Reviews of Willis Wellington Hotel 3.5 stars

355 Willis Street, 6001 Wellington, New Zealand

#47 of 54 hotels in Wellington

• Standard King Room

The hotel needs a lot of renovation. The water was all licking from the shower to toilet sitting area.

The staffs were helpful. The location is good close to amenities. Beds are good.

My credit card was debited in advance and I was not expecting this. My husband arrived on an earlier flight so checked in before me - he was told he had to pay in full before they would let him go to the room even though I was arriving later - I needed to put this on my credit card not his so this was an issue

Beds nice comfy extra blanket provided. Bathroom was basic comfort level but clean

The access at entrance - as an older person with shoulder joint problems I found difficulty dragging my suitcase up the entrance steps even tho' case was on wheels !! - Entrance black steps needed a good scrub !!

Nice & warm as weather cold & wet out

• Standard King Room

Run down hotel .Noisy inconsiderate house keeping staff.Paper thin walls.Dangerous sash window.Door fell off fridge cabinet. Noisy street.

Beds were comfy

• Standard Twin Room

The staff were not very helpful. Very slow to check in and out. We had asked 3 months prior to have our rooms together, through book.me and I had called twice. But when we got there were on different floors!! And at 8am in the morning the room service was vacuuming outside my room, and talking very loudly! Checkout time wasn't until 10am

Good location and very clean

• Standard Queen Room

*The main thing: you have to lug your suitcase up about six or so steps from the entry up to reception... there isn't even a ramp. *Climbing into the bathtub to use the shower. *Room is a bit small. * I think the sliding window in the room I was in needed some sort of window bar or safety device.

The buffet breakfast included in the price made things very convenient in the mornings, and was in a very pleasant setting. Breakfast offerings were a good spread of cereals, fruit and hot food but they are the same every day so you have to create your own variety by your daily choices! The bed was comfortable. But I noticed bumps on my skin and showed the receptionist. Staff were nice. Location is a short walk to the CBD, but it is on the fringe. Overall I guess I liked the price best.

• Standard Queen Room

Our roof was falling to bits in room 607, flakes of it would fall on the bed as you sleep, the toilet wouldn’t flush properly and at one point overflowed because the button got stuck in so we had to use all towels and grab new ones, the shower pressure was a joke dribbled poorly.

Good location, great staff, tidy entrance and easy access, room service everyday was great.

It's looking a bit "tired". Some parts have been modernised, but there's still some work to do.

Good value. Great to have a carpark. Checked out early morning - smoothly - to get to airport at 4.00am.

• Standard Queen Room

We were so comfortable with the room and service was great. Very friendly staff. We had dinner and breakfast, food was of good standard. Will definitely recommend

• Standard Queen Room

We had a neighbor that kept slamming the door up until 3:15 am. There in the information book that is in the room, it clearly stated to keep your noise down.

We had a very early flight so we asked to check in early and that was possible. The receptionist just gave us a room that was similar to the one we had booked.

• Standard Queen Room

Would most definitely stay again next time in Wellington. Location suited us perfectly. Room (including bathroom) was clean and warm. Nothing to complain about.

• Standard Queen Room

There was only one office type chair for seating in a double room.High step up to bath.

Handy location for city. Plenty of space in room. Parking available for a fee.

• Standard Queen Room

It wreaked of cigarette smoke! The flannels and towels did too. I complained to reception just after arrival but nothing done. We went out and back late and still heavy stench. So bad that it woke us all night. I booked a car park a week prior but wasn't told there was none available. The shower rose squirted out of connection onto floor. When checking out apologies were given but reception said they wouldn't have known what to do to fix the smell. Why take a bond if you don't check the room prior to reimbursing?

The location, bed comfortable. Had stayed earlier in week and had a great experience.

• Standard Twin Room

Great location. I have stayed here many times and it is always fabulous! Walking distance to the CBD and good cafes and restaurants etc... Everything you need especially as a business traveller!

There was nothing I didn’t like about the room.

