Reviews of VIP Executive Azores Hotel 4 stars

Rotunda de São Gonçalo nº 131 – S. Pedro, 9500-343 Ponta Delgada, Portugal

#30 of 38 hotels in Ponta Delgada

• Standard Double or Twin Room (2 Adults + 1 Child)

The pictures of the property were deceiving. It gives you the impression that it's right next to the water. A nice pool over looking the ocean. The hotel is no where near the water. It's very far off the beaten path. When you walk to the property from the city center and the ocean, the neighborhood was somewhat blighted. The rooms were super small. When we originally got there, the man behind the desk was not very pleasant. He made me feel like I was an imposition checking in to the hotel. By Azorean standards, this hotel charged a king's ransome for these tiny rooms. I don't know how they rate these hotels, but 4 stars it was not. Very disappointing.

Clean, lots of amenities, good breakfast, the rest of the staff were great.

• Standard Single Room

Breakfast should have healthier choices. The gym seriously needs maintenance, with the majority of machines being broken and most of the equipment is rusty. Too expensive .

Good facilities with a lot of potencial

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The jacuzzi was dirty, and the cardio treadmills in the gym need to be replaced fast.

The VIP hotel has spacious rooms, with a small balcony with gives you a view over the city. Breakfast is filne, with enough choices to satisfy everyone. The roof terrace with micro pool, and the indoor pool, sauna and gym adds to the comfort experience. We used the buffet style diner and that was also good value for money.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

I couldn't get WiFi in my room (509), due to poor signal I assume. Also there was a very annoying noise coming from the toilet. No power sources by the bed.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Location was a little farther from the centre, but very convenient for the highway. Also, the rooms are a little small.

Good value for the price. We had breakfast buffet (included) and there was a great variety of choices. Quality of food was also very good. We also tried their buffet dinner and it was very nice too.

• Standard Single Room

The room was with two single beds instead of one 130-150 cm bed (as it was described in the website), room and the hotel itself is not really new and the furniture is quite dirty. The breakfast was not included, but although I wanted to try and payed extra, but can not anybody recommend to do that, the food overall was not tasty at all with few choices and containing low quality products.

Location is pretty good, not very far from the city center and the airport.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Some facilities (e.g. Jacuzzi and Turkish bath) are relatively worse than my expectation. Also it was disappointed that roof terrace was closed.

Very friendly staff, large comfortable rooms with balcony, free parking, good wi-fi and very clean hotel.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

They somehow messed up the payment. I wasn't asked to show my credit card at check-in or check-out. They only realized that they didn't charge us when we wanted to leave the garage so we had a bit of a holdup in the morning when we had to catch our flight. The garage is rather tight. No problem with a small car though.

Check-In was easy and fast, the room big enough and pricing in low season was great. We only stayed one night and had to catch an early flight. Check-out at 5.30am was no problem since there is a 24h reception.

NO kettle!!!

Good sized rooms. We are a family of 5 so we were given two rooms next to each other, 3/2 combination. Unfortunately they do not do 'family rooms'. We liked the roof top restaurant and small dipping pool. There was also a gym and indoor pool in the basement but they didn't open until 10am.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The decor wasn’t great, there were quite old carpets everywhere but that’s the only thing, other than that the overall experience was really great

Nice hotel located very close to the city centre. Staff was very friendly and helpful. Had a really good time

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Staff could not inform me correctly about bus connections. I prefer no information than wrong informations. Staff was friendly though

I liked the proximity to the airport

• Standard Double or Twin Room (2 Adults + 1 Child)

Tried to contact reception for about 15 minutes, but no answer. I had to come down and inquired the receptionist. She answered she was busy with another client. I asked if this was an emergency ? She said nothing. My advice was to pick up the phone and tell me she was busy with another client and I could wait or she could said “ I will call you back asap”

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The rooms are not so well lit particularly in the bathroom where the lights are set to one end of the room so take care if you use a bladed razor.even though it's on the edge of town. One point to note is that I booked through Booking.com several weeks in advance and this was the first occasion that a hotel took payment in full well in advance of my stay, so beware.

The accommodation is exactly as described and the staff both helpful and pleasant. The rooms could do with a little bit of tlc. On balance it's a good value for money place that I would happily return to.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Too expensive for the current conditions. The hotel has not had the necessary maintenance; the carpets are stained, there were holes in one of the bath towels and one of the bedroom curtains was ripped. Furniture is somewhat old fashioned. The location is ugly, it's in the outskirts of the city.

