Reviews of Sheraton Old San Juan Hotel 4 stars

100 Brumbaugh Street, Old San Juan, 00901 San Juan, Puerto Rico

#28 of 49 hotels in San Juan

• Traditional King Room

It was quite pricey for an older hotel. We were "upgraded" which turned out to be a downgrade from the room we originally booked. The elevator was broken so we waited over 20 minutes in the morning trying to access reception

The location was great for a short stay. We were departing via cruise ship so it was fantastic for this

A little pricey.

Very pleased with the hotel, it was clean and the staff was very nice. I was a little worried how it was going to be since the hurricane, and what a relief when we got there. We would definitely stay again.

• Deluxe Double Room with City View

My room, which I paid a lot of money for one night $285.00, I opened my shutters and faced a cement parking lot with NO VIEW, except for cars parked there. Advertised as city view, WRONG, Parking lot view. Asked to change my room and they said the hotel was all booked. This was 9:30 in the morning, people were checking in all day. Lied to me. Hotel had nothing to do, especially because it rain all day. Lobby was small.

The hotel was in Old San Juan, the ship, Royal Caribbean is not in the port near the hotel you have to talk a cab to the port. (not a 5 minute walk as advertised)Other side of the river.

• Traditional King Room

Unfortunately, one of the nights there was an event with loud music at the hotel, and we could not rest. They were also doing works on the second floor, so we could not rest during the day as well. It was very disappointing.

• Traditional King Room

The location of this hotel was great. It was close to many restaurants and a drug store. Always nice to pick up a few things before getting on a ship. The bed was very comfortable, but the room was much cooler than I like. (Even after playing with the settings on the thermostat.) It would be fine if you were a big fan of air conditioning. I am not.

• Deluxe Double Room with City View

For the price paid I was expexting better appearance and cleanliness. Carpet from the halls on our way to our smell like cigarrette and mold.

Location. Close to restaurants bars and landmarks

• Traditional King Room

Everything! The staff was also rude and did not honor any of the Genius offers. ZIP! The only person that was decent to us was the bellman and he was getting tipped.

This was one of the worst expensive hotels we have ever stayed in. It was outclassed by a cheap Parisian hotel near la gare du nord. The room looked onto a light shaft. Everything was shop worn.

• Traditional King Room

WiFi was extremely weak. Coffee was extremely weak. Breakfast looked too expensive for what they were charging. Black out curtains would be nice as they only have shutters for the windows. For some reason my room card kept getting deactivated despite not being anywhere close to my phone.

The bed was extremely comfortable (KING ROOM), comes with free water, and a big space.

• Traditional King Room

Bed cover like a rock. Power went out . Extremely cold and damp. Location amazing. Expected more from Sheraton...as I am used to staying in them in Canada and USA. Restaurant okay.

• Deluxe Double Room with City View

The price was insane. I'm guessing it was because of Mother's Day but doubling the price for one night was certainly not worth it.

Older than it looks and the Ships don't dock out front. That could be due to the storm but I don't know.

• Double Room - Disability Access

Yes the bed and pillows were comfortable . Room view was not great but small with old furnishings. I had to fix a loses toilet sit and remove towels from inside the walk in stall. Poor design were they will get splash on when showing. The only good thing was its location, The search for compeditive rate was misleading from the start and paying for services not used or offered special discound ( AAA, AARP ETC.) at registration. I was not pleased with the experience.

• Traditional King Room

No room service No mini bar in room People at reception not happy at all Gave us room looking at parking lot behind Bad view

The towels and the bed clean and soft People at reception not friendly did all paperwork wrong for invoices Bell boys super helpful

• Traditional King Room

I suggest a cheap price at the valet parking.

The bed and pillows super comfortable. And I loved they gave me an upgrade. We enjoyed a stunning view to the bay. BEAUTIFUL! I really like the free items. The staff very friendly.

• Traditional King Room

The ONLY complaint was that they did have a soda machine on every floor, however they ate money, and out of 4 floors, we found 1 that wasn't sold out! The only downside of the whole stay, running floor to floor to get a water or soda.

Location was ideal overlooking port and town! Perfect for cruise ship guests! Had a nice rooftop pool, fitness room, and restaurant. Bed was like a cloud! Room was beautiful and spacious and well worth the price! Staff was excellent! Was a breath of fresh air after a long, hot cruise!

• Traditional King Room

Considering the amount of money this hotel cost, we were not pleased to be looking at a gravel roof, surrounded by more hotel rooms. ONE staff member at the desk was rude. All others were wonderful.

Location was great.