The room was very clean and very tidy. It had all the comforts of a hotel room that could cost 3 times the price. It is within easy walking distance of everything I wanted to do.

• Standard Twin Room

We were very happy with our stay here.....the parking could be a problem if you had a big car....we got a good deal with Booking .com.....we had an excellent room and we enjoyed the buffet breakfast.....we would definately stay again..p.s we liked the central location

• Standard Queen Room

Everything! Including the view. Could barely hear the traffic the hotel was nice,warm and quiet very accommodating. Loved the location handy to Aro St cafe's and shops and a stones throw away from Cuba st.

• Standard King Room

a minor point...the shower, which was tiny, had nowhere to put the soap. Extra $50 required and so far has not been refunded.

it was clean and cheap and in the city and had off street parking ( at a price)

• Standard King Room

The housekeeping wouldn’t make my bed if I was in the room. No microwave. I’ve stayed here in the past and they were able to microwave my eyeliner in the microwave downstairs previously. And housekeeping would previously still make my bed if I was in the room. New management is not good. Oh and no toilet brush in the toilets.

I checked out at 11am as I had to wait for travel. Service was good.

• Standard Queen Room

I couldn't attend travel as fell very ill My friend rang and negotiated that I would pay for one night of the planned 3 day trip. despite this and an email from booking.com saying the hotel had agreed that I would be charged the fee for one night I was charged for 2. On querying this with the hotel they would not change the amount.

• Standard Twin Room

The hotel was a bit far from the conference facility that i attended. Have to catch a cab for $13 which is a bit expensive. However i do not have any issues or complaint about the hotel..exellent service and modern look, touch and facilities. It is convenient as it is opposit the convenience store to buy basic stufs

Spacious room with all amenities and wash room for 2 people.

• Standard King Room

rooms was stuffy no ventilation

it was ok .. I had to bring my pillow from the car as I found the bed uncomfortable and unfortunately left it in the room

Some of the staff were not very helpful or knowledgeable about the city. The show hose leased badly so the showers was not good, but the bath was nice. Advertised that there was a restaurant but it was only breakfast & there was no one around to help with the service

The room was very clean & recently updated

• Standard Queen Room

Excellent and responsive staff and management with attention to individual needs. Helpful and happy to take the time with ideas and problem solving. Quiet- no partying guests! Good breakfast. All very good value for the price.

• Standard Twin Room

Ok, where to start? Don’t believe the photos advertised at all. Awkward onsite parking ($15 a day) and dodgy place right outside the entrance which is advertised as a restaurant but looks like a halfway house and is not in use. Reception was cold and uninviting. They don’t advertise that they require a $50 bond on arrival. Lounge bathroom (Women’s) was dirty (for at least the three days I was there) and lack of amenities. Hallway to room had a smell that could only be described like an old scented potpourri bag which lingered for years, carpet also sagging in places where you could trip if not observant. I stayed in Room 320 (twin bed), located off the stairwell - the windows had condensation because of poor sealant - actually the bathroom window was lined with duct tape / insulation tape! They appear as being double glazed but that’s a joke, they’re not. Heating was a small wall heater that had no instructions to use and seemed dangerous and neither did it heat the room well. Dusty/dirty walls and ceilings (asbestos) and plenty of spider webs across it. Wind blew all day and night and the windows had the hiss and roar right through it. Beds uncomfortable and hard. Traffic noise could be heard all the time and it was terrible. Ventilation in the room was very poor. Cleaning needs to be done far better, even if a hotel is run down you can still dust and wipe! Buffet breakfast was mediocre and never ready at opening of 6:30am - food was still being cooked and it is overpriced, Service was never around I had to write my name twice on the sheet myself because I waited more than 5 mins for someone to show up. Wi-fi was slow. TV channels general, I could go on and on but the reality is if you’re on a tight budget and you don’t mind all of the above then it’s cheap and average, otherwise stay elsewhere. I wanted to leave after I had checked in but there is a no refund policy. I won’t be returning.

