Reviews of Holiday Inn Lisbon-Continental 4 stars

Rua Laura Alves 9, Avenidas Novas, 1069-169 Lisbon, Portugal

#220 of 329 hotels in Lisbon

• Double or Twin Room

My stay at this hotel began with really unpleasant incident. When I was checking in, the woman at the reception desk was rudely discussing my nationality with her colleague. Despite that the whole conversation was in Portuguese, I understood them well. I suppose it is not only the matter of 4-star hotel service, but also the courteousness of the employees. The hotel staff should be aware that making such a small talk in front of the client (especially in language which I probably don't know) is extremely rude.

Breakfast, room.

• Double or Twin Room

This hotel is now our " home " away from home when we stay in Lisbon . Enough said!! It will always be our first choice to stay whenever we travel to Lisbon .

• Double or Twin Room

The front door of the hotel was in the back, away from a main road which made uber pick up and walking home at night a little more inconvenient. Also, multiple things in my room were broken or hanging by a thread. For example, the pull chain of the floor lamp within the room was actually a piece of string which pulled completely away from the lamp when I tried to turn on the lamp.

The metro was really close by.

• Double or Twin Room

Maybe the air conditioning should be better. In a hot day the air conditioning can be very weak.

Breakfast was amazing. Fruit were the best. The cream pies (pastel de Belem) were a delicious extra. Very well made and super tasty. Variety of juices. All amazing. Bed and pillows were the most comfortable ever. Also the big towels. Some of the staff were very friendly and smiley.

• Double or Twin Room

The ZIP code on Booking.com is wrong. It should be 1069-169. This needs to be changed on your website

Excellent breakfast. Very relaxing bar after a day's sightseeing!

• Double or Twin Room

Since our flight luggage was gone a toothbrush would have been perfect.

Good communication, late check in (1:30h) no problem. Room was clean. Breakfast staff super friendly. Very sweet: Stay over was day 1 of our honeymoon, so we found some sparkling wine & pasteis de nata as a special surprise. Nice!

• Double or Twin Room

Dinner is only served until 2200hrs, it is a buffet and if you arrive late, you get cold food.

Was in good location and hotel was spotless. Many taxis at the front door available

• Double or Twin Room

It wasn’t the greatest location and the rooms were a little out dated.

The hotel was very clean and the staff were extremely helpful. The room service was a great as well.

• Double or Twin Room

Quite far from town centre; Very expensive breakfast, not worth money; We were booking in advance & got twice bigger price than usual;

Comfortable bed, clean room

• Double or Twin Room

They’re incredibly stingy with their tea/coffee - ONE black tea bag (and one camomile) and two of the smallest “milk” pots I’ve ever seen. Only 4 hangers in the closet. Suppose there had been 2 of us in the room? No plugs by the bed for charging phone etc- I had to unplug a lamp. (Plenty on the desk but too far away!) The so-called incredible restaurant was simply appalling. The only bad meal I had in 8 days in Portugal. Really sub- standard and pretty ropey service too. It was a dismal end to a lovely holiday. Do not stay here unless you have to.

The bed was very comfy. Bathroom was nice too. Good black-out curtains.

• Double or Twin Room with Extra Bed

Location is very bad, out in the nowhere, no Restaurants or anything is near there. 3rd bed was awful, not comfortable and the smell was bad, like not cleaned for years!!! Hotel is very old and the breakfast-room was ugly without windows, not inviting at all, staff had no idea how to do their job. Breakfast itself was ok, but not more than ok.

Not much to like at this place

• Double or Twin Room

Rooms are very small, but I think it is part of the price. In general good price-quality relation.

Close to the metro station and one close small shopping center for groceries and takes away.

