Reviews of Hotel Borges Chiado 3 stars

Rua Garret 108, Santa Maria Maior, 1200-205 Lisbon, Portugal

#218 of 329 hotels in Lisbon

• Standard Triple Room

We were not satisfied with the room we spent our fist night at the hotel. Breakfast is basic and could be much better and well presented. They could add some charm to it. Breaksfast staff was not sympathetic. I had the feeling that If I hadn´t been empathic, telling the lady from the reception desk that the room I spent the first night didn´t correspond to the one I saw in booking.com´s picture, she wouldn´t have changed us. She insisted in saying that the first room was superior. But when we got to the second room, also superior, it was cristal clean for us that the superior category varies a lot. The second room was new, quiet and charming.

We reserved a triple superior room for 4 nights. The first night was terrible cause our room was facing the street. And this part of the street is very noisy. There´s a bar just below the hotel. My brother is an architect and found out a defect in the window. It was not working properly and the noise could be heard out loud. Another problem with this room was the quantity of steps to get to the bathroom and the size of the shower bathtub - too small. I asked for a room with shower and not bathtub, cause my mother is old and entering a bathtub could be a dangerous action for her. This first room had no charm at all and the bathroom was old and ugly. The reason for my good evaluation is that in the morning of the following day we moved to a very nice and well decorated flat room, with a shower and far away from the noisy street. Both rooms had very comfortable beds, linen and pillows. The reception staff that received us for the first night was very sympathetic and helpful. The Chiado neightbourhood is perfect! Very close and walking distance to lots of the site that must be visited in Lisbon!

Possibly the worst hotel breakfast I've ever had (later found that if purchased separately it would cost 15 euros per person). Poor stocking of bathroom (had to ask for loo paper).

They gave us a big room that was prepared for a family, with extra bed in the middle of the room, beside the sofa! Sort of uncomfortable.

The location.

The general rooms were stunning but didn't have much purpose. No bar in the hotel and the coffee was dreadful The bedrooms were clean but very bijou

Excellent location and friendly enough staff

• Standard Triple Room

Strange and very strong chemical smell in the hallways. Stayed here at the beginning of the trip and at the end—second stay the staff had changed (they brought on summer help that were friendly and helpful) but three weeks prior we couldn’t get any of the staff to even say hello!

Excellent location. The room was nice.

• Standard Twin Room

Eating the hotel's breakfast would have added 120 Euros to the cost of our 4 day stay. Instead, we used some of the considerably less expensive cafes nearby. The famous Lisbon cafes, the Cafe A Brasileira and the Cafe Benard, are located on each side of the hotel. You can find an amazing range of breakfast choices, at around 10 Euros (or less) for 2 people.

Fantastic central location - the room was spacious, comfortable, and clean. The staff were helpful, putting our cases in their luggage room as we arrived too early to check in, and they also allowed us to leave our cases with them on the day we checked out, and collect them later when we left Lisbon. Although we were on the fifth floor, there was a lift which we could use to transport our cases.

• Standard Triple Room

The entire hotel smelled like sewer , not kidding. This got old every day. Also, the staff seems like a smile on their face would kill them. Maybe its the Portuguese way of life, but they seem like they are not happy people and definitely not warm and welcoming. I asked them at one point to get help with printing my boarding passes and they acted like I just asked to run their mother over with a bus. The request had to go through 4 people, they had to whisper the request to each person, then they would stare in our direction, with a look of disgust, then eventually they lead me to a tiny little cubbie hole where there was a sad little out dated computer. After struggling with it to actually work, and got so close to printing the passes, their copier was out of paper, and no one knew how to fix that 20th century issue. Our "view" was of 16 air conditioners from the third floor-nice. But my real complaint is the horrible building wide sewer smell and the apparently unhappy staff members. Especially the older man at the front who couldnt look us in the eye and seemed annoyed when we came to the front desk. And, oh yeah, we asked the front desk about the famous yellow trolley, how to get on it, etc. And the lady knew nothing about it. Really?

location is good, however, taxis can not get to this location as the street front is a pedestrian only walkway. So, you have to drag your bags a few hundred yards to get there. The room was big and spacious.

The location is perfect, the staff was nice, the breakfast room looks like a museum. Our room was huge with balcon. In a nutshell, we got value for our money. Strongly recommended.