We wanted a balcony The only balcony they have was the restaurant What we had was enough to put 2 feet on the other side of the door (really) the balcony was 1 foot x 2 foot it was really disappointing

It was right at the port and close to shopping

• Deluxe Double Room with City View

The air-con in the common spaces and hallways was way too cold.

The location of the Sheraton cannot be beat--right down on the waterfront. Everything in Old San Juan is in walking distance from the hotel and all the amenities you need are close by. The staff were very welcoming and helpful. Beds were super comfy. We made a last minute booking (that unfortunately coincided with the docking of three cruise ships) but the price was reasonable given the situation. The rooftop pool was the jewel on top of the crown and just what you need to cool down in the heat of the Puerto Rico sun. We had a fantastic stay and would definitely recommend the Sheraton to those visiting Old San Juan.

• Traditional King Room

No negatives here except that I wish there was a fridge in the room!

Customer service was great, we were able to check in two hours early, which was nice of them. Ice and vending down the hall, pool on roof with hot tub. Location is perfect for exploring old San Juan or hopping on the ferry to Bacardí factory.

• Traditional King Room

The convenience of being able to walk across the street from the pier when we disembarked from our cruise and the held our bags in the locked storage room while we went off to explore Old San Juan. The staff gave us a call by 1pm that our room was was ready while we were sightseeing. We had room 306 it was a nice large room with a king sized bed. It didn't have a great view but it was very well appointed, exceptionally clean and comfortable. Finally we had a late flight back to JFK and after we checked out they held our bags for the day so we can explore more of the city. When we return to Old San Juan we'll definitely be staying here.

• Traditional King Room

I chose this hotel because of its location and appearance. The architecture blends in with the Old San Juan, yet the hotel offers modern comforts.The beds were very comfortable, and our room was very clean. If you are going on a cruise, as we were, this location is perfect. You can walk with your luggage to your cruise ship on a wide sidewalk with great water views. You have to cross the street, and amusingly all traffic will stop for you to cross, or even if you are just stopping to admire the view. There are also designated crossings. The dining room has both indoor and outdoor seating, and the view of the harbour is outstanding. The breakfast buffet was very good.

• Deluxe Double Room with City View

I loved how friendly the staff was. We asked Amanda where the best places to eat authentic food and she did not disappoint. We went back to her the next day for another recommendation. She was great and very informed. Angel took care of us as well. We loved the service.

• Double Room - Disability Access

The pool on the roof is a bit small, the rooms don’t have a fridge (have to pay extra), breakfast isn’t included, the rooms could use a bit updating, but aren’t at the point where they scream that.

Comfy beds, free amenities, great tv, large bathroom in individual rooms, but not the rooms with balcony’s, the location is great, hair dryer and iron available in the room.

• Traditional King Room

The restaurant would be perfect if the food was more authentic to the area. It was like catering facility food.

Top Notch! Centrally located. They held our bags when checkout was 12p.m. since flight was not till 8p.m. most comfortable bed. Pool area was clean and not crowded in morning. Helpful staff.

• Deluxe Double Room with City View

We had problems with one of the front desk managers,he told us breakfast was not included in the room while our bookings reservations clearly stated it was. The told us to call bookings and sort it out, only after we told them we didn't want to spend our vacation time on something that was there problem to figure out did he end up calling bookings. Once of the phone we were told we were all set, just not a great way to start the vacation arguing about breakfast.

The location for the hotel is very convenient. Beds are comfortable. Pool on the roof is small but a nice place to hang out after a long day. The hotel rooms are nice but not $400 a night nice.

• Traditional King Room

A fridge would have been nice

We loved the hotel location was great,staff were very helpful very friendly. Hotel was beautiful very clean. Would definitely stay again

• Traditional King Room

I booked 2 rooms through Booking.com. I had the confirmation email but they couldn't find the room for myself in the system. Luckily they had another room and honored my room rate.

Everyone was friendly. We went on a cruise and they held our luggage before the cruise and then we stayed an extra day and they held our luggage until check in. The location was great for not only the cruise but for being in Old San Juan...a great place to explore! I'll go back even if I am not on a cruise...loved it!

• Deluxe Double Room with City View

The check in was a quite slower than a typical SPG. But hey we were on vacation not business so, time was not an paramount.

The views from the hotel were great. easy access to the ports.

