Reviews of Hotel Milano 3 stars

Fortaleza 307, Old San Juan, 00901 San Juan, Puerto Rico

• Superior Queen Room

The place smells badly. The rooms are moldy and old with no style and you can’t control the ac for temp. It’s either super cold and super hot. The bed is horrible and staff looks like they are there serving time not working on the service industry.

• Standard Queen Room

Unfriendly reseption staff who did not greet you Rooms are small and windows even smaller high up on the walls gave me a claustro feeling almost

Centrally located close to port and restaurants

• Junior Room One Full Bed

They charge $1.00/bottle of water, which I don't find amusing. In addition, I asked for more towels but I did not received an answer. Maybe because the person did not listen to that part.

The room I chose was pretty comfortable for the price. Staff was very attentive and helpfull, pretty quick, and talkative.

This isn't in any way a fancy hotel; you get what you pay for. We have stayed here twice now just for 1 night when going on a cruise ship the day after and for that purpose this hotel is excellent. The location is superb and all of Old San Juan is within walking distance.

I did not like anything. For 131 a night it wasn’t worth it. It had no amenities! No view to look out from. The first shift staff me ever was rude and inconsiderate. The rooms at a motel 8 look better than this hotel. Sadly, we couldn’t cancel or else we would have lost out on money. The location was ok, it was extremely hard to find parking and it’s in a place where there is a lot of traffic. Only good thing was that it was right next to many souvenir shops. But the hotel was not worth the money. We should have booked the Hyatt or another hotel for almost the same price. This was just ridiculous, it was clean but I still felt dirty sleeping in there.

The shower was the only thing good and that it was next to many souvenir shops.

• Standard Queen Room

Creepy old elevator, broken tv, small beds and room, outdated. 2 Electrical outlets coming off the wall. We knew about it being outdated from some research but the maintenance issues were frustrating with the $150 per night price tag.

The highlight was the rooftop restaurant and bar. That saved our stay. The place has some maintenance issues but we put up with it for a night as the location was great.

• Superior Queen Room

Day time front desk guy the last 2 days there, April 19 and 20, did not seem like he was happy in his job.

Location is excellent and uber readily available.

• Junior Room One Full Bed

For some reason this hotel takes copies of your credit card,and ID to keep on file. I told them give those copies back to me. Which they did.

Great Restaurants were within walking distance. Police officers were in patrol all over the place.

The gentleman at the front desk was not at all welcoming. The old elevator and AC need serious repair

Excellent location, in the heart of old San Juan.

• Superior Two Beds

The room needed wash cloths. The air conditioning only had two options - on or off. It was either hot or cold. There was two rooms we rented. Both rooms requested wake-up calls and neither room received either.

• Standard Queen Room

No breakfast. Fridge extremely noisy which made sleep difficult.

Good location to stay to discover old San Juan. Not too far from Pan America pier and were happy to arrange a taxi for us to reach the cruise

• Junior Room One Full Bed

Only stayed one night but no complaints

Great location in Old San Juan, walking distance to everything. The restaurant on the roof and their terrace was fantastic! Bed and pillows were comfortable

• Superior Two Beds

the upkeep of the bathroom...it was not clean...everything was old and damaged. the building is old and run down. They charged almost double for a second bed...It was not worth the cost.

the sheets were clean.

The staffs are very rude and don’t want to help us.My bf and I waited a long time for the staff to check in.We are from other country ,and our phones are not in service.I asked the staffs for help us book bio bay tour, both of two staffs said they won’t help us.We are unhappy and has bad impression of Puerto Rico,because this was our first night in here!

The location is good.

• Junior Room One Full Bed

Facilities a little dated. Air conditioner in the room is noisy. But the rate is a "bargain" for private hotel room in old San Juan

Location . Rooftop Restaurant at reasonable prices

• Junior Room One Full Bed

Rooms were not as clean as I would expect for the price. Would not stay there again. Very limited choice of places to stay as most were closed because of Hurricane Maria. .

Room was close to everything in old san juan.