• Double or Twin Room with Extra Bed

Breakfast was included but quality was fair

Nice staff. Nice bar. Great location. Convenient Parking garage attached. Not secluded like many airport hotels- many shops & restaurants nearby, however we took an Uber to downtown for dinner for under 10 euro which was also fabulous. Room basic & clean. Beds comfortable. Uber to airport quick and easy ( also many taxis available)

• Double or Twin Room with Extra Bed

During check-in, the staff provided a wrong information about reservation regarding breakfast included, and I had to pay more for a service not requested. They put us in a smoking room, with very strong odor, unacceptable. The second room (the only one available) was small and had broken door and we needed to call someone from staff with a master key every time we had to enter. That second room didn't have the third bed requested and it took the staff 3 hours to solve it.

Location is very good.

• Double or Twin Room

When we arrived we were left to wait for a good 10 minutes before we were even acknowledged, despite there being three reception staff present. All three were tending to the needs of one customer who seemed to be checking out, and they were blatantly avoiding eye contact with us. A simple 'sorry, we'll be with you soon' would have helped rather than making us feel invisible. We did get a small apology when we were finally served. We weren't told that our room was accessible with emergency cords fitted throughout that set off an alarm if pulled. There was one in the shower that we accidentally touched as it was camouflaged against the tiles, setting off an alarm (not a very loud one as I didn't notice it!). A female staff member knocked on our door and instead of explaining just barged through and turned the alarm off before telling me not to pull the cords. I went to turn the standing lamp on and not only did the cord come off in my hand, but all the lights in our room blew. This was resolved quickly though. While the hotel is close to the metro station, it was still a bit too far to come and go during the day so we couldn't go back to rest or get changed - I'd stay somewhere more central next time.

The hotel is within easy 5-10 min walking distance of the metro station, with just one change needed to get to the main square. Room was a good size, bed was very comfortable and the shower was warm and powerful.

• Double or Twin Room

A little bit older, maybe time for a bit of refresh or renovation. A bit leaky window durig rain.

Nice staff, good service anf variety of services and facilities..

• Double or Twin Room

construction upper layer at 9am very noisy. isolation of door and wall not good. breakfast service person not good English hard to communicate. At 11am, a staff person came in without knocking. it is terrible.

• Double or Twin Room

The staff were friendly. The room is clean. WiFi might be limited but it’s okay just for daily surfing. The location is 20mins to center city by subway. Overall is very good. Better than what I thought :))

• Suite

Cold hot food for breakfast

Bathroom was a dated. Could be improved easily. Breakfast room in the basement, plenty of choice but warm food options were only warm and some of them cold. Coffee machine should be replaced with someone who can make them.

• Double or Twin Room

I had booked my accommodation using a business credit card, which I do not travel with (company policy). Annoyingly on checking in I was told I absolutely had to have the card I booked with otherwise I would have to pay on a different card. The staff explained this was the hotel manager's requirement (as it is not the same as other Holiday Inn's I have stayed at, also using booking.com), to stop 'scammers'. However what I do not understand is the hotel then had to refund my previous payment (so the payment had gone through and money received....what is the issue with 'scammers' when the money has gone through the day before I arrived) and I had to pay on my personal credit card (which is incredibly annoying when you book using a business card). The receptionist also confirmed this happens a lot to other guests, then why doesn't the hotel do something about it? I now cannot stay in this hotel again because I can't book using my business credit card. Please sort this out. I booked the 'pre-payment' option which means the payment should be taken any time before I arrive at the hotel.

The bed and pillows were really comfy!

Location and a/c

A/C was poor, staff were great especially the manager of the breakfast. He worked harder than any other four staff members! Bravo!

• Double or Twin Room

This hotel is in a nice location, not the most modern of all but with amazing service and a nice breakfast. We were upgraded to a suite for our honeymoon so that was a very nice memory from this restaurant.

• Double or Twin Room

The fact that they charged my payment card prior to arrival and then later refunded it. However the exchange rate meant that I was refunded less than I was originally charged.