Breakfast is ok. Health club, parking lot and indoor pool free to use.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The hotel is much older than what the photos shows but in general was fine. It would have been great if the balconies rail is transparent to see the sea while sitting.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The breakfast was a little bit poor. For a 4 star hotel I was expecting a little bit more variety and above all quality.

The bed (mattress) is quite good and confortable.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Room service cost was a bit high for what you were getting. Same for breakfast/lunch. Very few vegetarian options. But they were accommodating.

Location was good with ease of access. Staff was friendly and helpfull.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The carpark is down a steep ramp and quite tight, so best if you have a small car. It is good if you have your own transport and close to the airport but not so convenient for wandering around the town. Staff on reception were OK, but quite slow. Pool does not open until 10:00 am so no early morning swims.

The rooms were clean and spacious and we styed half board with buffet breakfast and a buffet dinner with wine. The spa downstairs is great with a pool, sauna, steam room and hot tubs. Our room was at the rear on a higher floor and think we actually had better views and quieter rooms than those facing the sea

• Suite Room

Traffic from roundabout in front of hotel was a bit noisy when windows were open but it was not too bad, exercise equipment a bit worn out but functional, exercise room was humid from pool below, and mattress may be too firm if you like a soft mattress.

location: 2 min drive to highway, 10 min walk to waterfront, 15 min walk to old town, 5 min walk to supermarket and bakery/cafe, nice view of mountains and ocean in the distance. Exercise Room: Lots of equipment in fitness room. Quiet rooms (when windows closed). Room was very clean. Nicely decorated and updated rooms with nice tile and stone counters in the bathroom. Safe in room to store valuables. We had a large corner room with views to both the south and east. Fountain in the roundabout with lights is turned on in the evening. Pleasant staff all around. Excellent value. Plenty of parking spaces available in underground.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Central location to tour around Sao Miguel. Within close driving distance of shops and restaurants but also within walking distance to coffee shops and 20 minute walk to the main street and ocean. Hotel staff were helpful. We had a problem with one room which was quickly resolved. Hotels in Ponta Delgada are very full and very expensive. The VIP provided good value for what we got with four star surroundings.

• Standard Double or Twin Room (2 Adults + 1 Child)

The rugs in some areas could be refurbished, but that's common to most Hotels.

We did not experience any of the negatives we read in some reviews. Our room on the 5th floor was very quiet and comfortable with great views from our Balcony. The rooftop deck and small swimming pool was great, the views spectacular. the Breakfast was a buffet style and was extremely varied and delicious. Secure Parking in the underground parking was great with very easy access to the main Hwy just 30 seconds away. Downtown Porto Delgada can be very difficult driving and parking can be challenging. A lot of the more interesting areas are pedestrian only so after attempting to drive and park there once we decided it was easier to walk to the area from the hotel which took about 20 minutes. This Hotel is ideal for your first and last night due to it's proximity to the Airport.. We found the Staff to be very friendly, multi lingual, and very helpful providing Maps and recommendation.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Very tired looking hotel food is awful everything feels like it needs updating very hot and stuffy except in the room as air con works there

• Standard Double or Twin Room

We spent a whole week in this hotel. The room was nice, clean and comfortable, the arrea is quiet. It was a bit far from city centre of Ponta Delgada, but it was easy to find. (In Sao Miguel it is recommended to rent a car, because there is no public transport or only between bigger cities) The breakfast was OK, with delicious cakes and jams (carrot&ginger and pineapple jam were great). I would recommend this hotel.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Wifi slow at times in the room and almost non-existent. Parking garage not obvious signposted, my partner had to get off the car to ask for directions to the garage. Hotel generally quite old and not as modern as the other hotels we stay in, but good value for the money.

Free parking in an underground garage. Great value for money, booked the property for £150 for 3 nights, although I noted prices had gone up to >£200 the next day. Room was clean, spacious and comfortable.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

No changing or locker facilities for pool/sauna users. Had to pass through public area to get to lift in swimwear to get to room to change. Sauna temperature poor. Very bad facilities in the leisure area for older people with some limb stiffness. No grab rails etc. Carpets could be a lot cleaner. All looks a bit sad. A courtesy car to centre instead of round trip cost of 10 euros would be appreciated. Not geared up for stays of more than a couple of days

Staff were pleasant and helpful

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Although the building itself is great, the location is a little out of the way compared to where everything in Ponta Delgada is.

