Reviews of Holiday Inn Lisboa 4 stars

Avenida António José de Almeida, 28 A, Areeiro, 1000-044 Lisbon, Portugal

#240 of 329 hotels in Lisbon

The location is bad. The hotel does not look like the pictures, it's old. The pricing is not fair, too expensive for this location and the room condition.

The stuff was really nice and helpful

• Standard Twin Room

It was quite far from the main town and places of interest, there was a dog barking outside the hotel through the night which kept me awake

Rooftop pool, lovely spacious room with two double beds, bar that served food until late

• Standard Twin Room

Water from the shower spilled on the floor. Could not figure out how to avoid this.

The breakfast was good. Large selection of food. The room was quiet. Beds comfortable.

• Family Room

Too noisey. Hotel is on busy road and we heard it all night. I’m not sure if the rooms at the back of the hotel are quieter, it’s worth trying for these if you can though.

Roof top pool is fun. We didn’t get to use but looked great. There’s a basic bar up there too and we’re playing music. Had a good feel. Family room was very spacious too.

The breakfast was extremely overpriced and terrible. US $17.50 and the fruit was tasteless, the coffee was horrible, the food was greasy.

The roof top bar was lovely.

Location a little far out from the "center" of town. The long walk downhill in the morning was fine but made the evening return journey a little daunting. Cheated sometimes by taking the green line Metro, only a 10 minute walk from the hotel.

Everything expected from a Holiday Inn. Staff very friendly and helpful.

Loved everything about my stay here

Stayed here to attend a concert great location easy access to metro all staff really helpful & friendly nice bar area rooftop pool & bar lovely hotel spotless super comfortable beds would definitely stay again

Shower over the bath wasn't really convenient, functional but not easy.

Staff were really helpful and welcoming. Food in restaurant and bar was good and good value, service was excellent. The rooftop area and pool were a real bonus if exploring the city wasn't always what was wanted. Proximity to the metro and nearby restaurants and food outlets was good. Double room was a good size and soundproofing seemed to work, we slept well with comfy bed and thick curtains to exclude daylight. Air con was quiet and effective.

Bathroom was a bit small due to the corner layout. Breakfast buffet was pricey at 15 Euros for what was offered.

Large rooms, very comfortable bed and pillows. About a 10 minute walk to the closest subway station, which is on the same line as the Airport. The area the hotel is situated in is nice and feels safe.

• Standard Twin Room

For some reason we could never pay in cash in the hotel. They always said they never had change. It was very odd. So if you like paying in cash like us I wouldn't advise this place.

The staff were very friendly. The view we had from our room was amazing! It was close to a lot of things.

The bedrooms, whilst very clean and comfortable, suffered badly from noise from adjoining rooms. We stayed for four nights, and on three of the nights we were woken between midnight and 02.30 by people making lengthy phone calls, or returning to their rooms and chatting. It was impossible to sleep through as you could hear every word that was said. They may as well have been in the same room as us! I guess the walls must be thin, but the hotel has to try and do something to minimise noise late at night.

The staff were excellent. Very friendly and always keen to help. Being able to leave bags on arrival and departure was really helpful. The breakfasts were also very good. Plenty of choice, and plenty of food available.

• Family Room

The lighting in the room is awful. There is barely any lights in the QUAD family room. The room has curves corners and because of the positioning of lights, there are large parts of the room that are dark. Strongly advice hotel management to UPGRADE LIGHTING in this room including using brighter light bulbs. Dinner menu is very scant at the hotel restaurant.

Quad family room is a very large room with plenty of window and natural light during the day. Location is excellent. There are two metro stops relatively close by. Couple of grocery stories within walking distance and a small playground close by if traveling with kids. Above average buffet breakfast.

• Family Room

The pool was shut. We had a group of 18 in the hotel for a stag do and we fully expected to use the pool. Portugal in April you want to use the pool right, especially with the toilets being so far away.

• Standard Twin Room

The bar man was very stern, he was more interested in the soccer game on tv than serving us. We were the only 2 people in the whole bar. $44 EUR for 4 brandy and a cappiccino. :( The food is outrageously priced. Food was excellent BUT if it were more reasonably priced there might be more patrons eating there. Again we were the only two in the restaurant.

The front desk staff were very friendly and informative.

Location to far away from the old town, area around the hotel looked a little run down. Breakfast buffet was okay but nothing special.

Basic hotel accommodation, bar and restaurant.

