Reviews of Sensimar Savoy Gardens 4 stars

Azinhaga da Casa Branca, Sao Martinho, 9000-542 Funchal, Portugal

#44 of 71 hotels in Funchal

• Double Room with Sea View

We booked a room with a ocean view on an up floors, accessible by elevator. The receptionist, Paula tried twice to place us in a room that was inferior to what we had booked. Poor Pedro the Staff had to drag our suitcases up and down on the stairs twice because we refused to accept the rooms.

The hotel is fine and most the stuff are great except the receptionist Paula.

• Double Room with Sea View

There is a huge building site next door as the hotel is currently building "luxury" apartments... adjacent to the existing pool area. There was drilling, hammering and other machinery noises from 7am to 7pm every day, and the temporary hoarding between the old and new areas did little to stop the noise. Our room was in a new building behind the main hotel, which was only accessible by walking through the whole pool area. The communal area in the building smelt of damp and was dark throughout, including the room - very weak interior lighting. Room itself was spacious and well equipped otherwise, though. The jacuzzi on the top floor wasn't heated and it wasn't quite warm enough in May to stay in for very long.

Breakfast was a decent buffet with great selection of hot and cold foods. Restaurant and bar staff were helpful. The rooftop terrace has great potential for sun lounging but alas it was quite windy during our stay so we couldn't enjoy it very often.

• Double Room with Mountain View

The construction going next door make can be noisy sometimes. The location/access is a bit odd at first but ok if you rent a car, making the main motorway just a couple minutes away.

The friendliness and care of all staff. Brilliant. The quality and variety of the breakfast. Even if some elements of the hotel are a bit dated is really clean and well kept. The views... Specially from the rooftop.

• Double Room with Mountain View

A little tired in places..but this is a very minor point.

Hands down the staff! Every single member of staff were absolutely delightful and nothing was too much trouble.

• Double Room with Sea View

No heating at all (just AC), so it was cold in winter nights ( I was proposed blankets, but that's not something I wanted ) TV class I used to have 15 years ago (20 inches?) Wifi sometimes didn't work, but most of the time was great There could be some cosmetics set

Coffee / tea refilled every day Music in the bathroom Sauna free of charge Nice breakfast, but not excellent

No reason to dislike.

Location,breakfast and options for dinner. All you have in one place so don't overload yourself. Find your way to relax and enjoy!

• Reviewed: 8 April 2017

• Double Room with Sea View

Only evening food available was dinner in a restaurant, no snacks after 18:00. Just a little too far from town (but then it would be noisier!)

Good sized room (seaview) with balcony. Good A/c. Good selection at breakfast. Drinks reasonably priced. Quiet location.

• Reviewed: 1 April 2017

• Double Room with Sea View

It can be a bit of a hassle to take the bus back to the hotel from the city center, since the buses tend to get pretty crowded in the afternoon. Make sure to take the bus from the first stop and not from the round about by the Santa Catarina park. The hill to the hotel is kind of steep. There is a public bus stopping just outside the hotel, but it seems to run rather infrequently so you'd better walk down to the main road (Estrada Monumental). I have nothing negative to say about the hotel itself, it was great.

Great staff, very friendly and service minded. Even the maids smiled. Lovely panoramic sea and city views from balcony and roof top terrace. Great with a heated pool and also a small sauna that guests can use without extra charge. Great breakfast and also evening buffet if you want to dine in. Beds are very comfortable.

• Reviewed: 3 February 2017

• Double Room with Mountain View

the lifts are quite slow, internet was a dodgy at 7th floor.

Amazing 3 nights stay the Savoy Gardens. thankfully i upgraded to sea view and my, was that the best decision ever! it's worth every penny! rooms are big, and property is 7 stories high. breakfast is out class, and the location is very close to all other hotels. don't forget to spend the evening watching sunset from Rooftop bar. Funchal city center is 2 kms away, supermarket 500 m, pharmacy around 1 km and all other aminities within walking distance

• Reviewed: 2 February 2017

• Double Room with Mountain View

Reception is not kind and doesn't know the hotel's regulations, promotions, progrmas and so on. One of them made a mistake in check-in(the date of check-out, paying and not giving a room key...). But there was no saying sorry.

Breakfast is better than dinner. (I was not a half board) Culinarium, the other restaurant for only dinner is great! This hotel have lots of program which especially elderly people can enjoy in the hotel.

