Reviews of Dom Pedro Madeira 4 stars

Estrada De São Roque, 9200-126 Machico, Portugal

#21 of 28 hotels in Machico

• Double or Twin Room with Garden View

Old hotel, uncomfortable bed, rude employees, extra small parking space (max.5 cars), braun towels (clean but also at tent i hat white towels)

Clean room, good position

• Double or Twin Room with Bay View

Everything is a little ‘tired’. The towels are thin, scratchy & old. I would be embarrassed if this was my hotel. Staff were generally not particularly friendly, with attitude and unhelpful in a WiFi connection issue, and made no effort to apologize when they were in the wrong. Facilities generally very dated.

Bedding was fine, comfortable.

• Double or Twin Room with Garden View

1. The sound proofing of the interior walls is pretty much non-existent. You can hear the other room neighbors even if they don't speak loud. 2. Too few power plugs available. There was only 1 power plug available. In order to charge the phone/camera/others we had to unplug the TV in order to get access to the 2nd power plug 3. The room chair legs really need pads in order to avoid the relatively loud scratching noise they make on the tiled floor. This is especially annoying if the above neighbor is moving the chairs early in the morning.

The hotel has a good location (quiet small town) and it is very close to shops, restaurants. Even though the Funchal airport is close, the hotel is located behind a ridge and the windows sound proofing is good thus the incoming/outgoing planes shouldn't bother much.

• Double or Twin Room with Garden View

I don't like a shower in the bath as I am slightly disabled but I was told that all the rooms were the same. However, it was relatively easy to get in and out, but a walk-in shower would have been preferred. Parking is very tight but there is free public parking nearby.

This hotel was so pleasant that we returned to it at the end of our car trip and used it as a base for visiting places in the area. Breakfast was very good. The rooms were big although the bathrooms were a bit smaller than expected. The beds were comfortable. There was a helpful book in 4 languages, including English, that answered almost every topic. Each time our room had views over the beaches. The staff were all very pleasant and helpful. Next time we are in the area we would like to stay here again.

• Double or Twin Room with Garden View

Felt that the staff could have been more welcoming

The hotel was clean to a very high standard but found the staff did not make any conversation not even to offer a good morning!

The front desk staff did their jobs, but were never super friendly or super helpful. Just the basics. We had to move rooms when we first came because our room we were assigned to had smoke smell and they didn't offer a cart or help to move our stuff and the crib. But it worked out.

The view from the room was amazing. The junior suite was on the corner and you feel like you are right in the ocean when you look out the window. Beautiful. Room was good size for me and my husband and our 1 1/2 year old child. The staff at the restaurant was really friendly and always greeted my son and talked to him in Portuguese. He was picking up some words by the time we left. The tour/activities guide Carlos was fabulous. He fluidly went between English and French for the different guests and was super knowledgeable

• Triple Room with Garden View

Very nice hotel near the Machico beach. Fully equipped - lobby bar, reading corner (I found a Czech book there), bar, restaurant, outdoor swimming pool. The room was very large (even with 3 beds), cozy and clean. Breakfast was huge, everyone could find his/her kind of breakfast. There was even a folk performance for the guest. Very good price for what we got.

• Club Room

During a storm the drainpipe drained rainwater straight down on my balcony treshold (room 317) and the water flooded into the room making a pond which bordered to the bed. This defect of the roof drainage should be fixed immediately. Unfortunately, when I reported it to the reception the staff didn't care.

The location of Dom Pedro is perfect. Breakfast always nice.

Nothing really. My first night was a very small single room but my second night was a beautiful double, huge comfy bed, great shower....perfect all round

I needed somewhere last minute and short term having been 'stranded' in Madeira due to unusual high winds closing the airport. After spending three days standing in queues the Dom Pedro was a godsend. But more than this, it was honest, clean, comfortable and above all friendly and helpful.

• Club Room

Very complicated interconnected passageways, a real labyrinth, with very little signage. A bit bleak.

The lunch and dinner meals were buffet style which doesn't suit us so we only had breakfast there. Loads of restaurants in town nearby.

• Double or Twin Room with Garden View

Coffee at breakfast time was a bit flat.

Public rooms were spacious with tremendous views. Dining room had excellent views too. Breakfast was generous and had a range of hot and cold dishes. Bar was a pleasant area. Staff were very considerate and helpful.

