Reviews of The Thorndon Hotel Wellington by Rydges 3.5 stars

24 Hawkestone Street, 6011 Wellington, New Zealand

#44 of 54 hotels in Wellington

• Standard King Room

The staff member @ checkout was exemplary. She upgraded my accommodation as it had been incorrectly booked and helped me find parking for my car when I had overlooked that this was not included in the booking. She deserves a raise, she was kind and caring and showed just the right level of support for a stressed out Mum in a difficult situation.

• Superior Queen Room

When we arrived we wanted to rest because our flight was very early that day and as soon as we went to bed there was a drill that didn’t allow us to slip. I called reception and they didn’t know what time they would finish. It stopped then for while and then it started again. We asked for a room change but they didn’t know what if the following day they would be working in the same area or not. The next day we woke up with a hammer noise and also someone from housekeeping listening music on the hole. We decided to go away. I never could log in to wi fi as well. I thought Rydges was a serious company. I work in hotelery management since 12 years and I never was informed that the hotel was rebuilding.

• Standard Twin Room

The parking situation. I parked out front in a place that was not a parking spot and was told to leave my keys at the desk and they would park the car for me when they found a spot. I checked back twice and the car was never moved.

• Standard King Room

Spacious,very clean room and bathroom. Bed was very comfortable and Checking in and out was a breeze. Pretty much close to shops and nearby drinking holes and eateries.

• Standard Queen Room

The evening meal was beautiful. Everything was well presented. The staff very pleasant and helpful. the staff help with luggage was excellent. The room was very well presented and very comfortable

• Family Room

Small parking area but it was adequate

Fantastic service from the minute I walked in! Beautiful place and excellent value for money! We dined at the in house restaurant and the food was exquisite! Absolutely divine! And the kids got to eat for free since we were 2 fill paying adults!

• Family Room

We were in a family suite which had recently been painted. My husband woke the next day feeling nauseous and unwell. Not a good start to the vacation.

We ate in the restaurant for all our stay here, and the meals were absolutely superb. The bar was where we met up with the rest of the family and had coffee, tea and drinkies. The staff were extremely helpful and friendly.

• Standard Queen Room

Breakfast Sunday morning (3rd June) was a bit of a disaster. Ran out of food and had to wait for some of the hot dishes. Other than that, breakfast was fine. Took a while for hot water to come through the shower.

Close proximity to CBD. Requested a particular room and that request was met. Staff pleasant, in particular Ben was very congenial and took time to talk about his home country.

• Standard Queen Room

Lack of parking, bed hard and not comfortable, bathroom was not clean on arrival, room had ajoint suite and accidentally opened the door to another persons room - was not aware of this.

Location was handy.

• Standard King Room

When we were checking out there was girl staff they are Friendly and good customer service but there is only one guy who was not friendly and he shouldn’t be at the front. Also my partner asked about breakfast and he told us full booked for breakfast but when we Went there no “reserved” on table he was not telling us truth and being honest we are not happy to come back also I’m sorry to girl staffs who worked hard. Is he the manager or boss? So sad.

When I arrived there, staff are really nice and friendly :) and service :)

• Standard King Room

No dislikes but bath towels could be a tad more heavy. Although we got a park it is pretty random whether you actually get a park.

Very comfortable bed and excellent shower. These are the two vitals. We thought it was very quiet and excellent value for money (VfM) with breakfast and handy location.

• Standard Queen Room

The bathroom needed to be checked properly by the housekeeping staff. The entrance via the parking area was messy. Not a good first impression.

The reception staff were amazing. Friendly and very helpful.

• Superior King Room

Don’t be fooled by the photo thinking it’s relevantly new. Rooms old and boring, got there in the evening, room was cold. It would be nice if staff could put heater on low. Car park is terrible. Ate at the restaurant as we were to tired to go to town, very overpriced - meat was good but to be served with coleslaw that looks like it’s out of a bag an chips.

• Superior Queen Room

Front desk staff need to check booking before trying to charge me for breakfast which was prepaid with booking. Menu options and food not up to my standards. Waitress did not know what was fish catch of the day.

Very comfortable and well appointed room. Quiet and good nights sleep. Small intimate resturant which was nice as a solo traveller.

• Standard Twin Room

We did however wish there was a microwave or little stove, because we did budget and grabbed us some food to eat but realised there was nothing to warm it up, and because we were on the 7th floor we didn’t feel like going up and down. Also they just gave us a spoon to use for our teas and that was it, any other sort of cutlery we would’ve had to ask downstairs.