• Double or Twin Room

Come clean and tell the true cost up front

An old hotel that I would rate as ** only not good value Also on there web site they say that there is parking but do not tell you the cost until you book in I will not stay there again

• Double or Twin Room

i didnot like the room cleaning process for example the used coffee cup are not cleaned, the bed sheets are with some staind.

i liked the Location of the hotel is close to many things the saff are friendly and the late check out

• Double or Twin Room

Great for business travelers to far from centre of old town for the great tourist attractions in Old Lisbono

Great stay good food, parking, common areas lobby

• Double or Twin Room with Extra Bed

Staff really untrained. My friend slipped and had a painful fall because the cleaner mopped the floor and did not put up a sign for wet floors. When we returned to our room at 5 pm the cleaner was still their and appeared shocked and unapologetic. Our floor (8) had a horrible stench all the time. The carpets were dangerously raised in the corridors. Breakfast was not good. Much more expensive than other Holiday Inn branches (€200 per night)

Comfortable beds

• Double or Twin Room

Nothing really, we had a great time,fantastic weather ,good transport,good hotel(maybe breakfast could do with a little variation) but on the whole this was good. Would recommend!

The hotel is very central for transport to get around.The Metro was fantastic and quick and very good value for money 1.45 euro from hotel to airport would recommend to all if in Lisbon to buy the reloadabke ticket which costs 50euro and goes everywhere.We would also advise the hop on hop off yellow bus and trams excellent value for money( we bought 2 day ticket on line before we went) worked out cheaper.Food and drinks are obviously expensive when you are in the central belt but little cafes etc on par with uk.Handy shopping mall near hotel called the Bullring.

• Double or Twin Room

I booked one room in May and paid by a credit card at the same time. When I arrived at the reception in the end of August, I was requested to show the same credit card, but I did not have it with me. I had to block it due to an accident and I had a new card with me. I was forced to pay "one more time" the complete price of the room" at the reception. I was told that the previous payment would be reimbursed to my bank account within a few days, but after 10 days, I have not received it yet. With this reason, my experience with this hotel is very negative.

• Double or Twin Room with Extra Bed

Dinner option was terrible and restaurant very poor .Buffet not a good idea for dinner which was a pity as very few good restaurants nearby

Location was good due to Metro station nearby.Breakfast had good variety and enjoyable.Bed was really big and very comfy although campbed would only suit young child

• Double or Twin Room with Extra Bed

The room temperature was a bit to warm.

The hotel staff was very friendly and helpful. The breakfast in the morning was excellent. Strategic location if you want to use public transportation. In general, good service.

• Double or Twin Room with Extra Bed

Great location, very close to the metro. Hotel staff were very friendly and accommodating. Breakfast choices were plentiful and rooms were very comfortable.

• Double or Twin Room with Extra Bed

Air-con not great. Would have been handy if there had been a shower curtain over bath. Glass panel over bath was not sufficient to keep water from going all over the floor when having a shower!

Breakfast good. Nice soft mattress.

breakfast choice bigger gym and better access to gym pool

the choice for breakfast was disappointing especially at the weekends. We expected a bigger and better choice of pastries and fresh fruit. The country grows lovely fruit and vegetables and yet we were given tinned fruit rather than fresh produce. All items should have been fresh. The pastries should have been fresh and had more items specific to the area. We were offered custards tarts just on one day.

• Double or Twin Room

We had smoking room without ashtray. In the room could be a carpet and also slippers for guests. No good restaurants near the hotel, only Pizza Hut and Hamburgers.

Hotel is near the metro station. Room was clean, very friendly staff and breakfast very good.

• Double or Twin Room

I wish there had been a hot tub. Also my husband plays the piano and the piano needs to be tuned and the keys aresticking.

The room and bathroom were clean and designed well.

• Double or Twin Room

For the breakfast the sausage tasted a bit undone. Apart from that all was good.

I like the selection of the pillows they had either soft pillow or strong pillow and it was labelled upon entering the room. It made my sleep very pleasant.

• Double or Twin Room

Varied breakfast. Helpful, friendly staff. Quiet room with plenty of space to move around and tea-making facilities in room!!! A choice of pillows- soft or firm. Pleasant atmosphere for a quiet drink before eating.