I didn't get wifi connection in my room (310), The signal was simply not enough. I didn't complain as I did not need it on this trip, luckily. However, when I went downstairs or while having breakfast, I was able to read the news and go on social media using the wifi just fine. ok... the only thing I want to point out is the level of voice of the waitresses during breakfast. They would chat the whole breakfast, while making sure the dishes were refilled and dirty plates off the table. but still, they would chat quite loudly, and it called my attention. not sure if it's just culture. If I understood Portuguese I could have certainly participated in these personal conversations.

I travelled on my own and spent 4 nights and 5 days at this wonderful location. The reception personnel were at all times helpful with town information and other details. I had requested previously a room with sea views and was granted one, which were key for this special trip for personal reasons. They offer guests music performance every day at the bar area. The hotel lounge is so spacious that it really invites you to sit there, read a book or simply relax on the sofa looking out the window to the sea views. precious! I was amazed by the breakfast, such variety! As mentioned, I had 4 breakfast meals and it never felt repetitious, as they vary fruit, vegetables and hot dishes. There is a waiter that I missed asking his name that he is so professional and kind, you get the quality of the service. The cleaning service ladies are delightful! You don't hear guests on the other side of the wall in this hotel, which gives you privacy and silence, if wished for. I look forward to going back there, as it has become a special memory! I didn't know they still had hotels good old-fashion way of giving brilliant service! adequate for older couples, families and young couples and even lone travelers! I overheard this elderly English couple who has been guest for the past 7 years - this certainly shows the quality of this hotel, I believe. Portuguese are so kind, they will easily care and suggest.

• Double or Twin Room with Bay View

no gym or spa on premises,some of the staff that cleaned my room were not very professional and certain areas inside the bathroom were not touched for days. I'm a very easygoing person and i didn't complain

Rita at reception was very polite and professional...i asked her for a room with a nice view and she gave me a room with a sea view overlooking the Machico Marina. The breakfast staff was also good.

• Double or Twin Room with Garden View

No water on table for evening meal , you had to be all inclusive. Coffee to finish off evening meal not included. No drink facilities in room. Fish buffet dishes overcooked.

buffet breakfast very good, salad bar in evening excellent. Bar prices reasonable.

• Double or Twin Room with Bay View

The hotel is old-fashioned. Facilities are old and the equipments not very actual. It doesn't diserve 4 Stars, but 3. What I hated the most is that there's no Wifi in the Rooms (just in the lobby). This is unacceptable if you consider that Internet is becoming a basic need (as it can be telephone)

I loved the location and the Staff... very friendly

• Double or Twin Room with Garden View

Beds were a little bit soft. Cleaning to our room could be better.

We really enjoy the balcony looking over the ocean. Close to the airport (5min by car). Enjoyable breakfast. In walking distance to the sandy beach.

• Club Room

Awful food,the breakfast food I think it was used from one day to another. Staff in the kitchen not very friendly.The "club twin room " with sea view, not really sea view because it's at second floor and you have a nice wall in front of the balcony.

Clean room, nice pool. Great place with amazing views.

• Double or Twin Room with Garden View

I was little bit disappointed that our room did not have a balcony, but it was my problem and fault, because I did not check it during my booking:) But hotel has also rooms with balcony. And one tiny problem was that there was no wifi in the room, but we were on holiday and we came there to spend time together not on the facebook, so at the end it was good. So maybe I do not know about anything what I really did not like:D

We liked location of the Hotel. It is located right on the beach. Unfortunately there was not many sunny days in Machico during our stay. But as the island is not so huge, there are possibilities to travel around and this hotel has good location. Also I liked cleanliness of the rooms. :) everyday the room was like "bright new":)

• Double or Twin Room with Garden View

Free Internet is provided, but only in the lobby - I do not get that, how it is possible in 4* hotel in 2017 :) parking was not really good, no garages there. Only parking on side of the street near the hotel.