Dinner, though not included with the room, was wonderful. The staff were extremely helpful and made the stay stress-free.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

My flight arrived early in the morning and when using google maps to find the hotel google tells you how much the rooms are being advertised for on different sites. I didn't see any site that was chargering more than $65 a night for my room including THIS ONE I BOOKED WITH! I contacted them and they just talked there way around it then failed to respond to follow up requests to refund the difference as adervtised. The hotel was charging me more than $120 a night. The hotel was OK but not more than $120 a night OK. What makes me angry was if I clicked on the hyper link for this site on google maps' page it would take me to my app for this site and it tells me "no rooms are available" but if I used my browser for THIS site(not signed in) it told me 5 rooms are left at $65.(confirmed with staff) Also the staff wouldn't allow an early check in and since I was exhausted from my flight arriving at 6am I was forced to nap in the noisey hotel lobby until 2pm. Again normally not a problem but if you charge more than $120 a night it's just poor service and bad policy.They also told me the room wasn't available but after I finally checked in the room was already serviced and the hotel maid arrived 15 mins after to clean the room on her rounds and didn't think it was already cleaned (hence the room was available when I arrived early probably since the day before) The room was clean but wasn't worth more than $50 a night. Little to shabby for $120 rate. The restaurant buffet helped a bit with a large full breakfast but too little too late. Let me also say I exclusively used THIS SITE for all my traveling. I spend about 3 months a year seeing the world. Im what this site refers to as a "genius member" status but will never book with them again after this.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Our room view was of a Kia car dealership.

A good base to explore Sao Miguel from. Good comfortable mattress and pillows. Helpful Staff. Free parking. Mid-day check-outs.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

could have updated the carpets

The staff are helpful while outside the centre its only about 20 minutes walk downhill also there is a local shuttle bus service which runs past the front door great views of the sea and balconies if you get the room on the right side

• Standard Double or Twin Room (2 Adults + 1 Child)

Long wait at check in, rarely had more than one person at reception and we went in the peak season, august. Probably paid a huge premium for august so it wasn't worth it.

Clean place with modern furnishing.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The outdoor pool is ALOT smaller than expected and very cold. And when I first asked where the pool was they directed me to the indoor pool which was in a dark area of the hotel. Then I asked again where the outdoor pool, the woman at the desk, says in Portuguese "well you asked me where the pool was. You didn't ask where the outdoor pool was." Maybe I should have been more specific, OR maybe they could have asked! And also, there is not bellhop. We had to carry all our bags out of the car and up to our room ourselves. There was only 2 people at the front desk when we checked in.

The air conditioner worked very well. We were able to sleep very comfortable.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Hotel pool was too cold to use during our stay, not much atmosphere in the rooftop terrace.

Hotel was only 20 minutes walk into the centre of Ponta Delgada. Very clean and comfortable, with the added bonus of a balcony in our room. Staff were friendly and available at any time to help. We stayed here for 3 nights, making it a great base while we visited the west coast of the island.

The location is a bit far from the city centre. There was a lack of staff at the breakfast, so they weren't able to clean the tables in time, and we had to wait sometimes for a free table quite a bit. WiFi didn't work in my room.

The room was clean. Free underground parking is great. There is a travel agency in the hotel, so you can book some excursions right away.

• Reviewed: 19 August 2017

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Very dirty hotel, with no friendly staff. Swimming pool not working, and really not nice to spend time at the hotel, no facilities, the room furniture old and broken and very dirty walls and carpets.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

the swimming pool was not working, was prohibited and we were not informed about that before arriving the carpet was very old and wiht dirty look in the bethroom and hall of the rooms. Very expensive cosidering these problems.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

we had used hotel soap in room and some hairs from previous guests in bath. Unlike all other hotels we stayed in on Azores, this one was way too formal.

Good breakfast Large room

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Pool and roof decking is closed for the summer with no notification. This was the only reason we chose this hotel over another. When we asked the staff about this they said we can leave if we want. We asked to speak with a manager and they said they didn't want to speak with us that our option was to leave or pay. We only stayed because all of ponta delgada was booked up at this stage. Dirty dated hotel no where near 4 star quality and absolutely way overpriced.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

It is old hotel. It definitely should be refurbished. The impression is that for the past 20 years not much maintenance work has been done... During the stay the terrace and the pool was closed so not much could be said about these facilities.

