Reviews of Vila Gale Estoril 4 stars

#8 of 15 hotels in Estoril

6.0
    Not a 4 stars poor an expensive
    • Double or Twin Room with Sea View (2 Adults + 1 Child)

Old, outdsted, bad Smell in rooms, need to be reformed, also pool everything was old and not well maintained , it’s not a 4 stars, to expensive for the quality, few towels, not even body cream in te amenities just shampoo and bath soap, very poor in all aspects, even minibar just water, safety box for extra cost, we pay 200 euros night and the charge you the safety apart !!

Crear location, big rooons

Great location - very close to the beach.

Great location - very close to the beach. The hotel has a nice roof pool, as plan B:) Excellent breakfast - what a choice on the menu! Very friendly and helpful staff. Clean rooms, comfortable beds. We enjoyed our stay full time.

Clean, great location, but very DATED!

The rooms are very dated and need a refresh.. 4 Star is a stretch... I’d say more like 3

The staff was very polite and friendly and the location is excellent

The property was too expensive but the comfort was closer to...

See above

The property was too expensive but the comfort was closer to null. The room was too noisy, I couldn't sleep at night. The towels were very old. This property was too expensive compared to the level of service standard and facilities. Plus they charged to iron a cloth in addition to the already very expensive price of the hotel.

Our original flight was cancelled and we arrived one day...
    • Twin Room with Sea View

Our original flight was cancelled and we arrived one day late but the hotel did not charge us for the first night. Andre, at the pool bar, was very service minded.

Not fancy but it does the job.

Having to pay extra for things like a safe lock and pressing service since there was no iron in the room. The hotel should simply incorporate these small charges in the room fee so that the customer doesn't feel like they're paying for every small thing. There should be water provided in the room after the first day. I would avoid the 'Italian' restaurant downstairs, terrible spaghetti bolognese; and that is the most basic of Italian foods.

Great location, just across the street from the beach and next to a wonderful pastry called Pastelaria Garrett; they have the best Portuguese treats. Having fruit in the room when I walked in. Clean bathroom and spacious bedroom. The people who cleaned the room and brought my pressed clothes were all lovely and very friendly.

I'm staying in a much better hotel in Lisbon for a much less price so will not be returning.
    • Twin Room with Sea View

The rooms, and fitness center were a bit tired and in need of updating. (ie, cigarette burns on nightstand table, old carpet). My main complaint was on the second night there was a dance party going on across the street which kept me from sleeping. Upon closing the windows I realized that the air conditioning unit was old and not strong enough to keep the room cool and ventilated enough to sleep. I called the front desk at 3:30am and asked how long the music would be going and the staff member told me that they had a permit until 6am. He then told me he was taking down the info for the rooms who complained. This was distressing since I booked a 4 hour walking tour of Lisbon the next day. Upon checking out I let the front desk person know that I was one of the people who had a sea facing room who called regarding the all night music. She went to a supervisor, came back , and said that they were sorry and would see would they could do in the future, and asked if I took anything from the minibar! I paid for my bottle of water and left.

The staff, for the most part was attentive and friendly. Everyone I dealt with the front desk, bar, fitness center, and at the breakfast were great.

We booked room with a balcony, but was told on check in that only a small number of rooms had a balcony, when we insisted we were given a room with a balcony the following day Wasn’t a helpful start

Wife and I had a great birthday stay in Estoril, made magical by the well-situated hotel.

nil

Bedroom perfect, everything we needed. Quality bathroom had bath, shower and bidet. Restaurant superb, everything you could think of at buffet breakfast plus great staff. Reception people v. helpful.