• Standard Twin Room

There were a package with toothpaste, toothbrush, which can be very useful. Most of the hotels do not have this regardless how expensive they are. The room was clean, and the location of the hotel is fantastic, close to the river, Alfama, in the middle of nice downtown. Good wifi.

It’s extremely noisy. Our room was facing the street and the street is very noisy all day. We were awaken twice in the middle of the night by people screaming in the street.

• Standard Triple Room

Staff made us feel very unwelcome didn't acknowledge us entering or leaving,no safe key,no water in the room,or coffee making facilities,there is off reception in which you have to pay a euro in machine which by the way no one even tells you its there,toilet off reception, no hand soap,hand tissue or toilet paper we paid £200 a night and we were extremely disappointed

Room lovely,very clean

• Superior Twin Room with Chiado View

Building is a little cramped and needs some maintenance.

Staff was very axcomodating, and the location in the historic district is great to walk around.

There is no cups and spoons or even a little pot in the room. We wanted to have a tea and had to go to the first floor to get a cup, spoons we couldn't get even there

The room was unbelievably big! Very nice:)

• Superior Twin Room

it was a very bad smell from the sewerage in the bathroom. I had a superior room. In my booking confirmation was written that in the room is tea/coffee maker, coffee machine, but there was not, a safety deposit box - which was locked.

location is very good with quick access to metro and tram, close to restaurants and shops

• Standard Triple Room

The stuff!!! At the booking confirmation there´s information about check in possible from 12pm, nevertheless when I arrived I was told it has changed (without anybody letting me know) to 2pm, so I had to wait 25 minutes (yet, I arrived at 1:35pm). NO APOLOGY eventhough it was their fault. Two other people arrived just after 1 am and while they were checked in the receptionist informed us (as I was informed even in the afternoon), we had to pay straight away. It´s kind of our of a good service to ask for the payment after long trip and at night. Neverthless we knew this, so no problem. We paid the bill, but the receptionist informed us, it´s too complicated to give us the invoice, so we will receive it in the morning. I was like - WHAT? We had to pay at night, but he´s too lazy to give us the invoice?! I made him to close the program (which as I found out was the big deal) and give us the invoice. The guy had problems with English and it wasn´t easy to figure out what was he trying to say (he even wrote the amount we should pay on the paper as he didn´t know how to say it). After another 30 minutes we finally got the invoice with the receipt of the payment. As I said, the complication was closing the program, which by the way was closed in 5 seconds, but then another quy must come to help with printing the invoice. I always thought English and printing are two of the most crucial things you should know when working at the reception. Another day I asked for 3rd bath towel as we were given just two (we were 3 in the room). I was assured by the receptionist she´ll bring it to our room once her colleague comes back. SHE NEVER SHOWED UP!! Luckily for us we got at least 3 hand towels. The poorest attitude of the stuff I´ve ever experienced during my travels. I wanted some information regarding the city, neverthless I was even afraid to ask as most of the people at the reception looked annoyed and so arrogant.

Great location - right in the city centre

• Standard Twin Room

My room was small with little space; could open only one suitcase. No coffee kettle in the room. One of the two lifts was making lot of noise and giving jerks.Needs to be taken care of immediately.

Very good location in the old city, just above a Metro station entrance.

the photos on booking.com did not refelct the room I was given. My room was 434 and looked more like a blanked of hall way. I requested an other room and was told that the hotel was full.

location is central

The hotel is on a pedestrian plaza so there is no car access. That makes unloading and loading luggage very tricky because there is no close easy place for a car to park even for 3-5 minutes. There are two spots on the corner of the plaza marked for short term hotel use, but that seems to be poorly enforced because they were always occupied for hours at a time by other vehicles. Lacked some basic amenities like complimentary coffee in the room, but no big deal. We were in a room by the elevator which was sort of in a dim lit no mans land of a hallway.

The location was very centrally located, easy walking to other neighborhoods. Good bars, restaurants, shopping near by. Small-ish property. Limited amenities on site. Would recommend this as a conveniently located home base for exploring Lisbon, but not as a hotel to sit around and lounge at. Was surprised by the really nice gym at the hotel!

• Standard Twin Room

The corridors smelled funny, no complimentary coffee, I asked for a room with a view & separated twin beds and got neither. I realize it was only 1 night but I hoped for the computer pics & it wasn't.

The staff was wonderful .