• Reviewed: 5 May 2017

• Suite

Buffet breakfast was plentiful but not that great in variety or quality

Suite was large and well air conditioned Comfortable Bed & well furnished Very handy for the Metro

• Reviewed: 5 May 2017

• Double or Twin Room

Very easy place to stay and very well situated for access to the Metro. I particularly liked the buffet style evening meals and the littel coffee shop inside the hotel for an easy breakfast.

• Double or Twin Room with Extra Bed

I booked a room for 3 people but wanted to upgrade to a suite. First, the staff were not keen to check properly to see if they can accommodate my request. After repeated requests, I did get the suite eventually but woken up around midnight to be told that I need to vacate the next day. The overall service level was low for the price I paid.

• Double or Twin Room

- EVEN I PAID THE ACCOMMODATION FOR 7 NIGHTS IN ADVANCE, THEY REQUESTED ME MY CREDIT CARD AND ID CARD TO RECHECK THE PAYMENT AND BOOKING ON CHECK IN. IF THE MONEY WAS ALREADY IN THEIR ACCOUNT , WHAT IS THE REASON? AFTER SEVERAL HOURS TRAVELLING ON PLANE AND CONNECTION TO HOTEL, I WAS EXPECTING TO EASILY CHECK IN, NOT HAVING AN EXAMINATION - EVEN I WROTE THEM THAT IT WILL BE OUR HONEY MOON, THEY DID NOT PREPARED NOTHING SPECIAL, NOT EVEN AN WELCOME CARD GREETING – SO NO REAL CUSTOMER CARE - ON CHECK OUT, I HAD TO PAY CITY TAX, WHICH I WAS THINKING IT IS ALREADY PAID - FAR LOCATION FROM HISTORICAL CENTRE – ABOUT 40 MINUTES IF YOU TAKE THE METRO OR ONE HOUR IF YOU TAKE BUSES - IN FACT THE ROOM LOOKS LIKE A THREE STAR HOTEL, NOTHING SPECIAL, JUST OLD STYLE FURNITURE, NOT SO SPACIOUS AS IT IS PRESENTED ON BOOKING.COM - THE WALLS ARE VERY THIN, I COULD EASILY HEAR WHEN SOMEONE ENTERS IN OTHER ROOMS, MAKES A SHOWER OR LISTEN THEIR CONVERSATION. ALSO IF I OPENED THE WINDOW, IT WAS VERY NOISY, EVEN IN THE NIGHT, I COULD HEAR ALL THE TRAFFIC

- METRO STATION AND BUS STATION ARE ABOUT 5 MINUTES FROM HOTEL WITH DIRECT CONNECTION WITH HISTORICAL CITY CENTER - TRAIN STATION IS ABOUT 10 MINUTES WITH DIRECT CONNECTION TO SINTRA - THERE ARE SUPERMARKETS, CAFE AND RESTAURANTS AROUND THE HOTEL - THE ROOM WAS CLEANED AND CHANGED THE TOWELS DAILY - ON CHECK OUT, THE KEPT MY LUGGAGE IN SAFE FOR SEVERAL HOURS

• Reviewed: 7 April 2017

• Suite

I was asked to enroll for membership but still waiting for the mail.There has been no followup from Holiday inn so far.

We enjoyed our stay.It was just perfect.Would recommend to friends.

• Reviewed: 28 March 2017

• Double or Twin Room

Room was quite warm. We had a window that actually opened.

This is a good example for a European H.I. Staff spoke English, room was nice, bed quite comfortable, Service in the coffee shop outstanding,

• Reviewed: 12 March 2017

• Double or Twin Room

A street map would have been helpful. Also entrance steps to hotel seemed to be occupied by smokers so had to ask them to step aside when entering hotel.

Reception staff were helpful and friendly. Also printed boarding pass for me. Staff at breakfast also very friendly and good selection of breakfast items available

• Reviewed: 6 February 2017

• Double or Twin Room with Extra Bed

Top much noise from cleaning staff 7am. Their service door from stairway was close to our door and they took no care and doors were banging, shutting all the time and waking us up too early for a vacation morning.