The property was really good, it was close distance to walk down to the centre and find your way around. Also, you could catch a bus to Courtaney Pl that was the lively area that had everything and not too far from Cuba where all the stores were located. The room itself was clean, we got two singles and the bathroom had enough towels for the both of us. The breakfast was not included which was what we should’ve asked for, but you could pay $15 or $25 for breakfast in the dining area on the ground floor. We did have dinner there one night and we might have slightly ordered but the food was incredible- shout out to the chefs! That buttermilk fried chicken was divine 😍

Paint flaking around the shower on the bathroom floor. Shower flow odd.

Parking out the front. Very comfortable bed. Extra blankets delivered swiftly.

• Standard King Room

The bed....mattress very uncomfortable, partner n I both had sore backs in the morning Also the website info needs updating...says sone rooms have bath or shower, I requested a bath but receptionist said all rooms only have showers

The Location was great, restaurant - Breakfast was plentiful & filling

• Standard King Room

Not very clean, splashes and dirty hand marks on the walls. Bathroom was the same

Staff werr helpful amd friendly, good location if you dont mind a bit of a walk

• Standard King Room

The parking situation is suboptimal although it was actually not an issue both times we stayed - got a free park directly outside and could see the car from our room.

Close to the ferry for an overnight stay after or before crossing. Convenient location to walk to local attractions . Bed comfortable. Cleanliness satisfactory. Good value accommodation .

• Standard Queen Room

Room was smaller than expected and bathroom was not very clean.

Efficient friendly staff. Check in and check out easy. Resturant staff very helpful and food was good. Location was handy and staff good at giving directions

• Superior King Room

I moved the beds together as we have a small child and didn’t want him rolling off the bed and the carpet under the bed hadn’t been vacuumed we had to put the bed runner on the floor so our son wouldn’t play in the dust.

Room was a good size,had heating and good size bathroom

• Standard Queen Room

A microwave in my room would have been nice.

I stayed for twelve nights. I could have done with more options on the menu but what was on it was pretty good. Room service was excellent. Loved being able to watch the rugby from my room. Staff were very friendly and helpful.

• Standard Twin Room

I would have rated the hotel higher if not for one of the snootty staff at breakfast who did not approach me, the adult, and the first one she saw with fluffy sock covered feet BEFORE we even gave her our room number and entered the restaurant, but the youngest member of our trio, while she was alone getting her breakfast also with fluffy sock covered feet and said "you guys need to put shoes on". We are 3 females! It was a cold miserable morning and our heeled boots were far more detrimental with our tottering around the bain marie and coffee machine and even the customer in jandals would have had more dangerous footwear than our fluffy socks. No one else in the restaurant was slightly interested in our footwear including the other wait staff. The same staff member when checking us out of the hotel proceeded to cough over everything in sight which was very off putting and I had to obviously lean away from the counter to get some distance from her.

The man at check in was fabulous and a credit to your hotel. We had a family room which was large, comfortable, warm with a lovely bathroom and lots of towels and toiletries. We had drinks at the glass house bar which were all generous. The young lady in the bar was also lovely. The cooked breakfast selection was large and delicious especially the freshly cooked pastries. Having just come back from Paris the choc au pain and croissants were just as yummy. I would stay here again.

• Superior Queen Room

Breakfast buffet food, although comprehensive, was only luke warm - as was the coffee from the machine. For $25 I would have expected better.

Great location close to supermarket and shops

• Superior Queen Room

Convenient location just off the motorway. For anyone travelling by car. Stafff friendly and helpful and give every indication they like people and want their stay to be as good as they can make it

• Standard King Room

The central location was excellent for my needs. Close to the ferry too. Had the most fabulous Thai Beef Salad from the menu which is one of the best meals I've ever had. Kudos to the chef.

• Standard Twin Room

After going to Te Papa (wonderful place to see ), we came back and I couldn't stop laughing at the badly made beds. Went to have a coffee and none had been replaced including sugar and milk.

Friendly staff, wonderful food and reasonably priced. Comfy beds. Handy to Ferry as we were forced to stay in Wellington due to bad weather and ferry cancellations for 2 days.

• Standard Queen Room

Bathroom floor was very slippery, even when dry. Tea was not replaced when only one tea bag left. Bathroom sink could have been cleaner. Reception staff were friendly.