Location fo the hotel is perfect - we have used it as a resort for last night before early morning flight home, as it is extremely near the airport. View from the hotel is perfect as well - the whole Machico in front of you

• Double or Twin Room with Bay View

staff - understanding and speaking basic english should be the basic one, sharing correct information to costumers as well... animator from the swimming pool invited himself to my room to do me massage the first day (I´m single mum with kid on VAC) - we didn´t visit the pool from this time cause I was worried to see him again (he was chaising me on the hall also)

Place - location, swimming pool (not taken care of of the children one), view from the elevator and room, possibility to open window in the room, possibility to use the small fridge in the room

• Double or Twin Room with Bay View

Location of hotel was nice but area prone to low cloud whilst other areas just around the coast bathing in sunshine. Very expensive to travel to Funchal by taxi. Round trip costing as much as 86 euros unless you haggled. Bus service available but express service not available at weekend. Not many choices of restaurants in machico town

Staff were helpful and friendly. Swimming pool nice and kept clean during the day. Breakfast served plentiful choices

• Double or Twin Room with Garden View

We were not impressed by the hotel, expected more from 4 stars. old design and furniture, old bathroom. Very slow wifi only in the lobby.

Good location, easily accessible from the highway, sandy beach is in 7 minutes by foot. The breakfast was fine. Pictures are presenting real rooms.

• Triple Room with Bay View

No wi fi in the rooms that makes u have to go all the way to the reception to use the wi fi which is uncomfortable at all..staff at the reception are not friendly.

The view and the pool.

Strange "Smell" in the bathroom 😩

The Bay view, breakfast and dinner buffets, hotel location, big waves in the bay, music in the bar every night, parking around hotel, room service everyday 🤗

• Triple Room with Garden View

all inclusive was good, could have been better choice of cocktails

food and drink were good. hotel; was clean and comfortable. pool was great and aqua aerobics were a lot of fun. hotel is in a beautiful setting in a quiete and peaceful town. we loved the tranquility. not a place to go if you are looking for discos and mayhem.

• Double or Twin Room with Garden View

Sunbeds were often reserved with towels all around the pool, while hardly any guests were around. Pool was clean, however laves and bugs could have been removed from the water during the day too.

Spacious room with balcony, nice view to the bay; big wardrobe, big mirrors. Wifi only in the lobby. Good location:supermarkets, restaurants, bus stop and beaches are very close. Quiet in the night. Hotel offers various activities in and outside of the hotel for every day.

• Triple Room with Garden View

TV did not work well, no complimentary tea or coffee in room or in hotel, had to buy from bar.

Great location, we had great view of beach and harbour from room 502. Fridge in room. Nice food for breakfast and dinner, good prices on drinks too.

There was a door stop behind the bathroom door that I stubbed my toe in a few times because it was right in front of the sink. The bar refused to serve me €2.50 beer because "they had no large glasses" which meant I would have to pay €3 for 2 small beers (which equated to the same amount that was in a large)I didn't buy anything from the bars in the end. I went to anlpcal shop and bought 1.5l of water for 80cent. What kind of hotel doesn't have large glasses for drinks? Not everyone is an all inclusive. The evening meal was so poor it made me ill that night. See picture. There were 6 choices of hot food only one of them being mushrooms courgettes and peppers for vegetables. The salad was wet and consisted mostly of water ridden peas sweet corn beans and olives which hadnt been pitted. Actually the best part of the buffet was the choice of ice cream. The drinks weren't included so I had to pay for water. Best of all this buffet cost me €20 I should of known better after reading the poor reviews but because breakfast was so good j thought I'd give it a shot. I didn't like that it cost me €8 to get to the hotel from the airport which is literally a 4 minute cab ride. (I know this isn't the hotels fault but I thought I'd mention it for anyone reading)

There were pretty views from my room over the bay at Machico. The room and communal areas were very clean and tidy. The breakfast had a lot of choice and it was quiet at night. The staff were friendly and the overall atmosphere was good. Although the weather that day I was there wasn't brilliant I still managed to get our to see the town and go to paddle on the beach.

• Double or Twin Room with Garden View

Limited selection, variety of food / no lights on room balcony / could have been more seating and use of outside areas / taxi drivers expensive and often pestering you for guided tours at high prices hire a car!

Comfortable bed, nice pool, entertainment every night, good location for bars and shops

• Reviewed: 15 June 2017

• Double or Twin Room with Bay View

Dinning area need to be improved to match the standard of 4star hotels to be modernised and reception infact all intertainment areas needs improvement

Very nice and tasty,the bread was awesome

• Double or Twin Room with Bay View

There should be more food options for breakfast and Dinner as they were quite limited. The food tasted good however. Entertainment can be improved but live music was good.

