Reviews of Podewils Old Town Gdansk 5 stars

Szafarnia 2, 80-755 Gdańsk, Poland

#1 of 99 hotels in Gdańsk

9.7

• Double or Twin Room

That we had to leave this magical place.

Where to begin? The entire experience of staying in that hotel was amazing. From check-in to check-out. The staff was extremely friendly and helpful. The room had an amazing view and was very comfortable. The breakfast was delicious. Everything was top notch.

• Deluxe Double with River View

Plug in washbasin didn't work on arrival, but was rectified by staff.

Very prettily decorated room with view over the canal, Maritime museum and the crane. There was an elegant reception area, and staff were very helpful in ordering taxis. The breakfast buffet had a wide choice of dishes - I had different things on each of the three mornings, but didn't try the cooked options. Welcoming chocolate, bottle of water and honey liqueur on arrival. The hotel was ideally situated for the Baltic philharmonic, and only a short and pleasant walk from the main town.

• Deluxe Single Room with River View

Five stars in Poland is NOT the same as a five-star hotel in Paris, London or Berlin. The hotel is good first class but not an internationally luxury hotel. The buffe breakfast was OK but not enough for a five-star hotel.

Small and nice hotel styled and furnished in an old style. The hotel is situated just outside the old town and the very city center is easily reached by a short walk. Kind and helpfull staff.

• Double or Twin Room

We stayed downstairs in a room that was newly decorated and nice, but it is beside the outdoor and night keeper. Would have been better to have more pease and quite.

Cute hotel, but it could use a make over

• Deluxe Double with River View

It is a boutique hotel, beautifully decorated and very comfortable. Everything was perfect, exceeded our expectations! Our room was facing a gorgeous view of the river and an old town! Just like on the top cover of the 'Gdansk in your pocket'. Great location, very friendly and helpful staff, lovely breakfast! We enjoyed our stay a lot

• Grand Deluxe Double with King Size Bed

Maybe it will be nice with caffe or tea ability at room.

Wonderful small oldstyle hotell, like a castle! We had a delicious welcomesdrink at room when we arrived! Breakfast was very good. We had a large room with spa bathtube. Beds was comfortable, cleaning was good. Location is more than best. It was peacefull, quiet stay because hotell is small and very privat.

• Double or Twin Room

Great hotel, I would even say the greatest I've ever been to ! The staff is amazingly so nice kind and helpful, even got a lunch box for our early flight, very clean ,we would be more than happy to return 😊😊😊

• Deluxe Double with River View

There is nothing at all to criticise.

Wonderful, very pretty small hotel just a few minutes walk from the Old Town. The location is perfect. After walking round Gdansk for a few days we didn't see another hotel with even half as much charm or that we would have chosen over it. The staff were so welcoming and very attentive. The room was perfect and full of character - it was hard to leave it to go exploring and we will miss our daily Jacuzzis! If we go back to Gdansk for another short break, this is certainly the only place we would book.

• Double or Twin Room

The bedroom was very cold. Just one radiator which was barely on. Slept in t shirt dressing gown under duvet cover and blanket! Strangely the bathroom was a lot warmer. ( I was told on leaving I could have had a heater but no-one offered one earlier. )

The hotel is very close to the Old Town. The breakfast was excellent. Kept me going all day. I forgot my charger and the staff lent me one.

• Deluxe Double with River View

Would have liked a kettle in the room so you could have a drink through the night or early morning.

Room was excellent, with great views towards the town and was very convenient for everything. Breakfast was superb.

• Deluxe Double with River View

Lots of people have written in their reviews about the excellent breakfast buffet, and I can see how it appeals to people older than 60 years old, as it contained many options of traditional, old style dishes. I found it a little bit off, but luckily there were many options of fruits and vegetables, cheese and meats as well. The little meny with eggs and bacon on the other hand was excellent, and the coffee was superb. Wifi was a bit dysfunctional the first days, but the last two days it was all right. I'm sure we were just unlucky the first days.

Very charming rooms, old style decorated with lots of details. Marble style bathrooms, spacious and clean. Plus for the bath tub, we used that every day of our stay. The bed was big and comfortable enough for two people. The eggs and bacon breakfast option was excellent. Very friendly and service minded staff. The hotel was very quiet, and we rarely saw any other guests.

