Reviews of Hotel Nacional 3 stars

Rua Castilho, 34, Santo Antonio, 1250-070 Lisbon, Portugal

#227 of 329 hotels in Lisbon

Location: very easy to reach the hotel as the underground station is a couple of steps away. Check-in/check-out: simple and easy Comfort: quite high, considering you spend the day out and you just sleep at night Safety: 100% Breakfast: basic, simple but enough for a short stay

Interior. Proper curtains. The old fashioned woolen plaids on the bed. It is NOT WORTH the money. We stayed 3 days in Hotel Iberostar in the same street. (200 meters away) for 15€ more with all the luxery that belongs to the price. Including in and outdoor swimming pools.

The hotel is old. Staff not skilled. Only location is nice.

• Twin Room with Extra Bed

I know Lisbon pretty well as I was in school in the Campo Pequeno area for a short while. I therefore wanted to be where all the action is without needing to check the time of the last metro. I therefore wanted to be in Chiado/Alfama/Bairro Alto where all the cafés, restaurants and bars are. However booking. com cancelled my original booking in the historical centre the evening before we left so we had no choice but to stay at this place further out as it was too late to do anything else. It's a very quiet area.

We had a large room with a balcony and the receptionist gave us a room on the top floor. The rooms are a bit dated but I think it's a reasonable deal for what you pay, as breakfast is also included. The area is quiet, so no disturbances by people leaving restaurants, bars or cafés late at night.

The garage was full at the time of our arrival. Luckily, the public parking nearby was available and it's free during night time. And we stayed at the hotel just for several night hours. We had problems with our key (they seem quite ineffective) - it didn't work at first, but a doorman helped us out. Unfortunately, there were no double rooms available, so we got the twins one. But once again it's OK for one night.

The hotel was totally worth its money. Nothing fancy, but OK for a one-night stay. The breakfast was included, but we didn't see it because we checked out very early in the morning (before it was served). Wi-Fi works fine.

Day front desk manger not that friendly and moody. I felt intimidated having to ask for anything.

Very helpful evening front desk manager (Joao, I believe), extremely helpful, friendly and knowledgeable about Lisbon.

Front desk person, on day shift, could use some dusting off his manners and brighten up his mood. I felt intimidated, afraid to ask questions.

Front desk person really very helpful, could be in a 5 star hotel for manners and willingness to help (Joao, if I remember name correctly). Clean place, well located, good enough breakfast.

We came earlier for 1 day to Lisbon, but our hotel was fully booked,so we had to stay 1 night. So stayed only one night-the staff is amazing-trying to help with any issue you faced. The hotel,in general,needs refreshment. The breakfast is good,and the location is nice as well.

• Twin Room with Extra Bed

The waiter responsible for the breakfast room was extremily rude and inconvenient. He doesn't know how the appropriate way to treat hotel guests even working on it. The breakfast was very simple and nothing special.

The hotel has a good location and the price was very good and it was according our expectative. I reserved it in the last minute of my trip, so it was very convenient to me and my family. The staff was very friendly and tried to solve our problems.

Air con was a bit dubious; more noise than cool air. Even the "quiet" room on one of the top floors had a fair bit of traffic noise too. Earplugs recommended. Only 2 power outlets in our room, one of which was in the cupboard where the mini-fridge used to sit, which left charging electronics quite far from the beds.

Very friendly receptionists who could mosly speak English and give advice about the local area. Convenient to a minipreço for groceries and snacks and a McDonalds if you end up checking in late at night after a delayed flight.

Nothing negative

Great city centre hotel. Good value for money. Ample breakfast. Staff were great especially the evening receptionist who had the most brilliant smile and attitude. Thank you

The receptionist on the afternoon to midnight shift (Pedro) was super friendly, considerate and went out of his way to assist with everything. He displayed true customer service!

• Reviewed: 16 December 2017

Old hotel, old furniture and decor. Dust as you would expect from old carpeting and curtains. Standard room is rather small, bathroom not particularly clean, fixed shower head with extremely low water pressure. Small underground parking subject to availability. Every time you arrive at the hotel you must park outside, go to the front desk and ask for permission to park in the garage, most staff will speculate the parking is probably full even if it's empty (no idea why) and will seem slightly frustrated if there's still parking available for clients.

Location Comfortable bed Nice waitress at restaurant/bar (breakfast)

The neighborhood immediately around the hotel doesn't offer many restaurant offerings.

The breakfast included with my room was good, although for longer stays it can get "boring". All the staff was cheery and welcoming but not all speak English fluently. However the two gentlemen who were fluent were extremely helpful and caring and obviously cared about the well being of their guests. The hotel is a short walk from a Metro station and several bus stops that with a transport pass can easily get you around town. The rooms were meticulously neat and clean.

Be very careful when walking in the city: on our way to airport by Metro, thieves almost got my small purse with passports etc.