• Standard Queen Room

They took my money a couple of months before my stay then took $50 per night bond when I arrived and also charged $15 per night for parking and for all this no electric blanket on the bed no duvet just a sheet one thin blanket in the draw and a freezing weekend in Wellington. I have stayed here before an not been charged a bond so that was a bit of a shock. Pink mouldy stuff around the shower and bathroom sink shower glass very dirty. Towels very small.

Location was excellent

• Standard Queen Room

The bed was extremely hard and parking access is dreadful with the building that is currently going on. Could do with a shelf in bathroom for toilet bags and a plug for vanity! Disability parking area needs monitoring, so it is available just for those who qualify.

Good value for money, and bonus having restaurant on site.

• Superior King Room

There wasn't enough car parking, front desk should be more friendly approach, helping on customer needs.

Overall the stay was good and the hotel room is clean & spacious, nearby distance to main city center.

• Standard Queen Room

Wind whistled through the shutters on 9th floor and impacted sleep. Room cleaning trolley left outside my door for the stay and when we came back in the evening there were dirty dishes and rays of food on the floor outside the lift. Not a good look.

Comfy bed and room was nice and clean. Friendly staff.

• Standard Queen Room

Check process easy (staff at reception welcoming, professional and had all the details of my booking prepared). Location of property was great (made easy to get to meeting downtown), facilities very clean, had a good night sleep (bed very comfortable), room was warm and cozy. Parking was easy for evening check in

• Standard Queen Room

The Window would be the only issue whistles like crazy when its windy becomes annoying after a while.and the wind 😁😁😁

Good Location close to motorway, very clean in room, nice restaurant downstairs, staff friendly and good location to access the city centre.

• Standard Queen Room

Put a mattress protector on the bed! It was very odd there wasn't one. How do you keep your mattresses from getting stained? Also, the $150 bond for two late middle aged people was also odd. There was no mini bar to "steal" and the room facilities were basic so not really sure what this was for. However, was forewarned by other reviews so came as no surprise.

Location of this hotel is excellent

• Family Room

The reception are so serious and they dont tell us theres a charge for roll bed. They just charge us right away

The housekeeper who gave us roll bed was so accommodating and approachable.

• Standard Queen Room

The front desk staff were inconsistent. No one wanted to acknowledge you as you walked in or out of the lobby area, even a welcoming smile was not so forth coming. We work in the Hosp trade and understand that the hours are long, but a smile goes a long way to making your customers feel appreciated. The meals were average and lacking taste, it doesn't take much to make the scrambled eggs taste great or a coleslaw tasty with a good mayonnaise. This was our second time staying at the property and it the rooms felt tired.

Nona was very friendly, polite and helpful when we were ordering our dinner and she went out of her way to talk to us.

• Standard Queen Room

At night we like to go out and eat and when we return we like to relax watch the rugby or league and have a wine or cup of tea/coffee unfortunately only 1 x cup and no wine glasses. I know you are trying to promote your bar area etc but I believe this wont deter everyone from using your bar area. We had breakfast and it was very good and plentiful. Regards

Second time there, enjoyed.

• Standard Twin Room

Disappointed with the amount of sachets of sugar (ie not enough, and only white sugar or sugar substitute). Finding a cockroach in the room was disappointing (around the bed), so unknown if where it had really come from (linen supplier or unclean storage etc). 1 of the blankets on the end of the bed had an Iron mark in it.

Room was fine, pretty minimal overall. It is a 3 star Hotel, so you get what you pay for really, and especially in Wellington. Staff were pretty friendly, and it's only a short 10 minute stroll into the central city.

• Family Room

Window in the room not close so had the wind blowing all night, and window still had rot in it. The Room was not cleaned between our nights, had pulled top cover up on bed and it was left like that. Rubbish Bin not emptied in room. We were worked up at 7.30 as the builders worked. The Carpet was torn in the hall outside our room. Shower had no where to put soaps or shampoo except the floor. Room only had 1 double power point so had to pick what to charge and when.

Bed was comfortable

• Standard Queen Room

No matress protector only discovered in morning. Bed dusgustinly stained yuk. No soap no milk .

The restaurant was brillisnt for dinner.... best eye fillet ever

• Standard Twin Room

Staff could be more friendly and have a smile...go the extra mile...but it is hard to find in NZ hospitality.

Reasonably clean and tidy. Comfortable bed. No noise from streets. Close to everything.

• Standard Queen Room

The hotel is not particularly close to anything so unless you have a car you'll be ubering around. Take that into account. Gym is a free pass to the CityFitness gym, which is AMAZING but its a 10 minute walk away, which is no fun when its raining and cold and you're walking in your gym shorts.