• Double or Twin Room

Hard to find anything that could be improved. If i had to offer one potential improvement maybe a usb power socket in each room for foreign travellers who havent brought an eu power adaptor with them. Thats just being super critical though. I really couldnt fault Podewils at all. It was excellent.

Excellent customer service. Staff couldnt be more helpful.Personal welcome letter from the management. A complimentary honey liquor on arrival. 5 star rating definitely deserved. Excellent breakfast. A classy, classic building but with pretty much all the modern creature comforts tastefully installed. My wife has family 150 miles from Gdansk. We will definitely stop at Podewils on the way to visit them again. A fantastic place to stay.

• Deluxe Double with River View

Some very small minor niggles were wifi signal was poor at times, I did not like having 2 single quilts on a double bed (personal taste) and was surprised there was no tea/coffe facility in the room but I am sure this could be ordered through room service.

This is a period style hotel in very good decorative order and top quality furnishings. The staff were excellent especially the young lady serving breakfast who remembered our requirements on the 2nd morning. There was a mini bar in the room along with complimentary water and also a decanter with liquer as a welcome gift along with choclates on our pillow. There was a tundown service and a note of the weather forecast for the following day. Our ground floor room was very spacious and bright having 3 windows plus there was a large very well fitted bathroom. Room cleaning was excellent. The breakfast was outstanding was a huge buffett plus a served to order hot plate. This is old world grandure with a warm welcome which is rarely found in modern hotels. The hotel is within walking distance of all city centre attractions whilst located in a quiet part of the port so you will not be annoyed by external noise. Lastly this hotel was excellent value.

Nada

Beauty hotel's aesthetics. Prime location. Friendliness and helpfulness of staff was top drawer. For example, when I asked where to go to Mass, they looked up places and times on their own accord. Great food.

• Double or Twin Room

We arrived quite early to check in. The staff was very accommodating, keeping our luggage, letting us park in the lot before check in, and helping to orientatebisbto the city and providing tips. Breakfast was also fabulous! It is an easy walk to all the attractions and the rooms have a beautiful view of the Gdansk crane and waterways.

• Deluxe Double with River View

Only tiny gripe, no tea coffe making facilities. These would be better than the welcome liquer that I imagine few actually drink

The location, the comfort, the room, the food

• Deluxe Double with River View

The only thing I would say is that the lobby is starting to look a bit tired - a new carpet would help.

We have stayed at the Podewils before so we knew what to expect and were not disappointed. The staff were lovely and always make the stay special. It has one of the best breakfasts I've had anywhere. There are not many hotels where the staff wave you off at the door.

• Deluxe Single Room with River View

It's a wonderful hotel and the staff was very friendly. I arrived in Gdansk after a 3 day camping trip in the wild and I looked the part. Still, nobody looked weirdly at me and treated me in a warm, welcoming and professional manner (which unfortunately cannot be expected at every grand hotel). In your room, they will greet you with some fine mead in a decanter and fresh roses. Also, my dress shirts needed immediate attention and I asked for them to be ironed as soon as possible. 10 minutes later already they were handed to me at my door. Great service. The place is also very quiet and located centrally, yet discretely, in case you appreciate privacy.

I suppose it's a matter of taste: I would have liked a slightly harder mattress.

The building is an absolute beauty with a fasctinating history, and the location is perfect. The staff was super competent and nice, and helpful beyond expectations. The moment we left I wanted to make plans to return to Gdansk, if just to stay at this gem of a hotel again.

• Double or Twin Room

Spacious and elegantly furnished. Staff was friendly, attentive to detail and very helpful. Excellent food. Fresh roses daily in your room. Complimentary chocolate and cordial upon arriving in your room. Would stay here again and highly recommend this place.

• Deluxe Double with River View

Errrr I'm struggling to think of anything!!!

Absolutely everything, this hotel is superb, it has real character and charm. Also the staff are really helpful, nothing is too much trouble. It was built in 1728 and was the first hotel in Gdansk to get a 5 star rating.

Enjoyed everything!

Fabulous breakfast with excellent service....great location! Gdansk is a great city to visit and the Podewils is the place to stay!

• Double or Twin Room

I like walking so it wasn't a problem for me, but considering you are so close to the old town the walk takes a little longer than I thought due to bridge location. Also, even though I didn't use it, the ferry stopping at 6:00 pm might be a problem for some people.

