Reviews of Hotel Luar 3 stars

Av. V3 - Sitio dos 3 Castelos, 8500-801 Portimão, Portugal

#22 of 24 hotels in Portimão

• Twin Room with Partial Sea View

Breakfast was still disappointing same every day for two weeks. Wifi was a bit hit and miss.no tea/coffee facilities in your room

Excellent location have been a few times to this hotel.pool excellent staff friendly and helpful

• Twin Room with Partial Sea View

Terribly outdated hotel. Rooms are small. TV set is old. Worst breakfast I've seen. No fruits or vegetables at all. Suits for those who are not being in the hotel all day.

Great value and location

• Twin Room with Land View

I drove to Portimao so was not impressed to find that the hotel had no parking apart from maybe seven vehicles underground,This hotel is "punching above it's weight"it's dated,tired and worn out,albeit clean.It was probably at it's best when Abba was topping the music charts!I only went to breakfast five of the fourteen days I stayed-enough said.

The swimming pool,sunbeds and matresses were really great,the hotel is very close to the beach and to numerous food outlets,cafes and restaurants.

• Twin Room with Partial Sea View

The breakfast was acceptable. Some fruits and Greek yogurts would have been better.

The room was on 4th floor, partial sea view on the corner, panoramic view to the side. Very clean, 5 minutes from the beach. Dinner at Pizzeria La Dolce Vita in Praia da Rocha just rocks!

• Twin Room with Partial Sea View

Breakfast was so bad I only ate it once. The pillows on our beds were terrible and the toilet is a terrible design

Location is great and it’s very reasonably priced

• Twin Room with Land View

Only two plugs in room. One in bathroom and one in room but not near the mirror.

Clean room. Nice pool area and nice bar/ snack area. Pleasant staff and nice hotel

• Twin Room with Partial Sea View

THE HOTEL IS DETERIORATING. HAVING VISITED THIS HOTEL IN THE PAST THE STANDARDS HAVE DROPPED. BROKEN WINDOWS, ANCIENT T.V. SETS. REMOTE CONTROLS THAT DO NOT WORK NO GEL/SHAMPOO IN ROOMS UNLESS REQUESTED . BREAKFAST WAS PASSABLE

PARKING AVAILABILITY FOR THE MOTORBIKES. PROXIMITY WITHIN REASON TO THE AUTODROMO

• Twin Room with Partial Sea View

Money was stolen from our room and about 4 others.security not good. Manager only gave us a small reduction for the trouble and only after I suggest it

Good location and parking

• Twin Room with Partial Sea View

The bathroom was disgusting, room service ridiculously inadequate and the staff members (with one or two exceptions) behaved as if our presence itself bothered them. The first thing we've noticed was that the toilet did not flash. The only way to make it work was taking off the cover,reaching down into the mold covered tank and press the lever manually, which was more than disgusting. The issue has not been fixed (and the water tank was not cleaned). The information we found in our room stated that the beddings will be changed every 3 days and we'll get clean towels every two days. And yet, during our 7 nights long stay, we got clean bedsheets and clean towels only once. I also found a half empty bottle of water under the air-condition on the balcony when we arrived. I took it out and left it on the balcony, hoping it will get thrown out the next day. Instead, I found it pushed back under the air-condition. And then there were the beds. While not overly uncomfortable, they were very old, which wouldn't be a problem but one of the bedbases had a huge brown splash on it (I still hope it was just coffee). I work in a hotel myself so I know not everythcan be done perfectly every day. But this hotel has been neglected for years and its very obvious to everyone who has the misfortune of booking one of its rooms. I would understand if it was a cheap hostel but for a place that claims to be 3 star and changes 90 euro per night, it's appalling that they have the gall to sell rooms in such a state and don't even bother cleaning the bathroom every day. Ours was cleaned only twice. Necer again.

The only good thing as this place is its location. Also their scrambled eggs aren't bad.

