room smelled a bit musty and beds were a little uncomfortable

Great restaurant, great cocktails, handy and Near awesome cafes etc. Clean rooms with great views.

• Reviewed: 31 August 2018

Average
    • One-Bedroom Apartment

Unhelpful staff didn't seem to care

Spa pool was cold staff didn't seem to care when notified about it, I was charged twice for my room, one payment was a hold payment then I paid again when I checked out, still waiting for initial hold payment to be paid back not happy they do that not okay with that

• Reviewed: 30 August 2018

Overall a great place to stay.
    • Studio

The check in time is quite late. The Restaurant area isn't great for children, Food was okay. Could use a few extra cups and plates etc when room is booked for more than 2 people.

The accomodation was clean and in a great location. The beds were comfortable and there was good heating, we had sea views which was lovely. Parking was easy and the room service was affordable.

I booked 2 rooms for myself, my wife and 3 kids (10-9-7).
    • Studio

I booked 2 rooms for myself, my wife and 3 kids (10-9-7). Apron arrival the rooms were separated to different areas of the floor. One would think that given the questions asked and the answers clearly stating we are a family, one would think allocated rooms would have beside each other, preferably linked (as they do)

Great room and facilities. Great location. Fit our purpose
    • Studio

Taking an actual credit card payment from visa at beginning of the stay when cash was paid. No receipt for returned credit on check out

Pool was great, room acceptable, great housekeeping

Quick overnight in Takapuna
    • Studio

Shower, not that we used it but the glass needed a good scrub,

just a quick stay arriving late and leaving early, check in was easy, bed was comfy, could have had more blankets as was a bit cold.

Noisy hotel
    • Studio

Put tag on door for complimentary newspaper. Didn’t get one. Construction noise from some of the rooms. No chance of a sleep-in as they started around 08.00 Would have been nice if they had warned us about the construction noise. When we complained their response was “oh well - not much we can do about that”

Fantastic location. Easy walk to restaurants and pubs.

Great value for the money, stunning view of the city
    • Studio

Staff where amazing, friendly and helpful. They realy represented NZ hospitality in the best way possible. The view from the room was absolutely stunning. Comfortable beds, tea and coffea available in the room. Great value for the money. Decent swimming pool, bath robes are provided in the room.

Always love my stay and always get the room I ask for thank you Spencer
    • One-Bedroom Apartment

I think I little more dishes in kitchen would be helpful bowls for salads etc

Staff always lovely stayed here many of times it's my families favourite place to stay

The view was fantastic and the location was great
    • Studio

Breakfast was included in the price but it wasn’t discussed or explained. Very basic information given at check in.

The view was fantastic and the location was great

Enjoyed a two night stay, our room had amazing views of Auckland.
    • Studio

Unfortunately the weather was bad and when we went to have a swim discovered the pool and spa were on the roof. The pool was very choppy with the wind and the spa only just warm and the whole experience with the wind really unpleasant so we were in and out of the spa and back inside within a couple of minutes.

View from room was amazing with balcony! Room was warm, bedding comfortable. Bar/lounge was great for pre-dinner drinks and we had a lunch there which was good. With so many restaurants within walking distance, we had our meals in Takapuna. Short walk to Takapuna Beach. Onsite parking available.

Great location to central Takapuna and the rooms were clean.
    • Studio

There is work being done on the building which started at approx 8am, which is too early and did not allow for an enjoyable stay during day time.

Great location to central Takapuna and the rooms were clean. Also the service was good and we could get an early checkin.

Nice and clean.
    • Studio

They took a down payment off our credit cards which they said would be credited back immediately. After not having it back 24hrs later, we called to find we wont get that money back for 5 days. There's no need to do this when they have your cc details. The restaurant onsite isn't cheap (continental breakfast buffet doesn't include juice or coffee).

Nice and clean. Good location near many shops and restaurants. Within a 10 min walking distance to the place we needed to go (Bruce Mason centre) though I'd probably attempt to stay closer to it if I come back again.