A fantastic stay! Everything was perfect. Thank you to all staff at Vila Gale Estoril.
    • Double or Twin Room with Sea View (2 Adults + 1 Child)

The hotel is fabulous! We stayed in a sea view room which was amazing! Great location with easy access to Cascais and Lisbon and only a few strides from the beach and seafront. All staff are very friendly and helpful. The restaurant and bar both serve great food and the breakfast is also very good! Very clean and well presented hotel throughout. The pool is situated on the roof which is lovely as it boasts great views over the sea whilst swimming. Check in was simple and staff were very attentive and welcoming. Overall fantastic stay and I highly reccomend.

well positioned
    • Twin Room with Sea View

Breakfast could have more fresh fruits and better croissant: breakfast for me is fundamental. the hotel rooms are maybe little bit old fashion style (80's). it could be renovated little bit.

well positioned

Clean and comfortable for a short stay.

Not a lot of things of interest in the area, and fewer food choices than other places. Like all major chain hotels, it was a little impersonal. Lighting in the room was terrible.

Very comfortable stay. The pizza restaurant and included breakfast were good.

Overall our stay was enjoyable & would return
    • Double or Twin Room with Sea View (2 Adults + 1 Child)

The swimming pool was not opened & there was no information before arrival. The servicing of our bedroom was not complete before 16.00 hours on 5 days. the other two days were earlier as a result of we requesting priority .

Location very good,staff very helpful, breakfast was excellent.

This was my third stay at Vila Galé and as usual the hotel...

A few things could definitely be updated, in particular the bathroom in my room looked a bit old and in need of some renovation. The minibar only had two bottles of water and there were no tea/coffee making facilities in the room. Check in was very slow.

This was my third stay at Vila Galé and as usual the hotel was very good. The rooms are nice and extremely large, with very comfy beds and lots of space. Many rooms have at least partial sea view, the hotel is very close to the beach and the station, right next to the Casino, shops and restaurants. Breakfast is great with loads of choice and there are complimentary fruit and water in the room on arrival.

Practical- just adequate

Poor quality Bed. Need to pay extra for safety locker in the room !!!!. Each time you need to ask for tea cups( You need to request for kettle and cups )it will not be replaced).

Very relaxing stay, seaview room was quiet, well air conditioned, friendly staff and very good food.
    • Twin Room with Sea View

Masa Fina pizzeria staff seem to be a bit overworked. Look after the staff, and the staff will look after the clients.

Very good staff all round, good breakfast with good selection of food.

Functional but no fun.

There are at least 4 Vila Gale in or near Estoril. I thought I was reserving one closer to centre Estoril.

Very difficult to find the entrance and parking. Geographic situation is poor.

Fabulous location, very close to the train station and the...
    • Double or Twin Room with Sea View (2 Adults + 1 Child)

Fabulous location, very close to the train station and the casino. This was ideal for us as we were in Estoril to see a show at the casino. Friendly staff at hotel. Great view from room.

Nice staying for a week in Estoril-Cascais area
    • Double or Twin Room with Sea View (2 Adults + 1 Child)

Cannot complain any special there.

Good location, excellent breakfast, very close of the coastline and a railway station of Estoril, pleasant place and staff, all works well, we can recommend.

Great view and nice location - but very very noisy...
    • Twin Room with Sea View

Location is great, but extr. noisy at the same time (just next to main road leading to Lisbon - and an amazing volume of traffic passing by). Rooms and hotel in general somewhat 'out-dated', a little of a bygone era... They need to 'update' the hotel. Breakfast is ok, but not really in line with a 4 star category (e.g. no jelly/jam, no omelette, orange juice just sweet sugar water....).

Location of the place, rooms 'with a view' have a wonderful view. Staff is very accomodating. The style of the hotel is like 'in the old days' of grand hotels... Breakfast room is nice (breakfast selection limited, though). We received a free bottle of wine for the Italian restaurant next door - very kind.

We spend very nice week without some unpleasant surprises.

Strange smell in the room when we first came into it.

Very good location, close to the beach and train station. Very tasty breakfasts with daily espresso and champagne. Nice and helpful staff.

The location is near the beach, casino and train station,...
    • Double or Twin Room with Sea View (2 Adults + 1 Child)

There's only two lifts in the hotel and they wete very small. The room was big and clean but dated, the bed had a dipped in the middle. Breakfast was ok but you have to walk into the restaurant and find your own table.

The location is near the beach, casino and train station, and restaurants, supermarket and cafes.