• Twin Room with Partial Sea View

The breakfast was poor,there was no fresh fruit,only a couple of two slice domestic toasters were available for a large number of guests and the coffee was awful. Also, we asked for extra pillows (only one each provided?)and they never arrived.

The pool was excellent and there was easy access to local amenities

• Twin Room with Partial Sea View

The bed very hard one small pillow ,tv no English channels . Breakfast was like ground hog day , ok if you like scramble eggs.air con poor and very noisy had to turn it of at night so we could sleep , same as fridge turned of at night so we could sleep. And house opposit had dog barking day and night .

• Twin Room with Partial Sea View

It is a really old hotel with patch jobs done on the walls and ceilings. There are not enough sockets and not all of the lights were working. The breakfast is also poor and even if you pay extra to have internet in your room it is not even good enough for simple things. It is certainly over priced.

Locality was perfect with a lovely pool and housekeeping called a lot.

• Twin Room with Partial Sea View

The morning that we left ..... Breakfast wasn't adequately to our standards and my wife was stuck with very hot water in the shower ...... The shower was stuck and could not get it sorted .... Eventually it worked !!!

We enjoyed arriving at the hotel and the receptionist was extra friendly ! We had a fabulous room with an amazing view We stayed at Luar for two nights however altogether there was a total of 10 on our family for one night and we enjoyed it brilliantly ..... thank you !

• Reviewed: 19 August 2017

• Twin Room with Land View

the beds were very hard & the toilet was unstable, making room smell, tv too small & didn't work very well & some designated parking for hotel guests would be nice

staff were very friendly, it was clean and it was in a great location

• Twin Room with Land View

The sunbeds and umbrellas needed updating or replacing as many broken.

My daughter is lactose and gluten intolerant. The kitchen staff went out of their way to make sure she had enough food and even bought gf bread and lactose free milk for her.

• Twin Room with Partial Sea View

Terrible old hotel, go somewhere else. Fisrt, doorlock is a key and the lock is only by the an old lock. The safelock is not included and i have doubt on real safety of the lock so we didn't take it. The air conditioning way too cold and could not be adjusted, I had to stop it during the night. Water leaks from air conditioning. 3 lights on 4 were not lightening and I couldn't read in the room, we can't see anything in the room. Matresses were soo hard that my arms, hips and legs felt numbs. I felt like a slept on the floor. We could ear everything in other rooms. We didn't sleep during the 3 nights. One night, there was a couple who argued under us, until 1h30 am because I wet to the frontdesk ask to go see what is going on. Breakfast was also terrible, no fruits, bad coffee, restrictive choices, kind of a cheap selfservice to take our utensils. The next days we rather to pay for breakfast at restaurant. We also had to pay for WiFi in our room like we didn't pay enough for this hotel! This hotel should give us extra to compensate. Water from shower has no pressure, i had to hold with my hand to shower. Don't look too much on the floor and the ceiling. Also found some stain on headbed with my uv lamp.. I tried not to think about it. TV lost signal after 5 minutes and only it was only 7 portugese channel. Don't go to this hotel to relax. Everything is old and no maintenance has been done.

The only positive thing is the beach which is close.

• Twin Room with Land View

The breakfast was low on my scale. The room was ok, but we kept getting subtle smells of sewage during the night and the beds literally felt like you were laying on a piece of wood. Parking was hard to find and you had to rent a hair dryer from the front desk which was weird. Also it said there was wifi included in the hotel property but it's only available in the lobby. If you want wifi in your room they charge you extra, per night, per device.

The location to the beach and main restaurants was perfect.

• Twin Room with Land View

Breakfast with no quality. The hotel must have been good in the past but needs intense refurbishing. Beds are terrible for the back.

Location is superb. Pool is great for children.

• Twin Room with Land View

First, I want to stress that the few complaints I had were barely worth mentioning. I truly enjoyed my stay. That said, in the interest of full honesty: the AC was on the fritz, the fridge was a bit noisy, the lighting was dim, and the TV was pre-historic.