The positives: The making of the room was done to a good standard which was a pleasant surprise after a long day outing. The location was a good walking distance to eateries and town (brisk 10-15 minute walk). A shop store across the road that had all the needed amenities and a bottle store 5 minutes walk away.

• Standard Queen Room

a list of buses and timetable for customers on foot ,also nowhere to get a snack or drink without walking a good way so a small café on site .The double glazing in the room needed cleaning plus the window catches were not working and bulbs out in room we notified reception,noise from inside but traffic noise.

comfy bed no noise good tv coverage comfortable lounge

• Standard King Room

Customer service at the counter could improve though with a little more hospitality.

The stay was value for money with a $50 refundable bond and the full breakfast was lovely. The staff were very helpful with transport arrangement. The location is great and within the CBD area. There is a convenience dairy shop right across the hotel where you can purchase your basic necessities. Thankfully, they had hot chocolate as well in the rooms apart from coffee and tea which we made good use of during winter. I would recommend it to anyone who is there for a short-stay and need a place to rest overnight.

No drinking water provided for drinks when tea, coffee and chocs were provided. Only tiny tubs of milk.

Beds are comfortable. Good value with a fantastic location; 20 minute walk to the harbour front. The front desk guy went out and beyond to provide our big car a parking space by moving his own car.

• Standard Queen Room

The water pressure in the shower was pathetic but improved a little after I mentioned it to the staff. When I thanked him when we checked out he explained that it was a challenge that is being worked on.

The friendly and helpful staff

• Standard King Room

Room and bathroom can use a spruce up, walls and furniture were a bit grubby. Blinds didn't cover the windows completely. Quite noisy with traffic from the busy road and noises in the hallway.

Friendly staff, very comfy (king)bed and clean sheets. Daily cleaning of the room and making up the bed was great. Good location, close to Cuba Street. Dairy/supermarket a cross the road from the hotel is great!

• Standard Queen Room

The room had dust and dirt present. The bed was soft with springs present. The hot breakfast was cold.

The business was great for the interviewing I conducted. The reception team were great and helpful. Good location.

• Standard Queen Room

Cons - I was in room 614 (top floor) and the noise from traffic and the hallway was clearly very loud. The bathroom was very basic and the shower pressure was abominable (seriously one of the worst trickles of water from a shower I've experienced). I woke up one morning with red marks on my décolletage and one my face that a consulting pharmacist suggested could have been shingles or bed bugs...I never contracted shingles FYI. The heater didn't work for me but if it did it's not an easy task to get it on.

Stayed 5 nights. Pros - The staff were friendly and easy going. There's a lift. 20 minute walk to city centre and 5 minute walk to the top of CUBA st. The room was large with plenty of natural light.

• Standard Twin Room

If your room faces the street, you might hear traffic early morning. If you're a light sleeper, then that would not be a good option. Not enough spoon provided in my room. Only have 1 spoon but there are 2 mugs. The worker might overlook this matter.

Early check in by 1.40PM (however, this may subject to your room is ready or not during that time). Got the twin rooms, all as advertised in the pictures. Spacious for two. Comfort beds. Good ventilation (2 windows - room facing the street). There are TV, fridge, free toiletries and mugs, electric jug.

The windows appeared to be double glazed with an added panel, but still we could hear all the noises from the street. The double glazing must have been done poorly as there was water condensation within the unit. On the sixth floor were we had our room, the water presure was really low .

the bed was comforable - not saggy at all and warm. Good price for breakfast and good quality.

• Standard Twin Room

Got everything I needed from the hotel. It’s ideally located and is only a short walk to Cuba St, and is close by to key sights. It’s a bit of a walk to the waterfront and the train station but not excessive, and if you’re travelling to Wellington you need to be up for walking anyway! Would stay again

• Standard King Room

The bed was terrible - springs sticking out. The bathroom was so old and wasn’t cleaned properly.

The only good thing about this hotel was the location.

• Standard Twin Room

Few cups in the breakfast area were dirty with lipstick stains on, I had to notify staff.