• Reviewed: 9 July 2016

• Double Room with Mountain View

Please beware that this hotel has rooms with no windows or exterior openings whatsoever ! We had an internal room although we booked a mountain view room 3 months earlier. When we arrived we were told that because they overbooked we had no option but to stay at this room. We accepted but complained and expected this situation to be corrected soon. On the following days I went to the front desk and asked when they were going to move us, and were told the Hotel remained fully booked. On the following day we saw a big group checking in, and I had no option but to request the complaints book, when I finally realised that no effort was being made to solve our problem. When we started our complaints they offered some compensations such as service upgrade, or free drinks, but always hoping that we would get at least one of our 4 night-stay in the room we actually booked, but it did not happen. I never had this kind of problem in any other hotel I stayed in (and I have been in a few these last 20 years), and specially was not hoping for something so wrong to happen at a 4* hotel. Even sadder is the fact that we were probably the only Portuguese couple in this hotel, and have this kind of treatment in my own country is frustrating at best. For me and my husband, this was the worst hotel experience ever, because we left with a feeling of no value to our money.

Only positive thing we can say is that the staff was always very friendly (we were known as the 118's room couple ...) and sympathetic with our 'bad luck'...

• Reviewed: 7 July 2016

• Double Room with Mountain View

Next to the hotel there was a construction site. Noise and awful view during a day. No discount for this reason. Unfortunately carpet and day pillows were extremely dirty.

Rich and varied breakfast.Clean swimming pool.

• Reviewed: 5 January 2016

No bad experiences of any kind on this stay.

Good sea and Harbour view from 6th floor, Serving & Room service Staff also Reception Staff excellent, Both Gala nights in the Restaurant were a great success.

• Reviewed: 1 December 2015

From the first the day of our arrival I noticed I was treated differently from the other guests. One day when we were having breakfast one of the staff chased us and required us to go wash our hands in the sanitizer they had there. After that i noticed that was the hotel policy (which we should have been informed), however the staff was extremely rude to us and i did not saw the same behavior with other guests I needed the receipt with my business fiscal number but when i went to check out the check out was already done and the employee couldn't change my receipt. On the check out the front desk also asked us if we had some complaints, we mentioned that the air conditioning was not able to go bellow 23 ºC and that our keycard was always malfunctioning. Their answer was "We don't care about your complains we are always fully booked"

The location of the hotel is good

• Reviewed: 24 October 2015

Not one bed, but two conjoined, which is never as comfortable for a couple as a single big bed. Far from the centre, not many buses or much frequent. Bit old fashioned, a bit.expensive for what it offers.

Big room, good breakfast included, nice staff (but people are wonderful everywhere in Madeira, anyway). Very good hotel, free parking & free WIFI that works fine.

• Reviewed: 24 September 2015

When I arrived it was very busy as I believe is normal on a Monday. I had booked a seaview room but the receptionist insisted th I had a mountain view. I showed her my confirmation and she said that I should e-mail it to her as proof. Another receptionist then spoke to her and they realised that two people with the name Jones had booked on the same day, hardly surprising but she seemed to think that this was strange, maybe they don't have too many Welsh visitors. She was then apologetic and I was even allowed to go to my room before two o'clock! Prices in the bar excessive, I felt the €2.50 for a small bottle of sparkling water was too much.

The terrace at the top of the hotel was very nice though I do think that it could be made more welcoming and attractive, maybe by adding some flowers or more colour in general. Moist receptionists were very helpful. Breakfast was varied, plentiful and very good.

• Reviewed: 8 March 2015

Only problem the chilly pool. Bit of a climb from main road if you are not fit.

Wonderful views and relaxed feel. Lovely staff and breakfasts good. Comfortable room with fridge and kettle.

• Reviewed: 5 January 2015

A little far from Funchal centre. Surcharges for dressing gown and cofee/milk. Fridge did not work. Hard beds and pillows

General ambience of hotel. Sea view. Restaurant food, especially breakfast.

• Reviewed: 5 January 2015

Complementry Tea in the room is only one cup. Any extra cups for the rest of your stay you have to pay for the milk tea and coffee. There is no snack to purchase in the day time so you have to go out and if you go out then you might as well have your dinner out

This was adult only hotel

• Reviewed: 31 December 2015

More than good service, Hospitality is the word to describe the experience

• Reviewed: 21 July 2015

I love the location and beautiful place to stay

• Reviewed: 14 June 2015

Super location, fantastic staff, beautiful room

• Reviewed: 30 May 2015

Everything!

There are also 6 reviews without text. These impact the overall review score.