Décor and bathroom in need of an update. Very dark "wood" flooring. Room was dull and lacked luxury. Thin walls. I was awoken by the neighbour using the bathroom. There was a lot of traffic noise.

The bed was comfortable and the room was clean.

Didn’t have my expectations. Stuffs wasn’t nice and didn’t have a good support. When I sleep, someone came to my room to count the mini ber. Many stuffs don’t speak English. Didn’t do what I need them to do even though they made promise. Restaurant stuff wasn’t nice also.

• Family Room

Room is cold hopeless parking .. Nothing outside!!! Front disk people are not friendly!!! And it says free parking !!!! But then we have to pay !!!! Ridiculous!!!

Nothing I like in that property!!!

• Family Room

It is better to include the city tax payments during the reservations fee...Better to pay once.

The hotel is clean and bed was comfy and the family room was spacious.

• Standard Twin Room

The concierge staff are very friendly. We arrived in the morning after 10 hours of flight and were allowed to enter before check-in time. They explained the location of the hotel and gave us good tips on nearby places to get to know and enjoy the Portuguese cuisine. The beds were very comfortable, too.

• Family Room

Great breakfast, excellent rate, terrific customer service. A little far from the heart of town but accessible by cab and modern family oriented hotel

• Family Room

The staff was very friendly and helpful. Room was very spacious! Breakfast had great variety of options. The restaurant was also great and staff was very friendly and helpful.

• Family Room

- The bathroom sink was clogged - There was no toilet brush - And the most epic one the power sockets were connected to the light switches. I left my phone to charge only to discover in the morning that with the light I have also switched the power sockets off overnight. So I needed to leave the light on during the day to charge my devices.

My birthday was during my stay and I got nice surprise in the room: champagne and cake :)

I don't think there was nything in particular that we didn't like about the hotel

Overall the service was excellent...my husband had to go into hospital and the staff were excellent in arranging that with speed. ..

• Family Room

We stayed for 5 nights and the breakfast was same for all 5 days. No change at all. This is quiet boring and not expected from such a hotel and with the amount we paid.

• Standard Twin Room

I liked the hotel 15 years ago. Now it really feels ran down ... not today's four star hotel. At most 3 stars.

The location is very nice ... close to the airport and close to the metro. And the area is lively as well.

• Family Room

Rooms and beds are comfortable. Metro station quite near from the hotel. Breakfasts are really good - you can choose bitween many products and there's no way you would feel hungry after. Reception staff- comunicative and friendly. I can recommend this hotel

• Standard Suite

The staff do not filter the requests. We arrived at hotel by 9.30pm and 3 min after we arrived in the room the phone rang asking for silence. We were not noisy and all TV sets were off.

The hotel is comfortable, quiet and the staff very accessible and nice.

Getting to the hotel from the subway station was harder than I expected (700 metres, all of it uphill)

We arrived in sunny 30 degree weather, and the rooftop pool with bar was the perfect place to chill out. Good breakfast buffet with some local delicacies, as well as a good pot of coffee (which is rare enough when travelling!)

The hotel room is very confortable, and there is enough space..very clean hotel..and staff very welcoming and helpfull. I booked this hotel because I ahve to attend to courses given in Holiday Inn and it was quiet nice to visit this part of Lisboa

There is much room for improvement and therefore I've taken some time to write down some additional "constructive criticism". Location is an interesting one here: if you're looking for the business district the location is perfect; if you wish to be close to the touristic sites such as Bairro Alto or the Castle of San Jorge then expect to travel some distance (especially when taking into account Lisbon's immense hills). Uber is a good option in Lisbon. Our double bed was essentially a 1.5 bed or a small queen bed - not for the larger folk. The toilet (at least in room 603) was placed in a very unfortunate location within the bathroom (much flexibility required if you don't wish to end up in the bath tub)! I ordered room service at 4am. I am of the opinion that if a hotel chooses to serve food (by means of room service 24/7) then the quality of the food needs to be at least acceptable. Room service here was quick but the quality of the food was poor; you can't really go wrong with a ham and cheese sandwich I thought - I was wrong. Is 9 EUR acceptable for a ham and cheese (sliced bread) sandwich with crisps and sliced carrot (incl. room service fee)? Your call, but i say it's way too expensive for Holiday Inn. The wine at the pool terrace is OK and the food there is better than room service. For some reason the bar at the pool terrace shuts much earlier at around 6 or 6.30pm.