The hotel staff were friendly and extremely helpful. I arrived after suffering a couple of setbacks, from an earlier destination. The staff were remarkably patient in helping me to recover from those earlier problems. The complimentary breakfast was basic, but generous. The location was a small walk. However, I really enjoyed the reduced noise. I also liked the nearby beach (Praia Dos Tres Castelos) more than its better known sibling (Praia da Rocha). The prices on the minibar were surprisingly reasonable. I usually avoid the mini bar, but happily treated myself to a few beers here.

• Twin Room with Land View

The breakfast could have had better / more choice... No fresh fruit etc

Over all love staying here been 3 times at this hotel , great value for money.

• Twin Room with Land View

The room, was put in room 101 which was very small with a balcony big enough for only one person. Even though I booked this hotel back in March the room that was given to myself & grandson was terrible. Coffee is absolutely awful, no tea or coffee facilities in the room.

The swimming pool

• Twin Room with Partial Sea View

Horrible pillows - the worst I have ever seen. Hotel generally run down- old bathrooms and funny smell in the wardrobe and the bathroom. very scarce breakfast. Very noisy early in the morning because of the cleaning ladies in the corridor and kids screaming their lungs out in the swimming pool.

The beach in front is really beautiful

• Twin Room with Partial Sea View

Not much choice for breakfast. No bathroom towel changes for three day stay. Beds were hard.

Location, so close to beach and cafes, nice pool. Helpful staff at desk.

• Twin Room with Land View

I didn't like the coffee

We just loved the croissants and the orange juice, really good breakfast.The pool was great, the best location for Praia de Roca, vis-a-vis.

• Twin Room with Land View

The breakfast could be improved. The AC leaked all over the floor.

The beach is amazing! You cannot find a better beach elsewhere. The location is within a few minute walk to restaurants, shopping, and bars.

• Reviewed: 7 June 2017

No complaints......only wished we could have stayed longer !!

This was our second visit to Luar hotel. The location is ideal and close to beaches and restaurants. The staff are friendly and helpful especially Bernardo. Rooms are very clean and comfortable and will definately return.

• Twin Room with Land View

We parked our car in the hotel parking lot. When we went to get the car to leave, he was crash. The hotel team did not help at all. There are no cameras in the parking lot. The hotel also has no internet in the rooms, only in the lobby

The beach

• Reviewed: 20 May 2017

• Twin Room with Land View

It needs updating and some TLC. The room I had was very sparse and dull. Breakfast was lacking any appeal, no fruit and the bakery items were uninspiring. The snack bar menu of hot dogs, burgers, spag bol etc says it all!

It had a pool and was near the beach. At the price it does the job for a very short stay. If you want a good location for the beach and a few local bars/restaurants at a low cost then it will work as a base.

• Twin Room with Land View

Wifi didn't work in the room, only in the lobby. Very inconvenient. About the breakfast, coffee horribl, seem instant coffee. Plus no fruits or yogourt.

Location and beautiful beach nearby. Personnal care

• Reviewed: 15 April 2017

• Twin Room with Partial Sea View

The pool was freezing, not heated, a shame. Breakfast was almost the same everyday but OK for a 3 star.

The location was excellent and access to the beach and promenade about the best for Portimao still with stairs down to the beach. At the quieter end for nightlife, the way I like it, but still close to great restaurants etc.

• Reviewed: 7 January 2017

• Twin Room with Land View

The corredores and the hotel in general needs some DIY. Also they need put internet all over the hotel will make life easier.

Amazing staff!! I made some request and at the hotel they were really helpful. Very close to bares, clubs, restaurants and beaches. Not far from the city either.

• Twin Room with Land View

Breakfast was terrible! Just plain breads, simple cheese and ham, cereals, no croissants or tasty extras, coffee was worst I've ever had.

Comfy beds,curtains that kept the light out and very clean. Great location.

• Reviewed: 2 October 2016

• Twin Room with Partial Sea View

The beds seemed very firm and there was only one pillow.Breakfast was a little disapointing ..could have been improved with some fresh fruit and yoghurt. The toasters were not sufficent for the numbers of people ..there always seemed to be a queue.Perhaps the satellite tv could be improved to accommodate different nationalities..we were English but only had American news channel to watch.