The service was exceptional, very friendly and pleasant,...
    • Studio

The only problem was minor, our room card didn't work on our day of checkout so we had to get someone up to unlock the door. Nothing major.

The service was exceptional, very friendly and pleasant, comfortable room, great view. Recommend to others.

The duty manager was extremely rude on the night I booked,...
    • One-Bedroom Apartment

The duty manager was extremely rude on the night I booked, in fact didn’t even end up staying as I lost my visa debit that day and he wouldn’t allow me to put down a $200 bond for the night, instead of using a visa debit. Even though I stayed 1 week before this and they allowed me to pay a cash bond. He was an extremely rude Indian male and wasn’t to interested in my concerns nor was willing to work with me to help fulfil a customers needs.

The room was very warm and comfortable!
    • Studio

The room was very warm and comfortable! It had a nice view too! The staff members were friendly and easy to approach! I’ve alway loved staying here whenever I need to book a hotel in Auckland:)

Great location, worth the money..
    • One-Bedroom Apartment

no water on Saturday morning due to outside road works.

we were expecting just a hotel room, pleasantly surprised to have sitting room, kitchenette and washing machine and dryer. fabulous location.

There was no free parking space so we had to pay $20 for...
    • Studio

There was no free parking space so we had to pay $20 for every night to park the car in the basement. While it cost $18 to park on the street outside.

A fun family get-a-way in a really nice hotel.

ahhh the weather.

The view was amazing and the bed very comfy. Such a great location in Takapuna as well. The kids had lots of fun in the pool and having an extra TV in the room was handy. We also really liked the kitchen in our room, easy to self cater. Extra milk was also quickly delivered to our room when asked.

Superb!

all was great.

The staff was amazing. Friendly and they seem to recognise you from diner to breakfast etc. felt like a home away from home. Perfect as a business solo traveler. The food at the restaurant was simply superb and I will come back with my family next time.

The room had 2 comfortable king size beds so easy to share a...
    • Studio

The room had 2 comfortable king size beds so easy to share a room with a friend. Great location to the shops, cafes and restaurants in Takapuna. Friendly staff. We had a great view towards Auckland City which just looks stunning at night, so remember to request a room with a view towards the city if that's what you'd like to see before you go to sleep.

Disappointing - did not meet expectations.
    • Studio

Spa pool was no where as hot as it should have been. Reported to staff who didn't seem that bothered. This was very disappointing as it was a cold day and a pool is one of the main reasons we chose this property. The whole property is starting to look really shabby. Staff seemed very neutral and unenthusiastic on things. Had to go back to reception 3 times in a row to get our key card reactivated because they had shut it down to early. Had to pay $20 a day for parking which we had no prior notification of - this seems extraordinary. We have stayed here a number of times in the past - but was is our worst experience to date. Room only had towels and crockery for 2 people even though we'd booked for 4.

Great location, tidy.

Great choice for Takapuna - comfortable and clean
    • One-Bedroom Apartment

We stayed here one night but wish it was more. The room was spacious, comfy bed and pillows. Great water pressure in the shower. Had a lovely view out to Takapuna Beach. Staff were very helpful and friendly. The room and hotel had everything you needed. The location is really great, just around the corner from a main shopping/restaurant street.

We had a very enjoyable and happy stay. Possibly the best we have had in NZ.
    • Studio

Could have done with a second chair so one could sit. And maybe eat or read the paper.

It was above our hope for staying convenient to the plans we had.

Poor, very disappointed!
    • Studio

Staff have shocking knowledge of the area they are in. Soup came without bread and then when it was delivered there was no knife to spread the butter on. My room was right beside the gym. All I heard all night and morning was free standing weights dropping on the ground!!

The soup was lovely.

Bed was comfortable.
    • Studio

Internet was poor. Told the front desk. Improved a little for the while. There were 2 queen size beds in the room but only 1 chair. A couch or something similar would have been nice.

Bed was comfortable. Nice outlook.

Great stay!
    • Studio

Car parks can be hard to find but the staff were very accommodating to that fact and made sure we were ok.