The pool terrace on the 11th floor is a lovely bonus if the weather is good. Staff is well trained and give good advice on where and how to get to places of interest. It is probably the first time ever in my life where, during check-in, I received the exact information I wanted without explicitly requesting it. Nothing less, nothing more. The wifi was excellent.

Honestly can't find fault expected average it's a chain hotel outside the main area but it was above average 5 min from metro into main tourist square by river cheap journeys get a card and top it up depending on how much travel you do.

Noise from lift first night staff were great immediately moved us to another quiet room. Pool area great my husband went there to smoke in the mornings and nice bloke at the bar there for a chat everyday. Big thanks to lovely nice friendly and very hard working barman on at night when we were there great customer service and great San Francisco cocktails big thanks to him

• Standard Suite

Wifi was down for a few hours but was fixed by late evening. air conditioning was barely cooling.

Very Nice Room. Clean. Love the location. Was able to leave luggage in Airport storage for a flight later the next day. We walked about 2 blocks to hotel. Room was warm and air conditioning was not the best but we didn't suffer. Being from Alaska I could live on an icecube! You will want to order a breakfast to go early. I was told that at 8am I was to late to get a boxed breakfast.. They did get me one eventually so it all worked out. Just on cost cleanliness and location I will definitely be staying here again.

Our rooms weren`t ready at 5 pm so we had to exchange family room into double room. Very thin walls/ceilings, we could hear our neighbours and people in the hall very well.

Nice little pool at the top, very comfortable beds, metro station 8 min away on foot, and then 10 min ride to the city center.

• Family Room

I can't say that anything in regard to the hotel was disliked by myself or my family.

The friendliness of the staff was appreciated and the room was great! From the hotel we were able to adventure out to Fatima and Belem, knowing that we would be returning to a comfortable room to rest up for the next day. Additionally, having the ATM in the lobby was a great help so that we would not have to venture out looking for a bank.

The pool could have opened slightly earlier to allow for a morning swim before going out for the day. Not enough milk in the room for coffee making and no free bottles of water which would've been nice.

The roof top pool was a real bonus after a few hours sight-seeing. The bar by the pool made a lovely white sangria.

• Family Room

Pool was tiny and crowded, staff was courteous and out to help, room was excellent, spacious, great bathroom, modern feel to it. 10 minute taxi ride to downtown, excellent walking area.

Could have been useful with one more lift, as there could be some waiting in busy hours.

Nice, clean and effective. Pool (although moderately sized) and bar on the roof :-) Not too far from the Metro, and from there about 15 mins to downtown. Nice breakfast.

• Family Room

Breakfast which was not included was a little pricey but there is a cafe within walking distace

Very clean. The staff was friendly extremely helpful and the room clean and comfortable. We were very happy with this property.

Lovely location and brilliant pool. Super views of Lisbon with a metro station 7 minutes away. Hotel is lovely and rooms are spacious. We were in room 1007 right outside the steps to the pool and roof bar. Request a high floor it's lovely. Loved it and loved Lisbon. Cheaper than other European capitals, tram 28 wow but go about 8pm in the evening. Boat trip fab and benfica fc is a must and so cheap for a tour. 3 adults and 2 children only 25 euros in total. Grand square by the sea is amazing. Going back for sure

• Family Room

Have just one critic : they blocked the money to pay the hotel on my credit card and during the check out asked me to pay again the same amount.. so it was necessary to argue a little bit . Then they said that it's possible to transforme the pre payment into the oficial payment ..

The hotel have a nice pool on the rooftop, with very nice view . There is a bar near the pool that serves good cocktails . Room and the bathroom were clean,Beds are Comfortable . We were 4 girls and stayed in family room. Enjoyed my stay.

Room was dated and rather shabby. Bed for me was not comfortable and curtains did not fit window to cut out light. Bathroom has seen better days. For me just a bit tired looking. Door lock didn't really work and kept sticking. Might have just been the room I had and another room would have been a better experience.

Staff were helpful. Wifi was good and strong

• Standard Twin Room

The breakfast was a little expensive and not as good as other hotels locally. We managed to get a brilliant breakfast and far superior coffees in an artisan bakery less than 100m away for less than a third of the price of the hotel.

Great hotel & lovely staff. Loved the rooftop pool, minigym and bar.

Breakfast was a bit disorganised and a bit of a free for all. Not enough staff. Very slow to clear tables. I was also charged for mini bar which I didn't use. That said, reception took it off bill without any questions.

Value for money. Good sized room and clean.

No negative points.

