Reviews of Hotel do Carmo 3 stars

Travessa do Rego, 10, Se, 9050-018 Funchal, Portugal

#42 of 71 hotels in Funchal

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The picture of Walt Disney with Mickey Mice dominated the bedroom. A bit bizarre but otherwise room was good.

Retro style a bit dated but liked the overall feel. Staff were very helpful and friendly.

Nothing to report.

Staff were very helpful and friendly. The hotel is is close to all local shops and restaurants the rooms are clean and tidy with no frills .A big plus is the view from the roof top swimming pool again clean and tidy . Breakfast is what you expect from a 3 star hotel and plenty of it .

• Double or Twin Room with Balcony

Breakfast was rather unimaginative. Hardly any variation.

Excellent location, very close to all the city attractions and public transport. Nice pool and sun deck with views. Helpful staff.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The breakfast was very good with cold and warm dishes. The location was close to everything. The staff was very helpful and nice, helped us write out timetables for buses and booked guided trips.

• Standard Single Room

Professional, multilingual staff. Great rates, spotlessly clean, comfortable and spacious rooms. Rooftop pool and terrace with panoramic views. Full restaurant and bar.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

No balcony in our room but we did have a lovely view.

For a £50 per night hotel it was incredible value. I particularly liked the roof garden with the little private cubicles with sofas in them. The staff were extremely friendly and welcoming.They had 2 English TV news channels which we are currently missing in a much more expensive hotel.Was very central in Funchal and was an easy walk to being right in the centre.They also served good evening meals which doesn't always happen in a cheaper hotel.The room was a good size and the bed was comfortable. Would definitely go again.

• Double or Twin Room with Balcony

Lack of fridge in the room, door lock difficult to open.

Perfect location, perfect cleaning, extremely helpfull staff, nice pool with the view. Ideal if you do not need a beach to stay and weant to be in the center of things..

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Bed mattresses were in need of a change as the springs were quite worn out. The hotel rooms have really no ventilation so the air gets quite heavy if you do not open the windows and if you do some mosquitos will come in, but you can open them during the day and close before nightfall. There is some construction going on in the vicinity. There are no free parking spots but you can park quite close by on Avenida Santiago Menor which has a lot of free parking places. The hotel staff did not want to tell us which streets have free parking to be able to sell the payed parking so we had to drive all the nearby streets through first ourselves to find out.

Wi-fi was great and breakfast had an ok variety of sorts. The whole hotel had a good design to it and felt modern-ish. There's a few good restaurants nearby (such as Madcuba with 6e dishes) so you do not need to walk a long way to get overcharged at the old town area. I would recommend this hotel to a friend and stay again.

• Family Room

could do with a coat of paint. but thats me being picky. Also a kettle in the room would have been nice.

reception staff was friendly and helpful. Hotel excellent location. 2 min walk to all attractions. great roof terraced swimming pool and also a small pool table. We travelled with 2 teenagers and had a family room. Hotel booked taxi for me on arrival at airport and we was greeted by a well dressed including chauffeur hat driver. Also upon arrival at hotel we were treated with a drink.

• Double or Twin Room with Balcony

I didn't like the condition of bathroom dump in the silink and also product which are available to for 2 people I for one soup and one shampoo. Also I have book double bed and I got two beds join together which they wasn't even zipped.

I did enjoy the climate of downstairs style mixture of modern and old with nice garden space. Also swimming pool is a big plus

• Double or Twin Room with Balcony

Although generally clean - there were nicotine stains in our bathroom. Maybe a fresh coat of paint is in order or a little scrub.

Hotel Do Carmo's original vintage furnishing was outstanding. I hope this never changes. Worth staying there for the ambience alone. Should we return to Funchal we will 100% stay at Hotel do Carmo. Plus staff was very helpful and friendly.