The lack of a bar. The "bad drains" smell which permeated the communal lounge area and the staircase Our friends reported that the breakfast was not particularly good value for money; we used local cafes instead for a greater choice of food and cheaper prices

Location was very good, right in the heart of things Rooms were really spacious and the bathroom was fitted with a great walk-in shower

• Standard Twin Room

All the hotel smelled of sewage, our and the neighbouring room was definitely smelly. We could sleep in our room only with closed bathroom door and opened bathroom windows, because of the smell. /It was 8 C outside/ We complained to the reception, but nothing happened. Never ever again........

The wifi was working. We got an excellent tip to a good restaurant. The bed was confortable.

• Standard Twin Room

Reception staff not helpful despite there being 5 of them standing or sitting around, not particularly friendly, breakfast average. Tacky decor in rooms.

Clean, walking distance to most things

The checkin was painfully slow and antiquated. Even after we registered to check in and came back one hour later when the room was ready it was still an extended process to get us checked into our room. After that everything was very good. The location could not be better as it was immediately adjacent to a subway stop and in the centre part of town.

At no time were we told we were unable to access the breakfast room even though we were invited to take breakfast. Fortunately there were very good nearby facilities. Our room was directly above reception and at times very noisy.

Very spacious and excellent bathroom facilities for a disabled person.

The hotel is very nice but we were very surprised that the little bar in one of the cozy rooms wasn't open - a glass of wine in one of the comfortable sofas would have been perfect after a long day walking the charming streets of Lisbon! The staff at the reception was utterly un-charming! Hardly a "hello", hardly a smile, and if we asked for help, we nearly felt as if we were to apologize...The breakfast...well...even though we had breakfast included in our price, we sometimes preferred to eat at another place.

The location of the hotel is excellent; round the corner you walk into the Bairro Alto District and some hundred meters downwards you find yourself in the middle of Baixa. Just outside the hotel you have the metro, the buses and the charming trams.

• Suite

Overall, the hotel was mediocre. We asked for a quiet room, as the rooms facing the square were subjected to the loud music and noise that lasted until around 2 in the morning. Our room faced a quieter street, but was dark and dated. The shower head broke while we were taking a shower. The housekeeper was friendly and efficient, but the hotel suffers from a smell of dampness. The breakfast was sub-standard. When we were checking out during the evening, the night staff was less than courteous and did not offer any help with our bags.

The location is the best attribute of this hotel.

• Standard Twin Room

As it's on main street, better, air/sound tide windows would be appreciated to reduce the noise. We had no towels in our room when we arrived, but after calling the reception they brought them fast. Rooms are kind of tide - hardly enough space to walk between the bed and the a box in which is the TV.

Very good location, relatively modern look.

• Standard Twin Room

I'm picky, there were areas in the room that needed some maintenance (mainly around window frames). And this is a common theme in many places I've stayed in Europe, they renovate the rooms and forget about the windows (although I do understand that these are historical buildings and different permits may be required to change window & frames)

Excellent location near metro station, cafe's, and shops. Walking distance to many great restaurants and sights. Most of the staff was great and helpful. It really is a great location for the price. It looks like the bathroom had been recently renovated. Bed was super comfy. Free Wi-Fi worked great in the room. Go next door for breakfast.

• Superior Twin Room

Staff barely looked up when we walked in. Responsive when asked - toilet malfunctioned and they got it fixed timely. But only once did someone behind the desk look at us to determine if we needed attention, much less to greet us.

The location was great, particularly after we figured out the trick of using the Metro station escalators down from Chiado square (where the Hotel is) to Baixa. Very close to all the Bairro Alto clubs and restaurants.

• Standard Twin Room

The staff weren't very friendly. The room was very noisy, with music playing well into the night, and thumping overhead from early morning. No coffee/tea-making facilities. No lock on bathroom door. Poor lighting at bedside. Strange smells in the corridor.

The location was very central, the room was clean and comfortable. It was nice to have a fridge. The room was spacious; the shower was good. Nice range of toiletries. Nice big comfortable bed.

A really bad experience. There were renovation work going on in the opposite room from ours. At the day time it didn't bother and the receptionist told that they won't start before the breakfast is over next morning. Well, we woke up in the morning to the construction noise and the room was very dusty. And had to pay 140 € for that... never again to this hotel!

Location was good.

Lack of surfaces in the bathroom. The only place to stand things was on the toilet cistern. The walk-in shower wa a good size, but the rest was somewhat cramped. No tea or coffee making facilities

The location is wonderful. Smart, central,atmospheric & convenient Metro station right in front. The hotel is impressive clean. I appreciated having a safe. Staff were friendly & helpful . Although I prefer bath tubs, the shower here was excellent

• Standard Twin Room

Poor insulation can hear people in neighboring rooms & corridor very noisy. Bathroom - no place to put toiletries, needs shelves adding.

