Reviews of Ars Hostel

#187 of 269 hotels in Kraków

Based on 150 hostel reviews

Way overrated
    • Bed in Room for 6 People

I'm amazed at how well this hostel is rated. The bedding is extremely old and the beds make horrible noise with every movement. Linens also seemed dirty and I'm fairly sure I saw the same ones on a bed between guests. Common area has bunk beds in it regardless of what the owner said in a previous comment. You have to walk through this room to get to the kitchen and bathrooms so I woke a child up several times. Very disappointing

It's in a great location

Great if you want a cheap place to party..

From the price I guess one can't expect much but the basic cleanliness was a bit of an issue, especially in the bathroom which I didn't feel comfortable using. The set up of the hostel is quite strange as you have to walk through the common room to get to the bathrooms and on one of the nights some guys had a preparty in there so as a girl I felt quite uncomfortable walking through there to get to the bathroom. The walls are paper thin so you can hear everything, and even if we had a private room, earplugs were a must. I got the feeling this is the kind of hostel people come to who go on party trips and so the atmosphere was not great if you're not really into that. I was travelling with a friend (female) and I wouldn't recommend it for female guests (especially if you're alone). I simply didn't feel safe and I've stayed at many hostels in my life and I don't really have high standards, but this made me feel uncomfortable and uneasy. Still, if you're a group of friends looking for a good time, this is the place for you!

The staff was nice and helpful. When we complained about the noise level of the other guests, they tried to manage the situation by reminding them that noise level after 22.00 should be kept down. Very good location and cheap.

Avoid

First night was in a room which looked like the basement. The boiler was visible occupying half the table and it felt like we were allocated the staff room (not that I would wish them that). The curtain was stitched with wire to the railing. We took photos of someone's hand imprinted on the wall. The walls were dirty. There was a sort of coffee table with a broken leg and the lock was mounted on a feeble door with the lock itself going straight into a hole made into the wall. No soap or shampoo was available (while this could be found on the upper floor). Nothing in this room looked like the photos on Booking.com. In addition, after our stay, the Hostel staff seems to have claimed that we didn't show at the property as booked, creating further hassle.

Second night was in the nicest room of the Hostel, and we highly appreciated being moved into it! We loved the balcony and the classical music we could overhear from across the street coming from, I assume, a conservatory student.

Weird feelings. Was not so bad, but neither so good.

1. Price was pretty high for quality of hostel. I was a little surprised with it. 2. I rent one towel for 2 days and I paid 10 PLN for it. Pretty expensive. 3. I rent all room just for myself but for 2nd night i was asked to change to different room with 1 person already in. Price was adjust, what was good... but.... and that something I really do not like - when staff get into the room without my knowledge. I did not have there any very valuable things, however i am renting room only for myself for some reason. I like my privacy. In case of need to exchange room I am fine, but staff should firstly contact me if they can enter to room. If any of my staff would be missing, then it would be pretty problematic.

Localization is really good. Close to Wawel and river. Staff is nice, even i would say very nice. Room was clean Its good if you look for something basic and close to old city.

Not great

- the check-in wasn't great - when we arrived, we were told that our room isn't prepared yet and we had to wait some time. We were told they sent us an e-mail about it, but we never actually received it - we booked a private double room (at least it said so on the Booking website), but we got a dorm room for six people instead. It was still a private room, but not very comfortable - one evening the wi-fi wasn't working at all. We told the guy working there and he tried to fix it, but wasn't successful - the room was pretty cold, every evening we had to ask them to turn the heating on

- location is pretty good, right between the Wawel castle and Kazimierz (5 minutes walk) - hostel was clean - the staff were nice, everytime we had some request or problem, they tried to solve it. We even got free beer because of the bad check-in experience