• Double or Twin Room with Balcony

The swimming pool was excellent on the roof of the hotel .The view from the hotel balcony was fantastic . The staff were great ! We couldn't ask for more

• Family Room

No a/c at the hotel it was hot but bearable

Very very good although parking was an issue only the first day after that they managed to get me a parking spot for a very good price other than that our stay at carmo was excellent the staff very helpful beyond the call of duty specially mr roberto the breakfast plentiful and well made the decor of the hotel is very nice the pool area and also the location very good you could go anywhere walking In our last trip we where not going to go to madeira at all it was a last minute decision and after all the traveling we didi in Portugal and Spain I think madeira is the place we will always remember with much love it is an excellent destination I will go back to madeira and of course to the hotel do carmo to which I will give 5 stars and to the island one million stars

• Double or Twin Room with Balcony

Used the accommodation for one day to bridge my travel to the airport. Could drop off my luggage early, could leave the hotel early 6.45 AM and could grab some bread and juice as breakfast. Hotel suited my purpose perfectly.

• Double or Twin Room with Balcony

can't have breakfast outside because people are smoking. The smell from cigarettes comes through into breakfast room

Healthy breakfast of boiled eggs, fresh fruit salad, warm bread, good coffee. Plenty of other food i.e. croissants, cheese ham, cereals,hot food, fresh juice. Lovely friendly staff. Plenty of places to catch the sun by pool or on terraces. Water from tap is fine to drink. Handy location for places of interest. Plenty of supermarkets/cafes nearby. Good sightseeing tours by bus or special trips out/cable cars 10 minutes away. Fabulous gardens around the city. Interesting old part of city. Incredible church interiors. Definitely will try walking lavados on my next visit. Go to the nearby new Toy Museum and the shops in the same complex. Great little art gallery there.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The view from the room was not very sexy (on a parking).

The room is very comfortable and well decorated, the swimming pool is nice and the hotel is very well localized.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Tea/coffee facilities in our room would have been very welcome

The reception staff were extremely helpful and genuinely interested in us. The terrace over looking Funchal was great

• Double or Twin Room with Balcony

All good. The only thing i would suggest is net or muslin curtains. The blackout are great but have to leave them closed all day so no daylight in the room.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The room was ok, but very small.

Great swimming pool, and lovely view from there. Near to supermarket and restaurants. Very friendly staff at reception.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

This hotel is excellent value for money. Decor is dated but clean, friendly helpful staff, nice bar, good breakfast, great location and a pool to cool down in with fabulous views.

• Reviewed: 10 June 2017

• Double or Twin Room with Balcony

I do appreciate that the 60s decoration is a design choice, but in the room it just looked rather old and shabby. The balcony was a disappointment - a metal table + two very uncomfortable hard chairs, facing an apartment block opposite, and half shielded by a louvre screen for privacy.

The staff at the hotel were absolutely lovely, welcoming and helpful. The quirkiness of the room decoration made me smile - on my wall, there was a massive print of Eusebio in action. Breakfast was very good, with plenty of choice - unfortunately, the coffee was pretty dire - and both evening meals I took at the hotel were very good. The bar and terrace outside were comfortable, gentle jazz playing in the background, and a really charming barman/waiter. And how many hotels these days change sheets + towels daily? The location isn't attractive - down a side street and overlooking a run down car park - but everything you could possibly want is within easy walking distance. And as an older woman travelling alone I felt quite safe here.

• Double or Twin Room with Balcony

Being charged €40.00 for a meal we did not ask for or wanted... Only alternative was to get a packed lunch that was a chicken salad. That had egg and cheese a bit lettuce and dry chicken. I felt ripped of as I could have got better and tastier at any supermarket for a fraction of that price. Getting a refund was not optional. It was a hidden cost that was not at all clear when booking was made. Plus no type of fridge was provided not even a cooler. (had to be hired at a fee) I have never incountered this in all my travels. Disappointed....

The food variety for breakfast was ample. The fan in the room worked well. The staff quite informative.

• Reviewed: 18 May 2017

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The breakfast was a bit lacking.

The staff was kind and attentive. Gave us important information about the island withowithout having asked for it. Clean room, great location. High value compared to the price

• Reviewed: 15 April 2017

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Breakfast not always fully stocked and more bacon would be nice. Would have liked balcony & double bed.

location for town very good. roof pool excellent facility comfortable

• Reviewed: 5 March 2017

The Hotel needs a bit of refurbishment and painter-work just to bring it up to date.

All the staff were superb in terms of being helpful, understanding and courteous. We had a triple room on floor 4 and even the housekeeping lady - Philomena was nice as well as hard working. People who carry out reviews should remember we are reviewing a 3 star hotel right in the center of Funchal and at the price - well excellent is all I can say, we would use again should we decide to return to Madeira.