Situation excellent - central.

The breakfast was very good. There was a lot to choose from and the hotel was very ornate. The people were very helpful and friendly. I would stay again.

• Standard Twin Room

Breakfast boring for longer stays, no variety, no soya milk, no peanut butter

location was the deciding factor, Metro right in front of the door, very central. No comfortable area to sit and chill if the weather is not co-operative, leaves only the tiny room or go out in the rain.

• Standard Twin Room

Great central location, metro is just next to the hotel. Everything can be reached by foot. Room is comfortable. We were very happy with staying here and would definitely stay here again.

My daughter and boyfriend's room, also on the 3rd floor, but not superior, was actually very inferior. Strong smell of sewage. Bathroom sealant was mouldy and very damp smelling. Lots of crumbs outside their door. Small and dark

We had the superior double with balcony on 3rd floor. Lovely large room, clean and bright bathroom. Interesting tv/mirror! Decor neutral, and needing a little "smartening" up ie light fittings coming of the wall. Sound proofing and curtains worked well.

Fifth floor room...small window. Too dark. Very noisy. Very good third floor room at rear...but mould in shower cubicle

Senior staff member...woman...dealt well with our request for a change of room. Splendid location. Beside metro, short walk to an array of restaurants, easy access to transport, walk-to access to sights.

• Standard Triple Room

Location, nothing more. booking.com says there's a bathtub in every room but there isn't. On second day, we found out there is a rain leaking from the ceiling lamp. Fortunately we found it out on proper time but if didn't, definitely would continue to a big disaster.

Perfect location, comfortable bedding.

There was nothing I did not like the place. However, make sure you come out of the right Metro Exit. There is a metro exit in front of the hotel, but if you go out of the wrong exit at the Brixa-Chiado station you end up walking a long way to find the hotel.

The breakfast room was beautiful with Crystal Chandeliers and the rooms were clean. You felt like you were a King and Queen in the breakfast room. However, the rooms were fairly small in size. The location could not get any better and the staff was great. The rooms were updated with modern fixtures and hardwood floors.

• Standard Twin Room

The bathrooms in the triple occupancy Room No 505 was too small. The fittings were old and tiles didn't appear too clean. The other room however Room 508 was excellent. No complaints these

Loved the location. Was in the most happening square in Lisbon. Close to almost everything. Their lobby was too good..it was done in different themes. Even the gym was very unique. Loved the interior. Was like a photo shoot spot.

The room was very small it looks as though they have put an en-suite in a bedroom making it very small as the bathroom looked like an add on with sliding doors in the middle of the room. As it was only one night it didn't really affect us but any more than that would have been a struggle as no where to put anything.

The room was clean

• Superior Triple Room

Very rude gentleman receptionist, the hotel had a peculiar smell - rooms very dated shower not very clean - bathroom was literally in the bedroom- very noisy as wooden floors in corridors

• Standard Twin Room

We were told about the breakfast on the 2nd floor when we checked in but they neglected to remind us that our room price did not include breakfast so we were surprised at the 15 euro per person for the breakfast. We declined the hotel breakfast which looked nice but pretty normal so not worth 15 euro for us. We found a wonderful bakery just down the street on the square. Other than that "mix-up", we found nothing to complain about at this hotel.

Location is excellent being right in the center of a beautiful area of Lisbon and directly across from the metro station entrance. Our room was on the top floor. It was huge and quiet being on the courtyard in back of the building. The staff were helpful with answering our questions. They held our luggage in a secure closet after check out so we could tour Lisbon before our evening flight. We had a refridgerator in our room. The beds were comfortable with plenty of pillows and nice bedding.

it's a pity that they don't have an iron for the guests who want to iron their shirts, they do provide an ironing service though

Position is the best one could ask for, room and style of the hotel in general were all great Staff is really friendly, also the gym is small like in every hotel but muuuch better equipped than other hotels I have been

• Standard Twin Room

It's not a place I would spend any time. The location is great and the room was clean, but the hotel is nothing special. Also, this neighborhood can be loud. I wasn't bothered by it, but even with the window closed (it was winter and cold), we could hear what was going on around the corner in the plaza as if our window was wide open. So if you're sensitive to noise at night I would see if they have rooms that are quieter.

