Reviews of The Secret Garden Hostel

Skawińska 7, Old Town, 31-066 Kraków, Poland

#37 of 269 hotels in Kraków

Based on 1085 hostel reviews

• Standard Twin Room

Behaviour of one staff member -the girl working in reception whole saturday with zero service attitude: didn't greet us or even answered when we greeted her (several times during the day when passed her), insead she looked angry and pissed off all day.... This was very surprising as every other staff member was so friendly during our stay and also before arrival (via e-mail).

Good breakfast, lovely garden, location. Very clean and big room. Friendly staff with excellent service (exept one receptionist).

• Standard Twin Room

I and my friend really enjoyed time we spent here. Kind helpful personnel, good accommodation, clean big room, little pleasant things which make your rest more comfort (like coffee/tea, free towels, fast wifi, keeping your luggage) and what is important it is soundproofing, you really don't hear your neighbors at all. Breakfasts were very good too. Thank you!

• Apartment

Very nice apartment in the great place of Kazimierz. Nicely decorated. I enjoyed special climate of the old building. Close to the Old Town. Friendly staff. I will be back :)

• Two-Bedroom Apartment

We are highly satisfied with The Secret Garden Hostel. We had a very nice stay there for an inexpensive price. The apartement was brilliantly equipped, quiet, spacious with lovely furnishings, felt like home. All thanks to the very kind and helpful reception staff, they helped us a lot. They let us to leave there our backpacks before and after checking in. Unfortunately we were in need of medical care, they helped us to find a doctor, to get an appointment and a taxi. The Secret Garden Hostel is highly recommended!

• Triple Room with Shared Bathroom

Our room had a slightly musky odor at first but with the window cracked open it would quickly dissipate.

Very clean rooms, newly furnished, appeared very recently remodeled with a great location and pleasant staff. Nice outdoor terrace up front. Excellent value for the money.

• Two-Bedroom Apartment

Central heating could do with having temperature control accessible to guests. Could be a little chilly at night. Not really enough hot water for 4 guests to shower. Microwave oven would be appreciated by UK guests at least.

• Double Room with Shared Bathroom

The mattresses on the beds were thin and worn so you sagged into the middle of the bed and the sheets were 100% polyester so you'd sweat (even if you weren't actually that warm)! All in all, not very comfortable for sleeping. Wish we had paid a bit extra for somewhere else as we booked 3 nights.

The shared bathrooms were very clean except one shower leaked and it would've helped to have had a shower mat on the bathroom floor so the floor didn't get so wet after people showered.

I have nothing to complain about

The hostel is in the Kazimierz quarter, near the banks of Vistula river. We got an apartment which is not in the hostel building but in flat house just around the corner. The hostel and the apartment are about 200 m of tram stop. The apartment was super clean, with new bathroom and well equipped kitchen. Bed was very comfortable and the apartment was very quiet. Breakfast was good value for money, with choice from variety of cheese, salami, ham, yoghurt cereals and hot drinks and juice. There was also vegetable and apples. The wifi was fast and reliable.

Although we weren't expecting luxury (as its a hostel, even though its private rooms) the bed was quite uncomfortable - and creaky, you would wake up from the noise just from turning in bed. Also the sound travels and you can hear people talking in reception from the top floor loft room (the door is not soundproof) but both issues wouldn't take away from the value and location.

Great location within the trendy Kazimierz district - lots of great restaurants and bars nearby and about a 25 minute walk in to the old town. Great value for money and good 24hour reception, can also book a good value airport transfer through them.

The only downside was the wifi - which was rubbish in the area of the hostel I stayed in.

Well furnished, very tastefully decorated and spotlessly clean! My room was huge and had a lovely balcony with view over gardens and a bathroom all to myself. Good location - take a moment to figure out the trams (very cheap) and you can be in the old town in about 10 mins - but spend some time exploring the Jewish quarter on your doorstep. Breakfast is cheap and cheerful and perfectly adequate. In short, this is probably one of the best 'hostels' I have ever stayed in - more like a hotel or posh apartment. As Arnie, says 'I'll be back!'.