• Superior Two Beds

The staff were always friendly and helpful. Rooms were clean and bed comfortable. The location in Old San Juan was excellent. Hotel Milano was just a short walk to restaurants and scenic locations. The roof top restaurant had excellent service and the food was great. Very enjoyable stay.

• Junior Room One Full Bed

Internet worked well in room only for first few hours after that stop working in room.

In the city centre,very good location...you can reach everywhere by walking....Staff very nice,friendly and helpful...

• Superior Two Beds

We were in the midst of renovations so there was some dust. The results are however worth the inconvenience for future guests. It's a pity we did not get to enjoy the upgrade. No Internet in our room only public areas. Elevator needs an upgrade, using it is very scary! No help taking bags to room.

Friendly maid, great location, fair size room

• Superior Two Beds

The location of this hotel is it’s number one attribute. Step outside of the lobby and you’re on the cobble stone streets of Old San Juan, within walking distance to resturaunts, shopping, the water front and the fort. The hotel staff was very courteous and helpful. We enjoyed the rooftop resturaunt that had well presented authentic dishes. along with economical cocktail specials. As far as the hotel it’self, my expectations were not that high because of the struggle Puerto Rico was going through recovering from the hurricane. Indeed the hotel is old and in need of attention. The room was smallish and needs to be updated. All in all I found the hotel charming and suitable enough for a one or two night stay. Look past the decor and enjoy Old San Juan.

• Superior Two Beds

This place was a pleasure to stay at. They take your bags right to your room old school. The staff was very friendly. The restaurant at the very top of the hotel has great food. The rice and beans was awesome. There is so much to do and see in the city. I would stay here again in a heartbeat.

• Reviewed: 8 June 2017

• Junior Room One Full Bed

Some rooms like 403 the A/C needs to be upgrade or start a new one. The A/C works fine and cool air but wasn't enough for the room. The fornt desk service change us to 308 that room what's great

It was my first and great experience. Went with my wife and the attention space and eviroment were excelent

• Reviewed: 13 May 2017

• Standard Queen Room

They were not accommodating with the genius offers Booking.com said we were entitled to.

Walking distance to many historical sites in old San Juan. The hotel was clean. The employees were all helpful.

The window in bathroom did not close. It was a very tight room. Views were of other buildings a warehouses. Rooftop restaurant had stale continental breakfast available.

Heart of Old San Juan. Walking distance to Cruise Port. Great nearby restaurants. Lots of latin flavor with street parties.

• Reviewed: 26 April 2017

• Superior Queen Room

On arrival the person at the desk was not very happy to see us and appeared annoyed that we were in the lobby . The mattress was very uncomfortable with a valley in the middle. The rug did not appear to have been cleaned in a long time. The air conditioner did not work very well. Not what I would expect for what we paid.

• Standard Queen Room

I have no idea how this site gives this place a 4 star rating. I'd give it a 1 and only so you don't think i forgot to rate it. The room smelled horribly, so bad that I woke up in the middle of the night and had to consciously breathe through my mouth so I could fall back to sleep. The floor was gross and stained... bad enough that my girlfriend and I wouldn't walk on the floor in bare feet. The bathroom was worse than the room.. we chose to shower on the cruise ship instead. The walls were peeling, the dropped ceiling was stained and rusted, there was one window looking at a wall. It is not a cheap hotel, there are other options for the same price, DEFINITELY go for those other options. Steer clear of this falsely-advertised slum. And for the record, this is my first negative review of a hotel... my girlfriend and I travel and are far from elitists who expect perfection.

Bed was clean (that's all), location was perfect and the bus staff was very friendly and helpful.

• Standard Queen Room

Room was dark (small high window facing a dingy alley wall), small and old. Ok, it is a heritage building, likely over 100 years old and rooms were much simpler then.

It was clean but for the price I expected it to be somewhat better. Location was great.

• Reviewed: 24 February 2017

• Junior Room One Full Bed

Wifi only in lobby, windows high in wall, no breakfast..only choices Starbucks and Burger King.

Location great, parking nearby..mmeblocks but had to pay extra.