The location is great. There are tons of shops and restaurants and cafes in the neighborhood and its perfect for walking around and seeing beautifully tiled buildings as well as shopping for local products. The room was clean, just a normal, standard hotel room. It did not look like the ones in the photos, but there wasn't anything wrong with it. The bathroom was pretty tight, but basically clean.

• Standard Twin Room

There was a terrible smell in the lifts and corridors throughout the hotel. It smelt of damp and was rather pungent to the extend where you'd attempt to hold your breath from the lobby until you got to your room. There was no iron available but you could pay for your clothes to be ironed. It was cheap £2 for a shirt and £3 for trousers - not that bad but not ideal. I would suggest opting for another hotel as this isn't exactly a budget option and you'd expect it not to stink literally.

The location of the hotel is ideal, very close to the metro and one of the main squares in Lisbon.

• Standard Twin Room

The thinnest room wall I have experienced. All the whispers from the adjacent room could be heard clearly.

Location is just great, especially for those who visit Lisbon for the first time. (For your reference, It was my eighth visit to Lisbon) In front of the hotel, there is an ascensor to Baixa, and a tram stop. The most prestigious shops in Lisbon are next to the hotel, and many restaurants are within just a few minute's walk.

The hotel was in a brilliant location with plenty of restaurants nearby. It was very clean and the room modern looked like it had just been refurbished. Power shower was lovely and hot, comfy beds.

• Superior Double Room with Chiado View

Staff attitude Lack of amenities - asked for water - told ‘no’ Smell of damp in the corridor Bad smell of drains in bathroom/bedroom Room size for **superior** room

• Standard Twin Room

Very small towels too small. Door to bathroom didn't shut properly. Light in bathroom was on the ther side of the room so difficult if you had to,get up in the night.

It's needs some renovation. Lounge should be larger. Something was wrong with breakfast taste. No taste at all.

Location near city centre was great. Not far from Metro stations. Breakfast room eas really nice and selection ok for Southern Europe.

Unfortunately, breakfast was the same every morning. (We stayed four nights). A little menu change every few days would have been great.

Our third-floor room came with a balcony facing the street (Rua Garrett is a pedestrian street in this part of Lisbon). Yes, a little loud in the evenings, but the street musicians added to the atmosphere.

• Standard Triple Room

We were given a room that hadn't been renovated when we arrived and it was nothing like the pictures on booking.com. It had a broken fridge, old saggy beds, dirt in the corners. There was a bit of an unpleasant smell when you enter the hotel - like sewer but could be masonry in the back lobby. Thankfully 3 of 4 nights were spent in a nice renovated room.

The location couldn't be better, in a beautiful neighbourhood in Lisbon with very easy access to cabs, public transit and other neighbourhoods.

• Standard Twin Room

the room we have is super small, maybe we checkin in late and they allocate a small room? I don't know.

very good location, right in the city center

• Standard Triple Room

The hotel needs a clean and the staff could be a little more friendly. There is an area if you find it yourself to make a coffee - though you need to ask for water to fill the jug, there is no milk and no where to wash out a cup - unless you take it up to your room.

The location of the hotel was excellent. Coffee and cafes both sides of the hotel though don't open until 8 am.

Everything else! Staff was rude and unprofessional (we asked for help for a broken window and they told us to, I quote, “Fix it ourselves” - the aircon remote was missing and they did not provide another one; only when asked for it, they offered another room which was very noisy even though a bit more modern than the first one). Pictures are misleading. The location is great but very noisy as there are music artists playing and signing in the square. But the worst was the Staff! We saw them arguing with multiple customers in only 3 days. Unbelievable. We checked 3 rooms and all of them were NOT EVEN CLOSE to the pics on booking.com. DO NOT GO THERE!!!!

Location. But still not good enough to cover the rudeness and unprofessionalism of the staff.

• Standard Twin Room

- The breakfast was OK, but nothing changed during the 7 nights we spent there. And I mean nothing. You'll find: warm boiled eggs and omelette, sausages, ham, cheese (one type of each), various types of bread, two types of pastries, jam, a few fruits, yogurt, cereal and, of course, milk, coffee, tea and juice. - The bathroom is incredibly small. If you're extra tall, you need to be limber to use the toilet comfortably. - There is nothing in the bathroom to hang towels on. Also, there's nothing in the shower to put your toiletries on. It's fun to watch them float on the shower's floor. If you're tall enough, you can place the small bottles on top of the shower cabin. If you're short, floating it is. Here's a bonus point, though: the towels are changed every day. It is wasteful, but since there's no way to hang them to dry, it's also useful. - The hotel staff isn't exceedingly helpful. Nothing too unpleasant, but don't expect them to go above and beyond to make your stay better.