I absolutely loved staying here! Everything was just perfect, the room, general cleanliness, friendly staff, location... I will definitely stay here again once I am back in Krakow.

The double bed was quite small for two people, and the room was spacious enough to accommodate a larger bed.

Staff were very helpful, and the location is excellent, right adjacent to the up and coming Jewish district. The tram stop is very close, so reaching other parts of the city is very convenient.

• Studio Apartment

We stayed in the studio apt. It was modern, spotless with everything we needed and a 2 minute walk from the main reception. The staff were polite and informative and spoke perfect English. They arranged our airport transfers and trips for us and responded to our emails very quickly. The next time we visit Krakow we will stay at Secret garden without doubt.

• Double Room with Shared Bathroom

Beds were a little uncomfortable - slat beds with a bit of a sink in-between, so I felt like I was falling through the bed. Also can hear every little sound from other rooms.

Very clean, modern facilities and friendly staff

The shower room is extremely small, and it took forever to drain water. It feels awful while showering with water flow on the floor.

The location is nice, close to tram station. The room is big and comfortable.

• Double Room with Shared Bathroom

Perfection still does exist. From welcome at reception (a very very friendly young man) to cleanliness of the room (Vanilla Sky in my case) to the superbly maintained bathrooms (three of them reserved to only four rooms on ground floor, and shower being properly hot) to excellently equipped kitchen, I was only very pleased with my stay here. And, above all: the quiet behaviour of guests is of a great concern here. At 95 PLN (22 EUR) per night this was a delight. Highly recommended.

• Double Room with Shared Bathroom

Walls are quite thin, especially next to the bathroom so it was a bit noisy but not too bad. Breakfast wasn't good value for vegetarians.

Clean, high standard facilities

• Standard Studio

Perfect place to stay in Krakow, I will definitely come again! The staff is extremely helpful and the studio apartment is really comfortable and clean.

• Double Room with Shared Bathroom

It seemed that because it was a hostel people were a bit noisier than in a hotel. A few times there were people standing out in the hallways chatting. The sound carries. So if you like real quiet then a hotel might be better.

The place is beautifully decorated and a lot of care has been put into how it looks. High ceilings, lots of light and clean, spacious rooms. It's in a great spot - very close to trams and the river!

No complaints at all except maybe no mirror except in bathroom. We had lift appt x

Everything really. Staff, location and the facilities. Very clean as well.

• Studio Apartment

3 nights in apartment down the road - apartment lovely and well equipped - no sign of a cleaner or fresh towels during our stay- Breakfast isn't worth 15pln - go somewhere else or even the bakery at end of street. Cereal was stale, coffee nasty and one soft eating apple and a cooking apple on display !

Location was good - trams stop at end of road however we walked everywhere. Reception staff were polite, well informed and efficient. bottle of wine in apartment on arrival as it was our wedding anniversary- nice touch

Everything was good, but I think that some night noises, like water running for example and the mattress could be better.

The location was very good, in the Jewish quarter.

No such thing.

This is not my first stay there - I go back to this hostel many times every year and since this is my favourite place to stay in Krakow, what makes me smile all the time is that I always get what I expect - after so many years of returning the quality remains unchanged. I know myself enough that once I am being dissapointed - no second chances for the source of my feeling.

Excellent location very close to Jewish Quarter (5 mins walk) and Old Town (15 mns walk to market square). Close to bars, restaurants, the river and areas of historic interest. Clean, comfortable, friendly and helpful staff.

Nice and good hostel. We stayed in a room with private bathroom. The hostel is located in a good part of Krakow surrounded with interesting shops, cafe, and bars. It is possible to park car near the hostel. The staff was very polite and gave us all necessary information. We came with a dog, so it was not problem. We will stay here when will come to Krakow nex time

Nice and clean room, very friendly and helpfull staf! The location was great. Just a short 10min walk towards the city centre. And I loved the shower!!