• Reviewed: 3 February 2017

• Standard Single Room

There should be a computor/laptop available for an use of customers . I did not carry my laptop with me so I would have welcome a computer somewhere near the reception - especially as there is only one internet shop in Funchal to my knowledge. I think the hotel is better in reality than on booking.com presentation. It was a pleasant suprise.

I liked the retro designed and the location. It is a good place for a solo independant traveller as it near the local transport for waling trips and near to all social activities.

• Reviewed: 22 January 2017

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The pool was a bit too cold for swimming but it had an amazing view!

Comfy room with nice patio, great breakfast and location with lovely and helpful staff!

• Reviewed: 1 January 2017

• Standard Double or Twin Room

We had to change our schedule by one day, and we contacted this hotel over a week in advance, but they refused to refund just one night out of eight! The acoustics were poor too -- a woman upstairs from us in high heels sounded like a herd of elephants. One important thing: the guidebooks say that the ferry to Porto Santo island is daily. It is not. They don't run one day of the week, and they keep changing the day!

The central location is good, and the breakfast buffet was reliable. Staff were good.

• Reviewed: 11 December 2016

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The breakfast was below average, especially the orange juice was only flavor not even orange...

Perfect location. Take the room 101 with terrace to the street. The room is Hugh and nice, only to be aware is the noise of street (I do not mind). In low season I paid 45 euros with breakfast and only 4e more were for the special 101 room.

• Reviewed: 28 November 2016

Breakfast was a bit basic but for the price I really can't complain.

The reception staff were the most helpful I have met whilst travelling; polite, friendly & very informative.

• Reviewed: 30 October 2016

• Single Room with Balcony

Minor. Would have liked T and coffee equip.in room Air conditioning is probably something that needs installing.

I had a terrible accident in Madeira and spent time in a hospital. When I returned in a wheelchair the staff were kind and offered practical help. Made me a late supper and let me keep my room until Ambulance came to take me to airport. Just wished I'd had a chance to use the pool!

• Reviewed: 2 October 2016

• Double or Twin Room with Balcony

Unfortunately there was some road work just outside the hotel which was noisy during the day.

Breakfast was good. Room was nice and big and had a big balcony. Nice pool area and nice bar area.

• Reviewed: 27 September 2016

We felt that more outside facilities such as tables chairs could have been provided outside facilities were sparse and bare could have beniifitted from decoration this seemed more important due to the climate of Madeira

Hotel was efficient and clean fixtures and fittings were of a good standard staff were polite and friendly

• Reviewed: 24 August 2016

• Double or Twin Room with Balcony

the building is a little outdated

we were welcomed with a bottle of champagne, since it was our honeymoon - the staff was incredibly nice; on our departure early in the morning we got breakfast made especially for us before the regular breakfast hours; the swimming pool is small but is just what we needed and has a beautiful view on the city; the building is a little outdated but the rooms are nicely remodelled

• Reviewed: 16 August 2016

• Double or Twin Room with Balcony

Staff were poor.whole hotel needs a lift, decor wise, very 70s. Breakfast was pretty standard (get rid of the juice "machine")

Pool was a nice touch. Not huge but adequate

• Reviewed: 6 August 2016

• Double or Twin Room with Balcony

The bath is very, very narrow and the bathroom is not ventilated so there was a slight smell of damp. Not a lot of atmosphere around the pool... it was super quiet up there. One slight gripe, I was told that I should pay upon checking out but overnight they billed the card that I had used to guarantee the room. Luckily this was communicated to the other staff members and I did get a receipt but theoretically I could have been charged twice.

Excellent location and friendly staff. We only experienced a small amount of street noise given that it is a city hotel. Breakfast was fine for a short stay. Very nice pool with excellent views of the mountains.

• Reviewed: 19 July 2016

• Double or Twin Room with Balcony

Nothing-for what we needed the hotel for this was perfect

Staff were very friendly and spoke brilliant English. The rooms were cleaned everyday with fresh towels put in the bathroom. Great location, right in the old town 5 minutes walk to the cable car. Pool area is lovely.

• Reviewed: 17 July 2016

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Beds were soft, showers were very powerful which is good but the shower head is very fine resulting in quite a needle-like spray (ouch!)

