Reviews of Distinction Palmerston North Hotel & Conference Centre 4 stars

175 Cuba Street, 4441 Palmerston North, New Zealand

#30 of 49 hotels in Palmerston North

Very central and the staff are top notch.
    • Heritage Superior Room

The rooms are a very strange shape. A converted building parts of it I think so my room, while very wide was very shallow. Had to turn sideways to get between desk and bed to get to bathroom

Very central and the staff are top notch. Bar facilities are great and the food, even in room, was excellent and arrived hot and fresh

Clean, tidy, handy to town
    • Heritage Standard Room

Air con unit was noisy and room in general was noisy - could hear next unit and one above. Stubbed toe on brickwork in bathroom - poor layout.

Location was good, walking distance to town, tidy room,

I love this property. We have stayed twice. It is handy and very clean.
    • Heritage Superior Room

our room was directly through the wall of the old lift. It was noisy, very noisy at unspeakable times of the morning, banging and crashing. This wasn't done by staff but by those staying at the hotel. I would strongly recommend some soundproofing on the wall

A very peaceful and restful place to stay.
    • Tower Superior Room

A mini bar in the room would be good.

Great staff and restaurant food was very good,the waitress did a fantastic job,taking orders and serving everyone on her own.very quiet,no traffic noise.

A good hotel overall, room was a little small, but the reason for my stay was an event, not the room
    • Heritage Standard Room

The room was a little small for my liking, but as it was an older hotel, so I can accept that this is a reality.

The fact that this is a convention center, made staying there a no-brainer. The room was totally fine and there was no noise travelling up to the room from the event, which continued after I went back to my room. There was also secure, off-street, free parking with which I used for my stay. The hotel breakfast was an ok price, and the selection was perfectly adequate.

Excellent room upgrade, really nice hotel to stay at.
    • Heritage Superior Room

The light in the coffee/tea station was out and the curtain rod for closing and opening the curtains was broken on two of the windows. These were the only inconveniences.

Excellent room upgrade, really nice hotel to stay at.

Bar staff nice.
    • Tower Standard Twin Room

TV in the room very small. The place where I usually stay has Netflix so this was a great leap backwards. Also other than a desk chair no where to sit and watch TV anyway. Glasses in the bathroom tasted like they'd been cleaned with window cleaner.

Bar staff nice. Bar food excellent. I had the Angus beef burger one night and the chicken burger the next. The Angus burger was excellent and worth the $24. asked. I found the Bed comfortable and the room quiet.

Clean, comfortable, and quiet!
    • Tower Standard Twin Room

The hotel was clean, quiet, and centrally located. The staff were all friendly and helpful. Oh, and a bonus was that they didn't have those horrible, huge, fluffy pillows that are impossible for side-sleepers.

Adequate on balance.
    • Heritage Standard Room

The rooms varied - the first I entered and didn't unpack. It looked very creaky and poorly equipped. The second the gave me was better, albeit slightly weird with two double beds. The toilet rocked when you sat on it which was unsettling and the water wouldnt drain from the sink quickly.

The place was clean and the staff friendly

I expected better from this Hotel chain
    • Heritage Superior Room

I booked a room with King bed but the room we were allocated had a Queen. I went back to reception and after some checking the room was changed. The new room was ok but the air conditioning was on cold and there was no remote. We went back to Reception and a remote was put in the room but didn't work. We ended up just switching off the air conditioner at the wall and putting on the heater. The bathroom was ok except the lid of the toilet was missing. The curtains did not stop light coming in from street lights and it was very bright and difficult to sleep. It was also very noisy both from outside and others rooms. We could hear people walking around in their rooms and showering.

Friendly staff and great food in the onsite restaurant.

Facilities were great for the purpose...convention
    • Heritage Standard Room

Part of lions convention. Set up of scones ...having to add jam etc took too much time. Staff not willing to help with choice of beef or chicken with dinner or the dessert choice.

Room was tidy, quiet.

Our one night stay was to break our Wellington to Auckland trip. The Hotel met all our expectations.
    • Heritage Standard Room

Poor lighting in the bathroom

The bar / restaurant well serviced, friendly and food excellent, and we loved the old fashioned lift still servicing the floors. Good secure off street parking

It will not be my first pick
    • Heritage Standard Room

Lighting was poor I couldn’t read through my notes The air con Could not be controlled so it was on the whole time through the night

Convenient to the event I attended

Very nice staff and food
    • Heritage Standard Room

The room just needed some maintenance. The tilet flush button worked but had a broken surround.