• Double Room with Shared Bathroom

My room was facing the front on the ground floor. Could hear a lot of noise from outside.

The staff here are amazing. Made worth staying here on that alone. Very nice and clean also and right around the corner from the fabulous Jewish quarter.

The double bed in my room was quite hard and to be honest a little uncomfortable.

Very clean. Quirky decor. My room had an additional mezzanine floor and 2 single beds up there. It was like a tiny apartment. Shower was very good and powerful. Breakfast was simple but always topped up. I felt the staff were always in top of things. The location was perfect as close to the Jewish quarter but also easy stroll to main square. Well done Secret Garden.

• Double Room with Shared Bathroom

This hostel was extremely clean and roomy. All of the staff were friendly and helpful with booking the Auschwitz tour. The morning I checked out, they let me leave my bags in the room all day and then let me have a shower when I came to pick them up at 8.00pm.

The hostel is located in the Jewish quarter which is a the hip place to spend a Friday or Saturday night. Great bars, restaurants. Very cool atmosphere.

• Double Room with Shared Bathroom

we had a great stay. not problems, suggestions - very slippery floors in some of the bathrooms.

great location for jewish area. clean building and rooms. really helpful staff who helped so much when we made a mistake booking a tour and the wonderful staff fixed it all for us!! simple buffet breakfast is good value and flexible time. wifi worked well. cot provided for baby.

A variety of fresh fruit and cereal at breakfast would've been great. The hostel title puts you off, but it's a very modern hotel with rooms without en suite if that's what you prefer.

Very friendly welcome, great room .... and price. Would definitely return!

• Double Room with Shared Bathroom

It was a little further from the Main Square than I thought it would be and there were no lockers in the room.

Room was cozy, staff were friendly, and everything was clean.

• Double Room with Shared Bathroom

Unfortunately when we were staying the temperature was in the 30s and the room was unbearably hot. They kindly provided us with a fan however we still struggled to sleep. Which is a shame and sadly the only downfall of the hostel.

Good location. Really helpful staff. Spotless throughout . Shared bathroom was immaculate and shower brilliant. Nice kitchen area with fridge etc. Feels safe and secure.

Bed very squeaky so we move mattress onto floor on nights 2&3

Hostel arranged a taxi shutter and also booked our trips for auschwitz and the saltmines. All done through email prior to arrival. Lovely room - the loft. 15-20min walk to main square. Lots of little cafes and shops in area around hostel.

• Double Room with Shared Bathroom

I like a beautiful building with romantic garden. We could make a breakfast on our own and eat how many hours we want. Typically American way to eat. A very nice stylish rooms. Friendly staff with useful information on the reception desk.

• Double Room with Shared Bathroom

Nothing really.... at a push I'd say the mattresses could be just a little bit thicker but I still managed 7 good night's sleep so they're not that bad!

The decoration of the hostel, kitchen facilities, good showers, nice little terrace and welcoming staff.

• Double Room with Shared Bathroom

Howcome the hostel doesn't provide shower gel? Everybody knows people will take the one used for hands. Change this, please.

Good breakfast Staff helpful Secure access to facilities Good location (you're 1 km away from Old Town) Very confort room with all we need Excellent levels of cleanliness everywhere (rooms, toilets, entrance) Large and very clean bathrooms Although bathrooms are shared there is a proportion of 2 rooms per bathroom and everything is always clean. Hostel provides towel Quiet neighborhood.

• Double Room with Shared Bathroom

The only little problem I had was with the bed, it was a bit too hard and squeaky but I guess some people won't mind that.

This was my first time staying in a hostel and I couldn't be happier with choosing this one. The room was in overall very comfy, clean (as well as the shared bathrooms) and quiet. The staff was super helpful and friendly which was great (thank you for that!), they'll listen to any of your requests and are willing to help with anything (info about transport, sightseeing etc.). The tram stop is 3min walk from hostel and there are plenty of nice places to visit in the area. I'll certainly come back next time I'm in Krakow!

