Reviews of Hotel Botanico 3 stars

Rua da Mãe de Água, 16-20, Santo Antonio, 1250-156 Lisbon, Portugal

#196 of 329 hotels in Lisbon

Bed could be better

Great staff front desk was top notch service. This was the third places I stayed in Lisbon and was the best thanks to there staff.

• Double or Twin Room

Just as they say your cant have everything and the only down side is the step walk from the Main Street back up the hill to the hotel but the solution is tuk tucks or the freindly cabbies.

I liked the helpful friendly staff with 40 rooms a small hotel like this supplies the personal touches set in a quiet neighbourhood close to the Main Street bus and tram stops handy for the corner store and a selection of restuaraunts and a bonus is a laundry mat 3 mins walk drop off and come back all washing done !

The second room was quite small and the view from the window was not nice - a run down area marginally depressing for my friend. But he coped admirably. Everything else was good and what we expected. I had difficulty understanding the billing arrangements, and the charming staff were limited in English. I paid but I wasn't totally sure what I was paying for. However, I trusted them.

Everyone was friendly and my room (mean for two but I was alone in it) was lovely and spacious.

Front desk staff can be more helpful n friendly. There is a garbage truck that came by to collect garbage very early in the morning (around 1am plus) can be noisy. Lastly, there was only night curtain without day curtain.

Cleanliness

• Double or Twin Room

Pet peeve: no shelf in shower to put soap or shampoo so constantly have to bend down to use them. Rooms are very plain. Only one pillow supplied. If this place was re-decorated, it would be awesome. Outrageous price for the quality we got. At least 1.5 times as much as a 4-star hotel we had stayed in a week beforehand in Lisbon. We felt ripped off. Never had a chance to go back to booking.com, as I know the price went down by the time we got there.

Location was convenient, seems like a young and hip neighborhood. Rooms very clean. Complimentary port wine upon arrival. Breakfast buffet was OK. Very good croissants and other pastries.

• Double or Twin Room

Everything was really fine.

The staff at the reception were extremely friendly and helpful. I received good tips for restaurants and an extra socket block to allow for extra electronic charging. We were allowed to use the reception / lobby for a TV show with friends. The location of the hotel is also perfect.

The windows face into peoples houses so you need to keep the curtains shut when getting changed, this isn't a problem at all but can make it a bit dark if you like a bright airy room.

Friendly staff, great shower and perfect location and all for a really good price.

All good No bad remarks

Perfect location. Free parking and friendly staff. Drinks on arrival. Room has aircon and comfy beds. Great Hotel for a good price

• Double or Twin Room

Didn’t really get to see were it was in proximity to everything that you do want to see in old town Lisbon. Would suggest that this is probably the best location just for a quick sleep and dinner in a nearby restaurant on the street. Would suggest removing the duvet covers, and just having a clean fresh white sheet over a duvet. Makes it feel a bit cleaner and more updated. Simple and inexpensive fix.

The check in person was wonderful very friendly very helpful and assisted with the bags. The hotel has parking right in front of the hotel reserved just for hotel guests. There are two elevators when you can load bags the other you. When he found that we had a lot of luggage he moved us to a larger room that had more space for our suitcases and us. Very large bathroom, very large room, the basics but very useful for us when we were needing a place to stay for the last night before we flew out early in the morning. Great Indian restaurant just down the street since you might be tired of eating Portuguese food on your last night .... The hotel served it’s purpose allowing us for an inexpensive last night, with assistance of getting a cab at 3:15 in the morning. Thank you for your wonderful support and service team.

• Double or Twin Room

3 *** can be a 3- or 3+, this hotel was a 3- Very noicy. First night gave us a wrong room, then made it up by giving us a free breakfast which was oke. Must walk a very steep hill to reach the hotel. They had some parfum in de lobby, could be annoing for allergic people.

Friendly staff. Clean. Good tv.

• Double or Twin Room

Glass door between the room and the bathroom

The breakfest was amazing with a lot of really jummy fresh frusit, the staff was helpful and the location good.