I got to the property expecting the worse. I read tons of reviews that spoke of unfriendly staff, poor cleaning or bad breakfast. I encountered neither (at least nothing bad enough to truly inconvenience me). We spent one week at Borges Chiado. Here's what I liked best: - Location. Trust me, you'll want to invest in a central hotel in Lisbon. Since there are what seems like millions of hills in the city, it's important to have easy access to/from your hotel, especially if you like to walk. - The subway station is literally 5 steps away from the hotel. - The bed is very comfy. - We were there in winter, but it was rather warm outside, so the temperature inside was perfect -- we didn't need AC or heating. - Our room (403) was very quiet. But we were lucky enough to have a room facing a small street. I'm pretty sure that those who face the main street (again, dead in the middle of Lisbon) aren't as quiet. If you need quiet to sleep, ask for a room that doesn't face the main, busy street.

• Standard Triple Room

The room we got was far from what we expected and it didn’t not even come close to the room on the photos. Eventually we were upgraded to a better room but we had to ask hotel staff several times.

The location is great and it’s easy to get to most sightseeing places by foot

We ordered two superior double rooms with balconies. But was shown two small standard rooms with no balconies, one with a single window against a smelly backyard chess. Spend almost an hour trying to change rooms a arrival, almost succeed next day. This facilities is written in the rooms description, but was nowhere to find: No coffee/tee maker, No sofa in rooms No desk Needed to asked for fresh towels Only one rooms 30m2 other room was tiny 15-20 m2 On the hotels web superior double rooms including balconies. No big deal, but we choosed to pay extra... You should really concern updating description and pictures of the rooms at booking.com for this hotel!

Located in the very heart of Lisbon

• Superior Double Room with Chiado View

Very noisy. Reception useless re the noise. My husband went to talk to the musicians in the street himself - at 00.30! No lock at all on the bathroom door - not a problem as we are a long-married couple - but sometimes..... a little privacy would be good.

No complain

We arrived very early , the guy from reception said we have to wait until 2 pm once there was no room available for an earlier check in. About 20 minutes later the this guy left and a very nice young lady named Milena ( or similar name ) came to the reception. She asked for our passport and checked in immediately. She is very nice, polite and professional . For sure the way she receive the guests makes difference on this hotel .

• Standard Twin Room

A bright, clean, modern hotel with friendly staff. A short walk from most of the best sights. I would definitely recommend it. Forty minutes from the airport by metro is another plus point.

The room we first got #213 is claustrophobic and very dated. Front desk gave us another room with little more space but also very old and dated. Beds were two singles put together (annoying when u traveling with your partner and nothing romantic about this hotel at all. The blankets on top of the bedding were out of the olden days and smelled like dust. The shower didn’t have hot water..so the nxt morning we changed again to another room. Same old furniture and dated. socket came out of the wall with loose hanging cables. Dangerous to use. The breakfast is not so good either. Plain cheese and processed ham. Sticky scrambled eggs and the whole buffet looks like ur in a school Cantine. I guess you pay for the great location but I would not stay there again unless u get an superior room For the same price..to have at least a little bit more modern room and better beds.

Location is a big plus But rest was average. I know they have a few Nice rooms ea like the superior (#328) Friendly staff at breakfast

• Standard Triple Room

No tea or coffee making facilities. We could get tea and coffee downstairs from a machine for 1 euro. No tissues in the room.

Location was good. Taxis and public transport nearby. Have to walk a short distance to the hotel. Reception staff could have been a bit friendlier but the young porter who was on the morning of the 3rd December was very friendly and helpful. There was 3 of us and our room was very spacious.