Breakfast buffet was good. Bar was good. Staff friendly. Staff friendly.

• Standard Twin Room

We booked 2 rooms. 1 room had extra towels, 2 pillows for each bed, and extra toilet paper. The other room only had 1 pillow for each bed and 1 toilet paper - also wished they had given more than 1 towel per person staying in the room so we wouldn't have to reuse wet towels.

- Free drink vouchers, early check-in, and late check-out thanks to Genius perks. - Room + buffet breakfast combo was so worth it. Good options: bacon, scrambled egg, poached egg, sausages, different kinds of bread, cereal, etc. (Turned out to be around $13 pp for the buffet breakfast) - Good value for money especially if you're a Genius member. - Clean, well equipped, free off-street parking during the weekend. - Location. Supermarket and takeaway shop 2 mins walk from the hotel. Beehive is 7 mins walk away.

• Standard Queen Room

The complementary buffet breakfast was average. Not much of a range on the table to chose from. Coffee was dispensed via an automatic machine. Had to pay an additional $5.00 for a cup of coffee made by a member of staff on a real coffee machine however it was luke warm. otherwise all else was not bad. Had to leave early in the morning for an early flight (before 5.30am) and it took over 3 minutes for the hot water to kick in before I could take a shower.

Good location for business visit to Wellington

• Family Room

When this was booked it was booked through a business visa card. This was expected to be charged to this visa and was not. Lucky that the gentleman did however have his own visa card. Also 1 double and 2 single beds was asked for and this was excepted through email, however was 4 single beds in the room.... Very disappointed to hear about this.

• Standard Queen Room

The room was unclean - hair on shower walls, marks on linen. Toilets in foyer were unclean and leak stained roof etc.

Bed was comfy, breakfast was delicious.

• Standard Queen Room

Nothing except possibly $15 per night to park but at least it was a very handy park for us being right outside the door (I'm in wheelchair).

Very comfortable and great onsite restaurant with good prices.

• Standard King Room

The lift needed a good sweep out and a tidy up of lining.

The room was quiet and very comfortable for one person.The breakfast was varied and delicious and the dining area was attractive and clean.

• Standard Queen Room

the bed was so uncomfortable needs use matress had to ask for my free drinks on arrive went to bar later to get my free drinks for me and my wife then went to buy 2 bottle of tui and the bar lady said there was no more tui left thats not good service.

close to westpac stadium

• Standard Twin Room

We were impressed to say the least!

We had a group of about 60 people staying at this Hotel together for 2 nights, was great to eat and sit around for the day and catch up with friends, enjoy beverages from the bar and we didn't need to use our vehicles once we parked up for the weekend, easy access to town, rugby, Te Papa.... Very enjoyable weekend and wonderful staff to make an awesome weekend of fun with our family and friends from Taranaki, South Island and Australia!!!

• Standard Twin Room

We were impressed to say the least!

• Standard Queen Room

I think we were impressed to say the least!

• Superior King Room

I arrived after the check in time of 2pm and was told by the VERY unfriendly lady that the room was not ready. I asked if I could pay in the meantime as I had to go back to work. She seemed frustrated that I had asked that, but took the payment nonetheless. I asked if she could confirm our room number as I had to let my husband know as he was on his way to the hotel. Again, she was very offish and told me that she could not tell me the room number as the rooms were not ready (it was 2:15pm at this stage). I had to phone back at 3pm to be told the room was finally ready. If check in is at 2pm, this is the time we should be allowed to go to the room, or get a discount for the hour we are paying for without having the benefit of utilizing the facility. Check out was also just as unpleasant. Very, very unfriendly staff. Certainly won't be back.

• Standard Twin Room

There were about 10 stray short dark hairs all over the shower which was pretty disgusting not sure how housekeeping could possibly missed that if they cleaned the shower, shower door did not close properly, there was only one coffee mug. Rang reception they sent someone up to fix it but not even an apology! The parking is bad charge $15 to park onsite which is this tiny little area around the back there were none so had to park on the street which I wasn’t happy about but went back to reception and told me I could park In the little garage park where the laundry was so I guess that was something. Service with a smile wouldn’t go astray none of the staff bar one didn’t even look happy to be there. Breakfast in the morning was horrible, 7am they open and all the hot food wasn’t even out yet the bacon didn’t arrive til about 7.15 and it was pretty bad. Overall was not a good experience for the price I paid so I won’t be back

The dinner was really good we enjoyed it

• Standard Queen Room

Providing a small bottle of water can go with the cost paid. I was told I can use water from Toilet as the restaurant was closed. I spent night without drinking any water, mentally it does not tally to have water from basin tap.