Could have been tolerable, but staff made a not that smart move

(a) matresses are very thin and not that confortable for the booking.com prices. The overall service can be definitely OK for a lower tier range of prices while on booking.com discount. But the normal prices of ARS hostel, definitely i recommend other competitors. (b) the pictures shown on the booking websites are out-dated since at least 2016. Darker dimmer colours and low heating temperatures. No TV, no computer. Kitchenette, furnitures and decorations slightly changed. I say kitchenette because there are no stoves, but just a microwave and fridge. (c) safety: there is a night shift available 24h, its good, but the lockers are either brocken or the keys work for several other lockers. (d) disapointing to hear staff already trashtalking about "how stupid" can be tourists, in just less than 5 minutes (ARS already got some bad review, so not very wise to attract future guests distrust with such comments). It followed by the usual Bazar's carpet seller "my friend", doesnt sound arrogant, of course... Later on, the "free" bundles offered to other guests were dried leftovers, (half)shots of vod--- i mean soplica-ish, not even. No chats, just droped in and left as fast as the guy arrived. What about parky.s from biedronka then ;) A lot of this fits the Italian review made 6nov2016 (“Not a positive experience”), and staff replied it was 0% true. So please see on the pictures i provide. (e) the dishonesty of staff and lack of knowledge staff seemed to have freaked out the "ignorant tourist" could See these drawbacks, checked the "ignorant tourist" review profile, and tried to cancel his booking on the check-out morning day. Unfortunately, i asked for the Paragon Fiskalny while that they "forgot" to provide. The first attempt being a written draft with no stamps nor coordinates.

I would have totally +1 a review made on TA by flduo729 (H, Florida) made 10 oct 2016 ("Uncomfortable and crummy, but nice staff") as it had been what i experienced myself: (a) ok location, but old cold building (b) staff can be sweet and can communicate. (c) enough bathrooms and for those who need it, some wifi..........however check the minuses section (d) I would have given something like 6-7/10 for a off season period and wait for how it would be in summer times. What kind of Pole would remember Claude Francois and have been abroad with a certain comics sense of humour these days (unfortunately i havent noticed any hawaian colourful shirt)? However i sensed these folks did not expand their humility and knowledge of worthy travellers and learned from the wrong resorts. (check the other (d) section) (e) room allocation procedures comparable to the bait-and-switch issues mentioned on 5 sept 2017 by 4.5/10. (unfilter by langage, sort by mark). But i would not say there was fraud according to the local Kodeks wykroczeń Art. 134. as the staff were OK at playing Tetris with room allocation: (Booked a quadruple room, ended up in more beds room but still caped at a max amount of 4 guests.) ...cant guarantee how it would be in full season. However, they have a failed conception on how to prioritise which guests goes where. The reviews they get reflects this lack of wisedom. Anyway, thank you for the kindness, but please dont hide and admit, guests can forgive.

Perfect location and clean hostel!

Reception 24/24 isn't clear, sometimes to enter it's necessary ring the bell more times and be patient

Bed comfortable, quiet and great location, very clean

Calming
    • Bed in Room for 6 People

The bed: If you're looking for a princess bed you may need to book a more expensive place; I personally didn't mind. One can get comfy in any situation if there's a will.

- comfortable livingroom - amazing bathroom <3 - cute kitchen - welcoming and helpful staff - easy going - good restaurant around

Solo woman backpacker
    • Bed in Room for 6 People

Nothing. Thanks guys for the super experience.

The owner and staff is excellent. Everybody is smiling, warm and welcoming. The property itself is a charming, beautiful house with wooden flooring. The bathroom is never dirty simply due to some simple hygiene related steps taken by the owners like putting an air freshener, a good floor mat etc. The kitchen allows you to cook Your Own meals, the decor makes you feel that you are living in an ancient house or something. I loved it.