I actually did not like the hotel... The staff was friendly and very helpful.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

We stayed at this hotel 3 nights before in a decent room, nothing special but upon coming back for a last night we found ourselves in a much inferior room with a view over a parking lot, different sheets and lumpy pillows. The manager said that breakfast was included when we checked in and the next day it was not, the staff was very unfriendly at the reception when we asked about it so we went out for breakfast. The main pool was closed for maintenance all summer, which was not indicated at the time of booking. It is about 15 minutes walk to the center so it is not exactly close. I would not stay here again.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The pool was out of order for the week. It was a little inconvenient but I came to see the island anyway. About a 20 min. Walk to the center of town. Walking there is ok.. it's downhill. Walking back, it takes a little longer lol. I didn't mind the walk, except when walking back in the drizzling rain one night. There are taxis, but I just felt I didn't need to use while in town. Even still, it was just a little inconvenient but I still recommend this hotel very much!

Very comfy room. All employees were professional and nice to talk to. There is a decent gym all guests can use. Pretty quiet at night (not near the center of Ponta Delgada).

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Outdoors pool area looked a little dated and bare.

Dinner buffet was tasty and varied, staff were incredibly curteous and helpful, and the hotel is only a short walk from the marina area.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Price, considering the value for money, it was a bit expensive.

Good bakery on the next street with cheaper than the hotel breakfast, supermarket close by. The room was ok, good view towards the sea.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The Spa area (jacuzzi, saunas, pool) could be better looked after. Water and saunas were cold-ish.

Great location if you want to explore the island by car with a very spavious car park, too. Rooms are large and clean with a nice view. Helpful staff always available!

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The receptionist was not welcoming. And when we arrive he asked to be paid the full price even before greeting a welcome or explaining The hotel's facilities and organisation...

Localizaçao.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

No tea or coffee facilities in room which you'd expect from price , pillows bit uncomfortable , decor dated throughout. Check in took forever as only 1 person on desk and lots of people arriving at the same time

We didon't eat so not sure about breakfast. Nice bathroom space and room size ok, away from the noise, pretty fountain outside , next to supermarket and am. Room.was clean

• Reviewed: 7 May 2017

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The breakfasts were the worst i have had probably ever. . Fruit juice from a machine bascqlly tasteless and very full of water. Scrambled egg made for powdered eggs. Fresh fruit Melon *two types ( only ., Coffee again from a machine . and all this at a ridiculous price, .

• Reviewed: 4 May 2017

• Standard Double or Twin Room (2 Adults + 1 Child)

The beds need replacing. The springs or something was coming through the matress. Also brighter lights would be helpful.

The hotel was very clean, quiet with good facilities. The location was convenient to local bakeries, cafes and a large grocery store.

Wi-Fi slow at times.

Big room, very clean, spacious bathroom. Free garage parking below, which was very convenient. Close distance to pretty much everything.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Wi-Fi can be slow at times. Saw some debris in one corner of room which should have been cleaned.

Very spacious bath and room. Clean, comfortable beds, parking free in the garage. Staff willing to help, gave us towels for a couple of days until we returned. Location perfect if you have a car, but walk to town still just 15min or so away. Nice views of the sea from upper floors. Would book again.

• Reviewed: 6 April 2017

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The Location. It is a lit bit away from the city centre.

The Bed was very comfortable, however the pillow wasn't. The Extra facilities (Swimming-pool, jacuzzi, sauna) were a plus to this trip.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Everything in this hotel was excellent. Nice big room, fantastic breakfast, tours can be booked in the hotel, nice view, perfectly located, small supermarket 5min away, bus from and to the airport stops at the hotel. Just perfect.

• Reviewed: 19 February 2017

• Standard Double or Twin Room (2 Adults + 1 Child)

The A/C wasn't quite right. The bathroom sink was clogged. Even after we reported it nothing was done about it. There was a dead centipede under the bathroom trash bin. We also found a quarter from a previous guest, but I guess that was cool.

Unlike many other hotels, the wifi doesn't send you back to the login portal every time you connect. The staff are friendly and the parking is very convenient. Great regional jam and cheese for breakfast. Decent dinner too.

• Reviewed: 23 January 2017

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The breakfast was very poor. We paid extra for it (and not cheap) and was a bad deal. The bed was not a couple one, but two matresses together, being not confortable at all.

The location, the free parking.

• Reviewed: 13 January 2017

• Standard Double or Twin Room

This is the worst hotel I have ever stayed in. The staff need to go a skills with people course to learn how to speak and smile. Our bed had springs sticking in us and when we complained they tried to cover it and made it worst. Ponta Delgada is a very fantastic clean and wonderful place to visit with very friendly people. I don't know were The VIP Hotel got there staff from because it is so out of character to the rest of the island. This hotel spoiled a great holiday this was our second visit and we will return but not to this hotel from he'll. The 4.2 rating you have given is way to high.