• Reviewed: 20 January 2017

• Double or Twin Room

On our arrival we were asked to provide them with a copy of both sides of the credit card we used to book the room (of course we refused to do so). No privacy and personal data protection policy whatsoever. The room as well as the inside and the outside of the hotel look dated and need a refurbishment. Towels completely worn out, must have been used at least a million times. Hangers are placed so high in the closet that you need to be at least 1.80 - 1.90 cm tall to use them (or ask for a ladder!). Rather cold staff attitude.

Spacious room with a very large and comfortable bed. Nice view. Located in a quiet neighbourhood, ideal for those who look for a relaxing stay away from the busy city center. Close to metro station. Great new year's eve dinner (congratulations to Fabio, his service was impeccable).

• Reviewed: 16 January 2017

The room door didn't have a closer so it banged closed every time you left the room. The gym was not safely equipped with a weight machine broken and precariously balancing but not bolted to the floor. No notice to say it was out of order. Potentially very dangerous. The small snack bar downstairs had very unhelpful staff. On christmas day we needed to eat before attending a show but she refused to serve us as we could not speak Portuguese. eventually we managed to get someone to understand but it was very unpleasant at the time. No street parking, you will be towed away from this area and parking charge was 12 euros a night.

Rooms were spacious and very clean View of flight path Tea and coffee making facilities Exceptionally good breakfast / room Front desk staff - very helpful

• Reviewed: 4 January 2017

• Suite

I was staying in the suite, but the extra room was not equipped with AC outlets to charge my phones, which I found very uncomfortable.

Good value for the money. Location is also close to the metro station. Also a supermarket with 7 minutes walk came in handy.

• Reviewed: 19 December 2016

• Double or Twin Room

The street name is non existent Pity about entrance steps with luggage. Lift buttons are difficult to read.

GOOD location, beds, breakfast and staff. One of the best hotels I have stayed in, in Lisbon.

• Reviewed: 7 November 2016

• Double or Twin Room

I love the service , the hotel is very clean and staff are wonderful. Very close to Metro transportation and easy to access other places, Definitely will use it again

• Reviewed: 7 November 2016

• Double or Twin Room

If you decided to have the breakfast after 0900 think twice because some kind of food, especially the sweet bakery, will be gone. The pillows from our perspective are too stiff. No slippers in 4* hotel.

The hotel location is quite good. However, for us the location was very appropriate. The breakfast diversified enough, large rooms and bathrooms.

• Reviewed: 2 November 2016

• Double or Twin Room

- the bathroom doors and shower not in perfect condition - too expensive for that standard - hotel more like 3* than 4*

- Very good breakfast - a lot of food to choose - Good localization - near to subway station, shops etc. - Nice room - Helpful personel

• Reviewed: 29 October 2016

• Double or Twin Room

Not enough staff to handle customers especially in the evening. Lines of customers are very long at the front desk. I saw and experienced this each of the three nights I was at the hotel.

• Reviewed: 5 October 2016

• Double or Twin Room with Extra Bed

there was only tea and coffee etc in room 1st day asked for some but did not arrive. luke warm water at breakfast for the hot drinks. Room smelt when air con was on.

• Reviewed: 4 October 2016

• Double or Twin Room

The hotel is quite dated, stuck in the '70s (and not in a good way). The entrance is nice but the rooms are tiny, the air con non-existent which is a major let down especially as it can easily get to 40 C in Lisboa. There is no automatic bell hop service and my mum was made to drag down her own suitcase - drag down some steps. What hotel does not have a ramp??? For the price one pays there has to be more on offer. We've had a pleasant stay, but felt cheated out of a better experience which can also be had. It's a nice hotel but could be so much better and it's imperative that they bring it into the 21st Century.

The Location The Breakfast The Buffet Dinner The Bathroom (even if the shower head & tube could do with a renewal) ***I'd mentioned to the staff that it was my mum's birthday and they left some bubbly & pastries in the room!*** That was amazing and much appreciated.