Great location, comfortable stay and fair breakfast. Checked out 2 days early and they could not provide us with a refund.

• Standard King Room

The staff were so unwelcoming didn't smile unless talking between themselves. No restaurant for dinner even though it stated in the compedeum. No mini bar although stated. Terrible beds we had two singles pushed together by the end of my stay I could barely stand straight. My partner got charged for two breakfasts he never ate he only had a coffee. There was a fifty dollar bond we knew nothing about which would be fine if we had had warning but we saved for this holiday for four months and every dollar counted.From the moment we walked in the door and had an awful welcome we knew this wasn't going to be good. I'm a mother of three and have had a terrible year previous to this so was really looking forward to this break also my first time to wellington. I will not be staying here ever again and will not be recommending it to anybody I know. Seriously tell your stuff to smile they are the face of your business and dont make a good first impression at all.

You will have to walk about 10-15 minutes to get to central town area.

Friendly staffs and clean room. Great value for money. I stayed at upper level which had a superb city view too.

Room was tired and could have done with some upgrading. It was a bit of a walk down to Lambton Quay but close to Cuba Street and War Museum. There was also a bit of traffic noise as well.

Breakfast was good value.

• Standard Queen Room

Was unaware that I needed to specifically ask for parking when I booked, thus we ended up having to find a park on the road, which took up a lot of time and was a big inconvenience

• Standard Queen Room

I stayed at the corner room on 2nd floor so I can hear noises from both side of streets. Especially in early morning when trucks are passing which was a bit annoying.

Very helpful staff. Room was big and clean. Parking spot was a bit small so not easy to park

• Standard Queen Room

The heater failed to work, water damage to walls in bathroom around shower recess, parts of sheeting coming away from wall and some water damage in main room also. The toilet smelled on arrival. Weak water pressure on showering. Expensive breakfast. Car park a tight squeeze even for small vehicles. On arrival having been requested to pay a $50 bond and yet no mention of this anywhere when booked. As I was leaving the country I didn't wish to use my Travel Card therefore forced to pay cash (lucky we had some on us at the time). There was also no mention of paying extra for use of premises car park $15 p/night until I phoned them prior. As advertised, happy to pay $90 p/night, then finding we had extra costs which we did not allow in our tight budget is not a good impression. After booking a special deal online through Trivago, we chose this Hotel for convenience, price and being close to Airport for a day of rest before departure. As first time travelers to NZ, we have been constantly disappointed at the lack of information on websites such as Trivago about special deals. Upfront information will bring us back to Trivago or your Hotel which is badly in need of a face lift.

The bed and pillows were comfy and warm.

• Standard Queen Room

TV was way too small, reception was crap, prob due to the fact that the Tv wasnt much good. No toilet paper in the toilet, was nearly empty.

Tidy, Big bed and Room size. Good location, friendly staff

• Standard King Room

I requested a carpark when I booked, this was not reserved and I was asked three times during my attempts to check in if i'd like parking? Also I requested early check in... instead this was delayed past normal check in of 2pm as the room wasn't ready.

Cheap.

• Standard Queen Room

There was nothing really bad about the property, but I have to write something here

Super close to everything and really nice staff, quiet and comfortable too and good value for money

• Standard Queen Room

This property is earthquake prone - this isn't mentioned anywhere we could see and only in reception that we noticed as we were leaving. We definitely wouldn't have stayed had we known (and we are from NZ). The sash windows were pretty dangerous - you would have them open and then from nowhere they would come crashing down. The room was pretty small - the door just went past the bed and the bathroom door just went past the toilet. You couldn't have swung your cat! This isn't the end of the world though as we really only wanted a bed. The TV was ancient and incredibly fuzzy - again not the end of the world as we weren't there to watch TV. The bed was really bouncy - so not great if you like any kind of support.

location was good, staff were pleasant.