The restaurant is amazing. Best risotto I have ever had and my partner loved the tuna. Room was very clean

Room in new part of hotel was very good , large, clean, and...
    • Heritage Standard Room

First room allocated was in old part of hotel was 'grotty' and just below standard..On complaint was given another room in 'new' section of hotel...

Room in new part of hotel was very good , large, clean, and comfortable beds. All staff were excellent and meals in Nosh restaurant were excellent.

great stay
    • Tower Standard Twin Room

air con wouldnt go below 25 unfortunatley. gotta be in quick for private parking.

I liked it was cental to the city very clean and tidy. good for an overnight stay. staff were great too. would stay again.

Great for overnight stay
    • Tower Standard Twin Room

We had to park outside on the road but thankfully we didn't have much luggage for an over night stay. The room was clean but a bit dated but for the money we paid that was to be expected. I found it hard to fill the jug from the bathroom tap and had to fill up a glass with water and then tip it into the jug. Not really a fan of the open showers as the floors get really wet but that's just my personal opinion.

Location to speedway was excellent, room was clean and value for money as booked when we got the Value Deal.

The Air conditioner keep turning off so it was very hot.
    • Heritage Standard Room

The Air conditioner keep turning off so it was very hot. needs repairing. You had to turn the main switch off and on to make it work again but that only lasted a short time, so you had to do it again.

Very comfortable and quiet, walking distance to town.
    • Tower Standard Twin Room

Staff could have been a little more welcoming & cheerful. Booked for the secure carpark and initially told it was full.

Very comfortable and quiet, walking distance to town. I would stay again.

Clean and easy stay in Palmy.

Some construction outside but outside of hotel control and it is manageable. No excessive noise.

Room in new area was clean and comfortable. Secure parking lot. Good wifi.

• Heritage Standard Room

The first time we stayed it was good, hence why I rebooked to stay there again. The second time staying there, there were bed bugs in the room we stayed in, causing me to have numerous bites on my body. Therefore it made the stay there less enjoyable.

Location was good able to walk to city centre.
    • Heritage Standard Room

Break fast food quality was very poor, fruit salad was stale as was the bread and croissants coffee was poorly made with to much milk.

Location was good able to walk to city centre.

Comfortable and well priced, friendly staff.
    • Heritage Superior Room

great location for easy walking access to the CBD. Secure on site parking. Aircon was on when we arrived so room temp was great after a long car journey. Reception staff were very helpful at all times. Unexpected upgrade was thoroughly appreciated.

Comfy bed
    • Heritage Standard Room

The air con unit was turning itself off and room was quite hot and stuffy when we arrived. Someone's dinner was out in the hallway all night and smelt the whole hallway out. Was not the best smell to have.

The service was great secured parking out back. The room was nice and bed was super comfy.

Would definitely stay again has all that you need.
    • Tower Superior Room

There was no secure parking space left, we had to park out on the roadside which was disappointing. We wanted room service but that has finished at 9.30pm which we felt was too early.

Nice and clean, staff very welcoming, check in took 2 minutes literally which was great.

Location and parking good,breakfast very good,but overall this hotel is overrated. Wouldn't return.
    • Heritage Superior Room

Bathroom was terrible:- door extremely hard to open from inside,no rail over bath, so dangerous to use shower over the bath! No soap dish, and the thinnest toilet paper ever! Main room was rather cramped: no clear instructions on how to use the aircon: no information written about how to find TV channels, despite there being a SKY magazine in room. It sucked!

Parking off road, secure and of good quality,one staff member friendly and helpful. Bed was comfortable,and room was reasonably quiet.

Would definitely recommend this if staying in Palmerston North - I’ll be back!!
    • Heritage Standard Room

Couldn’t find a fault with anything on my stay!!!

Bed was one of the comfiest I’ve ever had at a hotel. I was upgraded for free to a premium room which was appreciated! Tv was a decent size and was great having a couch so I could curl up after my party to relax. Room service was prompt and didn’t cost an arm and a leg so it made it an easier choice to go with. The man on the front desk was professional and friendly and super efficient.

Awesome stay. Highly recommended!
    • Tower Standard Twin Room

Didn't like to use the air conditioning, it hurts my nose. Would prefer opening a window.

Great customer service and they even gave us an extra room because we travelled as couples.

Great location, tidy and reasonable condition, recommended.
    • Tower Standard Twin Room

Limited secure parking, beds (on wheels) kept moving around, coming away from wall. No biggie, just a little nuisance.

Great location, tidy, clean, good service.