Very polite helpful staff.and close location to restaurants and shops.Swimming pool clean with plenty of sunbeds to go round.

• Reviewed: 22 September 2016

• Twin Room with Partial Sea View

Sub standard breakfast, infant, terrible breakfast! Wifi only available in reception with a woeful signal. Noisy fridge in the room, which leaked. Air conditioning unit was older than me and totally soaked the carpet in the room if used, staffs answer for this was to cut water bottles up and place underneath! Not a pleasant experience.

Location was the only thing this hotel has going for it!

• Reviewed: 21 September 2016

• Twin Room with Land View

Guests saved Sun loungers by the pool and left the hotel grounds giving no one else a chance to lay by the pool. Air con was not working upon arrival so they produced a fan the following day which sounded like a plane taking off. (No sleep for 2 nights). The breakfast was the worst food I had ever put in my mouth. Staff could be friendlier. Whole building could do with updating

it's directly across from the beach. Bar food isn't the worst.

• Reviewed: 19 September 2016

• Twin Room with Partial Sea View

We were late arriving, reception staff grumpy. Got to our room and on opening the door there was a bad smell. We informed reception at 4.30, but told no other room available. Next morning we were told that there was a room free later in the evening. Air con not sufficient. The night before departing smell in bathroom. Could not shower , taxi booked for 6.45, no sign of taxi 6.55 asked reception and he shrugged his shoulders, we asked him to call driver and the response was he had problems with car. When we asked him to call another taxi he said he could not as the other driver was booked. We seen a taxi dropping off at hotel we asked him to bring us to airport. There was an argument between the driver and receptionist. The taxi driver told us that the hotel staff only use certain drivers as they get a commission from them hence the reason the receptionist did not want to call any other taxi company. Towels not changed daily, just folded and put back on rail. Bed linen not changed during our stay. We deliberately left empty shower gel sachet's on bath and they were left there.

It was central. Lovely beach and pool, one member of dinning staff friendly, bar staff friendly

• Twin Room with Partial Sea View

I believe the breakfast could be improved with some more food (fruits or yogurt etc) and slightly different everyday maybe. Also could have wifi available in rooms.

Hotel Luar has most beautiful View, Best I have ever been to. Perfect location right next to the beach and restaurant area. The Staff is amazing always ready to hrlp and very friendly. Definately will go back.

• Reviewed: 12 September 2016

• Twin Room with Land View

Traveling with a baby we found a lack soundproofing Portimao Is way too constructed and lack natural beauty

Hotel right in front of the sea. I mentioned we had a baby and a cot was placed in the room with no extra cost: very appreciated. Easy access to restaurant and other attractions walking. very nice beach Good breakfast

• Reviewed: 4 September 2016

• Twin Room with Partial Sea View

Breakfast a little bland. Would be good to have a small kettle in room to make hot drink early morning/late night. Also hair dryer would be an added bonus

Efficient staff, location to beach and restaurants excellent. Pool good and clean

• Reviewed: 16 August 2016

• Twin Room with Land View

WiFi just in the entrance was unbelivable for the 2016 and a big Hotel like Luar.

The bedroom was great, big, confortable, silent and fresh. Breakfast is great. And the location on the walking path just in front of the beaches makes it all.

• Reviewed: 9 August 2016

• Twin Room with Partial Sea View

some decor a bit worn. bar staff could be more friendly.

Communal areas were spacious and cool. Pool area was very nice. Location excellent. Air conditioning working and no extra charge. Quiet hotel, slept well.

• Reviewed: 8 August 2016

• Twin Room with Land View

Hotel LUAR needs better WIFI. This was my second stay at the hotel in 12 mths. Granted its free I would have liked the option of having WiFi in the room at an extra cost. Also the janitor / handyman is a bit strange and comes across as angry. He wouldn't be as professional as the reception staff or kitchen and cleaning staff. I stayed for 9 nights and the breakfast was the same every day. Needs a bit of a change up.