I think the television should have more channels and a little more quality. I think also that should exist a radio or something to play our music.

I loved specially the fruit mango and the mini croissants, it's really tasty!! The bed it's like a cloud I had a very nice rest here.

• Double or Twin Room

Very friendly and helpful staff. Excellent location, near the center and the Bairro Alto neighbourhood, with cozy restaurants and fado clubs. Large and comfortable room.

• Double or Twin Room

I requested a double bed in my room but that was not received even after I extended my stay. I was promised that I would have the bed in my room.

Food was great and staff were good.

• Double or Twin Room

No sound isolation. Want it or not, you'll wake up with the construction workers around the building, and with the housekeeping doing their morning tasks. Also realised (I work in the area), no dusting in corners,behind the tv, ceiling, fingerprints on the window. -Soundproofing -Cleanliness

For the price paid, the expectations were really low. It's located in the heart of the city, so we couldn't believe in the price. Reception service was good, the room was very nice, and also the bathroom. We were also very surprised by the fact we dida late check out without charges. -Location -Service -Price -Facilities

• Double or Twin Room

The room was big and comfortable, with a lot of light. And the situation is really good, near the beautiful views from Principe Real and the cheerful streets of Bairro Alto.

Its a great Hotel and they have a lovely Breakfast served. The staff is Polite and helpful. Though found it Little costly, I think i just loved being here and in Lisboa.

• Double or Twin Room

This hotel is more central, with a much bigger room and a nicer bathroom than the other hotel we stayed in our first 2 days in Lisbon yet, we couldn't wait to go back to the other hote,l even if we had to pay more: the staff really needs to learn how to deal with people, they were not rude or aggressive, just "doing their job" in an uninterested and bored way. The breakfast room was also soulless, the room itself and the service. There were also lots of small flies near the milk jar and juices at the buffet.

Very nice location, close to shops, metro and christmas fair. Nice size room and bathroom.

• Double or Twin Room

Room decor was outdated and dark, but room was very clean and had all facilities we needed.

Great view of Lisbon from our room (5th floor). Convenient location for reaching Principe Real (through a long set of stairs) and city centre (down a hill).

Everything was great!Frendly stuff,clean and cozy room,very calme,without noise from the street.I didn’t spend many time in hotel,but when I was here,I was enjoying.

• Double or Twin Room

Don't expect the view. You can have a room with view but it's located in quite packed area so not that good view and uncompatable to watching through the windows. And there is only one plug in the room..it's not enough for 2 people to use everyday...

Friendly and kind staff. Clean room.

• Double or Twin Room

The staff was very helpful, really went out of their way to make our stay extra comfortable and helped us with tours and directions. It was very clean, really well located and super friendly.

• Double or Twin Room

Need wall mounted shower. Water warm but not hot enough. Price too high for room. Nice staff. Would not let me borrow iron. Said I had to go to laundry room.

• Double or Twin Room

Beds were pretty basic & not the most comfortable.

Staff at the desk were friendly, I had a pretty large corner room that had a nice view out onto the street, spacious bathroom, and fast wi-fi. I was also happy to find a small neighborhood (just up the street and up a few flights of stairs...maybe a 5-10 minute walk) with a ton of great, busy restaurants nearby.

We have ordered a room for 3 adult persons, although one bed wasn't a standard bed it was little bit shorter. But room was large enough for 3 people. We stayed 6 nights, but there weren't enough closets to store our clothes. The wood of closets was little bit worn.

The hotel staff was very polite and helpful. Receptionist gave us solid introduction to the city trips, he printed documents for us and called us a taxi, when we needed. The hotel is in convenient location as a starting point for trips, ten minutes walking to Rossio train station, 12 minutes to the Santa Justa Lift, 13 minutes to Praca Figueira. The breakfast was standard european bufet type breakfast, with wide variety of pastry and fruits, yogurt scrambled, cheese, ham eggs etc. The room was clean and had a nice view from windows.