Good location, handy to shops, bus stop. Nice facilities and friendly staff

Overall presentation and cleanliness of hotel.
    • Studio

Room still wasn’t cleaned by 4pm, we had to ask for more towels as ones from the morning were still wet.

Overall presentation and cleanliness of hotel. Good facilities

Nice view but room needs updating
    • One-Bedroom Apartment

While paint on walls looks reasonably fresh, the couch is tired and drab. All furniture is dark and very old fashioned. No furniture available to utilise for the view and no furniture provided on little balcony. Lighting in kitchen very poor.

We had a lovely view over the harbour to the city from the 7th floor and some of Rangitoto.

Convenient to work
    • Studio

The aircon they said they fixed in my room and it wasn’t. The beds are terrible, the rooms are old and tired. The bathrooms have cracked tiles and the cleaners don’t vacuum the rooms during your stay and finally I found a lot of hairs on the other bed in the room

The location is amazing

Excellent customer service from Front Desk staff.
    • Studio

While buffet breakfast was lovely thought it was a little pricey for 2 adults and 2 children - over $90

Excellent customer service from Front Desk staff. Clean rooms. Good accommodation option, easy access by car back into CBD. Would definitely stay again.

nice hotel.
    • Studio

The car park is stupid how you drive on the opposite side of the road due to arrows.If tourist stay here they could easily get confused when coming out of the carpark and back on the road.

nice hotel. more of a high end hotel. Probably wasn't the best place for young kids as the rooms are not very big for 2 kids to play haha.Hate having to put bond down and waiting for the money to go back into my account but that's probably because of people who damage rooms. But maybe it should say that there is a $100 bond before booking as it could catch people off guard.

Lovely Takapuna
    • Studio

Getting out of Takapuna in diabolical traffic situation.

Fantastic views from a very generous size room and direct access to the car park for a "quick getaway" in the mornings. Everything was very good and the location in Takapuna is fantastic and :just far enough away" for folks who do want to stay in the city.

Ho Hum
    • One-Bedroom Apartment

Charging for car park. Lack of comfort in the room's lounge - no cushions. No complimentary newspaper. Décor in the restaurant ceiling very unsightly Breakfast cornflakes not crisp Apple juice starting to ferment Croissants at least a day old and cold Coffee not hot. Charge of $52 for breakfast was excessive given the lack of quality, Would give it 3 1/2 - 4 stars

Staff service was excellent, the view from the room was spectacular. Evening meal in the restaurant was excellent.

Not bad, had a good sleep.
    • Studio

Found it a little dated, shower not so clean (hair on shower floor) and probably a little expensive for what it was.

The staff are excellent and we ate at a lovely Japanese restaurant nearby - there were lots of others too.

Absolute Luxury
    • Studio

Outstanding service, beautifully appointed room in a fabulous location. We only had a one night stay and can't wait to go back to enjoy it for a longer stay.

Nice public areas and location but for a four and a half star hotel it needs room upgrades
    • Studio

The room was dated and very tired, 7 cracked tiles in the bathroom, dirty hand mark on the doors, other peoples hair in the bedding, cleaning was very average- windows filthy. Vertical garden in reception was half dead and the greeting staff were unfriendly

The public areas were nice, good location

Great location but not worth the money spent.
    • Studio

Our whole floor smelled really strongly of some sort of ethnic food (cabbage or something strong like that). The carpet in our room was actually like outdoor carpet stained and looked very unclean. The entire property is really dated with floors and decor from long ago. Definitely rooms and common areas not up the price charged.

The pool area.

Awesome spot ruined by power. Loss.
    • Studio

Power outage for several hours afternoon/ evening , ruined plans for entertaining ,and no offer of compensation.

Being high .The view. Privacy.

Over all we had a good stay, the staff are very good to deal with and very helpful.
    • Studio

The room decor is a little tiered, but tidy. The the TV is too high on the wall. The breakfast was a little bland, it looked like they had used powered eggs for the scrambled eggs, bacon was not crispy. over all the breakfast was OK for a 3 star hotel and like the room looked tied and needs a refresh.