The way how the remote control of the tv is setup is very confusing...easy way to get you pay for pay per view movie system as tv channels are not immédiatelly on screen once you switch on tv...(?)

personnel aidant

• Standard Queen Room

The room compendium advised that alcohol could be purchased in the lobby bar. There was not bar and only a lounge for seating. This should be updated.

I was not aware there was a restaurant available at 355.

• Standard Queen Room

Shower was weak and fridge cupboard falling to pieces. Duster needed a good work out.Lack of parking available due to constraints of Hotel position.

Comfortable bed with good linen.Basic overall. Friendly staff.

• Standard King Room

Cost of breakfast charged was not as the special advertised. Found out during check out that I needed to clarify it to the kitchen staff!

The place is in convenient location, the property is very clean and the daily rate is good value.

• Standard King Room

The room was quite warm at night. Check out time had changed but the compendium wasn’t updated.

Great price for a reasonably central location. 10 minutes walk to Cuba street, Lambton Quay etc. Spacious room though relatively plain. But met all my needs.

Nothing not to like..

Comfortable, tidy, clean and very well maintained an excellent level of professional staff who will go the extra mile for you, easy location( 10 mins to Cuba st), easy checkout an also very lenient

• Standard Queen Room

When I booked on line I thought I paid for my 2 nights, but on my arrival they said I had only paid for 1 night, as it was a deposit!! Why didn't both nights get paid. At other Hotel/Motels I have booked on line I have paid for all the nights booked. I had to also pay a $100 bond on arrival, this was not mentioned, but I except this,BUT when I went to check out and get my bond returned, I was told that I had to pay for 2 nights of car parking, as we were away during the days. This was to park in there own carpark. At no time I was told that there was a cost to park our rental car. What A JOKE . Just another way of collecting revenue.

It was value for what I paid for

• Standard Queen Room

One of the reception staff did not know where the laundry facilities are. Good thing I read the information sheet in my room , and that was accurate. Hotel only serves breakfast and brunch. Same menu everyday.

It's very close to Cuba street, which is where all the good stuff in Wellington happens.

• Standard Queen Room

NO Parking. Stayed there last time for the same price and the room difference was astounding. This time it was poor. Window shades didn't even cover the sun, had to use pins from the staff to pin it to the window! The windows were VERY old and the bathroom one doesn't stay OPEN! Shower handle wasn't staying on so the shower kept turning off during use. Just very disappointing compared to last time, unfortunately would not take the chance of getting a room like that again.

Cheap as always, close to town.

• Standard Queen Room

Great place to stay. Reception staff were wonderful. Restaurant only open for breakfast, wonderful breakfast at that but would of liked an evening meal with the bar on site.

• Standard Queen Room

Reception was understaffed at times and the wait quite long. Key card twice failed to work which meant a trip back to reception from the 5th floor each time.

• Standard King Room

1) The sound/noise coming from the lift could be heard in my room. 2) When i arrived (13:30) my room wasn’t ready. 3) $50 deposit taken but after 5 days not yet returned. Nice way of earning interest!! Not good!

• Standard Twin Room

The bathroom was a little small, definitely not for two people at once.

The rooms were large with plenty of room for our big sports bags & equipment. It was handy to our competition venue. The hotel kept our group of 4 rooms together which was really appreciated and made organisation easy. Wifi access easy and plentiful. I used the comfortable ground floor lounge one evening to stay up when my room mate needed an early night.

Room was a little bit dated and bed was quite hard.

Room size was good for 3 people. Lots of toiletries and towels. Really good location to local amenities and entertainment.

• Standard King Room

I dont like being precharged for a booking. I am happy for a hold for a certain about to be put on my card prior to arrival but full payment being taken before check in puts me off. Even a partical charge would be irritating but I was told by staff here that this is stadnard policy. For this reason I would not go back here unless there was no choice.

• Standard Twin Room

The staff, including the duty manager, gave me absolutely terrible service. They were rude, spoke in another language in front of me, unhelpful and accused me of not doing my booking right when I had. I’ve never had such bad service in my life and I’m extremwly disappointed as it had a very negative impact on my over trip in Wellington.