Lovely hotel with great facilities. Rooftop pool has fantastic views over Lisbon, breakfast is very comprehensive. Good location not far from two different metro stations.

Beware the bath/shower. In our room the non slip was worn so thin as to be non existant. My husband slipped, after speaking to the manager a bath mat was provided. Other rooms had these already. The Metro is a bit of a hike on a hot day.

Helpful staff, nice view from room over Lisbon. The rooftop (plunge) pool can get very busy with revellers depending on who is staying. Excellent breakfast.

• Standard Twin Room

Poor staff Disinterested Rude Stayed for 10 days, sheets changed only once and we had to ask for even that Room not properly cleaned Location not great- staff not facilitating in advising about transport

Room had two double beds.

You must get your own coffee at breakfast, cup by cup. We expected a small pot at the table as typical in most other hotels we've stayed at. The breakfast buffet selection was adequate but might lack diversity if you stay longer than a few days.

The Octopus Carpaccio dish in the restaurant was excellent, a must-try dish. The view of Lisbon from the roof top pool area is very nice. Very helpful and friendly staff throughout the hotel.

• Reviewed: 17 May 2017

Nothing really i used to use the Holiday Inn for work so it was all familiar to me and good

Good value for money. Good breakfast a little more expensive than he streets but the volume of food you could have was worth the price..pool just good

• Reviewed: 30 April 2017

bathrooms need an up-grade

It's a Holiday INN so you know what to expect...:) - cheap & cheerful Very nice staff and the roof terrace is highly recommendable at night

The trip was too short....

I am usually looking for the variability of countries and cultures. These thing are are always the main point to look for and of course it affects for the environment also even it is a hotel. So the Portugese people are quite nice people.

• Reviewed: 9 April 2017

• Family Room

I cannot think of anything the hotel could have done better.

Price was a great value for my budget. I was extremely surprised in a pleasant way with the size of the very comfortable family room. In fact this was the biggest room we have ever seen at a Holiday Inn! The staff - top notch. The room - outstanding The service - outstanding housekeeping staff! The location - right on point The value - could not be beaten for a family of four.

• Reviewed: 31 March 2017

It is a bit far from old city centre, probably at least 20 minutes on foot. Our AC had mind of it's own, controls on the panel didn't seem to change anything. Cleaning quality varied, on some days it was very good, while on others it looked like someone was in hurry, i.e. no soap and half towels. Nothing serious though.

The rooms were clean and spacious enough, they matched what we reserved. Breakfast was very good, plenty of hot and cold choices, including fresh fruits and good quality juices. Internet connection was good, a bit slow at times but stable. Acoustic isolation was ok, no excessive noises. I did liked the bed, very comfy for me.

• Reviewed: 23 March 2017

We were on the top floor below the roof terrace. On our first night we were awaken by loud noises from 12pm to 3:30 am, when we called reception they said they were doing some work!

The manager in duty on or first morning offered us free breakfast to compensate for the noise on our first night.

• Reviewed: 17 March 2017

Holiday Inn.......now.......if & when they would 'change' things it.........wouldn't be a ........Holiday Inn !¡

Holiday Inn......so that's that.....= you're going to stay at a 'Holiday Inn' so you know what to expect Value for money and usually well located

• Reviewed: 15 March 2017

• Family Room

the hotel looks old the room is old the bathroom is old and dated the breakfast is ok can do the staff doesnt talk to u needs complete renovation

• Reviewed: 2 March 2017

property is a little tired looking.tv in bedrooms very limited no facility to purchase film per pay tv .no bbc channels . Apathy and shrug when i enquired .Breakfast was limited tea and coffee was not to western european standards;we gave up on them after two days drank juice and water.Buffet [i.e]scrambled egg streaky bacon was often lukewarm again gave up on that after two days.Staff in dining room hardworking and polite.same with reception and housekeeping. Impression was not broken dont fix,problem is it is cracked and soon will be broken.

• Reviewed: 1 March 2017

• Family Room

Normally everything is good but for me location of the hotel location was away from city.

I like the familier staff. Cleanness quite and non smoking room excellent service etcetc...

• Reviewed: 14 February 2017

There was nothing to dislike, we had a great holiday and a restful break.

Our room was large, roomy and very comfortable. The restaurant food was very good and staff were helpful and friendly. It was too cold to use the pool however the hotel overall was impressive and located fairly closely to the metro station.

• Reviewed: 11 February 2017

• Family Room

Staff not friendly, room not clearn, far from centre. Price is not even fair. The worst 4 stars hotel I even checked in.