Reception staff are amazing and friendly. Rooms are spotless. Beach is so close to hotel. Hotel is a perfect distance from the centre of PDR it's a nice quiet area. Lots of sunchairs available for guests.

• Reviewed: 7 August 2016

• Twin Room with Partial Sea View

Very limited parking. Staff not particularly helpful. Coffee at breakfast was like tar. Very slow Wifi only available in lobby. Beds were not comfy.

Selection at breakfast was good. Pool was great. View was great. Air con and fridge great.

• Reviewed: 3 August 2016

• Twin Room with Partial Sea View

Cons: staff is very rude, breakfast is disgusting, hotel is very old, beds and pillows are very uncomfortable, bredroom smells

Pros: great pool and perfect location - these are the only good things about this hotel

• Reviewed: 28 July 2016

• Twin Room with Land View

Terrible wifi - only available in reception area. Rooms very old and uncomfortable . Staff very unhappy - not welcoming at all , almost always grumpy.

Great location and pool

Pillow s

Excellent location

• Twin Room with Partial Sea View

Beds & pillows need upgrading.

Pool, beach and restaurants.

• Twin Room with Partial Sea View

Could be better cleaning.

Breakfast was good, nice view from balcony. Beach just 2 min walk. Great location.

• Twin Room with Land View

Having scrambled egg everyday for breakfast for 7 days.

What I like most was the access to the beach from the back of the hotel.

• Twin Room with Partial Sea View

Breakfast was a bit poor. Not much choice.

Reception staff very helpful.

Poor bed

• Twin Room with Partial Sea View

Hotel is in excellent location, right outside the beach. It also has a great outdoor pool, that somehow never gets overcrowded or too noisy.

• Twin Room with Partial Sea View

No restaurant. Breakfast of modest quality. Address non-existent on the navigators.

The location, very close to the beach, one of the best

• Twin Room with Land View

The room we had was very clean room cleaned each day

Its location in great, 5 minutes to all bars and restraunts

• Twin Room with Partial Sea View

Beds and coffee were terrible

location and pool were excellent

• Twin Room with Land View

Accommodation and facilities, too old.

Excellent location.

• Twin Room with Land View

The room was her horrendous. Dirty carpet in the hallway, bad odor and room was not great.

I loved the pool and the beach.

• Twin Room with Land View

Rooms need to be done up, breakfast could be better

• Twin Room with Partial Sea View

Breakfast: no fruit at all, coffee not very good, eggs too runny, bread not very fresh.

Room was great. Swimming pool and grounds super.

• Twin Room with Land View

The beach was next to the hotel and took only 2 minutes to get to.

• Twin Room with Land View

Breakfast needs fruit included and cooked food needs to be hot with more options

Bar and location good

Breakfast could be better

The position of the hotel was good for pubs and restaurants

• Twin Room with Partial Sea View

uncomfortable bed lumpy pillow sliding door not working at one side creapy crawley insects in d bathroom sink

• Twin Room with Partial Sea View

I think the breakfast was OK but I missed the vegetables and fruits. The staff was really kind and helpful. The swimming pool is amazing.

Friendly, English speaking staff

• Twin Room with Partial Sea View

Room smelled of sewage for part of the day and the hotel needs upgrading.

Pool was nice and the location was good (away from the busy section).

Requires modernisation

Area

the breakfast variety

• Twin Room with Land View

no hairdryer no coffee tea facilities rooms dated

location and pool

No problems at all

Had a lovely time with great friends

• Twin Room with Land View

Beds were a little uncomfortable!

Great location with superb pool. Looking a little tired all round but good value.

• Twin Room with Land View

Breakfast. Not enough choice.

Pool excellent. Staff excellent

• Twin Room with Partial Sea View

A bit dated but good for the price

Cleanliness brilliant reception staff very good bar staff nice but not talkative food lovely

Browse Hotel Luar traveller photo gallery