Breakfast was excellent. Service was attentive. Hotel was aesthicaly pleasing.

• Reviewed: 30 April 2017

• Double or Twin Room

We were a little disappointed that the sauna was an additional charge and had to be booked an hour in advance.

A lovely boutique hotel in a fascinating historic building we booked as a treat for ourselves and family. It is in an ideal location, close to the centre but quiet. The rooms are traditionally decorated and very comfortable. The staff were all friendly and extremely helpful.

• Reviewed: 27 April 2017

Can hear some voice from another room

The hotel is full of spirit of heart, enjoy very much during my stay. They will think more the customers expectation with details. Very classic small hotel, not for party young people. Thank you very much the beautiful dark hair receptionist who working night shift during my stay. She help me a lot, I am very appreciated with her kind and professional assist. Another impressive is welcome drink even I don't drink alcohol.

• Reviewed: 21 March 2017

Nothing..

One of the best hotel in Gdańsk! Staffs are so kind to me, as like I was an only one guest there! Nice location, great breakfast.. I definitely would come back again!

• Double or Twin Room

The breakfast was amazing! Freshly made eggs, bacon, sausage etc and a huge buffet of fruit, meats and cheeses. Staff were very helpful and the property was very clean and the rooms cleaned twice a day.

• Reviewed: 30 January 2017

No complaints. Staff are outstanding

Second time in Eight years to th Podewils. Very charming staff who clearly take their job seriously. And for a small hotel don't bump into you. But are always around to help with a smile. Not slick like the modern hotels but a lovely traditional feel.

• Reviewed: 4 January 2017

• Double or Twin Room

The vibes of Podewils are romantic and magic: the historical forniture is like a time jump in the Old Town of Gdansk. If You would live a special experience, Podewils is the right place to meet the suggestive culture of the Baltic.

• Reviewed: 26 December 2016

• Double or Twin Room

The female receptionist for the 24-26th was not very poleight. We also had to ring the bell 4-5 times every time we had to access our car in the parking lot, those days.

Very good service the first two days, very original interior and excellent breakfast. Waiter in restaurant was very professional. Location is fantastic! Would clearly go back.

• Reviewed: 7 December 2016

• Deluxe Double with River View

Great spa bath but the shower over the bath was uncomfortable to use due to the sloping ceiling and confined space. Mattress was too soft for me but that is a matter of personal preference.

Very wide selection including cooked breakfast

• Reviewed: 21 November 2016

Maybe a discreet net curtain in the bathroom window!

The hotel is wonderfully renovated and very comfortable and also small enough to almost give the impression of staying in a lovely private mansion. All of the staff were very welcoming and helpful and all spoke great English. This has been the best hotel of my trip so far. Will definitely return.

• Reviewed: 30 September 2016

• Double or Twin Room

The batheroom was not convenient.T the shower was not adjustable, you had to hold it in hand while asking the shower. No elevator.

Very nice old building, looking over the old city.

• Reviewed: 28 September 2016

• Double or Twin Room

Historic building kept the atmosphere of sunlight elegance, with all the necessary amenities for a wonderfully comfortable stay. Staff outstanding. Breakfast sumptuous. And beautifully quiet with a wide view across the river to the old city.

• Reviewed: 21 September 2016

• Double or Twin Room

As this is a small hotel there is no lift but none was expected. Some road noise from the cobbled street outside the hotel but not excessive. A room at the rear of the hotel would probably be quieter.

The ambience of the hotel. Only 9 rooms so staff gave us their personal attention and they were excellent. The room was comfortable and everything was upto 5 star standard. Ate in the restaurant the food was excellent and good value for money.

• Reviewed: 31 July 2016

• Double or Twin Room

Very nice Hotel with a lots of features in a very convenient location to the Old Town. The room was very spacious and comfortable with a lovely view. We didn't have dinner in the restaurant but the breakfast was excellent.

• Reviewed: 19 July 2016

• Deluxe Double with River View

For a quoted 5 star place would expect a better bed, it felt almost like 2 beds together as it wasn't level throughout.