Overall very happy with the accommodation
    • Tower Standard Twin Room

Probably wouldn't chose to stay in that type of room again with shower over the bath as I slipped stepping into it :( ended up with a very painful bruise on my shin that took weeks to disappear

Comfy bed and lots of lovely little extras

Poor attitude to paying guests, dont stay at this place
    • Tower Standard Twin Room

The second night of stay at 5.30pm returning from a busy day went to eat at restaurant. Was advised "oh the bar area and the restaurant are closed for a function" My wife being diabetic really needed to eat, The management said we could obtain food after the function about 7-7.30pm This place only looks after multitudes of "function guests" and does not care about the paying guests in the accomodation. This place has 4 function rooms and generates a lot of noise from the drunken mob. Myself and other paying guests went in search of food down town, the closest was a pizza place Never ate in accommodation again and was glad to get out- very poor attitude Will never stay again and would not recommend it..

(1) Close to town and shops

Very good. I would recommend the hotel and would stay here again.
    • Heritage Standard Room

The secure parking was a great bonus for us as we were travelling with bicycles on the car. Knowing that they would be safe was a huge relief. The room was clean and the bed was very comfortable. One of he best night's sleep I have had in a hotel.

Lovely stay overall . No secure parking left had.to park on the road , but we still enjoyed our stay
    • Heritage Standard Room

The wheel chair access bathroom . The water didn’t run towards the plug hole enough water everywhere on the floor when showering

Nice beds and easy check in

Great staff, excellent location.
    • Heritage Standard Room

Having two twin/double beds in the room was a waste. The king bed needs to be an option.

Great staff, excellent location. Just needs to offer king beds to get a 10/10

Value for money even with the little hiccups. Having good staff always makes up for any issues🙂 🙂
    • Heritage Standard Room

Coffee machine had previous occupants coffee dregs in it and was broken. When I took it to reception they were very apologetic but didn't have a replacement. Lighting is a little dim. Some TV channels did not have sound??!

Lovely staff. Comfy bed. Secure of street parking.

Very comfortable, very convenient and mostly very quiet.
    • Heritage Standard Room

The squeaky door hinges! All the doors near our rooms (and our 2) squeaked. We were possibly just lucky there weren't neighbours going in and out of their rooms after we had retired for the night.

Great staff, convenient location. Spacious, comfortable, light rooms.

If I'm every back down that way, this is where I'll be staying ...
    • Heritage Superior Room

Noisy heat pump, but just left that off and used the oil heater provided.

Excellent shower pressure, lovely toiletries, fabulous staff and quirky old-fashioned elevator ...

Staff were lovely we had a booking for 4 but initially only...
    • Tower Standard Twin Room

Staff were lovely we had a booking for 4 but initially only had 2 towels and 1 milk thanks. Staff sorted this out thx Unfortunately I lost my glasses.

Just ok.
    • Heritage Standard Room

Very poor welcome from staff member - We were spoken to as if we knew where everything was including parking, but we didn't. Bed was way too bouncy and there was bird poo all over the outside of the window

Very clean room and bathroom that were nicely decorated

Was in such a good location!
    • Heritage Superior Room

Just one thing that was a problem (completely slipped my mind to inform staff) was the bathroom door kept locking or sticking? and stayed the one night, didn't want to leave 😊

Was in such a good location! The old elevator was such a nice touch, and the place was very clean and comfy. Loved it! 😊

Distinction: A great place to stay :-)
    • Heritage Standard Room

Wi-fi was slow on the laptop. Phone and tablet were ok, but not fast. TV channels are very limited, some don't have volume? We stayed on level one and you could hear through the walls and people walking heavy from the room above which wasn't too pleasant.

Clean, tidy and presentable Hotel. Service is fantastic. Buffet breakfast is perfect, cooked and continental. Eggs cooked to your preference as well which is a bonus. Drinks and meals at the Bar are great too.

Good value for the price.
    • Heritage Standard Room

Bathroom was tiny with an open plan shower with a curtain which didn't work that well for the space.

The staff were helpful and made check in / out easy.

Amazing place to stay, staff we're super friendly and...
    • Tower Standard Twin Room

Amazing place to stay, staff we're super friendly and accommodating. This would be the only place we would stay in when we travel back to palmerston north

• Reviewed: 19 August 2017

Nice facilites - small room - great shower
    • Heritage Standard Room

The size of the room was very small and the desk for working on was not wide enough only very long so was hard to fit things in.

The restaurant and bar were very nice, didn't try the meals, had a dessert which was a nice apple pie.

Everything was very comfortable
    • Heritage Standard Room

Too close to the road, heard everything that was going on. Heat pump took awhile to get working, alot of dust in the unit, as well as in shower area.