Close to old town, wide choice for buffet breakfast, helpful staff, relaxing bar area, small pool with plenty of sunbathing space

• Reviewed: 5 July 2016

• Double or Twin Room with Balcony

Staff was very friendly, always trying to assist. Breakfast is standard, but plenty. The location is absolutely perfect, close to shopping area and old town, you can go anywhere by foot.

• Reviewed: 2 July 2016

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Food. Breakfast. Lounge and bar are just annoying, Gray. The bathroom is extra small.

Value for money. Near the center. Can reach every part of the City by foot.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Could have been a little better kept?

Rooftop pool and hardboiled eggs

• Family Room

It needs not only make up but full face lift

Great stuff, pool is quite nice as well.

• Family Room

Juice could have been better

Breakfast was fine and plentiful.

• Double or Twin Room with Balcony

Coffee in machine a bit bitter but added water ameliorated!

Fresh fruit and breakfast generally excellent with plenty of choice and amount

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Comfortable bed. Big window that opened, view of trees. Plenty of choice at breakfast. EXCEPTIONALLY friendly and helpful staff.

Good reception

• Family Room

No coffee making facilities in the room and no heating

Lots on offer at breakfast and constantly replenished

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Location, atmosphere ..a quiet space in the city

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Location, fantastic breakfast and friendly staff, Nadia on reception was very helpful.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Very nice welcome by hotel staff

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The welcome drink and the helpfulness of the staff

breakfast quite basic

great view and location

• Double or Twin Room with Balcony

Friendly staff. Nice location. :)

No room service

Nice staff, good food, friendly, helpful, great accomodation

• Double or Twin Room with Balcony

I was not able to plug in my mobile phone charger next to my bed.

Coffee ok.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

No air conditioning, old furniture

Excellent services, great pool, very good location

• Double or Twin Room with Balcony

Roof terrace with pool and pleasant staff

I notice ants (insects) in the washroom and the remote for the TV was not working.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

On the pictures the room looked more spacesious and modern, bathroom a bit outdated.

Location is great and the staff is very helpful and friendly.

• Family Room

Needs a lick of pain but otherwise it's brilliant

Very helpful staff. Comfy beds. Drinks delivered to the pool from a phone call. Just brilliant

• Reviewed: 27 April 2017

• Reviewed: 12 March 2017

Good 3 star hotel

variation of breakfast

Super location, very very friendly staff, always available. Lovely pool area - great views across the city

• Reviewed: 26 February 2017

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Great location. Staff very friendly and helpful. Great and plentiful breakfast. Comfortable beds.

• Reviewed: 11 December 2016

• Double or Twin Room with Balcony

Lack of hot water in room. Poor closet Layout. Electrical sockets badly placed. Green dining room the height of bad taste.

• Reviewed: 5 November 2016

Broken tiles in pool Beetles in wardrobe Damp in bathroom Smelly shower curtains Toilets in reception stank

Needs money spending on refurbishment

There is no garage.

I loved the decoration of the Hotel. The location is great and the rooms are comfortable.

• Reviewed: 27 September 2016

No air conditioning.

Breakfast was lovely. Bed really comfy and shower good too.

• Reviewed: 26 September 2016

Road work outside

Pool on the roof

• Reviewed: 28 August 2016

• Standard Double or Twin Room

There could have been more signs to the location of the hotel.

The buffet breakfast was tasty

• Reviewed: 13 August 2016

• Standard Single Room

Breakfast, no AC in the room

Location near the downtown , staff

• Reviewed: 12 May 2016

They could refurbish the bathrooms. The main room was nicely painted. The bathrooms were clean, but needed some work.

The hotel was close to the old town and the ocean. The staff were very helpful and friendly and spoke several languages. Nice swimming pool, about 15 metres, even though it was too cold to swim.

• Reviewed: 10 April 2016

They must have protection on mattress .

We like everything they are very attentive with customer. I forgot something they in the room they send by post to uk .

• Reviewed: 1 April 2016

A kettle in the room to make a cup of tea/coffee and shower gel & shampoo instead of a bar of soap in the bathroom would have been great.

The roof top terrace is great, rooms looked like on the picture so you get what you see. Location is fantastic for exploring the old town! There is parking available right next to the hotel for 6 Euros a day.

There are also 40 reviews without text. These impact the overall review score.

Browse Hotel do Carmo traveller photo gallery