The windows need better blinds, the rooms got VERY bright early in the morning and we were unable to fall asleep again.

Good location, 15-20min walk from old town, small convenience stores nearby, good price for good value, nice and CLEAN!

• Double Room with Shared Bathroom

Our room was #14 - next to the bathroom and right about the outside garden area where everyone seemed to loudly gather after 10pm. I think had we been in a quieter room (and our own bath), the experience would have been much better. We asked if we could be moved, but there was nothing available. Slept with the window shut due to noise, which was very warm. I suppose we were the oldest people staying there (in our 30s) so perhaps we were the old fuddy duddys. If you plan on being out late (even during the week), it may be a non-issue. The toilet seemed to always have a funky smell... Like poop and toothpaste- but was very clean!

First glance was very clean and cute. Well thought out with shelves for stuff in the shared toilet, a separate toilet and shower stall, etc. very nice and helpful front staff. They pre-booked us on an Auschwitz tour, which was great. Paid 150 zt (but saw it advertised around the city for 99 zt? Might be worth checking for cheaper?) Good location near the Jewish Quarter. 20-30 minute walk to the main square in old town. Small conscience shops and a bakery just around the corner.

• Double Room with Shared Bathroom

The noise at the front side of the hotel! I did not sleep the first two nights. After that I got a place at the back. There is a stone garden in front, where some people speak loudly until 03.00 and the first people leaving from 04.00. The sound is echoing, everything is hard stone, so no demping of the noise. When it is 31C it is awfully hot in the room, so the room has to be open. The beds has no real mattrasses, but just a thin white nylon layer. The more expensive rooms have 2 of those layers (one night I was upgraded). When you sit in the middle the sides of the mattresses go up. The bedbottom is made of some wooden 'sticks' (dont know the name sorry). They are place too far out of each other, so your bump goes down between 2...and you get up with a soaring back. I had back pain until 15.00. Everything looks nice, now the only thing to change for the management is buying new real mattrasses.

First morning the breakfast was great. Maybe for some the only thing missing is eggs. But very good dark bread. Last morning only types of white bread at 08.45. There is salad too, yoghurt, milk, cereal, very good types of tea to choose from.

No cleaning service, also no fans/ air conditioning so if it's hot it will be uncomfortable because the windows don't open fully

Very cosy and clean, close to the Jewish quarter

Not a problem for me, because I didn't want to watch a TV, but there only a few TV-channels exists, and half of them not working.

Good location, close to the old town. Nice interior, clean room.

• Triple Room with Shared Bathroom

beds were uncomfortable (sagged in the middle)

good priced hostel in Jewish quarter, you can reach city center in 15min by foot, friendly and helpful staff

• Reviewed: 15 June 2017

What was not to like?

I requested and received a very quiet room. Bed was comfy, room was sparkling clean. Staff is extremely friendly and welcoming. Location is superb - half a block from tram line, a short walk to main square in Jewish quarter and 1.5K from Old Town main square. Coffee and tea are available 24 hours, as also use of fridge. Shared bathroom was modern and also spotless, with plenty of hot water. A delightful place to stay, equivalent to ** or *** hotel quality at a fraction of the cost.

• Reviewed: 4 June 2017

Room equipment was very simple: it consisted of only 2 single beds (even though I had asked a double bed) and an old and useless TV set without English channels. There was no table, no chairs, no refrigirator, no aircon, no fan. Wi-Fi was poor. A large group of youngsters was also staying at the hotel. They were shouting, running, sitting on staircases, littering everywhere. Cafeteria was very crouded and noisy during breakfast time. Breakfast itself was poor quality-wise, but adequate calory-wise because of type "buffet". Staff were very young and inexperienced. During my 4 days' stay, room was not cleaned even once. Location is not noisy or dangerous, but it is too far (2 km) from Old City centre and main tourist attractions.

Safety deposit box at reception. Price.

• Standard Studio

That we couldn't find anything to dislike!