Everything was very comfortable

Convenient, friendly location
    • Heritage Standard Room

All my needs were met. The moving beds make it different when sitting up in bed to read - not too much pressure on the wall or you're on the move! The lighting over the desk area was not good for writing and reading in.

The onsite evening meals were great as an option in winter. The proximity to the Conference Centre is a real plus. The willingness of the staff to change my room away from the heritage ones as I can no longer easily cope with stairs and from last time I know that sometimes people do not shut the intriguing old-time lift properly. The helpfulness of the staff when I requested a room with a shower that was not over a bath.

Friendly staff and super handy to Te Manawa
    • Tower Standard Twin Room

I was in a deep sleep, but my hubbie said it was rather noisy for 2 hrs quite late with the tenants upstairs. He thought about ringing reception to complain, but didn't....so it's a little hard to complain!

Chris who was working on reception was super friendly and composed despite how busy it was when we arrived.

Warm comfortable all facilities provided like having 1 stop...

Professional friendly staff

Warm comfortable all facilities provided like having 1 stop sop access to all necessities including car park nice and quiet. Chris at reception even gave great recommendations for personal shopping needs. Food delicious and hearty and housekeeping staff were very helpful and friendly.

Great location for sports venue
    • Tower Standard Twin Room

The car park was full every time we tried to park there. Thankfully, there was plenty of parking on the street. The bathroom could do with an upgrade and a bit more bench space to put clothing on, but it was sufficient.

The bed was comfortable. Lovely warm room (slightly warmer than we needed, but we are from Wellington!). Location was fantastic as we were attending the Manawatu Arena daily. The cleaner did a good job.

Great central location so parked up the car and walked everywhere.
    • Tower Standard Twin Room

Bathroom was clean but very tired. Exterior looks a little sad and needs a makeover. Air conditioning in room couldn't be adjusted and it made sleeping uncomfortably warm.

Location, quietness, free parking, great bar and great staff.

Excellent service
    • Tower Standard Twin Room

There were 2 double beds in the room. Would have preferred 2 single beds as well as a double bed.

The staff were really polite, helpful and accommodating. We had 2 elderly folks whom each had a mind of their own, but special mention to Lance (night reception), Chris (morning reception) and David (dining area), amongst others, who made our stay, especially with 2 seniors, very comfortable and memorable.

FIrst night of holiday

nothing really

the room was nice, with a very comfy bed .Hot chocolate sachets were great and a full range of toiletries were offered. Staff very pleasant and great to have parking. Very close to shops and restaurants. Got it for a great rate thru booking online.

Lots of choice and beautifully cooked
    • Heritage Superior Room

Breakfast was lovely. The wait staff on at the restaurant in the evening were fabulous - thank you Josiah you were excellent. The steak was fantastic - the fish of the day not very exciting sadly

Lots of choice and beautifully cooked

Lovely Hotel,minor changes in above report would be huge benefit to travellers.
    • Heritage Standard Room

The staircase carpet was very dirty and spoilt this lovely place.The fire side was not warm enough for large room.

Very comfortable room,quiet and well appointed.Restrant handy.

Just one word "AMAZING"
    • Tower Standard Twin Room

I love everything but the best is the shower though 👍

What more can I say!!! I'm so excited to let u knw that my family enjoyed our stay and also if I've known anyone who would love to travel to palmy I will recommend DISTINCTION HOTEL...

Hawkes Bay Special Olympic Team stays at Hotel.
    • Tower Standard Twin Room

Perhaps the Parking being on the street. The van could be broken into.

Beds were comfy and breakfast fantastic. The special of accommodation and free breakfast was really fantastic as we were a sporting team and would have had to go to McDonalds.!

One Night in Palmy
    • Heritage Superior Room

Tiles in bathroom needed bleaching there was stains and dirt in the grout. The room needed vacuuming. Bed was made well.

Staff were extremely helpful and polite.

• Reviewed: 30 April 2017

Not as restful as we wanted but otherwise good.
    • Heritage Superior Room

Kept awake most of the night when the rain started as there was a leak outside the window which was really annoying with it's loud dripping noise. The towel rail was loose in the en-suite and the shower head was too low.

The bed was awesome, restaurant was great and the food was excellent.

The hotel was located within walking distance to The Square...
    • Tower Standard Twin Room

We booked for 4 people but only had towels, cups etc for 2. This seems to be the industry standard although it would be nice not to have to ask each time.

The hotel was located within walking distance to The Square and Te Manawa but far enough away to be nice and quiet for the family. We heard the noise from Speedway outside the hotel but we couldn't hear it inside our room. Secure parking was great with plenty of off street parking nearby. The room was clean and tidy. Decent breakfast offered.