Room was not even clearn. Towel was not even changed, we took off the plastic bag on the cup in the bathroom, it was keep in the same place for 2 days. Not tidy up. Poor secvice.

• Reviewed: 6 February 2017

The bathroom, although proper and well cleaned, needs revision, as there was a strong smell of moisture and mould.

Good hotel if you have to work at IST. Metro stations not too far off.

• Reviewed: 5 February 2017

• Standard Twin Room

8th floor room with many windows which could open? No way,this is very dangerous. Of course there is a warning sign but it is not enough.

Reception's services

• Reviewed: 10 January 2017

• Family Room

i'd like to thank again the reception staff,really helpfull and kind. your hotel is wunderfull like every other thing in lisbona. the cleaning is excellent.

• Reviewed: 23 December 2016

I thought the breakfast option was verb expensive. Especially for what it was. It wasn't bad but definitely not worth 15 eur a person

Same as all holiday inns.

• Reviewed: 19 November 2016

Hotel was a little far from the action and a decent uphill walk from the metro, so may not suit some people.

Very comfortable hotel. Nice pool area for summer.

• Reviewed: 15 November 2016

• Family Room

The location. we had to use car to visit the center.

Everything was excellent. we didn't eat breakfast in the hotel... There are public parking places in the area to pay by the hours

• Reviewed: 12 November 2016

• Family Room

Towels were dingy and rough, should have been replaced ages ago. Bathroom was typically Holiday Inn, i.e.: slightly sketchy and smelling of industrial cleaning supplies. Some members of the front desk staff were on the unnecessarily insincere and haughty side, very different from most other welcome staff we encountered on our 16-night trip across Portugal.

A convenient hotel close to the airport. Underground parking was nice.

• Reviewed: 7 November 2016

The hotel need some refurbishment in lobby and outside facade but the general impression is still of a nice hotel.

Large and clean room with two queens beds. Beautiful view of the city from the roof terrace at 10th floor. Friendly and very helpful staff.

• Reviewed: 15 October 2016

• Standard Twin Room

The bathroom in room 109 defies any logic. The sink is unnecessarily large making it difficult to enter the bath/shower and use the toilet. Just put in a smaller sink and all would be fine. Also the panel of glass to substitute for a shower curtain was simply inadequate for keeping shower water inside the tub.

The staff was very helpful with all kinds of questions. I had problems getting my phone to accept your WiFi , and a lovely man at the front desk did it for me. We ate one breakfast and one dinner in the dining room, and felt both were quite good. Again the wait staff were very friendly and helpful.

• Reviewed: 9 October 2016

• Family Room

The staff was helpful and answered any questions we had. After a tour of Lisbon we returned to our room to find champagne and a slice of chocolate cake sent up for my birthday - a surprise and thoughtful touch from the staff! There's a family run cafe around the corner - across from a mini market - fabulous pastel de natas, and bicas!

• Reviewed: 26 September 2016

Hotel doesn't provide door hangers 'Do not disturb' so that the cleaning staff was constantly knocking to the door until I gave up and let them clean the room.

I asked for extending my stay and staff was so kind not to charge my extra night with standard rate (€270) but with the same price I paid for other nights (€170)! Great!

• Reviewed: 20 September 2016

• Family Room

Shower screens a waste of time - could be bigger or add a curtain at side. Picture on site gives impression (wide angle lens?) of pool being much bigger than it was. fine for our purpose and very young kids, but not very deep or big!

Staff friendly and helpful. Good size rooms. Decent breakfast. Rooftop pool and bar.

• Reviewed: 20 September 2016

• Family Room

very rude unprofessional and unhelpful staff at the reception signs of wear in the room and bathroom. Cracked tiles in the bathroom. corners were filty with fungus permanently stained bathtub very small gym with only a few machines very very small and tiny, swimming pool on the roof which is always full of people

Nothing, Very bad maintenance Rude and unprofessional staff at reception.

• Reviewed: 18 September 2016

The location was poor. Too far away from old town and good restaurants. We didn't mind too much as we like to walk but over 30 minutes to the good sites of Lisbon.

Clean hotel with great pool and pool bar.

• Reviewed: 17 September 2016

• Standard Suite

The staff never acknowledged our ICG membership or amenities that we are accustomed to like water or fruit even after repeated inquiries and apologies.

decent in house restaurant though menu was limited

Browse Holiday Inn Lisboa traveller photo gallery