Awesome apartment! Great value for money! We found everything except one thing=) shoe spoon, everything else was great! You will get everything that you need while traveling, iron, coffee, towels, ironing board.

• Double Room with Shared Bathroom

I use this hostel very often. They have good fresh breakfast, very comfortable beds. It's clean everywhere. Fast WiFi. Close to the downtown and public transport. Very nice and helpfull people. :-)

• Reviewed: 28 April 2017

• Two-Bedroom Apartment

lousy weather it rained all the time but it seems we were unlucky

Stayed in the apartment adjacent to the hostal. It was excellent The receptionist Anna was a real sweetie and the continental breakfast was good too The location is great for the Jewish quarter and the old town is a short tram ride or pleasant 20 minute walk away

• Apartment

How convenient the situation was. At a short walk distance from city center and in a lively area. Very easy to find a parking place on the street. Cosy and comfortable appartment.

• Reviewed: 14 April 2017

• Standard Studio

The room smell was so strong that I started to show some allergic reactions (started coughing). The TV is too small and does not have any channels in English.

The studio itself is clean, and there are enough kitchen equipments to make breakfast. Located very close to a tram station, and it is also possible to walk to the Old Town. Many small shops, bakeries and restraunts around the hostel.

• Reviewed: 25 March 2017

• Double Room with Shared Bathroom

Of all the accomodations I know is this number 1.The staff: Friendly,helpful,competent. The rooms : Endearing with a female touch The beds : Give you nice dreams The breakfast :Abundant The neighbourhood : Has got everything .what a tourist might need I am looking forward to visiting The Secret Garden next. Peter Ulrichsen DK

• Reviewed: 19 March 2017

Soundproofing could be better-I could hear my neighbors. Though it didn't bother me too much after a busy day

Good value for money. Basic but very clean room (I was staying in a private bathroom room), nice staff and easy to get location makes it a really good option for a weekend stay.

• Reviewed: 16 March 2017

• Two-Bedroom Apartment

Windows in the bathroom are not sealed properly and heating cannot be adjusted - may be a bit cold in early spring/late autumn when central heating turned low

Very nice well equipped apartment near Plac Nowy, quiet but walking distance from everywhere. Staff at the hostel reception is really helpful

This is the first time I had problem with comfort. Obviously mattress needs to be changed in basilica room.

It was my fourth stay and staff is still friendly and helpful.

• Reviewed: 11 March 2017

It was hard to find fault with this hostel... But perhaps the beds could be a bit more comfortable ... Very low down and small.

This hostel is lovely, very clean , good facilities and good location to the city. Tram is just around the corner. Friendly and helpful staff. Rooms are nicely decorated and have everything you would need..

• Reviewed: 5 March 2017

• Double Room with Shared Bathroom

But the prices per rooms on the Booking site are slightly higher than stated in the hostel actually

This is a normal hostel for its cost. Clean! Nice aria.

• Reviewed: 23 January 2017

Wish they had a better coffee Prices are a bit high

Very clean and cozy hostel, nice and helpful staff, free tourist maps. The hostel has thematic rooms, nice painted walls, a special room with tv, books and games, free coffee and tea 24h/24. Good breakfast. Our room was called Sapphire Lobelia (Flowers wing) and it was lovely! It was bigger than we expected, tidy and modern. We would stay there again!

Prices are a bit high, for that money you can find hotel ***, poor buffet breakfast. Some rooms don't have bathrooms.

Clean place, nice staff, good wifi, comfortable in common.

Each room is personalized after a flower type or family, very nice. You can tell that they enjoyed designing it. The room was clean and had good basic facilities for a hostel. Would definitely recommend it for a short stay.

• Reviewed: 31 December 2016

Excellent value for money. Very pleasant and efficient staff, cheerful bright decor, clean and well finished bathrooms, comfortable beds, nice kitchen and dining area. All good😁😁😁

• Reviewed: 26 December 2016

• Double Room with Shared Bathroom

I was in The Name of the Rose, and there was a distinct cold air currrent from the window. I couldn't sit next to it, and for the night, I stacked the extra pillows on the windowsill for some insulation...