Very friendly personnel, especially in the breakfast room (Thank you!). Safe environment and convenient for Metro travel. Clean and safe, what more can you want on a shorter stay in the center of a big city!

Bath-tabby. Very old flakes and shower curtain needs to be changed or cleaned.

Breakfast good. Location very good. I took the Airport bus with a very attentive driver. It is a 3* hotel nothing more.

The furniture was quite old, but still the room was clean. There was only an overhead shower, which is surprising in a normal bathtub.

The hotel is located not far away from the main shopping street in Lisbon. There is free underground parking, which was really good, because in this area you have only paid parking on the streets and it really hard to find the place.

A little bit far from the center, 20-30 minutes walk. I don't like when staff insists on buying some tours, which the guy on the reception did.

Free parking. Good hotel for this money.

Front desk staff could have been more friendly and welcoming, and the facilities are tired - this place must have looked very hip and cool when it was last renovated in the early nineties! Definitely needs a refresh to bring it back to its former glory! Parking is limited to 10 spaces on a first come basis,and if you do manage to get a space in the lower levels, get ready for some tight turns to get down there!

Easy to get to by car, this hotel is located in the financial district within a short safe walking distance to a nearby metro station. Extra bonuses included in the stay was free underground parking and breakfast. Housekeeping did a great job keeping the hotel spotless, and the breakfast buffet and seating area was very well attended to and kept well stocked.

The breakfast is ok, but it could be better for a 3-star hotel. The dining room is quite small.

Good value for the money taking into account the current prices of hotels in Lisbon. Very well localized.

The hotel was easy to find and it is near marques de pombal metro station.I was expecting i could use the safe for us to leave our valuables, but found out it was not working(not a big deal).Breakfast is ok.

• Reviewed: 9 June 2017

• Twin Room with Extra Bed

For some reason there was an extra roll away bed in the living room but I didn't ask because they upgraded me to a suite. :)

I arrived to find my single room upgraded to a two room suite. They have a park garage but it happened on of two spaces right in front of the hotel was open and they allowed me to use it for two days. Well protected from street traffic and so easy to just walk out to the car!!

A great hotel and wonderful staff. Right in middle of Lisbon close to historic old city. Underground parking a bonus. The hotel, clean, comfortable and great price too. We loved it and Joseph was a great help at the front desk as he spoke English and was very professional and kind.

Fridges and kettles in room

I would agree with previous comments that the decor is a little dated - I was able to get plenty of food and space for my breakfast each day - there is a reasonably good choice on the buffet and there is sufficient there to suit all appetites - the staff are always friendly, polite and helpful - my room was spotless and comfortable - the only thin lacking woukd be a kettle to make teas or coffees in your room - I woukd recommend this hotel and will return there next time I visit Lisbon

• Reviewed: 9 April 2017

Breakfast is a little short of options but I don't expect much more for the price.

Anyone who is a fan of the 80s should definitely stay here. The interior hasn't changed in 40 years and it's fabulously retro! All I want is a good shower (tick) a comfortable bed (tick) and polite staff (tick). Very happy with my stay.

• Reviewed: 15 February 2017

Everything was more than acceptable.

Everything, we had no complaints at all, we have stayed there many times over the years and the standard has never dropped.

• Reviewed: 13 February 2017

Since my check in to check out I enjoy my stay at Hotel National. Staff were very helpful and room was clean and bed very comfortable. I travel with car and Hotel have 24h secure free parking very helpful. Breakfast was great with all fresh. For sure will stay there again.

• Twin Room with Extra Bed

We found our room door open a few times. Fortunately, nothing was missing. That seems to have been caused by a problem with the lock: it seemed to be locked (we doubled checked) but in the evening we returned to find it unlocked.

The staff were kind, multilingual and efficient.

• Reviewed: 29 December 2016

furnitures a little bit old. Breakfast is normal, not many to choose. The rooms on the street side could be very noisy because the poor window sealing.

Good location, near the metro and bus stops. Very nice staffs, expecially the front desk. Good wifi.

• Reviewed: 16 December 2016

terrible breakfast. there is almost nothing in the room, no refrigerator, no slippers, no water, etc. they dont change towels. they fold up the used ones to be reused..

it is a great location, walking distance to the old city or downtown

• Reviewed: 31 October 2016

Hotel rooms are a little bit old. The lift is very small capacity (as volume). Only one lift is working and if you stay in 9th floor it is difficult to reach into your floor or vice versa in crowded time... Moreover, the shower has only separated with a curtain from other side of bath which is very small. Nevertheless, the room is enough for one person.

I like the location of hotel. Also the breakfast is good for me. The bed is moderate and cleaning is good. Personals are funny...

• Reviewed: 7 October 2016

Very old furnishings and run down room Bed felt lumpy and Luke there was plastic under the sheets Old rough towels

The breakfast was good and the hotel was a 5 min walk from the Metro

• Reviewed: 6 October 2016

The rooms to the street are pretty noisy as the windows are not so well isolating, if you are sensitive to noises ask for a room to the back. The shower head sprayed water in all directions and only few water came out. It has no flexible tube nor adjustable shower rail, this should be replaced to be up to date.