• Reviewed: 24 September 2016

• Double or Twin Room with Extra Bed

Nice breakfast. Room was good for two people but Small for three. Friendly staff. Location is a Bit Far from the Center but there are some Bus Connections that helps.for example a Bus that goes straight to Belem.

• Reviewed: 27 August 2016

• Double or Twin Room

The air conditioning was not cooling the room properly. Although I requested, there was not a non-smoking room available. The breakfast room was unpleasant and the "natural" orange juice was everything but natural.

Location is ok. The room was spacious. The staff was nice, and tried to minimize the smoking issues with the room.

• Reviewed: 22 August 2016

• Double or Twin Room

The bed is too big for the room. Wasn't able to roll my luggage past the bed to the other side of the room so actually had to carry it over. Other than that, the room is quite comfy. Not the best location if you want to be in a more happening part of town but that's what metro's and taxi's are for.

Breakfast buffet is decent. Rooms are quite small but comfy.

• Reviewed: 21 August 2016

• Double or Twin Room with Extra Bed

Open the other main entrance to hotel with ramp as carrying heavy luggage to walk up stairs was difficult

Breakfast is great and location is near metro and train stations

• Reviewed: 10 August 2016

• Double or Twin Room

Front office attendant as she refused to give me a room with king size bed and said ALL ROOMS WITH KING SIZE BEDS ARE FULLY OCCUPIED. When I argued that this was my special instruction while booking and I did not hear otherwise from the hotel and thus I assumed that my request is being accepted. Due to the Argument male supervisor intervened and he got me a room with a king bed. Which only proved that the female attendant at the reception was not only lieing she was also misbehaving with customer by wrong argument! Also i didnot like your breakfast. It lacks variety for the Asian guests

Your concierge team was excellent. Really helpful and went their wayout to help me with respect to my return flight

• Reviewed: 6 August 2016

• Double or Twin Room

Reception took a while to find my booking. Breakfast was average

The room was large and in a good condition. The bed was comfortable. There was a trouser press in the room .

• Reviewed: 26 July 2016

• Double or Twin Room

Little far from Lisbon center of interest. Only good if you planned to go to the airport without visiting Downtown Lisbon. Parking 16 euros per day!!!

Free parking On Sunday on the street in front of the hotel.

• Reviewed: 21 July 2016

• Suite

Air conditioning did not work and inspite of repeated requests was not fixed over the next two days. Was provided with a rickety table fan for a family of four! No fans provided for the other bed room in the suite!

staff are pleasant and helpful.

• Reviewed: 14 July 2016

• Suite

Breakfast area was small for the size of the hotel. Breakfast was basic but not bad.(Only in comparison to other hotels we stayed at. No swimming pool 😩!

The beds were very comfortable rooms were cosy. Internet worked well.

• Reviewed: 12 July 2016

• Double or Twin Room

The location is not particularly interesting, although there is a metro line nearby. The price was fair but not brilliant value.

Clean, professionally run hotel.

• Reviewed: 2 July 2016

• Double or Twin Room

Prices. They charge for everything, water, weighing luggage and hound you to book and pay for tours when you check in as they get commission.Wi Fi does not work in the rooms and was also down for 1.5 days. LUSCO water in bar fridge is not listed on the price list. It's free everywhere else in Portugal hotels. Charged me $21 Euro for this water for a 6 night stay. They need to advertise this.

Comfortable and big rooms.

• Suite

It’s good location and all staff are friendly

• Suite

Room was too dark, no light enough.

• Double or Twin Room with Extra Bed

parking should be included with free cost.

Very nice hotel to enjoy in family. Easy access downtown and airport.

• Double or Twin Room

Nobody was helping me to bring my two luggagess upto the taxi.

They extended my departure till 3 pm.

• Double or Twin Room

No toiletries, no biscuits, limited coffee, layout of room not goid

• Double or Twin Room

The staff was dismissive and did not answer questions

The staff was sort of dismissive to Americans. But overall I enjoyed lisbon

• Double or Twin Room

Aircon wouldn’t work and didn’t get fixed despite asking. Room smelled like a garbage. Horrible.

Only the free parking