Casa do Anquiâo is the perfect location to spend a couple...

Casa do Anquiâo is the perfect location to spend a couple of days in a quiet and cosy environment. Everything is very tidy and clean, the breakfast is amazing with fresh and local products. The staff is very very friendly!!!! I totally recommend this place!

Excellent experience we where sorry we didn't book more nights, tremendous value.

Pillows were a little hard (better than many places though) so my wife asked and received a softer one, usually does - it's obviously a personal preference but I think comfortable pillows are essential to a good nights sleep.

Wonderful place, great pool, great quiet location and excellent breakfast with freshly cooked produce. pancakes, scrambled egg and bacon, a few strawberries on one morning presumably because they had ripened in the gardens. I would guess the food varies through seasons. The juice was fresh and all breakfast was better than 2 highly rated four star hotels we also stopped at in the region. Our room was large and very clean with a lounge, bedroom and separate bathroom, patio doors to a terrace with excellent country views, to large pool, orchard, pond and Golf fairway. We easily found the place, as there is a sign by the road exits,( N201 or N307 as I recall) and then again at the property. Getting out and about to places like Pont De Lima, Braga or National park area was easy.

Beautiful but isolated.

Isolated

This is a difficult review as this is a wonderful old Portuguese mansion full of antiques and in many ways a wonderful place to stay. I was walking the Camino so the location was not good and you need to get a taxi from Ponte da Lima. The place is run by old retainers with only Portuguese so communication is difficult. The house is very comfortable and private but in a quite isolated albeit beautiful place. You need a car as apart from breakfast there is no food or drink and the nearest restaurant is at the golf club a couple of miles away. Breakfast is very very good.

Disappointed because it could have been a very nice stay, but it simply didn´t work for me.

I arrived at the place at 2 PM, check-in time, but was only introduced into the hotel about 1 hour later. There was no one at the premises. The housekeeper had gone for groceries and didn´t arrive on time. Breakfast is served at 8:30. Too late for me.

The establishment is a Count´s house, very nice décor, lots of room, fireplace, living room, big bed, and nice surroundings.

• Reviewed: 20 August 2017

Personally I would not return due to the inadequacies of the accomodation.

The first room we had was dark inadequate natural and artificial lighting and had inadequate ventilation we complained and move to second room which was bigger and at least had a half height standard sized window but suffered from the same lack of ventilation.

The location and grounds were excellent and the house was beautiful in terms of architectural features. Breakfast was good home made food,

Authentic Portuguese country retreat
    • Double Apartment

This place can be hard to find, GPS coordinates on satnav a must. On first arrival it is rather confusing as there are no "reception" signs and the entrance from the road is actually at the rear of the property but we eventually found our way through. Our Portuguese is very poor & no one at the property spoke any English so check in was an experience in itself. There are no facilities here for food or drink after breakfast (our 2 small bottles of water on day 1 were not replenished) and there are no amenities within walking distance so come prepared (there is a small fridge in the room).

Fabulous views, lovely grounds and swimming pool. A very peaceful place after visiting Santiago!

A place fit for royalty!

Nothing could be better than this!

This was the most amazing place I've every stayed at! It was like a dream! Driving up to the magnificent property, I had to pinch myself...too good to be true! The property was like the garden of Eden, the house was like a museum, the staff was like a favorite aunt, the food was fresh and homemade, -and the town nearby was the best. I bragged to all my friends about this place.

We were delighted with all aspects of our stay.

A bit difficult to find.

Room very spacious, clean and comfortable. Food excellent.

• Reviewed: 22 August 2016

Stunning place

What an amazing place to go and see and stay yes it's out the way but well worth the taxi ride out of town

There are also 2 reviews without text. These impact the overall review score.