Lovely hotel, would stay again.

Hotel restaurants were slightly expensive. Buffet dinner option was cancelled?! Could do with a microwave in the room as an extra.

Excellent breakfast, good location for beach and good transport links (via train) to Lisbon. Enjoyed the complementary bottle of wine with a full paying dinner at the restaurant. Can get a kettle for your room only upon request. Staff very pleasant and had a speedy check-in.

Good place to stay for couple of days, nice location.

Separate beds for couples, joined rooms, pool area, breakfast could be better, difficult with parking.

Good location, clean rooms, pleasant staff, discount on spa treatments.

M&B Irl

Would be nice to have music and if you didn't have buffet every night

Very near beach & transport. Hotel very nice &staff friendly and helpful.

Nice hotel ideal for beach

Pool area small. No balcony with most rooms.

Very close to beach and staff were great, very helpful. Ideal for catching train to Lisbon, station just across the road. Estoril beach is beautiful. Nice food.

We loved Portugal and would visit again no doubt. I would question the beds the next time
    • Twin Room (3 Adults)

THE BEDS! Not at all comfortable. We had three single beds - two full size singles and a fold-up for my younger child. The adult size beds were very springy and uncomfortable when it came to sleeping. The management need to invest in better beds to improve ratings. I met another family during our visit and they complained about the same problem. Otherwise it was great!

Great Location! We were able to walk to the beach, Cascais and take the train into Lisbon. The Villa Gale staff were extremely helpful and friendly at all times! The room was a good size for three single beds.

Staff quiet responsive and polite

Charging the bottle of waters in the fridge, without indicating this or the price anywhere - a small thing maybe but it leaves a dark spot on the place

Staff quiet responsive and polite

poor experiences

Big problems with my access card. My access card to the room did not work just after I checked in before I want to go inside. So I need to come down to re-set the access card, and the card did not work again the next day! I need to re-set the access card again. The second day I finally got a parking place, so they added the garage access to my access card, and after I parked the car, the card did not work again to access my room!!! I need to came down to re-set the access card again!!!! I really did not know what happened to their systems, I waste many times on the access card. I booked the parking place 2 weeks ago, however, the hotel tells that I can not book one without any reason. I need to go to get one parking place next morning. But the second morning I went to ask one, they said I need to wait until 13:00, when someone left (again they can not book one parking place for me). Then when I asked again at 13:00, one of them was at lunch, so the another one asked me to come back later!!!! the location is near the beach, and you can see the beach in front of you just 100 meters, but you need to go another 500 meter to across the train lines by underground, which in this case, you are not so near to the beach. The air condition does not work very well, so very warm inside. I have no idea why this hotel can have 4 stars. All my experiences here are full of poor facilities, poor services!

the room is good, and location is very near beach.

Lovely staff, but the hotel is quite expensive for what you get.

Although the picture of the hotel on the website looks as if it is on the beach, there is a busy road and rail line to cross (by tunnel). Breakfast was only average. We had no hot water from 7pm to midday the following day (but staff were very helpful about this). There were no bathrobes for access to pool and health centre, which you would expect.

Very pleasant and helpful staff. Good location, but Cascais is much more lively than Estoril and is only 20 minutes on foot.

Hotel Vila Gale Estoril offers
    • Twin Room (3 Adults)

We share a room for three and it worked fine. The towel supplies were for two people. However when we asked this was sorted.

There were ample supplies for breakfast catering to every taste. The gluten free packs were especially appreciated

Great stay at villa gale
    • Twin Room (2 Adults + 1 Child)

The breakfast was not great. Hot food was cold and even when we mentioned it did not improve. Plenty of cereals and fruit made up for it.

The rooms were very well serviced. Swimming pool was excellent. Always a lounger free. Across the road from train and bus. Train every 20 mins to cascais or lovely 25 minute walk to cascais where there are lots of restaurants and shops

OK, but not 4 star quality
    • Twin Room with Sea View

Very slow, small and often not working elevator Breakfast sub-par for 4 stars Pool too cold Bathroom not very clean.