• Traditional King Room

The name Sheraton has always resembled an above par dwelling. Sadly, this particular one does not possess the "wow" effect; nor the "Great!" factor as well. The front desk resembles that of a Motel 6 environment, the pool seems like a 4ft puddle, and the rooms lack any sense of style or decor. The AC in the room did not cool down past 72 degrees. When a fan was requested from the front desk, they had no idea on where to retrieve it from; even though it is listed as a request able amenity. Last night, I called for room service (which the hotel "states" they offer); however, they sadly said that it was not available this day. In the morning, I called for room-service again, the gentleman who answered was rude and continued to hang up on me. Being in a premium touristic area, such as Old San Juan, Puerto Rico, one would expect a little more from the name "Sheraton". This visit was a complete disappointment and regretfully a negative appeal to the Sheraton hotel.

Elevator worked

• Traditional King Room

I don't think that there was anything that I did not like, but if it were a busier time of the year I would probably complain about the elevator since there is only 1.

I like the fact that it is right in Old San Juan, making it easy to shop at the local store and restaurants. If you are cruising (I wasn't) this is a great spot because it is right across the street from the port.

• Deluxe King Room with Bay View

We checked in later 3 people went thru the front by the cash register and ignore us. It was late and we felt they were leisurely waiting on us after 10 hours on a plane that was not appreciated..

Beds wonderful

• Deluxe Double Room with City View

The conditions not favorable were not the hotels fault........hurricanes are not controllable. This hotel made every effort to make their guests comfortable under the circumstances.

The suite with balcony of the second floor was seeped in ambiance befitting the history of this hotel. Due to hurricane restaurant and elevator was not working. We would have loved this place under normal conditions and will make this a to do in the future after San Juan gets back to normal and restored.

• Deluxe Double Room with City View

Had no refrigerator or microwave in room. You had to rent them if you wanted that. At this nice of a hotel we were expecting that to be part of the room.

Loved the location and the pool was fun. It was close to the Carnival cruise port! We had a beautiful view!

• Traditional King Room

We paid almost $250 and didn't get a breakfast! The front desk guy was very rude. I called to complain about a fight taking place and was hung up on! I was very upset that I was awaked at 3:30 in the AM.

I liked the fact that it was right across the street from the port( we were able to walk to the port). I also like the fact that there are a lot of shops located close by.

• Traditional King Room

You can hear "mechanical noises" at night time, but they are not loud.

The Bed was very comfy. Personal at the restaurant very nice and adequate and the food was very good.

When we arrived you had cancelled part of our booking, I have complained and had no response, given your failure to deal with my complaints I think I will refer the whole mess you left me with to ABTA.

• Traditional King Room

Coffee on room was only one shot . and could be more if you are more than 1 person couldnot drink. Only thing

Love how the personal there works. Its was good service and atentt.

• Traditional King Room

Great location, right at old San Juan and close to several restaurants, bars and the cruise port. Comfortable beds, clean facilities and good breakfast.

• Deluxe Double Room with City View

Extremely noisy. Impossible to sleep with such a noise from the hallway. You could hear the smallest noise in the hallway.

Great location, great staff

• Traditional King Room

Bed was great, did not like the maid knocking on door at 9:00, check out was not until 11:00, I should have put out do not disturb, check in was on their terms 3 and after, but was pushing you out the door at 11.

• Traditional King Room

I got the room next to the elevator and I couldn't sleep well because of the noise when people go or come from the elevator I didn't like the breakfast food specially the egg it smells so bad and the taste was so bad

The location is so good that you dont need any transportation to go anywhere because everything you need is from 5 to 10 minutes walking away The staff were very friendly

• Deluxe Double Room with City View

The only thing would be is that rooms and bathrooms will probably need to be updated soon. Paint look a little old, but the bed and beautiful linen made up for it. The room was extremely clean and you could tell that.

Staff (all front desk staff, cleaning staff, outside by the front door staff, the young lady with the cream colored suit who seems to be over looking the staff) they were so friendly and accommodating. There was no bad experience every person was so helpful and made our vacation, so awesome. We will come back here.

• Double Room - Disability Access

Price and service . Terrible check in service . Gladys the manager was very rude and appeared to cater to those of a certain ethnic background. Room reserve was not available and had to get a roll away bed. Was given a extra breakfast free to make up I guess. Room was ok but awkward due to the roll away bed. Water in the shower did not get very hot pretty much like warm. Staff other than GLADYS did appear friendlier.

It was free

No complaints.

The people, the staff were so very friendly and helpful. I got to use the computer and print documents for free. Breakfast was delicious!

Room was basic and not cleaned on Sunday. Slightly overpriced

Nice location in the picturesque old town, close to some nice restaurants & bars. Nice views from a rooftop pool

• Traditional King Room

Room was great. Fire alarm went off in the middle of the night.We were compensated for the inconvenience by getting breakfast. Traveling with 8 family members and all were happy with their accommodations. Super location. We took our luggage across to the ship.