• Double or Twin Room

Long steep uphill from the station if walking up, might be challenging for people with restricted mobility. (Hotel itself has lift though)

Very nice rooms, clean, great aircon in the summer heat. Walkable from Avenida metro station, not too far from the city centre. Delightful stay

Staff called for me a taxi. That taxi driver charged double of the regular price! (How do I knew?). I forgot my passport & money in the safe box, room #44. I held a taxicab come back to the hotel to pick up my belongings. Identical timing & traffic & route. 7€ vs 14€ (rounded €) !!!

Good location at a reasonable price

I would not recommend this hotel for solo travels (like me) who also explore the nightlife in Lisbon. The hotel outside door is manually locked after midnight, and getting in and out to hotel during the night can be an issue if the front guy is gone to do his own things. Your guests who you might bring in are not expected.

Hotel is in an excellent location, right next to old town tourist and shopping area and Bairro Alto. Rooms are great, rooms have incredible views from 5th floor to the town Castle and Old town. Cleaning staff is amazing, really did great job!

• Double or Twin Room

We stayed for a few days here and it's a great place to stay, suitable for city-visits. Location is very good, in walking-distance from several landmarks but also close to metro station. Close to some restaurants (also vegan options).

• Double or Twin Room

Great location- quick down hill walk to metro or easy walk to other tourist areas. Delicious breakfast- good coffee and lots of food choices. Front desk staff- very helpful in showing us the important sites and foods to try in our 2 days in Lisbon. Also helped us arrange a car rental. Would highly recommend staying here!

Room size was a bit small (it worth to note that my room type was "single" and it is possible that double or twin rooms are larger). Aircond was fixed just above the bed, which can be dangerous for health if you leave it "on" and without controlling whole night. As this is the case for entire list of Lisbon hotels, the price is high here as well.

Location, room facilities and staff behavior was excellent. Special thanks to Oscar (Gentleman at the registration desk) for kind assistance and advise. Room was clean and well aired. Breakfast was ok.

• Reviewed: 28 April 2017

Would have liked coffee in rooms but this is not common on the continent and does not deter from the overall standard of the hotel which was very good.

Friendly reception. Very clean rooms with efficient air conditioning, Excellent breakfasts.

• Double or Twin Room

The mattress is too hard! The noise from the elevators.

Location is perfect. It's quiet, apart from the noise of the elevators, but it all depends on how sensitive you are to that. From the 5th floor you have a view of the castle from some of the rooms.

• Reviewed: 14 April 2017

• Double or Twin Room

Wi- fi struggled to get any signal. They can't do anything about flattening out the hills In Lisbon, stay here if you want good value, clean and friendly hotel

The staff were very good and helpful, both at reception and the breakfast room. We were pleased with the choice at breakfast, fruit, cooked/cold choices, good fresh rolls. We found the trek up the hill from the metro quite a trial, (pensioners) younger people would get on far better, but it isn't far, nor to the bus stop along the next road. If we suddenly dropped 10 years off our age we would stay again!

No comfortable seat in thd room to read books when outside is rainy. They dong hsvd sport or massage or similar facility.

The breskfast anc the prople

• Double or Twin Room

The room is a bit small but it's fine for two people.

We were in room 55 on the top floor with the best view! The location is excellent. The room is clean and quiet, and the staff are very nice and helpful. Very good value for money!

• Reviewed: 24 March 2017

• Double or Twin Room

Hotel is located in the center of Lisboa. 5 minutes walk to Rossi square and 10 minutes walk to very nice viewpoint. We came very early in the morning to this hotel, but staff let us in our room.

• Reviewed: 14 March 2017

Nothing, eveeything is very good.

Very clean, kind staff, good location between nigt life area and all city centar. If I come to Lisbon again, I will chose the same hotel.

• Reviewed: 11 March 2017

• Double or Twin Room

The view was poor at back side of hotel, bed was also too firm. No plug for bath tub. Room is a Little bit small.

Room was very clean, nice tv, free wifi & staff very helpful.

• Reviewed: 23 February 2017

One of our room beds were not comfortable, its the just one we are not satisfied.