The location, the helpfulness of the staff

Staff were friendly and helpful.
    • Twin Room with Sea View (3 Adults)

Wi Fi was very erratic. The connection was not stable. Very frustrating!! There was no Ice machine on any of the floors. Had to go down to the bar for ice.

Staff were friendly and helpful. Location to the beach and transport was excellent.

• Reviewed: 16 June 2017

It was a comfortable hotel with a relaxed vibe and friendly,...
    • Double or Twin Room with Sea View (2 Adults + 1 Child)

Didn't have a king or queen bed in the room. Meant that we had two singles pushed together. Lifts are also tiny but not a massive problem.

It was a comfortable hotel with a relaxed vibe and friendly, helpful staff. Walking distance to the beach, restaurants and train station.

• Reviewed: 2 June 2017

great place across the street from the beach I would have loved to stay longer.

everything, good location, great pool, rooms were great. Breakfast was wonderful great selection buffet style fresh squeezed juice. Great value I'd definitely book this location again.

Good Hotel excellent value but not for anyone with mobility issues if want to use rooftop pool

Room was on 7 th floor and faced onto side of Palicio Hotel and view of Casino and gardens which was nice however the noise of refused lorries and the hotel staff throwing bottles etc in the bins all night long was really bad and we were 7 floors up and windows closed. Rooftop pool great but lift goes to 1st floor then you have to walk a corridor and climb 2 flights of marble stairs I counted 40 stairs with brass bannister which when the sun shines through the windows is red hot and difficut to hold onto I have leg problem and found this extremely difficutl to get to pool using my stick and there is no disabled access but I dont see any mention of this in the description of hotel . I would not have booked this hotel if I had . Some staff made the effort to converse others came across as rude and dissmissive because they dont understand the english languages although very fluent in French or German .

The location was good for trains and buses It would be easy to get to from airport using the areobus to the main station in Lisbon then trains to Estoril are every 30 mins However given station is directly across the road you do have to negoiate 3 flights of stairs then underpass to get to other side so if a lot of baggage and not so young and fit a taxi to pick you up and collect on return journey you to airport is approx 60 euros and thats 2 passengers and 1 case oppose to approx 24 ueros . the Hotel breakfast was really good and always plenty on from 7am till 10.30 food for all tastes The rooftop pool was good (negatives below) and you got towels free of charge at desk . Didnt try fittness center but husband said good . And free wifi(never seen before ) with 2 computors in foyer.

Very good 4 star hotel - value for money!

The only downside is the swimming pool located on the second floor with no lift or disabled access.

The hotel is very convenient for rail travel into Lisbon with trains running every 15mins . It is 5 mins walk to the beach and nearby restaurants and I would have no problem recommending it whatsoever. Breakfast was excellent and staff very helpful.

• Reviewed: 25 May 2017

great time .ideal time of year for senior citizens

Portugal sausage

Very clean central location to all services,beach,public transport,good restaurants, great weather.local people very helpful to visitors

• Twin Room with Sea View

Perfect location , near beach and public transport links. Excellent promenade walk to CASCAIS. Friendly and attentive hotel staff who gave excellent information on local attractions. Brillant breakfast buffet with wide choice of hot and cold foods. Large comfortable bedrooms with daily cleaning and linen/towel changes.

• Reviewed: 14 April 2017

lovely hotel for a short stay.

More sunbeds needed. Staff could have been friendlier. Not informed that we needed to book jacuzzi or sauna.

Lovely hotel in good location, close to train station and buses. Good food in restaurant. Nice pool area.

Very good hotel near the beach
    • Twin Room with Sea View

The room was cold, there are no tea making facilities in the room (but kettles are available on request) and there is a safe but you have to request the lock.

The hotel is located very close to the beach and the station, with easy access to restaurants and shops. Both continental and English breakfast are available and the variety of food on offer is very good. The staff is friendly. The rooms are huge and have nice decor and are very clean. The Casino is a 5 minutes walk away. Cascais is a 20' minute walk along the promenade and it's a very pretty village.