• Reviewed: 28 September 2016

• Family Room with Balcony

The staff was so friendly; they ordered taxis for us, answered our silly questions, recommended a FANTASTIC restaurant for dinner, etc. We had a full breakfast which was wonderful (and rare and much appreciated, given most of our breakfast choices in Portugal were only pastries). All in all, a great experience. Would stay there again.

• Reviewed: 21 September 2016

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Mattresses could be more comfortable. Parking area was dirty and entrance from there to the hotel could be in better conditions

Rooms were nice and clean. Staff was helpful and chek-in/ check out was quick. Free parking

• Reviewed: 20 September 2016

Swimming pool and other things could have been cleaner and also not under maintenance Hotel a bit far from city center

Swimming pool and friendly staff

• Reviewed: 28 August 2016

• Standard Double or Twin Room (2 Adults + 1 Child)

Staff was rude(except housekeeping who were very nice) pool small they do not honor their advertising. No ice no coffee pot and no iron! Overall very dissapointing.

Not much! I booked for 10 days. We stayed one night.When I booked I booked with breakfast included. When we arrived I was told that my package didn't include breakfast! I spoke with Manager Nelia who spoke down to me and insisted that it was my error when I showed her the site I booked from she then said it was there error but wouldn't budge it was 8.50 per person for breakfast.Rooftop pool isn't much bigger than a large hot tub! And there is no coffee pot or iron in the rooms. I was very disappointed Went back online and found a perfect little house for less than half their price for the next nine days.Couldn't have been happier. I would never stay at VIP again!

• Reviewed: 23 July 2016

• Standard Double or Twin Room (2 Adults + 1 Child)

Breakfast at 7:30 when many customers have an early flight at Ponta Delgada Airport, not even a coffee machine or a boiler in the room. Very uncomfortable bed and room far from being street-sound proof.

Not much to say in favor except that there are not so many "standard" hotels in Ponta Delgada.

• Reviewed: 20 July 2016

• Standard Double or Twin Room (2 Adults + 1 Child)

In the corridor, near our bedroom, there was a stain of ink, nothing special, but it would be nice to be cleaned.

At night, wE couldn´t hear any noise at all. it was very quiet.

• Reviewed: 30 June 2016

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Maid service was skipped for a day for unknown reasons

Breakfast started early, running quite late accommodating early birds as well as people sleeping in.

• Reviewed: 27 June 2016

• Standard Single Room

The bread of the breakfast was awful! (old and dry). Therefore everybody was toasting the bread but I don't like toast. So I brought bread from the local bakery instead to the breakfast room.

The staff was very helpful and friendly. The rooms were comfortable and clean. There is a very wide choice for breakfast. Many facilities such as a fitness room, spa, swimming pool. The television on the room is of high quality. The shower is great.

• Reviewed: 26 June 2016

• Standard Double or Twin Room

There seems to be very little going on in the area around the hotel but this could be just my first impression...maybe with more time available it would have been different. Pity there were no tea/coffee making facilities...would have been nice to have them while going through my documents in the middle of the night! When I went to settle my payment, the billing system took ages to respond so it may be in need of an upgrade (the front office staff were very apologetic and they were absolutely not to blame)

The hotel was generally very clean and the staff was extremely helpful. The location is close to the airport and also close to my meeting venue therefore for a business trip it is fine. The room was comfortable and quite spacious. Breakfast was abundant and varied. Overall the experience was a pleasant one

• Reviewed: 24 June 2016

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The beds were a bit hard for our liking.

Great location, enjoyed the view from our balcony. The desk clerks were friendly and helpful whenever we had inquiries.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The bed was a bit hard for me but that's just me .

Its close to the motorway and has a garage.

Nil.

Staff.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

- Not in the center of the city even if Ponta Delgada is a small city

- The kindness of the staff - The room is great - The free parking

• Standard Double or Twin Room

There are no plugs in the room to charge the cellphone?!

• Standard Single Room

Everything! The breakfast was awful.

Looks a very run down property. Does not make you feel comfortable and a feeling you are in a holiday place.

Wi-fi

Health club with gymnasy and car parking

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Some staff members were rude and brusque.

Room was comfortable. Breakfast was good but expensive.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Breakfast and bar were expensive

Friendly staff, clean, good price.

Sauna could be warmer! :D

Personal is very friendly! Its a very clean and comfortable place, well located! Has very nice spa! Close to city center!

Breakfast could na better.

Very nice service!!!

• Standard Double or Twin Room (2 Adults + 1 Child)

the staff was super kind and helpful :)

Browse VIP Executive Azores Hotel traveller photo gallery