• Standard Twin Room

What we did not like was after being told several months ago if room was available they would upgrade us. When we checked in we were indeed given an upgraded room but after being out all day and exploring the city when we got back we found out we were locked out of our room and were told we needed to move right away because there was a water problem- not in our room but on the floor below- it made no sense. We asked if we could stay in the room and they could work on it during the day when we were out but we were told over and over we had to leave the room even though we had settled in after a long flight. We asked for some type of compensation at that time and were told we could get a credit. The next morning we had no choice but to leave and move to a different room after again being told that no one would be able to move into this room as work had to be done on it. We went back the later in the day to see how the work was coming along and it was nothing being done. We then went back again the next day check on the work and come to find out someone had checked into that room! To the hotel they have given us a comparable room to move to but clearly it was not as nice or upgraded as the one we had to leave. So indeed the front desk came up with some type of story to have us vacate the room and take away our upgrade so they could make more money on the room! To us this is dishonest and unethical and we do not appreciate being lied to. I have emailed the hotel three times asking for a response and still have not heard a word. I would give this hotel high score except for this incident which is leaving quite a bad taste with us. Maybe after this review someone will finally respond to our emails?

The location was perfect to explore Lisbon! Great central area with lots to do within walking distance. No issues with the property itself. It has everything you need and is clean. The breakfast was definitely adequate to start your day.

• Superior Triple Room

The staff was amazing! very friendly and helpful. The rooms are big and oversized. The facilities were clean and neat. I loved the lounge area... it is very cozy and peaceful. But the best part of the hotel is the location. It is right in Chiado, where all the action is. Shopping, music and food are all there.

• Standard Twin Room

Our room was close to stair in the morning was slightly noisy !

Prime location , renovated to modern style ,clean room, beautiful lobby/ great hosekeeping ,friendly staff got great advise for side seeing from staff .defiantly will go back to this hotel next time.

Staff is unprepared, very slow, bad in english, some of them even not polite. Breakfast was medium variate, same every day, food cooked with no salt. Noisy hotel in the evenings, even at 12 in the night, due to street singing, bagging. Noisy at 8 in the morning due to staff cleaning. Old hotel, rooms would need an upgrade. Lifts are very slow.

Location, old city center, a few meters from Metro&Bus Stations, evening singing in front of the hotel. Nice breakfast room and bar rooms. Bathroom spacious and upgraded.

• Standard Twin Room

Hotel's location is really perfect and located near metro station. Reaching the hotel is very easy from airport. room is quite enough for two and very clean and also bed is very comfortable. you can reach everywhere by walking around the city center. If you want to go to out of city like Belem or Sintra, you have to walk 10 min from hotel to train station.

Breakfast was quite limited for the price we had to pay for it. When we first arrived the hotel did not have extra blankets or iron in our room and we had to ask for it. The lock in one of the rooms we booked was a bit broken at first. Corridors smelled funny. Since this is a busy area there was a bit of noise outside our window, which, however, stopped around midnight, so it was not a big issue.

The location was PERFECT!! Right in the center of Lisbon action with all restaurants, shops, and bars within walking distance. Could not recommend more. Hotel was clean, entrance smelled great, the staff was polite and accommodating. Our room was quite spacious. The hotel has some really impressive parts (e.g. gym) which we discovered by accident as we stayed in a different part of the premises. It is right on the subway exit!

• Superior Twin Room with Chiado View

My room way above the reception that was playing music 24/7 through speakers integrated in the ceiling. As a result, the bass was audible in my room all the time no matter how low the volume was. I called the reception at 1.30 am in the night asking to put the music out which only happended after the second time I called around 1.45 am. At 3.00 am they put the music on again. This really did not help me with getting a good night's sleep and is actually quite unacceptable behaviour by the night staff.

Great location. Really nice, recently renovated common facilities downstairs.

Staff very unfriendly. No eye contact or friendly greeting when coming in or going out. When we said hello giot a grudging response. Complained about the temperature of the water in the shower which was lukewarm. The hot breakfast items were a disgrace. Bolied eggs put back day after day and conjealed scrambled eggs left out for hours. Not refreshed.

Very small bathroom (the sink was outside the bathroom). We didn't like the breakfast- we only had it once and then went outside the hotel for breakfast the other mornings. Staff were not overly helpful or friendly. We got some laundry done (extremely expensive for 3 star hotel) and asked as well as wrote on the laundry order that 2 t-shirts be air dried. Even though they said they would, it was clear that they were put in the dryer and the t-shirts had shrunk a little (which is what we wanted to avoid). Overall, it was an average hotel for the price paid.

Location was excellent with the train station just outside. Spacious room.

• Superior Twin Room

A bit noisy and a few of the staff are not very friendly.

Very centrally located and it's on a walk street where everything is happening. Plus good value.

Browse Hotel Borges Chiado traveller photo gallery