Location is pretty good, Staff is so friendly. Ricardo was so helpfull, he and Francisco helped for all things we need, Ricardo was also good guide for us:) Thanks for Gina as well, she was lovely woman who was providing breakfast service.. I highly suggest this place, its not easy to find a place with reasonable price , good location and friendly staff.

• Reviewed: 21 February 2017

The room seemed to be a little out dated with the old furniture. The bed was too small for me being 6'2"

It was a very quite location only about a 7 minute walk to the nearest train station. Lots of good restaurants around to choose from. Air Conditioning worked great. The breakfast was fantastic with fresh mango even in the morning.

• Reviewed: 17 February 2017

• Double or Twin Room

We liked the constant hot water,the comfort of the beds,the overall level of hygiene and the warmth and hospitality shown to us.We could not recommend this Hotel strongly enough

• Reviewed: 15 February 2017

• Double or Twin Room

room was very small, it was really hard to find a place for a suitcase.

Staff was very friendly and helpful. location was good, we walked almost all places of interest from the hotel and the restaurant and nightlife area barrio alto was 5 min. on foot. cleanness was perfect. wi fi was strong and travellers by car this is important: they have free parking place! (otherwise you have to pay 15 euro per night). I advice the place

• Reviewed: 15 February 2017

Having to unexpectedly pay 6 euro hotel tax on checkout

Impecable cleanliness throughout. Friendly and very helpful staff (especially Oscar). Generous breakfast.

• Reviewed: 12 February 2017

• Double or Twin Room

The bathroom, especially the shower, was a bit cramped and small. I asked for a room with a double bed and got a room with two singles. The single bed was not very comfortable at all.

Breakfast was more than adequate. Good selection of things. Front desk staff was pleasant and helpful. Hotel is in a good location but, it is quite a hike up a steep street to get to it.

• Reviewed: 8 February 2017

separate beds :/

the situation of the hotel, the welcome with a glass of juice or water or porto, the kindness of the staff, the free wifi excellent.

• Reviewed: 6 February 2017

good location, just a few minutes walking distance from Rossio square and Rossio station from where you can take the train for a one-day tour to Sintra, Dabo da Roca and Cascais. The staff is very kind.

• Reviewed: 3 February 2017

• Double or Twin Room

There were no slippers in the rooms and this a little disappointing. When we asked the stuff, they said we can buy our own form the shops. We could have bring ours if we knew this, anyway.

As we travelled as a family, the most imported thing for us was security. The hotel is just 1 min away from Avenida de Liberdade which is like the main street of Lisbon center. You can easily walk to everywhere, Rossio, Bairo Alto, Ciado, etc., within minutes with no trouble. The rooms where big enough and cleaned everyday. Sheets and beddings are cleaner than most of the starred hotels and bathroom was indeed perfect in size and cleanness. Other than that, there was a huge tv in the room with lots of Portuguese channels. And they air portuguese subtitled american movies and tv shows so it was okay, too. There are lots of shops and markets around.

• Reviewed: 1 February 2017

• Double or Twin Room

NO Tea/coffee facilities in the room. Very sad! NO plug connectors by the bed. Wardrobe and office table need to be upgraded matching room decors.

Cleanliness, professional staffs, good service at reception and house keeping. Great location and Value for money.

• Reviewed: 16 January 2017

• Double or Twin Room

Really perfectly fine clean safe comfortable hotel. Great staff, super breakfast. 15 minute 15 euro ride to airport. 15 minute walk to Plaza Comercial. 15 paces to wine bar, tavern, mini market. Bed a bit hard bit, otherwise super!

The room was very cold until I could figure out the remote.

It is on a dead end street so was very quiet with no street noise and no noise from other guests. It is close to the Avenida Metro station, about a 5 minute walk. There are restaurants and convenience stores nearby. A short hike up the steps will take you to Principe Real and Bairro Alto.

• Reviewed: 24 December 2016

bed could have been more comfortable. but was OK.

Staff GREAT!!! very helpful with direction, and overall made my stay very comfortable. Good location for main sights. Will stay again.

• Reviewed: 20 December 2016

There was some construction work in a building opposite which was noisy during the day.