Staff are very friendly and helpful.

Fantastic
    • Special Offer - Studio - School Holiday Package

Wish there had been shade provided at the pool, was scorching hot during our stay and no shade umbrellas were provided.

The pool was fantastic and the view from our room was amazing.

Kindness of staff.
    • Studio

Room was not very clean, particularly the bathroom. Gym is well equipped but no towels were supplied, again raising concerns about hygiene standards

Kindness of staff. Location (close to Takapuna beach)

Overall wasn't good or bad
    • Studio

Paying for parking, we payed $190 for the night then have to pay for parking .shouldn't have to pay for parking .should be included in the price of room .

The view

The bed eas very comfortable for us
    • One-Bedroom Apartment

The bathroom needed to have some attention. The cabinettes were worse for wear.

The bed eas very comfortable for us I was great to have an upgrade to a suite and to have a fridge.

Very Pleasant and relaxing
    • One-Bedroom Apartment

Bed was very comfortable. The full cooking and laundry facilities were extremely useful. The full kitchen provided the ability for us to self cater the strict diet we are on. The views from our rooms were absolutely spectacular. Service was friendly and efficient.

Overall a really great stay, would go again.
    • One-Bedroom Apartment

Only 1 hour of free wifi and had to pay for parking otherwise was great.

We got a room on the 19th floor which had amazing views, apartment was spacious and staff really thoughtful. We came back after getting married and they had done room up for us.

Would have expected better.
    • Studio

Overall decor very dated. No room bar or snacks, etc.. Restaurant meals did not look very inspiring and pricey for what they were. Power went out whilst dining.

Very basic hotel would probably be more suitable for business people

Over priced, unclean will not recommend or stay again. Very disapointing.
    • Studio

the cleanliness and the poor condition of the rooms and bathrooms. There was mould in the shower and floor and in the kitchen the cabinet doors were filthy and scuff marks on the walls. the lobby and hall ways had a unpleasant odor.

the view and the customer service

Nice but could definitely be better
    • Studio

Being charged twice for my stay and the confusion that entailed from that. Having to pay additional for WIFI. Paying for parking when even off-street parking is charged for.

Beds were comfortable. Kidso enjoyed a vast selection of sky channels to choose from

Good couple of days thank you again.
    • One-Bedroom Apartment

Shower in bath. Lighting in kitchen very poor.

Facilities were excellent, shower in bath was problem for me because of age. Missed visual clock during the night in bedroom, enjoyed the complimentary paper.Thank you all .

Without fail, the check-in "robotic" service desk lets the place down.
    • Studio

The service is very "robotic" and while staff smile woodenly, they are not welcoming in the true sense. We were told on arrival that if we had booked directly rather than via booking.com we would have wifi access and other benefits we were unable to take advantage of. We could park at the hotel for $20 or park on the road for $6.

Always clean and lovely views from the rooms. A short walk to Takapuna shops and a quiet location.

Perfect NYE stay.. With the best views over the Bay
    • Studio

Paid wi-fi. And the bar closed early.

We were given an upgrade with a view to The Auckland Skytower and fireworks on New Years Eve. The beds were very comfortable too.

Good central location, but overpriced for what it offers.
    • One-Bedroom Apartment

Having to pay $20.00 perday for parking is outrageous! Hotels of this calibre should offer free parking. NO mini bar in room as advertised and room service costs absolutely over priced so we didn't use it

Good central location, but overpriced for what it offers. Bathroom pretty tired for 5* accommodation

great place to stay after a long day
    • Studio

staff let us leave our car parked there after checkout while we went for a walk to the beach. emailed previously about our extra child travelling with us and they were helpful and fast to reply

A good location in Takapuna, easy to walk to shops and restaurants nearby.
    • Studio

Bed was a little uncomfortable but that is personal preference. Housekeeping a bit slack had to phone at 4.30pm to get room cleaned.