The rooms are very neat. Great scenery and bay view. Great location. Easy to get around with taxi. Very close to Airport.

• Reviewed: 20 May 2017

• Club Room

Most of the staff are friendly and welcoming, but a small minority are less so. Wifi is only available in the reception area.

The hotel is somewhat dated, but that is part of its appeal. The location is superb and most of the rooms and the lounge and dining room have the most amazing sea views.

• Double or Twin Room with Garden View

There was no information in the room about the hotel services or activities in Machico. Not something that I dislike but this hotel seems to focus on middle aged/retired clients, especially those who booked a holiday package through a travel agent.

The room and bathroom were spotless. Perfect location to go to the beach, restaurants and the bus stop to Funchal. The receptionist on check out (glasses, curly hair) was very helpful and the rest of our trip wouldn't have been a success without her help.

• Reviewed: 18 March 2017

• Double or Twin Room with Garden View

That the AC was not working and that we had no blow dryer in the room. I have never stayed at a hotel where you do not have a blow dryer in the restroom.

The staff were very friendly

• Reviewed: 15 March 2017

• Double or Twin Room with Garden View

Would prefer duvet on bed not sheet & blanket. Rooms need updating for a 4 star hotel!

Very helpful staff, good choice of food. Evening entertainment and good location ! Within easy reach of local bars & restaurants.

• Reviewed: 11 February 2017

• Double or Twin Room with Garden View

Everytime I borrowed a hairdryer from reception I was reminded with a stern look that I must return it. We ate in the restaurant one night and the food was terrible. At 20euros a head it was much more expensive and worse quality then any of the local restaurants so I would steer clear. We were disappointed that when we left, the guy on reception didn't ask us whether everything had been okay or if we'd had a nice time, just gleefully told us that we had a bill to pay. It would have been nice to have been wished a safe flight.

Machico is a beautiful place and so this hotel's location is perfect. The view from the room was great. The hotel was quiet at this time of year but exactly what we needed. The bar and restaurant staff were friendly and helpful, particularly when I tried a bit of Portuguese.

• Reviewed: 24 January 2017

• Double or Twin Room with Garden View

Bedroom cleaners changed bed but never took away rubbish on sides or cleaned cups etc. The coffee machine was not efficient and no replacements left .

Breakfast items differed each day , staff very helpful and great cleanliness.

• Reviewed: 18 January 2017

• Double or Twin Room with Garden View

Breakfast needs improvement, especially drinks, fried eggs and bacon. Food not impressive at all, buffet dinner needs improvement. I would eat somewhere else. Wi-fi only in lobby. Hotel computer far too slow.

Fast check-in Very helpful staff Big and spacious rooms with sea view and sunrise Probably one of the cleanest hotels I have ever been to, rooms spotless Located right on the beach close to town center

• Reviewed: 28 December 2016

Entertainment was awful. There was music almost every night. Now it is not that I expect that much entertainment at all. But various one or two-men-bands performed. They all used a lot of rigid playback with some ridiculous rhytm and orchestration. I would have preferred them only to sing and play guitar and keeping away from the more rhytmic stuff, if they don't have the skill to play that without playback. Lots of musicians have that skill and can create a good atmosphere and make people dance with one guitar or a piano and their voice only, The bar was misleading called "piano bar". I expected piano music, but the piano was broke. In the daytime awful christmas tunes were played from the speakers all the time. I don't understand the idea of having music all the time at hotels, restaurants etc. I would have preferred the natural sounds of the waves of the sea nearby.

Not a bad place except from the music.

• Reviewed: 21 November 2016

• Double or Twin Room with Garden View - All inclusive

Nothing to do for little children when its raining, there is a playground 10 minutes walk from the hotel but nothing inside the hotel. No fridge in the room.

Excellent location, close to the sandy beach, local shops and just round the corner from the airport ( literally 3 minutes by taxi ), very tasty food, no chips and burgers or pizzas, but proper tasty food, excellent selection of fruit. Comfy beds and the room had everything it needed but many people wouldn't give it 4 stars.