• Reviewed: 6 November 2016

Disappointing location

Breakfast was very samey-'bacon' was half burnt every day. The location was the biggest let down for us-that's not the fault of the hotel clearly. There wasn't much about the town-the restaurants in Estoril were disappointing and not much choice for kids. There was a train station which was handy, cheap and gave access to Cascais and Lisbon which were great.

• Reviewed: 31 October 2016

Good Hotel
    • Twin Room (2 Adults + 1 Child)

I felt that there should have been bathrobes and slippers provided because it was a Spa Hotel

Good hotel. Staff were very informative. Breakfast was excellent!

• Reviewed: 26 October 2016

Good location ,near the estoril station.
    • Twin Room with Sea View

Good location ,near the estoril station.Good restirant around the hotel and on the beach.Good breakfast and many kinds of meals.Good and kindly staffs.Good and strong wifi.

• Reviewed: 18 October 2016

good hotel in great location

The coffee and tea in the breakfast room were very poor and the cooked breakfast section did not look appetising at all. The pillows were lumpy.

The bedroom was roomy, nicely furnished and well lit and the beds were comfortable. Everything was very clean including the bathroom. It was good to have a bath as well as a shower and there were toiletries provided. There was a good choice of food for breakfast. I especially liked the local bread. The staff at the desk were friendly and helpful. The location opposite the station was excellent as we arrived and left by train and went to and from Cascais many times.

Family week-end

The bed matress are not very comfy, but not too bad either. The towels are a bit ware off, could use new towels... The air conditioning could use a filter clean-up.

Very friendly and helpful staff, specially Elsa at reception desk, the room-service and the kitchen..! Excellent location; just seen the sea through your room window makes it all worth it... Rooms are big, airy and comfy...

• Reviewed: 8 October 2016

I can't say enough about the location.
    • Twin Room with Sea View

I can't say enough about the location. Easy access to the beach and the walking path along the beach. The breakfast is good. Worth the money to get a view especially to see the sunset.

• Reviewed: 1 October 2016

nice hotel in great location
    • Double or Twin Room with Sea View (2 Adults + 1 Child)

I came here to attend a conference, i booked this hotel from booking, but the conference provided price was about 50 euros cheaper per night. This is unaccepted.

The breakfast was very good.

• Reviewed: 1 October 2016

Great view and location, but pricey. Good choice for business.
    • Double or Twin Room with Sea View (2 Adults + 1 Child)

Internet almost unusable -- disconnects every 2 minutes Beds not quite comfortable Hair dryers switch off too easy due to overheating

Excellent location Clean rooms Very friendly staff Fantastic view of the ocean Good breakfast

• Reviewed: 1 October 2016

The hotel near estoril station.
    • Twin Room with Sea View

The hotel near estoril station.The area around of hotel is so beautiful.The breakfast is excellent.There are mant seafood resturant around the beach infront of the hotel and so many portugese local food long the road.The bedroom is so big and more comfore to sleep especially seaview room.You can walk to the Cascais from the hotel by walking along the beach.The view is so superb.The staffs are so friendly and so kind.

• Reviewed: 29 September 2016

Great location, friendly staff but bring your clothes already pressed
    • Twin Room with Sea View

The hotel charges a fee for ironing services and does not provide customers the possibility of ironing their own clothes. While the prices are not outrageous, I found this very dissapointing from a 4* hotel especially since the price for the room is not low. I think that if they can include breakfast in the room rates they can also absorb the costs of an occasional pressing of a shirt. Ironing is not a luxury service and is provided even in lower rated hotels or B&B's.

The location is very good. The hotel is withing walking distance between the conference centre and the beach. The top floor rooms with balcony to the seaside are very nice, spacious and comfortable. The staff is always very friendly and helpful.

• Reviewed: 27 September 2016

Lovely

The carpet underneath the bed was filthy with bits of nail clippings and crumbs.