Must have breakfast
    • Tower Standard Twin Room

The breakfast was superb! Pancakes, waffles, whipped cream and maple sauce, hash browns, scrambled eggs, bacon, sausages, grilled tomatoes, fresh fruit salad, yoghurt, cereals, bagels, cheese board, juices, espresso coffee.... Must do

Will be staying here again, I enjoyed it but most of all my kids enjoyed it
    • Tower Standard Twin Room

Couldnt open the windows. One of the lifts shakes quite a bit

Stayed in a few hotels, even sky city but this has to be the most comfy bed. The pillows were nice as well, not to hard. Easy walking distance to town

• Reviewed: 20 April 2017

Restful stay in a Heritage building

All good

Awesome croissants the biggest I have seen at a hotel in a long time. Great reception staff on arrival and understanding of the situation I found myself in

central to town clean and tidy
    • Heritage Standard Room

sky tv ??found two sports channels and one movie channel we get more off the basic sky package at home

very clean and tidy and so close to town great staff

Room was comfortable;
    • Tower Standard Twin Room

Secure car parking was full when we returned to the hotel at about 9pm. Fortunately there was parking outside the hotel.

Room was comfortable; breakfast was well presented and tasty

Nice business hotel that is also good for families
    • Tower Standard Twin Room

The night lights for both double beds were next to eachother, which made it impossible to use one while our kids were sleeping on the other bed.

Our booking included breakfast, which covered all the bases and is located in a nice-looking restaurant at street level. The view from our room on the 4th floor was great - the town plus the hills beyond and all the wind turbines!

• Reviewed: 16 April 2017

Palmerston North shining star
    • Heritage Standard Room

Lack pillow choices for different type of sleeper(found it a bit hard), sofa base broken in, no lock on bathroom door. Breakfast were good quality but lack variety. Given only 1 key card per room -> juggle between access and power for current occupant.

Good coffee, friendly staff, contemporary decor. Great location.

• Reviewed: 4 April 2017

Not up to expectations
    • Tower Standard Twin Room

The waitresses at dinner and breakfast were not attentive or observant. At one point at breakfast every table was covered in dirty dishes and guests were clearing tables so they could have a clear table to sit at. Very dissappointing.

The bed was very comfortable and the hotel clean. The receptionist was lovely.

• Reviewed: 26 March 2017

Owners need to look at UK .. how to make old properties look and feel to notch.
    • Heritage Standard Room

It looks and feels out of the 1980's. Really dusty and musty staircase. Need to look at UK .. how to make old properties look and feel to notch.

Room size ok, bed fine

• Reviewed: 16 March 2017

Good value for money with kind and helpful people
    • Tower Standard Twin Room

The heater/air conditioning wasn't working which was a bit of a pain but nothing major, however there were red marks/specks that looked kind of like blood or red dye/paint in the bathtub/shower when we arrived.

Bed was super comfy, we got back to the hotel really late after going to dinner and a movie and the night desk clerk was amazing. Actually all the desk staff were extra helpful.

• Reviewed: 14 March 2017

Interesting property
    • Heritage Superior Room

air con was noisy and difficult to control

Heritage room was quite small but quirky and was perfectly fine for our stay. Loved the ancient lift which also added character.

• Reviewed: 9 March 2017

I went for MBA study and the conference room was freezing.

Cold temperatures

I went for MBA study and the conference room was freezing. i returned back sick in bed for over two weeks. My hotel room was also freezing...

• Reviewed: 5 March 2017

Clean tidy room within easy walking to The Square, Plaza and...
    • Heritage Standard Room

Lounge lights were not working but we told reception about this so it is fixed in future

Clean tidy room within easy walking to The Square, Plaza and Broadway Restaurants. Easy swipe card access parking around the back

• Reviewed: 26 February 2017

Fair Location. Limited sleep with noisy guests
    • Tower Standard Twin Room

This hotel hosts conferences and weddings etc. If you don't mind being waken after midnight when they all stumble back to their rooms then stay here! I wont be returning

Location was good

• Reviewed: 26 February 2017

Really disappointed it
    • Heritage Standard Room

Noisy from whole way ( wake up few times at night) Not enough car park space ( we had to park a car on the random street not feeling safe for it. we paid for car park and free wifi both didn't work not happy about it at all) We got told the wifi password which didn't work by the phone. First time to stay at "D " and it will be the last time. Very disappointed it. Not available for early check in either.

Bed & tidiness & friendly staff

Staff were friendly and professional.
    • Tower Standard Twin Room

The bathroom door did not latch closed properly

Staff were friendly and professional. Room was clean and comfortable. Excellent location, close to shops, movie theatre and restaurants.