Everything, really. The hostel keeps up the good quality and I'm definitely going to stay there again in the future.

• Reviewed: 25 December 2016

• Double Room with Shared Bathroom

Too many people are following my advice and go there - then I have a problem to get a room there....;)

This is my third stay this year there. It became my favourite option - I go to Krakow on regular basis (at least once a month) - sometimes I can get a room at The Secret Garden, that always make me smile.

• Reviewed: 20 December 2016

• Double Room with Shared Bathroom

Best hostel ever! I had separate room without bath, but I felt myself as I am in 5 star hotel, very comfortable, well designed, cozy and clean hostel. Good & cheap breakfast, nice kitchen with all things you may need, tea & coffee available any time. But best thing about the hostel is the staff, very responsive & helpful guys, many thanks to them!

• Reviewed: 15 December 2016

• Double Room with Shared Bathroom

Toilets and shower on corridor.

Nice accomodation according to price. Clean hostel with good services responding to relatively low price. Tematic rooms, we were on film's corridor in room named "clockwork orange".

• Reviewed: 25 November 2016

• Double Room with Shared Bathroom

- since the super high quality of the place I might have expected more from breakfast, but I can't complain, it was ok and there was a certain variety.

+ very nice and cosy room. It felt like it has been decorated with love. Mine was called the name of the rose and there were references to roses in it... so very cute. + super clean, new and perfectly functioning shower and toilets +quiet +functioning wifi also in the room

• Reviewed: 4 November 2016

Nothing of any concern !

Very well located, clean and had everything I needed for my short stay - Staff were very friendly extremely helpful... I would stay there again anytime!

• Reviewed: 4 November 2016

Are you kidding me???

This is a 'hidden gem' in Krakow. I do come back whenever I can. I'm already booked for December (third time this year).

• Reviewed: 29 October 2016

• Studio Apartment

Need a little upkeep, the bed was two single beds joined and an old used piece of cushion was used to fill the gap that the wood made

Location, cleanliness, friendly staff, available facilities

• Reviewed: 14 October 2016

The windows looked out on the roadway and a hospital. It was awfully noisy at night, because of cars of Ambulance, its voice and constant creaking of opening and closing the gate.

We were at the Poppies' room. It was clean and tidy. I enjoyed the library in the hostel. There were a lot of books in different languages.

• Reviewed: 7 October 2016

The road the hotel is on is very noisy even at 3am. The toilet in our room had a broken flush, The lamp on one side was broken and the plug socket hanging from the wall revealing all the wires. The breakfast was very poor. The room smelt of tobacco and was being covered up badly with a plug in. The lamp shade was full of dead flies and the shower was tiny, you were unable to turn around without turning the handle off and i'm slender. would not recommend the hostel, But the experience of Krakow and surrounding areas made up for this.

The staff were very helpful and friendly and everywhere was decorated well and mainly clean.

• Reviewed: 7 October 2016

Breakfast is far too basic and could do with some hot selections and eggs. The beds are noisy and not really suitable for adults. The shower seemed to be blocked. The hostel has no lift so if climbing stairs is a problem ask for a room on a lower floor.

This hostel is located next to Kazimierz and the Jewish Quarter so many of the sights are within easy walking distance. The staff were efficient and helpful. The hostel is clean.

• Reviewed: 2 October 2016

• Double Room with Shared Bathroom

Perfect conditions. Lovely place, we felt like home. That free coffee in the afternoon after visiting the concentration camp... Priceless. Thank you!with all the guests, the place was realy quite at night! Amazing breakfast!

• Reviewed: 29 September 2016

• Studio

We had our own studio right opposite the hostel. It was clean and modern. The staff behind the front desk were so nice and helpful with every question and request we had. Location is perfect- lots of trendy pubs and restaurants around. The price Is also very good for what you get.

Browse The Secret Garden Hostel traveller photo gallery