• Reviewed: 23 February 2017

• Superior Queen Room

Elevator was out the entire stay, but the staff handled all the luggage. The conditioning in our room barely kept the room comfortable while our friends room had good air.

The location was great for visiting old town San Juan. Free trolley bus stop that goes around old San Juan was just a block away. The rooms were quiet.

• Reviewed: 22 February 2017

• Junior Room One Full Bed

The room was dated and musty. No comfortable chair. We needed an extra rollaway bed and none was not available.

The location and the rooftop restaraunt.

• Reviewed: 16 February 2017

• Junior Room One Full Bed

The staff was friendly, and upgraded me to a better room without me having to ask! I was traveling alone, and budget-minded, as this was a quick stay over to see Old San Juan before flying home. The room was cozy, clean and had a very efficient air conditioner. I didn't have a chance to look at the fancier rooms, so can't speak to those. The restaurant on top of the hotel is great! Nice view, good happy hour (2 for one Mojitos!) I also ate a wonderful "last lunch in San Juan" there...a great mahi-mahi dish. The hotel is smack dab in the middle of Old San Juan, and easy walk to the old San Cristobel fort and many other sites.

• Reviewed: 9 February 2017

• Standard Queen Room

promised and even given a coupon for breakfast then told the next morning they don't do breakfast anymore!!!! What...... why would someone do that then say they don't do breakfast anymore. Talk about fraud. it even says complimentary breakfast on the website. When I inquired they stated they want to keep it there to attract people. very misleading and wrong. not polite at all. Wont stay there again no matter what the location.

Musty stairwell.

Location, location, location! Nice check-in staff. (Look out for the pushy bellman, though. He'd trample his grandmother to get to your suitcase.)

• Reviewed: 1 January 2017

• Standard Queen Room

The room was small, no view from the room. The chain for door was broken. The hotel has just the basics, nothing extra.

The location was ideal for walking around Old San Juan. It was great to come right off the street into your hotel. The hotel and room were clean, staff was helpful and friendly.

• Reviewed: 30 December 2016

• Junior Room One Full Bed

Little bit cleaner. Would love a microwave.

I definitely loved the area for the price. There were not many boutique hotels around and I felt lucky to stay in this place. I liked having a fridge.

• Reviewed: 29 December 2016

• Standard Queen Room

The computer in the lobby can be used to print out boarding passes, but it is REALLY slow. The wi-fi is intermittent, depends on where you sit in the room --literally! We really could have used a simple breakfast to get us on our way; many tours leave early-ish. The hotel offers some basic breakfast on the weekends at $5/person, but apparently nothing during the week. Some simple breads, cheese, and coffee/tea would have been VERY helpful. I wound up going either to Starbucks for breakfast (speedy, dependable, boring--like McDonalds) or to Cafe Manolin (has atmosphere, is a couple of blocks away, and don't go there if you are in a big hurry).

We first thought about renting a car, but that would be nuts in Viejo San Juan. We went to and from the airport by taxi, and otherwise, we went on tours. The location of the hotel is excellent; the city is very walkable and often our tours met us at the Plaza Colon, which is basically next door. Cleaning of the rooms was fine, no problems. The maid was friendly, practiced my Spanish.

• Reviewed: 20 December 2016

• Junior Room One Full Bed

the room was small... a/c noisy

location perfect the breakfast not worth the money ,go out the door turn right and turn right at the next street ...then turn right again at the next street .. very busy but good the hotel resteraunt excellent

• Reviewed: 18 December 2016

• Superior Two Beds

The room had a slight musty smell. The $6.00 breakfast was a little overpriced. The waitresses were not cordial in the restaurant/bar when we went for drinks in the evening. I told the day person the next day.

The location was wonderful..walking around Old San Juan. The person that carried our bags to our room was very friendly and helpful when we checked in and out...a great first impression.

• Reviewed: 9 December 2016

• Junior Room One Full Bed

Had traveled to more than 10 countries. This was the worst hotel experience I have ever had. The price 110$ including tax was not worth. The room was really small. I could have managed with the size of the room if other things had been better. Towels provided were not clean, bed doesn't look like it had been cleaned. We got locked out at 10 pm, as there was some problem with the key. We had to wait for 1 hour in the reception to get that rectified. No compensation has been provided for that. Over all experience was not good. I would not recommend this place.