• Reviewed: 9 November 2016

• Club Room

It was a challenge to make tea with the coffee-maker (but we don't mind a challenge!)

This was our second visit to this hotel. We had a club room with an a view over the bay. It was clean,comfortable and fantastic value. Taxi transfer is swift and only costs about 15 euros. There are lots of interesting places to eat (very cheaply) within a short distance from the hotel .Breakfasts were good quality, plentiful and with a good choice. Staff were helpful,friendly and hard-working. We will return!

• Reviewed: 1 November 2016

• Club Room

No internet in th room, only in the lobby, there's a bar and a noisy companies until the late evening...but not in night time.

Beautiful ocean view from the club room, a balcony, from which heard the waves,good breakfast, close to the airport, helpful staff, close to the great sandy beach.

• Reviewed: 1 November 2016

• Double or Twin Room with Garden View - All inclusive

so far from funchal (18KM) , 4 minutes taxi from airport will cost 10 euro !! , will charge you in case of delay during the check out (5 euro per hour !!!!) otherwise the woman in the receiption will call the police if you do not pay !!! old hotel

beautiful island ,hotel in front of the sea, many activities to do in this area , amazing old down town

• Reviewed: 31 October 2016

• Double or Twin Room with Garden View

In 2016.... There should be internet in the rooms, not just the lobby.

The hotel is clean. The staff is pleasant. The location is handy to the airport and restaurants.

• Reviewed: 25 October 2016

• Double or Twin Room with Bay View

Map of the hotel to begin with as its easy to get lost at first, better variety of food for brits, altho you wont starve it could have been better

Polite and welcoming, good location

• Reviewed: 1 September 2016

• Triple Room with Bay View

Tired looking, needs modernising, twin beds, dangerous windows (open fully they're too low and child could easily fall off) sunbeds need replacing, no Internet in rooms, not worthy of 4*rating

Good location, next to the beach and restaurants

• Reviewed: 15 August 2016

The hotel has the style of its old glory days, with some areas not really modern/ up to date. The all inclusive deal it offers, creates a bit of a cheap/ greedy breakfast experience

The large hotel offers a nice pool and seaview and is a good place to expore the island

• Reviewed: 13 August 2016

• Club Room

This hotel was not for us staying one night with a kid. Old charter hotel, 70:s decor, felt crowded, breakfast was of all inclusive standard (low). Wifi only in lobby.

Rather tiny single room, next to elevator so noisy

The water kettle

The perfect location

Cleanliness could be a little bit better.

The view!

• Club Room

The tea kettle could be upgraded. Small thing only, overall I really liked this hotel and all.

Machico is a great place to stay, better than Funchal.

Good breakfast, hotel in good location

• Double or Twin Room with Garden View

Tea and Coffee at Breakfast . Coffee very poor and weak from machines.

Very small room, poor breakfast and 70's dresscode . Too bad

• Double or Twin Room with Garden View

A little noisy at night as bedroom was on the same side as the reception

Great communication with the staff

Parking not convenient.

Spacious room with great view. Excellent choice of TV entertainment. Very good breakfast choice.

• Double or Twin Room with Bay View

The Parking was a little difficult at times

Lovely View from the bedroom window see image attached

• Double or Twin Room with Garden View

Very nice fruits,vegetarian options..

• Double or Twin Room with Garden View

Just the lack of Sauna ...

• Club Room

The bacon was hard as nails

The view

All

• Double or Twin Room with Garden View

staff not very nice particularly at the reception

room were clean

• Double or Twin Room with Garden View

location on the seafront. Close to the town and bus stop. Nice dunno g room with beautiful views. Very comfortable hotel.

• Double or Twin Room with Garden View

late in night cheek in took longtime.

hotel needs total renovation.

Superb sea view & breakfast

Splendid breakfast. Fantastic view over town and beach.

Staff very good

Friendly staff

• Double or Twin Room with Garden View

The good location and the view

Slightly dated decor (a matter of personal taste, though), no WiFI in the room

Great location, very helpful staff

• Double or Twin Room with Garden View

An really outdated 4* Hotel... Gives you a feeling of how the 70s must have been... Proper bed linen would have been nice.

Great view

Location view

Last minute booking after flight cancellation

Close to Airport. Plenty of restaurants nearby.

Browse Dom Pedro Madeira traveller photo gallery