Restaurant staff were very friendly and helpful enjoyed the menu, however restaurant décor is very dark and needs brightening up.

Overall we would recommend it to others - great place to stay.
    • One-Bedroom Apartment

Rooms could do with an upgrade especially the bathrooms and lounge suite.

We enjoyed our stay; the staff were friendly and it was good value for money.

Felt like I was on holiday
    • Studio

The staff were exceptional pleasant and helpful from the moment we arrived. The property was clean (thoroughly). And the room and beds were very comfortable.

Too short!
    • Studio

After two very long and late flights I found the male receptionist very cold and unfriendly. Not exactly the way I am used to being greeted.

The property was immaculately clean.

Overall ok, but pricey
    • One-Bedroom Apartment

Hot in room when I arrived. Air con could have been on to make more comfortable. Limited, sporadic replenishment of consumables

Great location, nice size apartment

Had a superb view of the Auckland skyline from our room and...
    • Studio

Had a superb view of the Auckland skyline from our room and found it easy to travel into the city centre and Devonport by bus from very close to the hotel. Parked in the street close to the hotel. Plenty of restaurants plus beach in Takapuna.

Should have stayed somewhere else.
    • One-Bedroom Apartment

Paying for internet is a joke... Room service very limited options. Ham and mushroom pizza was more cheese and sun dried tomatoes than ham and mushroom. Awful.

It was a good break.
    • One-Bedroom Apartment

The unit came with a full kitchen for cooking etc but there was no dishes for the microwave or the oven . No bowls - just nothing.?....Also parking underneath is expensive .

Nice view from room. Comfortable bed .

Immaculate views and spacious apartments marred by costs of parking and wifi.
    • One-Bedroom Apartment

One thing worth noting is that there is onsite parking but it costs $20 per night which is the same price as surrounding on street parking. You also get an hour free wifi per day before it costs. If traveling for business it'll pay to factor this in to your costs.

Comfortable spacious beds, immaculate views and and modern facilities made this an enjoyable stay

Gorgeous views spoilt by costs of parking and wifi which are standard in most locations.
    • One-Bedroom Apartment

One thing worth noting is that there is onsite parking but it does cost $20 per night which is the same cost as street parking surrounding the hotel. Wifi also costs but you do get an hour free each day.

We were lucky enough to be placed on the 17th floor overlooking the Northshore and out towards the city. The view was amazing and the spacious apartment catered to all our needs.

Great room, comfortable and very friendly staff.
    • Studio

The breakfast was very low par. We had booked from the previous day so it wasn't a surprise when we turned up. They had one chef on. Food came out very slowly. I had eggs benedict but unfortunately the bun wasn't cooked properly, the bacon was drenched in oil and the hollandaise sauce was bright yellow and definitely not a hollandaise sauce. It took an hour for one mum to get her muesli. But they were sorry and apologised.

We stayed at the accommodation with 12 children and 10 adults, as we competing in Auckland for a competition. The rooms were very clean and tidy. The children loved the waffle dressing-robes. Room service was quick and friendly. It was situated very close to our destination of Westlake Boys High School.

Disapointed. Would not stay here again.
    • Studio

No free parking. $ 10.00 pernight. Rung one night before to ask we could change the arrval date one day later as I came down with flu..the lady on the phone answered that would be against cimpany policy after speakubg to management. So we had to arrive that day otherwise the cancelation fee would be $360.00. On arrival at 8.30 we had to wait with other guests for 15 minutes before we could check in...not enough staff? The outdoor area around the pool ans spa looked run down.

Broken tiles in bathroom.. fridge did not fit into place and stuck out.

Decent place to stay. All you need. Was quiet. Friendly staff. Dissapointing breakfast .
    • One-Bedroom Apartment

The breakfast was no good at all. Bacon was cold. Mushrooms and potatoes seemed old and rubbery. Wasn't worth the money. Wifi was very limited. My mistake was only booking the room for 1 which meant we were charged for one breakfast which was as I mentioned a waste of money.

The spa was nice really big and outside