• Reviewed: 6 November 2016

Not a positive experience

Between one thing and another during the check-in, we were told us if we didn't mind that the next day they would have changed the room because of renovating reasons, we found the request a bit strange but we accepted, I do not think we had many choices anyway. We said, what's the problem? we only change room, it is not a drama. The next day we move into the room on the first floor, well ... as soon as we entered we felt the difference in temperature. In this room it was freezing, the blankets were ice cold for give you an example. At first we were speechless, then we started to ask for extra blankets and one of those movable heaters that do not heat that well, among other things, minutes past talking with my friend we said that was not fair their behavior nevertheless we did not want to ruin our vacation thinking too much of the behavior of the staff to us and we went out to enjoy Krakow. Returned later in the hostel we realized that the room where they had to "renovate" was instead occupied by another guy, at that point we went to the reception to ask for explanations, unfortunately the guy did the check-in to us was not there, instead another guy was there we asked him that we absolutely wanted to talk to the manager with upset tones but always in compliance with the limits of respect. Returning to the hostel in the evening a few minutes later we hear knocking at our door, the guy who checked us in was asking us to speak to us. All nervous and upset that we were angry for what happened, he tried some excuses to tell us and offered to refund the second night.

What I found positive is the location and one stuff member that understood our concerns which is the guy who at least offer to refund us the second night. Our experience with ARS Hostel remains negative unfortunately.

The best is location.

They didn’t clean room. The sheets are old.

The best is location. Two minutes and you in hurt of Kraków. Good WiFi. Friendly stuff:)

it is very clean and tidy.
    • Bed in Room for 6 People

bedsheets were not the best

it is very clean and tidy.

• Reviewed: 5 November 2016

Ars Hostel - great place !
    • Bed in Room for 6 People

Super hostel - great location, very friendly and helpful staff. I recommend Ars Hostel 100%.

• Reviewed: 30 September 2016

Best Hostel

This was the best Hostel I've ever been to with the loveliest people working there.

• Reviewed: 14 February 2016

The host was very kind and willing to answer all our...

Minor detail: the matrasses were a bit thin (but still okay to sleep on).

The host was very kind and willing to answer all our questions. It was no problem for him to arrange some glutenfree bread for breakfast. The living space was spatious and very cosy and the bathrooms were very clean. The dorm was cleaned every day. Location was great, just 15 min walk to the city centre.

• Reviewed: 16 January 2016

Great hostel - met my expectation 100%.

Great hostel - met my expectation 100%. Nice and very helpful staff. Best location, everywhere we wanted to go and visit in Cracow was just few minutes from hostel. Clean, cozy and really good price. I would totally come back again to Ars.

• Reviewed: 30 August 2015

Awesome location, just right to see all of the city's...

Beds slightly uncomfortable, no lockers (or I did not see them?), breakfast is very very basic (cereal, coffee, tea, bread, cheese).

Awesome location, just right to see all of the city's sights, but tucked away in a quiet Street. Staff friendly and helpful. Great communal space to meet travelers.

• Reviewed: 30 August 2015

Great location, really cosy and peaceful hostel and very...

Front door v heavy and so a bit on the noisy side through the night but that's to be expected in hostels. Would perhaps try requesting a room at the back next time.

Great location, really cosy and peaceful hostel and very helpful staff. We felt very welcome and would recommend it to anyone. So cheap too!

• Reviewed: 25 July 2015

The location was perfect!

Kitchen had no place to actually cook, door had to be opened by the staff each time because the system was broke. The breakfast was very limited.

The location was perfect!, kazimierz is a nice area and the old toen was nearby as well.

• Reviewed: 13 October 2015

It was a very nice old building in the centre of the old...

It was a very nice old building in the centre of the old city of Cracow and the staff was very friendly.Excellent choise!!!!!

• Reviewed: 10 October 2015

friendly staff

friendly staff

• Reviewed: 8 September 2015

Staff were absolutely amazing and real champions.

Staff were absolutely amazing and real champions.

• Reviewed: 1 September 2015

cheap hostel

rooms are a bit dark, could do with better lighting. for getting ready for a night out communal area had to be used.

cheap hostel

There are also 6 reviews without text. These impact the overall review score.