Partly refurbished hotel rooms, comfortable bed, ok for €63 in october.

it was noisy in the room, but we stayed one night so it wasn't bothering us, if we had stayed longer then I would have definitely asked to change the room, the noise was coming from the ventilators located on the 1-2 levels I guess.

good location, free parking lot, breakfast was quite ok

• Reviewed: 9 September 2016

The space for a small refrigerator was there, but it was missing -- it would've been nice to keep some cold drinks.

Great breakfast! Great, central location! One of our favorite walks (all downhill) to the Tejo river, going by Restauradores, Rossio and Baixa to Terreiro do Paco - beautiful! Then, took taxi back. Sent from my iPhone

• Reviewed: 1 September 2016

The hotel is quite close to the underground, so it is perfect if you are arriving late. The room I had was quite spatious, even though it was supposed to be for one person. Sound isolation of the windows could be better but in general it is a good place to stay.

• Reviewed: 21 August 2016

The hotel is super old and needs a serious tlc. All decor and items are from early 90s and I assume many of those are still being used by guests and in need of replacement. Shower curtain was not clean (or mouldy). Shower head was somewhat blocked. One of the towels in our room had a hole in it. Breakfast options were limited, all scrambled eggs contained ham (not vegetarian friendly). Most fruit in the basket were not fresh. Coffee not portuguese style, but filter made or even instant. Wifi was not always accessable, had to walk around in the room to find a good spot. Our room had a folder with papers in it and most were irrelevant (old filled out questionnaires by other guests).

We were allowed to check in early. Location is good - very close to Avenida Liberdade and metro.

• Reviewed: 7 August 2016

The wifi was awful. I could barely get wifi in my room. Even in the lobby, right next to one of the routers, it would only stay connected for a few minutes at a time. Further, even when it was connected it wasn't very fast.

My room was dark and quiet at night. The AC worked well. I was able to check in an hour early.

• Reviewed: 2 August 2016

Poor breakfast. Very small parking with a few places to park. We had to park on the street. Toilet did not flush well. Bad pressure in the shower.

Good location. Overall ok.

• Reviewed: 26 July 2016

The staff are not friendly. When booking, it was said that it has free parking but when we arrived, the first sentence before any greeting was that "the parking is full." They provided one the next morning though. When checking out, their farewel was showing four fingers meaning that we should pay four euro for tax (mentioned in booking). No smile included! There is no ironing facilities. Water was not going down easily in the bathroom. Internet was terrible. The room was noisy because of cars. This might not be true for all rooms though.

Low price

It was too expensive

A bit outdated. With a nice renovation it would be a perfect place!

Location:)

Needing urgent refurbishing.

Good location. Size of room and bathroom big enough.

Quite expensive for what you get

Great location in the city with free parking and ok breakfast included

Wifi was bad and breakfasts very weak.

Free parking available - it's a huge bonus for hotels in city center.

Looks a little tired and needs modernising

Free parking next to hotel.Near tourist bus terminal.

• Twin Room with Extra Bed

Hotel is a little older than expected, but very good and comfortable. Breakfast was OK.

Parking available

The mattress was not comfortable

The location. The help you get from the staff. The service you get

lovely staff

Lift not working properly, restaurant limited

Nice view of beach

The bedding.

The room we were allocated was very smokey and we had to change. The bedding was very sparse.

Location, Cleanness

The smell in the room.

The staff was very nice.

Very small beds, noisy, a little outdated rooms

Good for a short stay.

The staff is very friendly and helpful. The location of the hotel is convenient and close to the city center.

Staff, location, everything. Good value for money.

Everything, it was just so worthwhile friendly staff great rooms , a short stay and will definitely return.

Too far from city centre Poor bathroom Poor internet

Clean

Furniture should be changed and breakfast enriched

Personnel was very nice and location was close to the old centre.

Nice hotel for private trips to Lisbon

Extremely uncomfortable beds and lumpy pillows.

An option of underground parking is very appreciated, otherwise, parking on the street is really expensive in Lisbon.

Compared with other 3 stars hotel this one is not worth of money. It is pretty old.

Very clean, comfortable bathroom, cozy

The Bathroom, too small especially the shower.

Comfortable room, at a great location

Very comfortable and close to the city centre and metro station

Underground hotel paking was always full, but stuff help to find parking near hotel.

Good location and price/value.

Good from a cost x benefit perspective. Close to main attractions. Good breakfast and clean rooms. Quiet place.

There were no pillows even in the room. Just a sheet on the bed. Not a very pleasant experience.

The location is brilliant, staff friendly, breakfast good and bed comfortable so everything you want in a hotel.

Hard bed

Everything was nice; excellent staff, comfortable room, good breakfast

Browse Hotel Nacional traveller photo gallery