This was a great option for central Lisbon. There are plenty of bars and shops in the local area but the hotel's street is not particularly noisy or busy. The hotel was clean and comfortable. The wifi was good. The staff were friendly and helpful. The TV had many channels.

• Reviewed: 12 December 2016

• Double or Twin Room

the rooms need a renewal (old fashioned). Bathroom cleaning could be improved

Breakfast is very good Staff is very friendly and helpful Location is good

• Reviewed: 6 December 2016

Dear housekeeping, "Do not disturb" means.. do not disturb. Do not enter the room.

* The room (14) was comfortable and clean, the hotel is good-located. * The receptionists were kind and helpful. (Thanks Mr. Fernando!)

• Reviewed: 6 December 2016

The furniture in the room we stayed could do with some modernazing... Although we didn't care much: we were out all day and everything in the hotel was clean and proper anyway.

The room (for 3 people) was spacious. Being on the top floor and having a wall of glass (huge windows, that is) it offered a great view of the city. Staff was friendly and helpful and the location was quiet but still central.

• Reviewed: 28 November 2016

• Double or Twin Room

Things could have been cleaner, for example there was in the mildew on the shower. Also the beds were very firm, and when you move the mattress protector squeaks. The pillows weren't very fluffy, we had to pile two or three onto each other and I usually one like one pillow.

There was an elevator, tiny, but it did the trick. The location was good a bit away from the main street but only a few minutes walk to get to things. They provided a baby play pen, which was very convenient.

• Reviewed: 13 November 2016

The hotel is nicely located between the lower and upper parts of the center tourist areas. I loved how polite and helpful was the staff, the breakfast was very good with lots of fresh fruits. Nice bathroom and cozy beds, everything very clean.

• Reviewed: 8 October 2016

Wifi can be better.

Location is good but its on a hill so some daily exercise walking up. Gentleman at reception was very kind to get a room ready for us when we checked in early from an overnight travel. Free water and orange drink in the lobby was nice after a hot day out

• Reviewed: 19 July 2016

The hairdryer is not great (as with most hotels). Bring your own.

Clean, excellent staff, amazing location. This isn't a luxury hotel, but it's perfect for those who want to spend their holiday out and about in Lisbon, and just need a clean, comfortable place to end the day.

• Reviewed: 15 July 2016

• Double or Twin Room

WiFi could have been a little less dodgy, but other than that, absolutely no complaints :)

Amazing location Nice and comfortable rooms Wonderfully friendly and very helpful staff Welcoming drinks on arrival, which was a lovely touch, as the location is a little way uphill, which was hot work with the suitcases.

• Reviewed: 9 July 2016

• Double or Twin Room

Air conditioner so noisy we couldn't get any sleep & boiled if if wasn't turned on.

Good location. Near train station & central to everything.

• Double or Twin Room

Website said breakfast was included

• Double or Twin Room

Very nice person at the reception. They gave us so kind information

• Double or Twin Room

Very close to the metro and main attractions in Lisbon were a short walk away

Nice place

Well placed , good breakfast

old hotel

Location and Cleanliness

• Double or Twin Room

It was comfortable, helpful staff and within easy walking distance of main hub for Lisbon.

The breakfast was great!

• Double or Twin Room

Not cheap for a basic room. Rooms in upper floor was very hot during the day.

Great location. Hotel staff were very friendly.

• Double or Twin Room

The room and the bed was small than we expected. But It was enough for a honeymoon couple!

The breakfast was good enough. The Staff are friendly!

The location looked rough. Would not like to walk late at night

Aircondition..comfy bed

• Double or Twin Room

Was a bit loud during daytime.

Nice little hotel with exelent location. Good breakfast, helpfull staff.

• Double or Twin Room

Our stay was great. Our room was on the fourth floor, and the view was nice. We would definitely come back if we had the opportunity to:)

All was great!

Amazing vlue for money! Incedibole to get for central in the city and new clean place and comfortable at this price hotel!

Browse Hotel Botanico traveller photo gallery