• Traditional King Room

- Booking.com offer was expensive, price shown was without tax and charges. Gustazo company and the hotel itself directly had a way better deal. (Knew that after I paid booking.com) - Room wasn't available until 5pm

Close to everything I needed.

• Traditional King Room

The iron was broke and the blow dryer wouldn't get hot.

The people are so friendly. The beds are so comfy and it was easy to walk to everything we needed from there. Would definitely stay there again.

Location can't be beat if you're cruising. Cruise port is just across the street. Very easy walk to all major attractions in Old San Juan. Staff was very friendly and accommodating. My children enjoyed the pool area.

• Deluxe King Room with Bay View

It's right across the street from the Carnival Cruise Port and several authentic Puerto Rican restaurants are in walking distance. Love the old architecture in the area.

• Deluxe Double Room with City View

My room was supposed to have a view of the town but it face a parking garage. Tried to eat outside on the terrace but the birds surrounded me.

Service was fantastic Inexpensive parking next block and car rental right downstairs Good information about other areas of island

• Deluxe Double Room with City View

I can't remember anything that I didn't like

The bed was very comfortabel. Staff is very helpfully and the location is perfect. Everything is on walking distance.

• Traditional King Room

The room windows did not have courtains and the daylight seeped through the day and we could not sleep confortably because of that after a late night out.

• Traditional King Room

Parking is NOT private. It's public parking. One employee was nasty when this was pointed out. Discounts available but this employee never bothered to mention it.

Room and hotel were very clean. Hotel was very responsive to requests (beach towels, printing discount vouchers etc). The location is fantastic.

• Reviewed: 9 June 2017

• Deluxe Double Room with City View

Don't have any complaints!

The location was great! It is very central to everything you want to see in Old San Juan, and very close to convenience stores and restaurants. The room was well appointed, and the bed comfortable. We had a nice view of the fort and ferry port. The staff was very friendly, and accommodated our late checkout.

• Reviewed: 1 June 2017

• Deluxe Double Room with City View

No view from room we were staying - faced parking garage. Reservation did not include breakfast. Most of restaurants in the area did not open until about 11am.

Property was central in walking distance to quite a few places.

• Double Room - Disability Access

I spent twice the money for the hotel via booking.com than I did for the same room, I was not very happy about that. $315.00 through your service vice 135.00 for another room made through the hotel for additional guests traveling with us.

The property was outstandingly maintained. An easy and very brief walk from the cruise terminal right across the street from eachother. Many many places very close to eat and Dominoes and Senior Frogs right outside the hotel for the kiddos if you have them with you.

• Reviewed: 14 May 2017

• Deluxe Double Room with City View

Self confident and extremely unprofessional service people at reception. 3 times blocked the money from my Credit Card blaming my card is not working. Hotel wish to earn 4.04 US Dollars from clients to open every blocked money. They should accept my decision to park a car in a parking lot by myself with no any contest because I had a rental car and cannot give over my car to anybody. Anybody.That are the rental contract rules but for them it seems you do not want to pay tips.

Location. Nice rooms with sea views.

• Deluxe Double Room with City View

Way too expensive for what we paid for. They have a Walgreens and Senior Frogs on ground floor to bring in revenue and the pictures of front of hotel with outdoor cafe is misleading.

Did not honor our request to be near elevator after booking 4 months in advance. The room needs to be updated to have a larger modern sink in bathroom. Buffet at $20.00 plus gratuities and tax is too much- only one poor man to help everyone and no way he could make eggs to order, although he did a tremendous job keeping our coffee and juice filled.

• Double Room - Disability Access

The price was really high for one night, although I do understand because of location and cruise port.

The beds where great, wifi was better than other places I have stayed at.

Price. We also thought this location was across the street from Cruise boarding. While it is across the street from the day visit Cruise dock, if you are thinking you can walk to the ship to start your trip, you will still need a $12 taxi ride.

Location and Room were great

• Reviewed: 28 April 2017

• Traditional King Room

Booking.com overcharged me and took 2 months to resolve. All properties in this area are pricey. No hotel is with the price there.

The bed was very comfortable

• Reviewed: 15 April 2017

• Deluxe King Room with Bay View

Maybe a bit bigger pool..

I loved the bed, it was huge and so comfortable! Also i got upgraded! Got a much bigger room with amazing view on the top floor! Loved the bathrobes, so comfy and soft! :)

• Deluxe King Room with Bay View

We went for breakfast in the hotel. When we tried to pay with cash the employee told us that they had no change and we had to pay with a credit card. The bed was to soft for us.