Pillows really comfy. Peaceful enough hotel - no late night drunken louts. Location was great. Long promenade and restaurants a plenty. Great shopping mall very close to hotel. Breakfast buffet had a great selection.

• Reviewed: 20 September 2016

In spite of location and good staff, because of the unsavoury bath, could not recommend to friends.

The old "dirty looking" bath. Looked like there was a piece of old soap stuck to the surface and it was full of black hairs - in fact it was full of dirty scratches. Management should take a good look at it. Room 206

The location of the hotel was very good and we were greeted well by the staff.

• Reviewed: 20 September 2016

We had a good week here!

The coffee was terrible!!! They must get a machine that makes REAL coffee please. The bar staff were truculent and fairly unhelpful.

Breakfasts were very good indeed - a lovely selection of food. Reception staff very good.

Good value for money although basic and dated accommodation.
    • Twin Room with Sea View

There is a night club on the beach over the road which runs all night to 6am. Even with the balcony doors shut it still can be heard. That's not the fault of the hotel, just need to be aware if you are a light sleeper

Good value for money although basic and dated accommodation.

• Reviewed: 28 August 2016

Seaside hotel

A bit too hot (stuffy) in the hallways and elevators.

I have stayed in both great and not so great hotels in Estoril and Cascais. Like many other hotels on the Lisbon coast this is a bit dated. My opinion is that it is still a good place to stay as everything seems to work and I got the impression that all the staff wanted to give the guests a positive experience. Breakfast buffet was actually very good. Estoril and surrounding areas (Cascais) has a lot to offer and based on the rates I believe Vila Gale is a good place to stay if you aren't too picky. Only a few minutes from the seafront with beaches anbd restaurants. A 3 minute walk to the train station offers easy access to Lisbon.

• Reviewed: 23 August 2016

Excellent location by the sea.
    • Twin Room with Sea View

Excellent location by the sea. Train to Lisboa is a 2 minutes walk away. Hotel is a bit dated but everything works and seem well maintained. Very good selection for breakfast.

• Reviewed: 13 August 2016

Not far from the train station and beach

A total waste of money, and a lot of money! Outdated, AC not cooling properly, water leak in the toilet, very poor amenities, two old and tiny lifts always busy, bad insulation between bedrooms and common areas, the pool is just a small water tank and lack of chairs.

Not far from the train station and beach

They made me my favourite fried eggs😄

Can't think of anything Brilliant

They made me my favourite fried eggs😄

Staff & housekeeping very good

The rooms were very basic

Staff & housekeeping very good

My cloud in Ireland were looking for location . 1 Seaside. 2 City location. 3 Fatima
    • Twin Room with Sea View

Dining room. Coffee dreadful& 2 members of staff said I could have espresso & did not fulfill their promise.

Reception staff.

I dont stay again in this hotel, very bad experience.

Window of my room have one wall in front, no view...

nothing, hotel old, room have space but bad decoration...

Position

Single beds

Position

Good Experience
    • Double or Twin Room with Sea View (2 Adults + 1 Child)

The Reception Staff were excellent and really helpful, My Room was Perfect, Housekepper very good. Breakfast was good,will stay again.

nice and good value for money

the pool is not very nice

very good value for money and nice people working at the hotel

excellent!!

Nothing...everything was great

An extra bed was provided for my daughter

The location.

The bathroom is outdated.

The location.

Location! Location! Location! Stunning views!
    • Twin Room with Sea View

Location! Location! Location! Spectacular views!

Rooms dated but adequate.

Breakfast and staff

lovely holiday. hotel was fine.
    • Twin Room with Sea View

staff could have been more helpful with special requests. towels/ bedclothes a bit basic/worn

breakfast was excellent

Poor bed/ air con

very comfortable, friendly staff and good breakfast

no lotion nor robe and slippers

very comfortable, friendly staff and good breakfast

Comfortable

My room gave me a good view of the beach and swimming pool. Room was okay for the price and very comfortable.

Short business stay
    • Twin Room with Sea View

Excellent location, just opposite the train station. The breakfast is perfect (it has everything). Get a room with a view...it’s stunning