Good Beds Clean and Tidy Rooms The person on reception was super helpful giving me directions to where I wanted to go and even asked me later if I got what I wanted

• Standard Queen Room

They didn’t provide proper information about parking they charge $15 in their own parking even on call they just told parking available , but there plenty of street parking available

Good Value for the money

• Standard Queen Room

The shower pressure could have been better and if you were a tall person you would have a problem in the bathroom as they roof seemed very low.

The bed was comfy and the pillows were great.

• Superior Queen Room

It would be helpful to have a plug in the sink for shaving. (Perhaps you have had problems with overflow!

Staff were friendly and helpful. The room was very clean and spacious. Ideal location for our needs.

• Standard Queen Room

They didn’t provide much toilet paper. Some of the food was a bit bland but reasonable for the price.

A good value for money hotel. All the amenities you would expect. Helpful staff.

• Standard King Room

There was a big bag of rubbish open right outside the lifts on level 6 for the whole afternoon and night. Plus a lot of banging during the afternoon possibly from work being done on the building but was not informed

Lovely rooms and access

• Standard Queen Room

Still pretty pricey - the bathroom was dated and the room was quite small for the cost. It appears hotels are taking advantage of the accommodation shortage in Wellington to jack their prices

This was the most cost effective room I could find on booking.com at short notice, that was a private room with ensuite. Staff were friendly and the hotel was reasonable quality.

• Standard King Room

There was some water and hair on the window when first stepping into the room and I cleaned it myself. There was also some water in the kettle already (from previous guests) which should have been checked by housekeeping.

Location is good. Extra longer pillows were very comfortable.

• Standard Queen Room

Not much. Parking was terrible and expensive. Bathroom and toilet were mouldy and unclean. No water glasses, wine glasses or any thing apart from. Dirty mugs.

• Standard Queen Room

Small room, small shower and small towels. 2% surcharge added to room price when paying by credit or even debit card.

Very nice cheerful and happy staff. Comfortable bed and a good breakfast

• Standard Queen Room

Facilities were great however there was a lot of feathers under the bed. Did not have full range of sky channels ie. movies and sports and the TV was generally difficult to operate.

Customer service I received at the front desk was exceptional. Checking in and out was too easy.

• Standard Queen Room

Noisy neighbours - eventually had to move room at 12:30 am - because they refused to be quiet.

Upgraded for 2nd & 3rd nights because of noisy neighbours on the first night.

• Superior Queen Room

Room on the small side but has everything you need.

Suits business travel, close to work, good desk & lighting, comfortable and good value, staff pleasant & helpful.

• Standard Queen Room

The room decor was tired with peeling paint, on the outside of the door and in the bathroom especially. I would have liked a wine glass in the room. There was no room in the car park, but I parked in the street for free.

The location near the supermarket and a short walk to the CBD was good, and the motorway on and off ramps were very close by. There was free street parking available.

• Standard Queen Room

Felt like a stupid paying 7,50 dollars for a phone call from my room to a FREE OF CHARGE 0800 JUST COUSE I USED THEIR PHONE DEVICES!!!

Peefect bed and linning

• Standard Twin Room

Had to ask my room to be cleaned on two (2) occasions.

The toaster was cranked up in the restaurant which was a bonus compared to other visits. Did not use parking facilities. Staff pleasant.

• Superior Queen Room

There was nothing I didn't like. Even the weather was excellent for Wellington.

My family and I were attending a special function nearby. We were greated well upon arrival and parking was arranged. Greeted by all staff including the cleaners who considering their function were particularly pleasant. You staff excel the normal hotel for both pleasantness and willingness to assist.

• Standard Queen Room

We were given an invalid bathroom (which we did not need) which was dirty and left pools of water on the floor. Cups left for us were dirty. No teabags or milk were in the room. We were not told we had to pay for parking at the hotel.

The bed was comfortable and clean and it was a short walking distance to town centre

Although it had just been renovated our room was poorly finished with towel rail hanging off the wall, shower head wouldn’t stay up so the water was directed towards the floor couple other little things.

Walking distance to where we needed to go it was great

• Standard Queen Room

Free acces to the gym, + free BBQ from 4 to 5 on friday!! quiet rooms, landry room access 24/24, car park 15$for 24h. It was a nice and relaxing time. Been perfect!

Browse The Thorndon Hotel Wellington by Rydges traveller photo gallery