• Reviewed: 2 December 2016

• Junior Room One Full Bed

- There were no windows in the room. - The air conditioner was either off or in "jet" mode. Not to mention that we had to get the remote from the reception... - The bed was not even "soft", it was EXTREMELY soft. - The hair dryer is old, loud, and ineffective.

- The staff were friendly and allowed us to store our luggage before/after our stay. - The location is great, as everything in Old Town is very close together.

• Reviewed: 30 November 2016

• Junior Room One Full Bed

The elevator is old and a little slow but works

The staff is very nice. The hotel is close enough to everything without being in the middle of crowds. Everything is very clean.

• Reviewed: 20 November 2016

• Superior Two Beds

Wifi hardly worked in bedroom, but was fine in lobby where there were plenty of chairs.

Excellent location. Hotel was clean. We booked a superior room, which was newly decorated and spacious enough. The room was a fair price. The hotel has facilities for printing out boarding passes.

• Reviewed: 2 November 2016

• Junior Room One Full Bed

the one bedroom junior had no window, it was claustrophobic and stuffy. get a window suite at this hotel. excellent restaurant, rustic but superb food and drinks.

• Reviewed: 19 September 2016

• Junior Room One Full Bed

Kept very poorly smelled of musk and mold!! Walls were bubbling with water damage just overall not very appealing. Oh and not to mention the AC wasn't working so Thad to keep getting up to turn on and off cause thermostat wasn't working .

• Reviewed: 24 July 2016

• Junior Room One Full Bed

The room was very congested and showed its age.

I interacted with 2 members of staff. One was truly an ambassador of the hotel and of Puerto Rico. The other one did not know how to smile.

Tv was too small

Comfy little hotel

• Junior Room One Full Bed

No tv and that there is a very fake pic of the “pool” which is really a tub

No parking on location.

The location is great!

• Junior Room One Full Bed

It was good for that price

• Standard Queen Room

Nice restaurant on the top floor

Very good

• Standard Queen Room

Terribly outdated. Room smelled dank and greasy. Poor ventilation. Elevator was sketchy.

Bed was clean

• Junior Room One Full Bed

The person at the desk that day was not really friendly

The location.

• Standard Queen Room

Everything was great. Restaurant on the 5th floor was awesome.

• Junior Room One Full Bed

The bed was comfortable, the room was clean, and the location is fantastic

Room smelled funny

Elevator is scary

Great staff rooms were adaquate rooftop restaurant isreally good, great AC

Windows were very small.

The Location is great and compared to other Hotels around it's a nice Price.

• Junior Room One Full Bed

The guy at check-in was very rude & very arrogant.

Nothing at all

Amazing staffs thank for having stayed there

• Junior Room One Full Bed

No window and small room

Location, available, good customer service

• Junior Room One Full Bed

Book restaurant a head it gets packed and waiting time could be long, but worth the wait

Great location, nice restaurant, clean rooms really liked it

• Superior Two Beds

Air conditioning was a plus! Also, they locked our luggage up for us while we toured around.

• Junior Room One Full Bed

Bathroom floor was not clean. Need some bleach.

Quaintness. Great place for an overnight visit

Small room and bed.

It was clean, small room but it was ok.

Dirty bathroom..smoked filled restaurant upstairs..unfriendly personnel..

• Superior Queen Room

A newer elevator would be nice

Brought me back in time, great antiques and pictures

No fridge

I loved the location and the friendliness of the staff and other travelers we met.

Room smelled bad

Roof top bar was excellent. Staff was great!

• Superior Queen Room

Air conditioning was subarctic. No way to adjust the temperature.

Excellent location. Close to restaurants and convenient fcor cruise departure.

No window into the rooom

Noisy air conditioning unit

Excellent roof-top restaurant

Hallway door poor

Staff friendly

Can't think of anything

Friendly staff, good suggestions on where to eat and sites to see