• Reviewed: 6 April 2017

I booked rooms for 4 families and we were all treated differently. The girls at the front desk were very nice when we initially got there and checked in. We were all told that the hotel would call when rooms were ready and it would be around 3 pm. That was fine. It was when a couple of the families from my party tried to get their rooms later in the afternoon that the staff got nasty. Even the manager, I thought, was more nasty than I would have expected. He just plain didn't care. I realize that the hotel was doing the best they could to get rooms ready. They were offered suites eventually, after an unnecessary confrontation took place. They should have been properly accommodated right away, I feel. There should have never been any kind of confrontation what so ever. We waited til after 3:30 before we decided to check for rooms. Only 1 of our families had been called. It was hot and we were all tired from our trip into port. Some of us just wanted to be able to relax. I know 1 of the families called the 800 number and made the situation known. It was a situation that could have been totally avoided. We really did like the hotel. Kasey Woollard

Breakfast isn't offered to guests. The guest has to pay for breakfast. I feel breakfast should be included at any hotel/motel. Rooms and hotel is nice. Great location.

• Reviewed: 26 March 2017

• One-Bedroom Suite with Two Double Beds

The hotel , though large, was welcoming, comfortable and friendly. It has the best location in San Juan - right opposite the cruise ship dock - what a sight.

• Reviewed: 22 March 2017

• Traditional King Room

nothing really. Maybe just a repair, the bedroom hallway is a little dated.

This hotel is just steps away from the Carnival cruises pier, which is absolutely great. And, plus is just right downtown Old San Juan.

• Reviewed: 18 March 2017

• Deluxe Double Room with City View

After being book 2 months was advised that price increase $54 dollars. Plus bookithe offer taxi service for $86 dollars from airport to hotel. Regular taxi van at airport was $26 dollars for 4 plus 4 luggage bags

Across street for cruise ship senior frogs next door

• Reviewed: 10 March 2017

• Deluxe Double Room with City View

The hotel was not as advertised. Meant to be a 4 star but i wouldnt give it any more than 2! My reasons are: the rooms are dingy, cold, the bed was uncomfortable and the advertised 'city view' was actually of a car park...! Also the walls were paper thin and it was noisy. The staff were grumpy and unhelpful... I was very disappointed and would not recommend anyone to stay there.

It was close to Old San Juan that was the only positive...

• Reviewed: 21 February 2017

• Traditional King Room

Furnishings are somewhat dated. Rooms in need of remodeling.

Bed was very comfortable. Staff very friendly and welcoming. Only stayed one night so did not get to enjoy the pool. Really enjoy the rooms with balconies. Great location and ease of walking distance to shops and great eateries in Old San Juan!

• Double Room - Disability Access

They didn't show up to clean the room until we were back for dinner on the first night so we had to find them just to get a few items. Every other night was great.

Staff was kind and helpful! Loved the people working the excursion desk. Honest and great tips! Restaurant was really tasty and large portions. Amazing location! Walking distance to everything except the beach but its a short taxi away. The view from the pool was beautiful. Clean!

• Traditional King Room

The hotel is overpriced and dated.

The location was excellent! There is a Walgreen's in the building where the Casino used to be which is excellent if you forgot anything at home. There is a stop a few feet away for the free trolley that goes through town. It is about a $20USD cab ride to the port.

• Reviewed: 16 February 2017

• Deluxe Double Room with City View

I didn't find the bed all that comfortable. We watched the Superbowl in the hotel bar and the drinks were not that great. I ordered a mojito and didn't like it. I then ordered a dirty vodka martini and it was good.

Location, location, location. I love Old San Juan and this property is in the middle of it all. Great restaurants to walk to. Love the pool on the 9th floor with an amazing view. If you want a hotel on the beach, this location is not for you. Stay in Condado or Isla Verde for the beach.

• Reviewed: 15 February 2017

• Traditional King Room

I have never seen that heavy blanket in my life... Some staff from the restaurant was pretty moody...

Staff (except in restaurant) were amazing, location is best ever... It was really nice stay...

• Reviewed: 15 February 2017

• Traditional King Room

The 17% hotel fee was excessive to cover water bottles, apples, wifi and the use of the pool, if desired.

The room was spacious. The hotel was convenient to Old San Juan and just a short walk from the port where our cruise ship docked. The concierge was very helpful.

• Reviewed: 13 February 2017

• Traditional King Room

The elevators were very slow and there was not easy access to the stairs. I am not certain the pictures of the hotel when I book are of the hotel I stayed in.

The location was great.