Location, Breakfast, Decor, Service... all top notch. Loved the Bathroom

• Reviewed: 14 July 2016

• Double or Twin Room

Only issue we had was the lack of bar area/communal space so we did feel slightly isolated with no opportunity to have a drink and chat to other hotel guests

The hotel was lovely with very friendly staff who were happy to answer any questions and provide information on the surrounding area and the breakfast was fabulous

• Reviewed: 3 July 2016

• Deluxe Double with River View

The staff were very friendly and helpful and I can't ever remember having a member of staff at any other hotel I've stayed in stand on the step and wave goodbye as we drove off in our taxi! The room and beds were comfortable and the decor fresh and pleasant. We loved the breakfasts and being able to sit out in the garden and the location by the marina was perfect. It took just a couple of minutes to walk to The Royal Walk and the Gdansk Crane.

• Double or Twin Room

Location, atmosphere, comfortable bed, air conditioning, superb shower. Breakfast was delicious sat outside in the courtyard.

Everything was top class

• Double or Twin Room

flowers in the room welcome drink lovely breakfast

• Deluxe Double with River View

Friendly staff; very good breakfast, safe car spot; very nice location and very cosy. A feeling of homecoming.

• Double or Twin Room

Extra comfortable bed, spacious room, good location, helpful staff

The staff, breakfast

• Double or Twin Room

Very friendly staff, great service, nice little touches to the room on arrival and excellent breakfast.

• Grand Deluxe Double with King Size Bed

Amazing place! Very nice room!

absolutely nothing!

Excellent small boutique hotel. Great breakfest and food in restaurant. Very friendly and helpful staff. Close to old city.

• Deluxe Double with River View

Very nice hotel in the center of the city! Everything was perfect, and the stuff is amazing!

• Deluxe Double with River View

Great location / great little hotel / great breakfast.

• Deluxe Double with River View

Location was perfect and excellent service

Excellent hotel, cosy and great staff!

• Deluxe Double with River View

Excellent breakfast! Very lovely room!

• Double or Twin Room

The hotel doesn't really have a bar, minor criticism though as we thoroughly enjoyed our stay.

Nice old world hotel

• Double or Twin Room

Lovely hotel, wonderful breakfast, brilliant staff.

• Deluxe Single Room with River View

Small charming hotel in a great location close to old town but quiet on the water Quaint place with a and nice breakfast

Bed comfy , breakfast excellent

• Double or Twin Room

Few steps away from the city centre, gorgeous luxury hotel

serve tap water and /or filterer tap water in order to improve their environmental credentials

Location. Staff, breakfast, room - all excellent

• Reviewed: 29 April 2017

friendly and helpful staff

everything was superb

• Reviewed: 28 March 2017

• Double or Twin Room

Friendly staff. Very clean and a hotel full of atmosphere. Very nice!

• Reviewed: 21 March 2017

• Double or Twin Room

The walls could have been thicker.

The feel of the place, the historic character of the building. Breakfast was exceptional.

• Reviewed: 5 March 2017

• Double or Twin Room

Lovely hotel, beds very comfy. In a good location, quiet yet close to everything. Good breakfast and friendly staff. Would definitely recommend.

• Reviewed: 7 December 2016

the wonderful view from room 201 the friendly staff

• Reviewed: 2 December 2016

Nothing to dislike.

Impeccable hotel. Staff were brilliant! The food was great.

• Reviewed: 2 December 2016

• Double or Twin Room

Excellent breakfast. Rooms as pictured and in very good condition.

• Reviewed: 21 November 2016

Consider offering room service

Very good location, professional personnel, comfortable room, everything very clean

• Reviewed: 6 November 2016

• Double or Twin Room

The property was a classic old hotel with beautiful features and very friendly staff!

• Reviewed: 2 November 2016

• Double or Twin Room

A beautiful old building with staff sensitive to the ambiance.

• Reviewed: 22 September 2016

• Grand Deluxe Double with King Size Bed

Trying hard but cannot find anything.

Wonderful staff

• Reviewed: 12 September 2016

• Double or Twin Room

The rooms felt very outdated.

Breakfast was delicious! The location was perfect with great views from our windows.

• Reviewed: 7 September 2016

Nothing everything was great

We looked everything to be perfect Location,the property,the staff,the room,the food breakfast and dinner. We loved it

• Reviewed: 24 August 2016

Perfect location, very good exterior and interior. Good food.

• Reviewed: 7 August 2016

• Double or Twin Room

Everything was in the detail perfect. Amazing stay in a unique place. Hotel with soul.

Browse Podewils Old Town Gdansk traveller photo gallery