The bed was comfy.

• Standard King Room

There was no air management in the room unless you opened the windows at which point you had traffic noise. The hotel is in need of a tidy up, it smelt a bit damp and musty and they had fans running in the hallway.

Location to town

• Standard King Room

The room was very old and run down. Shower pressure was bad and everything was old and stained. Shower was over the bath and the curtain didn't reach over the bath edge so every time you showered the floor got wet. TV had bad reception.

The bed was good size. The location was OK for us.

• Standard Queen Room

When I arrived at reception I was seen by Vera but not acknowledged in any way. There was a misunderstanding with my prepayment and I was told to check my bank transactions or she would not check me in. Even though I phoned the property a week prior to my arrival, I had been assured that prepayment would be taken but it wasn't. Plus there was a bond I was unaware of. My room was on the 6th floor. As soon as the lift door opened the smell of cleaning chemicals was overwhelming. The sterile bare walled corridor was not welcoming in any way. If only the key card to my room had been activated I wouldn't have had to deal with reception again. And yes Vera, your name tag was on upside down.

The bed was comfortable. If you like walking you can get around, if not, I would suggest staying closer in the city.

• Standard Queen Room

The shower pressure was unsatisfactory. The water trickled out slowly. Being closely located to town there is a lot of road noise. There is no air conditioning in the room.

The hotel is conveniently located near a small four square open 24hrs. The hall ways are clean, tidy and smells clean. The room is cosey,clean and well lit. We stayed during April and the room was warm. The king bed was extra comfortable. The tea/Coffee facilities were good. Luggage can be stored after you check out.

• Standard Queen Room

Nothing really everything is what we hope for and expected. A room for the night.

Staff we came in touch with on our arrival and check out were friendly and helpful. We arrive really late at night but the staff were so helpful and make sure we are comfortable. They even asked us if we need food or drink since we got here so late. Very friendly. Cleanliness of the room was very good.

• Standard Queen Room

The parking spaces are very tight for most vehicles. Was a little frustrated when a large van with trailer took up three spaces. I was tempted to have breakfast on site but was put off by the price.

The room was very clean, good bathroom facilities, bed was great and venue is in a handy location.

• Standard Twin Room

Breakfast - there wasn't enough food out. No hash browns left, no bacon left. The scrambled eggs were awful.

The property is clean, if a bit dated. The rooms are comfortable. It's good value for money.

• Standard Twin Room

Incredibly noisy - we appeared to be in the centre of a traffic junction - we arrived late & sadly the noise made it very difficult to sleep at all

It was good to have a bath

• Standard King Room

Very noisy, a lot of noise from the corridor to the room and traffic noise. Linen was clean but floors walls and bathroom needed more attention. Had a strong air freshener smell. Could do with a bathroom upgrade. Parking was limited and very tight.

Good base to explore from. Close to Cuba Street and within walking distance to most of Wellington's main sites. Staff were nice. Wellington accommodation is quite expensive compared to big cities around the world but this place was relatively cheap.

Unfortunately the curtains didn’t fill the window space so light shone through all night. There were a couple arguing at 1am till 2:30am and walls were not sound proof so my kids also heard this. (I know not anything you could control) The room we were in had a repair done on the ceiling but it was not blended with the rest of the ceiling so gave the room a bad appearance. 601

The lady at the front desk greeted us with a smile and talked while I was being served. Thank you for the welcoming reception

• Standard King Room

Reception staff could have been a little bit friendlier and happier but otherwise all good.

The location for us was perfect - walking distance to all the cafes/restaurants on Cuba Street and within walking distance to the War Museum. Awesome. The room was good - comfy and clean with everything you needed. Bed was a little firm for my liking but good. Would recommend and would definitely stay again if price was as good as it was this time for us.

• Standard Twin Room

Our room was a twin room - smaller than a standard twin room.

Our room was simple but comfortable. The CBD is a nice short walk away. It was great to have the convenience of the 4 Square right across the road.

Browse Willis Wellington Hotel traveller photo gallery